Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Honda went soft because they realized profit is more important to them than making the very best car in each class. They can charge more for a luxurious RSX so they do. Most owners won't even realize the double-wishbones are gone.

Paul - you could always have it legally changed, or name your kid Dave. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    Colors for Forester 2002

I saw a new color chart at Subaru Santa Cruz. It looks like Forester 2002 will have most of Impreza colors, sans Blaze Yellow and WR Blue. Silvethorn will be replaced with Platinum Silver. Black will be available on S+ model only (???). As in 2001, S+ will be available only in red, black, silver and white. Red will come with beige interior, the rest of S+ will be with grey interior. The grey and beige leather will be available as a factory-installed option.

As reported earlier, cladding is changing from Titanium Pearl to Greystone Silver. On pictures, Greystone looks distinctly more greyish and silverish as opposed to golden look of Titanium, but I heard that "in person" they look really close.

I briefly scanned the Ouback colors, and it looks like it's losing Winestone for year 2002. Too bad, that Winestone, coupled with Titanium pearl was so gorgeous...
  • Options
    Too bad, I liked both Silverthorn and Winestone. My dad's car in Winestone.

A Blaze Yellow Forester would be hilarious, but a turbo would be a must.

-juice
  • Options
    Question to Patti, re: Subaru colors

what ever happened to that nice Ice Blue Metallic that many Loyales/GL/DL wagons had? I guess 1992 was the last year this color was available from Subaru. From what I see on old wagons, this color holds up pretty well, so it was not a durability issue with the paint, I guess.

--Kate
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    What??? No Winestone for 2002? I guess you just made my decision very easy. I was considering waiting for 2002 to purchase our OB. I will be visiting the dealers this week to tie up a deal. Thanks Kate for the tip. We love the Winestone.

-Greg
  • Options
    theobtheob Member Posts: 148
    Re: 2002 VDC Sedan
    Saw a reference in one of the reviews to a "VDC OFF" switch for "deep snow conditions". Is that a tacit admission by Subaru that the VDC won't work well in deep snow? Will they be retrofitting existing units with a switch or new software to fix it if that is the case?
    Enquiring minds want to know!
    Theo
  • Options
    ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    Hello,
    It's been a while since I posted here. I was actually bumming around at some international Suby BBS. anyhow I notice that Foresters exists in 250hp versions!!!!! ZOINKS! Is this true? Any Forester connoisseur here? Juicemon?
  • Options
    amishraamishra Member Posts: 367
    okay Ramon, I give .. what flag do you have today?
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm moving to Japan to buy a 240hp Forester Turbo like Steve Suzuki has.

Can you imagine? Swee-heat!

-juice
  • Options
    so our North American Foresters are the wimpiest variant?! =() arrrghhh!!!!
  • Options
    Not quite. They have a 2.0l N/A with something like 125hp in latin america, but at least they can buy a Forester GT with 168hp (and plenty of good torque) too.

However - those get a low range!

-juice
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    NY show report

Subaru
    • '02 Outback H-6 VDC sedan is wearing Bridgestone Protenzas, and no longer Firestone Wilderness. Same size tire as last year.

• VDC models now have an on/off switch for the VDC. A number of folks had wished for this feature.

• The US-rally WRX (on display) is NOT the same as used overseas. Instead, it is just a modified road car. It has the HID headlamps from the [non-permissible content removed]-WRX (boy they look good!). It was wearing 205/65x15 (you read that size correctly) Pirelli P Zeros. Boy, those tires sure have an aggressive tread pattern. Picked up a brochure on Subaru's history in rallying. It's an interesting read.

• Had a nice chat with our friend Omar from the Philly show. He remembered me (or our group).

• Big crowds around the WRXs, and most Subarus on display. They had some nice cut-aways of the WRX engine, body and H-6 engine on display. Foresters were 2001 models, not '02s.

