Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    It was parked outside of Rallyspec (Lucien??). I almost got my Outback wacked as I braked to check it out. It was a real beauty. It's a shame it was so early and they were not open yet. I'd love check it out running.

Patti
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Ok, it's not bleeding edge technology, but try getting it fixed down the road say in 10 years? Trust me, after going through hell with my air-struts, you want nothing to do with funky systems that aren't main-stream based. :)

-mike
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Was that a new '02 STi, or an earlier version?

Bob
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Colin: but the RS was a small portion of the total production figures. Heck, so was the entire Impreza line, which the Forester outsold 3 to 1! Any most of those are autos, as Ken said.

In fact, I had to visit 3 dealer just to find a 5 speed Forester back in 1998, and the one I purchased from had to ship it in from out of town! Now the balance is better.

CVTs could be interesting, but developing one that could handle the WRX's torque would take a lot of development dollars away from the 2.5l turbo, H6 variants, etc.

Bring back the Justy! ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    about shifting gears. Not sure if I would like a constant drum from the engine which wouldn't change rpm (for the most part). More gears in current trannies aproaches CVT, doesn't it, but with more fun. Digital sampling approaching analogue,....oops, sorry.
  • Options
    sorry for the spelling
  • Options
    francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    All the CVT talk is due to Audi introducing one in the A4. They call it the Multitronic. It's really quite a technological feat; anyone interested should check it out here.

Two interesting advances since the Justy days: 1) ways to handle more power through a CVT; 2) greatly advanced computer/electronic control. The Audi folks claim to basically be able to make their CVT pretend to be whatever you want it to be. Want it to "shift gears"? No problem. Want it to "shift" with a jerk? Sure thing. Want "sporting ratios"? Got 'em right here. Want it to run as smooth as a locomotive? Well, it does that by nature. All in all, it is a major achievement and a considerable advance in transmission techology.

Especially if it works ;-) I agree with paisan, plus I'm a cheapskate, which means I'm going to let other people be the guinea pigs for that transmission. At the same time I'm going to keep a keen eye on it.

Cheers,
    -wdb
  • Options
    A CVT that kept the engine at its torque peak could performe like a champ. Imagine at autocross!?

Still, we're talking big bucks to develop it. VW charges $1100 for its automatic tranny, so let's see what the CVT costs.

-juice
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    No doubt it's a small portion. Here's a repost of a thread on the iClub with data from one of the SOA CSRs.

> I have the production numbers that you were looking for. They are as
    > follows:
    >
    > '98 Impreza RS Coupe 5-speed - 995 units
    > '98 Impreza RS Coupe automatic - 685 units
    > '98 Impreza RS Coupes - 1,680 units
    >
    > '99 Impreza RS Coupe 5-speed - 1,795 units
    > '99 Impreza RS Coupe automatic - 345 units
    > '99 Impreza RS Coupes - 2,140 units
    >
    > '00 Impreza RS Coupe 5-speed - 2,375 units
    > '00 Impreza RS Coupe automatic - 535 units
    > '00 Impreza RS Coupes - 2,910 units
    >
    > '00 Impreza RS Sedan 5-speed - 1,636 units
    > '00 Impreza RS Sedan automatic - 1,574 units
    > '00 Impreza RS Sedans - 3,210 units
    >
    > '00 Impreza RS models - 6,120 units
    >
    > '01 Impreza RS Coupe 5-speed - 1,701 units
    > '01 Impreza RS Coupe automatic - 324 units
    > '01 Impreza RS Coupes - 2,025 units
    >
    > '01 Impreza RS Sedan 5-speed - 1,057 units
    > '01 Impreza RS Sedan automatic - 1,011 units
    > '01 Impreza RS Sedans - 2,068 units
    >
    > '01 Impreza RS models - 4,093 units
    >
    > We do not have production numbers available by options or by color. I
    > hope that this information is helpful. Best wishes!!
    >
    > John J. Mergen
    > Subaru of America, Inc.

