Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
Welcome to the continuation of the Chevrolet
Impala X
topic. Those of you joining us from that
topic are welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    About time...
  • lrcobralrcobra Member Posts: 82
    Talked to Matt tonight on the phone. He is having trouble with his pc. Something is wrong with his monitor. So he asked me to tell you all that his teacher came up with another one in class. He said that you could special order an Impala with a V8 in it. Matt wanted to tell him really bad how wrong he was but kept his mouth shut so as not to lose any points with the teach. His teacher is adamant that all GM cars are made in Mexico and that the GM people are trying to cover it up with the vin numbers and all the stickers on the cars that say they are made in Canada. Just passing this along. Some teachers should do their research before becoming Great Buffoons in their classrooms.
    Cobra
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    what other wrong ideas this teacher has and is insisting are true.

The whole point of life long learning is that at whatever age you find yourself, you can always learn something from someone older or younger than yourself and must not be adamant that you are the living personification of absolute truth.

Ken
    That's one of my personal favorites. Would love to get that with the parchment leather interior.

I am driving that old 1990 Cr Vic (actually the Gr Marquis sister) now - with 140K on it. Every morning I look out the window to the driveway to see if perchance it may have morphed overnight into a new Impala LS (alas - it's a stubborn beast!) Hope to replace it next yr with what you are driving today. Guess I won't wait for you to get done with yours and then buy it used - but I will look for lease returns mid next yr and see what's avaiable.

Enjoy your LS ride. Glad you're getting at least one decent perk for the risks you take.

Ken
  • cookie00cookie00 Member Posts: 29
    This morning I dug out my can of spray static killer and did the inside of my coat (it's fleece), my mittens (also fleece) and THE FRONT SEAT OF MY IMPALA!!! And it WORKED. So far today I've had no zaps. It's cold here (for us anyway, 30-42 degrees for the day) and VERY dry, so the static charge is killer. I can feel the stings on my hands all day long.

If this really works all day, I'll let you know.
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    I am close to changing the oil in my Impala LS and I was wondering what brands of oil are everyone using and is it synthetic?

I took a trip last week on Friday to a Mississippi state high school championship game and I averaged 28.3 mpg. This car is great. When I was driving at 70 mph on the interstate, the car handles great and you can hardly tell that you are traveling that fast. Thanks for all responses to the oil question. May all have a terrific day!
  • jmichel62jmichel62 Member Posts: 1
    Do yourself a favor and use nothing but Mobile 1 Synthetic and AC Delco Filter. This is what comes in the Corvette from the factory.
    Just turned 2600 miles on my 2001 LS. Running great.
    I have been using nothing but Dino oil for the last 12,000 miles....my question is this...is it too late for me too change to Mobil 1 Synthetic? Are there any benefits in doing so at this point?

I have checked my oil level every 3000 miles and the 3800 doesn't use a drop of oil!
  • cabellocabello Member Posts: 101
    Hello, Everybody just wanting to let you know that I have reached the 27,000 mile mark with no major problems. Does anybody know where I can buy a K&N filter cheaper than Autozone? They have them @ $39.00. My Impals uses exactly 1/2 quart of oil every 3000 miles! Must be the way I drive, A lot of highway miles @ 70-75 miles an hour...
  • cabellocabello Member Posts: 101
    By the way here is my page, so you can see my Impala Pictures. http://angelfire.com/tx/bigodaman/index.html
  • frankencatfrankencat Member Posts: 14
    Welcome to the new place everybody!

I am just turning 21k on my LS and am planning on an oil change. Gonna use Mobil 1 Synth and AC Delco filter. Also going to the K&N filter and possibly changing the muffler to a Flowmaster 50.

BTW...The dealer got the part in and the new steering shaft goes in tomorrow am. It's gotten a little bit worse over the last 2 weeks so it will be great to have that fixed.

peace.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Oil, dyno and synthethic, is/was discussed on the following boards:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?&f=0&c=Maintenance&t=543&q=*

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?&f=0&c=Maintenance&t=851&q=*

In short:

Syntetic oil is better than the dyno one, but also more expensive, and not so easy available at the quick lube next door.

