Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• Another neighbor brought home a Fusion. Black with tan cloth interior, 17" rims, Michelins instead of the barely-a brand Nexens on mine). This one had knobs and no MFT, and I was really impressed with the materials. I asked my neighbor if it was a 1.6T, and he said yes, but I got the feeling he didn't know.

He said it was $24k with taxes and tags.

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited May 2014

cski,

Answer this question for me you live in VA.

If i buy a new vehicle in VA today and move 2 weeks later to another state.

Is the property tax paid on the new vehicle in Va prorated or do you pay the whole fee upfront one time??

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• I have never moved to another state in 2 weeks. I will check out the Dept of Taxation. You will pay the full sales tax of course.

edited May 2014

Sorry i worded that wrong. I meant to say VA residents not me. who buy a new vehicle then move 2 weeks later to another state . Are they subject to pay the full property tax rate on that car or is it prorated. I was reading one of the state laws that was talking about prorating the tax rate on the new car purchase if you move out of state..

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2014

@brian125 said:
    Sorry i worded that wrong. I meant to say VA residents not me. who buy a new vehicle then move 2 weeks later to another state . Are they subject to pay the full property tax rate on that car or is it prorated. I was reading one of the state laws that was talking about prorating the tax rate on the new car purchase if you move out of state..

It's prorated for sure, but here's the thing. I would be careful to have your ducks in a row. If you try to move 2 weeks later to another state to avoid paying much higher sales tax in the other state, then both states frown upon that. Like if you bought a car here, paid sales tax, then moved to West Virginia in less than 30 days, you will then pay full sales tax in West VA too. Fun huh?

To just directly answer your question, you don't pay property tax up front here. You get billed in the fall and have to pay it or your tags will not be renewed. Years back we had to have a new sticker every year next to the inspection sticker, and the taxes were not subsidized, so my car would have been $800 the first year. Everyone hated it, so it was repealed and is now half that.

cski,

Thanks for the info.. I actually pulled up some more of Va state laws on this matter..I'm trying to help a young lady who lives in Va. and has bought a new car yesterday but is moving to florida in a couple of weeks.

edited May 2014

Wow. Brutal drive in to the city this morning. It was raining so hard that there were impromptu rivers crossing not only secondary roads in low spots, but even across 395 and the beltway. In the mixing bowl under the tangled web of overpasses there were waterfalls pouring down directly on cars in the middle of 395. I am amazed that there were no accidents along my route. There was one spot where it was well over a foot deep across the main 4 lane road leading to the beltway (RT644). The Scibaru FR-S rear-drive little sports car made it across, so I said a quick prayer and plowed through behind it like everyone else.

I was again very pleased with the traction I had with my Bridgestone Turanza Serenity-Plus tires. Not once did I hydroplane. I felt the water resistance, but never did I feel it was out of contact with the road. So glad I bought them. Here is a review: http://tires.about.com/od/Tire_Reviews/fr/Review-Bridgestone-Turanza-Serenity-Plus.htm

edited May 2014

The only bad thing I read on the Serenity plus tire was reviews claiming gas mileage dropped with these tires other than that they get really nice reviews.. I used to buy the older Bridgestone Turanza's for my Infinity i30t. Tread life and noise was bad on the older tire. The older model Turanza was a ok tire.

• Ever since my 2003 Mazda Protégé' hydroplaned and bounced off several walls on I-95, I get real particular on tires that have excellent wet traction, and are available for reasonable prices. The Turanza fit the bill. I have not noticed any difference in F/E from old Nexens to the Turanaza's.

edited May 2014

Looks like Gm is in trouble again..

With the Goverments clean up of Gm's balance sheets with our money I think its time to pull the curtain on this company if they fall again. I like how Gm never said a word about the latest recall problems which Gm new for a couple of years now.

