Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai XG300 and XG350

profittprofitt Member Posts: 1
I was disappointed after reading these two
websites -
www.autonews.co.nz/newsdisplay.asp?NewsID=335 and
www.autospeed.com.au/A_0409/P_1/article.html.
The New Zealand site states that the XG300 for
their country has the European specifications,
which means a stiffer suspension. But still, in an
alarming way, it wallows over full-size suburban
speed humps and has a tendency to float over
undulating roads.
I hope this car isn't going to be another
mushy-riding Toyota Avalon - with no performance
built into the suspension.
A week ago, a Hyundai dealer gave me a brochure on
the XG300; he said the cars would be arriving
September 21. The brochure shows tire size
P205/65VR-15; that's the same width and wheel size
as the Sonata, which weighs 500 pounds less; tires
seem small for performance driving.
I love the looks of this car and the many safety
features, but I will not take looks over
decent-sized tires and a taut suspension.
Handling, in my book, is classed as safety, and is
near the top of my list. I'll have to wait and
see what the American version has before making any
final decision on this car. I must not be enticed
by its handsome looks and its plush interior. I
want a driver's car - that looks good; I hope I can
get both.

Comments

• justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    then, as much as I admire Hyundai, you should go out and get a Passat! Beautiful, powerful, VW handling, and reliable and safe as well! Can't go wrong with the Passat.

Just a thought...;)
  • sonatafansonatafan Member Posts: 171
    Just checked out the details of this car on
    Hyundai's Korean website. I'm not into performance
    the way Profitt seems to be but I do like a car that can get out of it's own way. This seems to look like it will do just that and also have the looks and functionality. There is a Canadian review of this car at http://www.t-h-c.org that isn't too detailed but gives a good impression of a drive in it. Believe me, I'll be one of the first in the door at the showroom here in Columbus, OH when they arrive soon!
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    I think the XG-300 is absolutely gorgeous (almost as good looking as a Jag ;-), but still, it's a HYUNDAI for crying out loud!

A Passat beautiful? Is there one styling cue anywhere on the car? It's a refrigerator on wheels!
    I have a 00 Sonata that I bought last January and I have to tell you, They now offer the 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty because their cars have come a long way! The fit and finish, quality and so far the durability have been great on my Sonata! I took a chance when I bought mine but I'm glad I did because the current line of Hyundai cars are simply a good value for the price!
    Warranties are sometimes padded a bit to move cars out the door, but I'll bet it's nice to know you're covered til 2010. Best of luck with your sonanta, but I'll wait on real world results longer than 9 months before moving the brand over to my "good" list. Still, with the possible exception of the Tiburon, Hyundia does make some seriously good looking rides.
    Not to start an argument or unrelated comment, the new Sonata has been out 1 year, 9 months since it was first released at the beginning of the `99 model year. I completely respect your decision to wait it out a little while longer just to see how the new models fare. I hope someday Hyundai will be able to leave their junky image behind them, maybe once the Santa Fe and the XG are out for awhile......
  • volfyvolfy Member Posts: 274
    P205/65VR15 typically carries a 94V Load Index, which translates to roughly 1500 lbs at maximum tire pressure. For a car that weights 3400 lbs, this load carrying capacity is plenty, even under hard braking and cornering. Mind you that Toyota Avalon, which also weigh in about 3400 lbs, rides just fine on P205/65HR15 having the same Load Index.

Hyundai could've gone to 225/60R15 which has the same overall diameter but with a slightly higher LI of 96V and about 100 lbs more capacity. It would've been more satisfying appearance-wise, but the load rating difference isn't big enough to matter. Besides, the increase in rolling resistance and unsprung mass probably won't justify the slightly better dry road holding of the wider tire.

My $0.02.
    On a different note, I understand why Hyundai tuned the XG300 suspension that way. I read somewhere that they are targeting the same demographics as the Avalon - male 35-50yr old with household income of US$60k. The Avalon has been described as out Buick'ing Buick. If the XG300 is to cater to the same clientele, the floaty ride is unfortunately obligatory.

I wish the XG300 would do well in the States, and I think it will. Maybe in a couple of years, Hyundai will see fit to broaden XG300's appeal to include those of us wanting a little sportiness to go with the luxury.

