Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Tires, tires, tires

Comments

• Options
    beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    I put X-Ones on my MPV several months ago and I've been very pleased with them. Some folks on the MPV 2000+ board have also expressed a liking for Dunlop (tboner comes to mind). I've raised the 92 vs. 94 load rating issue too, but no replies. I guess it's not much of a problem, especially in light load use like yours (and mine). Good luck.
  • Options
    futbolreffutbolref Member Posts: 4
    Thanx for the recommendations. I believe I need to replace all 4 tires after comments relating to safety issues.

Next problem--Load & speed rating. The owner's manual for this coupe states that OEM tire service description is "91V" which I take as "91 load rating--1356 lbs)" and "V speed rating--149 mph)."

The Dunlop SP Sport A2 seems to only be available in the 91-H service desciption for the size P205/60R16.

Since the H speed rating measures at 130 mph, and since I expect to rarely (if ever) travel in excess of 85 mph, am I sacrificing something here by going with an H-rated tire over a V-rated tire?

Is the H-rated tire "safe" for the V6 Accord coupe?

Michelin offers the Energy MXV4 Plus in both the H and V ratings. Evidently, Dunlop offers only the H version.
  • Options
    rickmtb2rickmtb2 Member Posts: 7
    Seems odd that Honda requires a v-rated tire. My Maxima, at least equally performance-oriented, specs a H-rated tire. The SP Sport A2 would seem a very good tire. Also the Bridgestone Potenza RE950 (just got four for my Max... could find anywhere with the Dunlops). Seems most Hondas I have seen use Michelins, so look at the XGT-H4.

If you really have to get a V-rated tire Kumho (sp?) get good reviews and they are pretty affordable. And I think you can get Yokohamo A550s in a vrated tire pretty cheap.

Good resource is www.tirerack.com
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Tire Pressure Monitor Rules OK'd

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826

Most Chevrolet Corvette's have individual "tire monitors" which represent the latest technological adaptation. The best thing I can say about them is that on the model that I have, the Z06 does not have them, thank goodness!
  • Options
    m1tommym1tommy Member Posts: 29
    The OEM was 195/75R14. I've been running 205/75R14 tires for several years with no problems. Can anyone tell me if a tire in 225/70R14 would work, or what issues I may have?

I am considering some "Dunlop Radial Rover A/T" tires in the last size, 225/70R14. They're also available in 205/75. However, if I can I'll go with the slightly lower profile ratio. As I'd be buying "online", I don't have the luxury to "buy & try".

Per my ciphering, the 225/70R14 would be 3.75mm taller and 20 mm wider than the 205/75R14 tire. I don't think that the taller tire would be a problem, but am not sure how to check for the added 10mm on "each side".

If this should be on another forum, please advise. Opinions or advice are appreciated.
    Tommy
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268
    I agree--I doubt if the wider tire will pose a problem. The only issue you may encounter would be if the sidewalls of a front tire or tires rubs against the vehicle when the steering wheel is at full lock. The easiest way to check for this is to turn the wheels all the way to the left, then look for the needed clearance (10 mm = 1 cm) along the inside edge of both front tires. Turn the wheels all the way to the right and repeat. You should also make sure the load rating on the 225/70 is equal to or greater than the one specified by the factory. Good luck--let us know how it turns out!
  • Options
    hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    I like the system in my MINI Cooper which uses the ABS sensors. It means you can use any wheels while the other system limits your choices, usually just to OEM. I have runflats on my Cooper but you have choice of any tires and it functions with normal rubber or runflats.

Overall, it is amazing what they do with ABS sensors these days. Braking, traction control, pressure monitors, what's next?
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    hpulley4 said: "...it is amazing what they do with ABS sensors these days. Braking, traction control, pressure monitors, what's next?"

A lot of things, including electronic brake force distribution and various types of stability control systems. The former allows brake pressure to follow the vehicles "ideal torque curve," i.e., the optimum balance between front and rear torque. Conventional systems can only approximate the optimum and need rear brake proportioning to even get close.

With the addition yaw and steering angle sensors, the ABS system can selectively apply pressure to individual brakes to keep you going where you want to go rather than where physics would take you.

These systems are already available on some (mostly high end) cars.
  • Options
    hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    The MINI has electronic brake-force distribution, corner braking control and automatic stability control + traction. The feeling of it correcting for fast driving is almost strange, where one would expect some oversteer or even a sliding rear end, it applies additional braking to one wheel and the car tracks the corner perfectly -- it's nice to know it's there but I should really drive a bit slower.

