Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

2009-2010 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• choe13choe13 Posts: 348
    I just read the car and driver march mid size sedan comparison and i just laughed because of dumb criterias like "got to have it" factors the sonata was placed 4th. It scored the highest along with the accord on factors that really matter in a midsize car such as driving manners, value, interior, trunk space etc totals at 81 points, in the powertrain department only 2 pts off the accord and altima at 41 compared to 43 and had alot of 7's in the handling department compared to the accord and altimas 8's. But if you take out the dumb criterias such as gotto have it factors the sonata actually tied for third with the the malibu with just altima and accord just merely ahead

Car and driver imo is too biased on performance critereas which these cars shouldn't pretend they are; sports sedans. Does it matter greatly a family midsize can nail a pilon test or go 0-60 in 6 seconds?? Who drives like that in these cars must get real and buy a real sports car.

Simple truth is that if meaninful critereas of what a family car should embody such as quiet ride, decent performance, safety, space, trunk space, back space, value are placed higher than pure performances critereas without the ridiculous got to have it factor also the sonata would have won or been top two.

I've seen the altima crumble under crash test(who wants to drive this car??), feel hondas ride is too stiff and interior way too crazy, the malibu not ready in the quality department to place the

Sonata first
    Accord second
    Malibu Third
    Camry Fourth
    Altima fifth
    Fusion 6th
    Avenger 7th
  • Anybody see the GLS interior before? all the picture i seen are Limited Ed. with Navigation.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Some dealerships have them already:

http://forums.thecarlounge.com/zerothread?id=3666691&page=2

The details are outstanding!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,922
    I actually like the exterior of the GLS better than that of the Limited--less chrome. Looks like the wheel covers are carry-over from '08. Even the base dash looks sharp!
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    I see it's under the armrest.

Edmunds.com has the pricing up for the 2009 Sonata, and it shows Bluetooth as being a $325 option.

There are price increases for 2009, so that for example the base GLS with AT starts at $19,995 including destination. Still less than Accord or Camry, or a comparably-equipped Malibu, but getting closer to those cars in price. Interesting strategy on Hyundai's part. I guess we'll soon see how far the brand has come.
    I hope it's not a mistake since there is no reference to bluetooth on any of Hyundai's official info and I hope it isn't a Hyundai dealer installed option that isn't fully integrated (like the Honda accessory bluetooth available for Accords without nav).
    It would be great if factory bluetooth is really available for the 2009 Sonata because it would be the closest to the ideally equipped car for me for the money.

I bet it's a dealer accessory add-on though.
    Edmunds is usually pretty accurate on their pricing data. I guess we'll have to wait and see what hits the dealers.

I noticed that Fitzmall is pricing their first few incoming 2009 Sonatas at MSRP, at least for their "delivered value price", and just a small discount for their "internet price". Can't recall the last time I saw them do that on a Hyundai. In contrast, they are already pricing their incoming 2009 Corollas at invoice. Whoda thunk... bigger discounts on the all-new Corolla vs. a refreshed Hyundai. But we'll see how long that kind of pricing holds up. Not long, I'll bet. Tough market out there.
    I'm pretty sure it will be a dealer accessory because it looks like the option codes for factory options are number codes and the option codes for dealer accessories like floor mats, wind deflectors and the bluetooth are letter codes.
  • juxtojuxto Posts: 16
    There are price increases for 2009, so that for example the base GLS with AT starts at $19,995 including destination. Still less than Accord or Camry, or a comparably-equipped Malibu, but getting closer to those cars in price. Interesting strategy on Hyundai's part. I guess we'll soon see how far the brand has come.

I was actually considering a hyundai - for the first time ever. When I saw the prices I came to the obvious conclusion that it would not be a good idea. In a few years down the road I am sure that it would be a horrible financial mistake. I wish hyundai well, but think they may be more impressed with their product than the market.
    Looks like it will be a Blueconnect dealer or port installation in the headliner or sunglass holder.
    The speaker and the microphone are integrated in one unit, so it just needs to connected to power.

