Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• arcoatesarcoates Member Posts: 221
    We have the 3.5, and I can say it is the better choice. The 3.5 and 4.0 are so close in performance, that the $5000 premium is not worth. They are almost identical down low, it's only when you get up to the higher ranges that the V8 slightly pulls ahead.

As for torque steer, it's almost nil. I dunno what it's like with the V8, but I would think it would be more because of more power.

The V6 is a better handling car, because a bit better weighted F/R. The 3.5 fits perfectly in the aurora, because it is a relatively light car. Go for the 3.5, and save yourself some money. And then take a nice vacation to the Bahamas.~A.R.
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    My mechanic told me about the radio reset the same day you posted the answer.

Arcoates - glad to see you have become a regular. We need more "Next Generation" folks in here. The Classic owners can't speak to the new car.

Henry
    Henry- I have noticed that it is dominated by "classic" owners. And as a result, there isn't much discussion about the new gen. It doesn't help that Olds has been killed, because now people may shy away from buying a new Aurora, which is a fantastic car. I think they will really drop the price, as the phase out nears its end. Too bad- Olds looked promising too. C'est la vie!~ A.R.
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    This always ticks off the 300M guys, but ever wonder how the slightly heavier and considerably less powerful(215 hp versus 253 hp) Aurora 3.5 is just as quick as the 300M?
    I know. I would take the Aurora over the 300M anyday just because the Aurora is based on a luxury car platform, whereas the 300M is based on the LH platform that is shared with above all the Intrepid.

Aurora= luxury car
    300M= loaded up family car
  • younggun5younggun5 Member Posts: 1
    I love the look of the Aurora, and am considering getting a '95-'97 model. Are there any major reliability issues I should be concerned with for the older models? Also, some of the '95 cars I've seen are around the 90k mile mark. Should I be worried that it's just a little short of the 100k mile first service? What's involved in the 100k tune-up?

Thanks.
  • lobstermanlobsterman Member Posts: 31
    my 97 classic recently developed an oil and antifreeze leak. they both are very slight and does not happen every day. had put in new radiator in dec. 2000. i also noticed yesterday as i'm driving, a low scrapping noise that seems to be coming from the wheels. put in neutral and noise is still there. happens only when moving. please help with any advice.
    The sound you hear from the wheels is probably the breaks. If you left the car sitting for a few days the rust that builds up on the discs will cause the grinding sound. In addition, if you have not replaced the breaks from the ones supplied from the factory, it is most probably the breaks need replacing after 4 years. I would start there first.

I have let my 95 sit for 1 1/2 weeks and experienced this grinding sound. If it is just a matter of rust buildup, if you keep driving the car the sound will go away as the rust is grinded off the breaks with use.

The oil pan was a problem with the 95's I thought. The seal on the oil pan needed to be replaced on some of the 95's. This was done to my car before I bought it (my Classic had about 12K on it when I brought the car). In any event, replacing the gaskets on the oil pan and cooling system should do the trick.

ZINC - How many miles do you drive a year? I thought you posted awhile ago that you only had about 60k on your 96. By the way. 139mph and no speeding ticket, I am IMPRESSED!
    What is your secret? For how many miles were you able to maintain the speed? What did she ride like at that speed? Were you just going straight, or did you have to take a few bends/turns in the road? If so, ho much did the car lean? What did the baby Northstar sound like at that speed? Have you done any mods to the car or is it still 100% stock? If you ever do it again, I also would like to know the reading on the tach.

I know I asked a lot of qustions, but I would appreciate you taking the time to answer them when you have the time. I think taking the car to 139mph (basically pinning the speedometer) is a story worth posting to the Classic site.

YOU GO BOYZZZZEEEE!!
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Hi folks,

I'm looking at either a used '98 Aurora, or buying a new Intrigue. The '98 is a black/black one-owner lease model, loaded, in good condition with 27k miles for $19k. This seems like a good deal to me, considering the sticker on this car was probably $38k...

I've driven my mother-in-law's Auroras (she used to work on the assembly line that built them). Her used '95 was pretty good to her - got it for a good price and drove it for a couple years with few problems, before a persistent oil leak and SUV fever caused her to trade it in.

She realized the error of her ways, and last fall bought a '98 with 34k miles for $22k. I've driven both cars, but not hard (I can be an aggressive driver, just not with her :-).