To get my reply back on topic, all this stuff is still worth nada if your tires are poor. The computers are there to help but certainly can't and don't replace low traction rubber.
  • Options
    malachy72malachy72 Member Posts: 325
    that inflation talk about tires is all about air pressure? Tires are one of the best bargains on an auto. In real dollars they must be cheaper than they have ever been. Can anyone say why?
  • Options
    My guess: competition, processing (manufacturing) improvements, increased volume, raw material costs that haven't kept pace with inflation.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    In real dollars they must be cheaper than they have ever been.

I don't think so. If someone has tire prices from, say, 30 years ago, we could do a direct comparison with today's prices. My (vague) recollection is that they were a lot cheaper back then.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Options
    jasdmwjasdmw Member Posts: 118
    I have a 2001 Sienna, had the factory Firestone tires replaced with Aqutreads which wouldn't stay balanced. After 13000 KM, Goodyear bought them back. I replaced them with X-Ones which work very well, up to 120 KM/Hr. Unfortunately, they too exhibit balance vibration above that speed. 2 dealers have tried in vain to remedy the problem (rebalanced 4X). I've had the van checked and nothing in the suspension that the Toyota dealer can see is causing the problem. Anyone else out there experience this? My tire dealer has another Sienna owner exhibiting the same problem. His is a 99 model with higher mileage than I. I've had the x-ones for 6 months/15000 KMs and am not a happy camper. A file is now open with Michelin. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Options
    malachy72malachy72 Member Posts: 325
    I am not proud to admit that I owned a Chevy Vega. I recall putting Michelin 13" radials on it in 1974 and paying $300 for the set. That's may be more than one would pay today in actual dollars w/o adjusting for inflation. (BTW, the tires survived the car by plenty! No surprise there.)
  • Options
    In April, 1972 the CPI was 41.5. In April, 2002 it was 179.8. If tire prices had kept pace with inflation, a $50 tire in 1972 would cost $216 today.

If we assume a 195/75-14 as a typical size and look at a midrange tire today, we're looking at about $58 (General Touring A/S from Discount Tire). If tires had kept pace with overall inflation, that tire would be have $13.25 in 1972. I don't think you could buy a new tire in this size for $13.25 back then.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I stand corrected! Or maybe I was just a lot richer back then so tires seemed cheaper! ;-)

Weren't radials the new thing back then and, therefore, more expensive?

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826

Were your adjustments done on a Hunter 9700 or like machine? I know that for example high performance tire and wheel combos can balance just fine, but when you take them to their intended limits they are out of balance and alignment? Bottom line is that the above mention machine amoung other things checks the static and dynamic balance.
  • Options
    You mentioned that the dealer checked the suspension. Did they check the alignment? If so, was it correct, or was it "within factory specifications?" There is some discussion in the "Inconsiderate Service Departments" topic (I think in Smart Shopper) about dealer vs. independent alignment. At least one poster reported that the only way to get an alignment perfect (not just within factory specs) is to go to an independent shop. FWIW, the independent shop I took my car to is the only one that guaranteed the alignment for a time/mileage period.
  • Options
    Yes, radials were new and more expensive. I don't recall the exact numbers but I'm sure I paid around $30 each for 185/75R-13 Michelins in the early 70s. That was probably $10 more than a bias ply in the same size. After they lasted for 60K miles, I felt I got my money's worth.
  • Options
    jasdmwjasdmw Member Posts: 118
    I agree with Ruking1 regarding equipment and balance. I don't know the apparatus the dealers who balanced the X-Ones had, unfortunately. Both stated that runout was "within spec", but I suspect that is a subjective statement based on visual checking and their experience as Michelin dealers. I do know that the Goodyear dealer had a brand new Hunter balancer and checked the Aquatreads one last time, before they bought them back. Apparenlty they were fine. However, when I asked, the tolerance on runout seemed quite wide, even on the Hunter.

Regarding alignment, my favorite (not the selling) dealer did one several months ago after the second Michelin dealer re-balanced the tires (his first of 3 trys). He had found a loose suspension component, a flaw left by the selling Toyota dealer who had checked the alignment (and of course found no flaw). I saw the report from their system and the line by line comparison with factory specs. To my eye, they were very close. well within the tolerance range.

Unfortunately, I am still looking for direction. My gut (and the opinion of the second Michelin dealer), is that the tires do not suit the application. His suggestion is yet another brand, Bridgestones or at least a Pilot series Michelin. My challenge is to convince Michelin that this is the case. Any help here would be appreciated.
  • Options
    microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    I can remember back in the 70's paying about $30 each for Dunlop or Cooper bias ply tires that were supposed to be their better models. I never got more than about 30K miles from them although they were installed on large station wagons or sedans. It's amazing that today you can buy the same size RADIAL tires that will give better life for only $10-20 more each..
  • Options
    I am considering replacing my 205/75R14 tires with 225/70R14 Dunlop Radial Rover AT tires. The charts on tirerack.com say tell me that the wheel width range for this tire is 6"-7.5". How do I find the width of my existing 14" wheels? The truck has the factory original wheels.