For now, I could probably fix XG's suspension with aftermarket componentry, but no real manual tranny - no bite.
  • aimanaiman Member Posts: 61
    From the pics i've seen i like the xg300. I'm sure it'll raise Hyundai's image a step higher.
    Good to see you here Volfy. I agree with you about the tires/suspension. I wouldn't expect them to offer the XG with a completely manual tranny any more than you could get an Avalon with one. I used to enjoy driving, and driving a stick as well. I just bought my Echo with a 5 speed and love it but I'm on it 6 hours out of my workday in and out of traffic and miss my automatic sometimes. My wife just got a new job one mile from home so now I have an excuse to take the Sonata a day or two out of the week! ;-)
    I know exact what you mean. I've just recently relocated to Houston and am about to move to a new house that's 12mile/45minutes from work. While I'm sure that may not sound like much to a lot of folks, but I've being spoiled by 3mile/7minute commutes in the past. I don't really don't know how long my clutch leg will last before I give in and buy a slushbox. :-)

Maybe I will be looking seriously at the XG300 in a year or so.
  • suddenlysonatasuddenlysonata Member Posts: 19
    I've been having a VERY difficult time obtaining a new Sonata w/ pkg 13. Ordered a 2000 6 wks ago, first they didn't have my color, then after looking for ANY color in 5 states decided I'd have to wait a couple of weeks for 2001. It's been more than a couple of weeks (as they quoted me) and meanwhile my poor Toyota is taking revenge on me for replacing her by doing her best to die. After badgering the dealer every few days they finally found me a 2000 w/ pkg 13 and I went there tonight to pick it up, only to refuse delivery. It was supposed to be pearl white and wound up being Noble white, which is the one color which is totally unacceptable to me. I suppose if you like the color it is fine but I absolutely hate it and I'm not spending 20 grand on something I hate. So I walked away from the car, disappointed again. And I'm back to waiting for a 2001. I DID get a brochure on this trip though and noticed the XG - are they going to be available in the US for 2001? if so does anyone know when?? and for how much? any good sites to check out for more info? I did look at Hyundai's own site and she sure looks good! Also if anyone has seen the 2001 Sonata GLS w/ pkg 13 anywhere near Long Island NY please let me know, you'll have a friend for life!
  • peachvillepeachville Member Posts: 9
    Just came out of my Hyundai dealer here in Canada today and sat inside the XG300.

Ohhh MYYYY GOdddd !!! Baby I'm yours.

Will test drive it Saturday over speed bumps to confirm suspisions as well test the Santa Fe.

Price on XG is 31,000 Cdn.($369.00 lease less tax 4650 down) No Sonata GLS Platinum or pkg 13 available for 2001 because of XG300's aggressive pricing and introduction. So consider if you got the Sonata pkg 13 or Platinum as a kinda Special Edition.

This XG has features that the most expensive Mazda, Toyota, Honda, Acura, Nissan doesn't have.

But again as I've been told it's a Hyundai (pronounced hun-die) by lunk-heads, and it won't last. Funny my 93 Sonata has 172,000 klms on it. Seems to still be lasting and looking better than most 93 whatever's on the road.

Hyundai released also new 2001 elantra. It borrows a lot of the XG's styling cues (my opinion). As far as anyone telling me that a car is crap before I personally test it. They can pound salt. I switched to Hyundai in 93, and for the dollar nothing compares.And it's getting increasingly better.

Ask the new Sonata owners if their cars bottom out easily or wiggle over bad roads uncontrollably like described in the posted mags. I personally don't think they do. XG's suspension is a mirror of the Sonata's with even more refinement.

Will keep you posted on my test drives.
  • lfroh12492lfroh12492 Member Posts: 5
    How were those speed bumps?
  • giowagiowa Member Posts: 599
    Anyone interested in XG300 should get a brochure from dealer, look one over carefully on the lot, take it for a long test drive, and read over reviews by automotive press and others.

Tires: From the XG300 brochure... Curb Weight for both base and L shown at "3604". Volfy mentioned 3,400 lbs above. That is 204 lbs off. And I'm thinking curb weight isn't reflective of driver weight, full tank weight, etc. If you add 4 adults, full tank of gas, and luggage, you could quickly have the car over 4,200 lbs. Based on that not sure P205/65VR-15 a good choice. At very least there should be a tire/wheel size upgrade. Say to P225/60VR-16.

And note that the 3.0L V-6 puts out 192 hp at 6,000 RPMs and only 178 lb-ft of tq at 4,000 RPMs. Factor in the 3,604 curb weight and the standard automatic tranny, and the performance will likely be similar, if not worse, than Sonata GLS V-6 auto (and certainly worse than GLS V-6 manual). No gear ratios are given in brochure.

From '01 Sonata brochure... Sonata curb weight listed at a "mere" 3,069 (GLS manual) or 3,107 (GLS auto). Oddly enough, it shows base Sonata manual weighing in at 3,072. May have a typo here.

At least EPA rating for XG300 is 19/27. Sonata GLS auto is 20/27. GLS manual at 20/28.

Interestingly, while Sonata brochure says passenger compartment is 100 cubic ft and trunk another 13 cf, the XG brochure shows only trunk space (14.5 cf), with no mention of interior cf measurement. Wheelbase for XG300 at 108.3 vs Sonata's 106.3.

