Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• hhhcj2003hhhcj2003 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I have the same problem with my Tacoma. I have a 2006 double cab sr5. I'm going to the dealership to get it checked out. Did you find out the source of your problem. I noticed that it happens a lot when you go over a speed bump.
  • toycoma1toycoma1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,
    I would like to pull my toyota am/fm/cassette and replace it with a toyota am/fm/cd does the wiring plug work for either deck? can i just plug the cd deck in where the cassette was? thank you
  • bsm48bsm48 Member Posts: 7
    Hi. Just purchased a 06 Doublecab Prerunner with TRD off-road. I've had it for a month and just returned from a 500 mile road trip. I notice that the steering wheel vibrates. I already had the dealer balance the tires once! On certain roads, the ride is very rough. Am I crazy?
  • don45don45 Member Posts: 1
    :cry: I own a 2006 4x4 tacoma dbl cab. I put a set of bf goodrich KO tires on,, size, 265/70/17. I had the factory dunlops at 265/65/17. I was getting 19.6 miles per gallon in my last 7,000 miles driven. Now I get 17.5 miles per gallon,,, It sure makes and difference because of 1.5 inches taller.. :cry: ">
  • msibillemsibille Member Posts: 275
    265/70/17 is nominally 1.04 inches larger in dia. than 265/65/17 (I say nominal because a different tire design may have a different rolling radius.). The difference in rolling radius means that you are actually travelling about 3% further w/ the new tires for the same ODO reading. (Unless you recalibrated the speedo/odo.)

OTOH, you're noticing a 10% change in indicated mpg.
    That other 7 % could be due to effective change in ratio, (if you do a lot of city stop and go) but I would have expected no real change to a slight increase if you drove a lot of highway. Could it also be that you're driving a bit more agressively w/ those nice new tires?

And, of course, it could be that the new tires are a "softer" design, with a bit more rolling resistance.
  • toycoma1toycoma1 Member Posts: 2
    please, someone that knows, please type yes or no, please!
  • sugarman1sugarman1 Member Posts: 92
    this is a reply to gdwtch1969 with 2004 starting problem,you have the mirror image problem that i have with my 2004 taco except the gas tank tsb,as i writng this my truck is at the dealership for an answer since the first time that could not duplicate the problem there,now it seems that they have caught a starting problem with the engine stumbling when it did start. Problem is now i am off warranty,just got a call from dealership to pickup the truck they are going to do the gas tank tsb for free and order parts but based on your and others this does not work either but have to go through with it anyway. i just want to know what happened to your truck in the end ,personally i now after vthis free tsb the dealership will wash thier hands of me because i am off warranty and say they did everything they could do for me. i like the new tacoma alot but dont want to get stuck again i think i'll be looking to trade in for something else maybe chevy silvarado got to have a reliable starting truck.
    If you can document that the prblm started during warranty and was never resolved, you are legally entitled to repair under the warranty.

