Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    mattjettavr6mattjettavr6 Member Posts: 7
    Sounds like an inboard V6 boat motor doesn't it!?
    No worries.....just consider it a new (and hopefully) tolerable idiosyncracy of your new car. The reason it sounds this way is a combination of the warm air rerouting circuit off the exhaust manifold, as well as the catylatic converter and muffler design producing this sound while it's warming up. I kinda think it makes the car sound a little rough but because it only lasts for about a minute it is not a problem for me. Chugging? Gurgling is more of a word I would use to describe it. If the engine is truly running rough and "chugging" take it into the dealership and have them look at it. Good luck.
  • Options
    awhf2000awhf2000 Member Posts: 1
    Which car would you recommend base on passed problems and maintenance, the Jetta 4 cyl., the Jetta 4 cyl turbo, or the Honda Civil, 4 cyl.?

Base on what I've read, the Jetta continues to have power window problems, A/C problems and now alternator problems. Can anyone with a 1999 or 2000 Jetta having any maintenance problems?

I would really appreciate your response. The person buying a car has a limited budget and can not afford taking a car to the shop every 6 months for repairs.
  • Options
    bluejettabluejetta Member Posts: 272
    Don't blame you for being a bit skittish about buying a Jetta!! I bought mine BEFORE i read these forums and then thought I blew it. But, it seems a lot of problems were taken care of for the 2K1 models, but time will tell on that.

So far I have not had one problem, but we're still under 3K miles. We know several people with 1999, 2000 and 2001 models (Golf and Jetta) and I have yet to meet anyone personally that has had ANY major problems.

I what I have been reading here and on other forums the majority of the problems seem to be with the VR6 and the 1.8t's. Whether any of that if due to the user installing multiple aftermarket products or not, I don't know.

We have the 2.0 and it has plenty of power. We're not into racing Civic's, going to the drags, street racing or auto-crossing, so we're not going to slam it or add a super-charger, etc, etc, etc.

And our dealer has been awesome -- the few times we had it there: Once for undercoating and second for CD changer installation.

I am keeping a public record of my car at: http://www.members.home.net/2k1bluejetta/index.html

It's still short, but I will at least update every 30 days.
  • Options
    gladicheckedgladichecked Member Posts: 93
    Nice pics! I like that color, I see mostly black Jetta's around here with a few silver's mixed in. I was looking at the background and thought to myself, that looks like the Northwest. I was right...lol. I live and work in NC, but my company's corporate office is in Bothell. I spent six weeks training out there this summer and it's a beautiful area. I'm flying out there Monday for 2 weeks. How far is Vancouver from Bothell? If I see a blue Jetta I'll honk...lol.
  • Options
    Yup. God's country man. It's awesome. Bothell is way up north. Vancouver is right on the Columbia river by Portland.

The Blue Lagoon is a pretty rare animal. The only other one I have seen is when I went to the Seattle area for the Octobugfest show and saw a VR6 that belongs to a guy on a mail list I'm on.

BTW: My email address(es) are available here when you click on my name or on the website. ;-)
  • Options
    wonderwallwonderwall Member Posts: 126
    i have a 1997 jetta with a little over 41,000 mileson it and it's about due for an oil change. could i switch over to synthetic oil without worry?
  • Options
    wolfy99wolfy99 Member Posts: 2
    Well, this question is not about the "new" Jetta, so if anyone knows of a better place to post this, please let me know.

I've had my 1999 Jetta Wolfsburg since the fall of 1998 (just prior to the release of the new ones). I love it. But now I'm having trouble with the power windows.

While it was still under warranty, the right-rear window went down and got stuck in that position. The dealer fixed it right away - the regulator was "shot."

Last month, the right-front window became stuck in the 'up' position. Same problem with the regulator. I blew through the warranty miles last spring (I drive everywhere) so it cost me about $280.00 to repair w/parts & labor.

Over this past weekend, the same thing happened with the left-rear window! The car is in the dealer's shop right now. Also, the sunroof no longer closes with the "key-in-the-door" function, though the interior switch works just fine.

Though I drive a good amount, I do not place extra wear & tear on the windows & sunroof - for what it's worth.

