Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    have been removed.

We used to have a TL vs. ES300 discussion around here - it is probably archived. If anyone wants me to do so, I can pull it out.

Or anyone interested can start a new one.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • lievliev Member Posts: 93
    people who buy Lexus are in for luxury, not how much it costs if the cost is still in what they consider an "affordable range" for them.
    if you think the cost is more important I think it's better off for you to get a Camry V6 XLE or an Accord V6 EX.
    besides, comfort is a very important thing to Lexus owners which only Lexus vehicles can offer. Luxury AND Comfort together is what makes the ES cost more than the TL. Otherwise, why would Lexus owner want to buy an ES. A lot of ES owners in this forum even complained that the ES look is too boring but they bought it anyways. Why? I hope you don't conclude that Lexus owners are stupid.
  • turbotcturbotc Member Posts: 163
    I am sorry if I offended you or anyone else. But check back to post #529 and see who is the instigator. Of course I had intention when I called him "little boy". I wasn't about to sit back and let some "you know what" come in here and bash the forum and ES owners about their decisions to own ES cars. You know I have been on Edmunds over a year and a half and do you ever recall me being harsh and instigate? With that said, I wasn't about to let someone go in and bash me about owning an ES either. I am part of this forum so by bashing ES owners he/she is bashing me as well. I have been taught and have taught my kids not to take BS from people. So with that said if I offended you I am sorry. I had no intention of doing so, just debating with certain people who decided that insulting others was the way to go. With that said I am a happy ES owner and wasn't about to stand back and take crap from others.
    no, I never said and thought you offended me. Just my opinion that WE (you, me, and others in this forum) should control our temper a little bit and advices given to other should be constructive, not offensive. but I know how you feel, I said the same thing to someone in a previous post that they should start their S70 Volvo somewhere, not to bash Lexus owners. but I guess my language was not offensive so the guy just withdrawn himself from the forum or did not get angry to talk back.

BTW, thanks for giving me a TIRE-101 course you posted a while ago to explain how tires and tire pressures work. I think it was a good explanation for someone who has absolutely no knowledge about cars, except for rearlights, like me :-) . And I think that's an example of what this forum is for. Now, I'm not saying this only to you but to everyone participating in this forum.
  • pjonkheerpjonkheer Member Posts: 22
    No, I am not calling anyone stupid here. Are you gunna sit there and tell me the TL doesn't present the driver with luxury and comfort?? I have driven both cars extensively as well, and while I find the ES being slightly more comfortable, I could not justify the 7k. Maybe 1k or 2k. I would be happy with the Accord EX V6, but that is in another class. Can't even get heated seats with the Honda. If a good portion of your arguement is about Luxury, then why doesn't the ES have a Navigation System? I know why...because it costs too much. Nobody would buy it. That would put the car right around 40k out the door and that is just rediculous. I'll take a TL with Nav for 30k out the door and spend the other 10k on a home theater or diamond for my wife.
  • PeterUbersPeterUbers Member Posts: 48
    You all forget that I was the happy and content owner of a '94 ES300 until recently. The vehicle had 108K miles on it and ran like a charm -- however, danger in costly repairs lurked beneath the sheet metal (as one could imagine on any car with that type of mileage) so I sold it to CarMax. I understand you are all content owners of the Lexus ES300, and if you may be kind to recall my intention initially, before I was baited by Turbotc and called "a little boy", as if I was not rich enough to afford a Lexus, or prestigious enough (liev), I asked a Lexus ES 300 forum -- people who LOVE the ES300 as I liked mine as well -- what is it about this car that surpasses the Acura. DMal was cool with it, I appreciated his post, civil and objective. Pjonkheer, I appreciate yours as well, civil and objective. For any prospective owner of a new vehicle, I believe and still believe word of mouth is one of the best conveyors of an owner's faith in a particular make and model. Hence the TownHall forums. I believe these forums should also be an open venue to debate among the leading competitors of the forum's mainstay vehicle in question (i.e. the ES300). Who better to comment on the superiority (or inferiority) in VALUE, LUXURY, CONVENIENCE, COMFORT, AND ECONOMY, than you ES300 owners? There is no one else. I appreciate your kind responses, and am rather shocked by your condescending, deriding responses. But I thank you none-the-less. Liev, I believe what you said to be true, people's tastes ARE indeed different, and since we don't have the convenience of all convening at Turbotc's house to talk shop, we much suffer the simplicity and unfortunately, and occassional complexity of plain text postings. Forgive me those who have been offended from my frank, revealing posts, and I forgive you Turbotc, for your condescending rhetoric on this post! Good luck to you all with your ES300's!!

