Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• veritas7veritas7 Member Posts: 18
    Hate to sound green here but I just purchased an 07 RL. It doesn't have the little part on the top (kinda looks like a little hook) I was told was an antenna. The dealership said that they were only on the models before '07 but I've seen it on the models on the Acura website. They said that the antennas now are internal. Is this true? Is it an antenna? When I asked this question, there was hesitation so I'm not sure they knew either. Is it possible to get this put on? I think it looks rather sporty. Thanks.
  • tamparltamparl Member Posts: 42
    The sharkfin antenna was a component primarily to support ONSTAR. ONSTAR was discontinued on the 2007 models.

However, I have seen some 2007 models with the sharkfin even though there is no ONSTAR. The GPS and XM antennae are on the rear package shelf behind the rear seat. This is one of the reason metallic tint cannot be used on the windows. The AM/FM antenna is part of the rear window.

There seems to be some confusion about the sharkfin purpose on the 07 models as it supposedly is still utilized on the base (non Navi) model for 07.
    Did some research on this and...you're right. Also, the 07s with antennas were apparently built before they pulled the ONSTAR feature. So, some have them and some don't.
  • carfan28carfan28 Member Posts: 43
    That's 100% accurate.
  • vavavavolvovavavavolvo Member Posts: 110
    I just learned that the 08 RL is being introduced earlier than previous models. All orders now being taken are for 08's, and the first will arrive in late July early August. While this may be a simple marketing strategy to give people the "newer" car sooner, one wonders whether there might be some changes this year. We are several years into the cycle for this car.

I wonder if the MDX engine could wind up in the RL someday?
  • llwysellwyse Member Posts: 56
    It's good to see renewed activity on this site. I check it periodically, but haven't written for a long time. My 2005 now has 27,500 miles, and I couldn't be more pleased with the car and the dealer (Mathews in Marion, OH). Have had a few minor glitches, but nothing that has diminished my enjoyment and satisfaction. Still looks and smells brand new, and gets lots of comments now that I have the 18" wheels back on for the summer. Since I bought early, I overpaid, but I would definitely buy the same car at current prices. I'm not anticipating replacing it any time soon, though.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    That may explain the low inventory of 07's at several Acura dealers in my area.
    My area as well. When I purchased mine about three weeks ago, it had just come in and the dealership said they were expecting two more but that was going to be it until the 08's came in.
  • pharrickpharrick Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased an '07 RL and took delivery in Metro DC in early May... I wanted the Desert Mist paint version, and apparently there was none to be found on the entire east coast, so my dealer located one on a freighter heading for Seattle. So far, I've been pleased with every aspect of my purchase. I have to say though, that opinions of "professionals" who have reviewed/test driven the RL are anything but consistent, while owners are almost unanimous in the praise for the car.
    I agree. The opinions run the gamut. I, for one, don't need a V8 (the complaint I hear most). In all my research and test driving everything, and I do mean everything I am quite satisfied. I have the black on black tech package.
  • ticker2ticker2 Member Posts: 2
    My 02 RL has 80k miles and has been a great car(my third Acura)but has one annoying noise problem. For the past two years,the combination of summer weather(+ 80 degrees) and about 40 minutes of driving results in a loud creaking or popping sound coming from the front. I can actually feel it traveling up the steering column. It seems to be weight bearing related as it makes the noise when the weight of the car shifts forward when stopping and when I shift my weight exiting the front door( even with the engine off). The dealer has checked it out several times without a solution. They acknowledge the noise but have no idea what is causing it.
    Any similar problems or recommended solutions?
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Interesting that you bought the 18" tires & rims. I remember our discussions in this forum re. this and asked my salesman about it. He said it would cost another $2,300 and that I may as well keep the O.E.rims and tires because they didn't swap them out. How does the ride compare between O.E and 18"? I will keep the car also and don't anticipate replacing the tires for another 2 years but will seriously consider going with the Michelin Pilot Sport Ultra High Performance. They are supposed to give a quieter ride and perform better in snow. I'm probably getting the same amount of snow here in SE Wi. as you in Ohio. Paying almost sticker for the 2005 early delivery RL was common. No regrets here! It's a great car. :) JJ
  • llwysellwyse Member Posts: 56
    Thanks for the response, JJ. I paid $2000 as I recall. They were on a car in the showroom. You are correct that the dealer will not swap out. The ride is a little stiffer than OEM due to the lower profile, but the offset is better handling and grip. I wouldn't rate them quieter than OEM, but they are comparable, IMO. Since they are directional, rotation is only front to rear, and I think they might be getting slightly noisier with wear. I am considering replacing them with an A/S high peformance tire when these wear out. Right now, I switch back to OEM wheels/tires for the 4 months of snowy weather. But I wonder how the 18" wheels will hold up with the winter chemicals. I don't have experience with this type of powder coated chrome finish in the winter. Does anyone else? I just love the looks of the 18s on the RL and would rather look at them year-round. My primary summer driver is a Porsche Boxster.

