Options

Hyundai Genesis Sedan 2009+

Comments

• Options
    acelinkacelink Member Posts: 106
  • Options
    bfriendedbfriended Member Posts: 14
    I disagree about this car needing to keep the Genesis brand name.

While I would like to see a luxury division come out of Hyundai, I do not feel that buyers will be put off if the car has the Hyundai badge on it. The Veracruz I think proves that people will spend $30k on a Hyundai if it is priced lower than something comparable to it. And the company is slowly shaking off the image that has been associated with it since they started selling cars in the US.

So I am anticipating this car and would love to see my friends faces when I pull up in one and tell them it is a Hyundai...
  • Options
    thk1214thk1214 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    RE:1038
    How can you determine from the video that the Genesis came out better than the Audi in the crash test?
  • Options
    gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    Because it's a Genesis ad and not an Audi ad?... :shades:
  • Options
    thk1214thk1214 Member Posts: 2
    good point and since it's a car to car crash test, the one that crumbles like the Audi in the ad is the loser
  • Options
    fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Thanks for posting the link to the Genesis vs Audi crash video. I sure hope that they run that as a commercial in the USA, but agree it need to mroe clearly show both cars after the wreck to make it clearer that the Genesis did better.
  • Options
    keitha3keitha3 Member Posts: 124
    Maybe it's symbolic. Genesis not intimidated and willing to take the competition head on...aggressively.
  • Options
    ricwhitericwhite Member Posts: 292
    Yes, certainly the "crash" test is symbolic of Hyundai not afraid to take on the larger auto manufacturers head-on. It's not meant to be a safety advertisement. Maybe this commercial shouldn't be run in the U.S. since so many people apparently misconstrue the meaning. :surprise:
  • Options
    rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    It's for the KDM market only. I'm sure the US commercials will be very different.
  • Options
    rviradiarviradia Member Posts: 44
    I respectfully disagree with your disagreement :-)

I think the Hyundai brand, while much better then the days of the 'excel', still has an economy image, and people don't realize they are now on par with Toyota and Honda, this is why people pay more for Toyota & Honda. I think by simply branding the car "Genesis", I think it will intrigue people to learn that Hyundai made this masterpiece and increase Hyundai's brand value, kind of a weird reverse way on how they introduced the Lexus LS400, nowhere could you find the word LS400 on the car, or better yet how the NSX elevated Acura.

Americans will pay more for a brand, that's why Lexus, Acura and Infiniti only existed only in the US until recently. I remember reading something when the saturn sky was about to be released, they showed some panels the sky without any badges and it rated high, then they put a saturn badge on it and the ratings actually dropped.

Your statement says it all, why not pull up in a "Genesis" with the 'bentley-like badge" then tell them it's a Hyundai, they won't believe you and create more buzz on the car, if they see the economy-looking H on the grill some people might even tell you you wasted your money (not me :-)
    >So I am anticipating this car and would love to see my friends faces when I pull up in one and tell them it is a Hyundai...
  • Options
    dean3927dean3927 Member Posts: 80
    If anyone's interested, here's the official Genesis info site, complete with commercial footage, catalog shots and driving/interview videos:
    http://www.the-genesis.co.kr/
  • Options
    msazzyindcmsazzyindc Member Posts: 118

Now this is sessi! (sexy for those of you that can't enunciate) :P
  • Options
    You guys are making me want to sell my new car next year :confuse: (by showing me all these nice photos). It will boil down to the key touches of luxury and the ride to finally sell me. Plus depreciation *sighs*
  • Options
    dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    Re 1051: You guys are making me want to sell my new car next year

Which is exactly what Hyundai wants you (us) Azera owners to do. We are the immediate gene pool for a successful US Genesis launch. I expect all of us will soon be bombarded with assorted incentives to step out / step up without taking a complete bath.
  • Options
    Sadly thats not the genesis we're getting here in the states. The KDM version has the concept like wheels on the BH380 model. It looks nice with them.
  • Options
    stushstush Member Posts: 62
    As much as I'm looking forward to the Genesis. I was wondering what kind of traction a rear wheel drive vehicle with traction and stability control gets in wintry conditions? It can't be as good as front wheel drive. Or will the Genesis have the all-wheel drive option? Excuse the dumb question, I don't have time to go back and read all the posts.
  • Options
    chilliwackchilliwack Member Posts: 189
    ya, we will get the scaled/duh-mbed down version with the Circle H everywhere you look (pls..no offense to those fans of the circle H). HELLO!!! Give us the Korean version please!!
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I believe it will get VDC which I have on my Armada, and Subaru uses on their cars. It's a good system for RWD/AWD cars and is non-intrusive but still keeps you in control.

As for AWD, it's not offered on the LS460, BMW 7 series either.

