Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    road trip!!! :)

josh - i use the lexol products too.

-Chris
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    Just water and a soft cloth on the wood seems to work best for me too.
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    Do not forget the depreciation that exists on a 2002 now that 2003 is here. A $600 difference is meaningless considering the additional year of full service and the additional depreciation that must be considered on any car that is purchased this late in the model year. Go with 2003.

That said, there may not yet be any discount on a 2003. Here in Houston, most people have to pay MSRP to get the car now. It may be different in other places.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    thats scary about the brakes. Btw maybe ill send you my brochure collection soon..its starting to take over. lol

A word on the lexol my brother tried it on a leather chair in his home and it was removing the dye, the chair was burgandy and supposedly of high quality, i guess id keep the lexol to the cars..

DL
  • seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    My brochure collection has to be organized. I still have the bulk of my collection in Miami. My personal favorites are my Aston Martin and Lotus brochures. I have been collecting since '78. The biggest part of my collection are BMW, Porsche and GM brochures. I used to live near a BMW dealer in England and Porsche dealership in Syracuse, NY. My collection started because a photo of a M-B C111 prototype. As a child, we collected trading cards of sports cars and prototypes.
  • mg330cimg330ci Member Posts: 162
    YES CONFUSING!

Actually, I bet that in our notoruosly litigious country, If anybody damages its BMW engine due to a low oil level, he could sue BMW for BIG BUCKS, as their instructions for measuring the oil level do not match the actual car.

Quick poll

1.How may people in this board have actually read the instruction manual.
    2. How may people in this board have actually measured their oil level.
    and
    3.How may people in this board have actually noticed this discrepancy.
  • 1pierce1pierce Member Posts: 284
    mg330ci poll: Won't have my Bimmer until Thurs. As with all of my new cars, I will read the manual cover-to-cover, with excruciating attention to detail, the first week, and then won't look at it again until I need to know something.

A4 and Brakes: I test drove 4 different 2002 A4's, with various engine/drivetrain combos. The one thing they all had in common was brakes that were noticeably inferior to the BMW's I drove. That factor, along with the subjective "feel" and intangible rush of the Bimmer, was a major part of my decision to go with the 325i over the A4.

More Brakes: Neither my '99 Nissan Maxima, nor my mother's 2001 Nissan Altima, has what I would describe as a "touchy" brake feel compared to my Caravan or pick-up. I did not notice this sensation with the BMW (I may just be used to it?).

vkwheels: My personalized plate (now, you're going to be disappointed - it's not creative, it's pretentious) is "PIERCE 1". I've had it on various cars since 1990. I tried in vain to get "PIERCE 2" and "PIERCE 3" for my other car and truck, but they have both been taken in PA for over 15 years. Go figure? I had to settle for "2 Pierce" on my Van. Given the status of "P...2" and "P...3", I consider my personalized plate to be priceless. I once threatened to walk out during a lease signing, when the dealer said I might not be able to transfer my plate.

I may be e-mailing you on the exterior car care issue after I get the Bimmer. Electric Red will glow like the sun, and I'd kind of like to keep it that way.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I was looking for a teen defensive driving school for my daughter who is 16 and found this:
    www.raceschool.com. It is held at Willow Springs Raceway north of LA.

They also have some driving schools. The pro there has experience in BMW's (according to the web site). Maybe we should look into doing something like that with this school. Would it be better to try to coordinate something here or deal with the BMWCCA groups around here (Fresno and LA)? Anybody here be interested in doing that with their 3er?

-Paul
  • tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Yes. My service manager said to use the 2 notches as the markers to measure the oil level.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    1. I read the manual cover-to-cover but it took me over a year. I'd made it my bedtime reading so I may not remember much from it, though :o) Then again, that's the only way I could have read it all.
    2. I measure the oil but not nearly as often as I should.
    3. Because I didn't remember what the manual said, I did not notice the discrepancy and used the 2 notches as the markers.
  • marinbeemermarinbeemer Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have experience or a recommendation for the appropriate tire "traction device" (i.e., chains, cables or "Spider Spikes") for a 2002 325i sedan with 17-inch wheels? I understand that BMW does not make them and that there can be wheel well clearance problems with the larger sport package wheels. "Spider Spikes" look like a great idea, but at $300, pretty costly (although cheaper than buying two BMW wheels and fitting them with snow tires!). I don't live in the Midwest where I'd be driving in snow for months--I simply want to drive from the San Francisco Bay Area to the Sierra Nevada a couple of times this winter!
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    I don't use anything to clean my dash and other vinyl areas. (I don't have kids to get these areas dirty.) They DO get dusty, though, and for removing dust I've found Swiffer Sweeps (electrostatically charged dusting cloths) to work really well.
  • bimmer3ibimmer3i Member Posts: 48
    The 2003 330i I ordered has an scheduled production on Sept 20, 2002. Does anybody knows (in your experience) the approximate number of weeks it will be delivered? I'll be returning the car I leased on Oct 27.
    Thanks.
    Ron
    I had added the SP in my order in addition to PP. I live in NJ, do I need to purchase winter tires or the perf tires are AS tires?
    I appreciate any comments on dealer install alarm or Lojack. Do you have any of these system installed in your 3 series or the manufactured installed anti theft system is good enough?
  • nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    I answer "yes" to all three questions.