And I agree with the benefit of buying this car early (and high) -- we've had the privilege of enjoying our cars longer! :D
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Any word when the 2008 Acura RL will be out and if it will be a mid model refresh?
  • am_odessaam_odessa Member Posts: 7
    yep,

I use my 2006 RL to haul my kids, 10 & 3, around the town (car seat included). My older one just loves riding in RL, as he can enjoy all bells & whistles of the NAV technology - maps, traffic reports, current location with latitude & longitude etc.
  • carnutpacarnutpa Member Posts: 42
    I am taking a hard look at the 2007 RL. I test drove one today. It's a great car but I did note that I can hear the cars and trucks swishing by on the road. I had the radio off and all windows closed. I have a 2002 (5 year old) Cadillac DeVille and I can barely hear any outside noise.
    This is my main concern in contemplating the purchase. I am used to a quieter car and struggling with this issue. Any thoughts?
  • klisterklister Member Posts: 8
    I would take another test drive and make sure that the sun roof and visor are fully closed as well as all windows. My 2006 RL is one of the quieter cars that I have owned except for some tire noise. The ANC seems to do a good job. There is some tire noise from the stock tires and you may hear that otherwise I think something was open or not adjusted correctly on your demonstrator. What do others think?
    I would take another test drive. I chose the RL over the M35 and have had my '07 RL since the end of April. It's extremely quiet. As a matter of fact, it's one of the reasons I chose it over the M.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Just checked acura's website. They loaded information for the 2008 TSX 1st. Still, nothing on the RL. If i may, i would like to put in a few changes I'd like to see on the RL for its mid model change.

1st of all, acura needs to be more like audi and bmw in a sense. You can look up and day, "HEY, thats a BMW" because they share what i call a brand image. Acura lacks that about now. Bmw has the "corona lights", and Audi has the grille. While corny, it lets people be aware that it is an AUDI and BMW.

Also, if that failed, audi and BMW have something to fall back on as a plan B. Audi's luxurious interior and BMWs legendary handling. IMO Acuras plan B: "..." there isn't one. Acura has proved they know where the line that straddles sport and luxury lies and needs to continue along it.

A v8, RWD platform that can be shared between models, and a 6+AT. Heck, all the RL needs now is the 3.7l v6 a 6+AT, and cooled/heated seats (for those warm summer nights or cold winter morning). I also like the idea of just making 2 RL models. A base, a Tech, and a sport package for ALL acura models sounds good too! :)

-Cj
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Summing up and detailing what i said:

*Push button start (from s2000?)

*Heads up display

*7AT

*Stretch the current platform and add a v8. 320hp and 300lbs ft through SH-AWD. Come on, volvo has a 311hp v8... optional 250hp and 400lbs ft diesel

*Heated seats all around option with heated/cooled up front

*Quad zone temperature with the center arm rest having the controls

Basically what i'm saying is to make the RL more of an E-class competitor and the RDX MORE of an x3 competetor.

