Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GM News, New Models and Market Share

Comments

• Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I still think it'd have been a good value.

I agree.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    Does your Cobalt model have the side airbags?

I've been comparing Cruze, Malibu, Accord, Corolla, Camry online. I see $500 customer rebate for the Cruze. Similar for the Verano.

Corolla (with lower gas mileage than Cruze 1.4T and equal Verano 2.5 engine) has $1000, 750, 500 in a cluster of varied rebates AND a $750 or 500 incentive to the dealer, which they can share or not share with the buyer. Looks to me like toyota is pushing lots of cash on the hood. Haven't yet checked the camry prices, but don't particular like it's strange taillights. If I wanted strange, I'd look at Sonata.

Looks to me like GM is not putting much rebate out there, contrary to what some a few on this discussion try to portray. I was hoping I might find a good deal on a vehicle for a replacement for one of my chariots.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    You did not mention one single brand that was below Chevrolet on that list. Those are models, too, that are continually mentioned as better-than-GM on this forum. Please report findings and post here as well. And no 'cherry picking' please.

No, I went through GM's small to midsized cars, and then I looked at Ford's midsized car similar to Malibu (Fusion), and then I looked at the top two import brands' small to midsizers which compete with Malibu. I didn't look to cherry pick brands worse than GM, as I sort of figured that GM would want to compare to the main competition rather than to compare to who might be *even worse*. Are you trying to prove they are good, or just not the worst? :confuse:

The Cruze has improved to 'average' for 2012...this is all CR.

Well I have the latest buying report, one month old, and I didn't see that listed. Perhaps you can point me to the page that I missed.

I personally agree with you on the styling of the new Fusion.

Still, we started by talking Malibu's declining sales. I mentioned that one reason could be poor reputation, which you refuted. My point was that Malibu in general, and Chevy in particular, don't have a good reputation among a lot of buyers, for solid reasons, and I shared data to support that conclusion. I pointed out why the reputation continues to be poor among some buyers, with even recent data. Even JD Power says that reliablity an extremely important consideration in buying decisions, and Chevy's mainstream auto reliablities are not very good vs. their main competition.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The 2008 Malibu was available in four-cylinder and V6 versions, one with a four-speed trans and the other with a six-speed. The results make no differentiation at all for that. Those are two hugely different, large components of the car.

Consumer Reports does differentiate those.

Do you even have a copy of the data or are you making this up?
  • Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,114
    edited January 2013
    I thumb through the various issues of CR on the newsstand. The one I last looked through, a couple of weeks ago, had the Focus at the bottom of problems in that size class...they had cars listed by a block like 'compacts', with a black bar left of center or a red (I think) bar right of center, for their 'better than/average/worse than' rating". That information is tabulated and trickles out in newsstand issues and Buyer's Guides prior to the April issue. Come to think of it, the latest newsstand issue I saw had 'how much people like their cars' in it. The one I recall right now is the Mazda 6 was at the bottom of that size class, which surprised me by how great I hear Mazdas are here on this forum from at least one poster.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Today's Akron Beacon-Journal, full-page Ganley Ford ad:

"New 2013 Focus, up to 25% off MSRP!"

"New 2013 Fusion, up to 20% off MSRP!"

That's a weird way to advertise, instead of "$3,000 Rebate" or the like, unless it varies on which trim level, I don't know.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    Does your Cobalt model have the side airbags?

Yes it does...on the "A" pillars and on the "C" pillars, right behind the rear doors.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Do you even have a copy of the data or are you making this up?

I'm discussing the information YOU posted from J.D. Power. CR doesn't post their information online without paying for it.

Perhaps you can show me the 4 vs. V6 data I missed from YOUR link.

Don't know if you saw it or not, since you made no mention of it, but the Power info I posted was for 2009 cars in 2012, not new 2012 models like you said it was.
  • Options
    I was telling you about CR differentiating. My links were to the JDP information, not CR information. I think you made an error in referring to CR rather than JDP, which you are correct did not differentiate. CR does.
  • Options
    If you tell me that last April's CR has a different chart for V6 and 4 Malibus, I'll state here that I'm wrong. I don't remember it that way, though, not that that means anything!
  • Options
    If you tell me that last April's CR has a different chart for V6 and 4 Malibus, I'll state here that I'm wrong. I don't remember it that way, though, not that that means anything!