Interior dimension comparison:

Sonata XG300

Ft Head Room 39.3 39.7
    Ft Leg Room 43.3 43.4
    Ft Shoulder Room 56.9 56.9

Rr Head Room 37.6 38.0
    Rr Leg Room 36.2 37.2
    Rr Shoulder Room 55.7 56.2
    Kind of surprised to see you hangin' out in an XG300 site. Don't you drive a newish Nissan Frontier pickup truck and a '99 base Sonata (I-4)? Are you interested in buying an XG300? Surprised to see you might be interested. You seem to like to buy or work on pedestrian, utilitarian models. XG300 is rather loaded, esp. L version. I haven't seen pricing data yet, but likely more expensive than even a loaded Sonata GLS V-6 w/Pkg 13 (i.e., everything).
    Check my post in sonata forum #3.

As an adder.....this car is amazing! Didn't have a brochure to compare specifications, only went by my visual clues. However, side by side, the XG300 is larger than the Sonata only marginally. Trunk capacity is larger, cabin volume is more, car is longer and wider.

As far as those speed bumps, forget it. This car handled everything I could throw at it in a 2 minute test drive. Gravel, very bad railway tracks, really tight s-turns, dry and wet pavement. Suspension is very tight, very little body lean, very nice transmission shifting either manually (shich by the way is so cool) or automatically, using the silky smooth 5 speed.

The trip computor is realy neat, calculating your average speed, distance travelled, time travelled, distance to empty, fule economy.

The stereo is awesome...period.

The standard leather heated power driver/passenger seating is generous, supportive, comfortable, and very stylish.

The woodgrain enhancements remind me of BMW 740 at 50,000 less. Fit and finish is among the best. The cars style in my opinion looks like a lincoln LS/Infiniti Q45/something! It isn't a large sedan, and it doesn't need excessive power to get it moving. It moves out really smooth and passing power is readily available. Just ask the 300M owner, as well as the Maximum owner whose drool made unfavourable driving conditions, as to the XG's performance characteristics. It easily pulled to 160 klms on the highway, noise was very low, not undetectable, but very low. The car in my opinion could not possibly dip & dive as previously described unless it was driven at ridicules speeds into a 9" curb to produce such results. I would think any car at high speeds is going to produce some very uncertain results. If it was true, perhaps it was preproduction, cause the car I drove was probably one of the best performance sedans I have driven. I think Hyundai has retuned it suspension wise from anything tested and written about. I would not hesitate purchasing this car. It has features and abilities 50,000 cars don't. It just doesn't have heritage, recognition, or make people think " oh he/she's got money." But in my opinion owning and driving this fine machine will say that Ive got money, only I didn't have to sink it into the car to get such incredible value. Time will tell, but I'm gonna own one, just waiting for the Santa Fe and make a deal on both of them. I currently own a 93 Sonata GLS which has serviced me very well for 172,450 klms and still going strong. It, according to critics shouldn't look as good and even be on the road, but it still goes well.

The XG300 is the only model in Canada priced at $31,995 MSRP. The Santa FE GLS is $28,995 MSRP. Both can be bought for $1000 of MSRP. Both are more equipped than anything else on the market in and sometimes above that price range. Both are very good buys for the money.

Go test one soon, you won't be dissapointed.
    The test drive I took wasn't 2 minutes, it was 25 minutes of an incredible sensation enlightenment!

How's that for descriptive?
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Saw it for the first time at the South Florida international Auto Show in Miami Beach last saturday night. My first impressions on this car were very positive. The car seems to be a very well executed package and the price cuts into Honda and Toyota territory. The XG300 is a "near Luxury" car at a regular sedan price.

I have never been a fan of Korean products, but now there is a reason to visit a Hyundai dealership. Unfortunately this car as good as it seems for Hyundai and Korean cars in general, still has an uphill battle with public opinion who still believes Korean products are nothing more than crap. The car is a brand new model, unproven in North America...but if safety scores, reliability and value for the money prove otherwise, this car for sure will be the best import alternative to the dreadful and dull Honda/Toyota products.

Kudos for Hyundai for putting together a very tastfully done and beautiful automobile for a very reasonable price tag.

By the way, does anyone know if the XG300 is based in any way or form on the current Mitsubishi Diamante??? What's the story behind this model?

Also saw the Ultra Luxury Hyundai "EQQUS" sedan altough it had stickers on the windows saying that this car is "Not in production". Looked nice but reminded me of a late 1980's Nissan Gloria.
    What business is it of yours to criticize what a person would like to buy? I hardly think you know anyone here well enough to surmise what they do or don't like! I suppose you would put me in the same category as Volfy. I may have purchased my vehicles based on financial standing, which is something that can change quickly for someone. Is this criticism being brought over here from T-H-C? If so then it is definitly not welcome here.
    A guy can't ask a question or make an observation? Are you may be bringing over the t-h-c issue (i.e., octane myth)?