-Cj :)
    The 2008 RL is up on the acura web site. Looks to me there are no changes, but I don't currently own an RL. Can any current RL owner tell if there are changes?
    Some color combos dropped. No new content. Slight price increase.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    The 2008 RL is up on the acura web site. Looks to me there are no changes, but I don't currently own an RL. Can any current RL owner tell if there are changes?

I don't see any real changes, but I am confused. Some of the pictures very clearly show the "shark fin" antenna, and some very clearly show that it's not there. Are the ones with the shark fin, merely old pictures that they've included here? I've always liked it and hope it's on the new model, as well.

I wish they would add some new colors. I'm bored with all the usual RL colors.
    Several discussions have taken place in this forum about the OE tires and a number of owners have changed to the Michelin Ultra Performance A/S Pilots and swear by enhanced road handling and smoother ride. Has anyone combined this tire with the 18" wheel? Any comments regarding road noise, handling, ride?
    The sharkfin antenna is a vestige of ONSTAR. A few of the 07's came equipped with it before they decided to pull the feature. I have an 07 without the antenna. I'm assuming they won't be on the 08 model but I don't know for certain. Those just may be old photos.
  • quackquackquaquackquackqua Member Posts: 6
    I'm surprised people are saying they get better handling after replacing the OEM tires. The handling is already so good it's hard to picture any improvement. What I would like is less road noise. Any thoughts on quieter tires?
  • vince69vince69 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2006 RL and I am in the process of interfacing a cell phone with it. My first choice is the LG VX8300 using Verizon as my service provider. Anybody have any experiences with this model cell phone?
    Neb. Guy, It's been a while since we commented on the same subject...and also hard to believe well over 3 years have passed since many of us lit up the pages of this once "hottest forum" on Edwards. Good to see you around. I believe the 18" rims will put you into another tire type period, the low profile tire, and this will give you a firmer ride. Not sure about road noise with it. Just spotted a later model RL 2 days ago with 18" shiney chrome rims and have to be honest...it really distracted from the overall appearance of this handsome car. The OE rims were truly well designed and compliment the RL immensely IMO. I drove out to Denver and back in June which was about a 2,500 mile jaunt and finally observed the comfort level of these seats over a sustained period and the drivers side was great but I have to be honest, (When my wife drove) the passenger seat became uncomfortable and the lumbar support that I need wasn't there and caused mild sciatica pain which I haven't felt in several years. Spent the night across the River from your home state of Nebraska in Council Bluffs. Found our favorite coffee shop "Caribou" as we drove through Omaha. The RL Navigation system is the best! Cheers!
    JJ
    Neb. Guy, It's been a while since we commented on the same subject...and also hard to believe well over 3 years have passed since many of us lit up the pages of this once "hottest forum" on Edwards. Good to see you around. I believe the 18" rims will put you into another tire type period, the low profile tire, and this will give you a firmer ride. Not sure about road noise with it. Just spotted a later model RL 2 days ago with 18" shiney chrome rims and have to be honest...it really distracted from the overall appearance of this handsome car. The OE rims were truly well designed and compliment the RL immensely IMO. I drove out to Denver and back in June which was about a 2,500 mile jaunt and finally observed the comfort level of these seats over a sustained period and the drivers side was great but I have to be honest, (When my wife drove) the passenger seat became uncomfortable and the lumbar support that I need wasn't there and caused mild sciatica pain which I haven't felt in several years. Spent the night across the River from your home state of Nebraska in Council Bluffs. Found our favorite coffee shop "Caribou" as we drove through Omaha. The RL Navigation system is the best! Cheers!
    JJ

JJ, Thanks for your comments. I wondered whether the 18" tires might result in a firmer ride, which I definitely do not want. Glad to hear it was comfortable for a long drive. Whether it's in my 05 RL or a new 08 RL, I plan to take a very long driving trip throughout the Midwest right after I retire next spring. BTW, if you drove down I-80, through North Platte, you were within 35 miles of my childhood stomping grounds. I hope you enjoyed the drive across my home state.

EW
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    Re my 2005 RL:

My tires were inflated with nitro-fill. I now find that i cannot remove the valve caps - even a lockjaw won't budge them - they appear fused to the valves. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

Thanks.

