Options

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Consider yourself lucky that you have ony ONE O2 sensor

It doesn't. Every car and light truck sold in the US since 1996 is OBD II compliant and has at least one pre-cat O2 sensor for closed loop operation and one post-cat O2 sensor to monitor catalyst efficiency.
  • Options
    jskipjskip Member Posts: 1
    I am shopping for a used car for my son. He really likes the Jetta (new body style). I hear differing opinions from people as to the Jetta's reliability.

Two used car dealers (who had Jettas to sell) told me to stay away from them.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks
  • Options
    frodinkfrodink Member Posts: 1
    Last night when I went to open my 97 Jetta passenger side and/or driver side door, my key simply will not turn, leaving the doors stuck and locked shut. The alarm light is still blinking, so I am assuming the battery has not gone out. I tried my husband's key and that does not work either. The trunk still opens fine. What is going on??? My car is stuck parked on the street! Please help! Thank you!
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone fitted a wide ratio gearbox to their Jetta/Vento? Running a 1994 1.8 GL. One great little car for town use, but on the motorway (freeway)it rev's uncomfortably high. It does 22mph per 1000revs in 5th gear. The fuel consumption is ok at 39mpg (UK gals)It would be nicer to get 28+mph at 1000rpm, also in the UK fuel is now $7.50 per gallon (UK gal)
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Member Posts: 2
    I had the same with 94 Jetta. There is a small link that connects from the keyway to the lock. Unbelievable as it seems both mine broke at the same time, driver and passenger door. I did wonder if someone had tried to force an entry. The only way in is via the trunk and reach the pull up button. Replacing the parts is not expensive, just a pain in the butt to fit, 30mins each side and the parts were less than $2.
    Go on pull the trunk and dive in........good luck
  • Options
    m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Try this... ask the seller if they would, in writing guarantee the engine not to consume more than one quart of oil per 3,000 miles, and replace it if it does so. Consumer Reports for 2005 is out, so take a look at those stats for the year in question. Also, on the Net is JD Powers, and you can look up say 2000 or 2001 model year to see how the reliability is for the mechanical. Look into electrical quality too. Edmunds here is great for testing cars, and has some opions as to Jetta quality. I test drove a 2005 and it has a sold feel to it, and the engine was OK, but a bit underpowered. The manual tranny and shifter is so-so; seen better, and have about the best in my Miata. Good luck to ya, and do some homework before buying a Jetta. It has some good points and well....

Loren
  • Options
    tdidawgtdidawg Member Posts: 8
    I had a 97 Jetta Gl sedan that did the same thing. I took it to the dealer and was given about $800 estimate to fix it. Seems it is a common problem in late 90s Jettas (see Consumer Reports). I then took it to a non-dealer mechanic who specializes in VWs. He gave me the same price.

I chose to not get it fixed and sold the 97 last year (leveling with the new owner about the problem). I loved the car, too. I got 8 good years out if it. I bought a Jetta TDI wagon to replace it and love it even more.
  • Options
    flacoflaco Member Posts: 4
    Hi:

Does anyone know if the 2001jetta wheel well will hold a 215/60 R15 on the original jetta wheels, without rubbing against the sides when turning?

Or... what's the maximum tire width that such model will hold?

Thank's for your time...
  • Options
    pruzinkpruzink Member Posts: 112
    FYI, I have seen these vent louvers being sold on Ebay pretty cheap. I'm pretty sure they just pop in and out with a little prying from a small screwdriver.
  • Options
    goldinggolding Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking through the discussions and can't find anything on replacing the headlight bulbs yourself for the 2002 jetta. My driver side light went out yesterday and I can't drop the car until next week. I can't stay in at night so I want to do it myself. I've had the problem with having to replace the brake light bulbs and they were easy to do. But this is a whole different animal. Any advice will be helpful.
  • Options
    jlawton3jlawton3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 03 tdi jetta wagon with standard monsoon premium radio, am,fm,cd,tape,.
    shortly after getting it the am reception went away, took back to dealer they replaced atenna base seemed to solve problem. 10 months later the problem is back, parked under hi voltage power lines after which I had no am reception unless im close to a radio tower.
    I have vw technical bulletin 91-99-11 on how to determine if FERN is on or off, but that procedure does not work on this radio, balance knob does not push in.