What would a set of 15" steel wheels cost? It seems that there are many more tire choices in 15". I'd not be interested in beauty, just functional wheels.

Advice or opinions are appreciated.
    Tommy
  • Options
    bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    This is probably a question for a Toyota mechanic or someone into their trucks. My guess is that the wheel dimensions are like 14"X5.5J or 5.5" wide. Do you have an owners manual? Isn't there a decal somewhere stating tire pressures that might have this info?

As for aftermarket wheels, there is a massive selection out there. You can get cheapo steel wheels for like $25 each. Look in the classifieds, on e-bay, in junkyards, garage sales, all kinds of places will sell them. Your local tire joints might have OEM take-off's from people with new Toyota trucks. Use a little imagination here.
  • Options
    I doubt if this is the problem (or even if it's true), but I'll throw it out here anyway: I have heard people say that high-speed vibration can be caused if tires are balanced cold. The suggested solution is to drive the car several miles to warm them up before balancing. Any tire gurus care to comment on the validity of this theory?
  • Options
    anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    It might have the wheel size stamped in the metal next to the valve stem or elsewhere on the wheel. Look for 14X(something like 5, 5.5, or 6).

I'd say just stick with the original wheels and upsize the tire if the truck is older than 5 years.
  • Options
    Thought those of you shopping for tires for your truck or SUV would be interested in this:

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/tr/tr50236.htm
  • Options
    Nice link, Bretfraz. Guess a whole lot of people want their tires to "look good."

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    We're not going to get into this lookin' good thing again are we?
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • Options
    I knew it was only a matter of time, hehe! I just started using Eagle One tire dressing and I like it alot! Thanks for the tip Bret! My Armor All days are gone for good. BTW, on the way to work this AM, I saw something I'd never seen before. It was a new Monte Carlo with GY Eagles that had raised *yellow* letters that said something about Nascar. Blech!
  • Options
    Re: Goodyear Fortera HL: The new design was an instant hit, said Cherveny. In the first 24 hours after the tire was rolled out, Goodyear received 10,000 orders from dealers.....Cherveny said the Fortera HL is available in 16 sizes for popular luxury and crossover SUVs. Seven new sizes will be introduced this year, and several vehicle manufacturers are considering Fortera tires for their 2004 models.

From Bridgestone/Firestone: In August, we will be introducing a new light truck luxury tire called the Revo in our Bridgestone line. We're also launching a new maximum traction tire in the Firestone line called the Destination MT.

About BFGoodrich: We just introduced a new 24-inch 305/35ZR24 street performance tire in the BFGoodrich line," said Enterline. "BFGoodrich has been sponsoring a number of off-road events and will introduce a new off-road rock climbing tire next year.
  • Options
    Yeah, but for the serious off roaders, the 15 inch and even 14 inch tires are the way to put the most rubber between your rims and the rocks.
  • Options
    colonelqcolonelq Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 accord v6 coupe and the factory tires it came with were the michelin mx-6 and i did not like thier feel at all the car seemed to be slightly off kilter on fast turns and curves but because of the cost i lived with it. now they have 36000 miles on them and i would love to get suggestion on what is a better choice to replace them with.
    thanks
  • Options
    Never heard of them .... do you mean MXV4plus? That's what Honda was using as oem in '00, at least my Accord SE came with them.
  • Options
    Most every tire mfr will make several tires for your application. So it depends on what kind of performance you want and how much $$ you want to spend. Some ideas:

Yokohama Avid H4 or V4
    Dunlop SP Sport A2
    Bridgestone Turanza LS-H or V
    Toyo Proxes FZ4
    Toyo Proxes TPT
    Michelin XGTH4 or V4
    Pirelli P600SV
  • Options
    bbpalumbobbpalumbo Member Posts: 9
    For my 99 Civic LX, I live in the northeast so I have to deal with rain and snow. Will be carting around my newborn so safety is also paramount. Price point of no more than $100 apiece. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    fxsfxs Member Posts: 50
    If you like to drive around curves fast get the Dunlop Sport A2 for $51 plus shipping from the tirerack.com Otherwise get the Yokohama Avid Touring tire for $41 plus shipping. Forget the rest. Nuff said
  • Options
    I'd get two sets of tires.

Get a good set of summer tires, and a good set of winter tires.

All seasons are just a compromise all of the time.
  • Options
    If the snow stays on the ground days at a time after a storm in your town I would invest in snow tires on steel take-off wheels. Most cities spread salt and plow during the night before the morning's rush hour. If it's a blizzard or heavy accumulation I would stay home because I would worry about someone crashing into me even if I had dedicated snow tires. Anyways you can still afford snow tires and A/S tires for less than $400 for both sets.
  • Options
    I wish I had your kind of job!

