Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Waxes and Polishes, Part II

Comments

• pblevinepblevine Member Posts: 858
    You can't use FF on plastic and rubber trim pieces? Didn't know that. To my way of thinking, those parts need protection too. One of the reasons I like Zaino is that I can cover 'everything' with it (well, maybe not window glass). The bumpers on my Accord are made from plastic and there are a number of chrome parts too.
  • hgileshgiles Member Posts: 66
    I know it sounds simple, but I have never considered using a bathtowel to dry off my car. I've used synthetic and real chamois cloths. Tried a quality bath towel today, and it was a lot less effort than any other way of drying off the car. Everything that can save me time washing my car is of with me.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I use Zaino on the windows and plastic and rubber and chrome. If you cull the car maintenance literature, not too much is mentioned of the fact that the horizontal surfaces wear much quicker than the vertical surfaces and the plastic,rubber,and fake chrome wear even faster.
    So looking at it backwards, the rubber/plastic/ fake chrome should be done on a much more frequent cycle than even the paint job.
    Sorry, "Everything that can save me time washing my car is --OK-- with me."
  • hagarhagar Member Posts: 12
    I found zymol car care products at autosupermart.com and they seem to like them a lot, especially the care care bulletin board is very good source for this stuff autosupermart.com/bbs/
    has anyone tried zymol and compared it to zaino or other waxes mentioned here.
  • jemattjematt Member Posts: 6
    Zymol is a good wax, however, it is not a long lasting product. Their higher end waxes perform quite well. About Autosupermart: they delete all questions/comments on their BBS that aren't endorsin in nature, so take it with a grain of salt. I prefer Zaino to Zymoyl, less expensive, longer lasting, and as good (if not better) shining properties. Their HD Cleanse (paint cleaner) is top notch, however (IMHO).
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    Received my Zaino Z1 and Z2 today. Washed the Tundra with Dawn and started "Zainoing". Very impressed with the results after the 1st coat. Coat #2 will be applied sometime late tomorrow evening or Sunday morning. Expecting an even better shine as per previous posts. This stuff is great on chrome and plastic trim, too. Sometimes you CAN belive what you read! Thanks to all who recommended Zaino.
  • jrsantosjrsantos Member Posts: 1
    The finish on my black car has collected a bunch of what I assume to be acid rain stains. Would claying remove these stains or should I use a cleaner such as HD Cleanse or do I need something harsher like P21S Finish Restorer?
  • putter5putter5 Member Posts: 12
    Just ordered the Zaino products . Do I need to strip off the Nu Finish I recently applied before starting the process. The car is still beading up pretty good so the 2 applications made in the last 4 months seem to be holding upbut I want more
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    putter5-

YES!!!! Wash with the DAWN to get the Nu Finish OFF! Wait til you see the shine! The more coats, the "wetter-looking" the shine! Take a look at these pics- http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/7501/ Just scroll past all the Chrysler crap to get to the good stuff! LOL....

fastdriver
  • drscopemdrscopem Member Posts: 83
    Hi:
    - #220 - acid rain stains
    Clay works on junk on the surface or stuck in it. The only way to remove a stain is to remove the surface that is stained. This will involve the use of polishes and glazes.
    If you have HD Cleanse then give it a try. I would not use the p21S by itself except as a last resort, despite what the tube says.
    If you have not yet purchased anything then I would recommend my old favorite - 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. It is available from many auto parts shops, NAPA stores, auto paint stores, etc.
    There are many different levels of abrasives available. Always go with the least abrasive mixture first and advance slowly. Your paint is thin (about the thickness of two pieces of notebook paper) and you can hit primer without much effort.
    Good luck.
    putter5 - Listen to fastdriver on the plain dawn dishwashing liquid. It is the best way to get the Nufinish off and not cloud up your finish when you put Zaino on. Zaino is virtually 100% optically pure and you don't want any Nufinish on underneath it.
  • musclecarmanmusclecarman Member Posts: 7
    What removes the white residue that has etched itself into the plastic trim? Also what waxes besides Zaino can be applied without leaving the white residue on trim?