The latest Annual Buying Issue from Dec 2012 includes used car reliablity and they break out the v6 vs 4cyl Malibus, as I indicated.
  • Options
    bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Last April's CR had a different chart for V6 and i4 Malibus. Whenever there's a significant delta between different engine choices or trims of a vehicle CR differentiates them, as far as I know.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    OK, I'll take your word for that. I don't remember seeing that. But then, I was probably more focused on fours since that's what I have. The Buying Guide merely reprints the April info, correct, so I'm assuming the Buyer's Guide shows two separate charts for Malibus, four and six?

But back to the original post...tlong's posting of Powers does not have any breakdown, and that specifically was what I was posting in regards to. CR, I have other issues with as have been well-documented here previously. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I think you made an error in referring to CR rather than JDP, which you are correct did not differentiate.

I think you're pretending that I didn't say 'JDP' in that post as well, and that is the only info you provided a link to.

Please confirm that my original JDP data posted here was for 2009 models, not new 2012 models as you had erroneously posted, and that Subaru, Nissan, Kia, M-B, BMW, Mazda, Infiniti, and VW owners show more problems than Chevrolets of that same model year according to that data, anyway.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Meant to ask you earlier, bpizzuti, can you provide a link to all the dealers you said the other day that showed new Captivas in stock? I can't seem to find any when I look at dealers. ;)
  • Options
    Just go to www.idontknowhowtouseasearchengine.com :P
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Uh, yeah, OK, whatever you say, buddy.

I'm calling BS....again.
  • Options
    busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Today's Akron Beacon-Journal, full-page Ganley Ford ad:

"New 2013 Focus, up to 25% off MSRP!"

"New 2013 Fusion, up to 20% off MSRP!"

Yes, I see crap like that in both newspaper, radio and TV ads. Some go up to 5 digit discounts, such as "up to $15,000 off on SELECT models". I've never gone by one of these dealerships that advertise like this to investigate, but I'd like to one day just to see THE vehicle with the huge discount.

From my perspective, these ads must be aimed solely at the "uninformed". Seems that most of the dealerships that do it around here change hands an awful lot...
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ...., can you provide a link to all the dealers you said the other day that showed new Captivas in stock? I can't seem to find any when I look at dealers.

Here's one...

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=12304&endYear=2- - - 014&modelCode1=CHECAPS&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&makeCode1=CHEV&listingTy- - - pe=new&listingTypes=new&searchRadius=100&mmt=%5BCHEV%5BCHECAPS%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D- - - &listingId=328573076&listingIndex=2&Log=0

Denooyer Chevrolet, Albany NY.

New 2012 Chevrolet Captiva Sport 2WD LS
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    That's not brand new. It's a "certified" vehicle. I think they are sold brand new to fleets only so they don't cut into Equinox sales.
  • Options
    I think you're pretending that I didn't say 'JDP' in that post as well, and that is the only info you provided a link to.

You referred to BOTH JDP and CR in your post, then said "they" didn't differentiate between 4 and 6 cyl. So you were ambiguous with your use of "they" (it wasn't clear which of the companies, or both, "they" referred to) and I pointed out that CR DID differentiate those engines. And I also agreed that JDP did not. Yet you still did try to say that didn't do that in a nearly one year old April issue of which you had a recollection from a newsstand - a recollection that another poster has corrected.

Please confirm that my original JDP data posted here was for 2009 models, not new 2012 models as you had erroneously posted..

I did not post that it was for 2012 models, but I did erroneously say it was for initial quality, which was in the headline of your posted article. Deeper in the article it became clear that the article was actually about 3 year old dependability.

"...and that Subaru, Nissan, Kia, M-B, BMW, Mazda, Infiniti, and VW owners show more problems than Chevrolets of that same model year according to that data, anyway."

I'll take you word on that - but the start of the entire thread was about Chevy having a poor reputation in some consumer's minds, which of course is why they aren't as competitive against the top sellers against the Malibu, the car we were discussing in particular. That's why I compared to Ford, Toyota, and Honda data as those are the most competitive vehicles and top sellers vs. the Malibu.