I just found it disconcerting that in the first 15 or so posts Volfy posted 3 times. He's told the world he is really nuts about VWs, doesn't care much for the performance of cars, likes motorcycles, and has recently bought two rather utilitarian cars (base Sonata and Nissan Frontier). Is he interested in the XG300? I hope so. Think he should give one serious consideration.

Then noted he appeared to be getting the weight wrong. He said 3,400 lbs but brochure from Hyundai says "Curb Weight 3604" lbs. Got me wondering if he had stopped by a dealer to get a brochure, take a look at one in a lot, test drive one, read reviews, etc.

I've been following the XG300 saga for a long time. Have asked my local dealer to call me when they get one in. Got one of the brochures soon after the dealer got one; made a special trip to get it.

Right now, with a brand new major vehicle, I want to learn about the real XG300 using real data. Hopefully from others similarly interested who get the facts, take test drives, etc. The time for "what will it be" is over now that it is out. Now we finally get to see "what it is"! That will soon lead to "What should it be", but that is likely more a future issue. :)
    Well said for those of you that are praising Hyundai for introducing such a wonderful machine at an extremely affordable price....and shame on those who would only critisize this accomplishment without actually driving one.

My 25 minute test drive reassured my feelings about Hyundai and their commitment to bringing affordable cars to this tough market. This car stands unparalled to anything in it's price range.

If that isn't appreciative enough for a car company to do for its consumers in such brand image world, then to bad for the people who still wear the blinders, and go with the rest of the sheep. Hey, Ford has really made a commitment to their consumers lately...haven't they? Don't see any saying their cars are crap.

My experiance since 1993 with my Sonata GLS removed the blinders I had on, but my openess and willingness to watch and grow with Hyundai has led to some very nice surprises as to the capabilities of this huge conglomerate.

Each year, your going to see Hyundai introduce something new, that, in it's price range is probably going to be the best value available.

If your still wearing blinders, take them off for 1/2 hour and take out either an XG, Sonata, or Elantra or Santa Fe.

If you think the Santa Fe is breathless, have you driven a Honda CRV, Rav 4 or Jeep Cherokee?

The Honda & RAV are very lame made for moms, the cherokee is fairly powerful, but ride sucks. The Santa Fe, was just right as far as power and ride go. Features is well above others, and price is well below others.

HUMMM is that such a dumb move. Giving the consumer more of what they want, and less of what they don't want. Could that be why their sales are slowly stating to increase?

Keep you posted!
    Hope you don't misunderstand where either Volfy or I are likely coming from. I know I'm very positive about the XG300. It will be a hit if it is (a) a great value (great price and great standard equipment), (b) turns out to be well built and very reliable, and (c) is backed up well by Hyundai and their dealers. I think (a) is going to be a home run. But (b) & (c) will determine if people end up buying the car in droves. I believe Volfy is also a proponent of the XG300.

I personally don't give a whit for SUVs. Santa Fe has an odd front end (styling is subjective) and doesn't seem like it will do anything overly outstanding. Not impressed with its engine given the weight. Forget if you can get a 5-speed with the 2.7L V-6. [Wish the 2.7L & 5-speed would come over into a "sport" Sonata GT.] Suzuki is supposedly coming out with a larger SUV, that will have 3 rows of seats. If it is priced right, roomy enough, with decent engine, I'll have to talk my wife into getting it. (She wants an SUV. Drools over Lincoln Navigators. I keep telling her they don't come with their own oil sheik. We have to pay the fuel bill.)
    Are you still holding a grudge against me, or was it that stiff Martini you had that was doing the talkin'? Unlike your deal in the Lincoln LS topic, these folks here probably don't know and have no preconceived opinion of you or me. I doubt they care too much about what transpired in another forum. I came in here to talk about the XG300, I suggest we all do the same.

About the tire size, 225/60VR16 has a larger overal diameter than the current OEM size 205/65VR15. I am not sure if it will fit the XG300 without rubbing fenders and suspension components. A better fit in the 16" wheel size would be 225/55VR16 which has a slightly higher load rating of about 100lbs more.

Still, if load rating is the only concern, then the stock tires are more than adequate. I doubt the factory engineer would choose a tire that doesn't fit the task.

OTOH, if better handling and overall performance is the goal, then 225/55VR16 coupled with recalibrated spring rates and dampers would be a good idea. I don't think the intended clientele cares for such a setup though.
    Volfy: Don't read more into the "Interest" comment than is there. My follow up to sonatafan is accurate. I'm interested in whether you are seriously interested in the XG300. Interested enough in it to want to learn more, look at one closely, test drive one, and maybe buy one?

Have you picked up a brochure? On your post about tires, you appeared to comment on its weight without taking into account what Hyundai was saying about curb weight. You should get one (and an '01 Sonata brochure). Looks impressive.

