Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• aje62aje62 Posts: 1
    Hello Guys, I posted my first message yesterday, but I think it's lost with a few of the others. I'm wondering if anyone has any invoice price info on the '02 RL. Edmund's site is still showing '01 prices. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • demigodhdemigodh Posts: 3
    Hey, this is my first post to edmunds. I'll try to be as specific as i can. Ok, i would like to know the advantages/disadvantages between the 1997 Acura RL Premium w/o navigation as compared to the Infiniti q45. I'm torn between which one to get. I know the Inifiniti has the V8 but i don't know what the acura has over the infiniti. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dan
  • joelraabjoelraab Posts: 5
    Question: My '99 RL has factory installed Michelin Tires. Would a different type of tire give me more solid road feel?

Thanks.
  • automophileautomophile Posts: 780
    TIRES:

Joelraab - The Michelins are in general great tires, but I doubt that they put the really good ones one - Pilots, etc. If you want a better road feel and handling, go to a larger tire that is wider, but lower profile, so the overall height is the same. For instance, if you have a 60 series tire, and go one or two sizes larger, but in a 55 series tire, it will be about the same height. The lower profile tire will give you more steering responsiveness and better handling, at the expense of a little bit of ride.

You do not want to just go to a larger tire, as this may affect your speedometer and gas mileage, etc.

Here is a very cool tire size calulator to let you see how different sizes and profiles affect the size of the tire.
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
  • jeff88jeff88 Posts: 94
    I replaced the factory michelins on my '96 rl with the same size dunlop 5000's. They are far less costly, ride as nicely and quietly as the michelins and handle/grip the road better. Check them out at www.tirerack.com.
  • tgif888tgif888 Posts: 351
    2002 RL w/o Navigation $38469

2002 RL w/ Navigation $40228
  • Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with purchasing a 2001 RL at below the dealer invoice as suggested by edmunds.com. (Invoice: ~$37,500 TMV:~$35,500).

I am in the market for mid $30k sedan and RL seems like a good deal at mid$30k mark. (At $40k , I won't even look at it... overpriced.) If someone has any experience purchasing a 2001 RL in the last few weeks, please let me know how the deal went. You can also e-mail me at bbs_e30_m3@yahoo.com . Thank you.

p.s. Would you buy TL typeS over a RL ? TL-S seems a lot more for value, but I need a more "luxury" car. Thanks.
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,795
    There is a $3000 dealer incentive on the '01 RL. That's how the TMV is so low. They're getting scarce.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    And they're flyin' out the doors! Are you aware that the '02 is a new ride? The TL & Type S are both great cars; both are more performance oriented and, as such, quite a bit smaller feeling on the inside. In actuality, such measurements as leg room, etc., are nearly identical between the TL and RL, but the more vertical rake to the A-pillar and the layout of the console make the RL seem larger while the TL feels more like a cockpit. That choice is subjective, but there is no doubt that the cash difference between the two on a feature basis gives the advantage to the TL.

That said: I'm buying an RL. An '02, in fact. To me, it drives that much better.

Thanks for the numbers, TGIF ... where did you find them, may I ask?

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • tgif888tgif888 Posts: 351
    www.carsdirect.com
  • What is the exact change in a '02 RL over '01 RL? I can't seem to find any info by just looking at either the Acura site or other car sites. Does a '02 offer better engine dynamics? Does '02 offer a better suspension (stability control system) that is not present in '01.

Lastly, I got a quote of $36,000 + $41 tag, title for a '01 RL... does this seem fair or should I push the envelop further.

Thanks for all your inputs.

-Sean
  • devlopperdevlopper Posts: 44
    When you look at the prices for the 2001 RL, press the button to "PRICE THIS VEHICLE WITH OPTIONS". This will allow you to enter your zipcode and choice of color. This gets the TMV fined tuned for your area. I'm in the Midwest, Twin Cites metro, and the TMV for my area is $35,249. From that price, you deduct the incentive of $3,000 from ACURA. Tomorrow, I'll visit a dealer or two and make my offer of $32k, plus tax and license. I'll let you know Monday what happens.
    If you offer 32, they'll laugh. Their 'invoice' is 37589 -- 3000. That's a nationwide number. 36000 is about normal for an '01. You can, however, get a nice TL for 32000, or an off-lease '98 RL.

bbs, the changes in the '02 are in 'feel' more than something you can see. The 'big' change they're touting is the extra 15 hp that came from a more 'open' exhaust they call variable because it changes its resistance as you press on the pedal to "open it up." Nice, but more important I feel are the thicker sway bars front and rear, retuned braking for a firmer and earlier action, and the change in the final drive ratio that helps the top end. I also like the new 7-spoke wheels, and the availability of On-Star (tho I've never had it and don't know if it's worth the monthly fee -- any experience?)

Hope this helps.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • devlopperdevlopper Posts: 44
    The RL was selling below invoice prior to the March 1st effectivity of the Customer Incentive. What I did was simply take that number, (specific to my region) subtracted the incentive and made my offer over lunch. Of course they did not laugh, why would they? They would not be in business long with that attitude. What they did was counter with 32.5k. Now, all I have to do is choose between the RL and TL tS.
  • qwallsqwalls Posts: 406
    What dealer?! I think it's time for a road trip...

Quentin
    Me, too. that's really incredible! Good luck. I think I might get one for resale here at that price.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi from Edmunds.com's PR Department.

A journalist from one of the country's largest newspapers has asked us for help finding consumers who recently purchased a Lexus L430, Mercedes C class or BMW 3 series after considering a more expensive vehicle, or anyone who recently considered purchasing a luxury vehicle, but decided not to because of the economy.

If you fit this description and care to share your story, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com and/or rpopely@tribune.com with your e-mail, phone number, city and state of residence, and a brief description of your experience. The journalist promises to keep you identity hidden at your request.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Jeannine Fallon

Director of Public Relations

PLEASE NOTE: Respond by clicking on the email addresses above. Responses posted here will NOT be seen by the folks who want to hear from you. Thanks!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,703
    horsepower, and why Acura ought to (hopefully) raise it soon...the TL-S has 260 HP, thrumors on the Infiniti I35 for 2002 is 260 HP, everyone on the Lexus ES300 board seems to believe that for the ES to compete with TL-S and I-35, it, too will raise its HP and probably call the car the ES330...if the "ES330" also has 250+ HP, they will also probably raise the GS300...with all of that, and all of those engines being V6s (except GS300), Acura would be pretty lame if their flagship sedan only put out 230-240 HP, and much of the competetion had more performance in cars of "lesser" models...my 2 cents...obviously I am dreaming of an RL (Legend?) someday, and a 275 HP engine with respectable MPG would be a nice luxury/performance vehicle...make those sway bars even thicker...
  • demigodhdemigodh Posts: 3
    Very Simple? Which is better, assuming without navigation?
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • mrdeeenomrdeeeno Posts: 53
    this rl's been around since '96, so the next one is due soon and is rumored to have a v8 and rwd.

so yes, acura knows that the lower tl/cl has more hp than it's flagship, but it's working on it.

hopefully, by being late, it can again be better (as with mdx).