I think my original point still stands. Malibu sales are likely negatively impacted by lower brand reputation of Chevy.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2013
    I haven't paid much attention to this argument over the weeks (months?) but that's a bit of difference between a Captiva and a Captiva Sport. Aka, the Saturn Vue or GMC Terrain for the Sport depending on country of sale. The Sport is the Captiva MaXX in Oz I guess, from looking at Wikipedia. It's a more expensive flavor than the Holden Captiva.

In other GM news, my wife noted tonight that she liked the looks of the Spark. This from the woman who didn't care for the Fit at all.
  • Options
    In other GM news, my wife noted tonight that she liked the looks of the Spark. This from the woman who didn't care for the Fit at all.

I'm a bit surprised at how many they've sold, as I honestly don't remember seeing even one here in SoCal. They must be selling them, unless they're largely fleet or only being sold in the midwest. I think I'd notice one if it was around.

I've even seen some Volts although they're not very common.
  • Options
    I've seen more Sparks than Veloster Turbos on my commute. Which I find pretty surprising actually.

Something like two Sparks. Zero Veloster Turbos.
  • Options
    I saw a lime green Spark today. I like Chevys, but I simply can't like that car. But I realize they are not marketing that car to 54 year olds.
  • Options
    "That's not brand new. It's a "certified" vehicle. I think they are sold brand new to fleets only so they don't cut into Equinox sales."

All I have to go on is that the listing says its a new vehicle with 2 miles.

What kind of certification is needed on a vehicle with only 2 miles, I wonder...
  • Options
    They must be selling them, unless they're largely fleet or only being sold in the midwest.

I've only noticed one down in Toledo back in November. The valet guy hated it (he was a bit tall).
  • Options
    I find the Captiva far better looking on the outside than the Equinox, which looks big and trucklike to me. Although I have no idea what they're like inside.
  • Options
    Only the Uplander Certification That It Is New certification. That was created specifically so that uplanderguy can declare himself to be right whenever he is proven wrong. :shades:

Personally I think they should sell it more widely. It does look better than the Equinox. Looks more compact too, the Equinox is on the big side for a "Compact" SUV.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I didn't say it was 'certified', someone else did. Why would a new vehicle be advertised as 'certified'? We all know that you can't go into your local Chevy dealer and find one in inventory for retail purchase. It's time to stop pretending you can, bpizzuti...just like pretending that the SS is 'special order'.

It is a wonderful thing to be able to say you're wrong when you are. I wish more here would do that.

tlong, can you kindly confirm that the CR Buyer's Guide has a separate chart for reliability of V6 Malibu, than the 4 cyl. Malibu. It should, since it's just a repeat of the April issue. I haven't seen that confirmed yet. Thank you in advance...really.
  • Options
    IMO, I think GM may be on to something in making an attempt to keep separate models for fleet sales .vs. general sales.

I don't know if the general public will accept the differentiation as enough of a difference between a fleet vehicle and an individual vehicle, but the idea isn't new to GM. How many cars has GM marketed over the years that were 99% the same, just with a different grill, tail lights and emblem?

It might be a great (and inexpensive) way to keep the stigma of fleet sales from affecting the "general population" of vehicles. Or, maybe not...
  • Options
    Hasn't worked yet, GM has always reserved the "Chevy Classic" nameplate as "fleet only," but everyone knew that it was really a certain model, and that model got dragged down.

Given that the Captiva is really a Saturn Vue, the Vue would probably be being dragged down. Except it's probably not physically possible to drag it down further. ;)

I do see some logic for something that will only ever be fleet, a nameplate or even a brand. Except not many outside of the Crown Vic have been what you might call "successful." Remember Checker? London Cab is in trouble too.

On the other hand, rather than shutting down Saturn, they could have made Saturn the "Fleet Division." I think that would have been worthwhile.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    The 2013 CR buyer's guide is confirmed to have ratings on both the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder Malibus separately.

Both get a lot of black dots from 2009 and older, which tells me right off the bat GM is still building cars to fall completely apart after the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty expires.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    On the other hand, rather than shutting down Saturn, they could have made Saturn the "Fleet Division." I think that would have been worthwhile.