Others
    • Biggest surprise for me was the new Nissan Altma. Get this: It's now the size of an Accord or Camry. It comes with either a 180 HP 2.5L four—or a 240 HP 3.5L V6! It's as big (and more powerful) than the Maxima! It's also great looking to boot! It also comes with xenon headlights—a first in this price range. Subaru needs to up the ante with both the 2.5 H-4 and the H-6 to remain competitive. My request for a 3.5 H-6 now seems reasonable, if not prudent.

Infiniti also introduced a 250 HP (10 more than the Altima) 3.5 I-35 , which replaces the I-30. The question is: What's going to happen to the Maxima? Reports are it too will receive a power boost in a few months.

• The Evo VII also looked good. In fact, IMO, it's a better looking car than the WRX. It's coming in about a year.

• The new Audi A-4 now has a wheelbase that matches the Legacy, comes with a 220 HP 3.0 engine, a 6-speed manual, and looks better than the A-6. Supposedly it will start around $30K. The new A-4 (FWD, not AWD) has an optional CVT that can handle the 220 HP V6 too. The Quattros stay with the 5-speed tip-tronic as an option.

• The new AWD Jag X-Type also will start around $30K. It's also available with either a 5-speed manual or a 5-speed automatic, in either the 2.5 or 3.0 V6s.

• There were a couple of really interesting (and good looking) Volvo concepts on display.

• Acura's RSX looks even better in person, than in the pictures. The headlights are similar to the S2000, in that the fender pulls back pretty sharply. Yep, they've got the duel lower blips that are found on several new cars, including the '02 Acura TL. Visually the package works (for me). The overall look is full of current styling cues that Acura is now using. It's now clearly part of the Acura "family," unlike the old Integra. The 2.0L, 200 HP S-Type should go for around $25K, and that comes with a 6-speed only. The regular RSX comes with a 160 HP 2.0L, and is available with a 5-speed manual or a 5-speed Sport-Shift automatic.

• Loved the Civic Si hatchback. It's got a 160 HP 1.6L engine. This car was originally designed specifically for the European market, and is in fact built in the UK. That explains why this is such a bold design for Honda. The Europeans are much more receptive to radical design than Americans. We won this time!

• Loved the Mini. I was able to sit in one. The guy who followed me, was about 6'8" and he managed to squeeze inside. The car's a hoot! Great "fun" colors. If BMW can screw these things together right, it will be as popular as the new Beetle There was a huge crowd around the 2 or 3 they had on display. These will be sold through MinI franchises, like any other brand. You can bet many BMW dealers will be getting franchises. The guy I spoke to said there would be 70 dealers throughout the country, which doesn't sound like much at all. Prices are supposed to start around $18K, and go up to around $25K.

• Loved the Mazda 4-door RX-8 rotory-engine sports coupe. I'm convinced the 4-door (w/2 suicide doors) sport coupe is a great idea. Just wish it were AWD.

• Mercedes had their new S600 V-12 sedan on display. I was surprised that they let people sit in it. Mercedes also had the G500 Geländewagen there. The G-wagon brochure was an application to enter the fictitious "Cameroon-Timbuktu" Rally. It was a great concept for a brochure.

• Speaking of big-buck-rides: There were Aston Martins, Ferraris, Lotus, Lamborginis, Panoz, Saleen, Rolls Royces & Bentleys (all roped off) and other exotics I can't remember.

Bottom Line
    Subaru has got their work cut out for them. There's a lot of great looking new (FWD & AWD) cars now in all the price/market segments Subaru is pursuing.

Bob
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    quote: Loved the Civic Si hatchback. It's got a 160 HP 1.6L engine. This car was originally designed specifically for the European market, and is in fact built in the UK. That explains why this is such a bold design for Honda. The Europeans are much more receptive to radical design than Americans. We won this time!

That engine debuted (in north america) in the 1994 del Sol VTEC, same horsepower. It's going to take more to impress me. And no wonder it looks like a Focus-- it was built to compete against them in the European market!

