Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• Options
    oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    Sorry gotta disagree with you on this point: "The factory units are way overpriced and will add little to the resale when you sell. Like all high tech electronics these days, they will probably be obsolete in less than 2 years anyway."

My '99 LS has the hard disk-based Navigation. It is such a cool gadget to have that I cannot imagine it not being worth much in resale (not that I plan to get rid of my LS - far from it !). In fact, I am planning to upgrade my '98 version to the 2003 version, which will increase the POI's to 1 million. I call it "never-lost", for map-challenged person that I am.

As to in-dash Nav being obsolete in 2 years. Maybe. Maybe not. Who can tell if this would not be enhanced so much that it becomes a very common gadget in many new cars. That would helpit grow instead of spelling its demise, IMO. Guess time will tell.
  • Options
    rgh69rgh69 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2001 Sequoia for my wife. I would like to add a NAV system, a couple of headrest screens (with DVD player for the kids), and convert the headlamps to HID's. Can anyone suggest the right system(s) for this vehicle and where in Houston I should get everthing installed. I would also appreciate any links ya'll might have that point to pictures of Sequoias that have these modifications.

Thanks,
    RGH
  • Options
    raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Everyone that has tried to convert the existing headlights to HID on the Sequoia has been dissappointed. There was a group buy on a different website last year where a quality Hi/Lo HID unit was purchased and slipped right in place of the existing halogen. The results were mostly dissappointing to the group with respect to aim. For headrest monitors that require no cutting, there are 7.2" widescreens that mount using the headrest post for around $126 each. Edmunds won't let me post the website here, but you can email me for more details if you wish.
  • Options
    rshershe Member Posts: 236
    Performance products has a DVD setup with headrest screens, premounted in matching headrests for your vehicle. You don't have to cut up your existing headrest. That way since you keep your old headrests intact, you could take the system out easily if you decide to sell the vehicle.
  • Options
    Back to my point.. vs. that laptop NAV.. It probably won't be cheaper when you have to brake hard and the laptop slams against the passenger floorboard. Especially since you were having to look away from the road to look at it.. The factory nav's are positioned so you don't have to take your eyes off of the road and have a safety feature, so someone can't try to input info while the vehicle is moving..The factory NAV's are expensive, but prices have and will continue to come down..But the old saying is, you get what you pay for. Additionally the laptop NAV's are not integrated into the vehicle speed sensor and don't have inertia sensors, so when you get into congested areas with large buildings--you have nothing but a laptop. Just my 2 cents.. In regards to resale the 2001 Land Cruiser for example, has a $2000 higher resale value than the same one without NAV. According to Edmunds..
  • Options
    plamarineplamarine Member Posts: 11
    I traded a 2000 4Runner Limited for A 2003 sr5 Sequoia, and according to NADA the trade in on the 4runner was $22,000. The Sequoia sticker was $39,751. They gave me $21,000 for the 4Runner, and a $5001.00 discount off the invoice. Dealer Cost was $35,484. So if I use the Nada value for the trade ($22,000), I got the Sequoia for $35,751? I also got $1250 rebate, so is this a decent deal off sticker? I also negotiated $300 in accessories (mats, deflectors etc.)
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Just what or which OEM Nav system have you found that can be used/viewed without taking one's eyes from the road?

Granted, there are now a few, integrated into the driver's "center" view. But it still takes a lot more visual consentration to use, view the necessary detail, of a moving map display, than it does for a quick scan of the "vital" dash instruments, speed, RPM, etc.

I still say that a law should be passed making illegal any type of unnecessary animation display within the driver's view.
  • Options
    slackersslackers Member Posts: 77
    Check out www.truckinssuv.com and scroll down to "Brute Force Sequoia". They were certainly impressed with this intake. Any recent installations or information out there ?
  • Options
    Big difference between glancing down at your dash and looking down on your passenger seat.. Try it some time..The Armada, some Infinitys and the XC90 Volvo are mounted high on the dash, not forcing you to look down.
  • Options
    GPS/Nav

My idea of a really good nav system is one you set up, turn the screen off, and then rely on voice prompting ONLY.