-mike
  • Options
    What would be nice is what my truck had (previous to the azera) is smart track which had all wheel drive, but only kiceed in when needed.
  • Options
    If that is the case, many will be back to the aftermarket suppliers to make the car more like the Asian market version.
  • Options
    Re 1058: the aftermarket suppliers to make the car more like the Asian market version.

I bet they have already made a knockoff the the Korean/China market Genesis-Bentley badges.
  • Options
    Does anyone know the actual size comparison between the Azera and Genesis? Is it like E-Class vs. S-Class or 5 series vs. 7 series?

I read somewhere that Genesis was priced as a 3-Series, performance of a 5-Series, and space of a 7-Series.

Thanks.
  • Options
    No AWD option. There will be stability and skid control. I'm sure it will be better with snow or all season tires. Not going to be as good but better than the older ones.
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    If I recall correctly, the Azera is longer than both the E-Class and 5er in overall length but not in regards of wheelbase. The Genesis should be in line with the same comparo RE: S-Class & 7er SWB versions on the exterior. Note the spec for Genesis is based on the concept version (although the production should not vary much).

Interior-wise and usable space (passenger vol + trunk vol) is concerned, this is where Hyundai shines:

the Azera is well ahead of both the E-Class and 5er. Should be the same case when the NA spec for the Genesis is released (i.e. well ahead of 7er & S-Class).
  • Options
    dean3927dean3927 Member Posts: 80
    "The Genesis is similar in size to a Chrysler 300, which would be one of its main competitors."

quoted from http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Hyundai-Genesis-V8.html
  • Options
    http://www.bobaedream.co.kr/board/data/data_view.php?code=national&No=89900

Just 2 days until launch in Korea. US launch will be at the detroit show. Shows the BT integration which is nice. Maybe not all the bluetooth pics but nice. Going to have an 8" VGA LCD screen for navigation, bt, radio and more. Rear seat DVD is probably not going to be in the US version. Maybe not the DVD changer. Would like to see the cluster ionizer. Enjoy!
  • Options
    http://kindbany.com/bbs/zboard.php?id=photo_album&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&s- - s=on&sc=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=65
    http://www.bobaedream.co.kr/board/data/data_view.php?code=national&No=89921
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rich_hobo94/sets/72157603657820339/

Wow even more shots. Again some of the pics have that mountain of fake wood. The leather dash one looks great. Even shows some non navigation models. Expect a decontented version of that navigation system to reach the US shores. Hope they keep the nice graphics and voice recognition. Navigation is this Telematics system that has live DMB TV, Navigation, Bluetooth, Voice Recognition, Telematics ala Onstar but better, 8.0" VGA screen, Rear Seat DVD, Control knob and more. Enjoy!

PS: The one with the funky grille is the BH330 model which has the 3.3L engine. The 380 has the formal grille with the big V in it. Just to clarify that.

props to bobaedream, opplock aka richhobo94, and Kindbany.
  • Options
    RE: 1064
    Why, if this is the Korean verion are all of the button markings printed in English?
  • Options
    Acronyms. It's probably easier to mark stuff in english than to put them in korean. Plus Hangul uses less characters. Thats probably why.
  • Options
    All 3 engines. Lots of nice KDM features. No Mozen telematics. Can this be moved into the Genesis forum since it's now official. Has the KDM 3.3L grille. I know the Genesis emblems are going to be popular. All the nice toys.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2009-hyundai-genesis-sedan/
    http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/08/detroit-08-preview-2009-hyundai-genesis-shake- s-things-up/

Could post the press release but hey it would take a lot of space. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Re. 1068: Thanks, rv65 for posting the attachments. I read the entire press release and find it very informative.

Oddly, HP has been reduced in the V8 from 380 to 368. The photos show another grill version, and the flying H only seems to appear on the trunk and wheel center caps. Is this really the US version?

If so, that badge on this car is the kiss of death.

Memo to Korea: Give us what we want. Slap on the Genesis badge.
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Could post the press release but hey it would take a lot of space. Enjoy!

How about we go to the horse's mouth for that...

http://www.hyundainews.com
    or
    http://hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2009_Models/Genesis/Press_Release.asp

and for some good pics...

http://hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2009_Models/Genesis/Photo_Gallery.asp

Enjoy! ;)
  • Options
    It is the US version. Personally I like it more than the S. Korean version.

As for the hp, it was never "reduced" to 368hp, the whole 380 was speculation from "us" in the first place :)
  • Options
    re 1071: As for the hp, it was never "reduced" to 368hp, the whole 380 was speculation from "us" in the first place

So you say, but the 380hp was published countless times by automotive sources other than "us".
  • Options
    HMA never confirmed 380hp for the US market, that's all it counts.