The latest recalls:

• 2,440,591 cars for a tail-lamp malfunction that also can disable the cruise control, traction control, electronic-stability control and panic-braking assist features. Another 194,314 are in Canada, and 68,819 were exported. Affected models are the 2004-2012 Chevrolet Malibu, 2004-2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, 2005-2010 Pontiac G6 and 2007-2010 Saturn Aura.

It's also brought a shake-up in the ranks, with two top engineers leaving the company, two more suspended with pay and Boyer being appointed to oversee safety.

GM shares fell 89 cents, or 2.5 percent, to $34.00

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062

Worse that that - now there is a GM powerpoint from 2008 that forbids the use of derogatory terms in reports. That includes words like "bad", "defect", "safety", etc. That's not a good sign and helps explain why problems may have been ignored.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    edited May 2014

I can't see how you can see those recalls as a bad thing. The company is doing the right thing. Every manufacturer has design/quality/safety skeletons in their closet. GM just opend the door on theirs. Now we wait for Toyota, Hyundai, Ford and others to do the same.

Powerpoints from 2008 are really not very relevant to the GM of today, are they?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited May 2014

As reported these last round of recalls GM quietly told dealerships about the problems years ago. Toyota has been plagued the last few years with recall problems.

I find it quiet embarrassing that America the leaders in innovation and Tech cant make a better product than what these U.S. Car companies have been trotting out there all these years. GM / Chrysler. I think in the last 5 years there is improvement from GM and somewhat Chrysler.

I like what Gm has done with the Malibu and the Impala. The Cruze seems like a alternative to the Sentra, Corrolla or Civic.

This is just the beginning, as the electronics in cars today are extraordinarily complex. I am not sure how many computer or computer-like devices are used in modern cars today but there should be a dedicated computer for each critical group of related functions.

Meanwhile, GM was fined $35 million for its delay in the handling of the recall of 2.59 million small cars over faulty ignition switches. Who gets this money? Consider it a down payment on the $10.5 billion taxpayer loss on the GM bailout.

Recalls aren't bad if the companies are doing them immediately on their own. In this case GM swept it under the rug for years and years and years and that mindset did not change until a month ago. Now they're going through all of the stuff they knew about before but chose not to disclose and now they're disclosing them. It's good they're finally there but this is disturbing corporate behavior regardless of which company it is.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Let's try to keep this topic from turning into yet another GM punching bag discussion, if we can muster the will power :wink:

edited May 2014

@akirby said:
    Recalls aren't bad if the companies are doing them immediately on their own. In this case GM swept it under the rug for years and years and years and that mindset did not change until a month ago. Now they're going through all of the stuff they knew about before but chose not to disclose and now they're disclosing them. It's good they're finally there but this is disturbing corporate behavior regardless of which company it is.

I stopped buying American cars in general because it was always "something" that notoriously broke or leaked the entire time I owned it. Things like alternators dying every 30k, coolant bucket leaks that you can't get to w/o removing half the engine, water leaks in the passenger compartment, trunk, taillights, headlights, oil consumption, etc.

It is really nice to have a car where it is always "nothing", & I hope for many more miles of the same.

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

Except for a well-used 1975 Vega Kammback that I bought because it was real cheap (and acted like it), I've had good luck with American vehicles--mostly Pentastar minivans, including a 1991 Dodge 4-banger I owned for 7 years that held up very well and a 1999 DGC I leased for 5 years. I would have no problem buying an American vehicle if I liked it. I almost bought a Milan a few years ago as I really liked that design and heard the reliability was good. Although I like the look of the new Fusion, I'm not sold on the interior and would likely pass on it if I were looking for a new mid-sized car. The Malibu doesn't turn me on either... nor does GM's current state of affairs. The new 200 looks pretty slick and I'd give it a try if I were looking today for a new mid-sizer, but I'm wary of buying a new design in its first year, especially one with new powertrain components e.g. the 9AT on the 200.

I took my wife's 2013 Sonata in for its free scheduled oil change yesterday. In 18 months it's needed nothing but oil changes, tire rotations, and checks. Absolutely no problems. That plus the 10+ years I've had on my 2004 Elantra GT with almost nothing but normal maintenance and repair keep Hyundai on my scope when I look for a new vehicle.

