Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Engine Problems

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    When did this happen at Dworkin Mazda? Is this something recent?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Clean engine or clean oil?

Long ago I had a guy who sold me a rebuilt engine tell me that sometimes those who had destroyed an engine of his by never changing oil would then pour in clean new oil before making a warranty claim. (not implying that this is the case here, just wondering about the "clean engine" statement)
  • mazda6s1mazda6s1 Member Posts: 6
    Unfortunately, I have encountered the same problem as many here have posted.

I have a 2003 Mazda6s manual transmission, with 80,000 miles on it.

Basically, I started to hear an engine rattling sound. Not long after (~1 week), the check engine light turns on. The rattling sound eventually becomes more noticeable, at which point I realize I need to get it checked out. However, I'm busy during the week, so I schedule a weekend appointment. Eventually, the rattling sounds are accompanied by the "low oil" light and white smoke from tailpipe. At this point, I knew I was in trouble. As I'm driving home, the car basically turns off (to overheating) and I get it towed to dealer. It's currently drivable, but the engine needs to be replaced, according to the local Mazda dealer. They said I was low on oil, and the engine was damaged. Additionally, it appears coolant was leaking into the engine, causing the white smoke from tailpipe.

At this point, I'm kind of shocked, because my car only has 80,000 miles on it, and it's an 03. I got it brand new. I never imagined getting an engine replacement THIS early.

As of now, I'm contemplating getting a used engine. However, I have a couple of questions:

(1) Anyone know of any good places to buy one? I live in PA. Should I just go through the dealer to buy a used engine? Or, is it better to look myself?

(2) If I buy a used engine, could this used Mazda6 engine eventually develop the same problem as my current one? If so, what could I do to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks!
  • racefanf1racefanf1 Member Posts: 36
    I got my used engine for $1200.00 and changed it myself. Mazda wanted $5000.00. I got the engine on Car-Parts.com. Engine worked great for 30,000 miles and then blew again. Now I have another engine with a 50,000 mile warrnty.
    Mazda has a clear problem here with the Mazda 6 and the CX 7. and is doing nothing to help. Look back to the former Mazda Service Manager on this thread.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    edited June 2010
    (1) Anyone know of any good places to buy one? I live in PA. Should I just go through the dealer to buy a used engine? Or, is it better to look myself?

I'd look around and see what you can do yourself. Having 80K miles allows you to do pretty much anything you want without voiding any factory warranty. The more reputable engine builders will offer a warranty.

(2) If I buy a used engine, could this used Mazda6 engine eventually develop the same problem as my current one? If so, what could I do to prevent this from happening again?

Anything is possible. Having said that, the best way to keep an eye on the engine is to check the oil once per week (I do it with both my vehicles every Saturday morning, whether it's brand-new or 10 years old, its still good practice).

It sounds like the PCV valve failed and you slowly lost oil until the rattling started. Unfortunately, when the oil light goes on, it's usually too late, since the light goes on when the oil pump has problems. The PCV valve has been known to fail, especially on 3.0L V6 engines. When I started losing oil (a half-quart or more per week) on my '04 6S, I replaced the valve and the oil loss ceased.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Try Jasper Engines. They are rebuilt and have a pretty good warranty on them. They are reputable.

http://www.jasperengines.com/index.php
  • al5000al5000 Member Posts: 12
    Jasper is REALLY expensive. I bought mine from Powertrain Products. Engine for my 2004 V6 was around $3000.
    If your blown engine lost any oil, it probably ended up in the front cats, which will also need to be replaced, and you might as well do the clutch while you are at it.

Mazda customer service is absolutely the worst, hands down.
    Thanks for the response.

I'm leaning towards buying a new engine. Do you think I could potentially have the same issues with a new Mazda6 engine?

Also, how did you notice oil was leaking? I had no idea until it was too late (didn't see any oil dripping on the ground).
    I'm thinking about getting a new engine from Mazda. The reasoning being, if I get a new engine instead of just buying another used car, at least, hopefully, I'll have an engine that will last me for the next 4-5 years (which is as long as I would like my car).

The Jasper engines seem kind of expensive and appear to be similarly priced to the new engine that Mazda can install.
    Hey,

So, how is your Powertrain engine running? It looks like for remanufactured engines, they have 4-year, unlimited mile warranty.

Do you think getting a remanufactured engine is a safe choice?
    So far so good (about 5k so far). Just make sure you change your cats if they got oil in them.
    I preferred the idea of a remanufactured engine over a used one, given the labor involved.
    I should also add, if you were to buy a "new" engine from Mazda they would supply you with a remanufactured one.
    edited June 2010
    Interesting. May I ask how you know this (i.e. that the "new" Mazda engine they are offering is, in fact, a remanufactured one?