Trying to talk my wife into considering one. Now I need to know how reliable it is, how Hyundai will treat XG300 owners, what it really is like to own and live with one on a daily basis. The time for waiting is over.

The time for real analysis of an actual vehicle that can be driven and purchased is finally here.

(As for what has transpired elsewhere, I'm happy to discuss anything I've said anywhere at anytime about any subject. I wouldn't necessarily hold your behavior up as as a paradigm of virtuous behavior, at least not at all times and in all forums.). :)
    No I don't have an XG brochure yet. The last time I requested off of the HyundaiUSA site, they only had '01 Santa Fe preview brochures, so I got that one and the '00 whole line up. I'll grab one at the dealership as soon as one here locally has an XG for me to do the touchy feely.

I got the XG weight info from Hyundai's Korean website, I believe. I had to convert it from kilogram if I remember right. I pulled the Avalon number from the Edmunds review though.

I really was hoping that Hyundai would aim XG at the near-luxury performance sedan segment. Yes, I was disappointed that Hyundai went chasing after the Toyota Avalon crowd. But I do understand Hyundai's marketing rationale. The older gentlemen who buy Buicks and Avalons are more likely to give a Hyundai some thought, because they are nowhere near as intensely image-conscious as the younger yuppies who buy Maxima and Passats.

As for me, like I said, I can fix the landyacht ride with aftermarketry, but no clutch pedal means no parking in my garage.
    So we do share one major common trait: we both hate to drive automatics. I wholeheartedly concur. I'd love to start a crusade to promote manual transmissions to youth and ensure that every child (except those disabled) learn to drive at Driver's Ed with a stick!!! You really should've bought a Sonata GLS V-6 w/5-speed.

If I do get an XG300, it will be for my wife. I'll drive it when I have her and kids to drive around.

I just wish the XG300 had some options to make it sportier. Like 16" tire/wheel upgrade, bigger brakes, touring suspension, spoiler, etc. That way it could attempt to primarily appeal to middle America (Avalon, LeSabre, Camry, Accord, Impala, Taurus/Sable crowd) and sell some that appear and are a bit sportier.
    In this corner.....you know the rest!

Hey guys, get your butts down to the XG nearst you, and quit your crab'in and test drive the damn thing.

If your so stuck on manual transmissions, you probably won't appreciate all that HMC has put into developing,designing and finally delivering to you on a silver platter.

I hardly think this thing is geared towards older more refined folks than yourselves (who seem to prefer stomping their left foot down and rocking back and forth), maybe a rocking chair would best suit you two. LOL.

Anyway guys, I'm still real'in about my test drive, and still waiting for the arrival of a Santa Fe to test drive.

Again remember, the Santa Fe shouldn't be compared to a Lincoln NAV or a Denali. Go test drive a CRV, Blazer, RAV4, Sportage or Vitara. Thats the market I believe HMC is going after with this entry. And it seems to be a pretty large market to tap into. Comparing an XG and a Santa Fe to something outside of their intended class isn't totally fair to HMC, this topic, or yourselves.

Lets be honest, Hyundai has done some impressive moves in the last 2 years, and it seems to be getting better, give them a break, and let enjoy and celebrate their success.

My personal opinion, is that cars that have four doors shouldn't have five speed stds. That, in my opinion de-classes the vehicle. Imagine seeing a Jaguar VDP with a stick shift.

My personal favourite would be a Tiburon Convertable with a V6 and a Five speed. The SUV, I could live quite comfortably with an automatic that gave me manual shifting, when I decide to take it down a dirt road or over some potholed filled terrain. As long as I can hold it in the gears, and heel & toe the gas and brake.

Anyway you guys keep duking it out. Hey is there anyone else out there interested in driving a sofisticated sedan like the XG, and appreciating all it has to offer instead of what others feel as its shortcomings. Did you test drive it ...lets hear about it.
    I have nothing against automatic transmissions. They just aren't for me. Think both Volfy and I are younger than 40. I like to use both feet and both hands when I drive. I believe you should drive the car rather than having the car drive you. If anything manual transmissions provide people with more choices, and improve acceleration and fuel economy. So I wouldn't see any legitimate reason for anyone not to want Hyundai to give buyers a choice. If you want an auto, fine; if I want a manual, that should also be fine.

And I believe that having a manual provides an opening for a market strategy expansion as well as some great great product differentiation. Have you ever noticed how BMW has improved its standing in the buying public's mind as a premium luxury performance manufacturer by building lots of manual transmissions? I've never heard anyone say BMW has diluted the 540i by giving it a 6-speed manual. If anything, people complain that Jaguar has lost panache by dropping its manuals in US. Notice how they sell manuals in Europe?
  • floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    giowa & volfy:

The prices for the XG300 are on line now. The base car is just a snick below $24000 including shipping. I think this will be just a tad too high for the car. Considering the fact that the jury is still out on Hyuandi long term reliability (it may be fine) I think they are gonna have a tough sell unless they throw in a "cash incentive" at least at first. For a XG300L you are getting into Acura territory or with the way they are wheelin & dealin even a Lincoln LS.

