Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Dealers & Pricing

Comments

• Options
    beamer5beamer5 Member Posts: 1
    I have been trying to decide on what car to by, between the two I really like the GTI, however I read that 2001, or 2002 Subaru is coming out with a 200 Hp+ model, and I also read that the late 2000 GTi's will have a sport spension, but Im not siure if it is on the vr6. Idf anyone has information on this please respone thanks.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The turbos should be out next year, good for 230hp or so. No offense to VW fans, but it'll smoke the GTI easily.

The VR6 engine is torquey, but it's a FWD car, so you're gonna have torque steer no matter how you look at it. It's also an open differential, so traction is only OK, and the GTIs are notoriously undersuspended.

It's faster, no question, though fuel economy isn't a strength. VW seats are nice, and the interior is upscale. Price can be high, so consider the 1.8T model too.

I'd say the opposite about current Imprezas. Their strength lies in neutral handling, grip, and well balanced suspension. The chassis is clearly built to handle more power, and handle as much as 320hp in other markets.

The 2.5l engine is certainly adequate, but the traction AWD offers actually hurts acceleration launches because it doesn't allow much wheelspin.

Nothing the turbo won't address, though. That should come in around mid 20's, close to the GTI VR6. Get in line, though, they're going to sell out in a week.

-juice
  • Options
    mcj13mcj13 Member Posts: 85
    I just paid for my car, ouch -- and I still don't own it, eeks!

But I'm sure that I'll be happy with it.

Mary
  • Options
    Keep us posted?

I'm sure it'll work out fine.

-juice
  • Options
    booterbooter Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info, Juice. Have searched the state (via the subaru site's dealers list) for the model I'm looking for and it looks like we'll be sending off a few emails. Not that many around so this might get interesting.

Thanks again, Theresa
  • Options
    luckyrollover1luckyrollover1 Member Posts: 14
    we just got home from our little 128 mile one way trip to a dealer. he had what i wanted in a nice color we tested it twice looked it over 3 times then went in to talk price. he wouldn't budge. i had all my paperwork with me knew the invoice and what i wanted to pay and he would not budge. he mentioned twice about how far we had come.. well all subaru dealers are at least an hour away from me. back to the drawing board but at least i don't need it asap.

Mary Ann
  • Options
    booterbooter Member Posts: 3
    Mary Ann,

Sounds like you and I met the same dealer! Like hubby says, there are more dealers out there. I'll post how the "online purchase" goes.

Luck,

Theresa
  • Options
    Those guys don't deserve your business anyway. Better luck at the next one.

Try to take a price quote that you can use as leverage. Better yet, just go with the buying service.

-juice
  • Options
    deadboltdeadbolt Member Posts: 6
    , I am new to this board, but have been a member of the North American Impreza Owners Club for a few months now. I will go ahead and admit that I work for a Subaru dealership (please don't throw anything) :)

I am rather curious as to how important price is to most of the members here. I realize that everyone is always looking for the best deal possible, but I had an interesting experience as of late.

I had been working with a young lady on a new Forester L model (at the time we had 14 in stock.) We have a very strict policy about keeping customers happy, and trying in every possible way to earn their business. This young lady and I had a wonderful chat about the cars, I showed her my own 2.5 RS and we talked a bit about it. I firmly believe that Subaru is one of the best cars built on the road today, (since I have owned 6 of them I guess I should huh? :) ) I told her all about the company, their vehicles, my dealership, and my own experiences with Subies.

We talked for quite a bit after we had negotiated price, and she left with the promise of returning the next day to pick up the car. (I had told her that I would price her the vehicle at $225 over invoice, which she seemed very happy with.)

The next morning, I pulled the car into our cleanup shop and had a complete new car detail done, wax job and all. By the end of the day she had not showed up so I called her to see if she was OK.

