Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    My oldest daughter is a Subie person now. They had a kid and got a 2018 Forester. Part of the reason was the car seat laws here in PA. Rear facing car seats are not allowed to touch the front seats, and the Forester was the only vehicle in the prices range they were looking at that met the standard
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited April 2019
    Still "one of the few" here. And still driving my 2015 Forester Touring.

Will be going to England and Wales in May to get my annual manual transmission, turbo diesel fix. In my past trips I've driven Audi A4 S_Line wagon (twice), Nissan Qashqai (Rouge Sport), Opel Astra, Skoda Octavia (twice).

And it's always fun to drive on the "wrong" side of the road. :)
    edited April 2019
    I didn't have my camera, but I HAVE to share this "sighting" with the Crew. Someone around here has a blue Honda Fit that they have put the Subie rally decals on the side.

Ummm... EVERYBODY knows you're not in a WRX son. :)

I guess it makes him feel like this

PF_Flyer said:

I didn't have my camera, but I HAVE to share this "sighting" with the Crew. Someone around here has a blue Honda Fit that they have put the Subie rally decals on the side.

I guess a Type R badge didn't add enough horsepower.
    I hear if you hang a coffee can under the rear bumper it REALLY does the trick
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    That and VTEC stickers … adds 5hp per sticker.
    Stickers do seem to be the best bang for the buck :)
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Still alive and kicking! Getting older, the state of my back is starting to slow me down, and the word "retirement" is beginning to creep into our conversations. Trying to 'steer' our 23 yo into something safe so looking at a Forester with eyesight. The 16 yo wants the older's Honda CR-V. Ah, family dynamics!
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Retirement is fantastic! I highly recommend it.
    So glad that both my daughters have long since graduated and are productive members in the work force. I now have two granddaughters with a third on the way.
    Not sure retirement is in my dictionary :)

Working from home, retirement would feel like work anyway since I'm ALWAYS at the office. If the wife retires and I'm still here, she better travel so she doesn't mess up my feng shui...LOL
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Hey Jim. Still out in the Bay area?
    Hi Steve, we moved to Nevada 5 years ago. Skiing is so much closer and not having state income tax is a bonus.
    At one point, I thought we'd be a two Subaru family, instead we are now a two Audi family.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    Indeed?! What are they?

I have a Q7 TDI now, but I'm looking to offload it (if possible!). I want to get an electric vehicle within the next 2-3 years.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • paleopaleo Member Posts: 5
    Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. I formerly posted till about 2005 as TWRX. Along about 2008 I had forgotten password etc. and registered as Paleo. Last posted in 2008. Traded my 200 Legacy on a Honda Civic in 2009 and stayed away from Subaru until 2013. At that time I bought a 2000 Outback to go with my Civic. Traded the Civic on a Mazda 6 in 2016. Back in February I totaled the Outback doing an ill advised left turn. (too bad, it was a 5 speed manual and my Forester has the antique 4 speed auto and the crappy gas mileage). Spent most of the rest of the month and on into March looking at car gurus and finally found a forester I liked the looks of in Nashville TN. ( I live in Southern Indiana). Don't buy with that combination of states in mind. It was a pain in the a** getting my registration papers from Tenn. via the Indiana BMV. Anyway according to Car Guru prices I got a pretty good deal on a pretty car. It is a 2010 Forester 2.5X Premium in Carnelian Red. Perfect inside and nearly perfect outside with 137,000 miles. I'm still shaking it down so to speak and am not going to spend any extra on it until I get it serviced for the first time to make sure I don't have the dreaded head gasket issue. If I am clear at that time I'm replacing the stereo (ugh, a single disk CD with only an acc jack which makes an iPod a pain to use) with a Pioneer or Kenwood Apple Car Play compatible touch screen stereo. Boom! USB phone, iPod and Nav via iPhone, And if I spend more, backup camera. Anyway been really back into Subaru again and have been entertained recently by You Tube vids of so many Subaru owners (especially Forester and Crosstrek) lifting their cars and adding off road rims and tires and actually negotiating moderate Jeep trails. Never would get the benefits of that kind of stuff here in Indiana and I'm 66 now and I have not been to Colorado in some time. So happy to be back and if anyone recognizes me from me from my log in then drop me a comment. Bruce Hatfield, '98 Forester, '02 WRX wagon, '03 WRX sedan, '05 Legacy Wagon, '00 Outback and now '10 Forester 2.5X premium.
    Hi Wes, I have a 2017 A4 that I picked up in Germany and my wife recently got a new Q5. She liked the power of my A4 along with the features.
    She always thought my Impreza was underpowered, which was my excuse to replace it with the A4!
    jfl said:

Hi Wes, I have a 2017 A4 that I picked up in Germany and my wife recently got a new Q5. She liked the power of my A4 along with the features.
    She always thought my Impreza was underpowered, which was my excuse to replace it with the A4!

