Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Santa Fe 2007+

Comments

• Options
    new2dieselnew2diesel Member Posts: 148
    All I can say is WOW! This vehicle is mooth, quiet, economical, and built very well. I hate to use the word value because it is more than just a value, but IT IS A GREAT VALUE. I drove ll the Suv's in the class and can tell you nothing came close. This is incredible vehicle. Hyundai has a real winner if this vehicle holds up like I expect it will.

The only thing I think Hyundai could have done better would be to include floor mats. They really didn't cut corners anywhere so why scrimp by not putting $40 (cost) floor mats in? Oh well, if that is all the missed that is awesome!

I am already getting highway mileage in the mid 20's with just 200 miles on it. I bet upper 20's will be common with tires at 37-40lbs and a broken in engine.

Arumage, they are dealing on these new Santa Fe's - no need to wait. You should be able to get $2000 off of sticker with a little good negotiating. You can also get the color you want by having the dealer locate the vehicle somewhere else and having them deliver. These things are hot - get one now!
    :D
  • Options
    jpanozzo1jpanozzo1 Member Posts: 50
    In regards to earlier posts about 0 to 60 times for the 3.3. Quote from Canadian article in link below. 100 km/h is about 62 mph. They tested a 3.3 with a AWD so allowing for the heavier weigh of AWD and lower 0 to 60, the 3.3 might nip at either very low 10 or high 9 going from 0 to 60. Slower than even I thought but still ok.

This was the first article I read where they tested 0 to 60. Seems if you want speed get a RAV, but the SF is quieter and a more likely family choice. If I had a RAV, I couldn't keep my foot out of it and MPG would suffer.

The 3.3 with all-wheel drive allows for slightly quicker accelerations: 0-100 km/h in 10.3 seconds and 80-120 km/h passing times of 7.3 seconds.

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,HYUNDAI.spy?artid=66224&pg=1

Joe in Texarkana
  • Options
    jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Congrats.

I agree about the price. The 2007 Santa Fe can currently be had at a $2000 discount depending on your region.
  • Options
    arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    I saw a 0-60 time on this site's review of 8.7 seconds, but I don't think it was an AWD model. I don't think AWD should slow it down that much though. Edmunds tested their 0-60 in the shiftronic mode, shifting up at about 6000rpms. That might make the difference.

Full Test: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe
  • Options
    berniedgberniedg Member Posts: 54
    I can remember reading 8.7sec 0-60mph time for the 3.3FWD.
    Maybe shiftronic will knock a couple of tenths off that.
  • Options
    Sweet! Now if I could just get money to grow on trees I'd be set. :P The wife's only a part-time college professor right now at a small college, and I inherited her college loans so I'll probably be more in the market for a 2008. :cry:
  • Options
    bp25bp25 Member Posts: 11
  • Options
    The Edmunds test IS better news. :) Closer to the low 8s I estimated. Why the big difference between the two reviews for 0 to 60 times is hard to tell, but your right regarding Shiftronic application. Thanks for the update. Several other future road tests to follow, through auto mags especially. However the last post before this one was from the UK with slower times, they really need to learn how the Shiftronic works!!

Joe in Texarkana
  • Options
    The only thing that puzzles me is why it shifts up in Shiftronic mode automatically before redline. I think if it would go to redline before shifting, you might be able to shave a few tenths of of that 0-60 time. It doesn't really matter to me though.

On a side note, there's some word out there that the Santa Fe, Sonata, Entourage, and Azera could see a 6-speed automatic in next year's models. Hyundai is developing that transmission in-house right now. There is also some word out about the 2.2L diesel making it stateside in a couple of years.
  • Options
    I don't think I can wait a couple of years for the diesel. I hope Jeep sells a ton of diesels, Hyundai and others will be watching their sales numbers.
    Apparently Hyundai has some experience in this arena !
    http://hyundaiengine.com/index.html

On an unrelated subject: Check out Honda !! As most of us here, do. A new HondaJet. Kudos.
  • Options
    mike_belknapmike_belknap Member Posts: 378
    Well, I do know that the VeraCruz will have a six-speed manumatic for its 3.8, so it actually would make a lot of sense for Hyundai to start installing it across the board on all Lambda-equipped models. As for the VGT diesel, I've heard that rumor for a while -- I hope it's true, as it seems a lot of folks in NA would rather have that than the 2.0 in the Tucson or the 2.7 in the Santa Fe.

