Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
edited July 2014 in Lexus
Welcome to the continuation of the Lexus ES 300 -
II
topic. Those of you joining us from that topic
are welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    VSC (Vehicle Skid Control) detects & corrects incipient skid situations. In other words, it senses when you're steering in 1 direction but the car is heading in another direction. It then modulates the throttle & applies the brakes to restore control of the car.

We ordered it on our '99 ES300. We keep our cars for a long time (8-10 years or more), & we figured that if VSC saved our bacon just once, it would be worth the $440 (invoice price) that we paid for it. It kicked in once last winter while we were climbing an icy hill. Can't say that it prevented an accident, but I found it reassuring. Incidentally, you can shut it off. (We never do.)

Re AVS: we decided not to get it after hearing from a friend that if we did, we'd play with it for a month & then leave it in the "normal" setting.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Someone posted asking about the 2002 ES300, but I thought there would be no redesign until the 2003 model year.

Anyway. I'd like to see:
    More rear seat room.
    Power rear shade
    Navigation system
    More horsepower
    Much more sound deadening
    Kill the rimless front windows
    Power tilt wheel integrated with memory seats and mirrors
  • rob175rob175 Member Posts: 19
    My new ES300 is the first car that I've owned with HID headlights. Perhaps its just me, getting used to them, but they seem to be projecting at a low angle. At the 1000 mile check I asked them to take a look at them. They did, and said that they were "fine", but I have my doubts. They appear to only light up the pavement about 50 ft in front of the car. Is it just that they are so bright that makes them appear to "drop off" after 50 ft. At 40 miles an hour down a road that isn't too well lit, I feel that my forward vision should be illuminated better. The automatic leveling motors seem to be working fine, but I wondering if I should take it back to the dealer and have him check them again.....any advice/experience with this situation??
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    I think the redesigned ES300 will arrive next fall as a 2002 model. It coinside with the Camry which the ES300 is co-designed with. They share the basic body design, but shere less than 25% of the parts.

I think the 2002 ES300 will probably go the same way. Bigger, more powerful, but probably remain as a refined car rather than a sports car, especially since the Lexus IS300 is doing so well.
  • lievliev Member Posts: 93
    what is NAK ES300?
  • enigmaoneenigmaone Member Posts: 128
    The 2002 ES300 arrives in fall 2001. It will be a totally redesigned ES300 from the 2001 model.

As wenyue said, expect it to be bigger more powerful, more feature packed, and still remain more luxury than sport. And I wouldn't expect the price to go any higher than it is today.
    I would certainly hope the price wouldn't go any higher. If anything, it should drop or a lot more should be standard if the price remains or climbs any.
    By the time you load an ES300 up with the typical options it is not priced competitively.
    The options are overpriced and many optional items are standard on competing cars.
  • scongroscongro Member Posts: 80
    I'd expect the new ES to be a little cheaper than the current.

As far as you mentioning options. In the long history of Lexus (11 Years), no 6-Cylinder Lexus ever had a Moonroof or Leather Standard (Save the LX 450).

I'd expect to see the new ES start under the 30K mark, like the C-Class does for 2001. However, you will rarely see a stripped-down model of either. Owners of the Acura 3.2TL can see where Acura cut corners to get the car that cheap, and if they can't, they're lying.
    I don't think the 2002 ES300 will creep back under the magic $30K mark. I think the base MSRP will stick right around $31K, like the current one. Lexus doesn't really need to drop the price under $30K. The car sells where it is quite nicely, and when the car is redesigned for 2002, Lexus will easily sell every copy without a problem for the first 2 years.

The reason the C-class creeps in below $30K is because you get the smaller 2.6L V6 engine with it. The ES300 will continue with only one engine choice, that being a 3.0L V6 or larger.

Plus the ES300 will continue to be built in Japan meaning it will cost more than a 3.2TL, and the higher value of the yen right now and in the forseable future means that a price cut is very unlikely when the new one comes out. You can also expect to see some new standard features that are now optional, like the 6CD changer will be standard for 2002.
    I don't know about "Lexus doesn't really need to drop the price."
    That sounds pretty arrogant like Mercedes Benz in 1989 before Lexus came out.
    I think most people believe Lexus is somewhat nicer or more prestigous than an Acura or Infiniti, but when the price ends up several thousand more on a $30K range price class, people start questioning if it is really worth that much of a price difference.
    $37K for a loaded ES doesn't look attractive.
    Then you must go buy a Infiniti I30!