If you need to refer to the screen you don't have a very good voice prompting system or you can't follow directions, or you simply got confused.

In the latter case I simply take the easiest/safest route/turn, then pull over and refer to the system for detailed guidance.

RX300 GPS/nav isn't all that reliable IMMHO, but that's the way I use it, SCREEN OFF, and it works.
  • Options
    raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    My idea of a really good NAV is my beautiful wife in the passenger seat reading a map should I need her to. I try to leave my house knowing HOW to get to WHERE I'm going! :^)
  • Options
    In a dense residential area....

Street signs are damn hard to read, when you can find them.

My wife is quite good at cross country, when she doesn't suddenly decide we should visit some ancestrial graveyard 200 miles off course.
  • Options
    ar15ar15 Member Posts: 58
    I'm usually the one who wants to see the sites, while the wife wants to get to our destination.

GPS/Nav is really cool technology. I have a Dell Axim pocket pc, with a gps that I can carry with me everywhere I go. It fits in my pocket. I have a golf program that I can download my favorite courses and it will display where I am on the hole, how far to the pin, and keep score.

As I said earlier, I'm not interested in the installed models because they cost too much and my Dell does a great job for a fraction of the cost. And when I think about it, I rarely need a NAV system when traveling - not enough to justify the cost.
  • Options
    I have a Garmin GPS V and put it on it's mount on the dash, and it works great! Not too intrusive, in my line of sight, and beeps when I need to do something, like turn. Anyone have one? They rock!
  • Options
    Well, I got my new car insurance premium for my new 2003 Sequioa (I had a 2000 4runner). My premium went down $100 a year! I never expected that little surprise!
  • Options
    bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    Very good idea. I wish I had gone that way instead of the roof mounted system I had the dealer install on my Infiniti QX4. I have seen several of these headrest systems and they all look great and you don't have to cut a hole in your headliner. Kids also don't have to turn their heads upward creating a little neck strain. I like the wireless headsets I got though even though I had to remove the microswitch that they came with that was supposed to shut them off when the wearer takes them off. The switch did not make contact well enough on a small (child) head so the sound kept cutting out if it came on at all. Now I just have to make the kids remember to shut them off manually when they take them off.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A major newspaper is looking to interview people who recently bought small cars after previously
    driving larger cars or SUVs, despite whether you traded from big to small or if you still have the larger vehicle. He's especially looking for drivers of the Mini Cooper, Honda Civic, Ford Focus, Dodge Neon, Hyundai Tiburon and Mazda Protege. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Tuesday, October 28, 2003 with your daytime contact info and the type of vehicles you had and have.
    Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    cmp1960cmp1960 Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking at a '04 Silver Metallic Seqouia. When I load up the SR5 with all the options that are standard on the Limited, it appears to be almost $3,000 less (minus a few vanity items). See below, these all come from the website.
    (fyi...the sunroof is NOT standard on the Limited and the tow pacakge is included in Alloy #2 package)

SR5 Base (from Toyota Website) 32,200
    CQ Convenience Package 255
    AG Alloy Wheel Package #2 1,835
    PM Preferred Package 2,515
    KY Keyless Entry 245
    AC Dual Air Conditioning 570
    DR Roof Rack 220
    LF Front Fog & Driving Lamp 110
    DJ JBL 3-In-1 Premium Audio 515
    Auto Dimming Mirror 125
                       -------
        Total 38,590

Limited (Base) 41,474

Ok, the Vanity mirror light, the metal tone interior trim, the auto retract mirrors are all I can think of that seperate SR5 with the above options and the Limited (base). I'm condisering the Silver Metallic, so the two-tone problem is solved.

Understand that the "PM" pacakge might be hard to find......

My real question. What does one get for the extra $2,800+?

Thanks,

CP
  • Options
    minuteman26minuteman26 Member Posts: 70
    The GPS-V is probably the best value out there...it's versatile, battery or cig lighter powered, reasonably low cost and very portable. You can park the truck in one of those huge parking lots in a stadium [or a city], mark the spot with one button push, then stick the GPS in your pocket. That way you can always find your way back. Another advantage is that even with its limited 19mb memory, you can load City Select [Navtech] street level map coverage for areas that Toyota DOES NOT cover with their factory nav. Reason I know this is that my wife's 2003 Avalon's onboard nav is clueless in rural areas, except for the major highways. MAJOR argument against the current Toyota onboard system. Only BMW, that I know of, provides complete Navtech coverage of the US.