My question for everyone out there is this: do I have any ground to stand upon for not paying full price for this repair? From my point of view, the car was built with faulty regulators. It just doesn't seem right. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • Options
    gregj777gregj777 Member Posts: 67
    Sputtering and rotten eggs is a serious problem? The VR6 is an awesome engine, powerful enough and refined, quirky in some respects but awesome. Took it on a mountain trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway Saturday and it was great heading up those hills. Don't get a VW if stuff like that bugs ya, get a Daewoo or something and be really careful driving to work and back. And leave the windows up! ;-)
  • Options
    pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    Be sure to also check out the Jetta topics in our other conferences - just use the Topic Search feature to get a list of them.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • Options
    Wonderwall: I would not hesitate to change over to synthetic even at 41K. I will be changing to Mobil 1 on my first oil change. When I saw a mechanic pouring Mobil 1 from the same bottle we buy in the stores into Al Unser's Indycar as I stood there and watched...Well that pretty much convinced me that Mobil 1 was going in my cars from then on.

Wolfy99: I would see what VWoA is willing to do. If a customer is nice and talks about how they love their car and want to buy a new VW for the next car...Sometimes they will be nice. Can't hurt to try. Even though there are tech bulletins and VW knows about this most public problem that their regulators suck, there are no recalls and VW is not obligated in any way to fix them for free after the warranty is up. Check for recalls and tech bulletins at: http://www.alldata.com/recall/make/Volkswagen.html Good luck.

ep7: Greg is right. The egg smell and cold sputtering is a nuance of the VR6 engine, though I don't recall many 2K1 owners complaining. Anyway, the egg smell is simply the car running a bit rich at that time. Toyotas have done the exact same thing for many years. I have a young 2.0 and have had no problems to date: http://www.members.home.net/2k1bluejetta/index.html

The VW is like most other European cars. Ferrari, Jaguar, BMW, etc. If you're not into a few nuances and the thought of tinkering with a car turns your blood cold then get a Honda, Nissan, Saturn, Daewoo, etc.
  • Options
    ep7ep7 Member Posts: 3
    thanks bluejetta and greg for replying...well the way other people described the problems they had with their VR6's made it sound nastily gross and horrible... i guess ill reconsider the VR6...i just want a perfect first car =]
  • Options
    Je vous en prix! I think you'll be happy with the VR6 if you get one, but like bluejetta said all of the available engines will work with this car, it's just a fun, tight car.
  • Options
    ep7 - let me know when you find that perfect car, I'm still looking myself. ;^)

bluejetta - flew into seatac today (boy are my arms tired...lol), got my rental car, and hopped onto the 405. No lie, within 3 miles I saw a Emerald Mica Pro-ES (that's what I drive) and a Blue Lagoon Jetta. I almost honked, but thought better of it...lol. I got a red Grand Am for a rental car...man am I gonna...oh well, no one buy a red Grand Am used from Avis. ;^)

wonderwall - check out the forum 3 down from this one. There is a lot of great information there on synthetic oil, using it with higher mileage, intervals to change it, etc. If you have changed the oil regularly I think switching at 41k will be fine. With some higher mileage engines, regular oil can actually seal possible leaks with deposits/sludge. When you use synthetic oil the detergents in it may clean the deposits and any leaks you didn't know you had may show up. I plan on switching to synthetic at my first oil change, which is 1k/1mo away.
  • Options
    T'wasnt me. I'm way down here in Vancouver. Have fun trashin' the Grand Am! ;-)
  • Options
    benegesseritbenegesserit Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Jetta Gls with the 2.0L engine. granted, I've only had it for 6 months, but I already but over 13K miles on it and so far, so good. Not one problem. I hope I didn't just jinx it.
  • Options
    mtb4mtb4 Member Posts: 3
    I currently do not have a volkswagen but I'm absolutly in love with the VW Jetta 1.8T and plan on buying one in March of 2001. Recently in a canadian newspaper their was an article about how volkswagens (1998 on) are burning abnormal amounts of oil. The advice was to check you oil level every 2 fills!!!Thats ridiculous. The article said every 1000 km will burn a quart of oil. In a new car I shouldn't have to worry about oil burning. Is anyone else out there experiencing this problem? Is this a valid concern?
  • Options
    I've heard the same thing and I do try to remember to check the oil regularly. I'm getting it down to about once every 2 weeks or so now. But it's never been short.
  • Options
    ep7ep7 Member Posts: 3
    [i live in a suburban area]i want the gls 2.0 but i dont like the fact that it accelerates so slowly....what do you guys think? i dont want people that drive behind me to get annoyed...or do u guys think that it provides a sufficient acceleration speed? thanks to those who have answered me...i appreciate it cuz i feel so stupid and young......haha..
  • Options
    I also heard of the oil usage "problem" but in the forums I read, some engines can burn some oil at break-in, but definitely NOT abnormal amounts. I have also heard of coolant usage, but again this rumor seems unfounded. There are soooo many disaster rumors surrounding the Jetta, I find it quite amusing really.

