Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler's New Lifetime Drivetrain Warranty

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
edited April 2014 in Chrysler
Ask questions and discuss it here.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/13760482/detail.html

Sounds like it will cover almost all of their vehicles.
    Is it enough, though?
    Good news for people buying Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep... but will it be enough to lure people who are not "loyalists"?

For me... if they have a PT Cruiser in 2009....when I am ready to buy again... yes, this helps..but if they dump it, and don't have products I want..no... it won't make me buy something I do not care for.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    If they had anything I wanted, which they don't, it would sure motivate me to buy from Chrysler.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    I wonder if the rest will step up their coverage, like Hyundai/Kia, for example, or GM.
    I also wonder if this will cover(if it is still around by 09-2010)...the 2 Chery-built Dodge products?
    If it does... this will help alot, to assuage fears of junky Chery cars, built for the company, perhaps?
    Plus, 10-15K( guessing here) msrp cars,with lifelong coverage on drivetrain?
    Hmmm..... others might have to step-up coverage, if they sell like hotcakes?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    the new Dodge Hornet, still about a year and a half away until it hits Chrysler sales lots, is a great example of a rig that Chrysler needs to offer the lifetime powertrain Warranty on. I mean, you've got all the rest of your bumper-to-bumber stuff covered at the standard 5 year and 60,000 miles, I suppose. But the lifetime Warranty on the powertrain will get more people in to at least look at the small rigs that don't propel much profit to the dealers.

Dodge really needs the Hornet to be built right and they need to keep the price down(I'm thinking around $14,995 for a 6-speed Hornet that is not stripped down)to be competitive with Hyundai, Kia and Honda and Nissan and Toyota and BMW Mini-Cooper.

But, yes, they'll offer it on the small rigs. They have to. They're not in a position to call all the shots, like Toyota and Honda think they are in a position to do.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

will it be like their old 7/100k warranty from a few years ago:charge 100 dollars deductible for every visit to just look @ warranty items(that may/may not be covered, if there is an issue?).
    Think is was if they checked, and no issues, even, it was still 100 dollars ?
    Or was it on actual work done under warranty(I forget).

Anyhow...
    we'll just have to wait and see how this goes over the next few years.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    This could be a game changer here. Chrysler cars IMO are pretty reliable if properly maintained based on people I know with them. Only thing that I am leary about on them is the transmissions, so if they're covering this for life then either they are going to lose their shirts on this or they really have turned a corner in tranny reliability? I'm kinda thinking the latter as the whole DC thing may have brought some "lessons learned" to Chrysler on how to build a good unit.

Me, I haven't met an automatic tranny that I really loved but my wifes 2002 C-class hatch (yes, the one everybody hated) was acceptable, if not entertaining and it didn't give her a lick of trouble in the 100k miles she had it. Mercedes builds the nicest slushboxes I've driven, and I have driven a lot of cars over the years, so if that kinda influence makes it to the Chrysler lineup then this is a great thing.

Maybe they even peaked over the shoulders of those Merc guys who were designing interiors? That would help as well...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Only thing that I am leary about on them is the transmissions,

That was the rap on Chrysler minivans back in the late 80's too when I was shopping. The 7/70 promotion was a factor in my buying a Voyager in 1989.

I had a few head gasket issues, but the tranny was fine for 10 years/90k when I traded. I had to go backwards to a 5/60 powertrain warranty with the Nissan I got, and it had one of the longest powertrain warranties available in '99.
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    Chrysler lifetime warranty is only awailable in the USA, not Canada. I hope to keep my 2002 Honda Odyssey forever (presently 174,000 kilometers {108,000 miles}). I was working when I bought it. I'm retired now & there is not as much cash available to pay today's high prices. A new Hnnda Odyssey Touring costs CAN$50,000. Some people are buying vechicles in the USA & bringing them back to Canada; but they forfit the warranty. It's mice not to have to go to the dealer & wait & wait, as I once did with my 1992 Taurus.
  • neile457neile457 Member Posts: 65
    A question about this new warranty. It started on the 26th, 2 Thursdays ago. I am looking at a T&C Wednesday night, and decide to think it over after the finance room fun. I come back on Thursday afternoon, with the two kids (5&6) to go ahead and buy, sign the paperwork and leave. I look at my paperwork yesterday after I get back from vacation, and it's dated by their computer on the 25th! I didn't check it, not even thinking about it, not to mention I was trying to keep control of my kids. I was just concerned that the numbers were right. Is there anything that the dealership can do to fix this? Or will they just say they can't do anything? I called yesterday afternoon, and was told they would call me back on Monday.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    You should be ok with this, you took delivery of the car after the announcement. Let us know what happens!
  • neile457neile457 Member Posts: 65
    That was easy, just went in and resigned the paperwork with the correct date. Needless to say, I was worried.
  • veritasusaveritasusa Member Posts: 72
    Chrysler could offer a warranty that was good until the heat death of the universe, but if they can't or won't fix anything under the warranty unless the engine drops out in the middle of the road, said warranty is hardly a bargain even if free (which such things never are - the cost is hidden in there somewhere).