The ES300 is priced in between lower cars like the I30 and Acura 3.2TL and Mercedes-Benz C280/C320 and BMW 330i. Again, because of Lexus' higher prestige level than Acura & Infiniti, Lexus is going to charge more for the car. Please don't expect Lexus to price the ES300 at Acura 3.2TL or Infiniti I30 levels. Quite simple you shouldn't think that because its not going to happen. Unless out of nowhere Infiniti or Acura suddenly turns into a car with the level of prestige of a Lexus or even higher like a Benz. You think thats happening in the near future???

Here's another simple theory. The Acura 3.2TL & Infiniti I30 are priced lower than the ES300 because they know they couldn't sell a loaded 3.2TL or Infiniti I30 for $35K-$37K.
    I didn't say they would price it at exactly the same price as a TL or I30, but when the difference is so huge, people will pass it by qand they have.
    Have you seen were the ES300 has been ranking in the most recent comparison tests?
    This is exactly the same as the situation when Lexus came out in 1989. Mercedes did not drop their prices right away because they felt the Mercedes name was enough to command any price they wanted.
    Without any serious competion, that may have been right.
    In 1989 Mercedes probably said something similar to what you posted. "Lexus is selling their 1990 LS400 for $35K because they know they couldn't sell it for what we charge for our S class."
    The previous-generation TL and I30 were not that appealing and really were not selling that well. The current ones are much improved and are selling much better as the result (especially the TL).
    The new LS430 is much higher priced than a 1990 LS400, but compared to a Mercedes S-class, it is still aggressively priced.
    If they are pricing the ES300 significantly higher than a TL or I30, people are going to see where the money went. They will want everything the competing cars have plus better looks, significantly richer materials and better driving feel than the competion not just a Lexus name badge.
  • vernlewvernlew Member Posts: 87
    I believe enigmaone is correct (as usual) in his comments.

The ES is only slightly more than the TL and I30, and significantly less than a C class or 3 series. (since the Germans have gone to a practically no discount pricing structure) Sure, you can say that the TL and I30 are a little sportier...but, still not close to Bimmer territory. I really like the MB and BMW, but, I don't like spending a lot of time in the service department. I would say there is a certain amount of compromise in most cars at every price point...I like what Lexus has chosen to emphasize.

Also, you must remember we are at the end of model cycle for the current ES...so, I would expect some improvements when the new body style is introduced soon.

Vern
  • turbotcturbotc Member Posts: 163
    not to mention that the resale value on the es300 should be better than the i30 or TL.
    I'll save further comments until I actually see the new 2002 ES300.
    I don't think the current aging ES model is a good value for what you get, but when the new model comes out and it then becomes the most modern design compared to the competition, that could change.
    Even though I expect it to cost more as usual, if there is substance and additional refinement that you can see and feel it might be worth it.
    I certainly hope the styling does not get messed up with the new design.
  • robert_s_22robert_s_22 Member Posts: 25
    I currently own a 1998 Toyota Camry XLE V-6 and I am looking to buy an ES300 within the next year, probably a 1998-1999 certified pre owned. I am wondering if any of you think that that the new ES300 coming out will drop the prices of the current generation (1997-2001) ?? And I was just over at Camryman.org and a guy said the they were showing the 2002 Camry at the Las Vegas Auto Show. He said that it had a more rounded raked back look , kinda like the Dodge Intrepid. I don't know what to make of that, I personally like the current generation ES300. I would like to see them make HID's standard like the new TL. also to compete with the new TL a ML/Nav system would be nice, maybe a 5 speed automatic. I feel that the Lexus is a higher quality car( my mom owns a TL, they will be looking a an LS400) anyways I have noticed the TL is not as smooth, has fake wood, does not have full leather, the Acura/ Bose stereo is lacking. That, I belive,as well as the service/ warranty make up the Lexus difference. I really hope Lexus does not sacrifice quality to keep price low !! What do you all think ?
    Look for the NAV to hit the option list in 2002, as every entry level car now has it. I can see LEV on there, though like it is now, good luck finding one.

