Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• josel1138josel1138 Member Posts: 12
    Hi everyone......really enjoy the information on this board......My '03 Max automatic has a clicking sound that is heard/felt through the transmission stick......It happens right at the point that the car stops during normal braking......has anyone else felt/heard this before........trying to decide whether I should go to the dealer.........thanks a ton.......

btw....i also have never felt any pinging while using 87 octane but use premium for better mileage
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    You cant shift out of park unless your foot is on the brake. So what you are hearing/feeling is the shift lock release mechanism when you push the brake pedal. Its normal AFAIK.
  • bobfeldbobfeld Member Posts: 33
    dealers here are now 4/18 advertising SE Maximas at $5400 off list...
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Where is "here"?
  • rishipriship Member Posts: 65
    I have a 96 GLE. I use to keep the car in suburban Houston and would get about 21/28. Now I have taken the car to law school in Bloomington Indiana. Ever since I have been here my mileage has dropped to 13. Granted I live and go to school in downtown. My driving is all at low speeds (25-35) with a stop sign or light every 200 feet. Trips are short at generally under a mile. I would say that it is actually pretty similar to Manhattan driving. Also I had to switch from Shell premium to BP premium as there is no Shell here. I haven't done any highway driving. Is it really normal to get such low mileage under these downtown conditions, or do I have a problem? Cost isn't really a big deal as I drive only 30 or 40 miles a week.
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    riship - yes quite normal if driven only very short distances. I was in the same situation at one point, and was getting as low, if not lower MPG figure than you. I'm back to normal MPG now as I drive longer trips. Check your MPG next time you go on a longer trip.

Oh, and very short trips for a long period of time may be detrimental to your engine. Best is to have at least one longer (40 mile) trip at least once every 10-15 days.
  • josel1138josel1138 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks blh7068........your reply gives me great piece of mind........I had no idea what that clicking was.......has anyone had to replace their HID lights yet due to a burnout (or whatever they do)......believe I read somewhere it runs in the hundreds..........also, on the funny side, I was looking at a USAToday insert concerning the 04 Maxima and it had all this striking photography of the car.......after looking a little closer, though, I noticed that not one picture was of it's front grill.....apparently marketing is concerned about its reaction with consumers.....lots of pics of the rear, though
  • deciding3deciding3 Member Posts: 13
    hi everyone,
    I've been following your discussion forum for a while and wanted to ask you guys for some help.
    I'm getting out of college this Spring and looking for a car. I have shortlisted my choices to 2 cars:
    Chevy Malibu 2002 25K miles for 10K
    Nissan Max SE 2002 25K miles for about 16K
    While, price is certainly a big factor to me as I'm just getting out of college and also I don't really need a maxima type of car right now. But I can get the maxima through financing if the deal is good and if it'll be a better and more economical car in the long run. I wanted to know what you guys thought about it as most of you own maximas. Also, would you know anything about the difference in insurance rates for the 2 cars. I'm thinking that the maxima will have a much higher premium.
    Please let me know what you guys think being firsthand owners. I have shortlisted to these 2 cars using help from discussion forums, and i'd really appreciate information. Thanks!
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    The only advantage this poor Malibu has in this unfair comparison is the price, other than that Max all the way, size, reliability, power, depreciation...You name it.
    deciding3, hang around here more knowledgeable enthusiasts will fill you in.
    Good luck!
  • jq3jq3 Member Posts: 52
    I just purchased a '97 Maxima SE as our 3rd car and all I can say is "WOW"! This car is amazing! I am awestruck by the way the car has held up 6 years later, especially the interior. The car has 80K on the odo., leather, Bose, sunroof, automatic climate control, auto tranny, alarm/keyless entry and it all works and looks great! The engine is smooth as silk and powerful with great gas mileage. I feel I got a an awesome bargain for $9600. I use to own a '96 SE which I purchased brand new in Oct. '95 (traded it 9 months later for a '96 Trans AM) and I swear my '97 drives and rides as if it were a few months old...incredible! Obviously, the previous owner took good care of it, but I think Nissan deserves some "Kudo's" for such a great car!

Well now that I have praised my "Max". I have one question...is it possible to have the dealer program the keyless entry the lock the doors when the car is in gear and unlock them when the car is in park? It's all Nissan OEM, no aftermarket alarm.

