Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• Options
    yickwoyickwo Member Posts: 54
    Thanks. We are really enjoying the Sequoia. I am planning to add the form fit deflector on the hood. I cannot decide whether to spend the money to put a nice dvd system in or simply buy a cheap portable player. I am leaning towards the portable one. Also, I may get the StreetPilot 2610 for navigation and may order real wood trim from exotic wood dash. Gold trim also would look nice on a white Sequoia.
  • Options
    plamarineplamarine Member Posts: 11
    I debated this for a while, and decided to go portable. I bought the Mito Corp "Suspension Theater" for $70 which lets you mount the player between the 2 front seats, and a Panasonic portable for $400 off Ebay (you could get a cheaper player for about $200, but I like Panasonic). I now can take the little thing in any car, and better yet, on a plane for my 1 year old to keep her calm on long flights. Try that with an in car system! I have the GPS V and love it, wish I had the 2610. I also bought the Toyota hood deflector, and love it. I installed it myself in 15 minutes.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    If Toyota drops the LC then the LX470 must also go. Does this mean a Sequoia version of the LX470?

That would be great news - if it is not just a simple rebadge. I was shopping for a new SUV - disappointed with what Lexus has to offer. IMO the Sequoia is a better all around SUV unless you need the extra off road capabilities.

If you pay a $15-20K premium you should at least get a bigger/more powerful V8. I still wonder how Toyota gets by with using the same engine in the 4-Runner, Tundra, Sequoia, LC and LX470. No matter how good the engine is - you would think the LX470 buyer would expect 100 more HP than the guy with a base V8 Tundra? I also wonder why the LC and LX470 require premium gas. Is that seen as an advantage / status symbol? It sure does not do much to increase performance.
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    add the gx470 to the list that use the same engine.
  • Options
    aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    I'm sure Toyota/Lexus will follow the lead of Nissan/Infiniti with the Armada/Infiniti QX56. These trunks have over 300hp. I'm sure Toyota will not wait too long to get in that ball park with the new Sequoia.
  • Options
    bluestar1bluestar1 Member Posts: 112
    Those ugly ducklings is what aggiedog is recommending Toyota/lexus to follow ? Not going to happen. Have you physically seen the QX56 ? U-G-L-Y is the only word for it.

Oh, I know you are refering to the hp. Sorry once again. Toyota won't join the hp race, rather a tweak, maybe a hybrid V8 powerplant in their f/s trucks and SUV's, starting from the Lexus family and trickling downwards to the Toyotas. BTW, Toyota is doing a total redesign of the Seq in 2005 as an MY 2006 release, so may be time for a 300+hp V8 hybrid engine, standard on the Lexus version of the Sequoia, and optional on the Seq. Just a guess.

But please no Armada or QX. Those trucks are duds and are not going to make too much dent in the market. Ford and Chevy rules, not Toyota or Nissan.
  • Options
    oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    zzzzzzz
    zzzzzzzzzz
    zzzzzzzzzzzz

Hello ????

Anyone home ????

zzzzzzzz
    zzzzzzzzzzz
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    ronstoyronstoy Member Posts: 55
    Just wondering if anyone out there knew when the Sequioa was getting an "update" and maybe what changes are in store--bigger engine, more towing power?
  • Options
    Redesign scheduled for MY 2006 (fall of 2005). Maybe cliffy can *speculate* on what changes are in store in the redesign.
  • Options
    curious54curious54 Member Posts: 47
    at how many miles does that seq. need a tune up...and same for the fan belt? and has any one done it themselves
  • Options
    Haven't done one yet for our '01 SR5 with only 46K miles. I will expect a tune-up at about 60K miles or later. Not many Seq owners with 60K miles, I suppose.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Aren't a requirement now-a-days.

"Tune-up" goes back, mostly, to the days of mechanical ignition points.

These days other than factory specified oil and filter changes the earliest "tune-up" items would be the timing belt and spark plugs, both typically at about 100K miles.

The on-board diagnostics will warn you of any other "tune-up" "matters".
  • Options
    robertbickrobertbick Member Posts: 28
    Has anyone replaced their serpentine belt yet? On my old GMC Jimmy it was very easy to do.
  • Options
    jocigarjocigar Member Posts: 26
    help me decide on the better value; should I get a new 04 sequoia ($41k) or go for a used 00 land crusier for ($30k) with 50k miles.