Well, you certainly went the right route for eliminating the "underpowered" bug. Tonight, I used the Q7 to move my 1969 Econoline van around in the driveway and back it up to the house for some mechanical work. Other than the care needed to move the rig, I might not have noticed it was even back there.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Hey, Bruce; welcome back to the "show!" The third generation Forester is my favorite of them; I wouldn't even consider anything newer than a 2013. We're fortunate that we were able to replace our beloved 2010 Forester (Premium, manual) with a "twin" 2013 when we lost it a couple years ago. But, I had to travel all the way to Illinois to get it (and I live a lot farther away than Indiana!). It isn't the 2010, but I think we're settling into it and enjoying it for itself.
    @paleo Welcome back! Glad you could rejoin us :)
  • paleopaleo Member Posts: 5
    Thanks guys, I actually had wanted a 2012 Premium with a 5 speed that I saw in Indianapolis but it was quite a bit more expensive with the same miles as the 2010 I got. I had been impressed with the 5 speed in the 2000 Outback, I had gotten it at 120,000 and the clutch and transmission remained perfect for the 6 years I had owned the car. Oh if only I had not made that left turn with it!
    paleo said:

Thanks guys, I actually had wanted a 2012 Premium with a 5 speed that I saw in Indianapolis but it was quite a bit more expensive with the same miles as the 2010 I got. I had been impressed with the 5 speed in the 2000 Outback, I had gotten it at 120,000 and the clutch and transmission remained perfect for the 6 years I had owned the car. Oh if only I had not made that left turn with it!

Yeah, I think there was a fairly noticeable value hit on the EJ25-based vehicles after the FB25s became available on the used market. However, and perhaps somewhat ironically, the early FB engines ended up with a more substantial issue than the EJs, in that many of them required block replacement due to excessive oil consumption. When they moved to the FB engine, they also included narrower oil passages and require the use of 5w-20 synthetic oil. Unfortunately, the engine's rings were not up to the task, so they had a tendency to drink their own oil at an alarmingly fast rate.

After purchasing my 2013, I ended up having the short block replaced on it last September. Thankfully, there was a class action on it who's outcome included an extended warranty for this issue.

G'day

I now post here very, very infrequently. Like many others, have moved over to FB. Nice to catch up with some family news.

Sorry to hear about the daughter study woes. I know that one as well, but daughter is now graduated and working in England, so all things pass...

Seasonal Greetings to all

Cheers

Graham

@grahampeters We'll always keep a seat at the bar open for you :)
    I got the 'oil consumption' issue with Mike's Forester last summer. Discovered at 96k that there was no oil on the dipstick and the engine was literally running almost dry between oil changes. Put in 5 quarts! My dealer was so gracious about it. Went through the 'test', like using a quart in 1,200 miles. Hit the mark at 800. They did a short block at 98k at $0 cost to us. They had the Foz in the shop for 9 days. Handed Mikey a brand new 2019 Forester Premium with 900 miles on it for the entire time, again at no cost to us. It runs like new and he is coming up on 120k with no issues so far.
    rob_m said:

I got the 'oil consumption' issue with Mike's Forester last summer. Discovered at 96k that there was no oil on the dipstick and the engine was literally running almost dry between oil changes. Put in 5 quarts! My dealer was so gracious about it. Went through the 'test', like using a quart in 1,200 miles. Hit the mark at 800. They did a short block at 98k at $0 cost to us. They had the Foz in the shop for 9 days. Handed Mikey a brand new 2019 Forester Premium with 900 miles on it for the entire time, again at no cost to us. It runs like new and he is coming up on 120k with no issues so far.

That's great, Rob! Sounds about the same as my 2013 Forester's consumption rate when I had the test done last summer. Again, same outcome except they gave me a Sienna minivan for the duration, and they had my car for 3.5 weeks! Everything's good now, though. About 85,000 miles (now).
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    edited October 2019
    Just thought I would check in out of the blue, this forum has been dormant for so long. I am glad to see some movement again. HI to everyone still contributing. I just traded my 2016 KIA Soul SX for a 2020 Soul GT-Line LTD in Snow White Pearl. First White Car ever.

Cheers Pat.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,218

Just thought I would check in out of the blue, this forum has been dormant for so long. I am glad to see some movement again. HI to everyone still contributing. I just traded my 2016 KIA Soul SX for a 2020 Soul GT-Line LTD in Snow White Pearl. First White Car ever.

Cheers Pat.

Congrats! Stop by again, soon.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Pat:

You must have been happy with the prior Soul! What were the deciding factors that drew you back for another go?
    xwesx said:

Pat:

You must have been happy with the prior Soul! What were the deciding factors that drew you back for another go?

Top safety rating, Ease of entry, good on gas, value for money, utterly reliable, resale was excellent. was a very comfortable vehicle, and lastly the funky styling.

Cheers Pat.

Cheers Pat.