I have been waiting almost two years for Chrysler to come up with a fix for a problem they admitted in September 2005. If they ever came up with a fix, they sure won't admit it to me.

All my other problems they brush off as being "normal operation," "caused by front bug deflector or side window air deflectors" (all Mopar dealer installed accessories, by the way) or the luggage rack cross bars (or time, tide, or the way I hold my mouth or some such).

I can't afford to take the hit on trading off this piece of crap for a real vehicle on my fixed income, so it will continue to be a very low-mileage car - 8600 miles in 21 months so far.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    For future reference, check out ALG's depreciation ratings for resale:

https://www.alg.com/deprratings.aspx

That says nothing about reliability, but it is easier to get out of a deal when a car maintains its value.
    Wow, sorry you're having such problems, my 2005 has been completely trouble free after 20,000 miles. I have bug deflector and crossbars too....what's the issue?
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    ALG and all other "experts" have PHONY nuumbers.

WHY? Because they use MSRP as the base line for vehicles instead of a more accurate, realistic Actual Selling Price for ALL new vehicles.

I KNOW for a fact that my 2006 Sienna LE depreciated almost $ 10,000 dollars in less than 3,000 miles based on the trade in value a Toyota dealership used vehicle manager said a 2006 Sienna LE was worth in May, 2006. :sick:
    You got low-balled by one dealer. That's probably the wholesale auction price, minus a cut for them. I don't think you can conclude they would all do the same thing.

Like I said, new LEs are $23-25k, one year old used ones sell for $21k or so, and that's a high mileage rental.

I just don't see how a 3000 mile old Sienna could go for $13-15k, no way no how. I would have bought your van in a second if they did.

What did you pay? $10k less than you paid would be a steal even now, with more miles. Sell it privately and it would be gone in 10 seconds, bought by the first person that read your ad.

Why not sell privately?

Even 3 year old LEs go for about $16-18k.

You gotta try harder to sell it before you can claim $10,000 deprecitaion in 3000 miles. That's insanity.
    You gotta head over to the Real World Trade-in Values thread, seriously.

Have you Sienna appraised by the pros. Terry is back. They'll set that low-ball dealer right.

It happens, though, insulting low-ball offers. Some dealer just offered $13k on a 2005 Acura TL, Terry and other dealership employees appraised it at $20k.

I just offered him $14k cash for the car, sight unseen. :D

I'll say it again - one dealer's low-ball offer does NOT mean your Sienna depreciated $10,000 in 3000 miles. That's simply absurd.
    I just picked up my car after having it in the shop for a day and a half getting its 2 year service at my nearest Chrysler dealer (actually I have owned it for 25 months, not 21 as I mistakenly said in my earlier post).

Since I had so few miles on it (the 6000 mile service was done in January by a local trusted service shop - NOT a dealer), about the only real service was to change the oil and filter and check some levels.

Among the many problems I have been fighting since day one are, mostly NVH issues, are a distracting wind noise that appears to come from the top of the driver's side glass (only a very faint air burble is evident on the passenger side) and a twitchy driver's side outside mirror - it's not a steady vibration, but the mirror jumps at every slight road irregularity. Distracting in daytime and downright aggravating at night.

Both my selling dealer (who I gave up on after making several 70-mile round trips to get exactly no satisfaction) and my nearer (but no better) dealer at first tried to tell me that the wind noise was caused by the driver's side window air deflector (Mopar). The selling dealer even replaced the first pair of deflectors, but no help. Neither dealer could or would explain why the passenger side didn't exhibit a similar, if not identical, noise problem if it was indeed caused by said deflectors.