Does anyone know of a procedure for determining if the FERN is on or off on the standard double high monsoon radios, before I purchase another antenna base.
    Ive tried removing the fuse but that did not fix problem.
    Is there a known problem with EMF from hi voltage power lines blowing out the amplifier base antenna unit.

thanks
    snapper
  • Options
    vivefutbolvivefutbol Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 2003 Wolfsburg w/ 19000 miles. Within the first week, I have started to hear a clicking noise w/ the brake pedal. It sounds like the brake pedal takes a second or two to come back to its original position after being pressed.
    I have taken it into the dealer and they are telling me that this noise is normal.
    I am a little concerned since it involves the brakes. Anyone else have this issue? Any advice will be helpful.
    Thanks
  • Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Replacing headlight bulb is not a big deal. If you have any mechanical aptitude, then you can handle it yourself.

Before you spend any $$ for a new bulb, go ahead and try to get the bad bulb out. If successful, then read the number on the bulb (perhaps an H7 bulb?) and put it back in.

If you were successful in getting to the bulb and reading the number off of it, then you will have no troubles doing it agian. It should take less than 5 minutes to replace a headlight bulb.
  • Options
    600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    That clicking noise and pulsating sound is the ABS braking in operation. ABS is designed to modulate braking pressure (brake and release) multiple times a second to prevent the brakes from locking up. That pulsating means the ABS is resetting the brakes back to its original position. I have a 2003 Wolfsburg that does the same thing. At 45K now, the car has had absolutely no problems...
  • Options
    ek25ek25 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same exact vehicle with the exact same problem. It is currently in the shop where a friend is looking at it because the dealership has tried several times to rip me off. I thought it was the cold weather as well, but since it has warmed up a bit, it continued to shake and stall. Back in December I had my computer reprogrammed, and the mass airflow sensor changed (in which they tried to charge me $200 for, but but fyi that this is under warranty for up to 7 years). This time around I was informed that there is a leak somewhere in the throttle body and the secondary air pump is broken.
  • Options
    chuckt1chuckt1 Member Posts: 1
    I can't find the fuse for the cigarette lighter in my 1997 Jetta GLS. The manual says it is located above the relays, but I don't know what this means. It is not located in the main fuse box. Can anybody help?
  • Options
    ddamanddaman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 jetta VR6. The engine is over reving on start up. It revs high, then low, then high goes low and stall out. Any ideas what the problem is.

ddaman
  • Options
    jamieb131jamieb131 Member Posts: 1
    I test drove a 2005 Jetta GLS (old body style) today. I have wanted a Jetta forever and am finally in a position to buy one. I started doing research here and all I get is negativity, complaints and problems, although these seem to be with older models. Does anyone know anything specific about the 2005? I am looking to purchase in the next few days so any quick advice would be appreciated.
  • Options
    bob1943bob1943 Member Posts: 1
    My 96 GLX with 106000 miles (Mobil 1 since first oil change)runs great and burns 1/2 qt between changes ( every 3500 miles). It has just developed strange starting behavior. When I depressed the clutch and turned key to start nothing happened but a strange humming noise came from engine. I took out key, sound continued. I tries repeatedly to depress clutch and start engine. Nothing happened but noise continued. I opened hood and listened to noise from the cold engine. The fan was not turning. It was like a pump circulating coolant through the engine. This continued for about 12 minutes and then stopped. I tried to start engine and it started immediately.
    This has happened twice in the last week. My local mechanic could not duplicate it and is baffled. I put in a new starter 3 months ago. Car has always started . Can anyone give me suggestions? Your help is appreciated.
  • Options
    From your description, it sure sounds as if the starter is spinning but not engauging the gears to the engine.