Also, Mazda is charging $1700 for installation. If I decide to get the engine from Powertrain, do you recommend I go to Mazda to install it because they know the engine well, or would it be better to go to a different mechanic who would probably charge less?
    The book hours for engine replacement is 20 hours. I doubt your dealer is only charging $85/hr, but maybe. I used a local mechanic who only charged me $50/hr ($1000) and he took a bath on the job.
    The service manager at the local Mazda dealer is the one who told me the "new" $6500 engine was remanufactured.
    I would avoind Mazda at all cost. They have changed from best to worst. Just check the former Mazda Service Manager who added his thoughts here.
  • siccmadesiccmade Member Posts: 1
    i got an 04 mazda 6 2.3l. cyl. #3 misfire code. every time i fill up the mis starts and then goes away. i replaced coil, checked for vacuum leak, compression and wires and plugs. i dont know what it is and the injector is firing and ohmed out okay, any ideas would be great.
  • xwrdpuzlrxwrdpuzlr Member Posts: 5
    Include me, too. I have a 2006 -- problems with no oil in 2008 while the car was still in warranty. Mazda did nothing, up to the area rep. Rented a car for a week, repaired the car, and this week, at about 66000, the engine blew.
    Maybe we can get an investigative reporter on the news to force Mazda to do something. This car will cost me almost $3000 to repair - needs a new engine and clutch now. No warning lights, I've checked and changed oil religiously.
    How about the Better Business Bureau? Consumer protection agency of some kind ?
  • lrotalrota Member Posts: 18
    Can you provide more details about the "no oil"?

Also, was the PCV valve checked for blockage?

Any info is most helpful to understand what cause the "no oil".
    Count me in! There needs to be a lawsuit.
    2004 Mazda 6s (6 cyl.), well maintined, blown engine at 81k. Had been using Mobil1 and changing oil at less than the 7500 mile recommended interval. Mazda put on a charade of "reviewing" my situation, not even an offer of discounted work.
    Ended up going to an independent mechanic, for around $6300 replaced engine with a new remanufactured one (4 yr warranty parts and labor), clutch , starter, 2 front cats.
    I just got the bill from my mechanic (independent, not Mazda) for almost $3000 for a blown transmission. According to him, something inside the transmission came apart and blew through the case. All the fluid drained out, of course, and soaked the clutch en route. The car is a 2006, with about 67000 miles on it -- out of warranty, of course.
    There is no way a transmission should blow in 4 years -- or ever, in this way. My mechanic assures me there is no way I could have caused the damage.

When it was in warranty, in 2008, it lost all the engine oil. Mazda claimed it was my fault -- despite having the car at the dealer for a recall the previous day. At that time, they did their vaunted check, and the oil was checked off as OK. I went up to the area rep level, and they did nothing. Claimed my records of oil changes were not valid, or insufficient, or whatever.

My previous Mazda, a 626, had an engine light on, which prevented passing inspection. Nobody could find the problem -- Mazda installed a new part, charged me a couple of hundred for it, and the engine light came on again on the way home. I made a U-turn and demanded that they remove the new, expensive part, put the old one back, and refund my charges. The problem was never resolved, the car never passed inspection (though it was running well), and that's when I traded it in for the Mazda 6.

I wouldn't trust another Mazda -- the vehicle or the company -- if my life depended on it.

Mazda has not stood behind their product or their customers. These apparent defects should go to the press -- at least Toyota makes good on its mistakes.
  • zebra06zebra06 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 4cylinder and I'm having idle issues. It revs up really high and then down to almost a stall when it is sitting still. I can't figure out what is wrong with it. It seems to be the Idle Control Valve, but that part has to be replaced as part of the complete throttle system. There is also, more recently, a high pitched squeal. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do??
  • nitawhit3nitawhit3 Member Posts: 1
    Count me in on any lawsuits or complaints against Mazda. I have a 2005 Mazda 6 and the clutch went out at only 33,248 miles. Called Mazda USA who said they most likely will do nothing to help, but that I need to take it to one of their Mazda dealerships (17 miles away), have it diagnosed by them ($110) after which they'll take a look to see whether I was "loyal" by getting my car serviced at a Mazda dealership before they can determine whether they'll help pay for this. The dealer's repair estimate to replace the clutch is $1000 to $1300. I've been driving sticks for 25 years or more and have never had one go out until now. I can't stand Mazda right now and will never buy another one - EVER!!!
  • ada7240ada7240 Member Posts: 2
    It is incredible annoying to read all these stories of failed engines, with no identification of the engine (or transmission). It can't be that hard to tell us what engine you have, how many cylinders, what year, etc. I've read several pages of the thread and no real idea what engines / model years are most troubled, which would be meaningful information.
    most complaints revolve around the 3.0L V6
    Mine's a 2006 Mazda6, purchased new. 2.3L DOHC 16-valve VVT 14 engine, 5-speed manual transmission. At 42200 miles, it made a rattling noise on acceleration; the engine light came on. When I took it in to Mazda, they claimed it had no oil in it, causing the cam shaft to come out of position. I had checked and changed oil assiduously. It had had previous problems, with "oil sludge" according to Mazda, causing the engine light to come on, despite changing the oil more often than recommended in the owner's manual. Finally, this summer, something in the transmission blew clean through the case, taking out the clutch with it. Nearly $3000 to repair. In every case, Mazda has taken no responsibility. I'm unloading the car, and will never again purchase a Mazda.
    2004 3.0 V6, manual.
  • des5des5 Member Posts: 88
    '05 6i 5spd, 95.6K miles. Checked the oil yesterday (first time in years, don't know
    what possessed me), the tip of the stick was barely covered! Put in 1.5qts, got the level 1/4" above the min mark.I get changes at the dealer every 5K like clockwork, next one in a couple of weeks. Engine runs fine, exhaust look fine, just wondering if others are seeing any oil consumption like this.
  • lrotalrota Member Posts: 18
    You should immediately check and probably replace your PCV valve. A clogged PCV has been often reported in these forums as a cause of excess oil consumption resulting in blown engines.