It was only on my latest trip that I really pushed about the twitchy side mirror because it was only recently that I made a long enough trip in the beast (a 450 mile round trip to South west Florida) to be exposed to it for any length of time.

Now the official line is that both the twitching mirror and the wind noise are caused by the plastic front bug deflector (also Mopar). This rationale still begs the question of just why the noise and the twitching only appear on the driver's side. Well, to be fair, the service writer at my present service department did state that "the passenger side mirror is stronger."

But then this is the same service writer who, when trying to convince me that I should have my tires rotated even though they had been rotated only 2000 miles previously, told me with a straight face that "tires should be rotated every six months even though traveling as few miles as mine because the sitting creates flat spots which rotation will cure."

Now I ask one and all... What is to be done with service departments such as this?

Last but not least, I have returned home with my copy of a service invoice covering two pages and listing seven items. Only the first - the oil and filter change - was done. All my problems were brushed off with "no problem found," "normal operation," or "customer will see Chrysler rep" (he comes around about once a month or whenever the mood strikes him).

But, attached to my invoice was a cheery little addendum which stated in part:

"Thanks again for the opportunity to be of service!

We understand the value of our customers and appreciate that you choose us for your automotive needs.

... Our goal is to make every customer "COMPLETELY SATISFIED" (sic), and we sincerely hope all your concerns were met.

If for any reason you are not "COMPLETELY Satisfied" (sic) contact our service department so that we can make every effort to resolve your concern."

Always leave 'em laughing...
    Wow!!!! Has dealer taken car out for spin, up to speed etc..and were you invited along?

The mirror should be black and white issue...and they should replace it. I'd consider that a safety issue.

The wind issue....your burbling is probably more subjective. I remember carpooling with a girl who would pound on the IP of her Civic, complaining of a rattle that I never hear?

Hopefully the Rep will provide some solution. Good Luck
    I've known people that obsess like that. They'll never be happy.

Same thing, complaining about a rattle in a moonroof on a 626 that I never heard.

Every time they buy a new car they change brands, then they complain about that one. :sick:

I'm not saying your van didn't have problems, just pointing out that the customer is most certainly not always right.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...will really work for them if they equip all their vehicles with Slant Sixes or 318 V-8s mated to Torqueflite trannies. These components are darn-near bulletproof.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Anyone have the details of the warranties? I'm assuming it's mechanical failures only, which in today's engines is less likely than an electronic failure, not to mention when there is a mechanical failure they cover, guaranteed they'll ding you for an electronic component as well.

For instance the trans fails, they'll cover the transmission hardware, but mysteriously you'll need a TCU and wiring harness to the tune of say $1500-3000

:)

-mike
    True, powertrains rarely fail these days except from extreme abuse or neglect. Stuff like alternators, power steering pumps, and A/C compressors are technically accessories and not part of the powertrain. Shoot, if it was a bumper to bumper lifetime warranty, I'd be down to the Chrysler dealer to buy a 300-C SRT8 right now!
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    In order to maintain the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, you must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge dealer once every 5 years. This inspection, performed at no charge, must be made within 60 days of each 5-year anniversary of the warranty start date of the vehicle. It is your responsibility to perform preventative maintenance on your vehicle. You're strongly encouraged to follow the instructions contained in the Scheduled Maintenance Service guidelines in your Owner's Manual.
    » What is different from your 7-year/70,000-mile powertrain warranty to the new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?

The 7/70 warranty included a deductible per repair visit, and coverage was transferable for a fee of $150. The new lifetime warranty has no deductible and is not transferable.
    NEW CHRYSLER LIFETIME POWERTRAIN WARRANTY CUSTOMERS -- Q&A
    Q1: How do I know if I’m covered by the new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
    A1: You’re covered if you’re the first registered vehicle owner (purchased on or after July 26, 2007) – retail or lease – in U.S., Puerto Rico and The Virgin Islands.

Q2: What does the new powertrain limited warranty include?
    A2: The Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair covered powertrain components – engine, transmission and drive system – on most new Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge 2006 MY, 2007 MY and 2008 MY vehicles.

