Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Hyundai Genesis Sedan 2009+

Comments

• sinosuresinosure Posts: 3
    Your ever so right on your comments. I have an Accord, 98' & I've had one previous, so I know what you mean. But, I feel even though T/H/N make very reliable cars, a warranty of that nature wouldn't hurt as I know you can get 300k miles easily from them. Its just peace of mind. But nevertheless, this thing is going to be something to watch & see! :)
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    MB and BMW are still the cars driven by the elite, and as such even Lexus is looked down in the ritzy hoods. Will the Genesis be a cool car? yup! Will it sell to the middle class and upper middle class who only could dream of a MB 5 series? Yup!

-mike
  • sinosuresinosure Posts: 3
    I totally agree! And what makes it so bad is that BMW & MB have had more car problems than Lexus. But the Genesis will have its turn! :)
  • nthenthe Posts: 414
    "I didn't know the Azera, is going to get the Sonata's 3.3L V6 ? When is that going to happen ?

Rocky "

it has already happened. we have one sitting out on our lot right now. it stickers for a little less than 25K.
  • nthenthe Posts: 414
    " My only question is will the Hyundai dealers be prepared to sell such a car and how will they handle a car that is in an upper price range, at least for them? The dealerships have to be upgraded, in my opinion"

from what i've been told, many older hyundai dealerships were just made from existing buildings. the dealership i work for is one of hyundai's premier buildings cause it was built for hyundai (and by hyundai). we opened in dec 05, and hyundai is pushing new dealers to build new if they want a franchise. so hyundai already "appears" to be upgrading their facilities.
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    As Hyundai, slowly (?), but surely, moves its line up-market, perceptions will change, just as they did with Honda, Nissan, and Toyota before it. After all, Hyundai is Asian too, albeit not Japanese, but with the similar basic strategy, and work ethic. Hyundai's planned entrance into F1 racing won't hurt either - this may come to pass in either 2008 or 2009.

As for the flagship Hyundai, it will be a Hyundai - not a rebadged Toyota (Lexus), Honda (Acura), or Nissan (Infiniti). Give Hyundai credit, at least they feel their product is worth it without having to launch a new division to justify and differentiate the flagship model. Of course, new divisions are only needed here in the USA (read into that what you will!).
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Posts: 1,190
    Is that dealership King Hyundai?
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Posts: 1,190
    Has anyone from Hyundai actually stated if and when this car will go into production.
    The people at my local dealership claim that a pickup will be offered first.
  • ricwhitericwhite Posts: 292
    My Azera comes off lease in March, 2008. Will the Genesis be offered by then?
  • chiefloadchiefload Posts: 31
    Sorry for coming to the party a bit late, just found this thread/forum..

One of the problems that Hyundai has and potentially will continue to have is the pronunciation of their name. Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Nissan, Volvo, Saab, even Ford, Dodge, Cadillac sound very similar in a multitude of (western) languages. I speak English, French, German, some Italian. Having a heck of a time with 'Hyundai' in a conversation in the non-English languages. That might be a hindrance in today's global economy. And the company logo of the italicized H is, well, it is close to the H for Honda.

If they want to go the luxury brand route, Genesis might be a pretty good name for it.... In just about any language (and it does give me some great musical flashbacks to my younger days...)

Mark
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 15,331
    If they want to go the luxury brand route, Genesis might be a pretty good name for it.

yep then they could name their models:

Exodus

Leviticus

Numbers

and

Deuteronomy

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    Obligatory bad comment/joke...

Everytime I see the name Genesis mentioned I have a strong urge to yell

KHAAAANNNNNNN!!!! ;)

(Sorry, too much Star Trek in my youth)
    Speaking of the global economy and the world getting smaller: Here's something that just became effective (in the works for about a year but now apparently 'final'):

04/02/2007

WASHINGTON DC – The United States and the Republic of Korea yesterday, April 1, successfully concluded a free trade agreement that will create economic opportunities for their people and enhance their economic and strategic partnership.

“This is a historic moment for our two countries. The United States-Korea Free Trade Agreement (KORUS FTA) will provide U.S. farmers, ranchers, manufacturers, and service providers exciting new market opportunities in a growing, dynamic country. It will contribute to Korea’s successful transformation to a 21st century economic power," said U.S. Trade Representative Susan C. Schwab.