Acuraphile
    WOW... the good old days on this forum are BACK!
    :)
    Always great to see YOU my man. Wish I had a solution for you.
    May I suggest you also add your message to the
    RL Maintenance and Repair forum. Just click on:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef4f332/802
    Take care and LMBRL George,
    JJAcura
  • theautowithintheautowithin Member Posts: 1
    Hi yall

I was wondering if any one knew, where to install the CD player in 1998 Acura RL or if u guys know where i can find the answer on the internet.

Thank you
    There is a TSB on this. By 2006 the valve caps were simply blue plastic. The dealer will replace the valves and caps under the TSB.
    The 08's are out, saw one at my local Acura dealer today.
    My opinion is that this is that if you come from a really quiet, smooth car (Lexus, Mercedes, Audi and many American models) you will notice road noise and harshness in the ride. The road noise is so bad that when on the highway I cannot use the speakerphone because no one can hear me. Maybe I am just spoiled but I would not buy another unless the road noise is addressed. When I mentioned it to my dealer, he said they have had a lot of comments from RL owners on this issue. I have an 06 RL, which in every other respect has worked well for me.
    I test drove an 2008 RL today and was shocked at how much road noise and harshness is let into the cabin of the RL. I currently own a 2005 TL and feel the ride is no better than a TL. I think the noise cancellation is a joke, you can't just cancel noise, you have to eliminate it. About an hour later I test drove a new 2008 Cadillac CTS and what a world of difference. The CTS was taut, but with no harshness, very luxurious. I hate to leave the Acura brand, but I want to trade up from the TL. Very disappointed in the ride quality of the RL. :cry:
    Did you check the tire pressure of the RL you drove? Dealers are notorious for leaving too much psi in the tires for cars sitting on the lot. 2-3 psi above rating will cause tire noise and harshness in the RL (as it does in the lower profile tires on the TL).

I traded a 2005 TL for a 2006 RL and the RL is worlds better than the TL in ride, quietness and build quality. The OEM Michelins will produce tire noise on coarse, grooved roads however. And most agree the OEM Michelins are not the best option tires.

The Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) is designed to cancel low frequency boom (tyical of engine and exhaust boom) but does not address higher frequency sound as typical of tire roar and wind noise.

The RL does very well in low wind noise, thanks to the flush side glass. Tire noise would require more sound insulation adding weight. There are always compromises with every car maufacturer and model.
    tamparl,

I did not check the tire pressure. I feel if a car has good insulating qualities a few extra pounds in the tires will not make too much difference. I may test drive another RL before I make a final decision.
  • elibrunoelibruno Member Posts: 16
    If you want a quieter ride, go with Lexus or a Caddy. For good road feel and BMW-like road capability, the Super Handling AWD of the RL is about as good as it gets. For me, this is the only European-feeling vehicle from Japan and I am happy to own, drive and HEAR it perform.
  • mycar8mycar8 Member Posts: 2
    Dear all.

I just bought this car from a friend this week.

The manuafacturer oringial tire size on this card is 215/60/16 with a V speed rating.

I would like to replace all 4 tires (it is time to replace tires anyway) with 225/60/16 with an H speed rating.

Costco Tire center staff would do it even if they do not recommend,saying it will feel very different with the slightly bigger/wider tires.

Anyone of you have tried this before and have any comments?
    I love to hear from you before I do anything.

Thank you all in advance!

a new member.
    I have my 2006 RL going on 2 yrs. I am ready to upgrade the stock tires. I want all weather tires (Boston weather) that are less noisy than the originals. I don't care a lot about tread use, I want a good performing tire that's quiet. Any suggestions?
  • carcrazy37carcrazy37 Member Posts: 12
    I just joined after reading a lot of the older threads. Others have recognized the tire noise and suggested the Michelin Sport A/S which they reported created less road noise, was all-season, and had better ratings than the OEM tires. see tirerack.com