I see it's offered on other 2008 Hyundais (like the Elantra and Azera) for the same suggested price of $325, but they do not specify that installation charges are included for $325.

Blueconnect looks OEM integrated with color matching to most interiors when installed and works well, but the disadvantage is that it isn't integrated into the stereo so you don't get caller ID or audio through the stereo. You will need to use your phone screen to see caller-id and you will need to mute the stereo yourself when a call comes in. You can mount your phone with a vent mount or cup holder mount image so you can look at caller id without picking up the phone or maybe use custom ring tones on your phone so you can hear who it is by the ring tone is if one of your contacts are calling.

You can phone dial new numbers and contacts with voice tags by voice.

See the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuEBnhw_LHs
  • What is the difference between this to the Bluetooth capable GPS??
    What other cars are you considering? How long were you planning to keep your next car? With those answers, you can do a financial analysis. One thing to keep in mind is that most dealers will try to get MSRP or close to it for a new model, but soon the discounts and rebates will reappear. The Sonata is in a very competitive market, so IMO Hyundai won't be able to sell the 2009 Sonata for near list price for very long. If we look at the launch of the then-new-2006 Sonata as a guide, it took only a few months for large discounts and rebates to appear on that car. I predict the same thing will happen on the 2009 Sonata once the supply of 2008s is gone and the "gotta have the latest model" buyers are satisfied.

So looking at history, I think it's reasonable to assume that within a few months, you will be able to get $4000-5000 off list on a 2009 Sonata. Those are common discounts on the 2008s now. For example, a well-equipped GLS AT (with convenience package) would then be around $16k +/-. What other car in its class offers what the Sonata does at that kind of price? And if you buy the car at a good discount and keep it for a few years, the financial picture won't be any worse and may be better than if you were to buy something like an Accord. But run the numbers for yourself.
    You won't have theft concerns and hassle of hiding a portable GPS and then pulling it out everytime you get in the car even when you don't need the GPS function (so you will have access to the gps's bluetooth for phone calls),
    The microphone placement in the ceiling would be better than where you would need to put a portable gps (so callers should hear you better)
    You can dial any phone number by voice ("dial 555-7683").
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,601
    When considering resale value there are many variables.

How old is the (model year) of the car? How many miles? What was the actual purchase price (not the MSRP)? How has that year make/model stood up? What is the current make/model selling for new now?

As new model years go up in price that tends to bolster the used car value of the same model.

Hyundai seems to be increasing its MSRP quite a bit recently. Our 2007 Sonata SE purchased 50 weeks ago had an MSRP of $22,005, we paid $16,651 plus fees & tax for OTD @ $18,189. The increased price for the '09's will keep up the used car value of the '07 (and my '05).
    If you look really carefully, you can see the Blueconnect in the overhead console of this Veracruz and the article refers to Blueconnect by name. That confirms it.
    The only question that remains is if $325 is the installed price or just the price of the accessory part. You can order the part yourself for $249 at Amazon.com if all you get for $325 is the part and you still need to pay an hour of dealer rate labor to get it installed.

http://autosupermart.com/store/shop/news/PR/2007hyundaiveracruz.html
    What makes you think installation wouldn't be included for the $325 asking price? Installation is included on other dealer-installed options that are listed along with the Bluetooth.
    Because when I build a car on the Hyundai web site and go to the accessories section it says in small print at the bottom of the page:

"All prices are suggested and dealer prices may vary. Installation of accessories is extra."

Some of the accessories are things like floor mats and cargo mats that they will "install" for you for no charge.
    Or in other words, "Installation is negotiable." ;)
  • Anybody use the Blueconnect before? how is the sound quality in Highway?
    Maybe I would just pass on the Blueconnect if I wanted nav after all. With a cupholder or beanbag/friction mount type platforms for the nav dropped on top of the cupholders and the power port and aux input right there under the armrest (to play the portable nav's voice instructions, mp3 music saved on the nav and the phone audio over the car stereo speakers), it would only take 2 seconds to stow the gps out of sight when parking (just lift the armrest and hide the GPS there without even having to disconnect any cables).

