Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• stnelstnel Member Posts: 338
    With all the talk about Impalas not overheating in hot weather, I feel much more confident about buying one. If I get caught in a bad traffic jam on the interstate and am between exits where it's likely to be awhile before getting off, I just turn off the AC. I used to turn on heater as well to get a fan going. Then I found out I should have been turning on the defroster. Or maybe I have it reversed. I later had a manual fan installed in the car so didn't have to turn heat on any more. Now that's hot, though, in 96-98 degree weather (with much higher heat index) in a traffic jam with no AC on and the heater on! When I buy a new car in May, I hopefully won't have this problem. I'll be glad to get rid of this car that I have. I went to a Chevy dealer Friday and when he saw I wasn't going to buy right away he more or less wrote me off. I saw a few colors though.
  • gusman2gusman2 Member Posts: 9
    Actually, I jumped too soon... After I wrote that, I went to MSNBC's site and saw the news.

Thanks!!
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    Where did you order the K&N Air Filter From? Email me the info if you want... I need one too!! LMK Don
  • cookie00cookie00 Member Posts: 29
    I don't think we have any Chicagoians (sp????) on this board.. What's it like in Cinci?
    Teo, thanks for the explanation. It sure worked great! I figured the sound I heard was right on. It doesn't bother me if it makes a noise, as long as it's working!
    Looks like we could get more snow later in the week. I'll get more chances to make use of it I'm sure!
    Just C-O-L-D!!!!!!!!! Just Rained all day yesterday and was Very WINDY..then the temp dropped into the high teens.. Supposed to SNOW about 10 am tommorow & all Day.....I think what is coming is the Snow Storm that is over Texas right now??! Don
    I ordered one from them...........$33.36 Shipped! Don
  • lrcobralrcobra Member Posts: 82
    Don I ordered mine from Advance auto. It will be here in the morning, Same price. They had no idea what the number was and did not even have a listing for 2000 models. He told me to get him a number and he would get it next day and he is.
    Cobra
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    news of the weather in Arizona... there is none!
    That's why I love it here, high was 65 today, that is a cold snap. Sorry for all your snow around the country folks.
  • kissfan1969kissfan1969 Member Posts: 20
    The Monte Carlo does have a folding armrest with cupholders in the back seat.It also has the split folding rear seat like the Impala does.I do wish it had "breakaway" mirrors.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    I live outside the main Metro Phoenix area. If its 45 at night in town its 8-10 degrees colder at our house.

Let me take this time to warn those thinking of moving to AZ.

Traffic is massive, pollution is high, taxes are too. Wages are somewhat lower since many ppl move here for the weather.

License plates and insurance for cars is much higher than many states. I often read in the newspaper about recent arrivals asking why their former states $30.00 auto plates are now $330.00 in AZ.

just my 11 cent comment ((-;

I've got mud flaps ordered for our LS ....... seems Midway had to bring them in from outta state.
  • mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    How much is your sales tax where you live?, here in Mobile ,Al it is 9% on every dollar.thanks-----------mattmcdill
  • chevyrulzchevyrulz Member Posts: 10
    330dollars? Try right at 500 bucks here in Mississippi,and the roads are some of the worst in the country!
    I am from mississippi , and they have the WORST ROADS I HAVE EVER SEEN, and the state capital , has the worst,bumpiest , broken up city streets i have ever seen .thanks----------mattmcdill
  • jdfixitjdfixit Member Posts: 2
    The plates for my 01 Impala LS were 500 dollars here in Colorado. In North Dakota where I grew up, they would have been less than 100 Dollars.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    Where near $500.00 too.

the $330.00 was only an example of what ppl complain about, not the actuall cost of new car plates here in AZ.

AZ still uses a percentage deal of per $100.00 value for plate costs. They claim to be lowering that percent amount.

Sales tax varies around here. In Maricopa County it's the highest in the sate since we are paying for so many things. Such as a new 340 millon dollar statium for a *loser football team* the AZ Cardinals.

There is so much construction every where the roads are either torn up or the road way is littered with crap from construction trucks.

Windsheilds don't last long here. Our LS got it's first replacement after we owned it for 2.5 months.