Two days later she came pulling into our dealership in a new 01 Forester L. The car was dirty, and she looked very upset. When she came in I talked with her for a few minutes and found out that she had driven over an hour away the next day to another Subaru dealership. They sold her the car at $200 over invoice (yes they beat me by $25.) She signed a buyers order/agreement to purchase. They left her waiting in the showroom for 2 hours before anyone said anything else to her, took her into a room with the finance manager who then told her the bottom line numbers. When the numbers came out to be $274 more than the numbers I had given her she protested but the manager told her that was because of the $398 dealer doc fee that she had signed agreeing to pay. She went ahead and completed all her paperwork, the finance manager then handed her the tag, books, and extra keys and told her to have a good day.

She did not get the car cleaned up, had to put on her own tag, and had no-one explain any of the books or warranty to her. When she came in to talk with me about the deal she told me that she regretted even stepping into that dealership, let alone not buying from my store.

Since this ordeal, the young lady has sent 3 referrals to me instead of the dealership that she purchased from, leading me to believe that she was telling me the truth. However, this was the second time that a situation similar to this has happened to me and I am very curious as to how much of a discount do most people think is worth getting treated poorly? Also, I had read a review of the automobile dealership industry by its customers (courtesy of JD Power), and it showed that in all things considered when purchasing a new vehicle, that price was #3 on the most important list. I have been in the business for quite a few years now, and have noticed as of late, an alarming trend towards people choosing to do business with places that do not treat them fairly, simply for a few dollars more of a discount.

My apologies for the length of this post, and my thanks for any insight into the subject.

Sidenote: At the time of writing this, my customer satisfaction scores are far above the average for my region, should I focus more on simply getting the deal than concentrating on keeping customers happy?
  • Options
    yellowbikedonyellowbikedon Member Posts: 228
    Jerry,

I'm on my third Subaru and my wife also drives one ('97 Impreza). I trade with a dealership about 45 minutes away, passing up the local one (5 minutes from home) and another one about 30 minutes away. The reasons are simple: my wife and I are treated with respect and courtesy. This goes from management, sales and to service. The dealership (Libertyville Subaru in Libertyville, IL) sells about 40 units monthly in addition to five other makes. They truly know Subaru, like the car, and take care to make sure customers know they are important!

I have been discussing purchase of a 2001 H6 and have been assured of a FAIR price, one that allows me to smile and the dealership to show a profit. I know I can do several hundred better at one or two of the other dealerships (11 located in the greater Chicagoland area) but I value honesty, trust and personal attention above price.

I have been in sales all my life and know there are always people who will sell you out for a nickel. So be it. When you are FAIR, you'll earn the confidence of customers and the referrals will more than compensate for the few deals you loose. I have referred five additional Subaru purchases to Liberty Subaru, have never accepted any compensation (other than the free wash they offer to all customers) and believe I have friends who will be there when my wife or I truly need them!

Hope this long discourse is helpful and responsive!

Don
  • Options
    iscottsiscotts Member Posts: 28
    deadbolt,

I am recent member of the Subaru family, and coincidentally, my purchase was at Libertyville Subaru. I walked out of there after my first visit with a written, fair offer. They did not pressure me into BUYING then, nor did they disparage competing cars or dealers.

I'm sure they knew that I could have EASILY walked in to another dealer and used the quote as leverage to save a hundred or more dollars, but I didn't. Had I done so, I believe that would have been as "low" as all of those stereotypical (but real) dealers who screw their customers with every trick in the book.

Perhaps as a backlash to the dodgy dealers of old, some buyers nowadays treat it as a battle, determined to give the dealer the smallest profit possible. The woman who bought her Forester elsewhere was playing that game.

I bought the car from them. They didn't try to sell me anything add-on crap, it didn't even come up. They gave me a good price, and I gave them a decent profit. Maybe I was lucky to work with such a dealer, but I hope not. I hope we're moving to a time where informed consumers and dealers can take car buying off of the list of things people fear most - I think it comes in just after "speaking in public" but before "dying!"

- Martin
  • Options
    Thanks Don & Martin for the replies. You brought out some very interesting points and I appreciate the insight. I personally had always thought that price was a bit secondary to service, and was beginning to question if there were not that many people who thought the same. Thanks again for the opinions! :)
  • Options
    Hi,

After reading all your excellent contributions for weeks and test driving a 2000 Outback (and a couple of competing cars), I am ready to ask for prices. Unfortunately, there is virtually no info to be found on buying experiences in Texas. The Outback is just not as popular as, say, a Ford 150, probably because a gun-rack is not a standard feature in the Subarus :).