My 2.0 has used ZERO fluids at just under 3K...Well, except for gas and window-washer fluid. ;-)

Speaking of the 2.0....Lacks acceleration? No way. Go test drive one ep7. I am very happy with the power in my 2.0 and there sure ain't no one tailgatin' me! If I had it to do over again, I'd still get the 2.0. But, if you're into beating the pants off civic si's, then get the T or the VR6.

I've done mountain driving, highway driving at 85-100mph with no probs. So far the fastest was 110 with still plenty to go, but no reason to go faster, so that's that...
  • Options
    kevindiezkevindiez Member Posts: 5
    I'm in the market for a new vehicle. Last week my wife and I tried out a 2001 Jetta 1.8T vs. a 2001 Mazda 626. The Mazda was responsive and tight but seemed to have body roll when passing and stopping. The Jetta, although not as responsive with the 1.8T as the Mazda, seemed to handle much better than the 626 and not have body roll when passing and stopping. The dealer did not have a VR6 on the lot so I could not drive one. I really like the Jetta and am seriously considering ordering one. Is the VR6 the best way to go? Thanks- K.D.
  • Options
    "drive it like ya stole it"...got a new one...

"drive it like you are renting it"...;^)
  • Options
    ROFL! I love it!!!
  • Options
    hagsinpahagsinpa Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced problem with oil consumption??

I had oil changed at 5000 and before it got to 10000 miles the oil light went on. The car took two + quarts of oil (capacity is 4.7). Dealer told me it is normal to consume quart of oil per 1000 miles during the "break in period". He said that with aluminum block engines it is common for oil to be absorbed during the "break in Period".

This sounds like a lot of bull***. Has anyone else experienced this problem. And what can be done???
  • Options
    marentettemarentette Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a 2000 Jetta VR6 back in April and
    from about 5,000km(Oh yeah, I'm Canadian) to
    present (15,000km) I've experienced the dreaded
    rotten egg syndrome. I've brought the issue to the
    dealer's attention a number of times and they
    continue trying to convince me that it's the brand
    or octane level of fuel that I'm burning.

I've noticed that my tailpipe has been building up
    with black(carbon) soot which pushes me to believe
    that the engine is not burning efficiently and I
    am losing improperly burned fuel out of my
    tailpipe. Ive owned three vehicles before my Jetta
    and I've never had a problem with odour nor with
    black at the tailpipe.

Window regulators? My front/right window regulator failed on me just the other day. With just over 15,000km on the car(just broken in) and the window regulator has already failed? It sounds like this has been happening to quite a few other owners as well. Why are they holding back on recalling these pieces of crap regulators?

Sorry just venting ... no one should have to experience such problems with any brand new vehicle. So far I'm not impressed with the vehicle