Moreover, if they've attempted repairs numerous times for the same prblm unsuccessfully, you likely have lemon :lemon: law recourse. However, there are time limits (statute of limitations) so don't delay.
  • hawgdrvrhawgdrvr Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1998 Tacoma 4Cyl 2.7L 4X4 from a used car dealer. I like the vehicle and it runs great but I've had a couple of instances where it would not start. When the key is turned to start all the idiot lights come on but the engine makes not attempt to crank. Pretty sure it is an electrical problem; was wondering if any out there had a similar problem. Thought it might have something to do with the "Clutch Start Cancel" switch. When it does this, it will eventually start just fine. Don't have an owners manual yet so am a little blind here.
    thanx for the tip on the warranty issue that if i had brought the truck with the problem under warranty they are obligated to fix it under warranty free. i picked up the truck yesterday and went with the service manager to start it and it would not start immediately he got aservice tech to look he said it sounded like a weak battery i said put a new batt. in and let me take for the weekend they went and checked exist batt. it was good as gold.so i am going to wait for parts to do a tsb for an extended suction line in the gas tank,this morning the temp. is 20deg. and chilly wind and when its cold as is this problem amplifies and guess what i cranked and cranked the engine batt. sounded strong but the engine would not catch,finally it did and ran rough and was really stumbling to idle right.Personally i dont think these tsb's will cure the problem based on other owners comments that have the same truck and have had tsb's done,ive owned 2 toyota trucks 83,95years and both ran flawlessly to over 200,000miles,i bought this one based on RELIABILITY and has totally let me down.may have to look at lemon law in state of NJ or try to make a deal for 2005-06 Tacoma and cut my losses,any comments on this problem are appreciated as are comments from 2005-2006 Taco owners on how thier newer trucks are running if they have any quirks or problems.
  • tokyojoetokyojoe Member Posts: 13
    Hi antgar, I also own a 2006 Tacoma 4cyl Access Cab with 4 speed AT. I just bought it 3 weeks ago and it is only 500 miles old. I have almost the same problems you have described. I hear a weird noise, more like growling noise than wooshing at start-ups and for the first mile or so in the morning and again at 8 hours later when I leave my office but not at when turning the steering wheel though. It sounds like something loose and tapping but not a piston slapping. I opened the hood one time to locate the source of noise but could not tell because the engine sound itself was just too noisy, but I noticed that the engine cooling fan was already revolving despite the fact that it was a freezing cold(15F)that day. My other cars' cooling fans turn only when the engines get hot. Also my engine has a constant knocking noise as you describe as "dieseling" and it only stops when I remove my right foot from the gas pedal or when going downhill. Adding some premium did not help at all. When the engine is fully warmed up, the noise is slightly quieter but it's always there. I'm even afraid of driving it on a long uphill road with the top gear. My local dealer says that it is a normal sounding engine(without driving it)and I'm supposed to hear a lot of noises during the break-in period. I got so frustrated that I e-mailed not only to Toyota's USA headquarter but also to Toyota Japan. They both reponded and I'm now supposed to let them know when I plan to take it to the dealer next time after break-in period is over in advance so that they can arrange with someone at the dealership to ride with me to have him or her hear the noises. You should write them too. By the way, the dealer says that it is normal that the fan turns at all time even when it is extremely cold.
    I'm the owner of 2006 Tacoma Access Cab with 2.7L 4cyl engine & 4AT who reported about the noises I hear at the start-ups and engine knocking at the message #1869 as a reply to antgar(Feb 06). I don't know if a wrong engine oil level can cause the noises, but the oil level I read from the dip stick shows my engine has too much oil in it. Page 396 of the owner's manual shows that my 4cyl 2.7L engine(2TR-FE)has the oil capacity of 6.1 qts(with filter)which is much more than the 4.8 or 5.5 qts capacity of the V6-4.0L engine(1GR-FE). The smaller engine has more oil capacity than the bigger engine does?
    It must be a typo and maybe that's why my engine has too much oil in it. Does anyone out there know what the real oil capacity is for Tacomas?
  • blaine3blaine3 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know how many Catalytic Converters a 2001 Tacoma PRE V6 has?
  • rmbjlbrmbjlb Member Posts: 1
    Same problems, I own a 2006 Tacoma 4 cyl. 5 speed 2 WD that idles around 2500 rpms soon as I start the motor. It only does this when the motor is cold though. Also shifting between fourth and fifth gear it idles up over 2000 rpms and then returns to normal rpms when I shift into fifth. Going from fourth to fifth, if I hold the clutch in long enough the rpm's will come down though, but that takes around a minute are so. Toyota of Knoxville said this was normal but it just does not seem right to me. My truck sounds like a jet when starting up cold because it idles so high, when shifting from 4th to 5th it idles up real high, which seems crazy, when I look out my rear view mirror I can see sunlight between the tailgate if the sun is right, and the seat squeaks on the drivers’ side while driving. The seat squeaking is so annoying and I cannot fix the problem because the sound comes from within the seat itself. To keep the noise down I have to drive with two pillows behind my seat with the seat itself pushed far back. For me, buying my Toyota Tacoma was the worse mistake I ever made. I love the truck, but getting the problems that come along with it makes it a bad purchase. To see other people with these same problems on this forum also tells me that Toyota does not care about quality anymore. Warning, if you are thinking about buying a 2006 Toyota Tacoma Pickup Truck remember the old saying – Buyer Beware! IMHO – buying a Toyota Tacoma was the worse money I have ever spent. :lemon:
    I have the V6, so I can't tell you what the capacity is, but I can tell you two things-
    a) always fill based on the dipstick reading, not some arbitrary number. I like to prefill the oil filter, install, then fill the crankcase to the mark on the dipstick. Start the engine to get the system filled. Shutdown and allow to sit and drain down. Recheck the dipstick. (With a good filter prefill, you usually won't have to add when you recheck. Without prefill, as at some oil change places that I no longer use, you may be 1/2 qt low on 2nd check.)
    b) I had a 2004 Taco w/ 4 cyl and I did find that it did not require the full amount listed in the manual.
    this is about my third post regarding 04 starting problems,after replying to gdwtch1969 post regarding this problem of intermitten starting,engine cranks but doesnt turnover sometimes when its very cold below 18deg. which happens in the northeast frequently ill turn the key all idiotlights come on absolutely no crank,no solenoid click,only the faint hum of fuel pump,all elect. lights,radio work. i will turn key back try again same story over again,until 3-5 turns then she will start and idle and stumble roughly. took to the dealer 3 times and had one service bulletin for heavy gauge neg. battery cable and and another will be done for a extension into the gas tank next week. in addition to all this going on no check engine light? I have read alot of posts about this problem going back to 02-04 owners on other websites and am wondering if others fixed or cured this problem and how they did it because after reading gdwtch1969 post he had both tsb's done and the problem persists,i think same will happen for me,after reading his post i am feeling the same way about this truck,at this point on a new truck i dont really feel like crawling all over to check for air,spark,fuel but i have checked my bank account and it seems $25,000 lighter :cry: on a new toyota truck that at this stage should be starting and running :mad: .after owning two toy trucks both were solid well over 200,000miles each this one is a :lemon: . after they do the the last tsb and the problem persists i think i am looking for a trade in or search my states :lemon: law rules. if anybody out there has cured this problem please post,but i think nobody has.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    I agree that the fan comes on too early, which hurts gas mileage and makes the engine ROAR to life when you start it. It also makes the engine take longer to warm up, which makes for a chilly ride in the winter. The quicker the engine warms up the better your MPG will be.

