Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• tfishtfish Posts: 2
    I've been driving the seq. now for a few weeks. I bought the sr5 with leather, sunroof, etc. i might have looked at the limited, but that goofy looking rear air dam above the window was a deal breaker. i bargained the dealer all the way down to MSRP. I have generally been very happy with it but have noticed some problems. there seem to be many experts on line here. i have some questions.

Negative Comments:
    1. turning radius could be better.
    2. it is tall, and i have to turn off my radio coming into the parking garage or else my antenna bangs up against the ceiling.
    3. My model is pretty stripped down. not much accessories, which is a good thing in a way. but they forgot little things, like no warning chime if you turn off your ignition and the lights are still on, and i wish the steering wheel extended out.
    4. they could have made the gas tank 4-5 gallons bigger. The range for me is only about 350 miles without getting the gas warning light.

Positive Comments:
    1. its got the sexiest lines of any suv on the road.
    2. i like the suspension better than the new suburbans, which is also very nice.
    3. big windows, big sunroof
    4. quiet ride.

Questions: could some nice person respond to these:
    1. I have noticed the booming base problem - or in my case, a treble that doesn't stack up to the base. anything i can do short of replacing the entire system (and neutering the base)?
    2. has anyone else noticed that right when you put into drive and pull away there are two clicking sounds. what is that?
    3. i only have 1500 miles, but my highway mileage that i have calculated is only about 14.5 mpg. averaging speeds of 75mph. isn't this a little low, or am i going too fast? should the mileage improve as the car breaks in?
    4. are there any other raging idiots out there who paid msrp for a vehicle for the first time in their life?
  • joelisjoelis Posts: 315
    At least they are not Firestones!

Too bad they don't have a 17" wheel though. I like the 17" option on the Expedition.

Yoss - careful what you post - "but the Tahoes
    and Suburbans have the best resale value of
    anything GM sells."

I believe there is a sports car that GM sells that holds its value better than any other domestic vehicle.

It also has the 2nd best residual (as of last year) of any production vehicle made (Porsche is 1st).
  • tfishtfish Posts: 2
    I've been driving the seq. now for a few weeks. I bought the sr5 with leather, sunroof, etc. i might have looked at the limited, but that goofy looking rear air dam above the window was a deal breaker. i bargained the dealer all the way down to MSRP. I have generally been very happy with it but have noticed some problems. there seem to be many experts on line here. i have some questions.

Negative Comments:
    1. turning radius could be better.
    2. it is tall, and i have to turn off my radio coming into the parking garage or else my antenna bangs up against the ceiling.
    3. My model is pretty stripped down. not much accessories, which is a good thing in a way. but they forgot little things, like no warning chime if you turn off your ignition and the lights are still on, and i wish the steering wheel extended out.
    4. they could have made the gas tank 4-5 gallons bigger. The range for me is only about 350 miles without getting the gas warning light.

Positive Comments:
    1. its got the sexiest lines of any suv on the road.
    2. i like the suspension better than the new suburbans, which is also very nice.
    3. big windows, big sunroof
    4. quiet ride.

Questions: could some nice person respond to these:
    1. I have noticed the booming base problem - or in my case, a treble that doesn't stack up to the base. anything i can do short of replacing the entire system (and neutering the base)?
    2. has anyone else noticed that right when you put into drive and pull away there are two clicking sounds. what is that?
    3. i only have 1500 miles, but my highway mileage that i have calculated is only about 14.5 mpg. averaging speeds of 75mph. isn't this a little low, or am i going too fast? should the mileage improve as the car breaks in?
    4. are there any other raging idiots out there who paid msrp for a vehicle for the first time in their life?
  • You might try putting on "LT" rated tires instead of the "P" rated tires. They are much stronger in construction and also resist punctures better. They usually have stronger sidewalls as well.

-hope this helps.
  • I recently put BFG all terrain KO's on my Truck and they are beast. Absolute beast!

Passager rated tires should not be on trucks! the side walls are way to thin.

Also, With toys I have found that you can NEVER go wrong with Micheline M/S. Look at most of your LC's they are running Michelines (sp?).

lastly, this guy talking about his seq not having a chime when the lights are left on and no gass light is kidding RIGHT!

I can not imagine that toy went that dang cheap with their seq.

I have to admit I had to laugh when I read his post. If this is true than shame on you toyota.

Truck
  • hookeyhookey Posts: 54
    Yoss- I once again agree with you (shocker, huh?) that first year of production vehicles often have more problems than subsequent model years. We’ll have to wait and see how this affects the 2001 Seq.

CCT1 - Don't get your cable hooked up yet. I'm confidant Yoss will return to form soon and the arguments will commence.

Truck - The truck definitely has a gaslight that goes on when the tank is about 1/8 full. It also has a computer that tells you how many miles you have left before the tank is empty. I'm not sure about whether there is a chime if you turn the truck off and take the keys out without turning the lights off. I don't think I've done that yet. I'll have to check.

Tfish - 1. My antenna hits the ceiling of my parking garage as well. Tall truck/short garage. Not much you can do.