Some ppl claim property taxes are higher here too. That I do not know about since I am an Arizona native......actually born here.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    where our state motto is "The way life should be" and every license plate says "Vacationland" (Ayuh!)

Our summers are AWESOME (both weeks!)

Those of us who live along the NH border do our shopping there with NO sales tax and pay the far lower Maine real estate taxes than neighboring NH or Mass. We do have excise tax on vehicle registrations and pay ME sales tax 5.5% on purchase of vehicles. I forget the income tax rate - but it is very reasonable and the calculation allows you much of the federal deductions and other offsets.

The winters are cold though! It will be April before it gets decent again.

Ken
  • caltcalt Member Posts: 2
    Yes, there are Chicagoans lurking on the board. I haven't contributed for quite a long time. Been really busy.

We got over a foot of snow on Monday. The Impala was flawless. I had no problems getting anywhere. The ABS and traction control really make getting around in snow easy. It was -5 last night. The heated seats were really great.

I have (had) the infamous cradle problem. I took it in to the dealer and they installed a shim kit. I think someone suggested that this wasn't a good solution but I figured I'd give it a try. So far, so good. Time will tell.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    When winter starts in Maine? When it ends? Is it a good place to ski (cross-country)? Or simply to walk in snow, off-roads? To sledge for kids?

We are missing the real winter somewhat since immigrating from Russia. There are only two seasons in CT: a summer May to October, and a fall all other months.

Just looked for the driving directions. Augusta, ME is somewhat far from us, 300 miles driving. But the ME/NH border is not so far, less than 200 miles.

We were in Newburyport, MA couple of times: this is a 2.5 hour drive, if using the I-495 to avoid the Boston traffic. Looks as it would take 3-3.5 hours to the Southern ME.
    Minus 15..? I think this entire state would shrivel up and die. Hanging out in 30-40 is bad enough...

In Oregon we only pay $50 (or is it $60 now..) to licence and DEQ our vehicles. In neighboring Wash, they "used" to charge a per-vehicle registration based on the value of your car. This was totally weird and dinging for new car owners who could pay up to $800 to licence a vehicle, but could pay as little as $80 for an old clunker. Which vehicle is hardest on roads? BOTH! so why you have to pay more because you've purchased something new is beyond me... and beyond many others... they voted it out last year. Our property taxes are high, and we have state income tax but NO SALES TAXES... one of the few left without it... I believe Portland just won Money Magazine's top places to live 2000. Cool....

You can't bet it if you're looking for a cup of coffee.. heheheh or a beer....
  • jeffbogjeffbog Member Posts: 63
    Another Chicago area resident checking in. The snow started overnight Sunday. Most businesses let out early, schools closed, etc. The Impala worked great. Never had a car before this with traction control and I'll never buy one again without it. I thought it tracked better that my old 4X4 Blazer. This morning it was -5. I was lucky enough to pick a car off the lot that had the $20 factory block heater. Plugged it in last night (it sits outside) and it started like a 50 degree day. Had some heat in less than 5 minutes of driving. 15,000 miles, no problems. Gotta love this car.
    Everything I asked in #130 is on Internet:

http://www.mnsc.com/xcski.htm

Sorry for bothering you.
    Glad to hear from you. I've seen your posts in various places - always informative and interesting. Do you have an Impala? LS or base? I've tried them out and can't wait to get one - prefer it to the Regal LS and Maxima GLE that I also consider.

As for Maine - I live just accross border from Portsmouth N.H. in Kittery, Me. - the southernmost town in the state. Our summers are wonderful - coastal breezes keep it comfortable. Winter here is often bare until January, then snow covers ground till mid Feb. We have excellent cross country skiiing and sledding on local golf courses and parks after a good snow fall - but not so many groomed trails nearby.

It takes 2.5 hours to get to Hartford from here - I'm not sure where in CT you live. I pass through your state every month en route to PA for business, traveling Rt 84 in my old Grand Marquis.

The site you referenced has great skiing places. The ones I am familiar with are Bethel Inn - have stayed and skied there - very elegant inn and restaurant and good trails - you'd like it - and Sunday River resort - both are in Bethel which is about 2 hours north of me. Also Smiling Hill Farm would be excellent if your kids are young. All ours love the animals there but we have not skied it - did not realize they have trials there. It is about 1 hour north of me - just above Portland. Sugarloaf resort is excellent - but 3 hours north of me.