Q3: What powertrain parts and components are covered?
    A3: Gasoline engine, transmission and drive systems (FWD, AWD, RWD or 4WD).

Q4: Are there specific provisions to the new warranty?
    A4. In order to maintain the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, you must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge dealer once every 5 years. This inspection, performed at no charge, must be made within 60 days of each 5-year anniversary of the warranty start date of the vehicle. It is your responsibility to perform preventative maintenance on your vehicle. You’re strongly encouraged to follow the instructions contained in the Scheduled Maintenance Service guidelines in your Owner’s Manual.

Q5: When does the new warranty coverage take effect?
    A5: The Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty begins at the end of the 3-year/36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty.

Q6: Why is Chrysler changing its warranty coverage?
    A6: Our confidence level in our vehicles is very high. Our dealers are telling us that our products are the best quality they've seen in a very, very long time – maybe ever. So, we'd like to take this level of confidence and share it with you, our customers. This new powertrain warranty demonstrates our commitment to you as a Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge customer and the confidence we have in our ability to produce quality, reliable and durable vehicles. We want you to feel that same confidence.

Q7: Are any Chrysler vehicles excluded?
    A7: Our new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty covers over 88% of our vehicles sold at retail in the U.S. Vehicles that not covered include those used as/for/by police, taxis, limousines, postal delivery, ambulances, rental or government – these will continue to be covered by the 3-year/36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty. Also excluded are SRT models and Dodge Sprinters which are covered by our 3-year/36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty; and our diesel-engine vehicles (Dodge Ram Cab/Chassis and Dodge Sprinter) which are covered by a 5-year/100,000-mile engine warranty – our diesel-equipped Jeep vehicles have a 3-year/36,000-mile engine warranty.

Q8: What about second owners of the vehicle?
    A8: Subsequent owners or lessees, even if they are within the same family or business, are not covered. Successor business entities or persons to whom the vehicle is transferred by operation of law are also not covered. Chrysler offers extended service contracts for purchase for second owners of Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge vehicles.

Q9: Why did you choose to make this program non-transferable?
    A9: Our internal research data confirmed that the transferability take rate (available on the 7-year/70,000-mile warranty program) was low. We are providing peace-of-mind to the original owner who made the investment in our Chrysler product. Our competitors, Hyundai/KIA/Mitsubishi that offer what was considered the benchmark in long-term powertrain warranty (10 years/100,000 miles), only extend it to the original owner. With the announcement of the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, Chrysler will be the new benchmark in long-term powertrain warranty.

Q10: How does your new lifetime powertrain warranty coverage compare to your competitors?
    A10: We are the first and only OEM to offer a lifetime powertrain warranty.

Q11: What is different from your 7-year/70,000-mile powertrain warranty to the new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
    A11: The 7/70 warranty included a deductible per repair visit, and coverage was transferable for a fee of $150. The new lifetime warranty has no deductible and is not transferable.

Q12: If I purchased my vehicle on July 24 or 25, am I still eligible for the new lifetime limited warranty?
    A12: No. However, Chrysler Service Contracts offers a Lifetime Powertrain service contract that is similar to the Company’s new powertrain warranty program. For 60 days, this plan will be offered at a great value to you if you own a 2006 MY and 2007 MY Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge vehicle with the 3/36 basic limited warranty coverage.

Q13: How long will this new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty be offered on Chrysler vehicles?
    A13: At this time, we plan to continue this warranty program through the 2008 MY.

Q14: How can I learn more about Chrysler’s new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
    A14: Initially, warranty details will be provided as a supplement to the current vehicle Warranty Information Books. Revised warranty books for future vehicles are currently under development. Customers may also visit Chrysler.com, Dodge.com and Jeep.com for more information.

Q15: Is towing included in the new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty program?
    A15: No. Our research indicates that most consumers have independent towing service plans such as AAA.

Q16. Are Mexico, Canada and International markets offering the new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
    A16: No. This is a U.S. program only.

Q17: Is this just a marketing promotion to drive traffic to your dealerships?
    A17: No. This demonstrates our commitment to improved quality on all our vehicles. This isn't a rebate or financing incentive. We stand behind our products with capital investment in facilities and technology. Our warranty programs exemplify our investment in powertrain. It's a move of strength.