Thanks
  • codakcodak Member Posts: 10
    I know that nobody probably remembers this, but about 2 weeks ago I had trouble with Z1 and Z2 drying on my car. I was finally able to wash my car again over the weekend, and put a coat of Z2 on VERY thin this time. It only took 30 minutes to dry and made my car extremely shiny. So, all you first time users of Zaino, be patient. If it doesn't work the first time you use it, try again and you most likely get great results.
  • cwilkescwilkes Member Posts: 5
    I just finishing waxing my new Xterra and there is some wax on the Black door handles that will not come off? Any suggestions?
  • huantshuants Member Posts: 6
    I have a new 99 Odyssey. I followed the info I got here and ordered the Zaino. How about the interior? Can someone give me some input about what to use for dash, plastic panel, light covers etc. Thank you for the help.
    #220 Acid Rain Stains: Wow, I'm not sure what to do. Since I'm a Zaino user, I'd try Z5 Polish before trying any real abrasive. Is the stain really deep into your paint?

#225 White Wax Residue: 'Had the same problem before switching to Zaino. I took a tooth pick and gently rubbed the white residue till it started to flake, and then washed it out using a little Dawn (followed by a big rinse).

#226 Long Z1 Drying Times: I remember 'cause it happened to me too. And I did the same thing a week later with very good results too. We should recommend an overnight drying of Z1. I've also heard (via Chris Parrish) that Z1's formula is being improved to allow for quicker drying.

#228 Plastic Cleaning: I've tried the Zaino Plastic Cleaner and it seems to do a good job.

And finally, my frustration: After all the work I did to maintain a great shine, someone gave my car a really deep scratch on the door. It goes down to the base metal. Damn! Now I'll have to learn to repair real damage or let my dealer do the work. I kept this car in absolute mint condition for a year. Maybe I should install those lousy looking rubber guard strips all around.
  • ajmacyajmacy Member Posts: 6
    Huants, I also have a 99 Odyssey and I have applies 2 coats of Zaino so far. I have read several posts from Zaino users about applying it to almost all of the vehicle. When I applied it, I ended up with white residue on some of the plastic. I didn't purposely apply it to the plastic but just where the applicator touched the plastic while I was applying it to the paint. Should I have applied it to all of the plastic? Thanks for any suggestions!
  • huantshuants Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the reply. I ordered some zainos a week ago and have not received them yet.
    ajmacy, which exterior part of your Ody was touched by your applicator? I thought both Z1 and Z2 are safe to light lens, bumper and everything exterior. Maybe the more experienced Zaino users can answer this confuse. Thanks.
    No confusion, while Zaino has a product for plastics, I have used the Z1, Z-2, and Z-6 has been used with protective results also. I use z-6 on the windows also. While there are different kinds of textures of plastics, it does protect very well. If the plastics, after the use of the above does not meet your approval, I would stay with the Zaino plastics product. (sorry do not have access to my bottles to tell you the numbers)
  • irinazirinaz Member Posts: 2
    Ajmacy, I also have a 99 Odyssey and I also have
    applied 2 coats of Zaino so far. And there are no residue on the plastic at all.
    And I did purposely apply it to the plastic!
    Maybe you used too much Zaino?
    I had some white residue originally left over from when I used a regular wax, and I had to use a tooth pick to loosen it up. But if your residue only appeared AFTER only using Z2, then perhaps it is just left over from the removal step. Again, as others have said, Z2 can be applied to external plastic parts without harm. When you use a clean white towel to remove the Z2 residue after drying, some may be left over due to the towel not being able to get to it. Maybe you could use just the edge of the towel to get it out of those small spaces. Is the residue sticking to the surface or is it just a loose deposit?
    I have never had this problem with Zaino, but have you tried spraying some Z-6 on the white residue? Can't hurt.