So I replaced the stock clutch fan with a Zirgo electric fan and thermostat that controls when the fan comes ON. The engine doesn't roar to life now. It is much quieter. It also frees up a few HP by taking a little load off of the engine, and it helps gain at least 1 MPG.

Check my CarDomain if you want to see how I did it on my V6.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832238
    Are you sure it isn't the rear leaf springs? There is a TSB to get this fixed. The dealer puts nylon pads between the springs, which keeps them from slapping together and making a clicking sound when you go over bumps.

A TSB is not like a recall. The dealership is not required to inform you of a TSB. The TSB (technical service bulletin) is just to inform the dealership on how to fix a common problem that certain models might have, before the production line was able to fix the problem. Your VIN# has to qualify for the particular TSB. Some dealerships are too dumb or lazy to look for these TSBs unless you notify them, and give them the TSB number.

I have a full list of TSBs for the new Tacomas. Click on my name and E-mail me.
    Yes, if the headunit (CD Player) is from a similar year and model as the truck you putting it in.
    Trade that turd in. Get a new '06, or a used '05 that was built late in the year. There could be a few small issues if you get a Taco that has the last 6 VIN numbers that are less than 180000. Any '05 Taco built after those numbers shouldn't have any problems. Mine is #076000, but I don't seem to have any problems, yet. I have 10k miles on it, and I love this truck.

:)
    It seems weird, but I do think that the 4cyl has more oil capacity than the V6. But I have heard that some engines seem to require less than the listed number of quarts. The V6 is supposed to hold 5.5, but sometimes 5 quarts fills it up, including the oil filter. You should go with whatever the dipstick says.

Here is some info for a 4cyl '05/'06 Tacoma.

This info is via Amsoil.