Thanks!!!
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    16k for a 2002 maxima sounds like a very good deal, i assume it's base model without the sunroof and etc... but..

before purchasing,i would highly suggest to you if money is an issue, to go for a 1997 to 2000 maxima... it might have more miles than the malibu, but overall, it'll be a better value for your money than the malibu for many aspects - power, size, image (maxima's have a better product image than a malibu)... etc..
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    I agree. I'd take a 5 year old Maxima over a two year old Malibu any day. Hell, my 13 year old, 150K mile Maxima has never, ever failed to get me where I'm going. For the first 12 years, it never needed a single thing replaced other than wear and tear items. It started to get annoying in the last year with little things like window regulators failing and sunroof shades coming off the track but still runs great and looks pretty darn good.
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    I agree with kyle - go for the '97-'99 Maxima. The Malibu IS a reliable choice... but you'll tire of it quickly. They really are entirely different classes of car. And insurance really isn't as bad as you think; I replaced an 02 Intrigue with an 03 Maxima, and my insurance only went up by $34 per 6 months. You'll definately want to check this out beforehand, particularly if you live in the upper NJ/NYC area.

The one knock against the Maxima is that it requires premium fuel. However, think of it this way; it is much cheaper to own a car you're truly happy with, than to settle for something you don't want and then ditch cars every two years.
  • ramped1ramped1 Member Posts: 159
    There's no question that the Maxima is the better car as far as driving dynamics and reliability. And, if you plan to sell it within the next two or three years, the resale also makes the Maxima a better buy.

But, since money is an issue for you, the better deal up front is the Malibu. While it is not in the same class as the Maxima, it is one of GM's more reliable midsize products and should give you good service. And, 6K is a lot of cash to save at your stage of life. You have plenty of time to dump big $$$ on cars when you are established.

However, you should be able find a 25K Malibu for less than $10K, unless the '02 Malibu is loaded.

Only you know how much it is worth to you to own a real driver's car (the Max) as opposed to simply having transportation. Good luck with your decision.
    There's no question that the Maxima is the better car as far as driving dynamics and reliability. And, if you plan to sell it within the next two or three years, the resale also makes the Maxima a better buy.

But, since money is an issue for you, the better deal up front is the Malibu. While it is not in the same class as the Maxima, it is one of GM's more reliable midsize products and should give you good service. And, 6K is a lot of cash to save at your stage of life. You have plenty of time to dump big $$$ on cars when you are established.

However, you should be able find a 25K Malibu for less than $10K , unless the '02 Malibu loaded.

Only you know how much it is worth to you to own a real driver's car (the Max) as opposed to simply having transportation. Good luck with your decision.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Agree with jg3. Have '97 SE with 65,000 miles, not a single problem over 6 years, runs like new. Indestructible.
  • phaworthphaworth Member Posts: 20
    I am replacing all 4 of my original 2001 gle tires this week and I am curious about tire pressure. The tire dealer said that they will inflate all four tires to 34 psi and not the 33 psi front and 30 psi rear. I would like to hear from anyone who is on their second set of tires as to what they did. I prefer 34 psi all around as I got excessive wear on my front tires which I believe was due to the difference in pressure. What do you think? Thanks.
  • vegoenvegoen Member Posts: 82
    How come the maxima is slower then altima and accord, they made it way too heavy and added sports features which dont even make sense to the cars styling
  • bcohenbcohen Member Posts: 58
    I have been in the market for a used Maxima and will be buying a car later this spring. I talked to my insurance agent about the vehicles I'm considering. I was shocked to see that the Maxima is in the same repair category as the Corvette. One of the highest categories. I will now probably end up buying my friend's SVT Contour from him for a really good deal. I was surprised to see how much lower the insurance is on the SVT versus the Maxima. I would have never guessed that.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I'm not sure about "repair categories", but the difference in insurance (presumably collision & comprehensive, not liability) may also be the result of significant differences in the Maxima's vs. Contour's value. A three year old Maxima is worth at least 40-50% more than a Contour. In the event of a accident, the insurance company will pay out a lot more to fix a Maxima, but will simply hand you a check for the (low) market value of a Contour.