Mike
  • Options
    dbrosdbros Member Posts: 81
    I have driven shiftronic transmissions before like the Pontiac G6, Mazda 6 and etc. they usually automatically shifts up before you reach the rpm redline, that's how they were engineered to hasten transmission problems with the manufacturer. It's really different than a manual transmission.
  • Options
    I have ebben to the websites and seen the Santa Fe Common Rail Diesel in Action. This would be a great vehicle to have. The challenge as Jeep is finding out (and I just personally found out) is that a good diesel in Europe is not a good diesel in America. We have much tougher emmisiions standards and much worse fuel. In 9 months with the diesel Jeep I had turbo problems, a bad glow plug, and a blown transmission. This is why I am now in a Hyundai. I would go back to a RELIABLE turbo diesel in a second if Hyundai came out with a reliable US model. Does anyone have any idea what kind of MPG the turbo diesel Santa Fe gets?
  • Options
    The Jeep Liberty had a super noisy Italian sourced diesel. The new diesel going in the Jeep Grand Cherokee is straight from Mercedes. If I converted the numbers correctly, people were getting an average in mixed driving of 28mpg, but I could be doing "fuzzy math". It's about 150hp and 250lbs of torque. They are trying to increase that diesel motor's redline about 1000rpms to deliver more power too.
  • Options
    It would just be nice if it shifted up at or near the redline instead of well below the redline (a little more than 500rpms), not that I would be really doing that anyway if I could avoid it.
  • Options
    tjlovelltjlovell Member Posts: 13
    I hate to tell you, but my floor mats were included. They are not cheap either. Embroidered with the nice corded edge, oversized, nice. I like them so much, I bought $20.00 grey rubber ones to cover them when it is raining or my kids ride. Hey, I have to protect my investment here. Seriously though, they are nice too. Sorry yours didn't come with them.
  • Options
    Heres the Hyundai diesel review, I posted previously.
    http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU0607/S00137.htm

Nice torque number, and 37 to 47MPG(Imperial) urban driving.
    Oil is going to $100 per barrel, Sooner rather than later.
    Hyundai: You caught up, now show leadership !
  • Options
    lv2drvlv2drv Member Posts: 132
    Did you buy your SF in Houma? You didn't have to go to Baton Rouge or Lafayette? At one time I would have said New Orleans, but I'm not sure much is open there? If you had to go to BR or Laf, will that bother you when it comes time for service. That would be the biggest drawback for me since we live two hours from the nearest dealer.

Would this deter anyone else from buying so far away from a dealer?
  • Options
    jcspohrjcspohr Member Posts: 97
    Anyone see any Santa Fe's with the 7 seat Touring option show up their dealer yet?

I was tolb by two dealers in this area, Southern IL area, that they would start arriving around the end of July to first week of August.

Seen any?
  • Options
    graycargraycar Member Posts: 11
    Test drove a limited today. I was very impressed. It was a demo that had 1K miles on it.

The drive consisted of city streets, interstate, and a very rough paved county road that gravel trucks use.

This vehicle handled it all very well. I couldn't believe the way it took the roughness out of that terrible county road. No bouncing, no rattles, yet it did not feel floaty either. I told the salesman that it rode as good as my wife's RX-350 Lexus. Did I just say that?

The only negative that I could feel was a small pause when I would goose it from a stop. The salesman told me it was the drive by wire.

Did I buy? No, but if I can sell my 2005 Tundra for a decent price, I will.
  • Options
    Yes, I bought it in Houma. Well the dealership is Hyundai of Houma even though they are located in Thibodaux. They are moving to Houma in January. The drive there didn't bother me but N.O. would. I live 60 miles south of N.O. I wanted a Saturn Vue in the beginning and that is what deterred me from that. I am glad though, my SF is nicer.
  • Options
    benben2006benben2006 Member Posts: 4
    I am in Canada. Looking at AWD and leather/sunroof. But it is not available. The next choice will be AWD or FWD+leather/sunroof. Any suggestions? Specially, does AWD make big difference during winter?