Pro's or con's to the '98's? Did many of the "teething" type problems (so common in the first year of GM production) get worked out towards the end? I've never been an extended warranty kind of guy, but, on a used '98 which I'd like to keep for 4-5 years, buying a car from a company about to become extinct, would it make sense to get one (what I'm thinking)?

Any other pro's/con's? I've never owned a car with a V-8 before, nor premium fuel. OTOH, I only drive 10k miles/year, so what's the fuel differential really? Insurance between the new Intrigue and used Aurora seems to be a wash. The Aurora's obviously cheaper than a new Intrigue...

I haven't driven this particular car (or a GL or GLS Intrigue, which I will soon enough). Any other advice/thoughts/opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated (I posted a similar message on the Intrigue board)...

Thanks,

--Robert
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    I'd keep a close eye on E-Bay if I was interested in buying a used Aurora - seems to be never ending supply of decent Auroras going through there. Even if you don't bid and buy, you'll get a pretty fair idea on what they are selling for. I think some dealers are finding it easier to get these cars sold on national auction than wait for customers to come shopping to their lot.

Good luck

Ken
  • jwadlejwadle Member Posts: 12
    Hello,

I have a 1997 Aurora with 50,000 mile on it. Has anyone had a loud "growl" noise come from the power streeing when turing at low speeds.. I think there may be a TSB on this, but I am not sure.

Thanks for any help
  • redskin024redskin024 Member Posts: 110
    check the level of your power steering fluid. Its probably low.
    I'll respond here rather than in the Intrigue board as that one is alot more active and has many more posts. I am debating the same thing you are. I am currently leasing a 98 Intrigue and the lease will be up this summer. With the excellent deals on new Oldsmobiles and the 5 year 60K extended warranty, I am leaning somewhat toward a new loaded Intrigue. HOWEVER, I am seeing excellent deals on low mileage 98 Auroras and in all honesty, I do prefer luxury cars and particularly V8s so I may swing that way. Decisions decisions... Anyway, my father has a 95 and I have spent alot of wheel time in it so I can comment on the two. The Intrigue is the sportier of the two no doubt. Remember, we are comparing the first generation Aurora here. The Intrigue is nearly 500 lbs lighter than the Aurora so you can imagine it feels more nimble. The Aurora, however, is much quieter inside and much more solid feeling. And despite it's size and weight, it handles very well. Being a luxury car, the Aurora naturally has more features and looks/feels more upscale than the Intrigue does. Big drawbacks on the Intrigue are it's rather high levels of road noise and some cheap looking interior bits while the drawbacks on the Aurora are it's extra thirst(and it requires premium) and somewhat bulky dimensions. All in all, both are excellent cars depending on your tastes. If you lean toward a Cadillac, the Aurora is your cup of tea whereas if you lean more toward a Maxima, Camry, or even BMW(but just can't afford it) the Intrigue would probably suit you better. I highly recommend driving both. Good luck.
    I had just finished having my aROARaa in the shop for the 100,000 tune up. The car felt new again, like the day back in 1996 when I drove it off the showroom floor. In driving this instrument that melted the computer technology and mechanical engineering of the NorthStar together under the celestial name AURORA.

The car was saying I am young again.

As I took my drive home listening to the radio station my kids had put on the station the day before, the youthful energy the car had with its 100k tune-up started become infectious.

I was approaching my favorite stretch of highway. It's a straight stretch that descends from a hill into a valley where you can see for a good mile. It then ascends up another hill. There's no place for the Highway Patrol to hide in front or behind when there are few cars there This asphalt slice of motoring heaven had taken me pass the 109mph Autobahn Package threshold.

The highway was now calling to me again. The car was shouting I am young again.

And then it happend . . . .

It was no longer 2001, it was 1985. It was time to replace the Backstreet Boys, N Sync, Britney Spears, or whatever was passing for the latest musically challenged, highly processed and marketed wonderkid(s).

I searched trough my collection. The mood had to be right. First one song, no , another, no , another, not that one. And then I heard it. . . .

It is the Night
    My body is weak
    I am on the run no time to Sleep
    I have got to ride
    Ride Like the Wind
    to be Free Again!

Yeah that is it.

ME!
    AURORA!
    CHRISTOPHER CROSS!
    HIGHWAY!
    NO COPS!

It was time. I FLOORED IT. And the car responded. 80mph, 95mph, 110mph, 128mph, 139mph. All the time the Aurora V8 roaring like the big cat it is. The mighty Simba the child of Mufasha - the Cadillac NorthStar.

