Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

@stickguy said:
    I think if you stop at the dealer for an oil change (heck, to use the bathroom) they will give you a Camry on the way out the door. Just, because.

I think i'll go tomm. and leave a floater in my favorite Toyota dealers bathroom . Then wipe myself with a new Camry..

lol............... your killing me ....just because................lol

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

edited July 2014

Mark my words the new 2015 Passat will triple in sales. Write it down Benjaminh for the record..

edited July 2014

The main advantage of the new generation VW Passat is a new Volkswagen’s EA288 2.0L TDI engine. It develops 150 hp and 320 Nm of torque per second. The model equipped with this engine has EPA ratings of 31 mpg city and 43 mpg hwy. Next diesel engines on offer are: 1.8L turbocharged diesel engine with four-cylinder rated at 170 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque, and 24 mpg city/34 mpg hwy and 3.6 V6 engine with 280 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque. It offers 2015 VW Passat to exceed 20 mpg city/28 mpg hwy. Gasoline engines offer will include the 1.4 TSI with 125 hp, and the 2.0 TSI with 279 hp. Such a great offer turbocharged engines with direct injection, should meet the needs of different markets in which 2015 VW Passat will be offered. All engines are mated to a 6-speed manual or automatic transmission. DSG will be available option. And AWD is standard

The new Passat will be the largest vehicle to date, set to the modular MQB platform. The new platform has enabled the reduction of the entire vehicle weight by as much as 220 pounds. Dimensions Passat B8 are almost identical to its predecessor. Only 2 cm longer. Wheelbase is 10 cm higher.

New design lines are taken from the existing CC model. It will have the greatest positive impact on the aerodynamic performance of the vehicle. Not giving up its distinctive VW sedan design, the last Golf model also could have an impact to the look of the new Passat model.

If someone could find and post a pic of the 2015 Passat to show . I don't know how to bring picture over here. Nice sleek looking front would have to see it in person for better judgment.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited July 2014

Why do you think the 2015 Passat will triple? What changes are being made? I think it's a good car now, actually, and I'm puzzled it's not selling better.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    edited July 2014

All around better vehicle than previous years. The Passat has been plagued with reliability problems ho- hum styling, below average acceleration and resale value. This will be a big jump for the Passat. The new improved motors will be a homerun for VW ........ Write it down.

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098

@brian125 said:
    The main advantage of the new generation VW Passat is a new Volkswagen’s EA288 2.0L TDI engine. It develops 150 hp and 320 Nm of torque per second. The model equipped with this engine has EPA ratings of 31 mpg city and 43 mpg hwy. Next diesel engines on offer are: 1.8L turbocharged diesel engine with four-cylinder rated at 170 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque, and 24 mpg city/34 mpg hwy and 3.6 V6 engine with 280 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque. It offers 2015 VW Passat to exceed 20 mpg city/28 mpg hwy. Gasoline engines offer will include the 1.4 TSI with 125 hp, and the 2.0 TSI with 279 hp. Such a great offer turbocharged engines with direct injection, should meet the needs of different markets in which 2015 VW Passat will be offered. All engines are mated to a 6-speed manual or automatic transmission. DSG will be available option. And AWD is standard

The 1.8 is a gas engine, I believe. And unless they are changing things, I don't think the TDI is available with a stick.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,305

Passat is not selling because it looks like a mid 90's Caprice.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@explorerx4 said:
    Passat is not selling because it looks like a mid 90's Caprice.

Funny you say that, because the looks were the first thing I liked. The second was the back seat, and the third was the MPG.

edited July 2014
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469

@stevedebi said:
    The 1.8 is a gas engine, I believe. And unless they are changing things, I don't think the TDI is available with a stick.

You can get a stick on the Passat TDI. I looked at one when I got my Accord.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,514

not the best, but better than nothing.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,514

I like it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Last month sales of the Passat plunged, while the Mazda6 was up nicely. If current trends continue, the 6 might pass the VW at some point.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421

how down were the passat's sales numbers?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@nyccarguy said:
    how down were the passat's sales numbers?