Synthetic oil is necessary in cold regions, like some parts of Canada, Alaska, etc. Where the temperature often falls below -20F or so (-30C).

There is no sense to use the expensive synthetic if you drive a lot through dusty places, like construction sites or some deserts. Then you have to change oil very often anyway, as often as every 1-1.5k miles, simply to remove the dust from engine.

About the same with new engine: it produces metallic and silicon particles itself during break-in period. A bit more friction with dyno oil does not hurt and probably even helps to break-in. A lot of people are suggesting switching to synthetic not earlier than at 5k to 10k miles or so. Except with some sporty engines, factory-filled with synthetic.

Some very old engines can start leaking oil after switching to synthetic. It depends on the state of its seals, gaskets, etc. Not all engines, but this happens often after 100k miles or so. But not problem with switching at 50k or so. Personally, I started using synthetic with my Malibu immediately after its warranty expired, 3 year / 36k miles.

In all other cases both synthetic and dyno have its pro and contra. The jury is still out.

Synthetic is clearly better when starting the engine in a cold winter morning. But the right dyno is OK too. And this is irrelevant in the Southern states, e.g. California or Florida.

The synthetic oil does not break-up fast, and can be changed less often. Not every 3k miles / 3 months, but something like 5k / 6 month. Or, in case of Impala LS or Buick Regal, etc., according to the recommendations of the car computer. Probably, even less frequent changes is OK, up to 15k miles / one year and even longer, but who would risk? And, any case, the oil filter must be changed every 6 months / 7.5k miles.

Synthetic is still more expensive even with unfrequent changes. Something like $30 every 6 months, vs. $10 every 3 months. The price is for consumables only: 4.5-5 quarts of Mobil 1 oil and the Pure One filter. With less frequent changes you need a better oil filter. Not a $3 one, but $6-$10. Pure One, Delco Ultra, etc.

However, it does pay if you take in account the price of labor and/or especially your own time. I believe, the time is substantially more valuable, than the $10 difference.
    Thanks for the very detailed expalantion!
    Explanation
    GMAC is currently offering a 5.9% finance rate loan for 36 months. Also a 7.9% is being offered for a 60 month installment loan.
  • morphius909morphius909 Member Posts: 67
    GMAC(CANADA) is offering 0.9% up to 48 months (financing loan) for the 2001 Impala. Wish we had waited, ours is at 4.9%. I believe the lease rate for the 2001 model is 408/month.
  • mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    Thanks cobraa for passing along what my teacher said , and for tellin about my computer probs , i am back online now , basiclly a loose wire . thanks-------mattmcdill
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    Here in Phoenix we are considered a high dust area, and I would take exception to the idea that we should change the oil every 1 to 1.5k interval. I say this for one reason only, every podunk oil change outfit in the state would be harping on how you should change your oil that often! I personally would rather stick to the factory recommended interval of 7.5 k but have been doing it at 3k anyway. I figure with the K&N eating up most of the dust, I shouldn't have to worry too much about dusty conditions. I really think if this was a problem (dusty conditions) that some outfit would at least try to convince folks they should change thier oil more often...Responses?
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    In the world. Taking care of a vehicle is the cheapest mechanic there is.

So many ppl let car repairs go till the vehicle needs so much work the car can be completely un-reliable, even dangerous to drive.

I saw a mid 80's Camaro on US 60 in Phoenix this morning. Every time he hit the brakes in the stop and go traffic the car pulled strongly to the left !

Modern engines are sealed up very well. Changing oil every 1.5k miles would be unnecessary unless the vehicle is actually on a farm or dirt roads year round.

Modern oils and filters have vastly improved over the past 10 (or more) years.

I run my synthetic oil till about 4k miles. Amsoil used to advertise 10k miles between oil changes. But Amsoil also had an additional high filter/low flow filter that you added on to the engine. I do not know if this is still true.