fastdriver
  • SleepmkerSleepmker Member Posts: 2
    Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with using zaino products on chromed metal? Should I start from scratch and use z1 and z2? I'm sure it won't hurt anything but wondering if just plain old wax would be best?
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions. On my Odyssey the Zaino left a residue on the black trim under the doors. The black trim on the back bumper did not seem to show the residue as much. I did not apply it to the entire plastic area but may try that the next time I Z-2. I did put on too much Z-1 and Z-2 on the initial coats but quickly learned how much (little) was enough. Thanks again for all the great suggestions.
    ajmacy, Maybe (just a guess) when you used too much Z1 on the lower black trim area, it didn't dry properly (ie: long enough). Try rubbing it out. Again, was there any possible residue from older waxes in that area?

Seelpmker, You CAN apply Zaino's Z1 and Z2 to all exterior metal parts such as chrome. It may not due a lot to protect the chrome (which doesn't need it), but it sure will make it shine!
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    fastdriver---love the look of your car, sorry for the problems you're having. I'd like to "pick your brain" about "Z" since you have a lot of experience.

ruski--very cool GTP!

I did the "Z" thing for the first time on my 2 week old Grand Prix, bright red. It went like this:

1. Dawn wash
    2. Clay with clay magic using "Z" car wash/water as lube
    3. Rinsed off the residue/streaks
    4. Dried with "the Absorber"
    5. Z1 applied (what I thought was very thinly...only put a few drops of Z1 on the applicator for each panel)
    6. Z2 applied over the Z1 (again, using only a few drops on the applicator)
    7. Tried to wipe off the next day

I did this with no abnormally high temps (mid 80s) or humidity (about 50%).

Problems:
    --I can barely see the z1-z2 on the car as I was applying it
    --clay didn't seem to pick up much off the paint and deteriorated quickly after about 1/2 the car was done (did 1/2 the car with falling apart clay). Paint didn't feel appreciably smoother than it did before the clay. Did I just not have many contaminants or did I do somehting wrong?
    --Z was a [non-permissible content removed] to get off even after drying overnight. Isn't it supposed to "wipe" right off? I believe that I used "very little" Z1-Z2.

I actually re "Z1-Z2" the next day to make sure. It was still a [non-permissible content removed] to get off. I still have parts that I have to wipe the Z1-Z2 off several days later (again, I put it on so thin that it's hard to see).

I don't see the extra-ordinary "shine" that you achieved (although the car does look good).

Questions:

I believe I now have 2 coats of Z1-Z2 on my car. What should I try next to get the "wet look" you achieved? Will the Z16 (I think that's the number) shine spray give the wet look I hear so many of you talk about? Will another Z2 coat help?

Car is not really dirty. Can I use the Z16 without washing? Follow up with z2? (again without a wash)

The surface of the paint does feel very "slick" now I must admit.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    A few observations:
    -How did the car feel after using the clay? When I clayed my car, the result was VERY smooth. The fact that the clay fell apart probably indicates something. Either you didn't lubricate the surface correctly (ie: not enough liquid), the clay wasn't any good, or it didn't pick up all the dirt and junk on the surface. If the clear coat surface isn't cleanly prepared, nothing including Zaino can help.

-I also had a hard time getting my first Z1 application to dry. After my first Z1/Z2 combination, my finish was still 'wet' after an overnight wait. But that was in very cold and humid conditions. I believe that Zaino is now improving Z1 to allow for quicker drying. Anyway, after all was dry and I finally wiped the car clean, the results were very good. That is, the car was very "clean" and the shine was also very good.

-Since you've already applied a layer of Z1, your next application of Z2 can proceed. Additional applications of Z2 will not require Z1 until well after a year and/or numerious Z2 applications. Just wash with a little of the Zaino "Car Wash" solution, enhance a lilttle with the Z6 (to prep the surface), and apply the next layer of Z2. Maybe you should let it dry overnight. These additional Z2 layers will really enhance the shine and make the car 'glow'. Let us know what happens.
    I had instructed the dealer to just remove the plastic from the van when it came in so I must have got too much Z-1 on the plastic and not removed it properly. Should I use a little elbow grease to remove the residue or just apply Z-2 over the entire plastic area when I get around to applying another coat? Thanks for all your help!
    graphicguy-

Gee, I wish I could add more to what pblevine said above, but I can't. The ONLY thing that I can think of is: 1. You used more then you thought you did. 2. Maybe it was more humid then you thought?

