Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord Problems 2000-2005

Comments

• Options
    teebarr05teebarr05 Member Posts: 5
    I decided to take the car to SEARS to have the brakes done only because I knew they were more affordable than the dealer and I didn't expect something like this to occur afterwards. I try to save money wherever I can...most of the work I do is at the dealer (oil changes, scheduled maintenances, etc). However, dealers love to kill you on thier labor charges. I can guarantee though that I won't be doing my brakes at SEARS anymore...I will go to the dealer and have the 'right ones' put on with no care about the price :D What else could I possibly do?
  • Options
    chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    Ball joints are covered under 3/36K basic warranty & extended warranty if you purchased it.
  • Options
    teebarr05teebarr05 Member Posts: 5
    I didn't purchase the extended warranty because figuring that I owned a Honda, known for dependability and being long-lasting, that I shouldn't be worried about things like this happening until after 100,000 miles (after an extended warranty would have expired anyways). Luckily for me, this happens roughly 4,000 miles after the warranty expires :cry:
  • Options
    richards38richards38 Member Posts: 606
    Ford made a V4 for use in the German, Ford Taunus in the 1960s.

That engine was also used in Saab cars of the late '60s after Saab's 2 cycle, 3 cylinder engine was dropped.

See site below......Richard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Taunus_V4_engine
  • Options
    dgreeneydgreeney Member Posts: 3
    2003 Honda Accord EX, 37,500 miles. Radio lights went out. Dealer says Its a common problem. The repair consists of changing the radio tuner unit. $630. Seems strange. Any ideas on how to fix it less expensively?
  • Options
    b4icemanb4iceman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Accord EX, 41,500 miles. Radio lights went out twice on it. I called the local dealer and they gave me about the same pricing, plus labor since my car wasn't under warranty. I called Honda Customer Service 1(800) 999-1009 and I opened a case. They reviewed it and called me back the next day and they gave me a "Goodwill" new replacement free. I brought my car in yesterday and they examined it for the whole and told me to bring it back because they ordered a new car radio for it. So I will be bringing in my car next week, hopefully it will be fixed next time.
  • Options
    mj01mj01 Member Posts: 4
    AC on driver side working great when I first bought my '04 Accord EXL. Since about 10,000 mi, driver's side vents have been blowing just air (passenger side is working fine). First time to dealer, they said nothing wrong. Second time they had it 3 days and said dual AC system is complicated & the only thing they found was a leaking "o" ring they replaced and recharged refrigerant. The driver's side AC vents are STILL blowing just air. If I turn temp to heat and then back to AC, the passenger side vents instantly blow cold A/C, but the driver's side continues to blow hot air. Has anyone else had this problem and know what causes it? I want to go back to the dealer again to correct this and get my AC back to the way it was before the warrantee runs out. :confuse:
  • Options
    dynamitedandynamitedan Member Posts: 8
    Leland,

I just had my 05 tinted and did some research before going to a tint shop. It turns out Honda had been using plastic where the windows rub on. The tint shop covered the plastic piece up with a scratch resistant fiber so the tint won't scratch. It cost extra but the alternative was that it would eventually scratch. I confirmed this with my dealer because I thought the tint shop was just selling me more stuff but it was confirmed by the service department. A tint shop that has worked with Hondas should know this by now....it probably doesn't help you since in 2003 they were just figuring this problem out. If they redo it again make sure they add something to cover up the plastic piece.
  • Options
    gwendolyngwendolyn Member Posts: 46
    Another question, the car has "touring" tires from Bridgestone or BF Goodrich...one of them....would these tires cause vibrations and noise...what tires ride good and are quiet?

Thanks again!!

