Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Engine Problems

Comments

• mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Using a good quality synthetic oil, you can easily extend the interval between changes. I'd stick to the recommendation that the oil manufacturer gives for intervals, or you may shorten it based on your comfort level.
  • azcardinalsazcardinals Member Posts: 7
    Hey Dan-
    Like others have recommended, I would drain the oil and fill up with the 5w-20 that is used for your car. Also, unless the car already uses synthetic oil, I wouldn't switch to synthetic with a car 6 years old now. I don't know how many miles are on your car, but I'd recommend replacing the spark plugs and ignition coils yourself if they haven't been replaced yet. It is super easy to do on a 4 cylinder. When you do that, I would replace the PCV valve at the same time. As for general maintenance, unless you know it has been done recently, I would flush the coolant system, drain/refill the tranny fluid, and replace the brake and power steering fluid. I would say to replace the spark plugs, ignition coils, pcv valve, and all the fluid exchanges, it would run you around $450 (assuming you do most of it yourself, except for the coolant flush, tranny drain/refill, and brake flush). Not too much money to know your ignition system is firing good and your fluids are all new and fresh. Let me know if you have any questions how to do that stuff as I have done all of it on my car, which is the V6 version.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Unless they were using different fluids in 2004, the coolant is supposed to be good for 10 years or 120,000 miles.

At least as of 2007 no transmission fluid changes are specified in the maintenance schedule, not that this necessarily means it is a good idea to never change it...

If you do not have one, you can get an electronic copy of the owners manual, which includes the maintenance schedule, by registering with mazdausa,com
    I would definitely not wait 10 years or 120,000 miles to do a coolant flush. Especially where I live (Arizona) where we get 115* during the summer. I would recommend doing a coolant flush every 4 years or 50,000 miles. Same with the tranny drain/refill. Last time I had a coolant flush and tranny drain/refill done, it cost $130 out the door. Minor cost in my opinion to extend the life of the radiator, water pump, and transmission. Manufacturers want to keep their Cost of Ownership down, so they do extend out their recommended maintenance. Fluids break down and it's definitely not a good idea to go 10 years without replacing them.
    The intervals are also extended because the fluids are different that what was used in the past. I assume they are using synthetic transmission fluid? and the long life coolant is not the old green ethylene glycol. Did you get synthetic trans fluid and long life coolant for $130?
    They also say engine oils have advanced and that we can go 5,000 miles + for oil changes. I still stick to 3,000 miles. Single best thing you can do for your car in my opinion is keep up with the oil changes, even with the advancements in automotive oil. The $130 was for long life coolant, but not synthetic transmission fluid. Even with long life coolant, I would never go past 50,000 miles. To each his own on maintaining their car. I prefer to do oil changes every 3k miles instead of 5k, and I prefer coolant flushes every 50k instead of 100k. The way I see it is, it will cost me an extra $260 over a 100,000 mile period to change the oil every 3k instead of 5k miles (33 oil changes instead of 20, @ $20 per oil change since I do my own oil changes), and another $80 for a coolant flush at 50k miles instead of extending to 100k. So, over a 100,000 mile period it cost an extra $340 for the oil changes and coolant flush. Lets say I do 15,000 miles per year. Thats 6.5 years to reach 100,000 miles. $340 over a 6.5 year period is another $50 per year. I think I'd prefer to pay the extra $50 per year to maintain my car than to risk more problems in the future. Just my $0.02.
    I'm not sure it is a good idea to have exchanged the synthetic transmission fluid for conventional. The transmission was designed to use a certain fluid, if I did change it I would spend the extra money to put in what it was designed to use.