As far as HID's, now just realize that the only cars in the Lexus lineup that have HID's standard are the IS and the new LS/GS4. It looks like Lexus is trying to work them more in the lineup, with them standard now on 3 cars for 2001. However they're still an option on the GS3, ES, RX, and not available for 01 on the LX (the SC is gone for 01, but expect them to be std. on the new SC for 2002). So, that may go either way.

enigmaone,

You're probably right, the ES price will probably stay at the 31 mark it's at right now, but I'd like to see it a little lower, possibly where the C260 is (I know it's really called the 240). Mainly, because Lexus started out giving you as good or a better car than europe at a cheaper price, and they continued it with the LS 430 starting at 54K.

The ES may continue at 31, and if it does, they will sell all that they can make, but it would be nice to see it start under 30, and maybe show Acura TL owners the light.
    If they think they can sell all they can make at $31K, then they won't sell it for less, but until we actually see what the car looks like and what the new features are, we won't have any idea whether it will be a hot seller or not.
    The new styling might be boring or it might be worse than boring and actually be ugly.
    They might get too bold with price increases despite hot competition from Mercedes, Acura and Infiniti. Anything is possible.
    But do you think the prices of the 1997-2000 ES300 will drop as a result of the 2002 ES ? I am looking for the best time to buy and right now they are a little high !!
    2000 ES300 prices may drop a little when the 2002 comes out, but resale values of older cars rarely drop when new & subsequent generation cars are introduced.

s852,

THe reason the ES300 mainly ranks down low now on comparison tests is because of age. It is now in its 5th and last year of production and I wouldn't expect it to place #1 or #2. Second, the current ES300 platform dates back to 1992 which is another reason why it ranks mid-pack at highest. And third it is more expensive than the 3.2TL. But if you notice the 3.2TL is really the only car that is cheaper in its class by a wide margin than the ES300. The I30 is not that much cheaper. A similarly loaded I30 is about $2k less and as I said before some of its other main competitors in the real world(C-class, S70, 328i) cost more.

Personally, at its current price level its priced only a little high(by about $1K) and mainly the only option that is a rip-off on the ES300 is the CD-changer. Of course for 2002, The CD-changer will be standard and HIDs will probably be standard.

Also, I will say that Lexus has no reason to sink its price to the level of the Acura 3.2TL. Acura doesn't have the image of Lexus therefore they have to sell cars for less to get their name out and improve their image. Lexus on the other hand, has made their name already and can sell cars at a higher price level, so they will. As you can tell, they are also not charging Mercedes Level prices.
    Regardless of the MSRP, in the end the market will decide what the car will really sell for.
    If after seeing and driving it, if most buyers are willing to pay $33K for the new model loaded with the most common options (leather moonroof, heated seats, CD changer) and Lexus prices it at $35K at that equiptment level, then dealers will have to discount them to that price or else they will need to cut production to match the number of people willing to pay $35K.
    If MSRP is at right where people are willing to pay, then they will sell for MSRP. If the MSRP is lower, then dealers will be able to get a markup over sticker.
    I'm sure when they first come out, the combination of the initial novelty of the new model and the fact that the factory will not yet have ramped up to full production speed will result in poor deals for the first buyers.
  • rob175rob175 Member Posts: 19
    So....does anyone feel that their HID's are set too low?......I do. It appears that mine are aimed about 30-40 feet in front. And, on dark roads at 55 mph it feels as though I'm not getting enough forward visiblity without kicking on the brights.

Any thoughts??
  • rollomanrolloman Member Posts: 64
    Just back from test-driving an LS 430 at my Lexus dealer.

He said the 2002 ES will be in showrooms by September. Sales Manager has seen some pix and everything he hears is that the ES will go through a pretty extensive change (like LS). Bigger interior, Standard HID lights, Lexus link system, etc. Might be sales hype, but I tend to believe him.

Let us know if anyone finds any pix/info on the new ES on-line.

Thanks
    Of course the laws of supply and demand.