My question: does anyone have high mileage on 2005 or newer RL, and any mechanical/electrical problems, esp. once out of warranty?
    I am seriously considering an 05 or 06 MB E320 but felt disappointed after reading threads about expensive repairs at 70+k miles.
    I currently have an 05 legacy GT with low profile rims and sporty bridgestone tires. NOT worth it. I would change rims and tires for a taller tire profile to get a smoother/quieter ride (still researching). I am on this thread bec. I want a more luxurious ride with reliability so I'm looking at the RL (vs MB e3204matic or c3204matic vs bmw 530xi). I am putting about 20k miles per year in an area with bad winter weather. I regret the legacy is a bit cheapo so looking for a change.
  • mycar8mycar8 Member Posts: 2
    can anyone confirm that taller and wider tires would let you to get a smoother/quieter ride?

Thanks.
    taller sidewall (keep total diameter of tire the same) allows for more flex in tire wall which helps absorb impact.
    Sports cars have low profile tires (small/narrow sidewall) to improve handling. Wider tire may worsen ride. I've found that tire QUALITY is what affects road noise. The tire dealers seem to know the best answer on that. I have found Michelin and Goodyear have been quiet on vehicles I've owned, whereas Pirellis, Bridgestone and Dunlops on those vehicles were loud. Hope that gives you enough info. I've found tirerack.com useful for additional research, then I went to my local/regional tire dealer, got their advice, selected a brand of tires based on a selection from their advice, and bought from them (which only cost a little more but worth the advice they gave me). Happy ever since.
    Speaking of Tires... and we've had a number of discussions regarding the OE Michelins on the 2005 RL. I had planned on replacing them at about 50,000 miles with the Michelin All-Season Pilot ultra performance sports. I finally talked to a very smart Acura service manager familiar with tires and he suggested that I reconsider because the tires I want are DIRECTIONAL, which is the first time in 3 years anyone has mentioned it. I suppose these tires will wear faster because you can only rotate them from front to rear (Keeping them on the right or left side only) This sounds like good information but I was wondering if there are any drivers out there with directional tire experience. Perhaps I've beaten this subject into the ground. One more little piece of information. This morning an old friend who also owns a 2005 just heard on good authority the 2009 Acura RL may be coming out with a redesign. That's good food for thought. Any confirmation on that would be appreciated. :)
    JJAcura
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I have a 2002 RL and the OEM tire size is 225/55/16. The car did not change much from 2000 to 2002. I would suggest this size for you although I think the 225/60/16 would also work just fine.

I just bought a new set of Yohohama Avid VAS 4's and they are much smoother and quieter than the continentals that were on the car. Not real expensive either at around $100 bucks a tire. I am very impressed with them.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• steveinindysteveinindy Member Posts: 48
    There used to be a separate RL message board for Bluetooth compatibility posts. I just wanted to advise everyone that I recently purchased a Sprint Treo 755p and it actually works with the RL Hands Free Link much better than the Treo 650, which is listed as a compatible device. The 755p is still listed as being tested for compatibility, but it works great and there is no screech when you first dial a call, as there is most often with the Treo 650. Also, the battery meter shows with the 755p, unlike the 650. Still enjoying my 2005 with 30,000 miles! Steve
  • 10sfan10sfan Member Posts: 136
    On my 2000 RL, currently with 75,600 miles, I stayed with the 215/60VR16 with my third set last October which are the Michelin Pilot Exalto/AS. Very happy with the performance in a upper midwest area.

Have had them inspected and rotated twice at the tire dealer as well as inspected for proper wear at the Acura dealer at oil changes. Better than expected wear and tear. I paid $400.00 plus tax last year.

They replaced 4 Continental extreme contact that lasted only 23,000 miles and were cupping and totally out of round.
    Obviously the worst tire performance I ever experienced in numerous vehicles over the past 45 + years of car ownership.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I have heard good things about the Michelin Pilots as well. It is amazing the difference a good set of tires can make. I was almost ready to trade my 2002 RL but the new tires will give it a couple more years of life!

My Continentals were also terrible. I did not know just how terrible until I got rid of them!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460