NH mountains would appeal to you. Again - 2 hours north - straight up Rt 93. Check out the Loon Mountain area in Lincoln where we have a time share - a great place. Also Bretton Woods which has arguably the best cross-country trails in the state as well as great downhill trails.

Winter in these areas lasts from Thanksgiving - February with spring skiing conditions (spotty) in March.

Hope you get some good skiing in this year.

Ken
    Thank you so much for the info!

We live near New Haven, CT. About 40-45 minutes drive from Hartford, but a bit less to I-84, 30 minutes or so.

Concerning the car: we have a Buick Regal, not Impala. Bought it in October. Started planning to replace car last winter, and in early spring already decided our new car will be an Impala LS. Then test-drove a Regal GS and were sold on its power.
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    I agree with you on the roads in Mississippi being very poor. The state is paying for new four laning road construction. I guess they figure we can make do with what we have until the new construction has been completed.

Mississippi is a good place to live and we have lots of famous people who are from here. Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Elvis Presley, Trent Lott, Oprah Winfrey, Leann Rimes, just to name a few. In fact when I was 17 years old one summer, I worked for Mississippi State University campus landscape and worked with Jerry Rice's brother. A few years ago, I got the opportunity to meet Jerry Rice in person. He is a very kind player. He autographed anything I wanted to have autographed. I had a jersey, two magazines, and several football cards for him to autograph. He gets a very bad rap from the sports media as being selfish, but I totally disagree.

As far as tag prices go, I think I paid around $300 dollars for my tag for my 2001 Impala LS. May all have a great day!
  • toon1toon1 Member Posts: 19
    I'm not an Impala owner but had a 2000MC and you guys have such an active board, I like to check out what's going on here.
    In VA, tags are $26 + depending on personalization, etc. This is a yearly fee. We have 4.5% sales tax and personal property taxes at 4%. Our governor ran on the platform of getting rid of PPT. His plan was to phase it out over 5 years. We are into our third year and it has decreased by 50%; however, there is no money now, so it will stay at 50% next year.
    You guys paying $300 - $500; that is a ONE TIME FEE, right???
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Current Temperature 85F...sunny skies and mild breeze...it is actually tough to "feel" the Christmas season down here...its summer time all over again.

Am I the only Floridian in this board?
  • frankkfrankk Member Posts: 35
    We paid $398 for our 2000 (Colorado).

Toon1 - These are not one time fees. They decrease each year with the decrease in the cars value.

In Colorado we pay a flat 4.65% income tax (on the net income on our federal returns), about 1% real estate tax. Sales tax varies by locality. In our town we pay 6.65%.

There is a state law in Colorado that limit the amount of taxes that the state can keep and spend. The limit increase is tied to inflation and population every year. We have had a surplus for the past few years, and the state rebates the surplus back at filing time. They lowered that tax rate from 5% to 4.65%, but there is still a surplus.

I know that on the east coast property taxes can be very high, as can income taxes. They get our money one way or another. It seems that what we did in Colorado is the only way to stop the tax monster.
    Got a big house Teo? If we promise to bring Impala aftermarket items as presents can we come camp out for a while? LOL

Ken
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Hey why not!...problem is we Live in a 2 bedroom condo...I guess some of you can sleep in the spacious Impala trunk..lol ;-)
  • platourplatour Member Posts: 252
    What is it? What are the symptoms and what is the dealer's remedy?
  • peterjpeterj Member Posts: 8
    How could you write a list of famous Mississippi natives, especially football players, without mentioning BRETT FAVRE?!

The pride of Kiln, Mississippi and the whole state of Wisconsin!

Just giving you a hard time 'bro! Back to cars.