2. I agree with you that a gas tank that was 5 gallons bigger would be great. I'd like a range in excess of 400 miles.

3. I haven't noticed a bass problem with my stereo so I can't help you here. I have the standard stereo that comes with the SR5. Do you as well?

4. I have not noticed the two clicks when putting the truck into drive. I'll pay more attention to see if I hear it.

5. My mileage is around 16/17 MPG. I was told that during the break-in period (the first 1,000) you are not supposed to exceed 55mph. I generally drive around 75 on the highway. I believe the MPG generally improves some as a vehicle is broken in.

6. I could be classified as a raging idiot myself. I got the dealer to drop the price only $600 below MSRP. This is the first time in my life that I ever approached MSRP and that was very difficult for me. I was seriously considering waiting 6 to 9 moths to see if the prices would decline further, but I really needed a new vehicle going into this winter as my former vehicle was 11 years old and needed a ton of work.
  • fj100fj100 Posts: 97
    BF Goodrich AT KO's. ARe they loud and what size did you get? I have a '99 LC and can not stand the wimpy no traction LTX MS's that came on it and want to replace them with a AT tire. I am interested in the AT KO's in the size 285/75 R 16.

Thansk for the insight.
  • hey i appreciate your help. and i'll even apologize to you for any inference since i haven't run afoul of your opinion, seems kinda unfair.

as far as resale goes, i am an inexperienced car buyer, and never bought a new, have leased though. which would be more important, the % of value held (which i believe toyota will kill Chev on anyway) or the $ difference.

i am buying, and will only keep probably 2 years. i would think the $ difference would thus be more important, as it indicates depreciation you "paid" for.

now, what about the color?
  • I have the same two clicking sounds you mentioned. I asked the question in the last forum and I believe was told it was the VSC doing a self test. I'm still checking into it myself b/c although I believe it is a normal sound it probably is something else doing it though.

Jack
  • Mileage should improve after you run up 1000 miles or so.
    Bromhal: when you talk leases, much of the same applies. MSRP is factored into the lease formula. So is the actual, negotiated selling price. And so is residual value. The residual, I believe, between the Sub and Sequ are pretty similar. You also pay sales tax on every lease payment.
    Assuming everything else is equal (residual, money factor), since MSRP and actual selling price are less for the Sub than the Sequ, you should end up with signficantly lower monthly payments (at least $100/month lower I'd guess).
    As a leasor, why are you so concerned with resale values?
  • I'll take those wimpy no traction LTX's off your hands.
    The stiffer the side wall, the worse the ride. A definite tradeoff.
  • Like most of you, have been waiting on Sequoia for a long time. Have been watching this forum for news. Saw the back and forth between Dianne, Cliffy, Yossarin etc. Based on prices she published in the lanCruiser forum, I emailed Dianne an offer of 2% over invoice, and asked for her response.

Her rude response makes it clear that she is one of the 90% of car salespeople who propogate the perception of car sales being a sleazy business.

Rather than a no thank you, her attitude was what I have typically experienced on the lot. If you think her helpfulness is anything more than a pitch, I think you will be disappointed, as I am.

At least I didn't have to go out in the cold and walk the lot to get the treatment.
  • If you live in Chicago area, check on the www.carmax.com. They have 2 SR5s and 1 LTD all listed at $1900 under MSRP.
  • sorry about any confusion, I won't be leasing. only new car i had previously obtained was a lease, not a purchase. will be purchasing.

so, for anyone w/opinion on difference in price, is Seq. worth $10-12K more as a "city boy" SUV?
  • fj100fj100 Posts: 97
    Come get them. I am located in Raleigh, NC and the tires have 19,000 miles on them. I will let them go fo $50 each. Let me know.
  • joelisjoelis Posts: 315
    Its very difficult to find a good salesperson. When you do, they are usually too good hearted and end up either getting fired for not making enough money for the dealership, or they just get too stressed out by all the political BS they have to deal with from their management.

I've seen both happen with good salesperson friends of mine. Its a tough business to work in.

By the way, the good hearted ones don't have time to play on the internet because they are the ones with all the real customers making their deliveries, helping with their past sales customers etc. at the dealership.

I bet if you walked in to the dealership 1 month after you bought a vehicle from any sales people who sleaze on this site, they wouldn't even remember who you are.

That's pretty bad Dianne. I thought you might have been one of the good ones. I guess not.
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Posts: 543
    "sexiest lines"....some might argue that point

Driving this vehicle at 75mph on a regular basis...you bet you are going to get gas milage that stinks. This is a big, heavy vehicle with a large frontal area. Hey, where can you drive like this legally anyway? Even MT had to slow things down.
    Thanks for the illustration on the "benefits" (or lack thereof) of resale value. I still cant understand why someone would BUY an SUV looking at resale value as an important feature. LEASE if you plan to turn SUV's over quickly. Either way autos are a loss but less so if you buy and hold......gee where have we heard this recently or has anyone else been watching this tragic market.....I AM NOT BETTER OFF TODAY thankyou BILL.
    Oh and to be fair.....Gore just keep your hands off my SVU thankyou
  • You offer TWO percent over cost for the hottest piece of merchandise on Toyota lots.