If I do wait 10 years to change my coolant, I'll likely have only 75,000 miles on it anyway. At about that mileage, I figure I'll see what the current thinking is on changing synthetic transmission fluid also.
  • m6_mikem6_mike Member Posts: 1
    Scary how many posts on this topic. I purchased a 2007 M6 used in late 2008. A family friend and certified mechanic has done all maint, including oil changes - in fact, I have oil changes done every other month to avoid these kinds of issues. Of course, no 'company letterhead' receipts since he works out of his own garage on the side. In Dec 2009, fairly severe engine knock showed up one morning with no advance warning, no maint lights, nothing. About 2 miles later on the way to the dealer, the engine seized. At that moment, the engine oil low level light came on. Troubleshooting at the dealer immediately pointed to 'improper maint' and 'engine oil sludge'. Interestingly, 3 days earlier I was teaching my new driver daughter where the maint features were and how to check oil, etc. Oil level was perfect and oil was clean in appearance. Oh yeah, after no one at the dealer would return my calls, I showed up in person. The troubleshooting occurred without opening the engine. They did email me pictures of 2 holes in the manifold. Having worked with castings for the past 20 years, it was a textbook case of porosity failure. As I further questioned the service dept, I was told that 'a valve or rod must have burst and gotten thrown due to poor maint and loose metal in the engine caused the holes.' When I asked exactly what parts failed to cause this damage, I was informed they hadn't taken the engine apart enough to know. The photos they took showed no mechanical contact or metallic debris and the two failure points; so I'm sure there was no true mechanical failure other than the defective part. Hmmm - trouble shooting without laying hands on the engine - and they had already sent me evidence of the defective cast part that drained the oil. 2 months we've been arguing, and they still blame me. Don't know where to turn with such an obvious failure not attributable to operational care. BTW - Car is still under the original transferable warranty, and warr manual states "...Mazda cannot deny warranty coverage solely on the basis of insufficient service receipts..." and the engine is specifically listed as covered in the 60 mo/60k mi Powertrain Limited Warranty.
    2007 engine blows in 2009 - some reliability. Bottom line, 2 holes in the block drain the oil, and they're blaming me for an oil lubrication problem.
  • temeculatimtemeculatim Member Posts: 6
    Mazda 6 engines are actually Ford Tauris rngines. I found this out when my Mazda 6 blew a water pump and then the engine lost 3 cyclinders before I could pull over. The cost of a new engine is $6500. I had perfect maintenance on oil and hoses. This car has 80K miles. I still owe a ton on it and it sits in front of my driveway.
  • racefanf1racefanf1 Member Posts: 36
    After months and months I gave up on having Mazda do the right thing. I'd contacted Mazda USA Headquarters and they believed the lies the dealer told them. I'm the author of this thread from the start. I've had 7 Mazdas and no more. They, as a company, suck.
  • tattooi2ktattooi2k Member Posts: 1
    mazda 6 stales out 10 min later starts up its the 4 cyl 2007 any ideas no check engine light scared to drive might break down
  • al5000al5000 Member Posts: 12
    My 2004 6 cyl Mazda 6 blew the engine at 81k. Had been well maintained, with oil changes well in advance of the recommended 7500 mile interval. No smoke, no warning lights, no signs of trouble. Just died.
    Mazda's customer service really sucked. No offer of any assistance. Even though out of warranty, a car should not blow an engine witht his few miles, and they should back their product up. They even went so far as to tell me in a letter that "even if under warranty, this would not have been covered". The inference being that I had service done by someone other than the dealer.
    The point is, DON'T BUY A MAZDA!
    Pretty sure only the 6 cylinder was a Ford Duratec no longer for last couple of years), while the 4 cylinder has always been a Mazda design.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Pretty sure only the 6 cylinder was a Ford Duratec no longer for last couple of years),

The new 3.7L is a Duratec design as well. It is built and tuned by Mazda in Japan now.
  • scottmsimpsonscottmsimpson Member Posts: 66
    2005 6 V-6 5 speed, 86000 miles.
    This has happened a couple time recently. When the fuel level is below 1/4 tank,
    when accelerating, there is a hesitation as if low fuel pressure. Fill tank and the problem goes away. Stopped at a dealer today, and he was thinking it could be a purge value starting to fail, having to do with the evaporative emission controls.
    I wouldn't think it is the fuel filter getting clogged, as the fuel level shouldn't affect the pressure. Anyone had an issue like this?
    any check engine light? What codes?
    No, no check engine light. Car has been fine all week, with fuel level above 1/4. I could try to go to an Autozone or such, as they can read codes. Haven't tried this yet.
  • lrae2839lrae2839 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Mazda 6 in October 2009. 1 week after I purchased it, the car would not start. I had gone to an appointment and came back and battery was dead for no obvious reason. I had not left any lights on and the doors were not open or ajar. It started fine wth a jump. One month later, my main headlights went out and a sidemarker light. A couple weeks later, both my fog lights went out. Then my high beams wouldn't work, but the next day they started working. During this three week period, my CD player also stopped working for a day, then started working again. The dealership replaced some bulbs and two fuses that had burnt out.

Three months later my main headlights and side marker lights went out again. Then a few days later, the engine died at a stoplight. I was able to immediately re-start the engine and the Check Engine light came on upon start. I drove it straight to the dealership. They looked at it the next day and the Check Engine light was not on and they could not find a code registered. They tested the battery and alternator and both were fine. They told me that the previous owner had hard-wired HDI headlight bulbs and that was causing the lights and fuses to blow. They had to do some re-wiring but they ended up replacing the two mains with stock bulbs. That night I drove the car to the store after dark and the lights were very dim. When I came back to start my car 15 minutes after being inside, the car won't start. The dash lights and radio are working but engine won't crank now.