2006 TOYOTA TACOMA 2.7L 4-cyl VIN Code 2TR-FE

BOSCH SPARK PLUGS
    All submodels

Plug......NA

LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS
    Engine Oil
    No recommendations
    All Temps......5W-30
    Manual Transmission,.....GL-4
    All temps......75W-90
    Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90
    Manual Transmission,.....GL-5
    All temps......75W-90
    Severe Gear 75W-90
    SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
    Automatic Transmission,5-Spd.....WS
    Automatic Transmission,4-Spd.....TIV
    Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
    Differential, Front .....GL-5
    75W-90
    Severe Gear 75W-90
    Differential, Rear .....GL-5
    Above -18°C......90
    Severe Gear 75W-90
    SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
    Transfer Case,.....GL-4
    75W-90
    Transfer Case,.....GL-5
    75W-90
    Severe Gear 75W-90
    Fluids
    Power Steering Fluid.....AF3
    Torque-Drive™ Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATD)
    Brake Fluid.....HB
    Clutch Fluid.....HB

CHASSIS LUBRICATION
    Two-wheel drive
    0 Fittings, 0 Plugs
    Four-wheel drive
    8 Fittings, 0 Plugs..........LM
    Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Grease
    Synthetic GHD Heavy-Duty EP Grease
    Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #2

CAPACITIES
    Engine, with filter..........6.1 quarts[1]
    Cooling System, W/ MT Initial Fill..........9.2 quarts
    Cooling System, W/ AT Initial Fill..........9.1 quarts
    Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
    A340E..........13.0 quarts
    A750E..........12.0 quarts
    A750F..........12.0 quarts
    Manual Transmission, 2WD..........5.5 pints
    Manual Transmission, 4WD..........4.6 pints
    Differential, Front..........3.2 pints
    Differential, 2WD EX Prerunner Rear..........7.0 pints
    Differential, 4WD & Prerunner Rear..........5.9 pints
    Transfer Case,STD..........2.1 pints

1. After refill check oil level

TORQUES
    Oil Drain Plug.....28 ft-lbs
    Manual Transmission
    Fill Plug.....27 ft-lbs
    Drain Plug.....27 ft-lbs

SERVICE INTERVAL
    AMSOIL Product Recommendation and Drain Interval Guide (g1490)
    This is for a V6

2006 TOYOTA TACOMA 4.0L 6-cyl VIN Code 1GR-FE

BOSCH SPARK PLUGS
    All submodels

Plug......NA

FILTERS
    Oil Filter......EaO57/SDF57
    Air Filter......46888
    Fuel Filter......NS
    Trans......NA
    Trans......NR

LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS
    Engine Oil
    Grade 1......API*
    Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil
    SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
    SAE 5W-30 XL Synthetic Motor Oil
    All Temps......5W-30
    Manual Transmission,.....GL-4
    All temps......75W-90
    Manual Transmission,.....GL-5
    All temps......75W-90
    Severe Gear 75W-90
    Automatic Transmission,5-Spd.....WS
    Automatic Transmission,4-Spd.....TIV
    Differential, Front .....GL-5
    75W-90
    Severe Gear 75W-90
    Differential, Rear .....GL-5
    Above -18°C......90
    Severe Gear 75W-90
    SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
    Transfer Case,.....GL-4
    75W-90
    Transfer Case,.....GL-5
    75W-90
    Severe Gear 75W-90
    Fluids
    Power Steering Fluid.....AF3
    Torque-Drive™ Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATD)
    Brake Fluid.....HB
    Clutch Fluid.....HB

CHASSIS LUBRICATION
    Two-wheel drive
    0 Fittings, 0 Plugs
    Four-wheel drive
    8 Fittings, 0 Plugs..........LM
    Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Grease
    Synthetic GHD Heavy-Duty EP Grease
    Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #2

CAPACITIES
    Engine, 2WDwith filter..........4.8 quarts[1]
    Engine, 4WDwith filter..........5.5 quarts[2]
    Cooling System, W/ MT Initial Fill..........10.0 quarts
    Cooling System, W/ AT Initial Fill..........10.0 quarts
    Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
    A340E..........13.0 quarts
    A750E..........12.0 quarts
    A750F..........12.0 quarts
    Manual Transmission, ..........3.8 pints
    Differential, Front..........3.2 pints
    Differential, 2WD EX Prerunner Rear..........7.0 pints
    Differential, 4WD & Prerunner Rear..........5.9 pints
    Transfer Case,STD..........2.1 pints