If you're looking or hoping for the 2002 ES300 to be priced like a 3.2TL, stop hoping now.
    the sticker price for ES300 with VP and heated seat is about 35K but it is shown that 1500 was substracted from it already. It is shown that the MSRP is around 4500 for these options on the sticke. However, when I added the VP and the heated seat together it is only about 2900. First, I thought Lexus adds each option individually to come up with 4400 but still when I tried to do that the number still not that big. Further, if we by the car with the VP, why do we have to pay for each option in the package individually? I tried to bring this up, but the salesman keeps saying that the discount has been included. I feel that Lexus is cheating their consumer. Any advice or any thoughts on this?

liev
  • mafitchmafitch Member Posts: 15
    Liev,
    I just wanted to share some of my experience to maybe give you a little perspective on feeling "cheated". My mother drives a 2000 RX 300, my father drives a 2001 LX 470 and I have a 2001 ES 300 on order.... Each of us has paid below sticker (allowing the dealer fair profit of course) and in all of our experience with Lexus we have never been more satisfied. Once you own an automobile of this caliber you will understand. Yes it is an investment, yes it is expensive but in my experience, it is not possible to purchase so much car for the same or less money. Lexus goes to great lengths to satisfy their customers and it would be very difficult for them to do that if they were cheating people. In fact I would say it is hard for any car company to cheat their customers due to the fact that there are so many options available in the market today. Perhaps it is your dealer or maybe the way it is being explained is not in a manner that you are understanding. Regardless, it is probably wise to get a quote from another dealer or an internet buying service....compare numbers...see what happens. My advice is BUY THE CAR, by the time you get out of the parking lot, that feeling of being cheated will be a distant memory. Best wishes.
  • sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    The dealer does not generate the MSRP window sitcker, so there is little chance of any deception there. It could very well be that the sales guy you were talking to was as confused as you were. Not many are rocket scientists. Take a pad of paper and jot down all of the numbers, then go to the new car part of Edmunds and compare numbers. You should find them essentially the same. You should not be "double charged". But where Edmunds lists the price of the Value Option Package after the discount, the window sticker shows a full retail price and then a separate discount, in the end, the same $$ out of pocket.

If you can put off the purchase of your 2001 ES300 until January or a little longer, you should be able to get some really deap discounts as the current body style is phased out for the 2002s. Any 2000 cars ES300 cars left now should also be heavily discounted. Go back over the last 3 months worth of posts in this forum to follow several buyers negotiations (including my own. Posters struck deals in the $31-$32K for either a VP+extras or Platinum edition 2000 cars. Many tips and information sources were shared.
  • cdm2cdm2 Member Posts: 7
    Hi:
    Does anyone know if the new 2002 coming next year is a totally brand new design from the ground up or is it just one of those major upgrade from the current model??? Any link that I can get to see
    a picture of it??? Thanks guys. BTW, I think Lexus
    cars have much better reliability than MB or BMWs.
    In September of 2001 (or thre about) Lexus will release a new ES, redesigned from the ground-up, in the same way the LS was for 2001.

Pictures and details are sketchy as of right now, but I have seen a camoflaged photo of what looks to be the new Camry. It has a little bit lower front end (I know, it's pretty low now).

And yes, Lexus reliability is MUCH better than the Germans (and the english for that matter).
    liev,

The $1500 subtracted on the sticker price is not really a discount. Its basically marketing. What Lexus does is give the customer a $1500 discount by buying the Value package which has the options bundled in it. Otherwise, if you bought the options separately, you would spend $1500 more at retail price for each option.

For example.

No value package:
    Leather trim package: $1885.00
    CD-changer: $1,080.00
    Moonroof: $1,000.00

This totals to: $3,965.00

Now with the Lexus Value package all 3 of the above option package are lumped into one package for $1,965.00.

Thereby this yields you a $2,000 savings, on the sticker price of the vehicle.

The one trying to cheat you on the deal is your dealer, not Lexus NA. Don't fall for what your dealer says, of the discount already being there. Look at the MSRP vs. Invoice for a ES300 the way you want it equipped, with the Value package and heated seats(I think you want them?) not with each individual option.
    Maybe that will be the next ES300. People cringed when they first saw the SC replacement, but they got over it and now Lexus can't build them fast enough.
    The weird headlights does seems to match the looks of the latest Lexuses and it looks more like an ES300 than the Previs drawings. I do think the Previs styling is much less offensive though.
    Hi mafitch, sddlw, enigmaone,

Thanks for the advice given from each of you. I just found out that I can use a referral service call MVCP. The price I'm given is is 1860 above invoice. This makes my life a lot easier. By the way, mafitch, how much is your ES300 which is on order? Do you mind to share this info with me?