If you are looking at a 5-6 year or older Contour, you might want to consider not even insuring it. The difference between it's market value and your insurance deductable may not be worth the premiums for collision.
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Kind of an unflattering article on the re-design.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/04/22/pf/autos/nissan_maxima/index.htm
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The new Maxima is slower, more than likely because it's heaier than the Altima and Accord. You can't judge a car solely by its size.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I saw my first redesigned Maxima at the gas station the other day. It was that orangish-looking color, and an SE. I didn't really like it that much. The entire interior was black, save for the bright silver on the dashboard and center stack. I also despise the new exterior styling. The Maxima seems to get uglier and uglier with each passing generation.
  • monte4monte4 Member Posts: 101
    Boy was that guy at CNN harsh on it but I agree with alot of it. The Max should have laid to rest with the 03 or they could have extended the 03 to the 04 model year and let it rest in peace. This Max just isnt cutting it with alot of folks moreso than any of the previous ones.
    that toaster style sunroof that doesn't open is optional? i can bet you stealers..i mean dealers.. will be giving that option away for free.. who's going to pay for it? NOT ME.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    The "skyview" roof ( the panel that doesn't open) is standard while the sunroof that does open is a stand alone option for both models. At least you don't have to buy other packages to get the sunroof!
    advertising slogan for the '04 Maxima: "The Four Door Eyesore."

Geez, what have they done to this car?
  • gsxrter1994gsxrter1994 Member Posts: 24
    I think the sky view sun roof is very nice and its a included for no charge.
    Plus its DEALERS NOT STEALERS KYLE. :)
  • weathermanbob1weathermanbob1 Member Posts: 17
    Hello, This is my first time posting to the Max Board but I LIKE the styling of the 2004. It looks substantial stable and sporty yet still looks like a family sedan. I will test drive one to see how it drives. But for now I am interested. I just paid off my 99 v6 Camry (which i love) but I will definitely consider this car as an upgrade to my Camry in a few years. Personal tastes you gotta love America. I do, that is part of the reason I am a weather forecaster in the Air Force. Have a great day Bob.
    why is it necessary to have 18in wheels on the new maxima? yes it looks good, but it's wayyyyy overdone

i'm driving a 03 grand am GT right now while away from home on business, but for whatever reason, the driver ergonomics is just better.. the steering wheel is beefier.. the radio is slightly pointed towards the driver.. certains things is just better in this car than in my maxima...

i drove my max over easter, and the steering wheel just seem so thin.. i want to replace it, but then i have to do the airbag and etc.. not worth the effort..

• kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    You are not defecting, are you? :-) Few people on this Board has actually praised the Grand Am over the Max, but I think your personal preference about driver ergonomics (in certain areas)is legitimate. I have not driven the 2k Max (I think that is the one you have) or the Grand Am, but my 03 Max steering wheel is thicker than my 97 Max. I believe the thicker steering wheel gives the car or driver a more substantial feel, but the optimal thickness may also be an individual preference. JMHO.
    Why 18 inch wheels? Because there appears to be a crazy trend out there to increase the diameter of wheels and to decrease the tire profile and one manufacturer is trying to beat another by introducing disproportionately large wheels on vehicles. Have you seen the 20 inch wheels on the new Dodge pickups? These people will be in for a nasty surprise when time comes for new tires. I believe that 16 inch rims are plenty for any Maxima, and 17 is pushing it. 18 is just plain ridiculous. I own an 83 Mercedes 300 SD and it has 14 inch rims. And it is a big and heavy car, bigger than any Maxima. I can get a set of Michelins for $ 70 a piece for it. Try that with a car with 18 inch rims! Be more like $ 175 a piece.

I can't wait to see some SUV with 24 inch rims next. Some people really think that the bigger must be better.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    bigger rims makes sense because it can improve ride and handling. The idea is the tires are relied on less for 'ride compliance' so the sidewalls can be reduced, which improves handling and response. The suspension design has to be improved, through stiffer chassis and better designed struts/ shocks/ linkage. Overall, this is a better approach than trying to obtain ride compliance through smaller wheels and more flexible sidewalls. Because then with the higher flexible sidewalls you can't get any handling. With bigger wheels you can have both.
    Like everything else, there are advantages and disadvantages. Low profile large tires usually mean a stiffer jarring ride and not everybody cares for that. Secondly, my old Mercedes, due to its superior chassis design, has better handling characteristics than many newer cars with low profile tires. So, as you mentioned, it takes good chassis engineering to give you both good ride and good handling with low profile tires.

Low profile large tires require very careful balancing and that is not easy to get from a regular tire store in the USA. Even balancing my 98 SE 16 inch tires is not easy. 1/4 ounce (7 gram) weight increments commonly used in most tire shops just don't do it. I have to go to places that have weights in 5 gram increments and a well calibrated balancer. And, even then, it takes them several tries to get it right.
  • collinjeremycollinjeremy Member Posts: 16
    My sister-in-law owns a 2000 (I think) Malibu she bought used with about 50k miles on it. I actually had the chance to drive it on one occassion and I can only say that this is not a well built car. The A/C would cut out for no reason at all, the position of the drivers seat is horrible, interior is very very cheap looking, the car had rattles galore and a the thing felt like it was going to fall apart.