-Colin
  • Options
    scarwafscarwaf Member Posts: 33
    On the cuttoff switch for the 2002 vdc, do you think I can get one installed on my 2001 vdc? Does anyone out there know about this? Bobby
  • Options
    kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    The altima isnt as big as the Maxima, not even close! (check the messurements again)

Too bad its FWD :(

Personally, the RS-X and Civic Si are VERY bland designs... Nothing aspiring what so ever, very conservitive like the Civic models and the new CL... And why get the above $20k RS-X base model when you can get the Si with the same engine for $18K? Doesnt make sense!
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I just had a closer look at the new Mitsubishi Lancer Evo and I have to agree with Bob that it's a better looking car than the WRX. It really excited me in a way that the WRX didn't really, and for just minute or so (before I came to my senses ;-)), I even contemplated looking at one a lot closer! Of course, we have to build a few Mitsubishi dealerships first! There are none in Canada as of yet, but should be by the end of this year.

If it is offered in N.America, and I suspect that it will eventually, Subaru has its work cut out! Bob, is it a sure thing that it's going to be offered? Or is that "in a year" statement just a rumour? BTW juice, the Evo's headlamps also incorporate projector HID Xenon low beams, in addition to the high beams, and driving/foglamps.

These were the pictures that caught my attention:
    http://auto.ascii24.com/auto24/e/2001/0207/evop_img/evos26.jpg

http://auto.ascii24.com/auto24/e/2001/0207/evop_img/evos16.jpg (Active suspension setup? - Tarmac/Gravel/Snow)

http://auto.ascii24.com/auto24/e/2001/0207/evop_img/evos10.jpg

http://auto.ascii24.com/auto24/e/2001/0207/evop_img/evo18.jpg

http://auto.ascii24.com/auto24/e/2001/0207/evop_img/evos18.jpg (Active Centre Differential; check out the mirror folding button, paisan!)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    Honda's problem isn't hp, it's torque. I've even heard some frustrated owners call them "torqueless wonders".

Bob: thanks for the update. Do you recall if the Potenzas on the VDC were the same size as the Wilderness tires? i.e. 225/60HR16.

You gotta love the subjectiveness of auto styling...

I hate the new Lancer. Awful. The old one is a supermodel in comparison. Its eyes are too wide and straight. Minus the EVO decorations, it's just an ugly econobox to my eyes. I like the seats and the centered tachnometer, but again these are probably EVO details.

The new Civic is OK, but doesn't stand out at all.

The RSX is completely derivative. It looks like what the Insight should have looked like, with the headlights copying Toyota at the top (Celica) and BMW at the bottom (3 series). Nothing original on it at all.

The Altima looks good on paper. I'd like to see how they manage torque steer, though.

-juice
  • Options
    <<That engine debuted (in north america) in the 1994 del Sol VTEC, same horsepower. It's going to take more to impress me. And no wonder it looks like a Focus-- it was built to compete against them in the European market!>>

True. It appears to be a lot lower than the Focus. I think it resembles the last generation Civic hatchback more than it does the Focus.

<<The altima isnt as big as the Maxima, not even close! (check the messurements again)>>

According to one report I just read ( I don't remember the source) it's actually LARGER than the current Maxima.

Bob
  • Options
    I think paisan is my long lost brother... not only we share an aversion to the Blue Oval cars, but we both like boxy-shaped SUVs and admire 80s aut styling!
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    could be....

I also have an early model subie like you do...

Stranger things have happened!

Down with Blue Oval!! Must fight Big Blue, oh wait I like macs too...

-mike
  • Options
    Yeah, the new Altima was something like 191.5" long! Wow!

paisan: do you like Aztec jokes? If so, you're twins!

-juice
  • Options
    Aztec = BUTT Ugly!