"Driver's wanted" ... more like Suckers wanted!!!
  • Options
    sthugginssthuggins Member Posts: 13
    This is an update. I have a 2000 vr6 that has been in the shop about 10 times for some 60 days. I had the bad miss-fire problem along w/ a constant rotten egg smell. My dealer has refused to schedule my car for repairs for the past two months. They have just notified me that they are going to buy back my car. I agree that it's an awesome car to drive when it's not in the shop. Good luck!
  • Options
    jmolinajmolina Member Posts: 1
    I've had a 64 bug and 87 Jetta both great cars that would not stop going, thought I would buy another VW (99.5 Jetta GLS), what a mistake. Sure it looks good and has nice features, getting close to hitting that 24,000 mile mark and I'm dreading it. Why ? Well let me tell you what has been serviced on it so far: Cruise control unit, starter, battery, bushing for clutch pedal, rear middle seat belt, front window regulator, other front window regulator, both rear window regulators (on order, must be a hard to find part now a days), finally was able to convince the service dept. (by getting him in the car and not relying on what the tech said) that my shifter has a problem going in to 1st and reverse, going to look at that when the regulators arrive. All these problems happened at different intervals and has really dampered my enthusiasm for this once beloved car. Oh by the way if you live in a hot weather state how about the dripage from under the doors, some type of sound deadner (looks like wax), well anyway that's my story. In the process of buying a truck and putting up the Jetta for sale. By the way that lifter sounding noise you hear inside when the car idles is a purge valve, brought that up at my last service, I thought it was funny when I noticed that they (dealer)put 40wt oil this time around.
  • Options
  • Options
    bikersullybikersully Member Posts: 13
    I own a 97 Jette GS. The Jetta starts fine, but once I put it into gear it stalls when I let out the clutch. The car will restart fine. Any ideas what the problem could be? Also while the engine is running the check engin light is on.
  • Options
    oscarhalloscarhall Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at the 2001 Jetta GLX fully loaded and was really excited until I read all your comments. Now the 90 Honda Civic I have been driving doesn't sound so bad.
    Is owning a VW that horrible.
  • Options
    Yeah. Owning a VW sucks. Don't ever buy one. Buy only Hondas please.

;-)

Do some serious research oscarhall. Don't read one manufacturer's complaint forum and then decide from there because guess what? You read mostly complaints in a complaint forum.

Weird.
  • Options
    Take your car into an authorized VW service center. The check engine light means: Have engine checked.
  • Options
    bikersullybikersully Member Posts: 13
    DUHHH!!! I guess the oil lights means it needs oil. Some of us like to avoid the high cost of the authorized VW service centers. Being a former mechanic I do know how to turn a wrench or two. VWs are not my specialty. I was just wondering if any else had experienced this problem and what they did to resolve it. I am sure there are a few others that read this forum that know more about their car than to just take it to the dealer when the check engine light comes on. :-)
  • Options
    of today's engines and such if my check engine light was on I'd be making a beeline to the dealer precisely because I know NOTHING about the inner workings of the car and I wouldn't want to ignore it or tinker with it myself or take the advice of a backyard mechanic because neither myself nor such an independent advisor would be able to pay for the price of my car should damage happen from lack of attention to the warning! Whew did I say all that??? ;-)
  • Options
    All the VW guy has to do is to hook it up to his computer and the ECU will spit out a code as to the problem. Saves a lot of time and not all that much money for diagnosing the problem.

I do know, as obviously bikersully does too, about the inner workings of a car engine, but without the proper test equipment that is needed these days to do even the most little'est things, most car owners cannot perform anything more than the simplest repairs.

My monsoon radio needs to be "told" by the dealer (only) that it has a cd-changer attached! So just imagine the complexity of the engine 'codes'.

Todays cars are not inclined towards 'tinkering' like they were back in the 'old days' where the most complicated thing on a car was an alternator. And everyone freaked when they came out with the evil PCV valve.

Usually check engine lights on a car of that age mean something has gone awry with some O2 sensor or some other smog device. That would also explain the hesitation. Your engine can't breathe!
  • Options
    lawrence10lawrence10 Member Posts: 6
    They are not all what they say they are
  • Options
    wolfy99wolfy99 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to "bluejetta" for the advice and to others who responded about the windows. Glad I'm not alone.

I have yet to call VWoA, but I'll post again when I do. I only now just got my car back from the dealer after 5 days. They made several communication mistakes with me, and then they ordered a part that fits the "new" Jetta, not my "old" 99. They did take some off the final cost to compensate.

After driving my wife's 1996 Saturn SL on & off this week, it's glorious to be driving my Jetta once again. Yep, some nitty gritty problems with technical things, but the joy of driving this car makes up for most of that. Maybe that will help those trying to decide between a Jetta and a Japanese imposter!
  • Options
    Yo. lawrence10, where would one read this article at?

wolfy10: Good to hear they are taking care of you. I was pretty sure that the window regulator problem had been resolved with the 2k1's, but not 100%. Thanks for clearing up that issue.
  • Options
    carlookincarlookin Member Posts: 1
    We are thinking about buying a 2001 Jetta and
    I have just heard that the repair costs are about twice that of other cars. Is this true? Also, do you use regular unleaded gas in a Jetta.
  • Options
    Hmmm. That's a new one! ;-) No. The costs for repairing a Jetta are no more than any other modern car.