Nice to see you again Pat! yea, reviving the owner's club concept. My latest ride is a white also. Get just as dirty as the one black car I ad, but don't feel the need to wash it every day ;)
    Nice Pat! White must make you crazy keeping it clean.
    rob_m said:

Somehow dirt is much less noticeable on a white car than a black car. My old white Legacy just got a uniform shade of grey and I didn't notice it was dirty.
    A black car... never again!
    Absolutely. I LOVED the look of the one black car I owned. Only way I'd ever have another black vehicle is if I hit the Powerball and can afford to have someone whose sole purpose is to hand wash it every day :)
    I do love the first black car I ever owned, my 2015 Black on Black Legacy 3.6R. That color does justice to the body lines and when it is clean, the metallic sparkle in the paint is something else. And funny, the next car I acquired for Mikey was a black 2002 bug-eye Impreza wagon.
    Key phrase... when it was clean :)
    On another note, if anyone remembers from the old chat days that I also own a 1983 Mustang GT that I bought brand new and still own. It had an 'incident' with a top of a tree landing on the roof that started a complete restoration of the outside and for the past 8 years I have been basically working on refurbishing the rest of the entire car. This summer was a new interior, done myself … seats … carpets … refinishing interior panels. I went as far as finding reproduction TRX-style 16-inch rims to replace the original 390mm metric rims that are in the cellar and so expensive to replace the rubber.

I started showing it two years ago locally and this year, moved to more regional shows. Took a Top 25 award this month with the Mustang Car Club of New England (MCCNE) and another Top 24 award with the Mustangs of Massachusetts (MoM). Very happy putting my humble little 'driver' GT with 129,000 miles against some pretty awesome Mustangs!
    Wow Rob, congrats on the awards!
    Nice job!
    edited October 2019
    rob_m said:

All Cars make me crazy when they are dirty so white makes no difference Rob. I will never again own a black car either, the last black car almost had me in a rubber room.

Cheers Pat.
    rob_m said:

On another note, if anyone remembers from the old chat days that I also own a 1983 Mustang GT that I bought brand new and still own. It had an 'incident' with a top of a tree landing on the roof that started a complete restoration of the outside and for the past 8 years I have been basically working on refurbishing the rest of the entire car. This summer was a new interior, done myself … seats … carpets … refinishing interior panels. I went as far as finding reproduction TRX-style 16-inch rims to replace the original 390mm metric rims that are in the cellar and so expensive to replace the rubber.

I started showing it two years ago locally and this year, moved to more regional shows. Took a Top 25 award this month with the Mustang Car Club of New England (MCCNE) and another Top 24 award with the Mustangs of Massachusetts (MoM). Very happy putting my humble little 'driver' GT with 129,000 miles against some pretty awesome Mustangs!

Beautiful looking car Rob, and congrats on the showing and the awards.

Cheers Pat.

rob_m said:

All Cars make me crazy when they are dirty so white makes no difference Rob. I will never again own a black car either, the last black car almost had me in a rubber room.

Cheers Pat.
    Living in a rural setting, surrounded by farms, there's almost no time of year when something isn't being deposited on our cars :(

It's either pollen season, or some fields are being plowed and there's dust in the air, or it's snowing and there's the road salt...There MIGHT be a Tuesday in late June when we get a break!
    Yes, that is pretty much how it is here, too. I wash mine at least annually so that I can offer them some wax for finish protection. Otherwise, dirty is just a way of life.
    edited December 2019
    My Burnished Bronze Forester looks clean, even when it is filthy (which is most of the time). :smile:

Congrats Pat on the new ride.
    We are now getting sloppy winter weather,so I am now getting a taste of a dirty car which I hate. All in all the white is no harder to keep clean than any other colour I have owned. I do my best to stay on top of it but we all know in winter it is a losing battle. Sucks to be really anal about my car.

Cheers Pat.
    That's how it goes around here too Pat. We're getting into "all cars are grey" season :)

It feels like my white car gets just as dirty as my black one did, but it felt like it showed WAY sooner on the black and I felt like washing it ALL the time
    We also have YELLOW season here amongst the farms when the pollen is flying thick and heavy
    I just go with "I don't give a damn" season. It is year-round festivities for me! :D
    edited December 2019
    xwesx said:

I just go with "I don't give a damn" season. It is year-round festivities for me! :D

I would love to be able to do that, but a dirty car just drives me round the bend. Then I drive my poor wife nuts moaning about it until I can get it washed, I tell you it's a sickness.

Cheers Pat.
    I did the winter detailing recently; wash, polish, two coats of wax. The cordless buffer made it a lot easier. Looked good for about two days.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,154
    edited December 2019
    I'll wash our Outback once every month or two during the winter. Of course, I'm only putting about 300-400 miles a month on it...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I run mine through the car wash periodically in the winter, but not often. Typically after a run to Anchorage, because they tend to get a lot of salt grime in the SouthCentral Alaska area.

It's too cold for that here.
    If It is mild enough I will give mine a two bucket wash, otherwise I take it to a detail shop about five minutes from home and get it hand washed about once a week during winter.

Cheers Pat.