If they hadn't shut down Saturn, they'd have to mollify the dealers somehow - I wonder how many would have lasted just doing fleet sales? GM still wound up with a fleet vehicle and all they mostly did was change the badging and drop some engine choices that the Vue had.
  • Options
    tlong, can you kindly confirm that the CR Buyer's Guide has a separate chart for reliability of V6 Malibu, than the 4 cyl. Malibu. It should, since it's just a repeat of the April issue. I haven't seen that confirmed yet. Thank you in advance...really.

Yes, the 4 and 6 cyls are listed separately. That's the publication I meant when I said Dec 2012, since it comes out in place of the normal magazine every Dec.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    What are the overall ratings? Don't they also have a rating for 'cost'? How 'bout 2009 Audis, VW's, Subarus, Infinitis, M-B's, BMW's, Minis, Mazdas, and Nissans? Just curious how closely CR correlates to JDP.
  • Options
    tlong, do you subscribe? If so, you didn't see the two issues I saw recently, one showing the Focus to be least reliable in its class and the Mazda 6 the least-'liked' car by owners in its class?
  • Options
    Just got a mailer from GM card. They are 'topping off' my current earnings to $2K right now, for any remaining 2012 or new 2013 GM models...with one exception.

The Camaro ZL1.

Man, they can't give those things away. ;)
  • Options
    Just got back from the store. The CR on the stands now is called "Best and Worst Cars" and features reliability charts through 2012 models. The 2012 Focus is much worse than average. The 2012 Cruze is average. The 2011 Malibu is better-than-average (what we have). Same year Fusion is average.

There is no Malibu V6 chart, but I'll concede that is probably because there is no longer a new V6 Malibu to buy.

As usual (and IMHO only), the overall charts are all over the place. Black one year, red the next, for years I know place of manufacture and major componentry didn't change. Late-model Suburban, worse than average. Late-model Tahoe, better than average. We can argue it all day (and I won't), but I can't believe there's that much componentry, or even body, differences between the two to account for a two-notch difference.

As Andre smartly pointed out once, and I agree...the variations from year-to-year aren't necessarily the difference in that car from year-to-year, but compared to all cars in a given model year. I don't think it's necessarily promoted much as that, but that seems very logical.
  • Options
    The argument about CR's methodology is like feeling the elephant for the blind man. They don't release enough data for their convenience questionnaire upon which their dots are based. They don't release their criteria for half-black, open, red, half-red, because they base it on relativity, without the basis upon which the physics world bases theirs. So if they have a 6-cylinder Malibu separation, upon which how many Malibu alleged owners reported? And how random is the sample of the people giving data?

Arguing CR is like arguing about the Bengals, or politics. Enjoy the read and put in some common sense into the reading and parsing of the information.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I don't hate it...I look it at and find it interesting, same as car rags reviews, and it's nice when they agree with me...but if they don't, I still buy based on what I want, instead of 'so and so said it's really great'. But I do chuckle (and have through the years) at how their info is pretty-much presented as 'hard fact' and how people often take it as just that.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I was listening to a "car repair" show on radio in Columbus. I hadn't heard it before on Saturday morning and they took a few callers. One was asking about backing in the calipers on his Accura rear brakes. The show "expert" made a crack about they require a special tool and they don't work like those GM brake calipers in a denigrating choice of wording, delivery, and tone of voice.

What's hilarious is that my old 03 GM has calipers on the rear where the piston screws in and out, probably just like his beloved Accura's rear brakes. The expert was someone associated with Germaine Acura or Honda store in Columbus. The show was mostly oriented around doing commercials for the Honda/Acura store compared to the typical car repair call in radio show in the area.

What's worse, is he showed his ignorance about GM vehicles. He was working off a stereotype of ignorance. Perceptions change slowly, but is continued to be in the dark ages by comments such as his. The perception of Hondas in the 90s by a car mechanic doing a radio show here was that their engines were BIC engines. Throw them away, don't try to do major rebuild repair after they have been used a while. But the car public was much more forgiving over the engine problems with worn cylinders Honda has. Now it's VCM causing oil use due to damage in one cylinder, or brake wear, or transmissions not engineered properly in Hondas for the last 15 years.