I live in Dallas where we have five dealers in the Metroplex. Are there any rebates at the moment, what is the advertisement fee (if any), anything special about sales tax, how much above/below invoice, etc. ? Since this will be my first new car buy, I'd appreciate all help I can get to avoid any traps.

Thanks very much in advance. Mischa
  • Options
    Jerry: I feel that as long as you're in the same price ball park, you'll earn the repeat business, while the other dealer will earn a single sale, never to hear from that customer again.

I bought from Farrish Subaru in Fairfax, VA, and the sales experience was a nightmare. The model I wanted was hard to find (5 speed Forester early on), and the price was significantly lower at the time, so I bought it there anyway. I just had to take a shower when I got home, you know?

However, since then, the supply has improved and I've sent references to a different dealer, which happens to be a no-haggle dealer with emphasis on service. My cousin bought her '99 Outback there, and my dad is buying his 2000 Outback Limited there next month. Guess who referred them both?

So Farrish lost 2 easy sales. At least, actually.

Not surprisingly, I've also peeled off the Farrish sticker from the back of my Forester.

-juice

PS Nice handle, and any i-Clubber is welcome here, particularly if they autoX
  • Options
    going to test another ob ltd 5 spd. the salesman let it slip the car has been there 3 weeks, can i use this to lower the invoice by asking for 2/3 of the holdback? i have all figures ready except i need to know if this tactic will work. of course i will check out the service area first. that is an important point for me.

mary ann
  • Options
    That's a bit optimistic. The holdback is really the only thing to have to cover their costs. Aim for invoice, minus the 0-$500 incentive.

Perhaps our new dealer friend knows where the regional incentive applies?

-juice
  • Options
    Sorry to learn you weren't successful in finding the Outback at your price. I too think you are too optimistic regarding sharing holdback dollars especially as Outbacks are not that plentiful. Remember, a dealer who sells with some volume will want to have approximately a 60 day supply of vehicles on hand. How much do you feel is a reasonable profit for the dealer to make, taking into account his finance charges for floor plan, preparation of the car for delivery, advertising, etc? Are you sure regional incentives apply to the mid-west region on Outbacks?

Paying a few dollars more to a dealer with whom you have a rapport and one whom you feel will properly prepare your vehicle and will assist you when and if problems occur is cheap insurance!

Good luck in your search.

Don
  • Options
    is what i aim for. i tried your favorite place don, even mentioned your name. the car was scratched and they would not deal. i gave them a price 3% over invoice which is fair but balked at paying the full advertising fee. wednesday i'll try a dealer in indiana. no i don't think the incentives apply here. 2000 ob ltd with a stick and i don't care about alot of fancy options. i feel the highest i can go is 25000 all included before the tax. i can only keep trying.
    btw don, i did a search on your name on the net for a phone number, tried calling it and got no answer. if it's not you ok. i just wanted to get some advice before i went that far north of chicago.
    thanks for all the advice guys ..it really does help.

mary ann
  • Options
    Mary Ann,

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate your commentary. I would be happy to call Liberty for you if you think it worth your while. I can also suggest you might want to place a call to Elmer Hansen, Subaru Product Manager at Liberty.

As you know, I have great respect for the dealership. I'm willing to try to help both of you!

If you want me to call you, e-mail me at <<A HREF="http://yellowbikedon@compuserve.com">yellowbikedon@compuserve.com>.

Best regards,

Don
  • Options
    jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Your "cheap" buyer, deadbolt, sure needs a life. How many hours did it take her (shopping + time to wash the car, etc.) to 'save' $25? Most people, I think, won't discount their time so much. She is what is called, in a Smart Shopper conference of the same name, an "inconsiderate shopper." (I think they would enjoy and give you some perspective on your experience if you were to post your story there, btw.)