Q18: What does 'lifetime' mean?
    A18: Lifetime is lifetime.
    Before I reply to your post, please believe me when I say that I only wish I possessed the imagination to either make up my experiences with my car and local dealers or to embellish the facts. If I did, I could probably augment my modest retirement income either by writing scripts for TV sitcoms or speeches for politicians.

You stated: "The mirror should be black and white issue...and they should replace it. I'd consider that a safety issue."

I did bring up that issue - that this, along with every other irritating, worrying noise made by my van, is a potential safety hazard. I have been previously advised by a flip poster in another forum to merely turn up my radio volume. I NEVER use my radio or CD player or cell phone when driving - I devote all my attention to what is going on around me.

Anyway, the response of the service person to the mirror issue was: "Chrysler won't let us replace them anymore if they are only jiggling."

Now this might be restricted only to this particular dealer if the problem really is caused by turbulence from the dealer-installed bug deflector on the hood (which I still don't buy because the problem, like the loud wind noise, appears on one side only) because, for some years now (certainly before very early 2005 when I first test drove a 2005 T&C from this dealer), the dealer has packed EVERY minivan on his lot with side window air deflectors, rear splash guards, front side window tinting AND a front bug deflector! He doesn't even use MOPAR accessories, but some after market brand instead to increase his profit.

Yes, the service managers at two dealers have driven the car and both claim either 1. "I don't hear anything." or 2. "They all sound like that." Of late, I have only talked to the assistant service manager at my nearest dealer because the service manager always seems to be up the road at the owner's GM dealership. I have sat around the dealer on more than one occasion waiting for the regional guy to show up, but have not yet met him in person. I have talked to him on the phone and he seems to be a rather truculent sort.

In all fairness, I have to think that the attitudes of my area dealers are largely influenced by either the attitude of the regional service office in Orlando or even by the top of the (then) DC food chain. I know that all I ever got from trying to go to the Chrysler help line was either 1. "Talk to your local service department." or 2. "You might try using Florida's lemon law to get your money back" A real hotbed of apathy.

As a rather amusing (or so the uninvolved might think) epilogue to my latest dealer visit, After I had paid the bill for the oil/filter change, the lady threw me my key and the itemized service report. But no one seemed to know where my car was and were too busy to look. I finally walked around the service department building and found it sitting in an inconspicuous place way in the back. When I got in turned on the ignition, the a/c fan was set at full speed and the radio (which, as I said, I never use) was turned on full blast to some hard rock station. That might help to explain why the service technicians never hear the sounds I do...
    Although your remarks are carefully crafted to refer to me in the third person and are neither accurate nor apropos, I feel I cannot respond to what you say without appearing to flame you, so in this instance, at least, I must surrender the field to one who more prolific in posting and more skilled in sniping and quietly pretend that nothing was said.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Given that the average owner trades his car in at 5.4 years (up from about 5 years some years ago), and given that the warranty does not extend to the second owner, and given that you must have the car inspected at a Chrysler dealer at the 5 year mark or you are disqualified, I'd say this warranty is, for the average person, not much more than smoke and mirrors.

Why? Well for one obvious reason, most buyers won't need it since they will kiss their Chrysler goodbye before that, and two, they can't even use the lifetime warranty as a sales tool to the next buyer---so it won't help most Chrysler owners with their grim resale value problems, either.

For those few owners who follow the rules, it could be an incentive, but really, how many of you are a) going to be driving this car in 2013 and b)will have a major driveline failure?

After all, even at 12,000 miles a year, any modern engine and tranmission should last ten years....and you'll be pretty sick of your Chrysler by 2017 I would think.

Visiting Host
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    Other than the transmission issues on the minivan products - and they are out there - what transmission problems are the current Chrysler fleet having? From my experience, very few.

The real issues are the myriad of electrical issues that seen to begin around 70k miles. By that time, my fleet cars are gone.

To me, it is more marketing hype than actual benefit.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    All that being said.....

I can't wait to see someone pull their 30 year old 300 into a Chrysler dealer in 2037 and get them to foot the bill for an engine and trans.. it would be comical.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Not to disagree ... cuz I think you got the facts right ...

... but it's not nice to dis Chrsyler's warranty on the basis that the covered components are unlikely to fail.
    This would be a GOOD thing.