Lately, I have gone with the Garmin 2610, IMHO the ultimate automotive nav unit, with touch screen and many other neat features. Still use the GPS-V for various purposes. You can't go wrong with either...
  • Options
    fanman8fanman8 Member Posts: 65
    You don't get much for the premium price. Heated driver & passenger seats, chromed grille, chromed strip body side mouldings, Leather trimmed door panels are about all that was left out of your comarison above. Not sure if the retracting side mirrors are included in the SR5 upgrades. So, your probably better off with the SR5.
  • Options
    robertbickrobertbick Member Posts: 28
    I have an `04 Limited and can't seem to change from Mode 1 of the automatic door locking function. My wife wants all the doors to unlock after driving which would be either mode 3 or mode 4. I have gone thru the steps in the manual and nothing happens. Either I am missing something or it does not work.

Do you need to start the engine or just turn the ignition to the "on" position?

I tried to put it in mode 3 by setting the parking brake, closing the door, turning the ignition to "on", move the tranny to "N" and then holding the elec. door lock button to unlock for over 5 seconds. Nothing happened.

I also tried performing the steps for mode 1 again to cancel that mode and it did not work.

Has anyone done this successfully?
  • Options
    pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    Limited mirrors are heated also.
  • Options
    sequoiasoonsequoiasoon Member Posts: 223
    Had the same problem, No luck on self programming. The Service Manual has better directions sometimes. I was at dealer having a spre key made (and progammed) and they fixed the locks at the same time. Inquire at next Service visit.
  • Options
    aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    The sunroof is in fact, standard for 2004. It was optional for 2003.
  • Options
    haymakerhokiehaymakerhokie Member Posts: 11
    I've posted this on the problems board, but will go ahead and get some feedback from the more popular board.

I have a '03 Ltd, 1200 miles and I've got the issue with the TRAC/VSC/ABS lights staying on. The dealer has replaced a speed sensor, per the code from the computer, but that didn't fix. They then rerouted some wires under the dash, and that lasted a day. Lights are back on. I've heard rumors of steering angle sensors and the dealer is talking about ECU/computer replacement as next steps. Any other thoughts?

Also, in general, I've noticed the lights come on following about 5-10 seconds of computer processing (ticking) which I thought was the self-check. Is this not the normal self check sound for the truck?
  • Options
    During startup it runs the ABS (er...SPS) pumpmotor to build hydraulic pressure in the nitrogen pressurized accumulator system. If there is a leak somehwere the pressure cannot build and the system faults.

Even my 92 LS gives enough detail in the diagnostic codes that the dealer should know what to look for a bit closer that what you describe.
  • Options
    husky92husky92 Member Posts: 56
    You're right. I bought an SR5 as well for the same reason. However, I did have to give up more than just those few items because you won't find an SR5 on a dealer lot that has every option on it (they won't build them for exactly the reason you bring up). I got one with leather and added after market heated seats so I got the key items that I wanted.

You can order an SR5 that has just about everything on it though and I've seen a few people on this board who have done just that, but I don't believe you can get as good a price. I took one off the lot for $500 over invoice (2003). I don't imagine I'd get that deal if I ordered one. If I could, I feel dumb for not doing it. If your negotiating power is shot and you have to pay like $2000 over invoice when you order, you might as well shell out the extra money for the Limited that you can pick up today.