Sal Zaino recommends that you use Z-1 twice a year OR after you have put on 10 coats of Z-2. He says "It will however, tighten up and strengthen the polish system and increase the gloss and slickness."

Try this site for some more hints on using Zaino- http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/6021/zainofaq.html If you still have questions, just e-mail Chris and tell him that I sent you. He's a ZAINO expert!

Hope something here helps you.

fastdriver
    fastdriver said it well. Access Chris Parrish's site as per the link in fastdriver's post above. Chris really is the most knowledgable detailer (IMHO) in the country. And yes, a little elbow grease will help.
    Thanks for the response.

In answer to your questions:

I used "claymagic-blue" which I got at PepBoys. I've seen it recommended many times, so I'll assume it's good stuff. I did use a spray bottle of a couple of caps of Z car wash and filled the sprayer with water. I clayed one panel at a time and spayed the entire panel with the water/Z wash. The clay ran over the surface very effortlessly. It just broke down after 1/2 the car was done and was very "wet". I have a feeling that maybe there wasn't as much "contamination" on the car as others since the car was sitting on the dealer's lot less than 24 hours and still had the plastic on it when I bought it. Dealer said the car came by truck, not rail. On the other hand, I doubt that the dealer knows since the only thing he saw was a truck and not a train pullin with the car.

The car felt as smooth before the clay as after the clay. It did pick up a little, but not much.

I almost got the impression that I used too little z1, z2 (maybe 4-5 little drops/panel) of each. Is that possible? Is the car protected with that small of an amount? How much do you put on the applicator for each panel?

It does feel slick. I'm going to try the 3rd application of Z2 this weekend. Wiping down with z6 first. Hope it works since everyone is raving about it.

I'll let you know what happens.
    graphicguy-

Hang in there! Don't give up! Once you get the hang of it you'll be laughing about all of this.

It IS tricky to get the right amount of ZAINO on the pad. I make two lines down the length of the pad and then squeeze the pad together to force it into the pad. Once the pad is at the right consistency, you'll need less and less ZAINO. Usually by the time the pad is JUST right, I'm all DONE and wish I had another car to do because it would take no time at all! LOL.......

I KNOW that, soon, one of your messages will say- "you guys were right. It just takes getting used to"!!!! ;-))

I'll be waiting. Good luck.

fastdriver
  • yfeityfeit Member Posts: 2
    Would paper towels hurt the finish on my car? Are they terribly abrasive? Maintenance products like Meguiars Quick Detailer would be more convenient if I could use paper towel instead of 100% cotton.
  • chirompchiromp Member Posts: 10
    I can't seem to find a web site for Zaino products or any other web site to purchase these products, any help?
    mitch
    Graphicguy,
    fastdriver has a good method. If you're still having some trouble, here's another alternative (not better, just another way): I give the applicator about 3 quick sprays of Z6 (Gloss Enhancer) and squeeze the applicator to distribute the Z6. Then I apply Z2 to one side of the applicator in two lines forming an "X". I squeeze the applicator again to distribute the Z2. When I apply it to a panel, I just move lightly across the panel in one direction. And just like a house painter, I then use overlapping strokes to cover the rest of the panel. Zaino recommends that you apply Z2 in lengthwise (front to back)strokes on horizontal panels (ie: roof) and vertical strokes for vertical panels.