I currently own a 91 crusier that has been trouble free for 150k miles.
  • Options
    coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    If you have had good experience with Land Cruisers in the past, then buying the LC would be the way to go. The Sequoia is a different beast and suited more for onroad driving whereas LC is more versatile and has a character of its own. I am sure you can pick up a 99 or later model for well under 30K .. perhaps as low as 24-25K.
  • Options
    pglagspglags Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have an recommendations for an '02 Limited 4WD? Getting ready to replace my stock Dunlops before the winter in the Mid-Atlantic. Looking for nice, smooth highway tires. Have been told Michelin LTX XC or Cross Terrain SUV's are the premium best, any suggestions?
  • Options
    gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    The brand new one!
  • Options
    jay238jay238 Member Posts: 13
    Anyone have any high-miles Sequoias out there? How does the reliability of this vehicle fair compared to other Toyotas (like Camrys or the reliable T100)
  • Options
    quesera1quesera1 Member Posts: 18
    We got our 2001 in August and are approaching 55,000 miles. So far, so good. Only problems were the AC nightmare, brake TSB (which actually wasn't a problem), and the kid in the truck who turned in front of us a year and a half ago. I hope she stays reliable, we'd like to drive it until automotive technology is too advancesd to ignore
  • Options
    petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    I'll add my .02 on ownership. My problems have been far and few between. Actually there have been no problems. I have 58,000 and had the brake TSB done. I got 20,000 miles on the front brakes and had to replace them just recently. Well the price of the new pads for the front are $117.00 from Toyota and according to my repair shop there are no after market pads yet for the TSB repaired Sequoia front end. Pretty expensive brakes!! I also had a self inflicted problem with the emergency brake pads. If you leave the emergency brake on and they gouge out the rims it spells trouble. Right now I have no emergency brakes as I am saving for new back rotors.
  • Options
    bhana1bhana1 Member Posts: 12
    Toyota Landcruiser did not offer a stability control untill probably 2001. I would check on that before deciding between the two.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I just bought new tires for a Tahoe. It came stock with 265 70 16's - I went with 275 70 16's Michelin LTX M/S. They were used by Toyota as one of the stock tires for the LC.

I did a fair amount of research - the Michelin Cross Terrain is - IMO - over priced and over rated.

You can read reviews on most tires over at WWW.tirerack.com.
  • Options
    seqladyseqlady Member Posts: 59
    We just got the Michelin X-Terrains about 6 weeks ago for our 2001 Sequoia...LOVE EM!! They're quiet, smooth and wonderful in wet conditions. Haven't had a chance to see how they work in snow yet, but I'm sure they'll be great. We had the Bridgestone OEM's and they were really awful - glad to see them go! Didn't realize what a difference tires can make until these new ones went on.
  • Options
    petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    I agree with seqlady, the cross terrains are a good addition. Are they expensive, yes, but based on the improvement in handling over the Bridgestone OEM, it is worth it. I have 20K miles on them now and I see no noticable wear. The cost will be paid back in longevity. They also are slightly less noisy that OEM. I will see how they handle this winter in the rains here in Sacramento. Safety comes first.
  • Options
    arubarepublicarubarepublic Member Posts: 2
    I've strictly done all of my negotiations over the phone with the internet department of Expressway Toyota in Miami, FL. I've purchased a 2004 Limited 2WD with the following options:

Phantom Gray Pearl/Oak Leather
    Toyo Guard Protection Group (XY70)
    Sunroof Wind Deflector (CF10)
    Color-Keyed Grille W/stnls Steel Insert (CG90)
    Rear Spoiler (CX90)
    DVD System (ED20)
    JBL/6 CD Changer (EJAT)
    Driver & Side airbags (GYAT)
    Factory wheel locks (LK10)
    Cargo Net (PC50)
    Carpet Mats/Trunk Mat (PV50)
    Daytime Running Lights (RLAT)

The MSRP on the vehicle is $45,832 I was able to get them down to $42,566 (including a B.S. Dealer Preparation Fee which they stated was $569). My sales person initially tried to tack on the Dealer Prep Fee to the $42,566 price but her boss agreed to include the Dealer Prep Fee in the $42,566 price (They probably just waived the B.S. fee). Now I really only wanted to pay no more than 91% of the MSRP (I got that from Kiplinger's Annual Car Buyer's Guide - Decemebr 2003). But I ended up paying 91.7% of the Dealer Prep Fee plus the MSRP. I feel I paid about $800 to $900 more than I should have but including the Dealer Prep Fee maybe it’s more like $300 to $400.

Do most of you agree with my assessment or did I actually get a good deal?