Actually, I'm willing (and expecting) to pay a premium for service. I've done that with the last five cars I've bought, all from a dealer I've learned to believe will be fair, helpful, and very much service-oriented, even to giving me consideration after a car is out of warranty. I appreciate that. So, when I shop, it's typical that I'll price a car with them, telling them that I plan to shop afterward. They explain that I may find other dealers willing to undercut their price, etc. But they give me their best shot. Then I waste an afternoon (no more, too much to do) and go to the "price leaders" in the area where they'll do better, sometimes quite a bit better. I've paid up to $1,250 as a premium to do business with the dealer (when I needed the car) and, another time, when the spread was even more extreme, I went back and told them I couldn't afford to deal with the difference and they should call me if circumstances changed and they could help me out. In about six weeks they called and we closed a satisfactory deal.

They are a small dealer, but they keep their six salespersons busy, have a good stock, and their service bays have cars lined up waiting.

What I get: no hassle; excellent mechanical service; free loaner; prompt attention (everyone does, btw); aggressive advocacy with the manufacturer on warranty service.

Otoh, if their attitude changes, so will my choice of dealer. If I couldn't get the service as an "option," I would surely shop price as aggressively as time would allow.

The Subaru dealers in my area have, at best, weak reputations. I like the car a lot and would have bought one by now if the dealerships would dump the games.

Hope this answers your question.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • Options
    gearhead4gearhead4 Member Posts: 122
    deadbolt,

I hate to hear whining from salespeople who lose a sale, but I think you have an appropriate attitude.

Your potential buyer who brusheed you off for $25 apparently learned her lesson.

But price is important. I think every buyer must visit more than one dealer just to determine what the true market value is. Can you imagine someone paying full sticker of $22,000 for a Dodge Caravan when the invoice is $18000 and the factory is offering an additional $1500 (dealer profits over $5000)? If that person did a little shopping around, they could save a minimum of $4000!

Yes, I know, the dealer still has to pay the light bill, salesman's commision and deserves some return on investment, but consumers have bills, too.

Consider my last visit to a local Honda dealer. I had 3 requirements:
    1. test drive an Accord (done, it passed the test)
    2. appraise my trade-in (appraised for $1800 less than what the Subaru dealer down the street offered)
    3. determine selling price (I based my figures on several sources including an add placed for a similar car at this dealership)

The salesman wouldn't allow me to test drive the car by myself. He then held me hostage for 3 hours while he appraised my trade-in and did who knows what else. After giving me his offer which was $2800 more than what I expected, he invited me to talk to the sales manager. The sales manager gave me some cock and bull story about how he had only 4 Accords with a 5 speed trans, so he didn't want to discount them, but he wasn't going to order more because nobody wanted them!!!

I purchased the Subaru and have not regretted it.

I might have visited another Subaru dealer, but if I did, he would need to beat the first dealer offer by $200. I figure my time is worth that much at least.

gearhead
  • Options
    The Accord's way, way too vanilla.

That Honda dealer did you a favor ;)

-juice
  • Options
    strvtstrvt Member Posts: 12
    I'm interested in buying GT Wagon in nearest future. And I have couple on questions:
    1. Does anybody can recommend good dealership in SW Connecticut?
    2. Does it make sense to wait until next month? May be we'll get any discount or special rates financing due to end of the model year? Or I can make better deal at June 30.
    3. How popular(easy to find) is Titanium Pearl color?
    4. Is it possible to rent Subie somewhere to test in for longer time? Where?
    5. Would Passat Wagon be better? :)
  • Options
    You can rent Subarus in our friend centavo's native Dominican Republic. And what an excuse to go out there! :)

The V6 Passat is less reliable than the Soob, and the V6/4Motion is priced closer to the upcoming LL Bean and VDC Outbacks ($28-30k). It's nice, but the GT can be had for much less green.

-juice
  • Options
    Sorry, no plans for Dominican Republic, our baby is too young for such trips.
    Actually, I thought about 1.8T Passat, which will be close in price and available with leather.
  • Options
    The 1.8T is peppy and the Passat is nice, but it doesn't have AWD or much ground clearance.

FWD will have a bit of torque steer, and won't handle as confidently. I spent the last 2 days driving my wife's 626 (V6, 5 speed), and found that though it is a bit quicker in a straight line, it understeered persistently and generally did not give me the confidence to drive it at the limit. So, surprisingly, my Forester is a whole lot more fun.