June 2013 = 10,874
    June 2014 = 7,222

down over 33% for the month and down 11% for the year.

Thanks @robr2!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@stickguy said:
    not the best, but better than nothing.

IIRC, that's the Passat B8 which will be sold everywhere but North America. Although our Passat is sold in China, the Euro version is called Magoton and the vehicle pictured will replace it. The next US Passat will be a restyle job AFAIK.

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681

@stevedebi said:
    Funny you say that, because the looks were the first thing I liked. The second was the back seat, and the third was the MPG.

In half an hour I'm going out to lunch with a colleague who drives a 2012 TDI 6M. It's just about 2 years old, which isn't really that indicative of reliability, but has had zero problems.

It's in amazing condition everything has held up well (in this limited time) with no signs of wear and tear (looks new). He always achieves higher than the EPA even though he drives aggressively (torque = awesome).

I too really like the looks; classy and refined. Not certain I'd place it at the top of my design list, but definitely not the bottom.

edited July 2014

The 2015 redesign model is so much nicer than the P-b8 posted above. check out either spy shots or google 15 Passat. Its due out late this year.The Outgoing Passat and sales are down. The new redesign 2015 will be like when the Accord went from the 12 to 13 model. Night and day. Vw has to make sure the quality of this vehicle stays on par with its class leaders. The new motor choice's will help this model. I would think the Manuel's will be a lot of fun to drive. I like the look of the new Passat. Nice clean lines. Don't think it will appeal to the younger generation kids. Just my 2 cents.

Who can bring a picture on board here so we could view the 2015 Passat.

@brian125 said:
    The 2015 redesign model is so much nicer than the P-b8 posted above. check out either spy shots or google 15 Passat. Its due out late this year.The Outgoing Passat and sales are down. The new redesign 2015 will be like when the Accord went from the 12 to 13 model. Night and day. Vw has to make sure the quality of this vehicle stays on par with its class leaders. The new motor choice's will help this model. I would think the Manuel's will be a lot of fun to drive. I like the look of the new Passat. Nice clean lines. Don't think it will appeal to the younger generation kids. Just my 2 cents.

Who can bring a picture on board here so we could view the 2015 Passat.

The 2015 Euro Passat will be introduced on-line tomorrow. You'll just have to wait.

pic are out already

edited July 2014

@dudleyr said:
    You can get a stick on the Passat TDI. I looked at one when I got my Accord.

Right you are! That VW site is confusing. I finally found it as "available". The VW dealer didn't have any in stock.

EDIT: OK, that is why I didn't see one. The stick is only available on the SE, not the higher trims.

The new look VW website is terrible

• gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218

I just noticed that Ford has the build configurator up on their website now for the 2015 Fusion. And, oh boy, does the news look bad for the row team: there's no way to build the SE anymore w/a manual transmission. I hope I'm missing something here - the order guide they released to dealers in May still had the manual listed as an option. Perhaps this is a last minute/cost cutting change (eliminating the stick option drops the 1.6 from the build sheets)? If so, I guess my potential choices in the midsize class just dropped to two: the 6 and the Accord and the 6 isn't configurable w/a sunroof so...

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062

It is in the order guide as you mentioned but not on the website. Maybe they decided to drop the 1.6 early and the 1.5L manual combo isn't tested yet.

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

Another option you might consider is a Jetta GLI with a stick. Interior and trunk-wise it's very close if not bigger than some mid-sizers. Also the new 2015 Passat may offer a stick with sunroof, not sure about that.

@gogophers1 said:
    I just noticed that Ford has the build configurator up on their website now for the 2015 Fusion. And, oh boy, does the news look bad for the row team: there's no way to build the SE anymore w/a manual transmission. I hope I'm missing something here - the order guide they released to dealers in May still had the manual listed as an option. Perhaps this is a last minute/cost cutting change (eliminating the stick option drops the 1.6 from the build sheets)? If so, I guess my potential choices in the midsize class just dropped to two: the 6 and the Accord and the 6 isn't configurable w/a sunroof so...