• My dad had an original 1984 Dodge Caravan. A no frills model with grey cloth interior, AMFM 4 speaker stereo, air con, and the base 2.2liter 4. Acceleration was eventual....meaning you could eventually get to 60. I have to say though that it never broke down, and it was really well built.

I guess this is how I adopted the no-frills strategy to reliability. Less stuff to break.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

I had an '85 Voyager. Dead at 60,000 miles when a belt broke and the engine seized. Never again!

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere

Cmon guys - it's not the 80s or 90s any more. There isn't a big difference between brands any more as far as reliability. The worst ones today are better than the best ones 10 years ago.

That is true for sure, that cars nowadays are much better made. And anecdotal evidence doesn't amount to much. Still there are still some notable reliability differences even though overall many less lemons out there!

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited May 2014

@akirby said:
    Cmon guys - it's not the 80s or 90s any more. There isn't a big difference between brands any more as far as reliability. The worst ones today are better than the best ones 10 years ago.

I agree with that statement for the most part, and I for one am proud that GM has come so far, and so quickly. The CTS is the Motortrend COY, the XTS is gorgeous, and all of you have heard me go on about the new Impala....then there is the new C/7 'vette. Beautiful.

In the end though, I want the best engineered car that delivers the most bang for my buck in an attractive package with a long warranty. In late 2011 it wasn't a Malibu, Sebring, Avenger, last gen Fusion, Pontiac G6 (code for Grand Am) etc. I think the fact that Hyundai/Kia offers 10 year, 100k powertrain warranties says a lot about their confidence in the durability of the product, and goes a long way in alleviating any fears of major mechanical breakdown.

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

Yes, in 2011 the Optima and Sonata were at or near the top of the heap in the mid-sized class. But soon the Optima will be the oldest of any of the mid-sized family sedans--once the new Sonata and Legacy debut. How quickly the automotive scene changes!

Warranties mean nothing - it's simply a calculated additional cost to the mfr. When Hondas were bulletproof they only had a 3 yr warranty. When Hyundai first came out with their 10 yr warranty they were terrible. On a modern car the difference between a 3/5 yr warranty and a 10 yr warranty is probably just a few hundred dollars.

yes, warranties are kind of counter-intuitive aren't they? Rationally, the best cars should have the shortest warranties.

edited May 2014

akirby: "warranties mean nothing"

WHAT? I can't believe you said that. You would have a defective gas tank right now if it wasn't for the warranty on your Fusion.

I had a major transmission problem with the Jeep (saved me $6000), and an engine replaced in my then 3year old Saturn SL2. Paid for with meaningless warranties!
    It would be different if I drove 25 miles each way to work in light traffic in the Midwest or even down in suburban Richmond; vs. crawling along the beltway at 103 degrees for an hour each way. It is hard on the car here to say the least. My 20 mpg is a testament to that unrelenting congestion here inside the beltway. It has a major effect on cars under these conditions, causing all kinds of problems.

edited May 2014

cski said:

Gm has to many safety issues/ recalls they may be better made but when your > @cski said:

In the end though, I want the best engineered car that delivers the most bang for my buck in an attractive package with a long warranty. In late 2011 it wasn't a Malibu, Sebring, Avenger, last gen Fusion, Pontiac G6 (code for Grand Am) etc. I think the fact that Hyundai/Kia offers 10 year, 100k powertrain warranties says a lot about their confidence in the durability of the product, and goes a long way in alleviating any fears of major mechanical breakdown.

Alot of New Car buying folks like that added comfort knowing that there investment is covered for longer.. The Car company is standing by there product. If i buy a Hyundai, or a Kia and my vehicle turns out with lots of problems in the 1st, 4 years I could turn around and sell it to my neighbor knowing for the next year if he has any more problems he brings it back to the dealer and its covered.