Love,

Pete
    I invite you to create a new discussion titled "Acura 3.2TL vs. Lexus ES300." I did find an old one in the archives, but its most recent post is over a year ago. So I think a fresh start would be in order.

You may then ask your questions and make your points there and anyone who wants to discuss them with you can join you in a more appropriate place for this debate.

Pat
    Host
    Some more off-topic and argumentative posts have been removed.

PeterUbers and turbotc, please review your Terms of Use linked on the left sidebar.

Take this conversation to a new discussion - HOWEVER, the Terms of Use will be in effect there also.

Pat
    Host
    I said LEXUS is more prestigious than ACURA, and that's what a lot of people I know and some people in this forum said too. I did not say you're not prestigious. Don't get offended. Owning a no-name car does not make a person not prestigious. I friend is a doctor, and I think doctors are prestigious, but he drives a Honda Civic that he owned since he was in med school.

Can we change the topic?
    ..have a great day !!
    You've made some very helpful posts here in the last few hours and I thank you.

The best way to change the topic is to just quit talking about it and move on to something else, okay?

Pat
    Host
    I started deleting where I started deleting. Deleting people's posts is not something that I take lightly, and I acknowledge that I started deleting after the problem began but where I believed things got out of control. Give it a rest and move on.

Pat
    Host
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    anybody own a Lexus ES 300?
  • sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    Too bad we can't seem to honestly and objectively discuss the plusses and minuses of the various cars available today. The TL is a fine machine, sportier than the ES by far. The ES is a good car too, IMHO more refined than the TL, but definately less sporty.

But I don't think either car would win for prestige. Your ignoring all the cars people with real $$$ get to drive. The E-class is pretty nice, and BMWs 5-series or if you really have some bucks, check out the S-600s or BMW850s, or Bentleys or the Italian exotics. It don't really matter where you are on the socioeconomic scale of things. Unless you are on of those in the 99th percentile of income, you are going to make a compromise of what kind of attributes in a car are important to you. And someone is always going to come along with a more prestigious machine.

For me $30K or so is all I can part with for a car without impacting my plans to abandon the corporate salt-mine before I get old. For that money, the ES price is too discounted from MSRP to ignore, and I like the more refined aspect of the ES over the sportier and (only slightly less expensive) TL. Although, when I heard of someone making a $35K deal for an RL at the end of the 2000 model year, I was questioning my decision to by the ES (already a done deal though). When the new model year ES comes out and the prices go back to MSRP+, it might change the overall equation. The ES with leather will probably fetch $37K the first few months out.
    Your welcome for the tire post. I larned it all from tirerack.com you should check it out. I am in the process of getting winter tires for our ES. Hopefully they drop prices since winter is almost over.
  • ved3ved3 Member Posts: 43
    wow! is our ES forum popular or what??
    even people who are not lexus enthusiasts want to
    join us. I think that says a lot about the
    popularity of the ES. The top entry car will be
    a target for attacks, challenges, admiration.
    and it will only get better. I don't remember
    who posted the MARK II suggestion, but that looks
    like a very luxurious sedan. I wouldn't be
    disappointed if that's the new ES. but they need
    to take the powertrain up to another level.
    Lenscap I think did mention that Lexus insiders
    hinted the new ES would be a complete departure
    from the current design. if that's true, then
    this MARK II concept with rear/wheel drive,LS-
    like appointments may be our long awaited new ES.
    However, I wish they hadn't made the tail-lights
    Mercedes..ish or at least look like it could be.
    but only Lexus knows for sure and they're not
    revealing much about the all new 2002 ES, yet.