Honda Accord EX has a standard sunroof/moonroof, and is available with a 6MT. Finding one, however, won't be easy....

None of the midsize stick choices were perfect (Honda makes you forgo satellite radio and limits buyers to two bland color options when they check the stick box, Mazda blocks both the sunroof AND satellite radio when opting for the manual), but I liked the Ford the best (styling, handling and standard keypad entry on the SE trim). Passats aren't available with both the stick and sunroof either, and, keeping with recent VW tradition, are only available with vinyl seating (blech) on the midlevel trimlines. I'm also not a fan of the "styling" of the Passat. I don't mind the Jetta but I think it's overpriced when optioned and I still don't trust the reliability of any VW wearing a Jetta badge.

The Golf wagon would potentionally be a possibility (still a few months out) but I'm sure it will be an all vinyl affair too.

@benjaminh said:
    Honda Accord EX has a standard sunroof/moonroof, and is available with a 6MT. Finding one, however, won't be easy....

edited July 2014

Just seen a ad for the Sonata. 4th weekend giving a additional 2500 off in incentives. ``On top of there other incentives. Not a bad deal probably could walk away with one for 20% plus off the MSRP on any Sonata.

Saw an ad. Sorry - pet peeve.

• plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738

None of the midsize stick choices were perfect (Honda makes you forgo satellite radio and limits buyers to two bland color options when they check the stick box,

I did some checking and it looks like there isn't an entry-level car(small) forum or a sports car forum or a convertible or coupe forum to speak of. So basically everything that's not a SUV, Truck, or entry-level luxury sedans gets tossed in here as there are no other real options.

Sport, entry, coupe, and basic all returned zero forum name hits. It looks like quite literally there is "Midsize Sedans" and "Entry-Level Performance Sedans" and nothing else.

If you look beyond just midsize 4 door sedans, your options for manual transmission cars greatly increases.
    Note - it's also why I routinely go outside the "box" - because there isn't another forum for those types of cars.

edited July 2014

@akirby said:
    Saw an ad. Sorry - pet peeve.

No you should of said ..................... You saw the Ad I seen.

Should've not should of. Sorry......

edited July 2014

Certainly there are other options out there if one requires a manual transmission (compact sedans, performance coupes, and the Acura TSX and BMW 2/3 series to name a few), I just would prefer a midsize sedan for its practicality and value. I feel like I'm too old for a compact now (at 38) - they don't have enough room (and don't possess the image I need to present in my profession); performance coupes, again, lack room and they're a pain to drive in urban areas with heavy traffic; the Acura TSX could be an option but it's got a tiny trunk and backseat (and I think it's being eliminated from Acura's line-up) and the baby Bimmers start getting expensive once a person starts equipping them like the avg. ENTRY level midsize car (add satellite radio, a sunroof and metallic paint and you're looking at close to a $40K ride - with vinyl seats!)... $40K is a heckuva lot of money to throw on a depreciating asset for a guy who's still paying a mortgage.

@plekto said:
    None of the midsize stick choices were perfect (Honda makes you forgo satellite radio and limits buyers to two bland color options when they check the stick box,

I did some checking and it looks like there isn't an entry-level car(small) forum or a sports car forum or a convertible or coupe forum to speak of. So basically everything that's not a SUV, Truck, or entry-level luxury sedans gets tossed in here as there are no other real options.

Sport, entry, coupe, and basic all returned zero forum name hits. It looks like quite literally there is "Midsize Sedans" and "Entry-Level Performance Sedans" and nothing else.

If you look beyond just midsize 4 door sedans, your options for manual transmission cars greatly increases.
    Note - it's also why I routinely go outside the "box" - because there isn't another forum for those types of cars.