Both Hyundai and Kia are great vehicles to buy then sell in the 4th yr to someone who could not afford it new.

YOU HAVE NO HEADACHE'S ON YOUR END............... AND THE BUYER HAS PEACE OF MIND For 1yr..

If your not caught up on brand car name which alot are... Check out a Kia Cadenza, or a Genesis for midsize Luxury Dollar for dollar a great bang for your buck. I have own very expensive cars in my day and still do. Some of these newer cars offer alot for the money.

@cski said:
    akirby: "warranties mean nothing"

WHAT? I can't believe you said that. You would have a defective gas tank right now if it wasn't for the warranty on your Fusion.

>

You missed the context. Warranties do not predict the reliability of the vehicle. The worst vehicle can have the best warranty or vice versa. A warranty is simply insurance and a longer warranty just adds a few hundred bucks to the cost of the vehicle. Longer warranty does not mean fewer problems.

Also, warranties don't cover everything. I've never had a problem that a manufacturer warranty would cover within the time period.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098

@suydam said:
    Also, warranties don't cover everything. I've never had a problem that a manufacturer warranty would cover within the time period.

I've had the opposite experience. I had an extended warranty on my wife's 2002 Honda Civic. It paid off when a couple of the electronic parts broke after the 3/36. I also still have one on my Ford Escape Hybrid; there is just too much to go wrong that isn't covered on the hybrid warranty. That one (although more expensive initially) has also paid for itself. That particular vehicle has some stuff that is very expensive to repair.

edited May 2014

One of the first things a tech does when things go awry is replace the ECU. They can cost north of $2k. So, yeah electrical components can and do fail. I had the BCU replaced on the Jeep (Body Control Unit ). That was $1300. Covered!

akirby - gotcha! I understand. :)

• ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539

'13 Accord Sport manual. Fuel economy has taken a hit recently, from about 29 to about 26, due to warmer weather and my shorter commute. I was going to try the last tank on Eco mode, as I'm interested to see if it makes a bigger difference in city driving than it did in mostly highway driving. But then I got irritated the first afternoon of my experiment as the AC wasn't going full blast. :) So the world may never know. I'm okay with the 10% dip in fuel economy, especially as I only fill up only every 12-14 days now. 13K in 11 months, and still love it. The Mazda3 was a good little runabout, but I'm spoiled by space and power, can't imagine downsizing.

edited May 2014

The new Chrysler 200 was proudly displayed on one of those outside ramps at my local dealer. What a beautiful car. I found a picture of the one they had displayed. I hope it holds up well and gets good reviews. Anyway, here the picture. I think I am going to pop in and drive one with the V6, just for S&G.

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681

@cski said:
    The new Chrysler 200 was proudly displayed on one of those outside ramps at my local dealer. What a beautiful car. I found a picture of the one they had displayed. I hope it holds up well and gets good reviews. Anyway, here the picture. I think I am going to pop in and drive one with the V6, just for S&G.

impressive profile...better than other pics I've seen.

It's pretty, but it looks like the high doorsills and the raked back with thick pillars would restrict visibility. I'm all about open and spacious.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere

Good luck with that. Ever since most cars adopted the "Audi Arc" roofline from the 1990s, visibility has (no pun intended) gone out the window, except for anything "boxy" like some SUVs and Mini Coopers, etc.

Honda, Altima have great visibility.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517

Altima was OK. Accord not too bad, but still not great.

every time I drive my 2000 TL, especially when I check the side for a lane change or back it up, I am amazed by how airy it is, and how great the rear visibility is.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

They're "ok". Maybe it's the big clunky headrests that bother me.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517

definitely the hi rise trunk, upswept rear windows, and high beltline are all a problem.

but dang, you get a tiny rear window, and then the rear headrest block the little bit you did get.