so we are left to wait eagerly...but at least
    we can talk about it and make speculation in
    this forum. I thank those who have kept this
    forum informative and peaceful by posting
    intelligent, mature comments. ...that's another
    piece of Lexus ownership guys.
    and oh whatever happen to Enigmaone??

take care,
  • lexusno1lexusno1 Member Posts: 3
    liev , I can't read the Japaneese characters any better than you . Just click on the blue characters and it will take you to pictures, no need to read even though some of it is in English. If you click on all of them you will even find 2 short video clips ( one in English!). This might not be the new ES300 but I was told that by both a Lexus dealer and a Toyota dealer each of whom I was shopping for cars at. I don't know why they would stop a sale by pointing me there but they did. Eventually I bought a used 98 LS 400 for about the same price as a new ES. I have had it a month and absolutely love it. It has the power (290hp)the arguments have centered on and it has every feature I could ever ask for. It is as close to silent at 70 mph as any car I have ever been in. It is still under the original warranty and the local dealer recently replaced the wood steering wheel and shift knob when the finish developed fine cracks in the 107 degree heat. They also replaced the console because it squeaked. No charge for anything! All this on a used car! Treatment like this is why I have become a Lexus bigot!
    RL and LS? I probably want to own another ES when this 01ES breaks down before I start looking into either the RL or LS. I might not want to own a RL or LS until I turn at least 50 and that still quite a while yet for me. (Hope you don't get offended. Heehee :-)
    yes, I do own one.
  • sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    Well, I have to admit, I'm closer to 50 that 35.... :-( And yes, I'm liking luxury aspects of some cars much more than I used to. No offense taken.

I purchased my 2000 ES in August of 2000. The ES is a fine automobile. But it isn't the end-all car. However, it is a great value at it's current price and has the kind of trade-offs between luxury, price and sportiness that I was looking for.

There are so many fine automobiles out there. It just seems silly to me to think than any one car is perfect. If life had put me in that 99% percentile of income, I'd have a different car for every day of the week, or mood that I was in when I left home that day. But I'm not, and I'd rather retire in a few years than spend all my money on cars.
    ah! feeling like you lost a friend (engimaone) huh?
  • patl00patl00 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone encountered problems with the sound of the stereo all of a sudden fading a little bit and then coming back to it's original sound. It doesn't happen all the time. I'm not a radio expert, so based on what is happening I'm not sure if it's a subwoffer problem or something else. It's a Nakamichi stereo on a 2000 ES300 Platinum. Any comments would be appreciated. I'm going to bring it to the dealer but it's one of those things that is hard to explain and one must hear to understand which I'm afraid the dealer will just say they don't hear any thing wrong.
  • dmallinderdmallinder Member Posts: 35
    It's supposed to do it. Automatic sound level stereos - increase in volume with speed and rpm to compensate for road noise. It's a feature.
    No, the ES does not have this feature of auto leveling stereo where the volume is increased at higher spped to compensate road noise. I had the same thing on mine, with radio losing volume and then recover back up. My dealer ordered new Nakamichi and replaced the radio. No problems since. Ask them to replace it for you. I only brought it in and they couldn't get it to do it for them but took my word and replaced it.
  • afinegoldafinegold Member Posts: 57
    The 2000 ES300s with Nakamichi do not have the auto sound levelers, but those with the standard Pioneer units do have the levelers. Since pat100's is a Platinum II with Nakamichi (the same as mine), it does not have this feature, so that could not be the problem. Pat100, does this happen only with the radio (AM and/or FM, and if FM--with both FM1 and FM2) or does it also happen with the cassette tape and or the CD player? The dealer may ask you these things. And if it's just with the radio, as far as you can tell, are you sure it's not a weak signal problem as when you're passing by a large hill, a tall steel framed building, or something of that sort?