Paper Towels: Do NOT use paper towels on a clear coated finish. They contain tiny amounts of abrasive junk picked up in the paper recycling process. Think of paper as wood. Fine for windows, bad for glossly shines.

web: Try: www.zainobros.com
  • rjdaunders1rjdaunders1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, newcomer to this topic. People here don't seem fond of silicon based products. Can anyone tell me why? Turtle Wax make a new product, I think it's called Turtle Wax 2000, that I think is silicon-based. Can it be used safely on a new car to protect it? I don't think I can be bothered to order Zaino products - is there a good off-the-shelf alternative that is widely available (e.g. at Walmart?)
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Meguiar's Gold Class Paste is available nearly everywhere and costl less then $10.00. It works great and lasts a long time.

This is my hood, nice clouds huh? :-)
    rjdaunders1-

IF you want to see a ZAINO shine, just click here and scroll past the Chrysler crap- http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/7501/ There are several different pages of ZAINO pics. One even has clouds too! ;-))

If pblevine's link above is not enough try these-
    http://www.cyburban.com/~afyodoro/300m-zaino2.html or here- http://www.birdcats.com/articles/zaino/

I think that we don't use the silicon based products because they don't last as long as Zaino and are not as easy to use/apply/wipe off. I guess you'll just have to decide for yourself what to use.

Hope this helps you.

fastdriver
    Thanks to all for the advice. I did drop Chris Parrish (great guy) an e-mail and he and I are trying to work with the issue. What it could be is that I actually used too little of Z, if that's possible. I always hear of people using too much. The other possibility is that I've got some really "difficult" water in my part of the woods.

Anyway, I'm z-washing, z6, z2 again tomorrow. I didn't use nearly as much z1 or z2 on my polish pad as you guys explained before. Don't know if I should z1 again or not? Opinions? I put about a "dime size" dot on my pad of z1 then z2 per panel. I'll try the "x"/Z2 technique and z6 spray on the pad.

Problem is it won't get much above 70 here. It still may not dry. Hope I don't end up with streaks again.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted.
    graphicguy-

LOL....too little! I guess we have everyone paranoid about using too much so you went the other way! I'm telling you- once you have the "technique" down, you'll laugh your head off over all of this.

70's is fine as long as there's no humidity. I've applied Z-2 and Z-6 in the high 30's to low 40's right in the sun with NO problems.

Good luck. Keep us posted. Glad that Chris got right back to you because he is VERY busy. I knew that he could help.

fastdriver
  • scruplekscruplek Member Posts: 33
    Ok, so how do you Zaino the top of an Odyssey?

I panicked when I read about using Fieldcrest and Cannon towels to dry off vehicles. I looked at my Walmart and Kmart $4.99 towels and they all say 100% cotton. So, how come you guys are buying such expensive towels? Won't these do?

I just got my van 2 weeks ago and have already washed it with Dawn twice, not knowing I was stripping all the polish off. What do I do now until my erazer and zaino stuff comes? Love bugs are horrible now and I live down a dirt road too.
    graphicguy-

I'll be thinking of you today as I Z-2/Z-6 my car too! The weather is perfect in CT today. Sunny, cool and no humidity! Going to wash it first, then continue with the Z. Maybe I'll time it this time to see how long it actually takes.

Happy Z'ing.

fastdriver
    We will be "Z" ing at the same time. Must be a "Z"en thing.

BTW--What did Chryco ever do about your mismatched seats?
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    may also be interested in this new topic
    Removing (dealer) stickers, labels, decals... that is, without scratching the surface of your vehicle. If you have any questions, or advise, on this subject please stop by. Thanks.

Pocahontas
    Community Leader/Coupe, Convertibles, and Sports Cars
    graphicguy-

"BTW--What did Chryco ever do about your mismatched seats?"

NOT A THING!!!!! Factory rep wouldn't even admit that he could FEEL the difference, never mind see the difference!

fastdriver
    Sorry folks, I am a little stumped about the z-1 z-2 problem with the temp and humidity.