Not yet seen the car in the flesh I cannot judge the quality , fit & finish. Gotta believe it will be top notch at least on a par with the Sonata. That being said I think if you can live with a 4 cylinder that a Leganza CDX is a much better deal, IMHO. What do you think at this point ?

Floridian
  • bluewindsbluewinds Member Posts: 100
    In korea....
    Nobody compare leganza to XG

Grade.....
    Nubira = Elantra
    Leganza = X (LIKE A NISSAN ALTIMA)
    Magnus=Sonata
    X = Granduer XG

Leganza is a nice car, but XG is two times more expensive than Leganza in Korea.
  • floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    bluewinds: this ain't Korea !!

Floridian
    Thanks. Looked over some pricing data. Think they are about $1,000 over priced. I was hoping they'd come in a bit low first year to build some buzz and get people looking. Will be interesting to see how much discounting and finance subsidizing takes place. The loaded L showing MSRP of $24,999. That is too close to loaded Maxima or Accord.

Hyundai now better pray and work hard to ensure reliability is top notch and dealer treatment of buyers and service experience are great. Too bad none of the car mags is testing one yet. Latest C&D arrived in mail today and R&T yesterday. Neither tests XG300. Hyundai better wake up and get one in their hands so we see the road tests. Gotta start the buzz!!!
    The way I read the pricing for the '01 XG300, it invoices for US$21,453 with climate control, $21,006 with manual A/C. With the way Hyundai has been providing incentives for their new cars, I hve no doubt that you can pick up an XG for near invoice or even below invoice. A little over 20 grand for a near-luxury 3.0L V6 sedan is a heck of a deal IMHO. Anything like it from the Japanese would be in the high 20's, pushing 30 grand when fully decked out.

If I were in the market for an Avalon-class car, I would definitely give the XG a serious look.

About the transmission, like I said, I understand Hyundai's marketing strategy and think it's an appropriate one. My personal preference does not affect my opinion of the marketability of this new Hyundai.
    US$21,000 is about the MSRP of a top of the line '01 Sonata GLS with ABS. Certainly would be nice but, given Hyundai's current Sonata pricing scheme, unlikely.
    Hyundai needs to adjust their MSRPs in order to reduce the appearance of aggressive discounting. Has anyone on this site ever paid above or at MSRP for a Sonata? Or even close to MSRP? Don't remember seeing it.

Hyundai doesn't have to lower invoices. Just narrow the gap between current invoice and new MSRP. Reduces discounting and makes pricing figures appear to be more reflective of market forces.

What do you think buyers want to see from Hyundai? A $25,000 MSRP that ends up saying "discounted $4,000 of list"? Or a $23,000 MSRP with only a $2,000 discount? The former makes the dealer appear desperate and raises concerns of buyers about the real value of the car.

Hyundai should reduce MSRPs downward a bit to better reflect what buyers are willing to pay. Infiniti did this exact thing in '96. They knew it killed resale value calculation to see an MSRP or $30,000 but average real selling prices of around $26,000. Because that drove down the average wholesale and retail trade in figures. Soon looked like they were depreciating like Pintos.

Thus the current MSRP of a Sonata GLS V-6 automatic w/Pkg 13 (nearest car to XG300) would fall from $21,000 to a bit below $20,000. Then XG300 MSRP stays a bit above $21,000.
  • bluewindsbluewinds Member Posts: 100
    My father's 98 Grandeur XG Q30(XG 300) hasn't had any problem yet except one.

It has run 55,000Km(35,000 miles) up to now.

The only problem was that Navigation system was inaccurate, but it was replaced under warranty.

I like its five speed automatic transmission and memory power seat.

I went to U.S 10 months ago and spent several months in my relative's house. One of my cousin ,who lives in Boca Raton FL, has an ACURA 3.O CL.(I think it is 98 model,but I don't remember exactly.) I drove it on I-95 to go to Key west. It was a great car. I like its design and fit-finish quality. In my opinion, except suspension performance, XG's overall performance and quality approachs to it. The other cousin, who live in Dulluth near Atlanta GA, just bought a new 2000 TOYOTA AVALON, also I drove it. I think XG's cabin is pretty smaller than AVALON.

I think Hyundai has fixed all XG's bug since it launhed to market two years ago.

Also, I think contemporary Hyundai car doesn't have many problems if owner keeps maintanence interval. For example, my mother and my brother drove 91 sonata-they shared one car- until 98 it doesn't have major problem. it had run 190,000km before they traded it to Daewoo Leganza.