I had the dealer's service manager show me the full mark on the 2.5L engine. He showed me that "full" is at the upper end of the short (about 1/4" long) plastic section between the two teardrop-shaped plastic sections. That's where the level has stayed since my wife took delivery of the car 4K miles ago.
  • mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    Your tires are most likely summer tires and would be quite dangerous in more than a dusting of snow.

Go to Tirerack.com (I can see the link just to the left of your message). You should be able to get a set of wheels and tires for around $600.

-murray
  • twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    I had the throttle pedal repair done today and the results so far are great. The pedal has never felt this smooth.
    It feels like butta'!!
    If anyone is suffering from the "sticky pedal" syndrome, I highly recommend you contact your dealer for the fix. My receipt shows 2 parts as follows (this is for a step equipped car not sure if it is the same for a stick)
    35-40-6-762-480 Pedal Module
    35-40-6-756-720 Adaptor Plate

BTW: Does anyone know why they switched the shift pattern on the step tranny from '01 to '02?
    On my '01 325 you push forward (up) to upshift and backward (down) to downshift. For some reason they reversed it on the '02's. I had a 325ia loaner today and darn near killed myself.
    It is so counterintuitive to push up to downshift and down to upshift.
    Any ideas as to why?
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    to me it seems intuitive to pull back to shift up-- at least, it made sense to me when I was installing reverse shift pattern, full manual valvebodies in musclecars I've owned. under hard acceleration pulling back makes a lot of sense.

but yes, a normal automatic goes forward to shift up so I can see how the rest of the Normal World would be confused by what you describe.

-Colin
  • daswolfdaswolf Member Posts: 43
    to match that of the SMG option on the M3. This way the procedure for shifting is the same across all E46 non-manual transmissions.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    The Lojack as you might know is a theft recovery system. You should save on insurance and its monitored by the Police. Shop around for pricing , it varies.

Now most might say a Bimmer is unlikely to get stolen, would have to be towed ect... i did see a 2002 Infiniti that somone coded a key for somehow my guess is worked for a dealer. mayb more likely a carjacking situation, basically it gives a good chance for the thief to get caught and also most cars are stripped at later time and might save your car.

If i ever bought another Honda or GM product id get one for sure. The alarm adds motion detection and a siren is all i think ? anyone ?

good luck
    DL
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I believe that someone on one of the Roadfly boards discussed swapping switches and/or harnesses in order to restore the "old" Step shift pattern. I think it may have been the E39 board, but the E46 probably uses a similar setup.
    I am getting ready to take my car in in a couple of months for my 15000 service (picked up the car in March!). How do you know of the pedal is the sticky type? My 325xi has a notchy feeling, almost like little stops when I am lightly changing speeds/correcting or if I move my foot very slowly. It doesn't seem to stick on one location, but the depression of the pedal isn't smooth.

-Paul
  • hiddendragonhiddendragon Member Posts: 22
    A dealer told me they will loan me a car each time I do the services. Is this a standard programm national wild? Since 2003 model provide four years maintainance program, does that mean within the first four years I can get this free loaner program?

I am in negotiation with some dealer for a 2003 325i. They told me there is a Group Dealer Advertising fee for $200 on each car. I never heard about that and I told the dealer that the advertising fee should have nothing to do with my special order. Anyone has such experience?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Loaner programs vary by dealer. It probably means that you will get a loaner car every time you bring your car there for service, not just scheduled maintenance.

The $200 MACO advertising fee is kosher and many here on the board living in larger metropolitan areas have paid it. It is actually listed on the dealer invoice.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kp40mkp40m Member Posts: 19
    I was originally planning to buy a 325xi, PP, CWP, Xenon’s, (white, 5 speed, black leatherette).

I'm trying to control my costs. I want the all wheel drive and CWP because I live in the NE. We don't get a ton of snow, but this will be my only car and I drive 45 miles each way to work.

I’m thinking about not getting the PP. I plan to keep the car for at least 100,000 miles. Will I regret not getting the power seats and the sunroof? I am not concerned about the loss of most of the other PP items, e.g., rain sensing wipers, auto mirror, wood trim, auto headlights, computer, etc.