-mike ;)
  • Options
    Say hi to your long-lost twin, separated at birth! ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    EVO VII & Civic Si

Drew- IMHO, I think the front of the EVo VII and the WRX are about a draw. From the "A" pillar back&#151;and especially from the rear, I think the EVO is a much better looking car. It's also on a longer 102" wheelbase, so the rear passenger room is probably better than that of the WRX. Having said that, I'd still probably buy the WRX, if only because I support Subaru's near 100% AWD product commitment, which Mitsu doesn't do.

kostamojen2- As for the Civic Si vs the base RSX: yes, they put out the same 160 HP, but the Si uses a 1600cc engine, whereas the RSX uses a 2000cc engine. Therefore I would think the RSX has a better/wider powerband.

Bob
  • Options
    I'm surprised Mitsu would offer only the basic Lancer and the the EVO. We're talking a hp jump from 125 to 280, with nothing between!

These will be niche vehicles, almost a niche within a niche. It'll be interesting to see who buys these.

-juice
  • Options
    Thought the new Si is a 1.8l engine. it now has 130lb-ft for TQ. One thing that Honda has is that it light relatively speaking.
  • Options
    Ramon- I thought it was still a 1.6. I could be wrong. I do know it's not a 2.0.

Bob
  • Options
    miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    Cool links Drew, thanks. Lancer is based on the Cedia. Is there a North American equivalent?

Speaking of Evo, Mark Wan's AutoZine has returned. He likes Lancer Evolution VII GSR over Subaru Impreza WRX . WRX in detail is here ; he starts with the base Impreza, as "it's my policy to describe every car no matter interesting or boring."

Here are two links: Mitsubishi Motors and Evolution VII PDF. What a goldmine of technical specs! Too bad FHI doesn't have the resources to create a similar PDF for the WRC and WRX.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Wait - base Civics have a 1.7l now. Maybe the Si is still 1.6l? Remember, it's the Euro one, so small engines are the rule.

The Lancer was the Mirage here, but now the name has changed to match most other markets. It's been the Lancer all along in South America.

True, Mistu has far more resources. They probably saved billions by covering up all those recalls for years and years!

-juice
  • Options
    Not quite, Mitsubishi is actually tens (possibly hundreds) of billions of yen in debt.

Unsurprisingly Daimler wishes to return them to profitability soon. I am very surprised the marketing arm was able to convince the powers that be to show the Evo7 at the NY autoshow, because it would take a miracle to get such a low volume (and thus very likely unprofitable-- they aren't Porsche) car into the US.

-Colin
  • Options
    The new Civic Si does indeed have a 2.0 engine, and it's probably the same as the base engine as is in the new Acura RSX.

Bob

http://www.honda2001.com/civicsi/index.html
  • Options
    if the new civic si shares the same engine as the RSX and the RSX Type S had 200hp, then I'm sure with a few cam mods, a civic Si can reach 200hp! oh boy! oh boy!
  • Options
    While you're at it, don't forget to replace the tranny with the 6-speed from the S-Type too. :)

Bob
  • Options
    hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Juice - no more kids. I'm a much calmer pet now.

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    Most Civic owners won't get cams - they'll just get yellow stickers! Much cheaper!

-juice
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
  • Options
    miksmi Apr 17, 2001 9:31am

These were super links, especially the 32-page PDF. Thanks!

Bob
  • Options
    mus tnot forget the 6spd tranny. and the Type S stickers. hehehehe...
  • Options
    kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    Guys, I dont spurt out stuff im not really sure about... I read the Honda/Acura web sites after checking here at edmunds, autoshowny.com, and thecarconnection.com before realizing that the RS-X and new Si did indeed both have the 2.0l engine :P

BTW, has anyone realized that the RS-X has crysler styled headlights?! =^o

And I really dont like the new Lancer, its got a HUGE cabin area that looks FUNKY even on the Evo with the wing and stuff... It looks VERY disproportionate, like the Echo :(
    Meanwhile, the Impreza has perfect proportions and looks EXTREMLY mean on the road :D I like mean!
  • Options
    2002 altima is sporting a v6 3.5l engine producisn 240hp!!! base altimas will have 180hp which is what powers the SE_R spec V (is it pronouced as Spec Vee or Spec Five?)
  • Options
    I agree. The new Lancer looks toy-like. Too much glass for the body's size. And the front headlights are HUGE!