Gwen
  • Options
    accordowner2accordowner2 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2005 Honda Accord Automatic EX a few months ago and have had major problems. First off it was making a high pitch whistling noise anytime I accelerated over 65mph. Took it to the dealer, they blew it off initially said it was normal. Took it to the dealer again, which they had my car for almost two weeks...said they had to replace the transmission. Got it back, noise was gone. However I just noticed between 15-25 mph it makes a grunting noise just to accelerate past 25 mph, I will be taking it back to the dealer. In addition, I have had several problems with the modling on the roof popping loose. I have had the left side replaced once and the right side replaced three times. Now onto the brakes, I feel as though they are too loose and don't stop quick enough. Took it to the dealer, they claim they are fine. Has anyone experienced any of the similar problems or if there is any releif for a new car buyer especially since this car is BRAND new.
  • Options
    accordowner2accordowner2 Member Posts: 2
    I was experiencing that same problem with my 05 Accord at speeds above 65. I took it to the dealership, we test drove it on a quiet highway without rush hour traffic. They contacted Honda Moters regarding the problem. Some how the noise is related to the transmission. So they completely changed out my transmission and put in a brand new one. Noise is gone. But now I'm dealing with another problem.
  • Options
    I think it's the high voltage switching power supply which is used to turn on the florescent (sp?) light of the LCD failed. A bad design could easily blow up the circuit. Since this power supply is inside the radio unit, it will be easy for the dealer to replace the whole component.
  • Options
    Were you using AUTO mode for your AC use?
  • Options
    fatgathfatgath Member Posts: 1
    I recently removed a cd changer that I installed a few yrs back on the 00 Accord EX. Problem is, when I turn the ignition key, the radio (stock CD) lights up, but is completely blank...no codes..no errors...nothing.

I can't turn it off/on, but it will accept (and eject) cds, of course they won't play.

I have not altered the stock wiring harness at all.

Any thoughts??
  • Options
    tigerjenntntigerjenntn Member Posts: 5
    I have a 4-cyl '03 EX, new in Sept. '03. My 3rd Accord since '97. No problems at all with the first 2, but with this one...
    *Driver's window has rattled since 1K miles. Now the passenger window rattles and creaks are coming from the rear windshield. The pesky noises drive me nuts!
    *Rotors resurfaced at 19K (mostly hwy miles) under warranty.
    *Brake pads replaced and rotors resurfaced again at 36K miles (I have never before had to replace brake pads on any car I've had or have rotors resurfaced, even up to 50K miles!) NOT under warranty, but the dealer split the cost w/me when I complained about never having these problems w/any other vehicle, especially a Honda.
    *O2 sensor replaced at 42K miles (malfunction indicator lamp came on at 38K miles) NOT under warranty.

I called Honda Motor Corp. to complain about the O2 sensor failing just a few thousand miles outside the 3/36 warranty. Much to my surprise, they sent me a check to reimburse me for the entire amount - close to $300!

My husband also has a 4-cyl. '03 Accord EX, new in Oct. '03, and has had similar problems with the brakes. At 16K miles had to have rotors resurfaced (under warranty) and his CD changer quit working. Thankfully that was also covered under warranty - that would have run us about $1000.

After having 2 newly redesigned Accords, I'm not sure if I will get another brand spanking new Honda right after it rolls off the assembly line. I think I'll wait a few years until they work out the bugs. :D
  • Options
    ensembleensemble Member Posts: 3
    I have recently started noticing an intermittent humming noise coming from the driver's side dash. My Accord has 71K miles. Generally the faster I drive, the more likely it is to show up (I've never heard it when the car is not moving). If the noise shows up while braking, its generally louder, then disappears when I stop braking. Seems to also show up when I go over a bump.

I almost want to say it sounds like a speedometer cable vibration (sounds like its coming from behind the speedometer dial), but I'm not sure if modern cars even have one. I'm thinking maybe its a fuse or relay starting to go bad.

Vehicle is under extended warranty so I plan to have the dealer look at it, but wonder if anybody here is familiar with this problem. :confuse:
  • Options
    dontreply0dontreply0 Member Posts: 1
    My 93 Accord makes a squeaking noise on the front passenger's side when making right turns and occasionally when going over bumps at low speeds. This problem seems to be getting worse, and I know next to nothing about cars so I am quite worried. What could be causing this, and how serious does it sound?
  • Options
    mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    It's hard to diagnose the problem without actually hearing it.

Many suspension components under your car are mounted in rubber. Over time, the rubber will wear which can cause more movement. When that happens, squeaks can start. Very rarely does that mean the car is unsafe, it just means the car is showing it's age.

Eventually you may want to have the car inspected just to make sure there isn't something more serious. Some of the major auto service places will do free inspections.