In my book, at least, a true sports sedan simply cannot have FWD. RWD ok, AWD even better. Consider a lightly equipped BMW 323i, an A4 Quattro, or a Passat 4Motion, plus the Soob. If you drive like I do you'll be glad you did.

Just my 2 cents'.

-juice
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Deadbolt,

Your buyer made the basic mistake of not comparing apples to apples when she forgot to include the doc prep fee so she got what she deserved.

I recently bought a new Subaru and was fortunate enough to find a local dealership, which not only offered the best price (with no haggling) but also made the whole purchase process a first class experience.

However, I'm somewhat of a penny-pincher so my price break would have been if another dealer could have offered to sell for 200-300 less. Even then I'd give the first dealership a chance to match it or at least come close. After all, when a salesperson spends a significant amount of time to earn both your trust and business, he/she deserves the sale.

Frank P.
  • Options
    aab1aab1 Member Posts: 2
    I spoke with a dealer today about ordering an OB. He mentioned that it would have to be a 2001 OB because Subaru is not taking any more orders on 2000's. Does this make sense?

He also suggested that 90 days was about how long it would take if I ordered a car. That sounds long to me (especially given the old postings I've read on the Edmunds site).
  • Options
    I also talked to some dealers about ordering an OB. No mention of a 2001 model, though. Delivery time was announced to be 8-10 weeks.
    However, I have a couple of other questions now, and maybe more later. Forgive my ignorance, but this is my first new car buy.

What does "port installed" mean. I thought the Outbacks are being assembled (built ?) in Indiana. Where is a port between Indiana and Texas (where I live).

Also, one of the dealers said a trailer hitch added on later would require 1.5 hours of labor. Aren't the holes pre-drilled on the Outbacks ? Is there anywhere an official list of the labor that's required to install particular accessories ?

Thanks in advance,

Mischa
  • Options
    miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    Deep within the Station Wagon conference archive, Howard (fudd2be) rises with the answer to the factory order process (and "ports"). I've been on the board since Howard posted this useful nugget and his information remains uncontested (notice I didn't say correct -- j/k Howard). My factory order took almost 12 weeks; click on my profile for the details and for my experience with CarBargains.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Paisan,

See, I told you I was cheap. But that lady who bought from another dealership just to try and save $25 takes the cake in my book.

Frank P.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'm pretty close with my dealer, and basically the problem with adding on the hitch afterward is that the dealer's repairshop does the install, and they have standard labor books that say how much labor they charge for a job, weather it takes that long or not, they charge you 1.5hrs for a hitch (some cars it takes 3hrs, some it takes 1/2hr) I could have gotten a hitch on my Trooper for $190 had I ordered it, but afterward it was going to be $300.

-mike

PS: always order from the factory whatever you intend on getting from the dealer later on.
  • Options
    The dealer is leaving a margin of error on the order. 12 weeks from now, I'm sure the 2001s will be here. Why not wait and get the H6? :)

Mischa - port installed means the accessories and options are not put on at the factory. It's no big deal, they're still covered by warranty, and the invoice price includes the installation, so like paisan said, it can be cheaper than paying the dealer to install it.

If you can wait about a week, I've already ordered the trailer hitch for my Forester, and can share my experience. I'm also getting the bike rack for the hitch. If you know me by now, you'll also know that I will take pictures, share instructions on a web site, and hints too.

I'm not sure, but I believe you basically bolt it on, though some areas may be hard to get to, and I may have to jack it up.

Yes, I'm anxious to get it, and excited about it, so trust that I'll share the whole experience with the Crew.

-juice
  • Options
    We already got our first shipment (shipments) of 01's. We are currently harboring 22 '01 Outbacks in our storage area, including the newly released Wintergreen Limited, and an Outback sedan with beige leather. (On a sad note, the '01 Limited's got hit with a $1000 price hike from the manufacturer, the lesser Outbacks only got about $100.)
  • Options
    Jerry: According to today's press release from Cherry Hill, '01 Limited Outback price was increased by only $200. I believe this increase covers content additions. All '01 prices were given. Also note the Brighton model has been dropped. Hope their release is accurate!