I live in the Seattle area with many large hills and other than infrequent fading or scratchiness in some really bad reception areas, I haven't had any problems with my 2000 ES300 with Nak. You might also ask the dealer to check to make sure the diversity antenna on the back window is fully and correctly connected and that there are no breaks in the lines.

Good luck on this problem.

Al Finegold
    maybe I am wrong but I do have this feature on my MB and I remember asking my salesman when my car was in for service and he swore that he never heard of such a thing. perhaps because mine is a 99 and not a 2000. but it did have a problem where the volume decrease all of a sudden (Even standing at red light) and would go back up. Dealer did replace with a new Nakamichi. Well actually a remanufactured one. I wasn't too happy about that since the car was only 7 months old. But they said that is what Lexus sent them, a remanufactured one. But problem has not happened since. But I continue to get a buzzing sound when I listen to radio and my Nokia phone rings. Perhaps it is a feature so even if radio is loud I won't miss a call.
    Does anyone in here use Synthetic Motor Oil on the ES300? Do most folks bring the car in for service or do you change the oil yourself? Just curious.
  • lexus4melexus4me Member Posts: 3
    I have always changed my own oil. Been using Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic since day one. Great stuff.
  • bralleybralley Member Posts: 20
    We're looking for an inexpensive car to zip around town in("inexpensive" meaning one that we can purchase outright - we don't want a third car payment, we just want to park our full size pickup during the week) We have the opportunity to purchase a 1990 ES 250 with 140K miles. Asking price is $4300. The owner says that the water pump and timing chain have been replaced. We're going to look at it - anyone have any comments about this particular model? (Any info is greatly appreciated!)
    The 1990 ES250 is essentially the same as the 1990 Toyota Camry (not bashing here, just informing). It's equipped with a 155 hp V6, 4-speed auto w/ overdrive, and pioneer stereo for starters. I owned a 1991 Camry, and some of the issues that kicked in around 80K miles was in fact the water pump (most Toyos will need that replaced around this time) and the Tranny. The tranny was my reason for selling the vehicle, when I placed it in drive, it would hesitate for about five minutes before actually "driving". Anywho, for about $4300, you really can't beat that, and you should expect multiple problems to manifest in and outside of the cabin (i.e. retractable antenna issues, heating/cooling issues, tranny shifting smoothness...etc). Make sure you beat the car inta the ground before taking it home. The test drive, I find, it MOST beneficial when purchasing a used car.
  • johncliujohncliu Member Posts: 3
    About three weeks ago, I purchased a new ES300. Whenever I stepped on the accelerator, a racing noise (Grrrrr - separate from engine noise) could be heard, and the noise was especially lound when the car was cold. Also, every time I stepped on the brake, a "Pop" sound could be heard from the rear passenger side wheel well.

The first time I took the car back to the dealer, the service manager rode in the car with me and acknowledged the noise. We also drove another new ES300 to compare, and while that car also had a very faint racing noise, it was clear the noise was much louder in my car. He recommended I drive the car for a month and he would address the noise during my 1st month checkup.

I drove the car for three more days and decided to take it in again. The second time I took the car back to the dealer, they worked on it for 4 days, and returned it to me last Tuesday. The noise was still there, and they were unable as yet to tell me what they checked or did with the car.

I am going to take the car back to the dealer Monday for the third time, and I am seriously concerned. The Grrrrrr noise seems to be related to the clutch in the transmission. The brake popping noise gets sounds as though the caliper is striking the pad (air bubble in brake line?)

Should I take it to an independent mechanic?

If the problem is transmission related, should I force the dealer to repair it now (even though the car is new)?

Do I have a lemon-law recourse here where I can force them to get me a new car?