Again, thanks all

liev
    I am looking for a ceritified pre-owned ES300, and I am wondering what a fair price for a 97-98 ES300 with about 25,000 to 40,000 miles. The list prices are from $24,900 to $27,900. Those prices seem quite high to me as I have seen listings in the paper for about $19,000 to $21,000 dollars. Has anyone else experienced buying a used ES300 from a Lexus dealer, I have heard that about $3,000 off the list would be a fair price ?? All help would be appreciated ..
  • smheyingsmheying Member Posts: 7
    I was just about set to purchase a Volvo S80 when I wandered next door to the Lexus dealer. After driving an 2000 ES 300 Platinum, I was so impressed that I think I might abandon the Volvo.

I have heard that Lexus is not very willing to bargain. Does anyone out there have any idea of how much Lexus might be willing to bargain? I'm looking at a dealer invoice of about $31K and MSRP of a little over $35K. I usually shoot for about 2-3% over invoice: is that unrealistic?
    Instead of having everyone answer this question again...please read through the previous posts...this question has been answered MANY times in the past...do a little research on your own please...I paid aproximately $31,750 + TTL for my 2K Platinum...you should be able to do at least that well now at the end of the model year...if not, go to another dealer...or try an online service, like autobytel.com...
    Vern
  • smheyingsmheying Member Posts: 7
    Well Vern, Thanks for the welcome.

I'll have you know that I had looked through previous posts! In fact I spent over 2 hours looking through various postings ranging from useful, to caustic barbs being exchanged. The most current topic that I found that dealt with pricing of the 2000 ES300 Platinum was back in April 00. I was hoping that someone who had RECENTLY purchased an ES300 would be willing share their experience with me.
    Has anyone had an experience buying a pre-owned ES300. I can look at any new car and see what the invoice is, however, a used car is much different. I would like to have a little more info before I go in there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you
    Steve,

Sorry, if the suggestion offended you, this was not the intent, the intent was not to repeat information already available in previous posts, in case you hadn't perused them yet.

As for time frame, since we are at the end of the model year...you should expect an even better deal than any of the previous posts. I would say asking to pay dealer invoice would be reasonable...and letting the dealer keep the holdback as his profit. So, at this point in time, I think 2-3% above invoice is not reasonable, but 1% above maybe.

Much has to do with supply/demand in your area, if there is only one Lexus dealer in your area...chances for a good deal are not promising. On the other hand, if you are willing to travel to an area where there are many Lexus dealers...chances for a good deal increase dramatically. (such as here in the Miami area)

I found using the free internet car services...like autobytel.com quite useful in getting an idea of how much local dealers are willing to discount...internet salesman seem to know people utilizing this service are interested in a substantial discount.

Anyways, hope this helps you in your decision and negotiations...and hopefully you'll buy the car everyone at this site admires...you will notice there are not many complaints about the ES...compare that with other car forums.

Good Luck,

Vern
    smheying,

You should be able to get, in most areas, a very good discount off of a 2001 ES300. I would expect at least a $2K to $3K discount and probably more being that the 2001 is the last production year for the 2nd generation ES300.
  • diamonddave2diamonddave2 Member Posts: 12
    I found that the dealer certified cars typically sold for approx $3k over the prices for non-certified cars. That was almost a year ago for my '96 ES300.
    My local dealer (lawrence lexus) wasn't willing to come down on price at all, but I can see their point - they do put a lot into the certified cars.
    I opted for non-certified, and 12,000 miles later, everything has been great. No problems at all.
    After seeing the Zaino posts in this and other forums I had to give it a try. This kind of stuff is a pretty harmless way to satisfy my obsessive-compulsive side. Gotta say, it really is the best stuff I've ever used. Expensive, time consuming, quite a work-out, .... but wow! I've got 3 coats of Z5 and 1 coat of Z2 on my wifes 16 year old car now and it looks like I put on a sheet of glass rather than polish. I can't wait to do my new ES300.
    I'm no expert, but IMHO any remaining 2000 ES300s should be bought at prices pretty close to invoice given the current holdbacks, incentives, given that the 2001s are here, and given that there is a totally redesigned car coming in 11 months (+/-). This should at least be the case in major cities where there is some competition for your business. We've seen posted deals at invoice + a couple hundred dollars even 6-8 weeks ago.

Also, given that several of us have purchased VP+ and Platinum cars for $31-$32K recently, a 1997 or 1998 car with 30K mi (+/-) for the mid 20s just doesn't make sense to me. That's 80% of current value for a new car. I mean, these cars do hold their value but a 97 is 4 model years old now. Most cars are looking at 40-60% residual value at this point and the very best of them generally do not exceeed 70%.