Now, can you put up with the noise without having it fixed is another question.
  • Options
    When using either AUTO or dual control, the AC on the driver's side was working great when I first purchased the car, but now the driver's side vents have been blowing just air (passenger side is still working great). If I turn temp to heat and then back to AC, whether using AUTO or dual control, the passenger side vents instantly blow cold AC, but the driver's side continues to blow hot air. If I then turn the AC off then back on again and use dual control and turn the driver's side AC all the way to LO, the driver's side vents eventually blow cooler (not cold AC) air after about 45 minutes, but that's only because the temp in the car eventually cools down with the AC working on the passenger side. :confuse:
  • Options
    mstefmstef Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 Honda Accord V6 that makes a crunching, grinding noise between 0 and 15 MPH. It only happens when the car has been off and parked for a while, like first thing in the morning, when I leave for lunch or at the end of the day. After it happens once, it doesn't happen again until the car has been off and sitting for a while. The car is currently with the dealer. They had it all day yesterday and could not duplicate the noise. (I find this hard to believe since it is a very consistent occurance.) The service tech did advise me that it could be the ABS pump kicking in and that its normal. I've had many cars with ABS and the grinding noise its making definitely isn't normal. Anyone else have this problem? If so, what was done to correct it?

Thanks!
  • Options
    araymond1araymond1 Member Posts: 22
    I just got my honda accord V6 coupe a week ago and I have the same problem! I took it to the dealer this morning and they said that it could just be the air conditioner starting up, went home and fooled around with the AC...definitley not the problem...the AC makes a different sound. I've also only heard it after the car has been off for awhile, and it happens when it automatically shifts gears. I"m going to go back to the dealer this evening, but this is a very frustrating problem since the car has to sit awhile for it to occur. Let me know if you find out what the problem is, i'll try to talk to the dealer this evening and let you know what they say.
  • Options
    stephens1stephens1 Member Posts: 6
    I was surpised to see several similar complaints in messages posted over just the past week. I don't whether to be encouraged (it's a common, minor noise that's not a problem) or discouraged (Honda's recent AT problems are recurring).

At any rate, what I have noticed on my new car is what I would call a "clunking" sound when either shifting into drive or the AT shifting from first to second. It only occurs once and only on a cold engine. (Usually after it has sat all day or all night.) I did notice a duller noise once after the car had sat about an hour. But nothing after the initial noise while driving or after short stops. Like a couple of other posters, I also had the impression that I could slightly "feel" it through the gas pedal, but frankly I'm not sure if that's my imagination or not. I can definitely hear it, however. Also, unlike one other poster, my noise does not sound like "grinding" but more of a clunk like something is loose.

At any rate, I have an appointment with my dealer. Will let the board know what they say. (Though replicating the problem, unless I leave it all night in the future, may be a challenge. I'm planning to let the car sit at the dealer for about 1 1/2 hours prior to my appointment.)
  • Options
    enchiladaenchilada Member Posts: 40
    More bad news. I'm very disappointed with both my dealer and Honda.

The dealer called and said the car is ready. The airbag light mysteriously turned off, they checked the sensors, they reset the computer codes. They had no acceptable explanation on why the airbag light came on in the first place or why it turned off. They did say that the driver's side bag was not operational when the light came on, however. That was indicated by their diagnostic computer. I go in with the service manager, demanding an explanation...that I didn't want a car back with a SAFETY problem that they couldn't diagnose or repair. Just because the light turned off doesn't mean the car is fixed. He acknowledged that the light MIGHT come back on again! He asked if we used a cell phone in the car! Well, yes, sometimes we have a cell phone with us, like the rest of America. He said that a cell phone can interfere with the air bag sensor/system, effectively turning off the system. Can you believe that? If that's true, SHAME ON HONDA and every '05 needs to be recalled! Can you imagine how many people might be out there with non-functioning airbags if this is the case? This is a SAFETY ISSUE!

Well, we pick up the car and the light turns on again, about 1-2 miles into our journey back. My cell phone is resting in the cupholder area, which is exactly the feature the Honda salesman pitched to us before we bought the car... plug in your charger in the 12V socket in the middle console, guide the wire out the specially-designed gap, and be on your way. What a crock.

So the car's back in service again. They're going to call "Honda Tech" this time. Well, they said that the first time. We've been without the car almost 1/3 of the time we've owned it. Less than 1K miles on it.