Should I trade this car in and pay the difference for another one so I don't have to deal with the problem?

HELP! (Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.)

--John
    For a lemon law to take effect, the dealership must acknowledge that they cannot fix this issue I believe. You need to contact the Better Business Bureau now to establish a claim number and case with them, and if you Lexus dealer maintains that they are unable to repair the issue (and if this issues IS covered under your bumper to bumper) then you most certainly have a case w/ the lemon law. There is an Autoline BBB that you can contact AS WELL, and they will immediately send lexus a letter stated that you have requested their free services, and they will pursue this case with you from now on until a resolution is resolved. Lemme know if ya need the phone numbers!
    There are a number of lemon law discussions in Town Hall that may offer assistance or be good places to ask questions. If you key "lemon law' into the Board Search feature on the left sidebar, you should be able to find them.

(Note that the Search feature is not optimal at this point - you will probably need to hit the "continue search" button at the bottom of the page to find them all, but it will be worth it, the discussions ARE here. The Search feature is being revised as we speak and will be more useful very shortly.)

Good luck - sorry to hear of your difficulties.

Pat
    Host
  • vernlewvernlew Member Posts: 87
    Yes, I am also using Mobil 1 5W-30 or 10W-30, whichever I can find when I need an oil change... which I do every 5K. Also use a Purolater Pure One filter....because of info in the oil filter forum and info from a Lexus parts person that the OEM filters are made by FRAM...which from what I have read...most people consider jus an average quality filter. Also, I just take my own oil and filter to the Lexus dealer and have the service done there, and I know its done right...and, when you bring your own parts...labor is only bout $15 bucks...plus I get to look at all the new Lexi!
    Vern
    Two quick points in addition to the good ones by PeterUbers and patHost:

1 - The warranty manual that came in your leatherette pouch contains, I believe, a state by state description of the Lemon Laws. Check that out for your state to see what it says.

2 - The owner's manual that also came with your car has the 1-800 phone number of the Lexus Customer Service line, which as I recall will help resolve problems or disputes that customers have with their dealers. You may want to call them and register your complaint to go on the record, even if the dealer indicates a willingness to make a good faith effort to fix the problem. You never know how things might turn out, and letting Lexus USA know of your problem early on certainly can't hurt.

Good luck.

Al--
    I too am using Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic and Pure One filters. I have been using Mobil 1 filters but found that the Pure One are half the price. Although the M1 filter is much heavier and seems more sturdy. Lexus dealer is an hour away and involve driving thru Boston which is a pain. So i had it done at local Toyota dealer but everytime I come home I see oil dripping onto my garage floor. So now I just do it myself. Crank up the tunes in my garage and spend my time and do it right. I did bring the M1 oil and filter into the Lexus dealer but you can never tell if they actually put your M1 oil into your car.
    Vinh,
    You have a good point, I am jus hoping that the Lexus service department has more scrupples (and more to loose if I find out) than the Quik Lube down the street. I do however often observe the service being performed thru a window in the customer waiting area, and attempt to speak with, the technician working on my ES, hoping the ol adage holds that people are less likely to rip off someone they know. I'm jus gettin to old and lazy to change the oil myself anymore, but as you say...if you want something done right...do it yourself. I also chose the Pure One over the M1 filter for the same reason, I couldn't determine if the M1 filter was that much better?
    Vern
  • suredsured Member Posts: 4
    This may be a no-brainer, but, I have the chance to get either a 1996 ES300 with 40,000 miles on it or a brand new 2001 Corolla for the same price.
    The car will be driven by my wife who puts a premium on reliability and trouble free driving.
    Everyone here seems so well informed so I am looking for a little guidance.
    Vern,