And for the record I started helping my dad around age 10 repairing, tinkering, building and general working on engines/automobiles. I have owned repair shops off and on over the years............. in January I turn 47
    Matt
    Cobra
    larr.
    matt
    It was my words that in dusty conditions oil must be changed often. In extremal cases after 1k-1.5k miles.

I remember reading something of this kind. Most probably in my car manual, but I am not 100% sure. I have a different car, Buick Regal, but it have the same engine as Impala LS. However, the manual is in the glove box, and the car is on the parking lot. It is midnight now, and it is freezing outside.

Any case, I did not suggest anything specific to your driving conditions. I do not know anything about the Phoenix dust.

The common sense is to change oil as seldom or frequently, as most of people around do. Would engines wear-out too fast in particular conditions, people would adjust by changing the oil more often. The common sense is also to use better air (and oil) filters, and to check/clean/replace the air filter more often, than in the dust-free places.

I mostly discussed synthetic oil, not dust. Even with 3k mile changes there is not so much sense to use the synthetic oil. IMHO. One of advantages of synthetic is it does not break-up as fast as dyno oil. But it does not matter if you change oil before it starts breaking-up. Change to rinse the engine, to remove the dust, not because the oil itself is bad.

On the other hand, synthetic would be only somewhat expensive, but not very expensive. 4 oil changes with synthetic oil would cost extra $80 per year or so, comparing with the dyno oil. $6.66 per month.
    For those of you who purchased Impalas in the 2000 model year, what was offered for financing deals at various times of year? I wonder when the best time of year is to plan a purchase. I realize that there were not many, if any rebates on the car in its maiden year. My anticipated purchase time is mid summer - could be end of Q2 or sometime in Q3. Don't think I can retain my sanity if I push it too much further out than that!

Turnpike Ken
  • sweetpollysweetpolly Member Posts: 99
    I purchased my 2000 Impala LS in February 2000 and within a month GM offered $500 cash or 2 year extended warranty rebates. I chose the extended warranty.

Keep reading this discussion group, we always let our fellow members know what deals we hear of.
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    Pardon me for being ignorant, but what is dino or dyno oil? Is it the basic oil you purchase? Just curious. May all have a great day!
    dinosaur! thanks-----mattmcdill
    Same as Sweetpolly, we purchased our new '00 Impala LS back in Feb 2000. At the time, GM had issued the famous $500.00 rebate coupon or the 2 year free routine maintenance service voucher (Not an extended warranty as stated by Sweetpolly). Both offers were reasonably good and we opted for the $500.00 rebate option. Also I had $341.00 worth of rebate points on my GM Mastercard account which I promptly applied towards the initial down payment. On top of everything, the dealer gave us a $199.00 discount on the final price for the rear spoiler as we originally did not wanted it but it was virtually impossible for CarOrder.com (When they were at the height of their business saga, they shut down back in July)to locate an Impala LS with Cloth, no sunroof and no spoiler with package 1SB. In the end the spoiler grew on us and we really like the way it enhances the sporty/agressive appareance of the Impala shape. So in the end GM awarded us about $1000.00 in combined rebates/points/dealer discounts. We put another $1200.00 out of pocket for a reasonable 10% downpayment. We landed an excellent auto loan rate of 7.5% for 48 months with our credit union (Thanks to our excellent credit rating)as the rates offered by GMAC at the time were in the neighborhood of 8.5% and up. I am paying the car off way ahead of schedule in about 29 months instead of the original 48 and saving a good chunk of change on interest rates.

The deal was fantastic and the internet shopping experience was just incredible...no hassles, no bitter negotiations, no tricks, no gimmicks....just the bottom line price. The car was delivered via free flatbed to my in-laws front driveway on tip-top shape on 2/22/00...have had a blast ever since.

I remember back in december of '99, GMAC had a subsidized lease for a Base Impala with the 3400 engine for $270 plus tax on a 36 month close end contract with $1700 due at inception. Haven't seen anything like this in about a year.