(for the 'average Joe', you got to sell it first as a good thing for the US)....

Historically, Korea has been one of the most protected agricultural markets in the world. The KORUS FTA will create highly valuable new export opportunities for American farmers and ranchers by eliminating and phasing out tariffs and quotas on a broad range of products. Under the agreement, over $1 billion worth of U.S. farm exports to Korea will become duty-free immediately. Most remaining tariffs and quotas will be phased out over the first ten years the agreement is in force.

(note the phase-out of MOST over the first ten years)

The KORUS FTA will eliminate discrimination in engine displacement-based taxes, long a significant impediment to market access in Korea. The agreement contains strong commitments to addresses the specific standards-related concerns raised by U.S. auto manufacturers ....

(good for the US car manufacturers)

Industrial Goods and Consumer Products

Nearly 95% of bilateral trade in consumer and industrial products becomes duty-free within three years of entry into force of the Agreement, with most remaining tariffs eliminated within 10 years

(I think there is a 2.5 percent duty on Korean cars being imported into the US, so that should go away... Coincidentally there is a 40 percent duty on US beef going into Korea. Now THAT will help the beef exporters..)
    Rats, why didn't I think of that?

I'm thinking more along the line of:

Trespas

Foxtrot

Duke

Abacab

or

The Collins

The Gabriel

The Hackett
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,077
    Amen. If "Firth of Fifth" and doesn't come to mind, there's something wrong with ya :) Peter Gabriel, reveal the trick of the tale.

chiefload, you may well be my new favorite member.
    (with apologies to those who are fans of equivalently brilliant bands & humor mongers)

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

Yeah, but if it is hard to pronounce Hyundai in some languages, just imagine what Firth Of Fifth would do....

(by the way: one of my favorite 70's memories is crossing the Firth Of Forth in Scotland by train, listening deliberately to Genesis' Firth Of Fifth... at the ripe old age of 16.... Oh those were the days...)
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    As we stand now, it will be available in home market first half of 08, second half of 08 for the US market.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    A pickup is still rumored and ways off. The BH/Genesis will arrive first - 100% positive.

No dates for production released yet but the timeline (from the above post) will give us an approx. time period. This car is production ready and coming next year.
  • nycdc911nycdc911 Posts: 27
    How about renaming the entire Hyundai brand "Genesis"? The Genesis Sonata and Genesis Azera could be differentiated from the "luxury" branch of the Genesis brand by giving simple letter names like Genesis M luxury sedan to the proposed Hyundai Genesis.

Maybe there should be a Genesis luxury brand, and Kia could become the name for both the Hyundai and Kia brands and all their cars. Would that work, I don't know much about the cheap cars both brands make. I'm guessing not, since Kia probably makes similar cars to Hyundai just slightly cheaper.

In addition to midsize M, Genesis luxury cars could include S small sedan to compete primarily with the great new G35 (Genesis/Hyundai and everyone else needs to look at the new G35 dashboard center console to learn about ergonomics and elegant design), L large sedan competing with S550/LS600hL/760iL, G coupe, C convertible competing with C70/335Ci, X for a more lux version of veracruz crossover SUV competing with RX350/MDX/SRX, and possibly R very small IS/A4 type sedan, F small coupe, B roadster competing with Z4/CLK, V or Y for offroading SUV or Portico minivan/SUV, etc.

Anything short of creating a separate luxury brand probably wouldn't work, luxury buyers have an ego, all over the world, they demand a pure luxury brand. That's partly why Acura with their cheap front wheel drive cars doesn't do so well in sales or with auto reviewers or with brand prestige, and the RL bombed. Genesis luxury cars should stay away from FWD like the widely hated ES350 and TL or RSX, and concentrate on RWD and I would suggest AWD available across the entire line like Audi (or Infiniti?) to distinguish themselves as the Asian Audi only with better quality like the Korean Lexus and unbeatable value.