It is also convenience since I normally do 2 cars at once. I do miss the Lexus wash and vacuum service though. My dealer even has the pickup and drop off service but I on't feel comfortable having other people beat on the car. Have you ever wash your engine yet? I mean degreasing it? Mine has 26k miles now and has grease all over and I would like to pressure wash it. However I am a bit concern since our last Volvo has tons of problems that we had to get rid of it before the warranty expired. Mostly electrical related problems. The dealer fixed it everytime but I am beginning to wonder if it has to do with me washing the engine.

sured,
    If you are looking for "trouble free and reliability" then I would probably go with the Corolla. The ES is already 5 years old and warranty is probably up now if not close to it. Unless it is a certified pre-owned. If you wanted the power, luxury and roominess the go for the ES. Otherwise the Corolla will give you reliability and better gas mileage.
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    I change my own oil and filters about every 4000 miles. I use synthetic oil and the top-of-the-line Fram filters.

I've used power washers ($.25 car washes) to clean my engines for over 30 years and have NEVER encountered any difficulties with Toyotas or any other Japanese vehicles after cleaning them. I avoid directly spraying the distributors and the alternators, but that's about it. Engines today are much better sealed against the elements than in the past. Don't worry.

Years ago a friend of mine worked in the service dept. of a Chevy dealer. Whenever a car came in for oil & filter change, they looked to see if the filter was a GM filter. If it was, they merely wiped it off with a rag so it "looked new" and didn't bother changing it. Let's hope Lexus doesn't employ any of those old Chevy mechanics. LOL!
    if you live in Northern VA maybe you should try Lexus of Alexandria service dept. I had loud engine noise problem before. The dealer where I bought my car refused to correct this noise problem for me and said that it is "normal" in an ES300 (can you believe that?) I then brought my car to Lindsay Lexus (Lexus of alexandria) and had it fixed there. I'm now happy with my car.

I thought I was the only one that did not pay much attention while test driving the car, but evidently there are similar cases where people didn't think the car has any problems until they bring it home. I don't know why people (including me) couldn't recognize that there are problems with the car until it's too late to pick another one.
  • ved3ved3 Member Posts: 43
    Motor oil and filter:
    I try to get them replaced at a local shop that
    I trust. save some money. I think they use
    Castrol synthetic. I agree with you guys that
    if you know how, it's best to do it yourself.
    who can you trust more than yourself? you also
    get to spend some time with your beloved car.

Liev,
    I think we all lost a friend. Enigmaone helped
    a lot of people here including yours truly.
    he worked for Lexus so he knew a lot about it.

The only stereo problem I had was a defective
    LCD screen. I mentioned this before. the sound
    quality, clarity has always been class leading
    however. I'm happy.

The only noise problem I've had is after a zero
    degrees or less night when I start the car. it
    doesn't sound as smooth as usual. the shifting
    from 1st to 2nd is jerky. then everything is
    smooth and sweet again when the car warms up.

The Corolla or ES alternative really is a no-
    brainer for me. I'd pick the ES over any average
    new car anyday. especially with only 40K miles.
    but it's your choice. test drive both cars first.
    then make a list of pros and cons for each car.
    good luck.

take care
    Vinh,
    Agree with Rick, have never had a problem washing down the engine compartment at one of those self-serve wash stalls (although the ones in S Florida have signs posted that you cannot wash gunk from your engine compartment into their drains?)
    I try not to hit the middle of the engine bay and back fire wall where some of the electricals are with full force spray. Also, I try to direct the spray perpendicular to the engine ie I don't spray from the sides, afraid some water might go where it might cause some trouble. Good Luck, I don't think you will have any problems. Jus have that AAA number handy...:-)
    Vern
  • ecafecaf Member Posts: 44
    I've read about Toyota Racing Development's plans for factory-backed upgrades for the (non VVT-i) 1999-2001 Toyota Solara 2-door coupe. Since this car shares its mechanical platform with the Lexus ES300/Toyota Windom, will TRD show similar support for this car?