As for fuel: The 1.8T requires 91 octane, but some people have reported okay performance with no knocking. Most people just bite the bullet and use premium. For the VR6, it will run okay on regular, but performance will be noticeable with premium. The 2.0L does just fine on regular.
  • Options
    I haven't heard anything negative about repair costs either from individuals or in any of the forums. My dealer has the $19.95 oil change (I had one at 15K which wasn't covered free since it isn't scheduled) so that wasn't too much of a days work. I remember when I had my Saab in for an oil change the dealer also sold Jags, and this lady was in there for her scheduled maintenance, I overheard him tell her it would be something like $1200. Now that's high maintenance.
  • Options
    jettaburdjettaburd Member Posts: 1
    Hi..
    I've had my 2001 Jetta 1.8T with an auto tranny for exactly one week..last night, as I was driving, my hood started smoking..the RPM's were extremely high, and the car ( felt like) it was shifting between 1st and 2nd gears..it was lurching every 30 feet or so... I pulled over, tried to put the car in reverse to park and call for help..My car WOULD NOT go in REVERSE..This is a BRAND NEW car with 238 miles on it..It took 2 hours for VW roadside assistance to come tow me..THANK goodness I went for the 5 year/50k mi warranty..I will find out tomorrow what the problem is, as today is Sunday and the repair dept is not open..JUST MY LUCK! Has anyone else had probs with the auto transmissions in the 2001's???
  • Options
    Man! That pretty much sucks. I also have a 2001 auto trans, but have had no problems (about 2400 miles). I have also not read of any serious trans problems. Please keep us informed on the results.
  • Options
    sliksterslikster Member Posts: 5
    Last night a drive around town just like i usally drive...btw i have a silver, 2000 vw jetta vr6 with auto tran...i stopped at starbucks to meet my friend and me and her had coffee and we started to leave and i turned on the ignition and i noticed that the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON!!!
    i was very surprised and didn't knwo what that was for and i was goign HAYWIRE and didn't knwo what to do cuz i don't want to see that ever in my car you know WHO DOES
    i am takign it to the dealer tom. to get it checked out, i check the oil and it was fine so i have no idea what it could be
    i have exactly 23,169 miles on my car now...so this is DEF. NOT GOOD
    has this happend to anyone else?
    can someone tell me what this could be?
    i will tell you tom. ONCE I FIND OUT WHAT IT IS...and keep you guys posted

SunnY
  • Options
    Just have the dealer check it. It's probably some cranky little smog device that's acting up. Unless the light is blinking, just drive as normal until the dealer can look at it.

You car will not explode on you! ;-) At least you're still under warranty, so you're covered.
  • Options
    ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    The Jetta is targeted as an economical way for ppl to buy a relatively nice European car. There is no doubt that the interior is very nice for it's class. However because of that VW has to cut costs on other areas. As a result the internals of the car suffers. It's almost equivalent to a Domestic Cavalier/Sunbird. It's an affordable way for regular ppl like us who cannot afford a BMW to own a decent looking European car.
  • Options
    Ramon!! Not to pick an argument or anything but please tell us on what factual basis can you back up such a claim? Methinks you should say seven Hail Jettas and see your salesperson immediately! ;-)
  • Options
    NovemberNovember Member Posts: 21
    Just wondered if anyone has pulled off or damaged bumpers when parking in lots with the cement stops.

No flames or parking lectures please--just an informal survey.
  • Options
    ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    Hail Jetta! Hail Jetta! Hail Jetta! Hail Jetta! Hail Jetta! Hail Jetta! Hail Jetta!

hehehehe.... It's an observation sir. Alot of ppl own jettas. Why? Cus they look nice and for a relatively low $ you can get one which interiors and exteriors are better than other competitors. That's what buyers care. Alot of ppl don't know the how sucky the internal parts are. But hey if it impresses their Jones who has say a Corolla then works for them right? But little do they know, these poor sods who bought the gleaming Jetta ended up getting alot of headaches as it breaks down within weeks while the Jones' corolla keep putting along. My point is that VW made the Jetta to be accesible by many with it's relatively low price compared to other european cars but costs has to be cut somewhere. I am not saying the ppl who buys Jettas are stupid or idiot. No by no means I am saying it. I love the car. But that's my observation.
  • Options
    Things must have gotten boring over there in the Rambler Classic forum eh, ramon?

Sheesh.