Or is there something I'm just missing here?
    With my 96 ES, I can't ever get any better than 21 mpg highway with AC on @ 70mph. What gives?

How do you calculate your MPG? Maybe my numbers are jumbled?

How about you Enigma, any suggestions on improving my gas mileage, oh wise one? How far can you go once warning light on gas gauge illuminates?

Rolloman
    Answer from the wise one,

Something is either wrong with your ES300 or you can't do math(not trying to insult you). My parents 1995 ES300 with 92K miles on the odo. gives over 25 mpg all the time on trips with the A/C on. Just came back from a trip from here in NJ to Pittsburgh and back in my parents LS400 and I even got about 27MPG with the A/C off but in mountaineous driving at a average speed of about 70mph.

When your light comes on you have about 2 1/2 gallons remaining.

Try this,

Next time you go on a trip, fill up your tank but only fill it up until the nozzle shuts off. Don't click it again to put that extra $0.50 in so that it hits a even dollar amount. Get going on your trip. Drive on the highway until your needle gets to the 1/2 or 1/4 mark. Refill the tank the same way as I stated above and calculate based on that.

Also, do you keep your tires fluffed up to proper or greater PSI? I keep my ES300 at about 29. I think 26 is too low and it seems 29-30PSI is keeping the tires going longer.
    I keep my tires at 30 PSI. How exactly do you calculate your mileage?

I always fill up then drive til light comes on and divide the total mileage by 18 (size of gas tank)...is this not correct?

I'll take your advice on the double fill-up method even though I don't exactly understand it.

Thanks from the Mathematically challenged.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I believe what enigma is trying to create for you is known as a mathematical constant. Since we do not have the kind of fuel monitors that Motor Trend has, we can only try and create a constant. By filling up until the gas shuts off, you will place X amount of fuel in the tank. By driving down to 3/4 or 1/2 on the fuel gauge, and then filling up again, but only to the auto shutoff, then it is assumed that dividing your miles by the number of gallons will give an accurate mpg. It would also help if you use the same pump at the same station, to eliminate the variable of different nozzle length or "shutoff sensitivity." In other words, the same nozzle would shut off at the same point each time. When you try and squeeze in more fuel after the auto shutoff, sometimes you can put in 1/2 gal, sometimes 3/4 gal, sometimes even a full gal, which will skew your mileage readings.

Dividing your miles by 18 (fuel tank capacity) would only work if you literally filled the tank with 18 gal and than ran it until it ran out of fuel, and then checked the fuel tank to make sure it was bone dry, rather than having one or two gal sloshing around below the point of the fuel pickup.

Does this help or make it worse?
    Wow! Very impressive post!

How do I know when the needle is EXACTLY at 3/4 or 1/2 tank?...or does it matter?

As you can see, I didn't pass "Gas" in school.

Thanks for your kind patience.
  • turbotcturbotc Member Posts: 163
    what I think marsha and enigma are saying is: fill up your car until it click off and don't add anymore in. Reset your trip counter to 0000. Then drive until half a tank or 1/4 tank or whatever. Then fill her up until it click off and don't add anymore in. Then take the number of miles you drove divided by how many gallons it took to refuel her then you will get the mpg reading. It may not be tottally accurate but it give you a good figure of what to expect.
  • aimanaiman Member Posts: 61
    I think it doesn't really matter whether u drive until 3/4 or 1/2 tank. As long as the trip is long (the longer the better) and try to keep the speed as constant as possible, you ought to get pretty good mileage approximation. Here's what I did in a step by step manner.

1. fill up gas until auto shutoff, and don't add additional gas after shutoff.

2. zero your trip odometer

3. drive on the highway for a long distance (say min. of 100 miles or until ur needle move at least 1/4 of the range--the more the better) with constant speed as much as possible (don't cruise too fast because that'll burn more gas than normal)

4. stop at a gas station (ideally the exact same one. at least find the same brand) and fill up until auto shut off.

5. gas mileage ~= (miles in the trip odometer)/(amount of gallon in the second fill up)

Happy experimenting!
    I can always count on this board to help me out with my questions and problems.

I think I've got it now. I'll let you know what kind of mileage I get.

You guys are awesome.
This discussion has been closed.