1. Except PreRunner
    2. PreRunner & 4WD

TORQUES
    Oil Drain Plug.....30 ft-lbs
    Manual Transmission
    Fill Plug.....27 ft-lbs
    Drain Plug.....27 ft-lbs

SERVICE INTERVAL
    AMSOIL Product Recommendation and Drain Interval Guide (g1490)
  • adkfreeridexadkfreeridex Member Posts: 2
    i noticed on my drive out to salt lake city from albany new york that by gas milage was 16 mpg. when i got to wyoming i had to downshift on level terrain to maintain 70 mph. finally when i got to utah and have driven up and down the canyon a few times i have noticed that my front discs are extremely hot after the drive up the canyon...its about 10 miles and the brakes are never used. the truck seems unusually slugish, but only on the drive up or after i have been driving it for a while. after it has been sitting for a day or two the peppy feel comes back but returns once the engine gets hot. my mechanic at home and a guy here says i need new calipers because they are locking up, but it seems that if they were to lock up, they would stay locked up instead of returning to a normal feel. could the problem lie in the master cylinder or the check valve? i have touched the rear drums to see if they are warm and they are not. any suggestions as to what the problem is would be great. im hessitant to buy new calipers because i spent 400 on new plugs, motor vac, drive train lube and a bunch of other stuff to get the mileage up before my trip only to find that that was not the cause of the terrible mileage.
    thanks for the help
    Bob
    i find it very hard to call any toyota truck a turd especially after i owned a 1983and 1995 4x4s which were like trucks on steriods,but 02-04 tacomas that dont start on a regular basis would fit that bill,what gets me is i invested in the truck 25 grand,hard tonneau 1grand,husky floor mats 75bucks,custom seat covers 150bucks,trd air filter w/cleaning kit 80bucks,synthetic oil changes mobil 1,amsoil severe gear 75w90 in the axles and transfer,replaced the t-IV in the tranny,detailed the sheet out of the exterior with top grade products only to be defeated by an stinkin little intermittent starting problem that nobody can trace :cry: And will have to pony up a few more thousands for a hopefully well running 05-06 taco of the same xtra cab trd style,sometimes life sucks but i always thought that i could rely on my Toyota truck to never let me down well maybe because its an 2004. :sick:
  • jfitzgeraldjfitzgerald Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2001 Tacoma 4WD, Automatic. I'm getting a growling noise only over 55 & under 70 mph. I took it to a local shop & they couldn't find the problem. It does have all terain tires. Any ideas?
    dear fitz you'll have to give us experts a little more input to your growling problem other than off road tires,such as have you been greasing that rear axle u joint and checking the rear differential fluid during routine maintainence? More than likely it is the aggressive offroad treads that give alot of highway noise. but sometimes when you use exxon gas its like putting a tiger in your tank :);) :surprise:
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    i noticed on my drive out to salt lake city from albany new york that by gas milage was 16 mpg. when i got to wyoming i had to downshift on level terrain to maintain 70 mph. finally when i got to utah and have driven up and down the canyon a few times i have noticed that my front discs are extremely hot after the drive up the canyon...its about 10 miles and the brakes are never used. the truck seems unusually slugish, but only on the drive up or after i have been driving it for a while. after it has been sitting for a day or two the peppy feel comes back but returns once the engine gets hot. my mechanic at home and a guy here says i need new calipers because they are locking up, but it seems that if they were to lock up, they would stay locked up instead of returning to a normal feel. could the problem lie in the master cylinder or the check valve? i have touched the rear drums to see if they are warm and they are not. any suggestions as to what the problem is would be great. im hessitant to buy new calipers because i spent 400 on new plugs, motor vac, drive train lube and a bunch of other stuff to get the mileage up before my trip only to find that that was not the cause of the terrible mileage.
    thanks for the help