If the built-in speakerphone microphone in the GPS isn't good enough for you, the Nuvis come with a mic input port so you could have an external mic installed around the sunvisors, headliner more easily and with less much cutting and modification than installing the blue connect.
    (see mic input in the cradle)image

The advantage of the having the bluetooth and GPS in one is that when you pull up a point of interest like a restaurant, you can just tap on it to call them to verify they're still open, at the same address listed in the POI directory and make a reservation if necessary.
    The Blueconnect and factory nav do not talk to each other.

• To make a long story short I tried to buy a 2008 Hyundai sonata at a local dealer. I tried for two months to get them to come down on their price. I was buying it stright out. They would not come down 1 penny. They said they didn't have any lee way on them(whatever that means) anyway the MSRP was $22,470.00. This past Saturday I drove about 60 miles to another dealer and told them right out what I was trying to. To buy a car.After 5 hours I bought the same car for $18.400.00. It does pay to shop around. I'm now waiting for the first dealer to call me again to get me to buy their car. I'm going to ask them about the lee way.
  • I know, it does get a little crazy with these early releases. With the Limited V6 now having a MSRP of over $26K, the entire sales paradigm is going to get interesting. My dealer was selling the new 2006 Sonata LX (predecessor to the Limited) for $17,750 before TTL (including applicable rebates). Certainly, it's technically not the same car with the old interior, and without the exterior "upgrades," and engine and chassis tweaks, but . . . we can certainly see the effects of the weak dollar, and perhaps, Hyundai's move up market price wise.
    Maybe those who have been ragging on the Sonata for "poor resale value" because the price new has been such a bargain will have to find a new story. Yes, it's true that resale value will decline proportionately when "new" sales prices are low.

When "new" prices increase, the resale prices will increase proportinately. Personallly, I'd rather have the lowever upfront cost.

We pais $17826 OTD for an '05 GLS SV (LTD except for leather & power seat) and $18,189 OTD for an '07 SE (last Feb). Both figures include 6% sales tax.
  • The price for the '08 Sonata GLS w/ Auto is less than $15,000 now, do you think we can get the '09 Sonata GLS w/ Auto less than $15,000 later this year?
    The '09 GLS w/ AT invoices just under $19,300, so you would need a combination of dealer discount and factory incentive totaling at least $4300 under invoice to get the price under $15,000.

Town Hyundai, in NJ, is currently selling '08 Sonatas at $2,000 under invoice and there is a $2,000 rebate for a total of $4,000 under invoice
  • So, does anyone have inside information on when will the 09 Sonata be available in California? The salesmen told me that there's no way 09 Sonata will be available by the end of this month in their inventory. And keep repeating that it's only available in the East coast.
    No reason to expect the updated 2009s to be discounted to that level until the 2010s are on the way at the earliest or maybe not until the next replacement for the Sonata is ready to be released a year or 2 after that.
    The discounts on the 2007/2008s are going to be extra large just because the much nicer 2009s are about to come out.
    Do you recall when the '08s came out? It seems like Hyundai isn't following its normal 12 month cycle for introducing new model years.

Wasn't the '08 Sonata sometime around June, '07?
    No reason to expect the updated 2009s to be discounted to that level until the 2010s are on the way at the earliest or maybe not until the next replacement for the Sonata is ready to be released a year or 2 after that.

I can think of two reasons why large discounts and rebates will reappear on the 2009 Sonata within a few months of its release:

1) Intense competition in the mid-sized class, with other cars e.g. Fulan, Mazda6, Camry, Aura offered at large discounts.
    2) Depressed auto sales due to the recession.

Recall that even when the all-new 2006 Sonata debuted, large rebates and discounts appeared soon after its launch. So I don't think we need to wait until 2010 or until the next-gen Sonata is released for large discounts/rebates.