I would bet you did not put a new starter in it. Most replacement starters and alternaors are REBUILT. (somone in the past removed it as a bad component from their engine.)
  • Options
    Just bought the car less than 2 weeks ago, took it in yesterday to get the brakes checked and a new fuse put in for the front seat warmers.
    Woke up today to a completely dead car!!!..battery seems to be completely dead, no noise at all while trying to start the car. Checked everything, NOTHING was left on overnight..
    Anyone else experience a dead battery, without leaving anything on?

Please advice !!
  • Options
    If memory serves me correctly - the front seat warmers only come with the full leather interior package - and unless this car was a special-order automobile, the 2003 Wolfsburg came standard with a cloth interior - like the one that I drive. The full leather interior is standard on the GLX VR6 and an option on the GLS 1.8T.

That being said, outside of a short somewhere in the seat, elsewhere in the electrical system, an incorrect fuse (using a 20 amp fuse instead of a recommended 15 amp fuse in that particular circuit, for example), a bad/malfunctioning voltage regulator (located on the back of the alternator), or a bad battery (no longer able to hold a charge), I can't think of anything else that might have caused your battery to drain.

The first thing I would do is have the battery and the charging system (alternator) tested (If the car is out of warranty, I would take it to an automotive place other than the dealer - like Sears, etc.) - then proceed from there.
  • Options
    I have cloth interiors w/ heated front seats, so it must have been a special order.
    Still under factory warranty, only 19300 miles!! thanks for the advice..will follow up at the dealer.
  • Options
    I hope they're able to solve the electrical problem for you. My gut feeling is that it was a bad battery. My 2003 Wolfsburg just turned 47,000 miles with absolutely no problems.

Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    tvadtdtvadtd Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 99 Jetta and have had numerous problems with Am reception. Dealer has no clue. VERY Frustrating
  • Options
    Apparently, the passenger side seat warmer was on all night, even though the switch for the heated seats was turned off and the car was parked.
    So, that drained the battery, b/c they pulled the fuse out and this morn', the car started up just fine.
  • Options
    OUCH! - It sure would've been nice if there was some sort of warning beep (after the ignition key has been removed) or something - just like the warning sound when the parking lights have been left on....
  • Options
    gj101gj101 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

Here is my problem:
    I have a 1997 Jetta L4 with about 80000 miles.
    Had a regular service and oil change done.
    1000 miles past that, I have white deposits on the oil filler cap (water in the oil) and lots of water in the crankcase ventilation parts (maybe 1/2 cup) and more of the white 'mayonnaise'.
    It's clear water, not coolant. I have not lost any volume of the coolant fluid. The air intake filter is dry.
    Does anyone have a clue where this water could be coming from?
    Thanks for any help!
  • Options
    gabby3gabby3 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a used VW Jetta. It stopped working on the highway. Had it towed. I was told it was a bad ignition coil...it was replaced but still won't start. I was then told the ignition coil took out the ECM. New ECM and still doesnt work. Can anyone tell me whats going on. I have already spent more then I have wanted to. I have had the car 7 days and 4 of them have been in the shop.
  • Options
    emmylyynemmylyyn Member Posts: 3
    I finally made it back to Auto Zone, here are the code numbers,

P0135 Bank 1 Sensor 1 no activity
    P0134

P0442 Small EMC leak

you think I still need a new o2 sensor?
    thanks for the help!
  • Options
    alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    P0134 O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
    P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
    P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

The first two codes both relate to the upstream O2 sensor but for different electrical circuits, one for the built-in heater and one for no signal return. Check first for a wiring harness connector unseated, or the harness melted to the exhaust manifold. If ok, probably time to replace the sensor.

