Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• davidzdavidz Member Posts: 35
    Where in the Midwest are you? All the dealers around here (Cleveland) have plenty of them in stock. You'd have quite a selection of colors around here.
  • hardheadshardheads Member Posts: 3
    Really(with Nav.)? You guys are so lucky...I am in St. Louis...I think the recent hail storm make dealers drop price too much and they sold everything 2004...so, do you think buying out state is an option?
    Yes, with Nav. Your local dealer should be able to get you one in any color you want by searching the inventory of other midwestern dealers. Dealers trade and sell stock to each other all the time. I suggest you ask them.

Buying out of state is an option, but it has some downsides like getting to and from the dealer to pickup the car, etc. Some out of town dealers will pick up and deliver or meet you half way.
  • randyr52randyr52 Member Posts: 19
    Is the XM radio connection only for those cars with navigation? I don't have navi, but I do have an AM button that I don't use for anything. Seems like they could use that button and make the hookup. I miss my XM(had it in the Accord I traded for the Lexus). It was light years better than having FM stations with commercials forever bombarding you with junk. Someone in an earlier post said ALL 2004 Lexus radios had the capability, but Lexus wasn't offering the hookup.
    Time for Lexus to step into the new electronic/Satellite age! Anyone have any info??
    $800 for the Lexus kit is outrageous. A friend of mine bought an XM receiver that works both in his car and his home for $110.
  • jerry7jerry7 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2004 ES330. As pat of the purchasing process, I was offered and "automotive surface protection package" which consists of a paint sealer to protect the paint, and a fabric protection package to protect the interior of the car. Do any of you recommend this"? It costs $515. Can these applications harm or discolor the surfaces to which they are applied? Any other comments on the advisability of purchasing this package? Thank you in advance. Jerry7
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    It is advantageous for the dealer to sell it to you. It probably will not hurt anything to have it applied, but don't expect it to provide more protection than what you could purchase in an auto parts store for $50 or less.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    The paint is sealed at the factory. I've had cars for 7-8 years and the paint was still fine. Same with the interior. DO NOT even consider these dealer packages.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    Jerry, DO NOT waste your money buying this package. The only one who benefits is the dealer!
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    It's something the dealer sells to pad their wallets. Chances are it's marked up about 75% over their cost.

I doubt anything they apply will harm your car but I also know it won't "protect" your car as they say it will. The exterior application is essentially a wax applied to your car!!
  • jerry7jerry7 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you one and all for your advice, which has been taken. Jerry7
  • yonderyonder Member Posts: 2
    Have an 2003 ES 300 and bought an extended warranty with the car. I was just reading a few articles in the toyota HL board, and read that Toyota's extended warranty is useless if you miss any of the scheduled appointments (I am guessing this is just a regular oil checkup). Has anyone had any experience with Lexus in this matter? I missed the first 1000 mile oil change (baby crying too much) and am wondering if the $1x00.00 dollars I spent on the extended warranty was useless...

Thanks
    Did you read your contract first of all? Second, if for example, a seat motor needs replacing, how would missing a scheduled service appointment void your ext. warranty? I doubt that is true, and if it is in the contract, I doubt it would hold up in a court of law.
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    Purchase your own bottle of quality polymer sealant (Klasse, Zaino, etc.) for the exterior paint, and a can of Scotchgard for the interior fabric...keep the $490 difference that would've gone into the dealer's pocket.
  • bdoylebdoyle Member Posts: 1
    To the best of my knowledge, the free 1K Lexus service involves nothing more than a check of the car to make sure everything is in order. When I brought my 2004 ES-330 in for this service I noticed that all the fluid levels had been topped off and the car meticulously cleaned, but the whole process only took about 1/2 hour--not enough time for both an oil change and wash on a busy day--likewise with the 2002 ES I owned before this one. I wouldn't postpone subsequent 5k visits to the shop, though.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    What kind of mpg are you getting with your ES300/ES330? Did you notice a difference in the 2002 vs. the 2004 in the mpg since they have a little different engine? Have you had any trouble with either car? Thanks
  • fatguycarfatguycar Member Posts: 38
    I used to have a 1997 ES300 - my wife has it now. It has over 150,000 miles on it and has developed a problem.

When starting it up the exhaust is noisy. However, with less than five minutes driving the noise dies down.