But all too soon, in such a brief moment, it was over. The top speed limited at 139mph - but a speedometer pinned to its extreme nonetheless. As I eased back into the speed limit the song said it best . . . . . .

Never was the kind
    To do as I was told!
    Gotta ride like the Wind
    Before I get Old!

(((KIDS DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME)))
    Gotta love any car that is exhilarating enough to bring back one's youth - even if only for a fleeting moment!

Super post, Henry - thanks for the good read.

Ken
    Glad to see your Aurora still knows how to play. Good song too. Another one that I like to crank up when I'm doing a high speed run is Kenny Loggins Danger Zone from the Top Gun soundtrack. Bad to the Bone also makes for a good one to crank.
  • carbuyer66carbuyer66 Member Posts: 18
    I am also deciding between a used Aurora and a "newer," loaded Intrigue. Oddly enough, although the Aurora is the luxury model, the Intrigue is the larger of the two cars. I am over 6'1'' and have a large frame so this is an issue for me. I love the ride of both cars; I guess I am leaning toward the Aurora because I have not heard as much in terms of poor reliability issues as I have heard with respect to the Intrigue. The price of a '98 Aurora and a 2000 Intrigue GLS are about the same here in Texas.
  • gisomgisom Member Posts: 144
    Henry
    That was really nice. It brought a smile to my face cause I know that Aurora can get down when you ask it to.
  • lobstermanlobsterman Member Posts: 31
    thanks for responding to my problems with my 97 classic. took it to dealer on wed. found out that the hub bearings needed replacing. warranty was taken care by warranty gold, $1012.00. they pressure checked the cooling system and there was no leaks? the oil leak was according to them coming from a worn out fiber washer on the drain plug, which was replaced. everything's working great now. just hit 60k today.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    The intrigue definitely has more room than the aurora. Especially in the front seat.
    The intrigue is also wider.
  • andyl2andyl2 Member Posts: 84
    My 95 Aurora is occasionally having a hard time starting when it is warm or partially warm (15-20 seconds of cranking). Anyone else had this problem? What was the solution? The car has 70,000 miles on it.
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    The most likely sources of hard warm starting problems are deposits in the IAC (idle air control) system, or a malfunction (especially intermittent) in the sensing of the fact that the engine is warm. Check (or have checked) the coolant temperature sensor and its connectors and wiring. I don't know if the '95 has the OBDII system (my '95 Cutlass Supreme twin cam 3.4 was one of the first cars to have it), if it does there may be information in the system that would indicate the source of the problem. The biggest problem with diagnosis of modern systems is that many techs think that if there are no DTCs set, that there is no problem. The newest computers in cars keep a lot of information that is helpful, but not considered defective, so no DTCs are set.
    When you guys say the Intrigue has more room than the Aurora, are you comparing 2001 Auroras or the classic? With the exception of headroom, the 95-99 Aurora has more interior space than the Intrigue does. Not alot, but noticeable.
  • 14151415 Member Posts: 249
    I think they killed the Aurora by offering cut-rate power of a V-6 that is std on cars selling for $8,000 less. The upcharge for the V-8 is $4,000 for an additional 35hp.

Interior dims for the new one is very close to the old design; however the whole car has been stubbed up and squashed.

It used to be a logical step down from a Deville but the redesign has made it bland and compact.. The 3.5 exhaust system on the A has to rob about 15hp just to get it through all the pipes.

I have a 3.5 Intrigue and a Northstar Caddy so I am into these multi-valve, high reving, oil-burning engines that are labeled some of the world's best.

Several posters on this forum are also Intriguers and Caddy owners so they have been exposed to my ranting. The Aurora in its lifetime has never been overpowered for the 250hp is far from a barn burner.

My assumption is that the V-6 A was to replace the fallen 88 model; but the small size killed that idea..