TRD's Solara has a supercharged 3.0 V6 which puts out 240 to 260 horsepower (depending on upgrade stage) compared with the stock 200 horsepower. The 1997-1998 ES/Windom uses essentially the same engine as the Solara. Imagine your ES with a TRD supercharger! Maybe a Lexus ES300 TRD will be Toyota's answer to the (boo, hiss...) Acura TL-S.

I'd like to hear from someone with more info on this, especially '97 - '98 ES owner who has inquired/taken the plunge.

Regards,
    ecaf
  • dwassondwasson Member Posts: 4
    I'm currently looking for a 1994 or 1995 Lexus ES 300. Is it reasonable to assume if I look long enough I can find one with under 90,000 miles and in excellent condition for under $14,000? Is a 1993 with 104,000 miles a good deal at $9000? Does the 1994 model use the new RC-134a coolant and 1993 and older use the old freon? Should I look for any particular options that aren't standard? Thanks
  • stevejjjjjstevejjjjj Member Posts: 31
    I have a 2000 Camry V6 that has 28k miles on it. I just washed the engine and it came out spotless. I drove it to a self service bay car wash and took saran wrap and wrapped all electrical wirings that are exposed and sprayed a can of Gunk onto the engine and let it sit for 5 minutes a sprayed it down. After starting the car the belt squeaks a little bit. But not to worry because there is water on the pulleys and after driving for a short time the squeaking should stop. A clean engine definitely makes the car look better and maybe add resale value should you sell it.

motor oil: I change my own oil with mobil 1 5w-30 and AC Delco Ultraguard Gold filters ($10 at pep boys).
  • johncliujohncliu Member Posts: 3
    Thank you very much for the comments about how to handle the engine noise problems on my ES300. As previously stated, I bought a new ES300 at the beginning of February, and I have been back to the dealer twice about a whine coming from the engine compartment whenever I stepped on the accelerator (especially loud in 2nd gear at around 2k rpm). On both occasions they acknowledged the noise but couldn't find anything wrong.

Yesterday, I took it back once more to Lexus of Nashville, and they very nicely told me they couldn't do anything about it. Thank you *liev* about suggesting I take it to Lexus of Alexandria. I will give them a call tomorrow. I called Lexus Headquarters in CA, and they offered to take the case up on my behalf against the dealer. I am very hesitant to take it to that extreme, since I bought two other Lexus vehicles from the dealer and have a very nice relationship with them.

Does anyone have experience with a whine (*NOT* engine whine) whenever they step on the accelerator? It almost sounds like there's a small hole in the exhaust pipe or catalytic converter.
  • hhjrhhjr Member Posts: 5
    Hey, Ladies and Gentlemen. I'm seriously considering purchasing a 1992 ES300. It has 132,000 miles and possible Odometer fraud. I've seen where someone experienced trouble with a 1993 ES300 in the Odometer. The dealer is offering a one year warranty covering the engine and transmission. There is also slight noise in the steering column. Possibly the power steering pump needs replacing. Let me know if this sounds like a wise investment for under $9000 and about the service history. Greatly appreciate your advice. This is my first message.....
    hhjr
    If anyone is interested, familycar.com has a very complimentary review of the current Lexus ES300, which of course is identical to the 2000 model and very similar to the previous few years. The link is http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/LexusES300/.

One of the nicest things about the review is the good words it has for the car's looks and styling, which has been the subject of some debate here lately. Among other comments, the reviewer says "In my opinion, this is one of the nicest looking sedans on the road with clean, flowing lines and excellent proportions when viewed from any angle."

Take a look at the article--I think that most board participants will enjoy it.

Al--

The pictures of the interior make me think that they're taken from a '00 model because it does not have the wooden steering wheel. Even though wooden steering wheel is considered as optional feature, it is made that way for 01 models and you have no choice but to buy it. I hated it in the beginning but now am glad to have it because it makes the interior look classy.

Alfinegold,

Thanks, that was very good information. I'm going to tell my brother to get the MDX. He wants an SUV with third row seats. This would be a perfect one for him, especially with that kinda price.
This discussion has been closed.