Thx

Ben in Canada
  • Options
    depends, where you live.
    I have been driving 25 years, living GTA area, skiing every winter weekend at Georgian bay in the snow belt, and not needed AWD. Also, see a previous poster who traded Jeep Liberty for FWD SF.
    Good tires makes a huge difference. My Michelin Harmonys, pull through 8" of snow, easy !
    The new SF has ESC, and a bunch of other acronyms that will keep you safe, from yourself, don't worry.
    On other hand, Honda will not even sell a Pilot up here that is not AWD. Sorry, they are not extracting the extra cash from me.
  • Options
    hben37hben37 Member Posts: 3
    I got mine 2 weeks ago, for the most part I am happy, so far.
    My two gripes are these: No Floor Mats (they had to be ordered separately for $115) and no front courtesy lights, which I did not notice until the following night I got it. I am not too impressed with the mileage either, but I think it's too soon to really tell.
  • Options
    reoname1reoname1 Member Posts: 6
    What do you mean by front courtesy lights?
    Is that the overhead light that goes on when you open the drivers front door?
  • Options
    hben37hben37 Member Posts: 3
    Right, it has the "map" lights, that you turn on manually, but no lights that turn on when the doors are opened. As I said, this is for the front area, the rear seat is very well lit up. Some cars have those to illuminate the floor as well.
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Does anyone know anything about the Santa Fe's off road abilities? I realize that this isn't a Hummer- or even a Jeep, but the Rav4 offers a way to lock the center differential when the going gets tough. Does the SF offer this? Or have some type of system to sense and lock up the differential (like, let's say, the B9 tribeca?)
  • Options
    jveneziajvenezia Member Posts: 85
    Yes, the AWD Santa Fe has a switch located on the lower instrument panel to the left of the steering wheel to lock the vehicle in a 50/50 AWD mode for really lousy road conditions. It would be good for snow and mud or sand. Hyundai was smart enough to have it automatically start to shut off at around 20 mph, and then shut totally off somewhere before 30 mph. That's a self-preservation technique to keep the differential from being damaged.

Otherwise, all reviews I have read stated that the Santa Fe is not much of an off-road vehicle without low-range gearing. It's designed for pavement or gravel roads, which is what I have near where I live.
  • Options
    westcoaster3westcoaster3 Member Posts: 1
    You should contact the Service Department of Hyundai and ask about the floor mats. When they delivered mine I didn't find them anywhere in my vehicle. Then I check the brochure and found that the floor mats are included for all Santa Fe trims (2.7, GL 3.3 so on)... I called Hyundai Canada Customer Service and they told me to go back to the dealer and they reassure that the dealer should had given me the floor mats in first place. I went back there, showed the manager in charge of the dealer the brochure and after some discussion I mentioned I have talked already to Hyundai's Customer service and finally they handed me out the floor mats.

You may want to check the web site and look for the specifications. Each car comes from factory with its respective floor mats.
  • Options
    subarufan1subarufan1 Member Posts: 85
    can someone tell me how the engine was? how is the power, do you think its plenty for driving around town and than off to the high mountains(7000 ft and up)? also is this considered a compact suv or a midsize suv like an pathfinder.looking to replace my 2000 land rover discovery series 2 hopefully its cargo capacity is similar :P also this is the first hyundai thats really got my considering the brand, it looks like a real winner so far.
  • Options
    I'm not sure where hben37 is from, but here in the US, floor mats are indeed optional: $95 for 5-passenger units; $115 for 7-passenger units.

Mike
  • Options
    I personally thought the 3.3 I tested had plenty of oomph. It's not the fastest vehicle in its class (that'd be the RAV4 V6), but motivation was quite healthy overall and the transmission is smooth.

One thing though: I'm from Texas and I tested the vehicle in Louisiana, so I don't know how performance will be at high altitudes.

Mike
  • Options
    subarufan1subarufan1 Member Posts: 85
    thank you for your info regarding power but could you shed some light on cargo space compared to the honda pilot? they are roughly the same class right? or would i need to wait for the mesa/veracruz to get similar space thanks
  • Options
    Mine came with floor mats herein Louisiana. Never was an issue. They were in it when I picked it up three weeks ago.
  • Options
    musky1gfmmusky1gfm Member Posts: 36
    Looking for someone who own's or test drove a 07 Limited with the InfinityLogic7 audio/DVD system.
    I'm considering it,but it's a pricey upgrade,like $2300 invoice more than just the sun-roof.Realize it also has power passenger seat,etc.
    Wondering what people thought of it?Maybe Mike B can help. :confuse:
  • Options
    rsm333rsm333 Member Posts: 29
    Not even close..on paper, the Pilot has about 10 cu ft more cargo space (with rear seats folded) but it feels like more to me.
  • Options
    Actually, it's about 14 cu ft more, and more than 20 cu ft behind the first row. If you opt for the 3rd row, the Pilot has about 5 cu ft more behind the 3rd row. These vehicles really aren't in the same class though. The Santa Fe is more in the class with the Rav4 and CR-V. The upcoming Veracruz is in the Pilot's class, and GM's Outlook/Acadia/Enclave (the same length as the new Tahoe at 202 inches)and Mazda's CX-9 (200 inches) that are coming out are even bigger than all of them.
  • Options
    Yeah, the two units that I saw each came with floors mats -- but they were extra cost ($95).

Mike
  • Options
    Are you asking if it's worth the extra cost to get the upgrades?

I haven't tested a Limited myself, so my only knowledge of it is on paper (photos, reviews, etc.). Truly, those are some nice upgrades, but individuals with personal experience in that trim might be able to better help on the particulars at this point.