Also, while most people no longer check their oil levels between oil changes, one should really get into the habit of checking oil at gas refills,
  • bigal_ilbigal_il Member Posts: 1
    So my car is at the dealer and has been for a week went in for a bad knock noise in the engine and service engine light. First week they took my engine apart to see if the could find the problem they said every thing looked clean and tight and well maintained no metal in the pan no sludge. So they wanted to pull my engine out to go through it they thought there was something in the combustion chamber. when they pulled it they found that the timing had jumped 4 notches and that vauvles were hitting cylinders that was the cause of the noise so i need a new engine mazda might pay half but the car just turned 51k. They said that it could of been caused by starting the car with no oil which has never happened. so all this consuming oil caused from a faulty pvc from mazda and blowing engines under 100k It might be time for mazda to be in the news for paying a lawsuit. Anybody had this problem of jumping time?
  • masschic1masschic1 Member Posts: 2
    I am currently having a lawyer take over.. i had had a 2008 mazda 6 the first 3 months the axle clip broke off car had to be towed into mazda 3 months later we broke down again i leased a car so i wouldn't have these problems now it was sept 24 2010 and a loud noise started out of nowhere we had it towed to mazda > fyi boyfriend checked the oil just to see and it was full> after being towed to manfredi mazda they told me wounded like the engine i better have receipts since i unfortunately did not bring it to mazda i got a call 3 days later the bearing are burnt and the car need a new engine i did bring in my receipts and a few days later they said the warranty is not in effect so therefore 3 months left on a lease they want me to pay for rental and 75oo for an engine No way .. i called mazda corp. how nasty. the worst parts is they haven't even given me the same answer as to why the will not honor my warranty.. this Vehicle was a lemon from the start i hate mazda they have cost me so much financial and mental stress ... hope my lawyer can resolve this glad i am not alone
    Good move. I finally dumped my Mazda 6 and bought a VW. Will never buy a Mazda again. If your lawyer wants supporting evidence, contact me -- or maybe it should be a class action!
    I am the original author of this thread. So sorry to hear you are having the same thing happens as many of us did. The thread here from the former Mazda Service Manager is the one your lawyer should contact. I called Mazda USA with all my proper paper work in hand and they still refused my claim. I'm building this thread for evidence for a claim. So I'm with you if you need any help.
  • anonymous916anonymous916 Member Posts: 1
    Hey so i have a 2005 mazda 6i 4cyl automatic, lately it has been giving me trouble every time i accelerate it makes a gurgling sound as i maintain higher speeds it goes away but when i speed up at all it makes the noise again. Any suggestions would be helpful i am a near broke college student and i need this for transportation.
    By "gurgling", do you mean it sounds more like a "rattling" type sound (like a paint can or something)? If that's the case, I'm afraid you may have the same problem as me (and, apparently, many others on this thread, too). I mean, I'm not a car mechanic and offering a diagnosis or anything, but my car was making this rattling sound upon acceleration, and it's usually not a good sign. I didn't assume it to be a serious problem, only to find out I needed a new engine. I would get it checked out asap.
  • masschic1masschic1 Member Posts: 2
    i would love help from anyone and i would also help anyone who need my story. We don not deserve this kind of customer service. I feel i have been violated as a consumer this has not only created stress it has cost me $ and agrrevation. i am sure you can relate to what i am going through. If given permission i will contact you as soon as my lawyer tel me.
    Thank You
  • ratleaderratleader Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2010
    Like I said in the title, 72,000 miles -- too #$%^& young to shell an engine! Regular oil changes with Mobil 1, and at 63, all the racing was out of my system four decades ago. Engine running perfectly with a clean bill of health from the dealer less than a month before, a quiet ride in the morning, when poof, my motor died at a stop sign, and by the time we'd eased it the 15 miles home it was a sick puppy. Now they say, head problems and a pinata of failures down below including main bearings and wrist pins, etc etc, so much that replacing the engine is cheaper than fixing it. Good grief.