The best thing would be to create a separate luxury Genesis brand, it worked for Toyota/Lexus, and Hyundai is trying to copy and beat Toyota/Lexus in everything it does. There's a huge difference between Lexus dealerships which supposedly pamper and have the best customer service in the industry and Toyota dealerships which just try to sell high volume and can be pushy.

Hyundai is the furthest thing on earth from a luxury brand and Hyundai luxury cars will never be accepted or sell, isn't that obvious? I'm frankly stunned that Hyundai is considering let alone planning on selling such a world class luxury car to compete with Lexus' top of the line LS460 as a Hyundai. That would be a disaster talked about in business schools for decades. Are they crazy, do they know nothing about luxury customers?

Genesis/Hyundai/Kia should be like Lexus/Toyota/Scion or Lincoln/Mercury/Ford. Except maybe change the Hyundai name to something completely original and cool sounding, any ideas?
  • diemusikdiemusik Posts: 12
    I follow this thread daily, checking for new posts many times a day. It's much pleasure to read your great posts and see how enthusiastic all of you are about the car. I live in Korea right now but have spent some time in the States mainly in Boston area and great old state of NC, Winston-Salem and Charlotte. I'm very excited about the Genesis too. In Korea, the car's usually referred to as the new Dynasty, which is a step down from the flagship car Equss. I drive Santa Fe (2004, diesel VGT model, 2.0).

If Hyundai follows snakeweasel's idea to name their luxury division Genesis, not only they can use each book of the Bibiel, but they could also use people's name too! Like Delilah for instance! Absalom, Nebuchadnezzar, and so on. The possibilities are endless!!! :P :P :P
    Hyundai has been following the Toyota/Lexus playbook during its rise in quality and respect, why stop now? The biggest success Toyota had was when they created a brand new Lexus brand with the V8 LS400 in 89, which cost $35,000 or about $15-20,000 less than the competition. The Genesis M starting a new luxury division would be the same thing and it would work for Hyundai just like it worked for Toyota/Lexus. With RWD and AWD, Hyundai is aiming to top BMW's 5 series in handling and refinement so auto journalists should love it like they loved the LS400, maybe even more. A Genesis brand would revolutionize the auto industry like Lexus did, and could eventually rise to the top, at least among Asian luxury brands.

If they still decide to call this a Hyundai Genesis, where do they go from there with a future luxury division? With a 4.6L V8 and 197 inches long, it's the exact length and engine size as new Lexus flagship LS460, supposedly interior room will be even bigger. LS460 has 380 hp and costs $60,000+. So would Hyundai's first luxury division car have a 400-500 hp engine and cost $50,000? That should be the top of the line Genesis luxury line model fighting the 7 series, S class, and LS L. Some people say Hyundai should test the waters with a Hyundai Veracruz and Genesis then come out with a luxury division with the second generation of those models. But why would luxury buyers who already turn their noses up at Hyundai or even Acura want to buy a rebadged second generation Hyundai? I don't think Hyundai can start a luxury brand with a car that's worse than a top of the line Hyundai, wouldn't make sense. And this car is so good the only way to top it is with a car too expensive for their target market to buy.

I'm planning on buying a loaded 08 Infiniti G35x in about a year for MSRP $41,000 negotiated to $38,000. If Hyundai decides to start a luxury brand I'd consider a loaded AWD V8 Genesis M sedan just for the value and to be one of the first to get in on the brand even though I don't need a car that big. However there's no way I'm moving from my old Lexus ES300 to a Hyundai Genesis no matter how good it is or what kind of bang for the buck it has. Shallow? Maybe, but that's just the way luxury car buyers are, even at the entry level. Do you think even one BMW 3 series buyer would consider any Hyundai? Hyundai is no Infiniti let alone BMW or Lexus, and it never will be and shouldn't try to be. They'll sell less than half as many cars if they call this a Hyundai instead of starting a Genesis luxury brand.
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Agree that Hyundai should create a luxury brand. As matter of fact I think the production Genesis should debut with the announcement of the luxury brand. The name Genesis for the brand sounds a little bit cheesy but it's better than nothing.