Sorry 'bout that.... :(

Mike
  • Options
    jimsistjimsist Member Posts: 62
    bought a 05 santa fe the floor mats and rear cover was all standard along with net and first aid kit. now on the 2007 the floor mats are exter along with the cover for the rear and no first aid.seems to me why have it standard 1n 05 06 and charge for them now in 07.as far as the quality sence its made in the usa you woill find problems that you wouild not find in=korea.seems that we are just likeing in that area.have driven serveral 07 from gls sa to the ls and found something wrong on eac :cry: h and everyone.
  • Options
    Like rsm333 and arumage were saying, the Pilot does have notably more cargo space, as it rather borders between the midsize and fullsize SUV classes. The VeraCruz will definitely be more inline with the Pilot in terms of cargo space. The luggage boot behind the 3rd-row of seats will still be relatively small, as the size increases were made mainly to maximize 2nd- and 3rd-row space/comfort and overall cargo volume. All exterior dimensions were also notably increased compared to the Santa Fe, and the styling is sleek (for an SUV) and entirely unique to the vehicle.

Mike
  • Options
    lv2drvlv2drv Member Posts: 132
    I really think I am between a rock and a hard place here in Iowa. Within 14 miles of our home, we have 2 car dealerships. Both have all the American cars. Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Mercury, GMC, etc. Within 50 miles, we add those vehicles, plus Honda and Toyota. As I've said before, to get a SF, I would have to go either 2 hours north or east, or 3 hours south. Is it worth it to buy a SF when I would have to go so far for service. The only other vehicles I would consider are the Compass (maybe a little to small) or the Envoy (a little too big). I know the Envoy is a nice vehicle, but overpriced IMO. Would someone please advise on how to handle this. I really have my heart set on a SF, but if it's totally stupid to get one from so far away, save me before I do it. Thanks!
  • Options
    You would only need to go to the dealer for warranty service. Any other routine, non-warranty service could be done by someone with the proper equipment. I understand you problem though. The closest Hyundai dealer is about 1hr from me, but so are all the other import dealers. We only have the American car dealers in town.
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    The area where i live has almost every company within 10 miles. 2 honda, 1 caddilac/hummer, 3 toyota/scion, 1 lexus, 1 volvo, 1 kia, 1 hyundai, 1 audi, 2 infiniti,1 jaguar, 1 land rover, 2 Ford(1lincoln mercury), 1 saab, 1 volvo, 1 Bmw/mini, 3 nissan, 2 vw, 2 acura, 1 GMC pontiac, 1 mitsubishi, 1 Isuzu, 1 suzuki, 2 mazda, 1 chevy, 1 saturn, 3 dodge/jeep/chrysler, and 2 carmax. Theres even more but i only decided to name a few. I do wish a Mercedes Benz, volvo, and saburu dealerships were closer. The Audi, Saab, Jaguar and Porsche are all on one lot but towards the outskirts.

I LOVE MY TOWN!!

-Cj :shades:
  • Options
    Since you are so proud of your town maybe you could tell the rest of us where it's at. The competition must be fierce and good for the consumer. ;)

Joe in Texarkana
  • Options
    leeh2leeh2 Member Posts: 5
    Is there a towing package for the 2007 Limited . I cannot seem to get an answer from the dealer. They do say they can put on a hitch for $650............. WOW
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Check out this site:

Hitches Online

They show a hitch for the 07 Santa Fe for about $125 and shipping. It is supposedly a bolt-in installation. ;)
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    south miami, Fl!! I guessing by Texakana, you live in texas. I like it because if you were looking for an 07 camry, you price one, take it to the other dealer up the street and they'll give you a lower price and then repeat and an o7 camry xle can be had for $21k. :)

33157- try for yourself
    -Cj :shades:
  • Options
    Hey, over 1200 miles, not exactly around the block :cry: I have a dealer here, but will likely end up in Shreveport or Dallas for a better deal. Thanks

Joe in Texarkana
  • Options
    I took my first road trip in my 07 SF 2.7 GLS FWD automatic. The trip was 150 each way. I now have 600 miles on the vehicle. MPG going down was 28.5 and coming back was 26.5. Wind and traffic were worse coming back. Speed was between 65 -70 most of the time. I could be happier. I suspect you will see some vehicles hitting 30mpg on the highway once they break in. Loved the ride! Very quiet. I continue to be impressed by this vehicle. The only thing that didn't seem right was the range calculation on the on board computer, It said the range when full was about 350 miles. At 25 mpg it should be over 500 miles. Anyone understand why it is so far off? Not that it really matters. The MPG numbers I quoted were taken off the on board computer.

Did anyone resolve the floor mat issue? Iwas told you have to purchase them separately at the dealership.