I was commenting to my wife that when I drive the old cars now, I glance down at the stereo to see what I am backing up at, and get surprised nothing is there! at this point, she couldn't imagine driving a car without it. Something like our RDX has a massive blind area without the camera, and I would never buy something like it without a camera.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• I am really interested in the 200C with the 295HP, 3.6 liter. That same motor powers 5700lb Quad Cab RAM 1500's, and still gets it to 60 in 7.9 seconds. I am thinking the 200C with AWD (the only way you can get it) is going to be a low 5 second car to 60.

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Maybe not. Truck gearing more for power vs. high speed cruise and mpg. It should be very fast for the category.
    edited May 2014

I would like to see a V6 mid size comparo. The 200S vs Accord V6, Altima 3.5 SL, and the Passat 3.6. I can't recall the last time a comparo like that was done, if ever.

Also, I was mistaken that the 200C is the V6 model. It is actually the 200S. I made the mistake of assuming since the 300C is the V8, then the 200C would be the V6. To top things off, you can get the V6 with FWD instead of AWD. Sorry guys, sometimes I skim over parts as I read an article, and I blew it here.

edited May 2014

cski said,

I would like to see a V6 mid size comparo. The 200S vs Accord V6, Altima 3.5 SL, and the Passat 3.6. I can't recall the last time a comparo like that was done, if ever.

Other than saving a few dollars on the 200c...... Accord , Fusion, Altima, Passat and maybe Mazda still proves to be a better choice.

Your biggest problem with a Chrysler vehicle is after 3 years. How is this model standing up? Is your front end shot? Are the bolts falling out of your Seats yet . Is the glove box and dash squeeking after 30k . Is your transmission acting up yet? The list goes on for Dodge/ Chrysler. If you dont plan on keeping the car for more than 4 or 5 years what is the resale on this vehicle. Has Chrysler improved gas mileage in most models.

Consumer Reports has announced its annual list of worst vehicles, a cringe-inducing contrast to its list of top vehicles. Ignominiously leading the way in 2014 is Chrysler, which has a staggering seven models listed.

Jeep nearly sweeps the small SUV segment by itself, with its Compass, Patriot and 2.4-liter version of the new Cherokee, while the only midsize sedans listed by CR were the Chrysler 200 and Dodge Avenger. The new Dodge Dart and the Dodge Journey round out CR's condemnation of Chrysler.

• Oh yeah, Chrysler has been terrible, and I have little interest in buying one, especially with Fiat as a partner and in a brand new first year model, but it is the first product of the new Sterling Heights Assembly Plant after a 1 billion dollar overhaul.

Chrysler now has a world class production facility, including a fully robotic body shop, new conveyor system, world class paint shop, and a department that assures fit and finish before parts are ever assembled on the vehicle. I just want to drive a product of that new plant.

Nobody back in 2001 could have convinced me I would be driving a Kia one day, so I never say never anymore!

edited May 2014

Here is some early year facts about Chrysler.

Chrysler is an international automobile manufacturer headquartered in Auburn Hills, Michigan. Chrysler was one of the "Big Three" American automobile manufacturers. It sells vehicles worldwide under its flagship Chrysler brand, as well as the Dodge, Jeep and Ram. Other major divisions include Mopar, its automotive parts and accessories division, and SRT, its performance automobile division. In 2014, Chrysler Group LLC is the seventh biggest automaker in the world by production.

The Chrysler Corporation was founded by Walter Chrysler in 1925, out of what remained of the Maxwell Motor Company. Chrysler greatly expanded in 1928, when it acquired the Fargo truck company and the Dodge Brothers Company and began selling vehicles under those brands; that same year it also established the Plymouth and DeSoto automobile brands.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308

Motortrend has a 6 car mid size comparison article. Winner is no surprise. Just about every car journal picks it. People spending actual money, not so much.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited May 2014

Who was it?. let me take a shot.. Kia 1st and malibu or 200c last. I'm not a big fan of motor trend some of there reviews I find off. Bet there is no Camry in the mix either. Not that they deserve to be in the 6

no Kia didn't get top slot---it might have but it died big time in driving dynamics. (short for "poofy suspension" I guess).