One more key thing, you can't actually get every available option on any single SR5. There is a hard limit. I don't know what it is off hand, and it probably changed for 2004, but you are limited to about 75% of the total available options on an SR5.
  • Options
    7lenny77lenny7 Member Posts: 4
    I had a problem with our VSC light coming on. First they replaced the a brake computer ("Translate Computer" I think is what they said). That didn't fix it, so they replaced the brake booster. That DID fix it.
  • Options
    tnt8tnt8 Member Posts: 7
    You know what they say! A happy man is one who enjoys the scenery on a detour...
    Seriously! What should I expect to pay for 03 (or 04) SR5 leather package, Alloy wheel 1 pkg, sunroof? rock bottom price.
    Thanks
  • Options
    rcamserrotrcamserrot Member Posts: 14
    We bought a 03 SR5 fully loaded, for $37,500. The only thing it does not have is the DVD player. The sticker was $43,200. We bought it in Arlington Texas at Vandergriff Toyota. I am sure a 03 will be a better deal than a 04. I think that alot of the 03's left are the same as the 04's. I did not see any change..
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Let's Make a Deal (Yahoo/Smart Money)

Congrats on the new SR5, Rcamserrot.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    shek3shek3 Member Posts: 72
    I ordered my SR5 last December and paid $900 over cost......I got every major option, leather, DVD player, 17" wheels(15 options total)and waited around 10 weeks.....The only thing I couldnt order was the self levelling suspension....Mike
  • Options
    774774 Member Posts: 101
    I was able to special order my 2001 SR5 Sequoia. I had to shop the dealerships as they would come down only 300 off sticker price on what was in stock.The vehicle was ordered with every option I wanted and the price paid was 2000 under sticker price.The dealer ship still made 2000 over list price.The vehicle was bought when the model first came out so it was difficult to find a dealer who would give a fair price. The above post #7693 demonstrates you can SPECIAL ORDER the vehicle the way you want it for 900 dollars over list which by the way a great price.I must also say the Sequoia is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned.I will never buy another ford or gm product due to my experience with Toyota quality and their commitment to fix and replace any defective parts at no cost to me.
  • Options
    stoneybrokestoneybroke Member Posts: 83
    A dealer is offering to sell me a 2003 limited with sticker of $47493 for $41,130. Is this great, good , bad or indifferent? Thanks, Stoney
  • Options
    coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    There has not been much talk on the upcoming redesign of Sequoia. My gut feel is that Toyota is going to drop the 4.7L V8 and go for a bigger displacement 5.6L plus engine on the LC and Sequoia and keep the 4.7L on the 4-Runner in order to stay in league with Nissan Armada and GM and Ford SUVs. Has anyone else heard anything on this ? It is about time Toyota went with a bigger displacement engine as 4.7L is little underpowered for the size of these SUVs.
  • Options
    yickwoyickwo Member Posts: 54
    Where are you located? As for whether it is a good deal or not, it depends on what part of the country you are in. I am in So.Cal. and just bought a '03 White 4X2 Limited for $9000 off MSRP (plus TTL and $45 doc fee). Many dealers are advertising $9,000 to $10,000 off MSRP on 4X4 Limited here. Not many offering such discount on 4X2 as they are mostly soldout. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    stoneybrokestoneybroke Member Posts: 83
    In reference to my earlier post #7695, I am located in PA. I've been talking to dealers within 100 miles. Maybe, I need to widen my search.
  • Options
    jbanvillejbanville Member Posts: 20
    Coupedncal, I heard that Toyota will phase out the Toy-LC/Lex-LX, and make the Seq. the top end Toy model, with a luxury version made for Lex. These changes would, of course, come when the new re-design is introduced in a year or two. By the way, anyone else here visit tundrasolutions(dot)com? They have an excellent Seq. forum :)
  • Options
    Anyone know of a dealer in Ga. that doesn't haggle when asking to buy a Seq. at invoice?
  • Options
    Non-haggling dealers only exist for those that buy at MSRP or above.

Sorry.