Look at that, when the RS sedan arrived in 2000 they made an overwhelming number of the coupes 5spds and the sedans were close to 50/50.

So perhaps there are a lot of automatic WRXs, since SOA's previous working knowledge was coupe=5MT, sedan=4EAT and obviously there aren't any more coupes. The obvious issue though is that someone who would rather have a coupe but is going to buy a WRX no matter what is probably one of those who also only wants the 5MT.

-Colin
    (btw the iClub thread is here unless anyone is curious.)
  • Options
    Wow, sedans outsold the coupe. That's surprising.

-juice
  • Options
    It's not surprising, they sold what was brought into the country. If you bring more sedans, you'll sell more sedans.

This data alone doesn't provide a meaningful indicator of whether the customers really wanted a coupe or a sedan.

-Colin
  • Options
    Well, one would hope they would adjust production after a month or two's worth of feedback from the dealers.

At i Club meets, there is usually only one sedan and a dozen coupes. That's why I am surprised.

-juice
  • Options
    beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Ugh, the dreaded CVT. I'm getting old, we are all getting old. "Back in my day, we had to shift ourselves, and it actually was faster than the automatics at the time!" Have the distinct feeling I'm gonna feel like the muscle car/carbed crowd of today.

-Beanboy
  • Options
    ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    on the roads, u see more 2000/2001 sedans compared to similar year models.
    Notice how manuals outsells the autos by a giant margin for coupes while the autos and manuals are about the same for sedans? Hmm....
  • Options
    Beanboy, I love musclecars but now I want to put programmable fuel injection on them. Carburetors suck for daily driven vehicles.

-Colin
  • Options
    kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    Go check www.thecarconnection.com and the new GM chasis that the Saturn S-series and other GM cars will be based on is possibly going to have a CVT auto as well...

BTW, I heard that they tested CVT on a Indy car or something, and it consisantly ran the lap 2 seconds faster than the manual... Could you imagine what we could do with tunning something like that? Make it so it pumps out 5000 rpms constantly, then change it with a click of a button to 2000rpms, or up to even 7000rpms :D This would be MUCH more fun and dynamic than shifting ever could be!
  • Options
    pattim3pattim3 Member Posts: 533
    I'm not sure. When I braked quickly, I rattled the driver behind me - ooppss - I thought a quick right would really do us in. I'm going to try and check it out better this morning.

Patti
  • Options
    Nostalgia fogs the memory. You really want to have to pull the choke and wait 'til she warms up every day? Why stop there? Bring back the crank starters! ;-)

Fact is, today's cars rock. The WRX blows away most of the cars we dreamed of owning back in the day, and is safer, three times as efficient, and handles far better than the Porsches of the era.

I've ridden in a 12 second big-block Camaro, but you smell major fumes in the passenger seat, heat radiates past the fire wall and roasts your toes, it idles more or less as smooth as an earthquake, and it sounds like a bad sequel to the Texas chainsaw massacre with the volume on full blast.

In other words, it's a hoot!

-juice
  • Options
    francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    The scariest American hot rod machine I ever rode in was a hemi Roadrunner outfitted to run moonshine. Blue 2-door, steel wheels with big-*ss NASCAR rubber on all four corners, automatic transmission. You know how most American cars in the 60's and 70's had all kinds of room under the hood? Not this puppy; those hemi heads were humongous. When the driver held down the brake and pressed the gas pedal, the entire car flexed. I was waiting for the windshield to pop right out. Drum brakes on all 4 corners too. Like I said, scary.

Cheers,
    -wdb
  • Options
    i learned how to drive on a 40hp Datsun something with 4 drums! I don't think it ever reach 60mph.... ah well.
  • Options
    originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    I sold my wild ride last summer and bought my GT wagon:

http://www.bitman.com/topo/

Unfortunately I never got to experience any ride in it other than being pushed in and out of the garage by my wife. Learned my lesson jumping into such a major project having never done a street rod before. 10 years and way too much cash. Some day I will wish I still had it.

bit

• Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    The Forester gets a rest today as spring is in the air and time to wake the Studebaker from its hibernation. Out into the garage, check all fluids both in and under the car. Yes, pull that choke and wait for it to warm up. 112hp out of an OHV inline 6 sporting a 1-barrel Carter RBS carb, pulling a car about the size and weight of a Chevy Lumina. Drums on all four corners, no power anything. Push button AM radio. No A/C but a good heater. Radial whitewalls the sole concession to modernity.