Without a doubt, GM will offer additional incentives to move Impalas out of dealer lots as cars are piling up and production is starting to slow down for all domestic model lines. I believe the 5.9% 36 month financing and the 7.9% 60 month financing are very good deals. Since Alan Greenspan reduced the interest rates to stimulate the economy perhaps this will be a great time to dive into a new Impala and I am sure the "Bonanza" will last for a few more months...but again it all depends on how the election mess will end up (Keep your eyes and ears opened for the verdicts comming up within the next hour!)
  • platourplatour Member Posts: 252
    I pick up my new Impala tomorrow. Went with the base car but with the buckets, console, fold-down rear seats, etc. The LS is nice but I do not need On-Star and the overhead message centre, ABS, and alloy wheels in a salt-belt.... I BOUGHT this one after leasing for a number of years. Why? GM Canada is offering 0.9% financing for up to 48 months. And no payments, no interest for three months. That covers (no payments during) the last two months on my 1998 leased Saturn. Plus, I bargained the MRSP down $1,800. The lease rate is 5.9%, BTW. This offer apparently ends in the first week in January (???) so I went for it. Why not use GM's money; literally $000s of dollars saved in interest over 48 months. The current bank rate for vehicle purchases runs about 9.5-12.0%. BTW, I will shift to synthetic oil in about six months. I am a low-mileage driver and hope to keep this car for five years. And in Canada we need that low-temperature oil flow. As an example, it is -18C (0F) at the moment. Interesting Forum. I will let you know how I make out with the new Impala!
    I have made my way through many of the hundreds of posts in this thread and everyone loves the 3.8L engine. Are there any endearing attributes about the 3.4L?
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    sorry if I made anyone feel like I was picking on them regarding the oil change at 1-1.5k mark, it just seemed a bit excessive...

I purchased in May 00' and got a great .09% for 60 months deal from GMAC. After all is said and done I will only pay 465.00 in interest for this car. The best deal I've seen for a base Impala here is $219 month for 36 months on a lease. We are considering getting another Impala since my wife's Saturn is getting a little long in the tooth. We are leaning towards leasing...
    You asked: Are there any endearing attributes about the 3.4L?

As you wish. I rented a Pontac GA with the 3.4l engine for a month. It is a wonderful smaller engine. High torque across the full rpm range, and very economic, especially on highways. Wish to have it in my Malibu.
    Thanks for the reply, yurakem. I bought the Impala for just solid day-to-day driving and to get a lot more low-end (four passenger on-board) torque than I found in my 1998 Saturn SL2. The Saturn is a nice car but the 1.9L engine even with double-over-head-cam, 16-valve bells and whistles does not really cut the mustard when the Wife is in the front and the kids are in the back. In fact, it is a slug! I appreciate your opinion, look forward to more...I hope the Impala will deliver even with the "little" 3.4L.
    YOU guys gotta see this, this is a 2001 impala with a LS1 350 v-8 and front wheel drive, it is on display at the oshawa impala plant . www.9c1.com/pictures/ls1_impala/index.htm
  • heavenboundheavenbound Member Posts: 39
    platour, welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your Impala for many happy miles. I just tripped 12,000 today and have no complaints.

mcdill, Matt that is a great picture! If they build it right lots of power, good gas milage and less than $30,000 with the usual safety and trunk space for a family. I can see lot's of people lining up for one. Go Impala!
  • kissfan1969kissfan1969 Member Posts: 20
    They will build that car>It is awesome!I like the Monte Carlo High Sport package wheels!
    with that new ss , it is soooo cool , that car is now #1 on my most wanted list .thanks--------mattmcdill
  • watusiwatusi Member Posts: 17
    ok, so now the we know there is absolutly no problem fitting that big 5.7 in there, Lets Get Going Chevrolet!!!!! all they would have to do is put 17 inch wheels just like the '94-'96s and i would want one of those babies in my driveway.