Any suggestions?
  • grendel9grendel9 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2010
    Well, Some times I am a dumb [non-permissible content removed]. While the solution to my engine noise was rather simple, reading the horror stories on this thread had me really worried.
    I had a noise coming from the engine. It seemed to happen mostly during excelleration or anytime the transmission had to down shift. Reading this stories seemed like I was in big trouble. Basically everyone that had an engine noise either said change the PCV or get a new engine. Everyone that road in my car thought the engine was about gone.
    I noticed that the noise would stop when I went over a bump at low speed or when I drove over a rise in the road.
    It was the engine mounts! I changed the one on the passenger side and the torque mount. The torque mount was not too bad but the one on the passenger side was toast. It was rattling around like crazy.
    I hope this help someone.
    Thanks
  • hc1798hc1798 Member Posts: 2
    I am familiar with this issue,not with Mazda but with Chrysler . the problem may be the main ground from the engine block to the body , some times it's to small . replace it with a size that seems more adequate. This may fix all your troubles.
    good luck and zoom zoom.
  • hc1798hc1798 Member Posts: 2
  • jestajesta Member Posts: 1
    I've hesitated, but just threw in the towel with Mazda. I've owned 8 Mazda's over the past 26 years, had mostly good experiences up until this 2004 Mazda 6 V6 Hatchback. I need to mention, I was a Service Manager at a Mazda dealership and left the automotive industry in 2000 after just too much pain and suffering and watching what used to be a good company start going down the slippery slope. I can't tell you how many times I went to bat for customers and won with Mazda, transmissions, engines, you name it, anything under 100k or 6 years, I could get them to pay for out of goodwill for the original owner for almost anything, especially if they were a loyal owner (had owned more than 1 Mazda) But there came a time where they started becoming more difficult to get to step up and "own" a problem for well maintained vehicles, which was right around the time I left the industry. That was over 10 years ago.
    This vehicle had synthetic since 1000 miles out of the box, over maintained, at my request, by the dealership which is my M.O. Minor problems which I considered to be "normal", but there were consistent coil failures causing secondary ignition problems..which were corrected right away each occurance. Ended up needing a new Cat at 99k, fought tooth and nail to get Mazda NA to pay 50% of the part under goodwill. BTW, I had an extended warranty which covered thousands of dollars of failures after the Mazda warranty expired...but it ended at 100k..guess what, 101k, I check the oil, down over almost 3 quarts (occurred in say a few weeks since I had checked the level prior), I noticed an unusual noise from the engine, took it in 1,000 miles early for it's oil change within the week, needs an engine..big surprise right? You can find them, but to spend 5-6k installed (I wanted a new radiator and hoses etc to do it right if I was going to keep it)seems silly on a vehicle that is worth 9k at the most retail. BTW, PCV valve was the cause of the oil "loss". I know better than to waste my time with Mazda...at 100k, they'll do absolutely nothing to help a customer out of goodwill, don't ever even consider it over a 100k, you'll just waste your time. If it was under 100k, I would have fought tooth and nail, and if I was lucky, I might have got them to pay 50% for the engine only, which Mazda sells (long block) for $4700...just for the part, so you do the math....used ones are between $1800-2500. Still a loosing proposition, unless you want to do the work yourself, which can be a bit of a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. All the salvage yards/companies know this engine is in demand.
    So, that's it for me for Mazda forever, just wholesaled out of this car to the dealer, I don't want or need to deal with selling it privately. (it still runs, making a racket, blows smoke at cold start.. but it will fail entirely, the only reason it didn't blow up I suspect was the synthetic oil). I have had Toyotas for years, and even given the recent and not so recent challenges they've had, I still find their product to be far superior to Mazda. (it still runs, but it will fail entirely, the only reason it didn't blow up I suspect was the synthetic oil).
    A big disappointment for someone who used to be an Ambassador to the company, and a very big fan. I'd encourage anyone to understand, no matter how well you take care of a vehicle, if it's starved for oil for any length of time, it's going to become a problem. Always Check your oil at least once a week, or daily if you drive 100 miles or more...its the only way to possibly prevent something like this from happening and catch the loss or consumption early. Additionally, don't hesitate to replace a PCV valve at your 30k services or every 2 years, it can't hurt. I feel like a bit of an idiot for letting it go for more than a few weeks without checking the oil, because actually I probably could have prevented the failure, but most car owners can't or just won't ever have this kind of routine. It's been a sad week for me, but Goodbye Mazda, forever.
    Well folks there you have it. Same message from this last guy as I said from the start of this thread 136 messages ago. I've had 7 Mazdas he's had 8. I'm an Engineer, a mechanic & a racecar driver and he's a former Mazda Service Manager. Mazda said my problem was my doing without doing teardown / root cause annalysis. Which is fostered by "Jesta" saying Mazda has walked away from peoples problems. No more Mazdas...... ever!
    While it is unfortunate to have this major problem at just over 100K mi, I don't think it is reasonable to expect Mazda to cover anything with that many miles under the factory warranty. I had a Ford Windstar with gasket problems at 90-95 K mi, they did nothing even though the very same engine in other Ford vehicles was given extended coverage for these gaskets. I thought it was ridiculous that they could, for example, say the very same part was defective if the engine was put in a truck but just fine if the engine was put in a minivan.