I would spend a little more and get the much better more refined Maxima.

BTW-I saw a silver '04 Maxima the other day and it didn't look to bad to me. Maybe the new style is growing on me.
    Your description of Malibu is just like Pontiac Grand Am that one of my coworkers owns. Incessant A/C problems, brake rotor problems, pitted aluminum wheels, gearshift problems, electrical problems, alignment problems, you name it. Malibu is not the only GM car that is built cheap.
    I agree with you P100!
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    Go over to one of the Pontiac Grand Prix or Grand Am forums and look at all the problems those people are having with their cars. It amazes me that people still buy that junk and that there is any brand loyalty there.
    the "here" is st louis
    anyone contemplating buying an 03 max better hurry....the supply here is dwindling really fast...dealer said once the 04 max came out sales of the 03 took off...guess people wanted to get a "good" Max while they still can
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    Or maybe it was just being able to get a new Maxima for about $20K.
    I am seeing and hearing the same thing here, my dealr only has 3 left. I havent seen one for 20K, but with the deals you are getting you are getting a helluva a car for the price, people know a good deal/bang for the buck these days!
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    I just went to a dealers website here in the Philly Area, and they still have 19 SE autos and 8 GLE's left( only 1 SE manual). They had about 40-45 total 2003's about 2 weeks ago.
  • mac4mikemac4mike Member Posts: 1
    I intend to buy a 2004 Maxima this month, after having a four wheel drive SUV with Traction Control for the past three years. I am working with an Internet Sales Manager from a big dealership who is a straight shooter. I thought I should buy what Nissan calls VDC or Vehicle Dynamic Control; which, as I understand it, is a subtle form of computer override, adjusting brakes and throttle to help prevent skidding and accidents. VDC also includes Traction Control.

The Sales Manager calls VDC an "expensive toy" and actually advised against the $900 (list price) option. I cannot find any more information on the subject. I will appreciate any opinions as to whether this is a toy or a valuable safety system for a family car. Thank you for your help.
  • carguy71carguy71 Member Posts: 10
    I certainly wouldn't call it a toy, since it's a safety device. I'm not going to profess that I know the complete workings of the system either, but I prefer to take just about every safety option available on my vehicles and would find value in VDC. The value you see in it may differ, depending on where you live in the country, but my understanding of it is that VDC is another device to help in a skid/slide situation. In a rainy, snowy, or slick environment, in a panic situation, it could mean the difference between getting into an accident or avoiding one.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Sales managers by nature, well sell. My guess is that the particular model configuration your looking at doesn't frequently come with the VDC option. So he's trying to steer you away from it.

If you ever have to drive in snow, you'll want it. The $900 cost is nothing compared to what one small fender bender (let alone something bigger) would cost you in repairs and insurance rate increases.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I agree with carguy71 that a safety device is not a "toy". I can say from personnal experience that the $1,000 I paid for ABS on my 1995 Maxima SE was invaluable on at least 2-3 occassions. A lot more so than the sunroof I didn't get.

That said, I also don't know what the Maxima VDC entails and how well it actually works. BMW's and Mercedes systems are supposedly very sophisticated and work well in panic or unexpected situations. You may want to research this a bit more before taking your salepersons advice.
  • ctl1ctl1 Member Posts: 18
    dklanecky is right about sales managers steering customers away from what they don't have and towards what they do have. And what Nissan dealers don't have are a lot of cars with the VDC option. The 2004 Maxima is one of the cars I'm considering in my new car search. If I get a Max, I would want the VDC. I checked out Nissan's web site which allows you to search dealer inventory. Searching the inventories of dealers in the DFW, Phoenix and Los Angeles areas, I found 1 car in DFW, none in Phoenix, and several in the Los Angeles area though most of those came with the Elite package. I suspect anybody who really wants this option will have a very small selection of vehicles from which to choose.
    I would say that this option is definitely worth having if you drive on snow or ice covered roads. On a FWD car it is less of a necessity than on a RWD car, especially ones with high horsepower output. Most such systems will also have a manual override button. As with anything else, these types of systems increase the vehicle's complexity and invite problems down the road. So getting one requires a cost vs benefit analysis.
  • carz10carz10 Member Posts: 4
    I live in the US and would of liked to get Traction Control, on my 02 SE, but would have to add a few thousand $$'s in options to get it. In Canada there is a Auto Transmission package with includes the TC, and you do not have to buy any other options before you can get it!! I think that would of been a great package for all of us in the USA.