My local all-makes repair shop claims it is a hole in the exhaust manifold and wants to replace it. To me (always looking for a cheap way out) the fact that the noise ceases within a few minutes sounds like metal has expanded.

Has anyone any tips or any experience of this? The part they want to replace is the cast part that connects directly onto the engine.
  • neuroguyneuroguy Member Posts: 34
    It could be a crack in the exhaust manifold, or somewhere else along the system. Or, it could be a loose connection (cracked weld) between pipes, muffler, catalytic converter, etc. I'd ask the shop to show you the problem - eyeball it - before they fix it. Of course, the car would have to be cold then.
  • anteater203anteater203 Member Posts: 6
    Have a 2004 ES330, appx. 8500 miles. Recently, I have noticed creaking noises in two places - near the glove box and the driver's seat. These are not rattles. The creak near the glove box occurs with the glove box empty and mostly during turns. The driver's seat creak occurs when I sit down in the car. Anyone had similar problems? Have yet to take it to the dealer for these problems.
  • dgoodrowdgoodrow Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem, although the creaking sound began almost immediately after I purchased the car. Initially the creak seemed to be coming from the dash but was later determined to be coming from the seat and could be heard while accelerating, braking and while turning. The dealers first attempt at fixing the problem was to oil the tracks and underside of the seat, to no avail. Ultimately the entire seat was replaced, only to have the creak come back within a week.

During the service departments weekly teleconference with regional tech people in Atlanta, it was determined that the seat was creaking because of alignment pins that are used to locate the seat properly during assembly. The alignment pins can be easily removed, which took less than ten minutes, and the creaking problem was illuminated. If only the transmission problem could be fixed that easily.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Took my RX300 to dealer for service and got a 02 ES330 as a loaner car. About 15K miles on it. On the way home I found on highway, most noise is the road noise, then wind noise. I often read articles about how quiet Lexus is, and this ES330 noise is rated 9 out od 10, just 1 point below LS430/400 in some magazines. However I found it's quiet overall but not to the 9-point level. 2000 RX300 is rated like 6 point, maybe 2004 RX330 is 7 point. My 00 RX300 is almost as quiet as this 04 ES330. This time I drove the round trip on the same highway between home and the dealer.

I believe some professional tester uses sound meter to measure the dB. Maybe rating is from that dB number, which should be proportional to human's hearing...
    "...got a 04 ES330 as a..."
    Can someone tell me what that knob is, the one under the dash/steering wheel, near the right knee? It's got a white mark on it.
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    I have an 03 with ML. At times when I listen to talk shows I can hear some noise off talker's words like they are speaking too closely to the mic or something. The louder the more obvious. But when listening to music (radio or CD) I don't get any of that no matter how loud it is. It seems to be from one of the teaser speakers on the door. Anyone heard that too.

BTW, jiamin, that knob adjusts how loud the beep sounds when key locks/unlocks the car. RX does not have that? I also drove RX330 as a loaner b4 and I think RX is much more noisy than ES. Just the engine noise along does it. RX300 was quieter than RX330 but still not as quiet as ES300. ES330 has a bigger engine but I doubt it's much more noisy than ES300.
    Thanks igiban for the knob info. 00 RX300 does not have that. I think the beep sound level is part of the CBEST, as I was told it was already set at highest level.

I think the more accurate way for me to describe 04 ES330 vs 00 RX300 is: at low speed when I step on accelerator, RX300 is noticeably louder, maybe from its exhaust system; when coasting, RX is nearly the same as ES. When at highway high speed that wind noise increases, RX and ES are about the same, I can hardly hear engine sound from either. One time I was on highway I-5 from LA back to Bay Area. I passed many cars at just over 100 MPH (will never do that) for like 20 seconds. The overall noise seemd to have stopped increasing at some MPH. A very well designed car considering its size vs ES.

Again no doubt ES is quieter overall, but not like 9 point vs 6 point scale. My 02 QX4 is definitely noisier at any speed, accelerating or coasting.

Test drove RX330 months ago and only remember its noise level is not as low as some magazines said. Maybe due to its larger wheel/less rubber.
  • rtorrecartorreca Member Posts: 74
    My 02 ES300 is approaching 27K miles, and according to the service guy, my tires have 20% tread left. Should I stick with the OEM tires, which are Michelin MXV4s, or are there better ones (within the same price point) than these?I live in NJ and looking for all-season tires. Do you have any recommendations?

thanks.
    It depends on what you are looking for. Personally, I had the MXV4's on my Accord in the same size as you probably have 205/60VR-16 and I didn't like them at all, they are noisy, kinda stiff, and pricey for what you get. And they are not all that good in snow or rain.