I stick to the surface streets; even though I can cruise at 55-60 I can't keep up with the maniacs doing 75-80+ on US 1 nor can I stop as fast as they can. Still they smile and wave as they blow by. A bright spot of nostalgia in another bustling modern day.

It's supposed to rain tomorrow. Out comes the Subaru again.

Ed
  • Options
    I learned to drive in a rust-bucket Chevette that had no floor board. If it stalled, you could use your feet like Fred Flintstone!

Ed: you can't get that kind of attention with a new Subie, that's for sure. (well, a WRX while it's still new, maybe...)

-juice
  • Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    Hi Bob! I got a better look this morning. It's not a 2k2. It was really a very nice looking ride. Oh, for a test drive.....

Patti
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    My brother had just purchased a 68' Plymouth GTX - 440 w/ 6-2brl carbs and he got drafted into the Army. He handed me the keys before he left. What a rediculous thing to give a 17 yr old. I don't remember how many H.P. that thing had but it was the only car I've ever driven that I was afraid of. When you floored it from a dead stop, it would literaly go all over the road. You couldn't control the damn thing. It's amazing I'm here to talk about it.
    - hutch
  • Options
    4 door, with straight six, single carb, 4 wheel drum. Oh and it was light green!
  • Options
    My dad had one of the big block Z28s with the screaming chicken on the hood and a T-top. That was the beginning of the end of the "good old days".

-juice
  • Options
    originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    Wasn't that the TransAM?
  • Options
    Yep, and it was probably the Pontiac 406, not really a big block. (If you see one next to a big block chevy, it's a totally different animal.)

-Colin
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    '77 Trans Am 6.6l w/Bandit Edition

I'd love to find one in good condition, but they are few and far between. Smokey and The Bandit is my favorite movie, I think i'm the only one who has it on DVD :)

-mike
  • Options
    Well, no, his was a Z28. It was a wild maroon, with the 3 stripes down the side with the "Z28" logo. I thought it had a chicken on it, but maybe I'm guilty of a little nostalgia myself.

I really loved that T-top as a kid.

-juice
  • Options
    wow, looks like i am the only bloke to learn how to drive on an import. hahahaha.... and what a crappy import it was. i'm gonna go look for the pic. u'll laugh. it's not much better than a 360. Really!
  • Options
    Well, given I learned in Brazil, that Chevette was an import to me.

-juice
  • Options
    Alwin-- I learned on an '85 Mazda RX-7 GSL. My first car too.

-Colin
  • Options
    yellowbikedonyellowbikedon Member Posts: 228
    Boy, what a bunch of youngsters! I learned on my dad's '38 Plymouth sedan!

Don
  • Options
    I'm not far behind you. I learned to drive on my uncle's '41 Chevy farm truck, when I was 12. God, we're old—but not in spirit! ;)

Bob
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I learned on a 76' Olds Starfire GT complete w/a Borg-warner 5spd in a racing shift pattern. It was capped off w/an aftermarket hurst shifter. This was mated to the 3.8 v6. We bought this in 78'from a guy in my dad's unit. The guy was going to turbo it but decided to get a new Trans Am instead. The car was sweet looking in bright yellow w/black rocker panel and hood stripes. It also had aftermarket black rear louvers and a black Playboy Bunny decal on the rear decklid. A Stebro (sp?) sport twin exhaust completed the picture. I had fun borrowing this car from my mom in high school. She used to call it the "yellow fart" because of its burbling when you let off the gas. It surprised many at impromptu stoplight races in Panama (Canal Zone).