I'm complaining to Honda, the Honda Dealer, and any other state/fed agency I can find. This is not at all funny.
  • Options
    arawamisarawamis Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2005 Accord V6 AT Sedan and have the same issue with my car as well (in the morning at low speed I hear a low noise and feel something (like something tipping ) at the pedal). Indeed, I mentioned about this grinding noise and feeling at the pedal last week or the week before in this forum. It seems like this issue is pretty common in new V6's. There was another guy who said that he has the same thing with his V6 Coupe (check previous messages). I did not bring my car back to the dealer. it has ~2000 miles on it and I am waiting for oil change or 5000 maintenance. While waiting for that, I like to know what dealaers say to the ones who have the same problem (if it is a problem). I may take an action earlier if the cars mentioned above ends up with diagnosis of a major technical problem. Please keep us posted guys.
  • Options
    tracey13tracey13 Member Posts: 1
    This is by far the worst car I've ever had, it's a maintenance nightmare. I originally purchased a honda because of its reputation, but my experience has been awful. My car is in the shop every 3 months for something new. I live in a city so don't need access to the car, have very low mileage on it (60k) for a '97, but the problems never end. I'm finally throwing in the towel. If I can't feel safe in my car when I drive it, why own one? I'm very disappointed and will never buy a honda or acura product again.
  • Options
    My guess is the temp sensor inside the car (located near the dash board) failed.
    Have you tried this setting? Turn on AUTO, leave dual control off. Turn the temp knob all the way to LO. Do you feel the cold air blowing from driver side vent?
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    arawamis,

That's not a "Crunching, grinding noise". It is your Antilock Brake System (ABS) self-test. Your car will perform that self-test every morning within the first few seconds of slow driving. It is completely normal to the seventh generation (2003 and on) Accords.
  • Options
    swisskittyswisskitty Member Posts: 3
    "What my friends did for fogged headlamps was use a plastic polishing compound, I am not sure of the name, and some different levels of sandpapber grit to get it back to mostly stock. They did this on an Avenger and it looked almost new. They started with a coarser grit and then went to a finer one in either 3 or 4 steps. Starting at like 1220 grit then ending up at 2000 grit. It was mostly elbow grease."
  • Options
    ken972ken972 Member Posts: 162
    I believe we are talking about 2 different issues here. The normal noise that the ABS makes and the crunching noise that is made sometimes when you turn on the a/c or in my case push the auto button. Ive been curious what that is as well. THe a/c usually turns on smoothly..but sometimes I do get that crunching sound.
  • Options
    Blane, could you provide a link to some documentation relating to this? My 2005 manual does not mention an ABS self-test or any "normal" noises associated with it. Thanks in advance.

P.S. How does the ABS system know when it's morning???
  • Options
    mstefmstef Member Posts: 4
    OK, just picked my car up at the dealer. They too say the noise is the ABS self check and that its normal. They gave me a copy of a service bulletin from 03/04 that reads as follows:

ABS Grunts When Doing a Self-Check

Are owners of vehicles with a "compact" ABS complaining of hearing a short grunt or groan when backing or moving the vehicle forward after its been sitting awhile? It could just be the ABS doing its self-check. A compact ABS has a modulator, a pump, and an accumulator all rolled into one. (Later model vehicles don't even use an accumulator.) The system is designed to do a self-check when the vehicle reaches a speed of at least 7 mph either forward or backward after sitting. So the grunt is normal; it doesn't mean there's a problem with the ABS. On some models, you'll even feel a vibration through the brake and accelerator pedals when you hear the noise.

You can show your customer just how this ABS self-check works by connecting the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) to the 16P data link connector, and running the ABS function test. (This test cycles the ABS solenoid and runs the ABS pump.) The noise from the test may be louder than the noise made by the actual ABS self-check, but it lets you customer hear the noise and helps you to determine if the noise is ABS-related or coming from another source.

Even though the noise is "normal", I still feel like its a terrible system. Whatever happened to Honda being so concerned with the NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) characteristics of their cars? I don't know about others on this forum, but I'm starting to wonder if Honda has lost a step or two? Their cars just don't seem to be as well made as they once were. Maybe its time to take another look at the American manufacturers.

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply.
  • Options
    ramidaramida Member Posts: 67
    I told you, these 7th generation Accords are CRAPPY CRAPPY CRAPPY!

REALLY HATE THESE LOW-QUALITY HONDA. :-(

Disappointed big-time,

ramida
    Sad owner of a stuttering, horsey, weakling 03 Accord
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Give me break. It's for a half second after the car has sat for a while. What do you mean "Honda has lost a step"? They just have thier own braking system design. Just like they designed the Vtec system and other parts of the car that are Honda specific.

But then again there IS the Malibu or G6 or even a Ford 500. I mean somebody has to buy them. Might as well be the people that can't stand the ABS self check in the Accord.