Hyundai's CEO Mr. Chung said that price of all of Hyundai's will rise slightly from 2001.
    Drove up to my local Hyundai dealer to take a look at the 2 XG300s the paper said they had in stock. Sean, the outstanding salesperson who sold me my Sonata, told me the dealer's owner was driving the white one but he let me look at the black one. Had a sharp black leather interior. Leather is a bit more supple and just looks more luxurious than the grey leather in my GLS. Had nice leg & head room all around (I'm 6'2"). Roomy trunk. Sharp looking instrument panel. Some nice detail touches throughout the cabin. Made me feel like I was in a MB C-class.

This base model had a total MSRP of $24,324. Oddly, the sunroof costs $250 in this vehicle because there was a big credit for fact it did NOT have the standard automatic climate control. Wonder if Hyundai having supply problems? Or decided to make standard after they started building them in quantity? Also had a sunroof deflector and floor mats as options. (Why those wouldn't be standard is beyond me.)

Great news: As I poured over the window sticker I noticed that in small print it said that the car comes with a rental vehicle for all covered repairs!!! That is something Hyundai needed to do to attract a more upscale buyer. Now my wife might actually consider it; she won't if no guaranteed loaner/rental program.
    Nice detective work there, giowa. I agree that buyers above the near-luxury cutoff price point will expect nothing less. I wonder if it means a loaner of equal or greater value than the repaired vehicle? I'm sure the XG300 driver is not going to be thrilled about being seen driving a rent-a-wreck.
    And they would be thrilled being seen in a Hyundai?

(Sorry, couldn't resist ;-)
    Before you dismiss the XG300 out of hand, even if in good humor, I'd highly encourage you to take a real close look at one. I haven't driven one yet; salesman offered, but I had to get daughter to her bowling league. I did spend about 20 minutes sitting in front and back, checking out trunk & engine compartment, rolling windows down (to see how far in back, and was almost 3/4 way down), operating seats, sunroof, etc. She seemed well built. Felt solid. Looked great. If you took off the Hyundai insignia, it could pass for an Acura 3.5RL. Only thing I didn't like were the frameless windows. I'm not a fan. Tend to let in too much wind noise.

Volfy: When I spied the loaner language on the window sticker, I pointed it out to salesperson. He looked at it closely, called over two more salespeople, and said, "The XG300 comes with loaner. That'll make it a lot easier to sell." I couldn't have agreed more. Now I'm trying to find this in the brochure. Odd that the window sticker clearly says it, but not the brochure. I just poured over the brochure again, including all the fine print. Nada on loaner.
    And they used to say the Japanese couldn't build luxury cars either.

Dismiss the Koreans too if you must, but the automotive history is filled with manufacturers, which were 2nd round cutouts only a decade ago, beating the reigning champs to the podium.

Hyundai is climbing the automotive totem pole. Fast.
    Realizing I might have misinterpreted something, stopped by the dealership today on way back from church. Poured over sticker and realized my mistake. The loaner program referenced is part of the Hyundai Protection Plan (HPP). That is also available on Sonata, etc. I think Hyundai is making a mistake. When I realized my mistake, my wife told me she won't consider buying one unless and until there is a no-cost loaner program. She wants to know she won't be stranded at the dealership waiting for repairs and we live about 20 miles from dealership so shuttling is a viable option.

Hyundai, if you are listening, raise the price of the XG300 slightly and "give" customers "free" loaners! They expect it when buying a luxury automobile.
    I was only joking guys. Lighten up.
    I'm sure Hyundai's quality is improving, but they still have a serious image problem. People will look at them like second rate foreign econoboxes until they prove they can compete with the likes of Ford, Nissan, and *gasp* Honda & Toyota.
    Some people, who can't seem to rub the original Beetle out of their mind, also don't take VW's move upscale seriously. Fact is, VW is already selling 30k+ Passats right now and will be introducing a $40,000 flagship W8 Passat next year, and they can't seem to supply them fast enough to meet the demand. Hyundai is breaking similar sales records.