First of all, no matter weather you use your brakes or not, the rotors are going to be hot because the pads ride against the rotor because of design. There is not necessarily pressure against the rotor. Now, you mentioned lack of power in Wyoming and Utah, especially the hills in Utah. I would guess that the sensor that adjusts fuel/air mixture is belly up. Both Wyoming and the mountains around SLC have high altitude areas.
  • pecaspecas Member Posts: 9
    Sounds to me like you need to change mechanics. The dealer should be the guru of tacos, but sadly, in many cases its just not the case.
  • jpr_71jpr_71 Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone had any problems with Indigo Blue paint chipping? I just noticed quite a few chips in the clearcoat directly in front of the rear wheel wells. My truck is only 8 months old with 8,000 miles and has been driven on paved roads 99% of the time. This damage shouldn't exist this early in it's life...I hope my dealer corrects this problem!!!
    these gurus at the dealership i bought the truck at had to contact the head swami in california to get an answer to my problem which is second service bulletin for a gas tank extension which wont work either based on the fact that others have gone through this, intermittent 03-04 taco,with no answer to the problem after 2 service bulletins were performed to address the problem. :confuse: these guys are strictly by the book,if the manual says replace this part they replace it with out thinking of the input that i give them and what is happening when the truck is in my hands. its hard to find old school type mechanics who are hands on checking voltage,making sure of the ground wires,tracking down the problem in an orderly step by step fashion till eventually the problem is right in thier faces. :surprise:
  • g8trh8trg8trh8tr Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where I can get instructions on how to program a key fob for a 2005 Tacoma? I am looking to buy a used fob off of Ebay so I don't have to pay the outrageous price the dealership is asking but I need to figure out how to program it or it is useless. I went to the dealer and they want $115 dollars for a new programmed key fob. Any input is appreciated.
  • fisherman2fisherman2 Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone know which brand of tonneau cover allows you to use the rail system in the bed.My friend just installed a Truxedo on his,but basically has lost use of his system now.I saw some great prices on the internet compared to what my local Tuck shop has to offer.
  • adkfreeridexadkfreeridex Member Posts: 2
    it is not the fuel mixture. when i was driving down to salt lake city from evanston at 3am i had to downshift to maintain 70mph. this section of I80 is a steep downhill grade and i put it in neutral and the truck slowed to 15mph b4 traffic caught up to me.....any other ideas?
  • 2005owner2005owner Member Posts: 3
    Same problem with my 2005 Tacoma DB Cab. They changed door seal, windshield rubber seal where wipers are located. Finally fixed by removing windshield and completely replacing seal around the windshield. Been quiet for 3 months and counting.
    ive posted a couple messages about my tacos extended cranking to turn over engine and had tsb EG-042-04 for upgrade neg. battery terminal done and the truck got worse than ever with bad starts and engine not turning over correctly,just picked up truck from dealer for tsb EG052-04 R&R suction tube assembly which is an extension into the fuel tank and have immediately noticed a stronger engine crank and positive start for the first time since ive owned truck :) i was predicting the worse because ive read in other toyota websites people whom had both tsb's done and still werent satisfied and traded in thier trucks for others. But i say to you again ive have immediately noticed a much stronger crank with smoother turnover,not the weak uncertain extended crank it once had,i will be watching the truck like a hawk and if i notice any stumbles in starting or if it reverts to it old ways i will post. i hope this is the last of the starting problems and am keeping fingers crossed because i thought i would get rid of the truck and take my lumps because i didnt want to have a truck acting like this. hope this helps all 03-04 owners who are dealing with this problem and dont like it all :blush:
  • lesj1lesj1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a '06 Tacoma and cannot find any repair or maintenance manuals for it. What, if any, are people using if one is a DIYer? Helm inc, Clymer etc. doesn't even have one listed. Is the dealer going to get my maintence work. :confuse:
  • aelliottaelliott Member Posts: 1
    I had the same thing on my '05 tacoma. The noise was coming from the exact spot you were talking about. I took it to the dealer twice, and on the second time a solution arose. While it was in the shop Toyota put out a TSB concerning the noise. It actually IS coming from the bumper to frame mounts. All you have to do is call the dealer, let them know you are having the problem, they will order the parts (3-4 days), and it only takes about 2 hours to fix. Mine goes back next week for the new parts install. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma and it is getting horrible gas mileage. The sticker said 22 MPG Highway I can only get 17 if I am lucky. This is a new truck I just bought last year I cant figure out the problem. Anybody having the same problems? Please write back. Thanks
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    If your brakes are causing it to do that kind of drastic braking, the rotors would be glowing and smoke would be rolling off. Also that kind of heat will boil off the grease in the front wheel bearings. You are headed for a major problem very soon if it is the brakes. It would have to be the calipers on both sides sticking or you would have a massive pull. I would say to pull off of an exit if possible and jack one tire at a time to see if there is resistance.
  • juffajuffa Member Posts: 2
    In December I purchased an Access Roll-up Cover by Argi-cover, inc. I purchased it thru realtruck.com and it is an excellent cover for my '05 Double Cab w/ 6' bed. I can use the factory rail system and I love it, it even has adjustable tensioners to keep the cover nice and tight. A great way to go!
  • pasvortopasvorto Member Posts: 8
    There is an investigation going on right now about this sort of thing. They (the gov) figured out, finally, that the estimated mileage advertised on cars and trucks was BS. In most cases, it was only half of what was advertised. The EPA estimates are based on lab conditions, not "real world" conditions. Big difference.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    techinfo.toyota.com