I imagine the Classic is probably a relatively reasonable value after the new one came along..
    I have the 3.5, and it is the better choice. The extra 35 hp from the V8 is not worth the extra money. If all you want is to say that you have an american V8, then you should go for a real one such as the 4.6L Northstar. I think it was a logical step for Oldsmobile. It increased the appeal to women, who care about the bottom line more than the power. As for the styling, I actually like it better than the russian cruise missle of the classic. The reason Olds got cut is because they couldn't change their stodgy image of and old mans car, to an import fighter. Look at the first 3 letters, OLDsmobile! It's too bad, because they had one of the best model lineups at GM.~ A.R.
  • doczeusdoczeus Member Posts: 1
    I need help from the real experts, aurora owners!
    I own a 1997, with 58,000 miles. I started to have a problem with starting the car after it sits more than an hour, it cranks, and cranks, and finally starts, sometimes with a buff!, sound. But if you start it within the hour it starts right up. The dealer said bad gas, and replaced my fuel filter, did not solve problem, someone mentioned a fuel regulator.
    Can anyone thing of something else for them to check?
    Thanks for your continued help!, fellow Aurora Owners.
    It's quite true. None of the other entry-lux sedans have V8's. Bmw- I6, MB- V6, Acura- V6, etc... The V8 Aurora plays, although at the low end of the spectrum, with the BMW 5, MB E, Lexus GS. Olds wanted to broaden the appeal of the Aurora, so they gave it a V6. Same thing Lincoln did with the LS. Except that is a winning formula. I'm still glad I got the Aurora- big inside, while still have a sporting nature. Can't say that about a 3-Series or C320~ A.R.
    The April issue of C&D has several interesting editorials and one by Csaba Csere has some very good points. He mentions that "perception lags behind reality 5 to 10 years" and went on to explain that this is why Olds' rather mundane products in the 1980s still sold well and why their excellent products of today have received a lukewarm reception. Many people still think Cutlass Ciera, Achieva, Eighty-Eight, and Ninety-Eight when they think Oldsmobile. Had GM given them 3-5 more years, continued to roll out excellent product and improve current models, and actually advertise their cars, I think Olds would have made a comeback. They really blew it in 95 with the original Aurora as they had an excellent "stodgy image buster" car and didn't even tell the world it was an Oldsmobile. And they didn't follow it up with more affordible models in the new mold for 3-4 more years. So a young guy likes the new 1995 Aurora but can't swing $32K, well if he wants an Oldsmobile he's left looking at an Achieva, Ciera, or aging Cutlass Supreme. The Intrigue and Alero both should have came in the years immediately following the original Aurora, not 3 years later.
  • ladybug10ladybug10 Member Posts: 1
    I have talked with other 97 Aurora owners so I know I am not the only one out there with problems. Life with my car hasn't been the greatest. Yes, it is a smooth riding comfortable car and I have enjoyed the ride - my problems started around 40,000 miles and they just keep coming - I plan to trade sometime this month and I don't plan to buy another Aurora. First Problem started with a sensor that caused a clicking sound and my headlights to flash when the car was not running - dealer replaced battery cause it died - that wasn't the problem - some kind of sensor/electrical - whatever - next problem - A/C repaired one year ago (all of the above was covered by warr.) - Less than a year later - water pump gone - not covered - A/C again not covered - Too make a long story shorter - After 50,000 miles watch out - without an extended warranty you are in for some high repair bills - I have spent over $1400 since December.
    vcjumper on the intrigue thread just posted the link to ward's automotive. It states that the 3.5L
    is dead after 2002. There will be no intrigue's or aurora's for 2003. The 3.5L will not be used in any other GM products, it is history.
    GM has lost their mind.
  • engtech1engtech1 Member Posts: 1
    test drove a 95 Aurora today and was impressed somewhat with its bell and whistles as it has everything. I have read many of the posts here but would like to hear good and bad about a 95 and if it was a trial year full of bugs or a good sound idea from the start. Other than being sure to get an extended warranty is there anything else I should know about this vechical before parting with my cash? It has the 4.0L v8 and leather heated seats. Maybe they all have these. Any help, warning, or praise would be appreciated.
    I think that is wrong, because I have heard that the 3.5L will be used in the next Catera, or the CTS. GM is not that stupid to dump such a great engine.~ A.R.
    I understand that the CTS will have a 3.2L version of its current engine.
    GM is stupid, just look at what they have done in the last couple of years.
    They have a guy running the place who's specialty is marketing detergent.
    All 95-99 Auroras have the 4.0 liter V8 while heated seats were optional, but alot of them have them. My father has a 95 Aurora which now has about 78K on it and he has been very pleased with it. He bought it used in 1997 and did get an extended warranty as part of the deal and that expired at 75K so now he's on his own. Has not had too many problems with the car. Nothing major as far as the mechanicals of the car. The biggest problem was about 2 years ago the A/C evaporator coil had to be replaced as it was leaking and the entire dash had to be taken apart. This was covered under the extended warranty and he had a loaner for several days while this was repaired. Other than that, just a few small things. Car still feels very solid and runs very well. If buying, just be aware that it does require premium unleaded and it you do alot of stop and go driving, mileage isn't the greatest.
    IMHO
    1997 is the year to avoid. Out of all of the years, it appears to be the year that generates the most complaints. 1995 would be next. I have a 95 and have not had any major problems with it. I would check the seals on the front and rear windsheilds, the A/c and the radio. I would also have the gm dealer run the reapair history on the car (assuming it was serviced at a GM facility). After that, take the plung. Just be sure that you are well under $10,000 in price. I stand by my market survey for N.J that the price shouls be around $7,500.