The electrical stuff could be nasty, though, I agree. I also remember our '97 Nissan pickup... good truck, almost no issues... almost...

I remember breathing a sigh of relief the day the warranty ran out because I (i) didn't anticipate any real problems, and (ii) could now go find my own mechanic instead of having to go to the Nissan dealership and get the runaround for every little thing. Plus, these were the guys that overfilled my crankcase an extra quart and then some. Ugh.

The most important point that was made is that the way this warranty works, its unlikely to help with resale. OTOH, it's great if you need a high-mileage runner that you can keep for ten years and 300k miles. It'll be nice to have a new transmission installed at 120k and 240k... free of charge.

-Mathias
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I would never own a Chrysler, but perhaps lease one if I really loved the car, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Too much trouble, plus horrible resale value. Who knows, they are getting better.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The most important point that was made is that the way this warranty works, its unlikely to help with resale. OTOH, it's great if you need a high-mileage runner that you can keep for ten years and 300k miles. It'll be nice to have a new transmission installed at 120k and 240k... free of charge.

Here is the catch though, anything electrical involved in the trans is likely not covered (TCU, relay, solenoids, pumps, etc) So yeah they'll do the mechanical side of things on the trans gratis, but I guarantee that you won't get out without a bill of 2-3k even with the mechanical stuff being covered...

-mike
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm not so sure about the solenoid. It's electromechanical so it could be "borderline," i.e. it's mostly mechanical and uses simple electrical current to push it.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Let me pre-face this with the fact I am not a Chrysler fan. Duh......

Who cares about the stuff thats not covered, the fact that they have stepped up and offered this is tremendous. lets say you have 143K miles on your car and the engine fails. Without the warranty you flip the whole bill, right? With the warranty lets say that the warranty covers $3800 worth of your $4500 bill. That is huge.

I hoep Ford does the same thing. Another thing it does for the consumer is it makes the Extended Service Contract prices go down. When Ford started the 5yr/60 PT satandard warranty the average price of my extended service contract prices dropped around $300-400 dollars.

When the Focus went to 5yr 100K it dropped there prices $395.

If Chryslers Power train Warranty is the same as Fords here is what it cover.

Engine
    All internal lubricated parts
    Block
    Heads
    Flywheel
    Manifold
    Oil Pan
    Oil Pump
    Seals and Gaskets
    Thermostat
    Thermostat Housing
    Timing Chain Cover
    Timing Chain (Gears or Belt)
    Turbocharger/Supercharger factory installed
    Valve Covers
    Water Pump

Transmission
    All internal parts
    Seals and Gaskets
    Torque Converter
    Transfer case
    Transmission Case

Rear Wheel Drive
    Axel Shafts
    Bearings
    Drive Axel Housing
    Drive Shaft
    Retainers
    Seals and Gaskets
    Universal and Constant Velocity Joints

Front Wheel Drive
    Axel Shafts
    Bearings
    Final Drive housing
    Hubs
    Locking Rings
    Seals and Gaskets
    Universal and Constant Velocity Joints
    I'm still not "getting" this argument...if in fact this warranty serves that smaller than average percentage of people who keep a car beyond 5.4 years, and then the even further small percentage of that less-than-average number who will have a major driveline failure at some point beyond 5.4 years, and that this warranty does NOT serve second owners.....well then, the big question is:

How is this supposed to help Chrysler sell more cars and stay in business?

An engine blowing up at 143K is the ideal situation for an automaker....the car is pretty damn tired anyway, the owner can't complain after all those miles of use, and it's a great excuse for the owner to buy another new car.

My two cents? This warranty is ill-conceived if you sit down and think it through to the longterm.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    "...if they equip all their vehicles with Slant Sixes or 318 V-8s mated to Tourqueflite trannies..."

Boy, that's a blast from the past. My first car was a 1969 Plymouth automatic with the 318. I can't begin to tell you the abuse I put that car through. Burn outs, drop patching, skidding, you name it. I managed to blow out third gear at well over 100K, got it fixed for $189 and continued to beat that poor car for another 50K miles.

When I finally sold it for $100 years later it had a busted motor mount so if you gunned it, the engine would lift up, bang on the hood and pull the power steering hose loose. Made for some very interesting rides.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

How is this supposed to help Chrysler sell more cars and stay in business?