An additional factor is that I'll be exporting this vehicle to the US Virgin Islands where the MSRP on the same vehicle would be at least $10,000 more.

I'm also intrigued by the fact that everyone seems to be trying to get they're vehicles for about $500 over invoice. Is this the proper buying perspective or is a percentage of the MSRP O.K.?

P.S. I don't mind brutal honesty. I’m really looking for honest and direct insight from as many people as possible.
  • Options
    Sounds like you enjoy the "art of the deal" a bit more than you might ever the car itself.

I'd consider it a damn good deal but I'd never have beaten them up quite so thoroughly, close, but not quite.
  • Options
    At the release of the Sequoia in Oct 2000, like any new entry, sales were hot and dealers were selling at MSRP or higher. I bought mine in Dec 2000 at $500 off MSRP. For that time, it was a pretty good deal. These days, people are getting an '03 or '04 at close to invoice or a little more. Well, that's life. You win some, you lose some. I love the truck and after 46K miles, have had no major complaints (brake problem solved with TSB, and that was it). Enjoy your new car while you have it.
  • Options
    gedmundscgedmundsc Member Posts: 29
    Gas Gauge - I previously posted this msg about the gas gauge. I recently ran into a gentleman w/same 01 SR5, he said he just had his gas gauge sensor replaced by the dealer. Same problem, periodically shows empty even though tank is not empty, eventually clears itself. Does anyone know of any recalls or TSB on this issue.

Tires - I purchased Toyo M410's at 40K miles, I have 10K on them now and they are working fine.

Rim Pitting - I cleaned the rims w/Eagle and also with the Prestone product, it took away the black pitting and then I put a coat of wax on them. I have had no more pitting issues with the rims. Some one wrote an article on the whole process of pitting (acid action) and stated keeping a coat of wax on them will prevent it. So far so good.

Happy motoring w/your Sequioa.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Sorry if I missed anything. It isn't easy to get back into the Edmunds routine after some time off.
  • Options
    curious54curious54 Member Posts: 47
    I live in Southern California and am planning to go on a trip (round trip approx. 4000 miles) and so just wanted to know when should be the best time to rest my car from driving? (Have a 2003 LC) (ex. should i rest my car after 4 hours of nonstop drving or ?)
  • Options
    Why not rest your car when your body feels like a rest ? Would think that the body is more important to rest than the car. No ?
  • Options
    raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Welcome back! What are you doing these days? Finance?
  • Options
    slcamtslcamt Member Posts: 37
    After spending $65,000 I wouldn't guess the car would ever need to REST! How did you ever come up with that kind of money anyway? Inheritants? Lawsuit award? Sorry I didn't mean to blow up!
  • Options
    slcamt... easyy now !!!
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Yup... finance. I still try to keep up with the product, but am not as active as I once was.
  • Options
    stevek80stevek80 Member Posts: 64
    A little long but please advise. I offered to buy the wife a new vehicle. She said she likes her '92 Explorer but the other day her alternator went and she almost got stuck road side. While in for repair we looked at new Fords.. then Chevy's and then Toyota's. We both like the Toyota over Chevy and Ford. I've been back and test drove the Sequoia and 4Runner and I like the Sequoia. I'm thinking about buying it for her for Xmas but she hasn't drove it. The 4Runner is comp in size to the Explorer but I like the Sequoia for more space. I told her we're just looking in case her truck up and dies..we'll be ready. She's seen the colors and we're getting the Limitted with all the options except DVD. I even found a dealer..number 2.. who said he would do $500 over invoice.. Not the same place I did my test drive but that's another story.. She was supose to drive it this weekend but the snow stopped us. We made up an invoice together and sent it to dealer number 2 for firmer pricing yesterday. Should I order it or wait till she test drives it..which might not happen in time for xmas. I'd like to surprise her if possible and I can't believe she's not going to love it.. BUT.. that a big $45K surprise if she doesn't.. What would you do?
  • Options
    rcamserrotrcamserrot Member Posts: 14
    Speaking from a women point of view.. Let her go and pick it out herself!!! That is more of a gift than a surprise!! I picked out my Sequoia and it is perfect to my liking. It has everything I wanted and more.. Let her go pick it out herself. As far as the price.. $500 over invoice????????? Hate to tell you that we payed $5,000 UNDER invoice.. That was here in Texas and we bought a 03 in September...I gather you are from the east coast and yes, prices are higher up there.. But shop online and tell your dealer that you found one in another state for a much cheaper price.. He will work with you..Go to www.vandergrifftoyota.com They are in Arlington Texas.. They are a huge dealership and will beat all prices.
  • Options
    vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    "Hate to tell you that we "payed" (paid?) $5,000 UNDER invoice.. "

If true, that would be great deal, but I think it is more likely $5000 under MSRP, which is still a good deal, but not under invoice.
  • Options
    Very thin ice be there....