I've owned 3 7th gen Accords. Can't complain.
  • Options
    neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    My wife's 2003 Accord V6 has the very same two noises.....the first is the abs self check, which occurs after you get rolling right around 8 mph or so. The second noise occurs just after you shift it into drive.....there is a slight clunk or crunch, whatever you would like to call it. All of this is normal. We have over 30K miles on our Accord with no problems whatsoever.....it has been the most reliable vehicle we've owned....it has yet to be back to the dealership for anything other than oil changes. Enjoy the Accord, it's a great vehicle, and once you get used to the way it behaves, you will not notice it!!
  • Options
    I am glad to have this news. At least now I know that it happens to all Honda's and it has a reason. On the other hand, I am not very happy with my Honda either. When I bought the car I had to return it to the service for a problem of "drifting to the right". At first, they worked on it and then said that it was done. However, it wasn't fixed and I had to return it to the dealer with the same issue for a second time. At the second time one of the most experienced technicians test-drove the car and acknowledged that there was a drift to the right. They worked on the car for about 3-4 hours and performed all the alignments as well as moving the subframe over the chasis. My V6 had only 150 miles on it at that time. Anyway, I am at least happy with my dealer and service. But I am disappointed with the car little bit. After "drifting to the right" issue, then this so-called ABS self-test phenomenon appeared. Guys, I have a crappy 97 Chevy Cavalier, but even that car does not perform an ABS self-test like that (yes it has an ABS) and does not drift to the right or left. Indeed, I have never felt anything uncomfortable while driving the Chevy. Now, I feel so many things while driving my new Honda Accord V6. I have always thought that the technology and performance of Japanese cars are exaggerated in US. Noone trusts to Japanese cars in Europe. They seem like right. This is my first Japanese car and at my first opportunity I will trade-in it and get a European car. BTW, except those minor issues my Honda drives pretty well. I mean it is not that bad. But, it has not met my expectations. I have needed to spend so many hours on forums like this to understand what is wrong with my car. And this is annoying. Now, I am thinking about what would be the next issue. To be honest, I have not spend much time on forums even for my Chevy. I am not even a member of Chevy Cavalier forum because I never needed that upto now.
  • Options
    4runnering4runnering Member Posts: 10
    I realize this topic has been discussed in depth.
    But just checking to see if Honda has any new TSB's or updates to fix the sunroof rattles that plague some of the accords on this board. Any info would be great. My patience with this noise maker is running out, 5th time to dealer for a fix.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    pj23pj23 Member Posts: 158
    I think this discussion has now surpassed the borders of normalcy. For all of you so disgusted with your Accords that you can't stand them, please do us a favor and get rid of them. Buy a Malibu. Someone will gain a very nice, dependable used car.

It would be nice (for once) for people posting to (a) search the archives to see if your question has come up and been answered (how many times has the ABS self-check been discussed?); and (b) once the question has been answered, not to continue on writing about how awful a car your Accord is and that you can't wait to get rid of it, even after problems have been remedied.

Nothing made by humans (which includes Hondas, so far as I know) is perfect. People are going to have problems with Hondas. Accept it. This board is for us to discuss solving those problems and relating experiences in that regard. But it has degenerated into such a Honda bash-fest that the value of the board is significantly diminished.
  • Options
    pj, relax man. as you said, any man made product will not be perfect. However, Honda's are presented in the market as if they are. The same for Toyota etc. They are all man made and they have issues. The wrong thing is to try to supress those issues. This is why we have forums like this.
  • Options
    atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    Against common belief (of consumers and even dealers), I'm almost certain the crunch/grind sensation is due to the V6's Traction Control System and not the ABS. Broken record: we have both 4 and 6 cyl variants of the 03 and only the 6 has that characteristic.

Any one out there with a "grunching" 4 cylinder ?
  • Options
    mstef, thanks for the additional information. Here's what I learned today that confirms what you were told:

1. I did a self-diagnosis on my cold engine by removing the ABS fuses prior to start-up (#17 &#18 on my model).

- When I started the car and took a short test drive, the noise did NOT occur.

- When I repaced the fuses and took another short test drive, the noise DID occur.

2. I took my car to my Honda service department for my previously scheduled appointment (I let it set for more than a hour prior to the appointment) and had their specialist (who was very knowledgeable and helpful) go with me for a short test drive.

- The noise DID occur, and he confirmed that it was the ABS system doing an initial test of the system. (He also replicated an A/C compression "clunk" that regularly occurs on start-up if the A/C is on.)