I rest my case. I have plenty of very happy, very gracious customers to stack against your opinion of me. My opinion of you is probably laughable. ANyone who emails me offering what you did should have been ignored, but instead, I was honest and said I wasn't interested in your offer. You now sound like my 4 year old when she doesn't get her way.

Whatever.

-Dianne
  • I currently have an SR5 on order,loaded with leather etc. I couldn't find a dealer locally who would come off msrp a decent amount.We have never paid msrp for a vehicle and didn't want to start now. The dealers are making over $5ooo on each truck plus dealer holdback. Crazy! We went out of our region and found a dealer who came off 2000 from msrp. In defense of Dianne I also e-mailed her and she promptly let me know that she would also come down around 2000, but I lived so far away it didn't make sense.If you can't find a dealer near you, go out of state if you have to. For a few thousand dollars I'll travel 3 hours.
  • kreykrey Posts: 41
    With all due respect, you're free to sell your vehicles for whatever the market will bear. That's cool, and the way it ought to be. If you can get more money from someone off the street, more power to you. Simply leave it at that.

But, please, do NOT insult everyone here by trying to tell us that invoice equals cost. An offer of 2% over invoice is NOT an offer of 2% over your cost. You know it, we know it, and even Edmunds points it out. This is EXACTLY the type of BS that gives car salespeople a bad reputation.

Now, having said that, the two posters who took issue with your response should grow up. You're perfectly within your right to turn their offer down, and that does not make you a "bad" salesperson as they imply. You're just another business person who wants to do deals, but not to the point of being stupid. The bottom line is it IS a hot item, and people WILL pay a premium for it until the market says, "Enough." It's a simple matter of supply and demand...Econ 101 material.
  • Imagine those dealers, how dare they! trying to sell a vehicle for sticker price, and making $5000 profit on a $40,000+ vehicle! What the heck would a dealer do with that much profit anyway? Heck, he would just probably blow it on new equipment to service your suv or give the technician who repairs it a raise! He might even have to spend some to fix that perfect vehicle that you traded in, so maybe he can sell it for kelly price, if he doesnt get accused of ripping the customer off of course! Because we all know you expect to get full retail for your trade in, but you would never pay retail for a car at a dealer!
  • oh please, give us all a break. You need to make a profit and are entitled to it, but don't come off saying that a $5000+ profit on 1 truck goes right back to helping out your customers. Whoever is on this site knows what goes on. Read the Edmunds undercover carsalesman article, very interesting.
  • does anyone think a SEQUOIA VISION would be in the future of this SUV?....Dianne?.....Cliffy?
  • Who hasn't read that article, like most salespeople on here say, that dealership is not a good example of the way most of our employers operate. New car sales are basically a joke anymore, I'D rather sell used any day. What salesmaen wants to spend hours and many times DAYS working with a customer on a 40,000 vehicle they insist on buying at cost, to make $100 or $200 bucks. I'LL sell the 92 cavalier on the back lot and make a hell of a lot more than that. I feel sorry for these saleman that sell only new, that is a tough way to go.
  • I've had BFG All Terrains on my Xtra Cab. They were great. Quite a smooth tire and not noisy. They handle very well on and off-road. I pulled out about 65,000 miles from them. Not bad. BFG now has some sort of weird pricing system for the KO's. I think they have gone up in price, but not sure.

-good luck
  • Does this mean that the demand for the Seq is not as great as with the expo or tahoe or is it that the price makes it more exclusive like the LC?

The MDX topic is redilculous and it was out earlier.

Truck
  • cct1cct1 Posts: 221
    What exactly happend w/r to rlwdotcom? I personally don't think its out of this world to offer 2% over invoice--it is a low at this point in time, and Dianne certainly is well within bounds to reject it--politely. As a dealer, I think it would make more sense to explain why you think 2% is too low, rather than to belittle someone, which is a pressure sales tactic. Dianne may have politely refused it, in which cause rlw would be overreacting...So what exactly happend guys??? Its bothersome to me though that Dianne states she should have ignored the offer--why not come back with a more reasonable offer???

Are we gonna have to put rlwdotcom and Dianne in time out??? WIth Dianne putting everyone else in time out, who is gonna be in charge if she is in timeout?

Seriously though, I hope we can get an answer to this, because there is a credibility issue at stake...
  • I hate to beat a dead horse, but I'd like to set the record straight.
    I took a look at a 2001 Suburban Owner's Manual and this is what it states:
    If you have the optional trailer hitch, your vehicle is already equipped for heavy trailering. See the chart for weight limits.
    Then it appears to talk about towing from the rear bumper, but the manual could be clearer in this regard. It states to never tow more than what is printed on the step of the bumper. It then states to "Consider using a sway bar."
    I believe that this refers to towing with the bumper, not the hitch.
    In any case, I have never "considered" a sway bar, nor has any of my dealers ever suggested one.