You did not indicate if the extended warranty was from Mazda or a 3rd party. Since you were barely over 100K mi, I think there is more of an issue there. But if you had an extended warranty to 100K mi, why did you fight to get Mazda to pay for the cat at 99K, shouldn't the extended warranty have paid for that?
  • sharvillsharvill Member Posts: 3
    Do you have an update to the fix to the hesitation you were seeing? My wife's car is doing the same thing when it gets to 1/4 tank.
  • seanakioseanakio Member Posts: 4
    I have had my mazda6 for about 2 years now. Its a 2004 6-cyl hatchback w/ a manual trans. Ive been hearing a clicking or ticking sound when the car is on sitting in one spot. I can't seem to pin point the noise but its starting to freak me out a bit. Anyone heard of this problem or is it even a problem? My first impression is ticking=no good. Any help or info would be much appreciated.

sean
  • onlamonlam Member Posts: 13
    I had the same problem in the last couple of months. Did you ever get it resolved?
    I had the fuel pump replaced and it fixed the issue.
    Did you have a CEL code? Mine was throwing out a P2179 everytime when the tank gets about 1/4 full.
    there is a service bulletin on fixing a camshaft ticking noise. Willing to bet that's your problem, it's common. keep in mind, we have the same model, and I had to repalce my engine at 81K, and Mazda offered NO assistance of any kind.
    No resolution to this yet. Was at the dealer recently for an oil change.. Cruising at a steady state I could run it till it's dry. It is only accelerating that causes issues. I can't believe it is the fuel pump, because as soon as the tank is filled, the problem goes away. Service advisor said to not top off the fuel when filling up. This could be saturating the evaporation canister
    I took mine to a local mechanic, not Mazda, with about 1/4 tank left (when it would start to hesitate). He put it up on jack stands to angle the car (to simulate exiting on a ramp) and checked the fuel pressure when it was angled. The car had also finally (after about a year) thrown the running lean code. He said the fuel pressure would spike when it was angled and his assumption was there was a small crack in one of the lines on the pump that would start to suck air when I would accelerate or exit ramps (because it would become un-submerged from the gas when doing so and the reason it works fine with a full tank). So I replaced the pump and no more issues.
    I am having mine replace next week. Too bad it's just outta warranty so it's going to cost about $500. Did you replaced only just the pump unit or did you replace anything else ie. fuel lines..etc?
  • seanakioseanakio Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for that bit, I checked it out and sounds like the problem im having. Thats no good you had to replace at 81k, mine is VERY clothes to 80k. Thanks for the info.
  • ryanmazda07ryanmazda07 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    Note: You know, one thing i have noticed by reading all of these threads is that you could have a minor or major problem and the only diagnosis from MAZDA is, "Well you need to get an engine rebuild or get a new engine. WHY DON'T THEY KNOW JUST HOW TO FIX THE EXISTING ONE!!!!! I wish i had read this thread before i purchased a MAZDA 6.

Recently i have had ticking noises when accelerating and downshifting, i went to a Mazda dealership here on the Gold Coast and they turn around and say, " Bad news, you need a new engine, which will be about $5000-$6000" However a thread i read on page 13 suggest i may only need to replace the engine mounts!!!! Definitely getting a second and third opinion elsewhere.
    edited May 2010
    Ticking noise. This could be it. Service bulletin from Mazda that address this problem.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda6/bulletin/01-012-07-1787a.pdf

or use this service bulletin

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda6/bulletin/01-031-07-1835.pdf
  • oracle_of_rockoracle_of_rock Member Posts: 58
    Anyone have any experience with the valves tapping on your 2009 Madza6 V6? Mine is going back to the dealership this Friday for the second time for a fix. Doesn't the new cars have a computer that adjusts the timing so the valves don't tap? They had better not tell me to burn premium petrol to get rid of the tapping.