Don
  • Options
    from liberty subaru in libertyville,il. got my 2000 ob ltd. yesterday. mr. hansen went over everything with me. spent maybe 10 mins. in financing office-no pressure to buy any extras-couldn't afford them if i wanted them anyway. got a really really good price. thanks also to don -yellowbike- here on the boards for his help and advice with the dealer. also juice for answering email.

mary ann
  • Options
    jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Deadbolt, what's that?

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • Options
    barresa11barresa11 Member Posts: 277
    I think that he may be referring to the availability of the Wintergreen color on the Ltd OB for 2001. This combo wasn't available in 2000.
    The wintergreen color was only available on the std OB, not the Ltd, much the same way that the black color is not available on the std OB and only the Ltd OB.

Stephen
  • Options
    Mary Ann,

Thank you for the kind words. I know you'll be happy with the Outback and the Liberty Subaru people!

Enjoy!

Don
  • Options
    koshkakoshka Member Posts: 3
    Hi, guys!
    I have Forester'00 and I am very happy with it for almost 9 month now (except mpg I get). I am going to go on vacation soon and before I go I'm planning to add couple of things to my car. I need your advice. Did any of you install CD player on your Forester? Which CD player would you recommend? I'm not looking for very expensive one. How hard is it to install it?

And does anybody know anything about tinting? What to look for when you get one and how much is reasonable to pay?

Juice, I wanted to thank you for advice- I've bought Samsonite Roof Rack you've recommended on your website.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    texsubarutexsubaru Member Posts: 242
    Well, Mike, I'll chime in and agree with Frank that $200 or so could be enough to make a buy-or-no-buy difference. And it won't matter to me whether it's on a $12,000 or $20,000 vehicle -- 200 bucks is 200 bucks. In fact, since $20,000 is going to be substantially harder overall on my wallet than $12,000, I might even be inclined to push a little harder over $200 on a $20,000 purchase.
    But, having said all that, if I felt that one dealership was just outright treating me poorly while another was giving off substantially better vibes (and those were my only two realistic choices), the peace of mind from working with the better dealership could be well worth a $200 differential to me.
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Hey guys,

I just came across this on the SOA website. 2001
    model pricing is out. The LL Bean edition is
    about $30K and the VDC is $32K:

http://www.subaru.com/news/press_releases/pr_00/06_29_00_pricing.html
  • Options
    gatorbandgatorband Member Posts: 12
    As a soon-to-be purchaser of my first "subie" (a 2000 OB), I've been "lurking" on these boards for a few months now and have really appreciated all of the great advice, experiences, tips, pictures, etc. provided by all of you subie owners out there. You all definitely know your stuff!! With that said, I've got a few questions for anyone that wants to take a crack at them:

1) What is the MSRP & Invoice price for a rear spoiler on an OB? I haven't been able to find it on Edmunds, Consumer Digest, or any other similar publications website or hardcopy magazines?

2) Is the spoiler a "port installed" item, or can it be installed by the individual dealers?

3) Has anyone with a 2K OB AUTO trans. had a problem with bumping the gearshift from Drive to Neut. or 3rd gear?? When I test drove the car recently, (this will be my 1st automatic ever), I found that I could bump the shifter out of gear w/o pushing the break pedal. I like the gated gearshift, but would feel more comfortable with some type of locking mechanism (a top button perhaps?) to keep this from occurring.

4) For those of you who have a 2K OB Auto in hilly/mountainous areas (I live on the coast in NE Florida), just how much "umph" does the Auto H4 have with a full load (3-4 persons w/baggage), going uphill from either a slow speed or dead stop? Although I don't have hilly terrain where I live (which makes it tough gauge uphill "umph"), I do intend to make periodic visits to my relatives' cabin in the NC mountains and don't want to end up with a vehicle that's going to wheeze its way up the hill when loaded with wife, kid & luggage.

5) Do any of you know (Patti maybe?) when the cutoff date will be for special ordering a 2K OB? (In case I can't find one that I want). Also, how long it's been taking to get one once it's ordered?