I have never had a car with a sunroof or power seats, so I don’t think I’ll miss these. I’m not as concerned about the lower resale value as I plan to keep this car for 5 to 6 years.
    what you're asking for can be done. You'll have to special order the car with no PP and especially no sunroof. The dealer will probably ask you for a sizeable deposit as he'd have a very hard time selling your car if you back out of the deal.

If you're really trying to keep your costs in line, might I suggest getting a 325i (sans the X)? You'll save yourself the $1750 they charge for AWD and get yourself a set of winter tires & wheels that will get you anywhere you want to go any day of the week. Just a suggestion.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

... holding the unlock button is supposed to automatically open all windows and the sunroof. It does not work in my '01 325i. Was this something that came with the premium package? The car manual does not limit it to particular models and options, so I am thinking it should work on my car too... I have the automatic door lock (locks all doors at speed > 10 mph) turned on, could this be realted?
    while I have no experience with BMWs, I know that VWs, Audis, & MBs need to have the key (in the door) turned all the way towards the lock or unlock position in order to open or close all the windows & the sunroof. This feature on the aforementioned cars DOES NOT work from the remotes.

• rpoperpope Member Posts: 4
    Are you talking about while driving, lowering all the windows? I know that I'm able to open all of my windows using the unlock button on my key, so that on a hot day it's a little cooler by the time i make it to my car. BTW it's a 325i without premium package.
  • rshaw11rshaw11 Member Posts: 52
    I have the '02 325i with auto door lock turned on and I can open all windows and sunroof by holding the unlock button on the remote, or by holding unlock position with the key in the door. You might try it with the key.
    Like I said, I don't have experience with BMWs.

It works with the key but not with the remote. I will ask the dealer to fix it. Thanks much!!!

rpope - it is to "...open all of my windows using the unlock button on my key, so that on a hot day it's a little cooler by the time i make it to my car. "
  • tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    This is how it works for me:

Press unlock once to open driver door

Press unlock 2nd time to unlock other doors. To lower the windows and sunroof, make sure that you hold the button down when you depress it the 2nd time. Any slippage and it wont work. The button will have to be held down for atleast 5 seconds for it to work. REMEMBER: Hold the button down the 2nd time it is depressed.

Hope this helps
    I first noticed that I have the sticky gas pedal last week when we got temp in the 90's 8 days running. I can only feel it when I feather it but it drove me nuts once I discovered it. I scheduled with the dealer to fix it when I bring the car in for my second oil change in a few weeks. They needed a couple of weeks lead time because the parts are back-ordered.

kp40m - drop the X, get snows. AWD is for wimps (just kidding, erickpl). Not, not really kidding... OK, I'm kidding :o) The snows are cheaper and better than AWD - that will allow you to control costs and the car will likely be more reliable long-term without an AWD.

upshifting/downshifting - I also find it a lot more intuitive to shift back when upshifting because at that point you are glued to the seat and it's tough to move your body forward...
    Thanks, I'll try that.
  • abcnycabcnyc Member Posts: 101
    I confirmed with the service department that the 2 notches on the dipstick indicate the oil levels and not the "bulb". I'm glad I didn't try to add oil until it reached the "bulb". You would think they would put some indicators on the dipstick (e.g. "L" & "F").
    Uhhh... :)

dem's fightin' woids! hehehe

If you have your heart on the xi, go with it. I have mine w/o the PP. I don't miss the sunroof (work in the Mojave desert) and live in the mountains (intense sun). The wood trim I got thrown in, as did I the center armrest (std for 2003). I do miss the power seats as I'm 5'11" and my wife is 5'1". But it is workable. How are you for the SP? That is another area, though I wouldn't get a BMW without it... a subjective choice.

You are saving costs by not getting a metallic paint and the manual, so that is a plus. Have you considered a 2002 or a 2003? You might save a bit there, but who knows. If you are concerned about being able to finance, don't be afraid to shop around for a deal that works for you. There are several places on the web to get car financing (some here have used them and gotten good rates/payments). You might also consider ED, which again, many on here have done. You can save quite a bit, which would cover the cost of the trip. You can save there by doing a short one (picking up, driving a bit, then returning). Others on here know MUCH more than me about that, though I plan to do it for the next BMW I buy (unless it's a Z4 or one of the new 6 Series coming out in 2004).

Regardless of what you choose, good luck with getting it and enjoy it!

You can see my xi at http://community.webshots.com/user/skimblz_ if you want.

-Paul

2002 325xi

SP, CWP, 1/2 PP

xenons

Oxford Green/Natural Brown leather

tint, XM radio, universal transceiver

brave you mentioned that first noticed that you have the sticky gas pedal last week when you got temp in the 90's 8 days running. You said that you can only feel it when you feather it.
    What exactly do you mean when you feather it? Does it feel 'notchy' almost like there are predefined stops along the travel of the pedal even if moving the pedal just a tiny bit?