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

There IS an entry-level car forum here, although it hasn't had any activity for awhile--feel free to get it going again!

forums.edmunds.com/discussion/1973/toyota/aveo/low-end-sedans-under-16k#latest

Of course, one option for a mid-sized sedan with a stick is to get a gently used one, since in recent years sticks have nearly disappeared. And if one goes the gently used route, it's possible to pick up an entry luxury sedan with a stick for the same money as a new mid-sized sedan.

@plekto said:

edited July 2014

A new choice in midsize?

Acura is just about to introduce the "all-new" 2015 TLX, starting at $30,995. Yes, I know this thread is about standard midsize cars, and not entry-level "near luxury" cars like this one, but at this price the Acura TLX really is competitive with several midsize cars that when optioned up list for something close to this. I would call this pricing either "aggressive" or desperate depending on how you look at it.

Anyway, a 4-cylinder EXL Accord, for instance, has an msrp of $28,270. Setting aside for the moment the large discounts you can get on the Accord, getting an Acura for less than $3000 more might be worth considering.

Why?

Well, Acura certainly doesn't have the prestige of BMW, Audi, MB, etc., but still puts you a cut above the nearly 400,000 people a year who buy Accords.

In terms of what you actually get for that money compared to the Accord, here are a few things....

-more horsepower (206 compared to 185), although you have to use premium fuel

-all-new 8 speed dual clutch transmission (compared to the Accord's CVT, which actually I love)

-Premium interior compared with the Accord

-longer warranty

-4 wheel steering that apparently is quite good

-"jewel eye" led headlights

-better sound system

-etc.

For someone looking at a high-end regular midsize car, it might be worth thinking about. When I'm next in the market I might give it a test drive.

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=7822-en&linkId=8718219

edited July 2014

Acura TSX / Acura TLX

The TSX is definitely more in line with the mid size cars we speak of in here price wise. Overall this vehicle not quiet as good thou. With the Acura tsx ratings and reviews that I posted below from Edmunds I don't think this vehicle will ever compete with The Accords , Camrys, or Fusions..

The Acura 2015, TLX is for sure a step up in class and vehicle. I would consider buying this car if I want a loaded Accord. or Fusion. Buying either model puts you in the 32/ 33k range in price OTD.. The Acura TLX, starts at 31k with the smaller motor offered. Now I'm entering in a much higher price range where you have the Lexus ES 350, Avalon, and Genesis. All very good choices depending on your needs and how much you want to spend. A loaded TLX is almost 45k. Inline with the 3 cars mentioned.

Review of the 2014 Acura TSX

Although the 2014 Acura TSX is still a respectable choice for an entry-level luxury sedan, it's starting to fall behind in key areas and ultimately isn't as compelling as some rivals.

Safety | Reliability

Pros
    Pleasing amount of standard equipment; spacious interior; sporty handling on V6 model; excellent build and materials quality.

Cons
    Unimpressive braking performance; lackluster acceleration and fuel economy; can't be equipped with certain desirable technology features.

What's New for 2014
    The 2014 Acura TSX returns unchanged.

I like the peace of mind that comes from having a new car under warranty.

Back when I was buying used cars (in the '90s), it was hard enough to find a midsize stickshift w/anything near how I'd want it equipped (and I was open to the Legacy, Galant, Accord, Altima, Passat AND Camry at the time). God only knows how difficult that same endeavor would be today.

The days of the stickshift are going away for good; I'd like to get one last thrill (before we're all herded onto public transportation and forced to live in Swedish Walking Flats along designated commuter routes).

@backy said:
    There IS an entry-level car forum here, although it hasn't had any activity for awhile--feel free to get it going again!

forums.edmunds.com/discussion/1973/toyota/aveo/low-end-sedans-under-16k#latest

Of course, one option for a mid-sized sedan with a stick is to get a gently used one, since in recent years sticks have nearly disappeared. And if one goes the gently used route, it's possible to pick up an entry luxury sedan with a stick for the same money as a new mid-sized sedan.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

Umm, it's in the countries that have public transportation where stick shift cars are more common. Since we don't, and thus have to drive a lot more, we like to be comfy. That aside and back to the subject, probably the Mazda or Accord are your best choices.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere

The only country in the world where stick shifts aren't popular is the USA, where most cars instead have automatic transmissions.