Thanks again guys (& gals) for all of your help. I'll post more questions as I think of them.

Steve
  • Options
    Hi, I have a 00' OB Ltd wagon w/auto. I live in Seattle, so we have a lot of hills! We also have terrible traffic hence the auto option. I have to say, in all honesty, you will need to tromp a bit on the accelerator when going uphill w/ a load. The car is about 3600 lbs (w/o a heavy load) so 165 lbs of torque doesn't equate that well. Once on the move though, this thing will get up and go. It loves to cruise (and gets better mileage than 60 -65 mph) between 70mph and 80mph. I also noticed that I would inadvertently hit 3rd out of overdrive. I agree that it's way too easy to do this and should have an indent to prevent (Patti...are reading this :-)). Overall, I'm glad I went with the auto. You also get a more advance AWD system w/the auto vs. the manual. This is another reason I went w/the auto. Anyhow, I love my OB. If you can afford it (not that it's unreasonably priced but sometimes we all are on a budget)get the upgraded sound system and/or the in-dash 6-disc CD changer. I love mine but tend to forget what CD's I put in what slot. The sound is more than enough for me and a definite improvement over the stock system. Also, w/the 6-disc changer you keep the standard single slot CD, so effectively have a 7-disc system.

Let us Soobie Crew know what you decide....keep us updated. We love to live vicarioulsy through new owners...:-)

Good Luck,
    Stephen
  • Options
    I realized, after re-reading your post that you are looking at the std OB. I believe the single CD is an option as well so you may not have the advantage of having 7-CD player when getting the the 6-disc changer. No biggie, but the upgraded sound system is worth it IMHO. Also, I believe the std OB is about 100 lbs lighter (I think due to the extra weight involved w/the dual sunroof feature of the Ltd OB).

Stephen
  • Options
    mark84mark84 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have experience (pro or con) with Atlanta area Subaru dealers?

I'm in the market for a '00 Outback Wagon. Looking for an honest, no-nonsense salesperson and good service department.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Options
    Mark,

I purchased a 2001 Forester from Conley Subaru in Decatur last month and heartily recommend them for the following reasons:

a. They offered an extremely reasonable up front price ($300 over invoice and they showed me their invoice).

b. I was able to test drive several vehicles sans sales person!

c. There was never any pressure to buy.

d. Completing the purchase documents took only a few minutes and no one tried to sell me unwanted insurance, extended warranty, etc.

e. Upon purchase, they introduced me to their Subaru certified master mechanic. I was also given his business card and told to feel free and call him anytime I had a mechanical question.

f. Car was detailed nicely and topped off with gas prior to delivery.

Bottom line: The entire purchase experience was by far the best I've ever had (9th new car).

Frank P.
  • Options
    I'm asking here third time. Do anybody can recomend good dealership in CT (Fairfield County if possible).
    OK, Westchester County of NYC will be OK too.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Whoever was asking about the acceleration under load, I'd wait for the H6...

I was about to buy a Legacy GT Wagon (had my deposit money in hand) and went to test drive it. I loaded 5 200lbs guys into the car... Needless to say, it couldn't get out of it's own way. I can only imagine if I added camping gear and a 2000lbs. trailer...

I had to opt for an Isuzu Trooper for $27500 (LS model) which was about $3500 more than the GT Wagon, but gave me a ton more power and towing, and room, but poorer gas milage, and handling...

-mike
  • Options
    gtdrivergtdriver Member Posts: 67
    Sorry to hear about your Trooper purchase (just kidding). Help me with the logic here, though: Aside from the questions of how often you have four 200 Lb. guys with you and the likelihood that none of them has some sort of SUV you could use/borrow/swap when you go camping....
    Are you saying that it is worth driving an overpriced, gas guzzling, poor-handling vehicle with a much-higher-than-average propensity for roll-overs during the 95% of the time that you are not hauling a trailer, gear and friends, just so you can have more power the 5% of the time that you are? Wouldn't it make more sense to have the GT for that 95% of the time even if it is a dog with a full capacity load?
This discussion has been closed.