If you can get a 1998, got for it. In N.J one was advertised for $15,995 with 25K on it.
    The Intrigue has more FRONT headroom, hip room, and shoulder room than the Classic -- according to carpoint.msn.com. My recollection is that the new Aurora has a smaller exterior but more interior space.

Aurora --1998

Headroom - front (in.) 38.4 Headroom - rear (in.) 36.9 Legroom - front (in.) 42.6 Legroom - rear (in.) 38.4 Hip Room - front (in.) 55.1 Hip Room - rear (in.) 56.2 Shoulder Room - front (in.) 57.9 Shoulder Room - rear (in.) 57.9

Intrigue --2000

Headroom - front (in.) 39.3 Headroom - rear (in.) 37.4 Legroom - front (in.) 42.4 Legroom - rear (in.) 36.9 Hip Room - front (in.) 55.6 Hip Room - rear (in.) 54.8 Shoulder Room - front (in.) 58 Shoulder Room - rear (in.) 57.
  • wingnut396wingnut396 Member Posts: 50
    Been a while since I posted.... but I finally have got my Aurora in.

For those not familiar, I bought it for 15,490 on EBAY, with about 35K.

Ebay Item 553029320

In the 30 minutes I have spend driving it this morning, I am thrilled. Great handling, accelaration and feel. I had looked a buying a 300M or an Intrepied RT, buy am glad I got this instead. The car feels solid, effortlessly going up to 90mph. Didn't even notice.

As far as my EBAY car buying experience, here goes...

Won the bid on February 5th. Unfortunaltely, had to go down to Mexico City for work for about week the next day.

Got back to the States, sold my other cars and started to fisish the financing fun. Having my credit union figure out how to do a sale over EBAY and out of state. Wanted the car local, but it can't be until I pay for it.... that was fun.

Two holidays in the mix (President's Day and Mardi Gras--the New Orleans Fed shuts down--). Finally got the money wired to the seller.

Have to wait about 1 agonizing week for the shipping of the car. Shipped by DAS (EBAY's recommened) from Vegas to Louisiana. DAS hedged as said it could be up to 2 weeks :(

Anyway, after about a month from winning the bid, I have my car. This could have been much easier had I the cash on hand and more free time. But for paying trade in value on a car, I can handle the inconvience. If I had purchased the car locally, I figure I would have spent about 3 to 4.5K more on the car.

Kudos to Mickey at www.xplumptrucks.com for his great service (and price).

Happy Driving!
    Brett
    Wingnut -- great price on the Aurora. They are advertising many in Dallas ('98s) in the 17.9k range - with low miles (mid-20s to mid30s). I figure I can negotiate for less than that amount. I am shooting for 15.5-16.5k. I don't think one should pay much over 15k for a '98 Aurora. It's a great car, but there isn't much demand for it (stupid public's loss). With low demand, buyers should be able to get great deals.
  • joeoldsjoeolds Member Posts: 39
    The princess needs new slippers-any suggestions?
    One of the original Goodyears is starting to come apart. Not good, considering they don't even have 22K on them yet. Also since I occasionally have been known to run her up to 90-100 mph, I don't feel very safe. I think I will probably buy some Michellins, but so far I've found the 235/60/16 is kind of an unusual tire size, and quite pricey. <<<<<IS THAT A WORD, and if so is it spelled correctly?
    Hello Joe:

You have discovered (i.e. awakened to) one of the joy's of being an Auroian. The tires are expensive!
    A few suggestions, I have the toyo tires on my 95. Very good at cornering (they are basically Z rated tires. The next recommendation is Continel tires. These tires are H rated and are the same tires on the BMW and Mercedes. You can also goto tiresdirect.com and search for the tire manufacturesr by size. Michelins are OEM for the Autobahn package.