damn i love that all black grill with the red bowtie!
    It does sport the 17" wheels according to the lead-in at the top. The black looks really good. Matt should I get a red bowtie for mine? Or just leave it blue?
    Cobra
  • morphius909morphius909 Member Posts: 67
    Man...that Special Edition Impala looks sweet.
    Great looking wheels...and that spoiler is awesome! And wow...that v8 is sure crammed in there, lord have mercy on whoever has to service the engine!
    Larry, that red bowtie would look sweet on your car , i would do it ! and the motor didnt look toooo crammed , go look under the hood of a chrysler LHS, now that IS crammed .thanks----------mattmcdill
  • chevyrulzchevyrulz Member Posts: 10
    Now Matt, you know that this car is REALLY on display at the Mexican plant! They just took the pictures up to their fake Canadian plant to make it LOOK like it was on display up there.
    for the info on your purchases. I suspect there will be incentives coming down the pike and will keep my eye in them (gives me excuse to keep looking at Impalas too!)

That Black SS in the (Mexican) plant there in Canada is SWEET! Love the red accents on black! I sure hope GM doesn't blow this opportunity.

Ken
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    I just downloaded the LS1 Impala photos and they will be on my site soon. I don't care for black but it looks great.
    Thank you for the pictures of Impala with 5.7l engine. Would like to have such a car!

I am salivating :-) But, even if GM would not kill the Impala, I will start shopping for a car the next time only in 6 years or so. We have two new cars, 98 and 2000, and low yearly mileage.
    Matt
    Where did you find the pictures? Did they have any others? Let me know.
    Cobra
  • lrymallrymal Member Posts: 105
    (platour)wrote on Fri:

> Are there any endearing attributes
    > about the 3.4L?

I have a '99 GrandAm SE with the 3.4L engine and have nearly 50k on the engine. Not a single problem. And, in this little motor's defense, it has the really nice "sweet spots" in its acceleration. You gotta experiment, but when you find them as you punch the accelerator, you'll ask, "Now what was THAT all about???"

It isn't a bad motor and more than capable. The Impala is only about 300 pounds in weight heavier. I would think that in a "burst" mode, it would keep up with the 3.8L motor, but certainly not in a straight line race, although I haven't check the 0-60 ratings for both motors in the Grand Am and the Impala.

Anyway, I would do a test drive. I personally think it is a very capable motor.
    I picked up my new Impala today and it is BIG compared to the Saturn SL. Did not drive very far as it is very cold: -18C or 0F. The engine is very quiet and smooth compared to the SL2 1.9L. What is the history of the 3.4L? I believe GM had both OHC and push-rod versions of this engine. The Impala has the old-fashioned version but what are the origins? I do wonder sometimes what are the differences between the 2.8, 3.1, 3.4, 3.8 and 4.3 versions of the V6. I know the SB V8s very well as I grew up with them. I will date myself but I had a 1963 Impala 2-door with 283cid and Powerglide. Loved it! In any case, if anyone has a sense of history on the V6s, I would love to hear from you. Many thanks!
    Larry, i found the pictures at the www.9c1.com website , 9c1 is the rpo code for the police package, this site features stuff about big chevrolet cars, and police 9c1 cars mainly , that was all the picture that were shown . platour , the 2.8 3.1 and 3.4 are all 60 degree v-6's while the 3.8 and 4.3 are 90 degree v-6 , the 90 degree design is like the small block v-8 , while the 60 degree is much more smaller and compact , ive seen a 3.1 torn down to block and heads , and it is very small , the old 3.4 was a dohc , which was alot different design , the camaro also had the 3.4 , but it was an ohv rated at 160 hp.thanks------------mattmcdill
    The only 0 to 60 times i have ever seen for a 3.4 impala was 10.1 sec 0 to 60 , for the 3.8 impala ive seen a low of 7.5 and a high of 8.6 .thanks-----mattmcdill
  • frankencatfrankencat Member Posts: 14
    KILLER! I would buy it tomorrow if it were available. I read in GM Perf Mag that there WILL be a production V8 version of the car. It is being developed primarily as a 9C1 but will also be offered in an SS version and in the Monte Carlo as well. I beleive they said it would be with us in 2002. Trying to get my 2000 payed off by then. Probably give mine to the wife at that point and grab the SS for myself. What can I say, I'm generous that way :-)

Thanks for the pics Matt. You made my day!

Frank