Stephen
  • Options
    big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I learned to drive in a 1972 FWD Subaru Sedan. Not much get up and go but put some snow tires on the beast and I could go anywhere . . . as long as I didn't get high centered :)
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    oh yes, I learned on a 1960 Plymouth Valiant standard of course. It was the newest and smallest car my family ever had.

Ross
  • Options
    wmiller4wmiller4 Member Posts: 97
    a 1967 Camaro convertible. Candy Apple Red with a white power top.
    Small block 350 ci V8 bored out .030 with an aluminum semi high-rise intake manifold topped with a 650 cfm 4 barrel (vacum secondary, single pumper) Holly Carb. 4 speed M-20 "Son of Rock Crusher" Muncie transmission. That car would pass anything on the highway but a gas station! And that is the main reason I got rid of it! (sigh) Memories........
  • Options
    jeijei Member Posts: 143
    I learned on a '65 Valiant coupe with the 170 cu. in. slant six. My dad had bought it from Avis when it was a year old; a former lease car. It had been a semi-fleet car, with upgraded trim, tires and suspension. Wasn't especially fast out of the hole, but handled better than most of my friends' cars. - I could run the twisty back roads of North Jersey with the best of them, without attracting undue attention from the local boys in blue. Ah nostalgia.

John
  • Options
    soon2bsubeesoon2bsubee Member Posts: 137
    I learned to drive on my dad's 1963 Rambler 440 Sedan..folding seats turned the car into a bed(nudge,nudge, wink, wink)
  • Options
    thors_hammerthors_hammer Member Posts: 32
    I hate to be rude, but I don't think a 1963 Rambler 440, a '65 Valiant, or a '67 Camaro are future Subaru models.

How about a Legacy Sedan with an H6?

-Bryan
  • Options
    leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    anyone know if there is a suggested price on this truck?

Leo
  • Options
    gotenks243gotenks243 Member Posts: 116
    Hmm... since this is the "Future Models" thread, I guess I'll put this here.

My local dealer has the color charts in for all the 2002 Subarus now. There's some interesting color stuff on the Legacys. First off, all of them, including the Outbacks, are getting a new red called Regatta Red. It looks very similar to the Sedona Red on the Imprezas. The Legacy Ls and GTs are getting a new silver, while the Pearl White that was only on 6 Cylinder OBs last year is now the only Outback white (the Ls and GTs keep the same old "Aspen White" though). The only cloth Outback with dark gray seats now is the Deep Sapphire Pearl, all the others get beige. Also, two different colors of GT Limiteds will now come with beige leather instead of black leather, Regatta Red and (I think) Timberline Green.

Not that it's important...

Mike
  • Options
    amishraamishra Member Posts: 367
    It's important to me!! (When I get back from England I'd like another Subaru. When I first bought my 2000 Outback, I was annoyed that there was no silver color available. Looks like I'll be driving a GT). Thanks mike!
  • Options
    to debut at NY Auto Show. No surprise here. No mention of an LL Bean sedan though. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the '02 Forester, even though it wasn't mentioned.

Other debuts of interest (to me) are the Acura RSX (production version), the MB G-Wagon (MB's "official" US version), the Honda Civic Si hatchback, Mitsubishi Evo VII (WRX competitor), the Jaguar X-Type AWD sedan, and (hopefully) a Jeep Liberty that we can finally sit in.

Bob

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010406/nyf001e.html
  • Options
    FrankMcFrankMc Member Posts: 228
    Foresters, is there anyone who knows when they will be available? I looked on the Website on Friday and the download brochure is still the '01's. Just interested. (I am also interested in colors since my wife doesn't like beige interiors... it isn't the end of the world but one more factor I am interested in)

Frank
  • Options
    My guess is sometime within the next month. But it's just a guess.

Bob
  • Options
    hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Another OT "first drive" post, then back to the business at hand...

Dad had a '61 +/- Valiant... red, 3-speed floor shift... I was 5 or 6 at the time, and it was our first "second car".. he used to let me help him shift :)

Wow... another trip, stumble & fall down memory lane...

Cheers!
    Paul