$10 for 24 hr. all-you-can eat access. All documents are .pdf, and can easily be saved and printed.
  • gabetoyogabetoyo Member Posts: 3
    I also had a wind noise problem with my taco. i found that the seal on the windshield was the problem. my dealer new about the problem. if you have not fixed the problem, next time your driving at highway speed press on the center of the WS behind the mirror to see if the sound changes.
    good luck
  • sminhisminhi Member Posts: 1
    How can you install the yellowish daytime running lights on a 2006 Tacoma Prerunner? Can you do it yourself or must you bring it to the dealer? Thanks!
    Huge differences can result from driving style.
    You don't necessarily have to be agressive, though that is a common cause.

My 2005 Taco DC gets over 22mpg hiway -if I'm not towing, and not in a headwind. In a trip to Arkansas last Nov, I averaged 22 to mid-23 thruout the trip, including the trips in small towns for church and Walmart runs.

With a pickup, you'll see even more significant changes in fuel economy with speed. Generally the force required to maintain speed is proportional to the (air)velocity squared. In a headwind, the air velocity is higher than your travel speed, in a tailwind, the opposite is true. But with a cross-wind, the air bubble in the cargo box may be disrupted. This bubble normally keeps the main flow of air over the top of the cab from entering the cargo area and impinging on the tailgate. So sometimes a cross-wind can have huge effects on your mileage.

Are you driving in open flat areas with a great deal of wind?

BTW, I get 17+ in city only driving.
  • bgrovebgrove Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a new 2003 Tacoma and ever since I've owned it, it has a little hop after braking at a stoplight or any downward sloping stoplight. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenum? I thought that perhaps it was a sticky front brake caliper.
  • whooiewhooie Member Posts: 5
  • whooiewhooie Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 v6 access cab 5sp auto 4wd with 900 miles on it.My trouble are a vibration when I accelerate from a stop 1100 to1500 rpms this seem to be coming from the drive train but where i dont know. My dealer (who is very good by the way) has seen 3 others that do the same thing,we called toyota and had there district service rep check out my truck and he says its normal.This leaves my to deal with this on my own because toyota says we have no fix for your vibration and its normal. this is a load of....So if anybody else has experienced this and was told by there dealer that your vibration is normal and to live with it
    or if you have solution to this please call toyota at 800 331 4331 the only way toyota will look into the problem is if we dont stay quite. once again its a drivetrain vibration that occurs when you are lightly accelerating from a stop.
    I've been experiencing the same with my 06 Taco AC 2.7L 4cyl+4AT. I think it's caused by a shift of gasoline in the tank.
  • bgrovebgrove Member Posts: 3
    I don't think that's the problem on my Taco. It's definitely taking place in the front. I was also thinking it might be something to do with the ball joints. I have a recall notice on my 2003, and perhaps that hop I'm feeling is coming from one of those. Once I take it in for the recall I'll respond with the solution. If there is one. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.