I thought the RSX's lights look like a cross between the Celica and the BMW 3 series. Either way, totally derivative.

The new Impreza has a presence on the road. Like it or not, you will notice it. The front end sure does look aggressive. I prefer the wagon's tail, personally.

Altima is still FWD, that's the catch. Wonder how well it'll put the power down. It's supposed to get big though.

-juice
  • Options
    theobtheob Member Posts: 148
    Was wondering if anyone has seen Subaru's line on why they added a VDC-Off switch?
  • Options
    Probably demand from the press. They always beg for them, even if it means slamming into snow banks, a la Car & Driver.

-juice
  • Options
    FrankMcFrankMc Member Posts: 228
    I've noticed that gas around here jumped .20 a gallon over the last week or two. I also saw a report of over $2 a gallon in Chicago. The same report mentioned that the gas prices might spike as high as $3 this summer. If something like this actually happens it should negatively impact SUV sales, (and kill used SUV prices). I wonder if that would then spur manufacturers to move engine sizes down instead of up!
    Frank
  • Options
    Do you think that $2 or $3 a gallon will actually effect someone who is buying a $30-$50K vehicle? It won't phase them one bit, IMHO.
    -mike
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    I never cease to be amazed by how dumb the American public truly is. I'm old enough to remember the gas lines of the mid 70's. For a few years after that, you couldn't give away a V8 powered vehicle.

Nothing has changed regarding our dependance on Ariab oil .. but people, for the last few years, can't get enough of the "Yank Tanks". Oil shortages and or high prices are comming. If it happens now or later .. it's gonna happen.

Partially, I blame the Government for not having an energy policy. We're sitting ducks waiting to be shot!
    - hutch
    ps - light hearted stuff .. huh ?
  • Options
    I think you're mistaken. Many people buying new cars up to $50k or so are living beyond their means-- even moreso for those leasing $30k-$50k. I think statistically speaking you don't get into large percentages of people who wouldn't be affected by a large gas price increase until you get in the $50k-80k range and up.

-colin
  • Options
    FrankMcFrankMc Member Posts: 228
    more than the new one. (Now you don't need 30K) I admit that it is more psychological than anything else. One of my buddies at work told me that his aunt had a one year old Explorer that she hated "because it used too much gas", and was going to sell it. The amazing part was that 6 or 7 years ago she did the same thing (had an Explorer and sold it because of the gas mileage), bought a car and then traded it in for another SUV. Why was she surprised at the gas cost? After you sink the money into the SUV the gas cost penalty is minor (as paisan stated) in relation to money you sunk into the SUV to start with. I'm not saying that people are rational, but I do remember some sweet deals on used V-8 cars in the 70's. I just think that the negative publicity of high gas prices would cause people to pay more attention to gas consumption, which I would contend would cause some people to choose something else (or keep their current ride)
  • Options
    Maybe it will kill the perifory(sp?) people from buying SUVs, but I know that I'm not gonna give mine up even if it goes to $5/gal. Of course I do try to use my XT6 when I can to save on gas $ :) There is plenty of oil, the US actually has a lot of oil in it's possesions and Alaska and TX. The problem is that it is still cheaper to buy it overseas. Also I've read that $.70-$.90/gal are actually government taxes on gas!!!!

-mike
  • Options
    I was watching TLC (God bless TLC) and it was showing how US would have enuf oil to supply the nation for 50 years on a continuous use basis should the earth's oil resource is depleted. Wow..... i wonder how about dear O Canada. Our Home and native land....true patriot love... yada yada la la la.... =)