Learn to enjoy the experience, make a few educational trips to Tijuana.
  • Options
    Wwest, it certainly looks like the $9000 to $10000 off MSRP mentioned above, has to be close to invoice (it actually seems like they are selling under invoice). And since they are advertising these prices, it doesn't seem like they would have any room to haggle, yes? Let me put it like this... I KNOW that there are dealers out there that sell at invoice without haggling. My challenge is to find one in GA. :)
  • Options
    coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    I can not imagine Toyota will drop the legendary brand of Land cruiser from their lineup as it has a rich history and diehard following (myself included) all over the world. That would be plain and simple STUPID. If there really is a need to consolidate, then they need to drop the Sequoia name and make the new chassis adaptable for both Sequoia and LC buyers.
    And besides, LC is still sold over the world under various chassis and why would Toyota drop this name from their largest market ?
  • Options
    Seq. and LC are just NAMES. YES, the current LC may have better performance than the 3 year old Sequoia, but the Sequoia will be re-designed in a year or two and will most likely be a MUCH improved vehicle. Is there some reason to think Toyota couldn't design a Seq. that matched the LC's features/performance? Toy. sells MANY more Seq. than LC, in the US at least. LC was around WAY before everybody wanted an SUV, but now Toy. has the Seq., which has proven to be a top SUV seller. Perhaps Toy. wants to trim down its line-up. I suppose Toy may not be too worried about people that would only buy a LC for the nameplate, if a newly re-designed Sequoia offers similar features/performance. I'll try to find the link that initially had the "rumour".
  • Options
    gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    Perhaps the LC is returning to its more "adventurous" roots.
  • Options
    The MSRP on my '03 Limited 4X2 was $42,608. Invoice price according to edmunds is around $37.7ish. I paid $33,608 plus tax, title, license and $45 for documentation. The TMV according to Edmunds is around $38,000. The bottom line is that the deal was about $4,100ish under invoice.
  • Options
    Wow! Great Deal!!!! What dealer was it? Did you have to haggle?
  • Options
    If we are continuing this line of discussion, we should do it in a different topic area, i.e., "price paid and experience". I think this is for general Sequoia discussion. In any event, there was no haggling at all. It was the first time (out of 3 or 4 occasions with Toyota) that I did not have a confrontation with the sales and his manager. The whole experience was very very good. It may even be better than the experiences with my two Mercedes purchases (both were also very good).

In any event, my Sequoia was one of five advertised special with $9,000 off (2 4X2 and 3 4X4 MSRP $46Kish). The other 4X2 was black and was $45Kish. I choose the white one with MSRP of $42.6. They did not push any extra purchases on me. I bought the Toyota platinum extended warranty for 7yrs/100K for $880 (I probably could have gotten a better deal on this if I bargined more). It was in and out... a done deal. The dealership is North County Toyota in Orange County California.
  • Options
    bluestar1bluestar1 Member Posts: 112
    to be true on that deal by yickwo. $4300 UNDER invoice for a popular Toyota truck ? Hmmmmm.... To find an SR5 4x2 to sell for under $34K, has to be lightly loaded. Having a Limited at that price is just plain unbelievable. Sorry. What's in it for the dealer to make such a bad deal ? Not like no one wants these trucks ? Especially one of the more popular trims - 4x2. Very popular here in So Cal. So why was it that heavily discounted ???
  • Options
    I know it may sound too good to be true; I cannot believe I got such a good deal either!! But that's the deal I got. This is how I figured: Toyota was having a $1,500 rebate on the limited along with 3% dealer holdback and financing reserve (= about $1,260). That brings the total incentive to about $2,760. There could also be some unpublished dealer incentives that we don't know about to help to clear out the 2003's. So the dealer may lose some money, but it is certainly not losing $4,000 on the deal. I was ready to buy a loaded 4X4 with $9,500 off MSRP. When I saw this deal, I just cannot pass it up. The right color without the extras that I don't need and you cannot go wrong with $33.6K for a 4X2 limited.

For your information, as of last weekend, North Hollywood Toyota has a black 4X4 $47Kish with $10K off. Thousand Oaks Toyota has a similar black 4X4 with $10K off. Power Toyota in Buena Park has a silver 4X4 for $9,500 off. Hollywood Toyota has a green 4X2 for $9,000 off. Family Toyota in Orange County has a silver 4X4 for $9,000 off. There are a few other dealers with ads of $7,000 to $8,000 off (I think) which I did not bother to check. I've done my home work and got lucky. Good luck!!
  • Options
    bluestar1bluestar1 Member Posts: 112
    Good for you. Yours must be the deal of the year, if not of the century ! Would have guessed it was a bait-and-switch thingy to get you in with a 9K off discount. But you did it and got a GREAT deal !!!

Congratulations, and enjoy your new truck. Any plans to mod this truck or add some *features* to it ?