Regards,
    Peter J
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    Mich tags run $109.00 for my LS. $129.00 for my 1993 Fleetwood. Sales tax is 6%. Mich added .05 cents / gallon tax about 3 years ago to fix the world worst roads. Construction traffic has been constant. Our Twp. voted 1/2 mil for local roads 4 years ago. Most places I travel in N.W. lower Mich.are now very smooth. Detroit area is still a mess but improving. We have snow, snow, snow. 62.5 inches so far this season in Antrim County.Forcast is for 4 to 6 tonite. My LS seems to actually like it. I don't.The salt & sand put on the roads really makes a black LS look puke! I have noticed a substantial build up of slush in the rear wheelhouse area. I wonder if the 2001 rear wheel house plastic shield reduces this build up. Anyone out there with a 2001 that drives in the northern slop? Next week I'm leaving for 3 months in Florida. Going to wash up the Impala and tuck it away for the winter. Enjoy the ride.
    Well i only live 45 minutes from florida , its about 68 degrees here in mobile , AL . thanks---------------mattmcdill
    Got my K&N today and put it in tonight. I just had to put the little sticker on the rear window behind the door post. I will find out in the next few days whether it helped the fuel or not. The old filter was ready to be changed, It was pretty dirty. Now I have a lifetime filter. I bought the recharge kit with it. Got a 15% discount and only had 43.00 in tax and all.
    Cobra
    Teo
    If I don't get back to work before long I am going to come and see you. Care to go deep sea fishing. That's about all I will want to do. Maybe cruise the beachfront for babes. HAHA
    Cobra
    Ive been running a K&N for 15,000 miles in my truck , and so far it is showing no signs of being dirty ,also in return , giving me 1 to 2 mpg better , and i can feel a little bit more pickup , oh yeah just for the history , GORE JUST CONCEDED . thanks----------mattmcdill
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    we have to pay one time 8% about $1700 plus 24 a year. In ny it goes by weight. Your 1969 4500 lb Impala would be more than a new rice burning $30,000 toyota. It should be by value, not the antiquated weight system.
    I am new to the Forum and I am sure this has been addressed before. But, here we go. My 2001 Impala is new; brand-spanking new with 20 miles on the odometer. The terrible snow conditions lately have left it in the driveway. (I have a Saturn SL2 to do the grunt work.) I was thinking that if the snow clears this weekend, I would go to the local Lube Shop and have 5W-30 Mobil-1 synthetic oil put in. Is this a good move? Expense is not a problem and I want break-in to be optimal under 10F degree conditions. I drive less than 10,000 miles per year. Thanks!
    I ordered them today: 12496349 (front) and 12496350 (rear). Are they easy to install? Do the wheels have to come off? Are there holes to be drilled? If yes, do they come with stainless steel screws? Is it better to let the dealer do this?
    I don't like this new townhall setup , i like the old way it looked .thanks----------mattmcdill
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    They are easy to install if you're not all thumbs. Just turn your wheels in front to make it easier to drill the holes you will need. There are some holes already pre drilled but you do have to drilla couple of others. The rear is a little tougher unless you take off your wheels (remember to reset you tire monitor if you do that so as not to trip it) or you can jack it up unless you have an angle drill which will make it much easier. This would be expensive I'm sure to have the dealer do it. Anyone handy can handle it.
  • Roger JermynRoger Jermyn Member Posts: 1
    Hey
    I dont know if this post will show up twice since a previous post of mine never made it to the list.

Anyway...I wanted to chime in my 2 cents on the 3.4 vs 3.8 acceleration times. I really tend to believe the Car and Driver times as pretty close to accurate even if they are estimated times. I personally own a Jeep Wrangler with a 2.5 liter and that has actual 0-60 times of 10.5 sec s and I am positive that my base Impala with the "little" engine blows it away. Plus if you take a simple comparison of the PontiaK Aztek (which has the same engine..I have the Dealer brochure right next to me..dont ask me why though lol)
    Edmunds has the 0-60 time of 9.2 ticks. Keep in mind that the Aztek weighs almost 400 lbs more than the base Impala, plus it is a much higher profile vehicle which would have a greater coefficient of drag than the Impala, which I believe is a .31 CoD.
    Granted the performance ratings that Edmunds lists regarding the Azteks engine gives it 5 more horse and torque but I believe that the weight and aerodynamic difference more than offsets that.
    Even all things being equal qithout accounting for any of the above mentioned differences the 9.2 is faster than the 10.1 that was quoted in the forum earlier.