-The specialist also explained WHY the ABS noise occurs (and why it didn't on prior generation Hondas or on many other types of cars), and it apparently has to do with the engineering specs that enable Honda to get a "lot of engine" into a very small space and the need to make everything very compact. He said this approach is what led to the transmission issues in earlier 7th generation Hondas, but that they fortunately have not seen these types of problems in the 2005s because Honda replaced/upgraded the most troublesome parts.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Mine is a V6, and you could be right, but as a point of reference when I disabled TCS (via a button on the dashboard), I still got the noise. Only when I disabled the ABS did the noise not occur. However, I was told the TCS and ABS systems are tightly integrated, so it's a possibility that the ABS on V6s is designed differently from V4s.
  • Options
    Even when I turn on AUTO, dual control off, and turn temp to LO, the driver's side vents are still NOT blowing cold AC air
  • Options
    I guess, after all the result is that we should learn to live with it! To be honest I don't like to have that noise and feeling under my foot at each start especially in the morning (I feel like that thing during the day as well once the car stands still long enough). Honda Accord is quite a large car. Therefore I do not understand the 'compactness' explanation. Are we talking about mini cooper?
    Anyway, live with it or leave it. That is the conclusion.
  • Options
    phastphil1phastphil1 Member Posts: 24
    I have 17 years in the auto business, and all ABS systems make noise when the cycle. As the cars continually get quieter, you here more noise form related mechanical systems that used to covered up by engine noise. Have you noticed that with most new cars you barely hear the engine idling anymore? Honda hasn't done anything different. You want to go back to domestic, listen to power steering pumps. fuel pumps, and some of the other systems and see how much noise they make.
  • Options
    tslonetslone Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 honda accord and recently replaced the battery, now i need the code and have heard differently re:obtaining this info, does anyone have info re:this? Do i have to go to the dealer? (as i bought it used from the prev. owner?) PLZ HELP!! thanks :cry::cry:
  • Options
    FukuyamaFukuyama Member Posts: 75
    Hello all,
    Finally I can pos :) t !!!! Ok here is my question. I have a 1990 Honda Accord. I just came back from a long drive from Miami-Montreal-Miami. I really love my car. It has 123 K miles. It is getting a bit rusted above the rear tires, and makes a bit of noise when turning. Apart from that, that car is running just fine. Oh by the way, I haven't figured out how in hell water gets in the trunk!!!! Any help?

I am thinking of keeping it. Repainted and do the small repairs. I wouldn't mind to spend a thousand bucks ...I really like my car.

Do you guys think it is time to change or I should keep it?

I just changed the timing belts.... What else should I change at thispoint?

Thanks in advance....and thanks to Joe for the help!!!
  • Options
    joonjoon Member Posts: 121
    I know a lot has been said about the subject of grinding noise when we start the car in the morning due to the ABS self-test. One thing that has not been mentioned and I believe is related to this self-test is the sudden acceleration when the car starts to move after the engine is cold. I have an 05' EX AT 4cyl and it does that pretty much every day, whether I'm reversing from my garage in the morning or moving forward as I leave the office at the end of the day. This is particularly annoying due to the very light feel of the brakes. Once the car starts moving and you hit the brakes, if you push the brakes a little too light the car doesn't stop completely, and if you hit the brakes a little too hard, it stops suddenly. Has anybody else had similar experience? Any way to solve it? Or is this also one of those learn to live with it!? Other than this my car runs great.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Water in the trunk is often due to leaking gaskets around the tail light lenses.

Dry out the trunk, spreak newspaper under the area where the tail lights are. Turn on the hose or go through the car wash---check to see if the newspaper is wet just there and nowhere else.

As for "how much to spend"---your problem is that your car is 15 years old and getting rusted---so you have to get into cost control here.

Why don't you shop the classified and see how much a clean 1990 Honda can be purchased for? Maybe you are better off buying a really nice used one instead of sinking money into a rusted car, which really has very little value....or at least be very careful how much you spend on it.

I think $1,000 is just about the limit I would advise you to spend---if that makes it 100% safe and reliable, sure, okay, you can't buy much in a used car for that....but if it's more, you might be better off putting that $1,000 towards a cleaner older Honda car in the $3,000-$5,000 range.
  • Options
    jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    ENOUGH ALREADY !!!
  • Options
    temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    Guys, I purchased an 05 Honda Accord EX-L in April. It is my first Honda and I love it. I now have 10,000 miles on it. I can't believe that you are bothered by the ABS self-check. Come on, there is nothing to it. That does not bother me in the least. It is just a little sound when you start the car. You are wanting too much perfection. Your other choice would be to not have the ABS; that would definitely solve the problem. I am glad mine does it; I then know it is working.