It's 368hp on regular; 375hp on premium.
  • Options
    louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    The only sub-$30k model will be the 3.3? Any chance that the 3.8 will come in below $30k as well? If not then Hyundai definitely threw a curve ball at us.
  • Options
    I don't understand how Hyundai threw us a curve ball here? It's not like the 3.3L isn't ready to compete.

base 3.3 - 264hp (regular fuel) ???hp (premium)
    mid-level 3.8 - 290hp (regular) ???hp (premium)
    range-topper 4.6 - 368hp (regular) 375hp (premium)
  • Options
    Nobody said that the 3.3L is inferior, however does anyone of us expected to see the 3.3 as a base model? I believe MOST of us expect the base model to be the 3.8 at around 300HP. No?

Did Hyundai mention anywhere in the last year that the US Genesis is going to get the 3.3? I believe most of the advertisement was on the 3.8 and 4.6 Tau V8. No Hyundai did NOT lie about the Genesis will start at below $30k, it's just not with the engine that we expected to see.
  • Options
    1073: HMA has so many balls in the air it's increasingly difficult for them to confirm anything.

Now we have hp ratings based on grade of fuel? Korean Kurve Ball.
  • Options
    re 1076 Did Hyundai mention anywhere in the last year that the US Genesis is going to get the 3.3?

Not that i read. The speculation or publicity reported elsewhere than on these Forums always alluded to the 3.8 (Azera tweaked) and 4.6. Offering the 3.3 as the base in Azera makes more sense than in this "new" platform.

One of their Fountain Valley suits stated that Hyundai used "the engineering benchmarks of E-Class, Infinity M and Lexus GS".

More double-speak.
  • Options
    Did Hyundai mention anywhere in the last year that the US Genesis is going to get the 3.3? I believe most of the advertisement was on the 3.8 and 4.6 Tau V8. No Hyundai did NOT lie about the Genesis will start at below $30k, it's just not with the engine that we expected to see.

HMA never gave us much the details about the V6 powerplant of the Genesis sedan. Keep in mind the concept debuted with the Tau V8 (http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/Concept_Cars/GENESIS/Press_Release.asp). The 3.8 V6 was associated with the Genesis coupe concept, which will produce over 300hp.

As said, I applaud Hyundai for making three different engines available. It is fantastic the 3.3 pumps out 264hp, without the need of premium fuel or direct injection; ditto on the 3.8 (290hp on regular).
  • Options
    Which part didn't you understand - 368hp on regular; 375 on premium (stated clearly in the press release).

Just like the Toyota 3.5: 268hp on regular; 272hp on premium

The V6 powerplants should get a bump as well (like the V8) with premium grade.
  • Options
    The 3.8 V6 was associated with the Genesis coupe concept, which will produce over 300hp.

Oh, give me a break. You are acting like nobody was talking about the 3.8 V6 before Hyundai debut the Genesis coupe in the LA Auto show.

Do a search in this forum or google to see if the 3.3 was ever mentioned anywhere over the last year after the Detroit Auto Show. Hyundai didn't lie, they somehow did manage to get the Genesis below $30k but it is indeed a curve ball since ALMOST NOBODY was expecting the 3.3 to be the base engine.

No one is arguing with you that Genesis isn't a great accomplishment for Hyundai but the latest spin show you are putting on here doesn't do your credibility much well.
  • Options
    re. 1079: As said, I applaud Hyundai for making three different engines available

Since you excel (pardon the pun) in splitting hairs, actually there are four, if you include the sub 3.3 in the Korean home market.
  • Options
    What's the fourth one? I am not aware of such thing as a "sub 3.3" for the S. Korean market. There are only two, BH330 & BH380, and then the V8 for other markets.
  • Options
    Your emphasis has continued to be on the price issue, and that was your surprise to see the 3.3L.

I see nothing wrong with the 3.3L, on the other hand. At every engine level, this should be an fine automobile, and IMO worth every penny if the early reviews are anything to go by. There aren't many products out there that delivery so much for so little.
  • Options
    I see nothing wrong with the 3.3L

Did anyone say there's something wrong with the 3.3? :confuse:

What I was trying to say is that many people expected to see the 3.8 as the base engine since the 3.3 was never mentioned during any of the discussions over the last year. We all know that the KDM is getting the 3.3 and 3.8 but I would bet my car key that not many people saw the 3.3 to be the base engine here over the states.

I maintain that Hyundai did throw a curve ball but I am glad to see that they kept the sub-$30k promise. Good for them.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I am actually glad to see the 3.3L available as the base eingine on the Genesis sedan. It will keep the starting price down but offer plenty of power for those of us who don't need more power, but might like the styling and luxury touches of the car.
  • Options
    colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Price pressure from the extremely weak USD is enormous. It's a wonder we don't see significant price increases from a number of manufacturers due to the weak dollar. It's certainly a credit to Hyundai that they could keep the Genesis under $30K given the status of our currency which is becoming a joke on the international currency markets and exchanges.