Until now I've loved this little car, but now.....not so much.
    Yup, to reiterate my issue, 81k, car impeccably maintained, used Mobil1 and still changed oil every 5K. Without warning my engine blew. Mazda offered NO help. I received the perfunctory "let's look at it and see what we can do" from the regional manager, but he never did actually see the car before denying responsibility.
    I contacted the president of Mazda USA via certified mail, and he baiscally had a customer service rep reply to me with a F___ You letter.
    New engine, new precats, big bucks.
    Ironically, my MPG has increased from the 19 I always got to 22 with the new engine. I'm guessing things were NEVER right with the original one.
    If anyone's starting a suit, count me in.
    I am the originator of this thread. I contacted Mazda USA and got the same F-U response. So this thread is being compiled for proof to Mazda's legal department that plenty of people are being abused by Mazda USA. Find the thread from the former Mazda Service Manager. He knows the truth. Let's get what we are due/
  • ratleaderratleader Member Posts: 2
    If I could ask Mazda one question, it would be this:

You designed a car whose best characteristic is that it corners like it's mad at the road, then hung an engine in it that's known to starve for oil on hard maneuvers, and if that doesn't put it out of commission it self-destructs when a single $10 plastic air valve fails -- what were you thinking!?!?
    edited November 2010
    ...then hung an engine in it that's known to starve for oil on hard maneuvers...

Really? Got any proof of this? Considering I put 92K HARD miles on my '04 6 w/V6 (which includes auto-X, which has plenty of "hard maneuvers") and haven't had a SINGLE oil-related issue. Well, any issue at all for that matter, except for a faulty gas cap...
  • tmac1mctmac1mc Member Posts: 2
    My daughter has a Mazda 6 2007, 4 cylinder. She had a full engine replaced last year in December. The car is now knocking once again and the dealer said full engine replacement. This time they will not honor fixing as it was covered under warranty. I would also be interested in a class action suit.
  • tmac1mctmac1mc Member Posts: 2
    My daughters was an I4 2007 Mazda 6....2 blown engines. Can you give me information on your suit?
    [email protected]
    Sorry o hear you are on of us. You were very lucky to have gotten one enging from Mazda. Does anyone here have a trusted attorney we can get help from starting a Class Action?
  • bak876bak876 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 mazda 6 3.0 motor blown up at 31K someone had that happen to them?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    I'm sorry, but while you're welcome to share your woes and any solutions you may find, our Membership Agreement prohibits using the Forums to organize lawsuits.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• reaveypreaveyp Member Posts: 1
    My Story is very similar to yours 109K miles engine blows up and my life is in tatters. The dealer wanted $9,000 plus for a new motor, $6,700 for reconditioned. This is what my 2005 6 is worth. it's a no win situation.
    WOW your quote is extremely high. I have twice changed the motor in my 2007 Mazda 6 for less than $3000 including laboe. I found the engines on Car-Parts.com and a local mechanic changed it. $3000 total.

Mazda sucks! I've owned 7 Mazdas and never again after the way they treated me over this "in warranty" issue. Shame on Mazda. Avoid, avoid avoid Mazda everyone.
  • nvrbuymazdanvrbuymazda Member Posts: 2
    I have meticulously maintained my 03 mazda 6, 4 cylinder and at 100k the motor started knocking and i checked the oil and none on the dipstick. i was very upset considering i had just changed it 3k prior to the. why does't a 2003 car or newer have a check oil light on it makes no sense. so i replaced the motor with a 64k engine for 2800 installed. i do all the work on the car myself so thats why im dumbfounded!!!!!. many people are considering a class action A lawsuit against mazda and im with em. i paid 25k for this car with 5 miles on it new and shouldn't have had this problem. please get back to me and let me know what ya think
  • nvrbuymazdanvrbuymazda Member Posts: 2
    make sure ur checking ur oil constantly now this exact same thing happened to me and just put a used mi\otor in for 3k. this problem is bigger than anyone of us can handle im starting to contact lawyers if anyone is interested or with me. this company blows. why cant anyone do thier job right anymore and own up to the fact they put a subpar product out
    edited December 2010
    Nice to see you read the Membership Agreement, which FORBIDS this!!

In fact, you only need to look back only a few posts by one of the Hosts:
    I'm sorry, but while you're welcome to share your woes and any solutions you may find, our Membership Agreement prohibits using the Forums to organize lawsuits.