-Paul
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    I've been thinking about combining a trip to visit a friend on the East Coast with the 1-day Spartanburg experience. But I'm very interested in getting details on doing something like this locally too. If you pick a different forum for organizing this, Eric, would you please keep me in the loop? Thanks!

I've had my car for 2 mos & while I'm not sure if I'd describe the pedal as notchy or sticky, sometimes it is difficult to gauge just how much gas to give it to get moving without jumping forward. Never had this feel in my previous cars, nor in auto transmission rentals over the years.

Hey maybe that driving school is more than a good idea it is downright mandatory!
  • twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    The sticky pedal ALWAYS shows up in hotter weather and is exactly what you guys are describing.
    Be sure when you talk to your service advisor that they understand there is a unique ordering process to get these parts and they must have the VIN when ordering. Mine did not show up the first time I had it scheduled to install because they did not order it properly.

Brave,
    Try holding the remote button down after the 2nd time you depress it. This should open the windows and sunroof.
    Thanks for the clarification. I thought I had that issue. Looks like I'll be having them fix the pedal, the annoying seat belt tensioners, plus the 15,000 mile service at the same time. I'm still a couple of months away.

Is there a TSB or some type of document number I can point them to for the pedal and seat belt tensioners? Shipo?

vk, I'll definitely keep you posted if I end up doing something like that. I'm not sure if the driving school lets you use your own cars, but I hope so. :) I'd love to have my 3'er on the Streets of Willow Springs! Got any pics of your new baby? :)

-Paul
  • stokdgsstokdgs Member Posts: 65
    Hello - Im wanting to find out the factory Insp schedule for a 1994 325i, is there something on the site that can give this to me? Thanks DanF
  • brislance1brislance1 Member Posts: 87
    I have a 00 323I, Alpine White with sand leather. It has only 12,500 miles and is in mint condition. I am a perfectionist about my cars and after treating the leather seats with lexol today, I was dismayed when I noticed that the drivers side seat back dye was wearing away on the far outer edge. My back and fanny do not touch this area while diving and it has to be caused
    by getting in and out of the car. Eight thousand of the miles are highway miles put on between Tucson and the midwest which leaves about 5,000 miles of any frequent getting in and out of the car..

I took to the dealer today and he told me BMW leather is known to have problems and that the factory rep would never ok replacement of the back leather because the wear was not bad enough. I took issue with him and he told me to come back and see the rep who would be there tomorrow.

Am I being unreasonable? Could I have wear like this with only 12,500 miles?

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me and also would like to know if anyone else has this problem. By the way, the car has the premium package and not the wider sport package seats. Hope someone can help before tomorrow.

Thanks.
    Hello - Im wanting to find out the factory Insp schedule for a 1994 325i, is there something on the site that can give this to me? Thanks DanF
  • brislance1brislance1 Member Posts: 87
    I have a 00 323I, Alpine White with sand leather. It has only 12,500 miles and is in mint condition. I am a perfectionist about my cars and after treating the leather seats with lexol today, I was dismayed when I noticed that the drivers side seat back dye was wearing away on the far outer edge. My back and fanny do not touch this area while driving and it has to be caused
    by getting in and out of the car. Eight thousand of the miles are highway miles put on between Tucson and the midwest which leaves about 5,000 miles of any frequent getting in and out of the car..

I took to the dealer today and he told me BMW leather is known to have problems and that the factory rep would never ok replacement of the back leather because the wear was not bad enough. I took issue with him and he told me to come back and see the rep who would be there tomorrow.

Am I being unreasonable? Could I have wear like this with only 12,500 miles?

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me and also would like to know if anyone else has this problem. By the way, the car has the premium package and not the wider sport package seats. Hope someone can help before tomorrow.

Thanks.
    you mean how often or you mean what do they do?

-Chris
    Do you have any kind of window tint that provides UV protection? Living in AZ, I would expect that you do, but I will never own a car without having tinted windows that provide a lot of UV protection.

I'm sure a lot of the wear is from ingress/egress, that is to be expected. But with such a new car, something else may be aiding in the premature wear.

-Paul
    do you wear jeans a lot? getting in and out of the car with denim will wear it away mucho faster than if you wear khakis all the time...

maybe a "tad" unreasonable... :) you aren't saying "how much" it's wearing...

as far as "bmw leather is known to have problems"... ummm... hogwash... it ain't what jag leather used to be, for example, but it sure beats the garbage that most of the japanese cars use...

-Chris
    How are you doing my old friend ! Hope all is well with you and yours !. Im looking at poss purchasing a 1994 325iC with 66,741 miles, not alot of information but a clean carfax. Just wanted to know the maint schedule so I can figure out what needs to be done, etc. Is ther something on the web? Seller is not all that helpful but pics look very good. Thanks for responding ! DanF