Plenty of folks consider cars as they are, not how the car maker used to be. These are typical not the ones to follow the herd and play it safe with established brands. They are also the ones that have enough confidence in their own judgement to make their own choices, instead of waiting for JD Powers to make up their minds for them. :-)
  • jkobtyjkobty Member Posts: 99
    This is one well built car. I did not get to drive it, but just inspected it from inside and out. The fit and finish on this car is amazingly accurate. It really impressed me. I was parked next to an Infiniti I30 today and I looked at it inside and out and was not as impressed as I was
    with this Hyundai. I read a test drive about it in an article from Australia. I think they were
    biased, because it is way way better than they say it is. The only concern is that they mentioned that it is like a bouncing castle on wheels and that bumps in the road cause a ripple effect that takes a while of straight road to
    subside. I am not sure if this is still the case with the North American version. I really want to try out this car, but I cannot get myself to ask the dealer for a test drive since they do not have many in stock and I am not really a serious buyer. I thought this car is HUGE. It is more than big enough. I am still young and prefer smaller cars, but this sure is one nice LUXURY
    car. Anybody that says otherwise is hopeless.
    "A cat will only jump on a hot stove once, after that, it won't even jump on a cold one"
    (Don't know who said it first, but whoever you are, I'll give you the credit).
    I'd be willing to bet that those who don't "play it safe with established brands" get burned a bit more than someone who buys a car they have had a good experience with before. The most reliable indicator of how good a car is going to be is to look at how well the older ones have held up. Hyundai's record in the past has been slightly on the abysmal side. I'm sure they're working to correct that (otherwise they'd go out of business), but not sure enough to consider buying one if I were in the market. Venturing into unknown territory is fine with washers and vacuum cleaners, but a car costs a whole lot more money, and I don't want one that's going to burn me.
  • aimanaiman Member Posts: 61
    Well, that's why they offer the warranty to assure the buyers. Hence, more and more ppl are coming to Hyundai these days. Of course if the cars are still really crappy like those excels back then, they will lose money big time with the warranty commitment they offer.
    Just a quick note to re-affirm the ride in the XG.

Took one out for a 25 minute test drive two weeks ago, and was interested in previous posts in reguard to suspension quality and bouncy ride.

Let me tell you that there is no problem with this cars ride. If anything, it is rather on the tight side. My father and mother have a Mercury grand Marquis and a Ford Crown victoria. These cars are very floaty and rolley compared to XG. XG is tight in corners and not at all loose going over pretty rough rail tracks. At 30,40 and 50 miles per hour, taking the steering wheel and purposely rotating it left to right to left in succession, produces a very tight feel. The car body follows the steering very precisely. Perhaps better than most cars of this size. The suspension does a very good job of soaking up potholes, rough road, and quick steering manuvuers. After you do test drive one, it is actually scarey to think that if Hyundai didn't have this so called "image" problem, and still was able to produce a car of this quality for this low price, what the heck are the other car manufacturers reap'in for profits. German design, and involvement using Korean labour coupled with high technological manufacturing operations, can only produce one thing. The Sonata, XG and Santa Fe, are the culmination of such endeavours. And in the words of Martha Stewart...."that's a good thing".

Don't be scared about this offering from Hyundai either. You probably will get something else from another manufacturer that does perform better, is tighter, and will provide a better resale value after your done with it.

But if you invest your money this way, as in automobiles, then your a very poor investor, cause they all decline in price worst than any other investment. So my conclusion would be to have as little invested in it as possible, while still getting tremendous value for your money.

I switched over to Hyundai in 1993. And it has been an uphill climb as far as convincing others that there is tremendous value in their cars. But you know people are like sheep or cows, you can lead them to the trough, but you can't make em drink.

People will continue to look at Hyundai. Some will buy, but most won't. Hyundai does need to do some very creative advertising and promotional events to change peoples thinking.

One thing that I always ask people, is whether or not their supposedly superior car has certain features that mine already has. When they say things like those are only frivelous or does it still work, I point out that my Sonata with 174,000 klms should have died according to their people long ago is still running very fine, and has yet to start rusting, plus when was the last time you seen Hyundai advertise major recalls like Ford's tires, Chryslers rear hatch, GMs seats coming unbolted. Hey heres a good one, Fords world car the focus, seems a bit out of focus, cause their recalling all of them for bad brakes, and someother serious problem. Hmmmmm my Sonata wasn't ever recalled. Theres an old saying that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. This does apply to people outside the Hyundai circle. back soon
    Nice essay there, peachville.

There are definitely no shortage of people willing to pay more for perceived quality and value. A friend of ours buys US$300 Gucci leather belts and thinks they are worth every penny. I, OTOH, disagree but am not about to argue with her about it (not unless she sneers at me about my $25 department store brand belts I wear anyway :-)

I don't buy $300 belts, not because I don't have $300 to spend frivolously, but because I think my money would go a lot further than been dumped into paying for a brand name.

I vaguely remember a GM top executive once, when asked the real difference between a Chevy and a Cadillac, said something like: "a hood ornament and about $25". Studies have suggested that the history and appeal of the brandname VW is worth up to $4k to car buyers. Looking at how much VW is charging for their cars nowadays compared to comparable cars leaves no doubt that VW knows this and sets prices accordingly. Toyota and Honda do the exact same, as they rightly should.

The Japanese have been undercutting the Germans on luxury cars for a decade now. While Lexus and Infiniti are still relative bargains compared to Mercedes and BMW, they've been creaping up in price over the years as well. I see no reason why the Koreans couldn't come in and undercut even everybody.

I can't wait to test drive an XG myself. The local dealer here has only one, and it sits indoors on shiney showroom floor. So I'm gonna have to wait a little.