Third code is for a small leak in the EVAP system, most often caused by a gas cap which isn't sealing properly (assuming you don't refuel it with the engine running). Make sure there's no corrosion on the filler neck and that the rubber seal on the cap's ok. If it looks good, probably time for a gas cap.
  • Options
    Look for a stuck relay. There should be a relay that "disables" the power to the heated seats when the ignition switch is OFF.
  • Options
    tiffstertiffster Member Posts: 1
    Hi...
    I have a 2001 Jetta GLS and today while i was driving the "EPC" sign came up on the odometer and on the speedometer side there is a sign that looks like this: there's a triangle with an exclamation mark in the middle and an arrow that goes in the shape of a circle around the triangle. Does anyone know what this means?? Please help cause i have nooo idea and i am scared to drive my car!! THANKS! =)
  • Options
    dstevens1dstevens1 Member Posts: 2
    The new 2.5 Jetta, if that is what your talking about. It looks great. But why buy a car Consumer Reports has not recommended for something like the last seven years? I had the 2000 Vr-6 and it was sensor/electronic nightmare. Take some time and wait to see how the reviews are. Already reviews just on the drive don't appear to be as good as the 99-05 Jettas. May I remind you they are made in MEXICO--long known for their quality--NO.
  • Options
    dstevens1dstevens1 Member Posts: 2
    Those seats are not suppose to work unless the ignition is on.
  • Options
    whitrh01whitrh01 Member Posts: 1
    jamieb131,

I understand what you've bee hearing. I had a 2002 GLS 1.8T that was a mess - small things always going wrong. HOWEVER, last spring I got a 2004 GLS 1.8T and it has been EXCELLENT! I've only had a one warrranty item to address and it was insignficant. I love my current jetta and it has been solid! I don't think there's any differnce between the '05 and mine...just a couple of months between production. Just take a good look at what you're going to get.
  • Options
    eroyereroyer Member Posts: 1
    I am having troubles with my car being dependable in the rain/slush and carwashes. I have tried to fix this thing so many times and I am way frustrated. This has been an on going problem that seems to come and go. So here is what I have done to try and fix it.

I replaced the spark plug wires and spark plugs 2 weeks ago.
    I replaced the distributor cap 6 mos ago. I sealed the cap down with silicone. Now, the car didn't die last week when I drove in the rain but today I went to the carwash and it died half-way through the washing. I got it started but then it died again about 2.5 miles later. I am not sure how to troubleshoot this problem. Please help!!
  • Options
    pusterracingpusterracing Member Posts: 186
    I have an '04 GLS TDI and I have not had a single problem with it in my one year of ownership. I have been really really pleased with the car. I too was leary about purchaseing a Volkswagen after reading some reviews, but I had one friend with a 99 GTI that has had 0 problems out of it, and he bought it used, and I have another friend with an 02 Jetta TDI with 0 problems. She bought it new and currently has 64K miles on it and not one problem. I wanted a diesel and when I bought mine, the 1.9L diesel was the only one on the market (The Passat was still a month away as was the E320). I enjoy my Jetta so much that last month I purchased an '05 Passat GLS TDI (did not trade, just bought). So that should tell you how much wieght I put on some of the complaints.

Most people who have their vehicles and have zero problems generally don't log on to forums. It is the ones who are looking for answers or are looking to complain that log on.

-PR-

03 Ford F350 SuperCrew KingRanch 6.0L Diesel
    04 VW Jetta GLS TDI
    05 VW Passat GLS TDI
  • Options
    Easy to troubleshoot.

1)Open hood
    2)Start engine
    3)use spray bottle to spritz water on igintion components until engine dies

You have isolated the problem within 10 minutes.
  • Options
    The 2 most common cause for "EPC" light is
    1)MAF sensor (Mass AirFlow)
    2)ECT sensor (Engine CoolantTemparture)

MAF costs over $100
    ECT price is about $30 (newer design is green in color)

Of course, the CORRECT way to isolate the problem is with VAG-COM.
    http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/

The VAG-COM emulates the dealers shop computer using your laptop. It can do everything the dealers shop computer can do.
  • Options
    softearssoftears Member Posts: 1
    What's the best way to check to sunroof motor? It won't work at all now. Before it worked when it wanted too. It's a 97 Jetta. Also I noticed a Jetta just like mine with the back window tapped up. My window fell in the door. Is this a common problem that VW should be fixing? Trying to figure out how it works. I pulled it apart to take a look and found a small white plastic piece that looks like is should stop the window from falling to the bottom of the door. Where does it go? It does not look broken. One last thing the O2 sensor, the one after the converter has gone. Why so expensive ($116)? I was told if you know how to wire them you can do it for $30, I wish I had asked more questions about that. Other than gas what other damages should I expect if I let it go for a while?
  • Options
    The "falling window" you describe was common for several years. It is know as the "window regulator" problem. There was a TSB (NOT THE SAME AS A RECALL!) in which VW was replacing all of the ones that were reported to them. You may be too late to get a free replacement.