To start a new luxury brand Hyundai needs 2 more models to go along with the Genesis, which can be easily accomplished by Hyundai today. Here's the initial lineup I have in mind for it:

Entry level sedan: RWD, V6, around 280HP, about the size of a 3-series, sharing platform with Genesis. Starting MSRP: $25K
    Mid size sedan: The Genesis. Starting MSRP: $34K
    Mid size SUV: Take Veracruz out of Hyundai, load it up and plug it in here. Starting MSRP: $30K

As one can see, 2 of the 3 models are already in place and the only work to be done here is to design the sheetmetal, interior and modify Genesis' platform for its baby brother.

Genesis luxury cars should stay away from FWD like the widely hated ES350 and TL or RSX,

Agree that the Hyundai luxury division should be all RWD but neither the ES350 and TL are "widely hated" like you stated. As matter of fact, both of them are the best sellers for Lexus and Acura.

Asian Audi

I think Acura is trying to become the Asian Audi by implementing SH-AWD to all models in its lineup.
    Wouldn't Hyundai need to decide soon about starting a luxury brand since they'd need to build or convert new dealerships, hire and train staff, etc., before the launch of the Genesis in late 2008? The Genesis luxury brand could start with just 2 cars, that's how Acura (Legend sedan and Integra coupe), Lexus (LS400 and ES250 which was a rebadged Camry), and Infiniti (Q45 and a shortlived coupe) started. Especially if those 2 cars are as diverse as a Genesis M luxury sedan with either 3.8 or 4.6 liter engine, plus a rebadged and upgraded Veracruz SUV with real wood, navigation system, hard drive, etc. Think about it, nobody was going to buy both the LS400 and ES250 sedans back in 89, but people might actually go in and buy both the Genesis M sedan and X SUV within a short period of time. Both the rebadged Genesis and Veracruz could be ready for the planned launch in the last half of 2008.

I didn't mean the ES350, TL, and RSX don't sell, but auto journalists hate FWD and a lot of luxury purists think they cheapen the brand as a fancy Camry or Accord. RWD cars with AWD options on every car should satisfy everyone, and get the positive reviews that would be critical for the success of the new Genesis luxury brand.
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,994
    Some think Hyundai, couldn't emerge into a major player in the luxury field. I still see Kia, becoming a Toyota, like brand but with kia prices and Hyundai, becoming a Lexus like brand with well Hyundai, like prices. I think it's a waste of money to spend the extra money for a emblem when I'd rather have the better product for less. Hyundai, will find lots of buyers for it's cars as I still think their is huge market for people looking for a Lexus, but can't afford or don't want to spend there hard earned cash just to have a emblem. Hyundai, IMHO could be the biggest automobile company in the world by 2025, if not a lot sooner IF they can maintain this trend. ;)

Rocky
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I agree with you Rocky, they have a great base and are really starting to heat things up. I could see Hyundai->Lexus and Kia->Toyota easily.

-mike
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,994
    Thanks.....I do think they will not get greedy like Toylexus and "value" will always be a signature of Hykia, especially since removed the 2.5% tariff from them. ;)

Rocky
  • dborthdborth Posts: 474
    RE 114: I think pontifications should be limited to one paragraph.
    I agree with what you say here. Hyundai has built a name of providing a lot for much less. Many people will be looking at the Genesis simply because of that.

You are right. You likely will NOT be able to bring many present BMW, MB, Lexus owners to take a Hyundai, regardless of whether it comes with the Hyundai badge or a Hyundai-assocaited badge, as their next luxury car.

But... you have a big group out there that is now and in the future upgrading from middle of the road type cars to entry level luxury to eventually full luxury vehicles. Some of them will got for the old brands, some undoubtedly will (with Hyundai having a good track record) be 'sensible' and go with what they consider to be best bang for the buck.

I'm due to replace my current car with another set of wheels. I'm looking at the Azera and various other mid-size cars, just below 30,000. I could see myself though driving the present car another year, just to wait for the Genesis. That would then be MY entry into the luxury class.... And I don't think I would be the only one who sees himself entering the luxury class via a Hyundai/whatever badge.

There is some question in my mind why I would shell out 10 - 15,000 extra for the 'brand'... No doubt that Lexus and Infinity produces extraordinary cars with very good reliability. But is it worth to me personally to spend that extra money...