Would you buy a CVT tranny in your new Honda Accord? That's all they offer in what I saw looking at their models recently. If Honda were treated to the same stereotypical ridicule of their shortcomings from the past by people now, their sales of the continuous tranmission would be reason not buy. But instead Honda is given a relative "pass" by most as the perfect car company selling perfect cars of reliability such that only the one background lightbulb in a radio goes out in the first 8 years of ownership. Ridiculous. :sick:

Same for toyota. :sick:

Some here actually have an ability to compartmentalize the past and the present and discuss what's good for GM and market share (on topic). Or we can live in the world of the Honda folks running a call in show in a major metro area who still live in the ridicule of GM world sounding like a comedian doing a standup with old stereotypes like Chris Pebble or whatever his name is ;) .

GM has several vehicles I'm willing to consider. I need to sit again in the rear of a Malibu. Since the legroom rating is larger compared to others and it's the visual appearance in the rear that may be the problem, I want to see how long the rear cushion is. That may leave the open space appearing short, but still leave adequate legroom for most average height folks because the cushion has not been foreshortened. AS I see mid-sized vehicles travel by me, I rarely see anyone in the rear seat, so legroom in rear may not be a factor. I can't recall seeing 4 adults in a mid-sizer going somewhere. Those buyers probably have SUVs. The criticism of the rear seat Malibu is not as meaningful to most buyers as the critics might want it to be. When's the last time Motor Trend or Car and Driver tested the performance of a mid-size car with 4 people in it while testing G-forces in slaloms and 0-60 times? ...the things they seem to hold important.

• Options
    The 2012 Focus is much worse than average.

Is that worse in reliability or are they dinging it for the telematics?
  • Options
    That was overall--the bottom of the column for all the various components of the car, apparently compared to other 2012 cars.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Hm, lousy JD Power initial quality reviews too. But our Identifix reliability ratings through '09 are excellent. And we say that "the 2013 Ford Focus stands as one of the best small cars you can buy."

I guess we're back to the age old CR argument that Imidazol97 refers to; are the bottom cars really significantly worse than the top rated ones or are we talking decimal points?
  • Options
    Steve, good point. I have to think the differences aren't as dramatic as decades ago might have been.
  • Options
    That reminds me, I saw significantly more broken down cars on the side of the road on our 2,100 mile Christmas road trip than I usually do. Can only guess that it was due to the cold weather. Lots were domestics but this is the Midwest. Did see an Audi getting flat-towed, but that could have been a dealer swap deal.

I can't identify cars worth a hoot in Mystery Car Pix much less going 70 down the Interstate, but I noticed a couple of Caravans, a couple of big vans, probably Econolines and lots of sedans. Some likely were GMs. :shades: Should have kept score; bet there were 15 or 20 on the shoulder. Quite a few had been sitting long enough to have cop stickers on them.
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    I have to think the differences aren't as dramatic as decades ago might have been.

They're not. Nowadays, I think the only rating that really needs to raise a red flag is "much worse than average". Cars have gotten so good these days that CR actually changed the "worse than average" rating to "fair"

As for the ratings, the overall rating that they list at the bottom is relative to other cars, but the individual component ratings (engine, trans, body, brakes, etc) are based on what percentage of respondents have problems.

So, a car could score "better than average" in every single rating, but still get a bad overall rating, if most other cars scored "much better than average".

For the individual ratings, last time I looked, the breakdown was something like this:
    0-3% failure rate: Much Better than Average
    3-5%: Better than Average
    5-9%: Average
    9-14%: Fair (formerly known as "worse than average")
    14%+ Much worse than average.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    GM card. They are 'topping off' my current earnings to $2K right now, for any remaining 2012 or new 2013 GM models...with one exception.

The Camaro ZL1.

That's why any credit card with real cash back is 100 times better than those cards with ultra restrictive "rewards" for every purchase you make. No one can refuse legal tender legally, which is why it's always 100 times better.

With a cash back card you could apply the $2K to a Camaro ZL1, for example.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Do any cards give 5% back? I don't know. That's what I get on a GM card. I've probably used $5 grand or more off over the years on new cars.