As for the O2 sensor, if it is bad, just replace it. A 1997 vehicle has seen a lot of use and should be EXPECTED to require some attention.

To answer your last question: If a "while" is just a couple weeks, then dont worry about it... but it may eventually hurt the catalytic converter or other O2 sensor.
  • Options
    rockhoundrockhound Member Posts: 2
    The rear cupholder in my wife's 95 jetta is busted and I need to replace. There is nothing on this in my Haynes Manual and I cannot find the fasteners holding it in.

Is there somebody out there with experience in this who could offer me a step-by-step on removal and installation?
  • Options
    ryanjetta99ryanjetta99 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 1/2 jetta with an automatic transmission. Recently, it has been "jumping" when I shift from park or reverse into drive from a complete standstill. It hasn't been a real problem or very noticable until the other day. I was backing out of a parking space and stopped completely. I put the car in Drive and the engine reved, but i began rolling backwards down a small hill. I put the car in Park, and tried again with the same results. It felt as though the trans. was not catching first gear. Eventually, after several tries, I turned the car off and back on and tried again and it went smoothly. I have never had a problem with it slipping in any other gear other than first.
  • Options
    jimtasticjimtastic Member Posts: 3
    my 2000 did this also. for me, a temperature sensor went bad so the car thinks it's hot then cold and adjusts fuel intake accordingly. this usually results in flooding which will stall and sometimes runs rough. cost me about 300 bux to fix.
  • Options
    i have a 2000 jetta gl that likes to make a clicking noise when braking. it's not the typical abs braking noise cuz i know what that sounds like. about 1/3 of the time immediately when i hit the brakes, there is a single click/ping that comes from the front of the car regardless of the pre-braking speed. i took one of the guys at the vw service department for a ride but they couldn't tell what it was. and now also i think the transmission is acting funny since it likes to make a rattling/grinding noise for a split second when i put it in reverse and then move backwards. i'm not sure that these two problems are related... if anyone has any input here, i'd greatly appreciate it.
  • Options
    joudifouljoudifoul Member Posts: 3
    My question is a follow up on a Aug2003 forum on VW coil packs recall. I have a Jetta VR6 GLX 2001 who is in need now of a 4th coil pack. The VR6 GLX has the 4 coils integrated in one box ignition system not the 4 (or 6) individual coils. I just learned by talking to my dealer that this "coil pack" is not covered by the VW recall, only the individual coils systems are. Is this right? Since I've been changing this coil more often than my tires I would have though this pack was recognize has a problem as well. Anybody has input on this?
  • Options
    i've seen this with my 2000 with 75k miles on it and it's been doing this since i had a few thousand miles on it, but only under the oil cap and nowhere else. guys at the oil change place told me this happens if you don't let your car warm up long enough if the weather's cold. more than likely -- especially if you live in an area of the country with cool/cold weather part of the year, you will notice this more during cold months -- it's just condensation from the outside air accumulating under the cap as your engine cools down. if this is something that just began recently, you could have water in your fuel line. if so, i would head down to the local auto parts store and pick up some fuel treatment (to remove water) and see if this helps. and don't neglect to get your oil changed often.
  • Options
    mystic0177mystic0177 Member Posts: 1
    check for vacum leaks.
  • Options
    lionellionel Member Posts: 1
    my epc light and the traction control light (the circle with the triangle in it and the exclamation mark in it) came on at the same time. Then a little later the check engine light came on. oh yeah i have a jetta vr6 2001. Please help.