Buy her a $1000 Diamond for under the tree, let her pick the $35k gift.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. She IS picking out the truck. We're actually doing it together online. She just doesn't know I'm ready to buy it for her. She thinks we're just looking to be ready incase her truck dies.. I was thinking the fun would last longer if we did this together with her knowing but reality says I'm going to do all the dealing, paper work, financials anyway. Maybe I'll wrap up a set of keys and we can go down and order it right after xmas day.. That would work too..
    As far as $5,000 under invoice or MSRP.. If it's MSRP then with our MSRP at $46,060 - $5000 = $41,060.. $40,734 our invoice + 500 = $41,234. Close but you still got a good deal. I only have one dealership (so far) willing to do the $500 over invoice. I only asked one dealership. Dealer 1 wanted $4k over and then said he'd split it. He's in for a surprise.. Once I have dealer 2 willing to work with me I'll see if I can do better with other dealers.. 8-)
  • Options
    Not a bad idea at all ! Wish someone would give me such a surprise, ANYDAY ! Who wouldn't take it ? Especially at the *giving* time of year - Xmas ? Speaking from a man POV, I would go ahead and do it anyways. What's the worst that could happen ? She'll turn it down. That cannot be the worst thing in the world, is it ?

BUT, stevek80, it appears to me that the choice of the Sequoia is more like yours than hers. Now, whatever the *surprise* is, you'd better make sure it's what she wants and not what YOU want imposed on her :)
  • Options
    Just bought a '03 Limited 4X2 a month ago for over $4,000 under invoice (not "MSRP") on the left coast.
  • Options
    Thanks bluestar1.. I know what you mean.. I've test drove the Chevy's and Fords and Toyota's and I'm choosing the Toyota. She hasn't driven the other trucks so she doesn't know how good the Toyota is in comparison.. but she asked me my thoughts so I've told her. I want her to test drive the 4Runner and Sequoia but I really don't like the Chevy and Ford so I'm going to stear her away from them.. cause if I don't speak up now, I'll get more greaf if I let her buy one of them and then she's doesn't like it afterwards..

Yicko - how many miles on your 2003? I've seen 2003's for sale with 18K to 23K miles. That seems like nothing for these trucks but would explain the price drop..
  • Options
    I just read in the Sequoia vs Expedition section where someone wrote the following..

"If you go with the Sequoia, you may also want to wait. I have heard that it will receive a moderate freshening outside and a substantial re-do on the inside. "

Is this true? Does anyone know what's changed with the '04.. if anything?

Also, I'm new here.. Why would a topic be "read only" like the Sequoia vs Expedition.. Thanks!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard!

Why would a topic be "read only" like the Sequoia vs Expedition.. Thanks!

If a topic remains idle for a given time it automatically becomes "archived" and read only. Apparently, there wasn't enough interest in the comparison.

tidester, host
  • Options
    kw6kw6 Member Posts: 26
    Only that some items that were previously options are now included, and the Limited comes with a sunroof as standard equip. I had planned to order an '04, but my previous car needed major brake work in May, so I took advantage of the $2K cash back at that time. Got mostly what I wanted and I JUST LOVE THE SEQUOIA!!
  • Options
    Steve - MY '03 4X2 limited was brand new with 15 miles when I bought it.
  • Options
    $2K Cash Back?? Is there a better time of the year to buy? Like May over January?
  • Options
    jm459387jm459387 Member Posts: 3
    Hello all,

1st post here...

I have an '04 SR5 on order which I'm eagerly awaiting. Can anyone tell me if the dealer can add the steering wheel audio controls, and if so how much $? It's without the Preferred Package.

Thanks!

John
  • Options
    jm459387jm459387 Member Posts: 3
    There are some inconsistencies on Toyota's website and brochure about the standard climate control. "Dual zone front and rear defroster-linked... climate control" is listed both as standard on the SR5 and as an available option. Which is it?

My understanding is the SR5 has front and rear as standard and the Limited has dual front (ea. front passenger) plus rear. Am I correct? Is there an option for dual front on the SR5. TIA, John