My uncle has a 95 ES300 which I get tires for. Some recommendations if you want longer treadlife, a quieter ride, better traction and cheaper tires are:

Falken ZE Ziex 512 in H-rated. Just got them and personally they go well with the cars character. Being that it is H-rated, you will probably loose some ultimate handling capability, but they are very good in the rain, and have a 60K warranty. They are also very quiet and smooth riding.

Another choice would the Yokohama Avid H4S/V4S tires. These also have a 60 or 65K treadwear warranty. I had the previous version of these the H4, and they are very quiet and smooth riding and good in inclement weather.

The biggest advantage to these 2 tires are price, I got the Falken's at Sears in NJ for $68/tire so your size shouldn't be too much more.
    The Yokohama's are around the same price, and both are alot cheaper and, IMO, better tires than the MXV4's, which will run you over $110/tire.

Another tire that is very well rated is the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H or LS-V tires. These come with a 50K warranty. You may want to check out the ratings from owners on Tirerack.com. Also, a couple of LS owners have these tires and are very happy with them. these generally run about $100-$110 a tire.
  • rtorrecartorreca Member Posts: 74
    thanks for the extensive information!

I'm looking for quiet tires with good handling. I might pass on the Falken since handling is very important to me.

I considered getting the Turanzas but found in older posts that they are actually noisier than the MXV4s. I'll read the reviews of the tires and make a decision then.

thanks again!
    Everything I have read says the Turanza LS's are quieter than the MXV4s.

The Falken ZE Ziex 512's are made in a V-rated version also, which still has the 60K warranty I believe. Those will handle better than the H-rated tires. The H-rated tires handle pretty well to begin with, so I would think the V-rated will be a bit better.

You may also want to look into the Dunlop SP Sport 5000's. They are pretty good handlers with good wear and probably are as quiet as the MXV4s.
  • hardheadshardheads Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know what model/brand it has? I'd like to buy 1 or 2 extra, but can't find any info anywhere. Thanks a lot.
    First place to check is your dealer's parts department. They are easily available.
  • nfjnrnfjnr Member Posts: 25
  • paguy2paguy2 Member Posts: 26
    Most of new 2005 ES 330's are coming with 17"Tire/Wheel. Lexus web site and brochure has a note that these tires may last for less than 20K miles under certain driving conditions. What does that all mean? Can somebody shed light on this.
    paguy2,

Lower profile tires usually last less. But I believe the 17" tires on the ES330 are still V-rated tires(16" are also V-rated).

The notice though is basically just to cover their [non-permissible content removed]*es. The tires should last more than 20K miles, but it all depends on driving style.
  • gambiamangambiaman Member Posts: 131
    The right rear window quit working on my 02 ES 300. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do the windows have separate fuses? Luckily it is up and won't go down so there has been no rush to get it fixed. All the other windows work properly.
    Thanks
  • anchortwnanchortwn Member Posts: 10
    Hey guys,

I was thinking if the new ES 330's CD player can play those CD-R disks? (the ones that we burn from our computer) or not? It will be great if CD-R disks can be play in the new ES :)
    Why would you think they wouldn't play? They work in my wife's ES300.
  • anchortwnanchortwn Member Posts: 10
    haha thanks. Just to double check :P

B/c I heard some Japanese car's CD player don't support CD-R
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    Mine did the same thing. 2002 ES300. They had to replace the window motor.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Can anyone tell me the part number or numbers for the cabin air filter? Also if possible a website to buy lexus parts at discount prices? Thanks
  • suealbertsuealbert Member Posts: 1
    The transmission in my 2004 ES is the worst one I have ever had. It is sluggish, slow to respond, shifts up and down frequently. This is really a problem when accelerating after slowing down but also from start. The dealer/service has reset the transmission computer but insist there is nothing wrong. I have 5000 miles now and can truly say that I regret this car purchase because of the transmission.
    My previous Camry beats this car hands down, and it was 10 years old. I won't buy another Lexus product until or unless this is fixed.
    Also, the cupholders stink!
    Suealbert
    Did they do anything to improve the shifting on the new 2005s or are waiting for the complete redesign for 2007 models?
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    http://www.cleveland.com/business/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/bus- iness/1090056830180623.xml

Go to this article to read about 8 year/80,000 mile warranty extension to correct rotten egg/sulfur odor due to catalytic converter probelm.