Lemon Law here I come......

Rick
  • boogitybopboogitybop Member Posts: 21
    I don't know whether or not the mazda 6 engine is the same as the cx7 but there are a lot of people with major problems with the cx7 and are having to replace the engine at anywhere from 30 to 80,000 miles. I am one of them. I supplied Mazda with oil change receipts reflecting great service on this car and they refuse to help us in any way. We on the cx7 forum are exploring the possibility of a class action suit against these people. If you are interested in this please forward your e mail address to me:
    [email protected].
    Hi, I'm the original author of this thread. I just put ANOTHER engine into my Mazda 6. That makes 2 new engines on this 2007 Mazda 6 ....Search back and contact the former Mazda Service Manager and he'll give you the poop on this aweful problem. I won a Class Action against Coleco Co Inc. it was $17 million dollars. After the lawyers got their FAIR SHARE I go one share of Coleco stock and $8.25. Include all us Mazda 6 owners just to hammer the point. I just received notice my lawn tractor was a winner in a suit and it setteled for a reward to every owner not the lawyers. That''s a possibility. [email protected]
    Sounds like you are suit happy. Everyone is always trying to suit somebody. And I find it strange that you hate the Mazda 6 so much, but you keep putting another engine in to it. I would think if you hated it so much you would have got rid of it long ago. Something is fishy here. If you learn to maintain your vehicle you will have very little problems. I am now just a hair under 100,000 miles on my 2004 Mazda 6, the most expensive thing I have done is replaced my front brake pads and rotors (did myself for ~$150). Otherwise, 0 issues. Maybe you should quit trying to suit and research the Mazda 6 a little more and learn how to take care of it. Just my $0.02.
    I am most certainly not suit happy. I was unknowling included in the 2 suits I was included in. What's fishy is you are a jerk who doesn't have his facts and is passing bad judgment on me without knowing why I did 2 engines.
    No one was getting personal here. we are trying to help eachother. Let's keep it professional and cut the name calling.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    edited June 2010
    Let's cut the namecalling for sure, as that's contrary to our Membership Agreement. Calling someone "suit happy" also isn't acceptable. Let's also quit insinuating that something is "fishy" just because one consumer didn't behave the way you might have.

Sometimes it's too difficult and costly to get out of a particular vehicle, particularly when it has serious issues that would make it difficult to sell privately and worth very little as a trade-in. A vehicle with a non-working engine just might make it difficult to sell.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

You definitely are the minority when it comes to this problem. Outside of the Ford sourced V6 engines, where most of the problems are stemming from, the Mazda I4's have been very good. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

73,000 and going strong. No repairs.
  • des5des5 Member Posts: 88
    Ditto here. My 2005 6i is in for its 18th oil change today, 90,600 on the odo, zero engine issues. There are some interior rattles going on...
    Let me be perfectly clear here, I am an engineer, a mechanic and a racecar driver. Most importantly, I am a "Failure Analysis Engineer" so when I say you need to do a failure analysis before you can determine the root cause of the failure you can take that to the bank. My Mazda 6 failed at 7000 miles with better than required maintenance and utmost care. Even more with the second engine.
    Mazda always claimed my engine was "too clean" so they rejected my claim. THAT is why I'm here!!!! Have you all read the message from the former Mazda Service Manager here. Do that before passing judgment and name calling please.
    My car was perfectly maintained and it failed in one second flat. As did countless others. Mazda knows they have a problem with the 6 and SUV. So lets focus on helping people not name calling. Ask the Mazda Service Rep he'll tell you they are denying lots and lots of legitimate
    claims.
    Why is a "too clean" engine a justification for denial?
    As per law, a manufacturer needs to prove that lack of maintenance, misuse or abuse caused a covered component to fail. If they cannot, a claim must be accepted. Even Mazda cannot get around this. I find it comical that a "too clean" engine would not be covered. I just don't buy it.

What dealer told you this? What city and state?
    edited June 2010
    It was Dworkin Mazda Chevrolet in Derby, CT. I called Mazda USA and spoke to several representatives. (They don't give their last names) and finally got to a top Customer Service Rep who refused my claim despite knowing the laws. Dworkin claimed a clean engine proved deception. Yeah right. I'm doing this Edmonds thing to gather data and information like the former Mazda Service Manager who confirmed Mazda was denying legitimate claims and letting the chips fall as they may.