Until recently, cars with stick shifts got better MPG than cars with automatic transmissions, and since gas costs much more in most places outside the USA, people preferred using a stick. Sticks are also simpler and cheaper to make.

In most newer cars, engineering has improved and there isn't any significant MPG difference between the two types of transmissions. But since countries that used stick shifts are used to them, they continue to be popular.

Some people also prefer stick shifts because they do give you more control over the car; I've had both types of cars and I agree with that, but I prefer an automatic because it's less work.

edited July 2014

Re: TLX, Premium fuel and lackluster fuel mileage ratings are not going to help it. Plus they kept the front styling that most people don't seem to like. The 8 speed DCT is a potentially good feature.

edited July 2014

@explorerx4 said:
    Re: TLX, Premium fuel and lackluster fuel mileage ratings are not going to help it. Plus they kept the front styling that most people don't seem to like. The 8 speed DCT is a potentially good feature.

The TLX is rated 28 mpg overall with the 2.4. That's the same as the smaller BMW 320i, which costs a lot more comparably equipped. And I'm pretty sure almost all "near luxury" cars require premium fuel.

There are diesels and hybrids that get higher mpg, but I don't know of any midsize "near luxury" car that uses gas that's higher than 28 mpg combined. But maybe I'm missing something?

I do like the rather sci-fi James Bond look of the pushbutton transmission in the TLX. Overall, the interior looks very nice to me. Some people (including me) have said that the current Accord when you get an EXL and above is almost an "Acura Accord." The TLX establishes considerable distance between the Accord and the TLX in interior design.

@benjaminh, I missed the numbers for the 2.4. I thought the 21/34/25 was for that engine. Still requires premium fuel, which gives back the mileage gains. The current Accord has a very plain interior, but I guess it all depends on what you are used to.

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181

I just saw a review of the new 1.5l ecoboost Fusion SE and the reviewer had the car for a week and averaged 23.5mpg. Now that is what I would call lackluster. If the new TLX can get at or close to it's EPA estimates, which Honda and Acura have a good history of doing, it certainly wouldn't be considered "lackluster". Where does that statement even come from other than just plain bashing? Plus, who knows if the 2.4 will even require premium. My '13 Acura RDX doesn't. To my knowledge, the specs on fuel have not been published yet for the TLX but I haven't really did any research on it either.

edited July 2014

lackluster fuel is noted on the smaller 2014 model TSX........ not the 2015 TLX

I was referring to explorerx4 post when he referred to the TLX having lackluster mpg and premium fuel.

edited July 2014

If anyone finds an Acura that doesn't recommend premium fuel, let me know.
    The numbers are based on 91 octane.
    My Fusion is tuned to make more power on premium, but since I'm averaging 4 mpg over the EPA combined mileage and it has plenty of power, I don't feel there is any reason to use premium.
    Here is a pic of some new and old
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021145/uploads/editor/w9/kxlcgwskdkvy.jpg

You originally said "premium required". Are you now changing it to "premium recommended"? My Acura is premium recommended but regular runs just fine. I think Ford also recommends premium for optimal performance in their ecoboost engines if I recall correctly but regular runs fine as well. The Lexus ES350 and RX350 are both regular gas and premium is not even recommended.

I took the post by benjaminh as fact. My mistake. Numbers are still based on premium fuel, so what is going to suffer mileage or power? On RUG the 2.4 will probably make the same power as the Accord. B)

I just haven't seen anything written about what fuel the 2.4 is supposed to use but I would agree with you that it is probably at least "premium recommended". I've never seen a real power comparison on the RDX 3.5 running on regular vs. premium. I assume there is some degradation in power but I don't think it's a whole lot. I use midgrade in mine all the time and it shoots when I want it to.