Perception. They can now say they have the best warranty of any one. Up until this happend that was Hyundai's calling card.
    Seems to me that to be swayed out of one make of car into another, consumers want something they can take to the bank right here, right now....that's either discounts, better quality, better resale....something more than the tempting but rather airy concept of "perception", don't you think?

I mean you can take long warranties two ways: That the product is very good for them to stand behind it so long, or that it's really bad and we'll do anything to get you to buy one.

Long warranties didn't help Mitsubishi very much for instance.
    Long warranties didn't help Mitsubishi very much for instance.

The business practices of the average Mitsubishi Dealership is what has killed Mitsubishi.

How can you all say this is a bad thing. I would love to have it in my tool box.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    As joel also stated, this is simply a marketing ploy to sell more cars. BTW, most consumers won't sit down and analyze this warranty like you and many others on this board have done. It has nothing to do with demonstrating their confidence in the quality of their vehicles. Why would you introduce it on July 27th (end of model year)? Wouldn't you do it with the new model year? Or better yet, make it retro-active for all 2007 vehicles?

Chrysler has to move cars. period. They have launched a few vehicles that are suppose to be their volume leaders to lukewarm receptions. They are trying to avoid what happened last year when thousands of Durangos and Cherokees sat in parking lots outside the factory.

Their business managers did the math as you did and determined they could offer this warranty without risking much. It still does not replace the fact that their lineup, and more importantly, their profits are still heavily based on SUVs and pickups. They have no fuel efficient vehicle to market. Getting 30 mpg highway in a compact car is not cutting it. Personally, I would not buy a Chrysler. Not a fan of the high beltline styling of the 300c and Charger. And none of their other cars remotely appeal to me. Although the new minivan could peak my interest in a few years even though i question the need for 3 engine choices.
    I understand your argument and the logic of it...I just don't think it will sell more cars. I don't see HOW it could actually sell more cars.

Of course, I'm just speculating, but something tells me this is a case of someone being TOO clever...or maybe the law of diminishing returns, as in "one is good, two is better, four is really better, etc".

Well maybe not. Maybe warranty periods have an optimum that should not be exceeded?

AND (this is a dark thought :shades: )....have you thought about what happens to the lifetime guarantee if Chrysler folds or is sold and morphed into another company?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    It is not a bad thing. It's just not as good as Chrysler is making it out to be. Personally, i hope all auto manufacturers do this so we can end all of these marketing ploys.

For some reason the the struggling auto makers seem to have forgotten that if you make solid, reliable and appealing cars, the American public will buy it. Heck look at the Fusion. It's nothing more then a second generation Mazda 6. All Ford did was look at the shortcomings of the very good Mazda 6 and apply it to the Fusion. If they could somehow improve the I-4 power and fuel efficiency to match the Camry, Accord and Altima, they would have hit a homerun. But a stand-up double isn't too bad. The Fusion sells well (until last month) because it is a solid, reliable and decent looking car. Still not as good as the Accord or Camry but there are enough sales in this segment for the Fusion. No need for a gimmick marketing like the "Lifetime Warranty". Build a good car and the people will come (where have I heard that before).
    Build a good car and the people will come (where have I heard that before).
    :D:D
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    This thread is starting to remind me of the dealer for life thread... Dealer for Life

What happens when Chrysler is sold to new owners and changes their name to Dhrysler?

I can see it now...

[Conan O'Brian Year 2000 Voice]

IN THE YEAR 2020

[/Conan O'Brian Voice]

Customer goes into the new Dhrysler dealership to have his 300C engine replaced.

Service Manager says oh I am sorry we aren't Chrysler Corporation anymore we are the Dhrysler Corporation we sell Codges, Dhyrslers and Peeps.
    I kinda view it as an act of desperation, quite frankly.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    so criticized if Honda or Toyota had come out with this warranty?????????? I doubt it!!!! They did it, give them their due respect, even if it is a marketing tool. They did it!!!!! Period.
    If that lifetime warranty were to be tranferrable to a second owner, it might help Chrysler's dismal resale value.
    ...this idea would work for me if I bought a Chrysler. I tend to keep my cars for a much longer time than average.
This discussion has been closed.