The following vehicles are covered:

2002-2003 Lexus ES 300s
    2003-2004 Lexus GX 470s
    2002 to 2004 Camrys
    2003 and 2004 4Runners
    2003-2004 Corollas
    2004 RAV4s
    2002-2004 Solaras
    2004 Highlanders
    2001-2004 Sequoias
    2003-2004 Matrixes
  • morehpmorehp Member Posts: 30
    My folks have a 2004 ES330 that I've driven fairly extensively, particularly recently while they have been out of town. I have known about the transmission issue for some time and was mildly hesitant about recommending this car to my parents for that reason. However, the test drives demonstrated nothing untoward and there was nothing else at the price that was nearly as suitable for them so they went ahead with the purchase.

After 4000 miles, I concur that the powertrain can be confused at low speeds (5-25/30 mph) when you press the accelerator after coasting for some time. This can result in a somewhat abrupt lurch forward. I am not sure whether this is necessarily a transmission problem or something related to the drive-by-wire programming.

OTOH, after only a few miles I had learned how not to evoke this response. (In a nutshell: Ease onto the accelerator after you've been coasting/braking, particularly while executing a "rolling stop.")

Other than this annoying but minor and easily circumvented problem, I can't find anything wrong with this transmission. And unlike my parents, I consider myself to be a demanding and perceptive driver. Shifts are reasonably quick and seamless, downshifts (albeit sometimes requiring a heavier-than-ideal throttle foot) and gear selection appropriate. At no time have I experienced anything that could be called dangerous.

It is certainly not as perfect as the tranny in the 7-series BMW I drove last week. I would also venture that the transmission does not quite match up to the polish of the rest of the ES330's mechanical components. But it is certainly within the acceptable range for modern cars in its class.

In summary, I don't regret advising my folks to purchase this car. IMO, it is the class of the near-luxury field (as long as you are not inclined to sporty driving) and the rest of the car more than makes up for what is a very minor powertrain issue.
    Maybe the dealers should offer classes on how to work around the transmission's shifting problems.
  • morehpmorehp Member Posts: 30
    LOL! Perhaps I should hire myself out.
  • sarahsarah Member Posts: 19
    I agree 100%. You can't put a slender water bottle like poland spring in the holder lest it ejects itself and slams into anywhere inside the car. I complained that to the sales person when I saw him last time,he agreed.
  • poto1xpoto1x Member Posts: 26
    Do Toyota and Lexus deliver the safety and customer satisfaction they claim?

At Toyota and Lexus dealers, and the Edmunds Town Hall website, owners frequently complain of hesitation and surging in 2004 models (Camry, Highlander, Sienna, ES330 and RX330). Yet, Toyota claims there is no defect, and no safety problem with the transaxle and drive by wire throttle/software system—this is “normal” performance because all their cars do it.

Based on the NHTSA database of 2004 owner reports:
    • There are 13 reports of accidents with property damage, personal injury and one death related to the transmission/throttle system. (7 times the equivalent Ford and Honda accident rate!).
    • Owners of V6 models (Sienna, ES330 and RX330) are 15 times more likely than Ford and Honda owners to file a hesitation/surging complaint—Could it be because a) they have more problems b) Toyota refuses to acknowledge (or fix) the problem and c) it’s NHTSA’s job to step in when a manufacturer won’t voluntarily correct their safety defects?
    • The majority of V6 Toyota owners filing a hesitation/surging complaint state the car is unsafe. (Of the significantly fewer transmission complaints from Ford and Honda owners, none reported it as a safety hazard!)
  • poto1xpoto1x Member Posts: 26
    In addition to being stuck with Toyota's transmission/drive by wire screw up that they won't fix, we paid too much for it.

Toyota's profit was $10.24 BILLION in fy2003, more than GM, Ford, and Daimler-Chrysler combined! Toyota/Lexus is charging (and we are paying) way too much for their diminishing quality
  • bearonebearone Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 ES300 with 30K on it and my right rear window stopped working, they had to replace the motor assembly. The car was still under warranty and took about 2 hours to repair,so it was not to bad. Good Luck!!
This discussion has been closed.