Hope this helps.
    I guess you know you are looking at replacing all four tires. I have been tols on many occassions that you should never just replace one tire. Especially if you "pull a Zinc" with the car every now and then. You will need the good tires if you are going pass 2 o'clock on the speedometer.
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    Michelin Pilot XGT H4s are $109 each at http://www.tirerack.com you can search by car or size. There are quite a few selections in the 235/60/16 size, some VERY pricey.
    Bret -congrats to you for having that beautiful Aurora. Glad to hear it's as good as it looked. You do wonder about those things. Hope your ownership experience is a joy.

Ken
  • wingnut396wingnut396 Member Posts: 50
    Henry posted that Michelins were OEM on this package, which is what my car is equiped with.

How can I tell by VIN or what not if my car is has the Autobahn package?

BTW, after 2 days, still love the car.

Brett
  • 14151415 Member Posts: 249
    My 01 4.0 loaded Aurora is on its way, and I told the dealer to sell it. Stickers at 38K+.

Diamond white, sunroof, chrome wheels, and gold whatever.

Found a 99 Aurora w/16k miles ,burgundy ext. w/biege int. and chrome wheels. Pontiac dealer has it; picked it up at a GM auction and asking 19,995. Balance of the 50k warranty..I haven't seen the car; this is a fussy dealer and tough to beat-up.
    great deal, so long as it isn't a lemon.
  • joeoldsjoeolds Member Posts: 39
    Yes Henry, I plan to replace all 4 of the goddess's slippers. I will however have 3 half wore out Goodyears that will probably end up in the classifieds. I can buy the Michelins Hardesty mentioned locally for $118 per tire, possibly less from a guy my company buys alot of truck tires from. Not sure if I would save much once you throw in shipping. Thanks Again
    1415- why are you taking a used Aurora over a new one? Just asking~ A.R.
  • tlc125tlc125 Member Posts: 14
    I'm really saddened by the death of Olds. But after my recent experience I'm beginning to understand why its happened. Even though I come from a long line of GM buyers (every car I've ever owned was an Olds or Chevy, my dad was a Cadillac guy and my uncle is Mr. Olds!)I had decided that I wanted to buy a Maxima this time around. I just felt that this time I wanted to not deal with constantly having to bring it back to the dealer for little annoyances that are so common to the General.

Just when I was about to buy, a friend of mine told me about a great deal he got leasing an '01 Aurora. He had been paying $352 a month for his '99 Intrigue, but when his lease was up, he stepped up to an Aurora 3.5 for only $1,800 down and $351 a month! This sounded pretty good to me, and I was considering it, thinking now was probably not the best time to buy an Olds (I'm thinking low resale real soon), but for a really good price I could drive a luxury vehicle for maybe the only time in my life at those terms.
    Then the same dealer ran an ad in the local paper advertising Aurora's for $2001 down (cute) and $339 a month, or for $26K to buy. My friend told the dealer that I was very interested, and he said "Tell your friend to come down, I'll work with him". I thought this was too good to be true, and of course it turned out that it was.

When I got to the dealer, the price he gave me on a lease for a 3.5 was $4700 down, and $386 a month for a car that would be coming in in a few weeks. He was basing this off an MSRP of 33K and would not budge an inch. Seems my friend got the $1500 loyalty certificate and a $1,000 rebate on the lease that they were running in January. I said, "what about the great prices in the ad". He says, "well that includes the loyalty rebate, which you don't have" Well, how about 26K to buy? "That price includes the loyalty certificate and a $2000 rebate that GM is offering on a purchase, but no rebate for a lease". Of course none of this was mentioned in the ad, not even in the finest of print. When I told him I was willing to do a deal that day, but there was no way I'd do a deal like that, he let me walk. He didn't even try to talk me into the less expensive Intrigue. I guess supply is really exceeding demand right now because he had no 3.5's on the lot and the 4.0 that was there had 3 or 4 other people checking it out and kicking the tires. The other Olds/Chevy dealer nearby also only has a Bronze mist 4.0 in the showroom and nothing on the lot ( a couple of '02 Bravada's though).

I was so angry and frustrated that I drove down the street and bought a Maxima SE the same day. Great car, drives great and I'm very happy with it (so's the wife). They bent over backwards there to sell me the car. The difference in the attitude of the two dealerships was like was like night and day.

As much as I love the Max, I was still a little disappointed about the Aurora until I read Bedard's column in the April Car and Driver. Then it hit home, GM -- arrogant until the end.

I know you guys love your Auroras and I don't want to demean them in any way. I think that both the new gen and the classic are great looking rides. I wish you all the best and nothing but trouble free driving in them. It just didn't work out for me. C'est la Vie.