Now for my comments regarding synthetic oil vs dino oil

I have found that in my vehicles using synthetic actually pays for itself and then some due to the savings I achieve in gas mileage.
    My Jeep consistently achived 17 mpg for 2 years before I switched to synthetic. Immediately I noticed a jump to 20 mpg. My driving style has not changed.
    My cruising range on a tank went from 250 to 300 miles. Doing the math I realized a gain of 50 miles per tank(and week) which equates to 2.5 gallons of gas. At last fill up I paid 1.60 a gallon which means I save 4 dollars a week by using the synthetic. With my Jeep I actually make money because I change the oil every 3-4 months and after one month I recoup the total cost of the synthetic oil, not just the differnece between the synthetic and conventional. I have seen a net gain of 2 mpg in my Impala as well. I wont bore you all with the math from that lol. This doesnt even factor in the reduced wear on engine parts during start up, the reduced sludge build up, and the horsepower gains . I have seen figures espousing the horsepower gains from using synthetic to be anywhere from 3-10 net HP. I think 10 is pushing it IMHO however.
    hopefully this makes sense and makes it to the posting list.
    Peace
  • ChevyTech00ChevyTech00 Member Posts: 1
    Hey
    I dont know if this post will show up twice since a previous post of mine never made it to the list.

Anyway...I wanted to chime in my 2 cents on the 3.4 vs 3.8 acceleration times. I really tend to believe the Car and Driver times as pretty close to accurate even if they are estimated times. I personally own a Jeep Wrangler with a 2.5 liter and that has actual 0-60 times of 10.5 sec s and I am positive that my base Impala with the "little" engine blows it away. Plus if you take a simple comparison of the PontiaK Aztek (which has the same engine..I have the Dealer brochure right next to me..dont ask me why though lol)
    Edmunds has the 0-60 time of 9.2 ticks. Keep in mind that the Aztek weighs almost 400 lbs more than the base Impala, plus it is a much higher profile vehicle which would have a greater coefficient of drag than the Impala, which I believe is a .31 CoD.
    Granted the performance ratings that Edmunds lists regarding the Azteks engine gives it 5 more horse and torque but I believe that the weight and aerodynamic difference more than offsets that.
    Even all things being equal qithout accounting for any of the above mentioned differences the 9.2 is faster than the 10.1 that was quoted in the forum earlier.

Now for my comments regarding synthetic oil vs dino oil

I have found that in my vehicles using synthetic actually pays for itself and then some due to the savings I achieve in gas mileage.
    My Jeep consistently achived 17 mpg for 2 years before I switched to synthetic. Immediately I noticed a jump to 20 mpg. My driving style has not changed.
    My cruising range on a tank went from 250 to 300 miles. Doing the math I realized a gain of 50 miles per tank(and week) which equates to 2.5 gallons of gas. At last fill up I paid 1.60 a gallon which means I save 4 dollars a week by using the synthetic. With my Jeep I actually make money because I change the oil every 3-4 months and after one month I recoup the total cost of the synthetic oil, not just the differnece between the synthetic and conventional. I have seen a net gain of 2 mpg in my Impala as well. I wont bore you all with the math from that lol. This doesnt even factor in the reduced wear on engine parts during start up, the reduced sludge build up, and the horsepower gains . I have seen figures espousing the horsepower gains from using synthetic to be anywhere from 3-10 net HP. I think 10 is pushing it IMHO however.
    hopefully this makes sense and makes it to the posting list.
    Peace
    Matt, I have it saved to favorites and it keeps coming up to sedans, then I have to go through the site instead.
    Cobra
    I originally posted 10.1 for the 3.4's 0 to 60 , and these are factory , General Motors acceleration times , i have them in a dealer only book , until car and driver does a full blow test on the 3.4 this will be the Word .
    I originally posted 10.1 for the 3.4's 0 to 60 , and these are factory , General Motors acceleration times , i have them in a dealer only book on the impala , until car and driver does a full blown test on the 3.4 this will be the Word .
  • heavenboundheavenbound Member Posts: 39
    I agree with you, I liked the old setup better. But I guess we better get used to this new one. Go Impala!
    Thanks man. thanks-------------mattmcdill