Today at 59 degrees, 84% humidity, 29.87 bp, I spot applied z-1 and z-2 out in the open and total dry time total for z-1 z-2 was 15 min. I love the smell of Z-2 in the morning! (with 100% cotton applicator)

If you are doing a big suv, a good rule of thumb is approximately one oz. for the whole job. Panel by panel would be a dime to a nickel size dab. or divide one oz by the # of equal sized panels.

Don't let the applicator suck up the Z-2, so you can use a dampened applicator with a couple of shots of Z-6. That will let the z-2 float over your panel.
  • ccstangccstang Member Posts: 3
    Scruplek --

I found Cannon Towels, 100% cotton, made in the U.S.A., SUPER-GIGANTOR size towels, distributed by the Fieldcrest company, at my local Wal-Mart Supercenter for only 5 bucks apiece! What a bargain! I guess now I just have to hope that there aren't any Fieldcrest counterfieters out there :)
    graphicguy-

I washed the 300 yesterday, but didn't Z it until this morning. I did time myself. I was outside at 8 AM. It was sunny and rather cool- 50's with little or no humidity. Working normally, I put on the Z-2 and had it all wiped off by 8:45. I never timed myself before, but I would say that this is usually all it ever takes me. I don't understand this whole thing about people letting it dry OVERNIGHT or for hours- unless it's humid out when you apply it. I never had to do this. There may have been times when it took me more then 45 minutes, but never hours!

This is why I have so many coats of Z-2 and Z-6 on the car and why it looks so great! To me, this is not a chore. At the same time, I'm always driving a clean, shiny car. Even with being out in Hurricane Floyd, my car was clean. I washed it because there was some dirt along the bottom of the doors. If I wasn't going to Z it, I wouldn't even have to wash it. Putting it in the garage soaking wet does not affect its appearance at all. The rain does not leave waterspots all over it. I don't know if this is because of the Z-2 or the
    Z-6. All I know is that it looked as good as the antique/classic cars that I saw today at a car show. I even saw a 1966 Red Cadillac Convertible like I used to have- the one on my website. The guy said it was for sale, but I didn't even ask how much. If it was a fortune, I would have kicked myself for selling mine. If it was reasonable, I might have been tempted to buy it! ;-))

I've rambled long enough. How did you make out waxing your car? Did the streaks go away? I was thinking of you as I was putting the Z-2 on the applicator pad. I was questioning myself if I had too little or too much!! ;-))

fastdriver
    AAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! OK, now I see what everyone was talking about.

I "z" washed, Z6'd and Z2'd my bright red GTP yesterday. I used pblevine's trick of putting a couple of light squirts of z6 on the applicator followed by putting z2 with a couple of light lines in an "X" pattern on the applicator. Applied in either a front to back motion on all top surfaces or an up to down application on all side surfaces. Let it dry/haze for about 40 minutes. Literally just wiped the haze off, no buffing.

What I ended up with was a finish that looked like it was going to "drip" right off the car. Very vibrant and glowing!

The question now is, how long will this shine last?

I can say that I've used many premium waxes including Blitz, Colonite, Wax Shop, Meguiars, and my previous favorite, Eagle 1 Wet. None of them come any where near the vibrant shine I got with Zaino. No white residue on plastic/rubber parts (I used Z2 on every outside surface, except for tires and windows). No buffing. Easy on (once I got the hang of it...frustrating for 1st time users, though). Easy off. A very "slick" feeling finish.

It took me 2 successive weekends to get it "right", but well worth the effort considering the results.

After the initial Dawn, clay (my car is new and didn't have near the contaminants as I've heard others have had), rinse, dry, z1-z2 application and wipe down I did last weekend, the subesequent maintenance isn't too bad. It took me about an afternoon Saturday to Z wash, and dry (45 mins), Z6 (about 15 nimutes), Z2 (1 & 1/2 hours including waiting 40 minutes to dry), 15 minutes to wipe off Z2.

Results are spectacular. As I said, let's see how long the shine lasts.

Again, thanks to fastdriver, pblevine and Chris Parrish (who isn't on this board anymore) for their help.
This discussion has been closed.