Besides, if it were a weekend, I'd be heading for the slopes.

:-)

One time, during a blizzard, it was so much snow, my Civic got "hung up" after a trip to the pharmacy. It was enough momentum to get into the parking lot, but once I got out of the pharmacy, the additional accumulation plus what was packed underneath wouldn't allow me to leave. A fat lot of good snow tires do if they don't touch the ground! I ended up shoveling out under my car with an awful cold, chills, fever, aches, etc. Taller tires would be recommended if you are going with winter tires. For example, on a Civic, they take 185/60R14 or 175/70R13 or 155/80R13. I would go up one in height to like 165/80R13 or 175/75R13 if you can find the room in there.
  • Options
    yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    It depends on what Northeast.

For example, in CT, RI, around NY City or Boston there is no need in winter tires. All-season tires better to be good on snow, though. The tirerack user surveys provide the information.
  • Options
    I meant central Massachusetts.

It might as well be central CT through NY, VT, ME, NH.

There MOST CERTAINLY IS a need for winter tires.
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I'm starting to think about replacing the tires on my '01 RAV4. We get only occasional mild snow.
    I want to keep tire noise to a minimum, and I don't want to spend more than I have to.

The rig came with Bridgestone Duelers, which seem to be wearing okay (now at 25,000 miles, still some life left). Noise is minimal, and grip seems decent.

I'd previously thought about the Michelin LTX, but I think it might be noiser, and the price is high. It may be more tire than I need on a car-based platform.

Do you think the BDs are a decent value, or is there a replacement tire that you think is significantly better?

Thanks.

-ss4
  • Options
    Hi, how are ya?

I agree with your asessment of the BDs. If you are happy with them, I'm happy with them. :-)

Tire Rack did a comparo of the BD H/T 689 and the then-new BD H/L and found the H/L to be as good as the H/T but smoother and quieter to boot. I think your size is 215/70-16 and the H/L's come in that size. H/L's are $88 each at Tire Rack. If you stick with the H/T's they're under $70 each at TR.

I'd recommend the Michelin Cross Terrain but you'd have to bump to a 225/70-16 and, boy, are they expensive! As Livia Soprano used to say, "annhhh, I dunno..."

The Continental Contitrac SUV might be a nice choice for a good all-around tire. $76 at Tire Rack is nice too. I see alot of them here in GA where winter traction is less important than a smooth highway ride.

Only tire Goodyear makes in 215/70-16 is the Wrangler HP but you'll pay well over $100 each for it. It ain't that great.

Anyhoo, that's what I dug up. I hope it helps. Lemme know if there's anything I can do.

- - Bretfraz - -
  • Options
    I'm doing well, thanks for asking.

And thanks very much for the helpful info.
    Yes, you got my standard H/T tire size right, 215/70-16. You're good.

I was thinking the BDs weren't going to last for 25K+ miles, but they are surprising me. And my one slippage "incident" just could have been my own dang fault. So I'll probably go with the same tires again. Which also means this time I'll work my still-new spare into the rotation.

Again, your help is much appreciated.

Regards,
    -ss4
  • Options
    I found the wheel size stamp after I puled off the trim ring, opposite the valve stem. They are 14"x6". I have received different info. from area tire shops whether 22/70R14 tires will work. There is a Dunlop Radial Rover A/T in that size, and in the 205/75R14 that I currently have. I can get about a thumb width's (about 12-14 mm) clearance between the tire and a protruding bolt head when the tires are at full lock, same on both sides.

Going to the 225's would add 10mm... which seems to be cutting things close.

Any opinions here about this?
    Tommy
  • Options
    Do weights go inside, outside or both?

xplorx4 "Nissan Pathfinder" Jun 7, 2002 6:30pm

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    Get the LTX. It transformed my 1999 Tahoe Sport into a SUV that I'm proud to own. The LTX is a 6-ply tire that is stronger than the Cross Terrain and the Goodyear RT/S garbage that came with the truck. Also the LTX handles better in the rain and around corners than the goodyears. We have the Contitracs at my facility on 3 vans and 2 P/U. They are OK for the bucks, about the same performance as the Goodyears for $20 less. If you take your Toyota off road find the extra cash for the LTX.
  • Options
    goofy10goofy10 Member Posts: 17
    Anybody have any suggestions for a '02 Elantra? I'm lookin for all season tires that will go nicely with 16" rims.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback.

I don't expect to do any serious off-roading (only once on fire roads so far), and with the RAV's car platform I am looking to go with a good, quiet on-road tire at a decent price.

Regards,
    -ss4