Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    I think the MPV rides so nice at 80, it's hard not to set the cruise that fast. I do it myself. How many miles do you have on yours so far? We're just about at 700 on ours. I can't wait to see what kind of mileage we get going to CA.
  • bmanordbmanord Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what your credit score minimum needs to be to get the 0.0% finance from Mazda. I have heard of some people going to dealers for the low APRs and not having a good enough score to ge the offer.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    'Pearl White' was the color mentioned at another place here on the ol' friendly internet. It was mentioned in an email from Mazda about the MPV.

Of course, we won't know if this is true or not until Mazda unveils the '04 details to the public.

-Brian
  • lsinclsinc Member Posts: 270
    I have a little over 5k on my MPV. I bought it in April 5 so not quite 4 months. When I bought it, it had 10 miles on the ODO. Oh sigh! I drive way too much.

We also have had 2 oil changes. I'm happy to report that we have had absolutely NO issues. Knocking on wood here. I don't want to jinx myself.

Leslie
    When we picked ours up it had 20 miles on the ODO. We are leaving for CA on Aug 2nd, and I'll be doing the first oil change before we leave. That will end up being around a 2500 mile round trip and I'm not leaving the factory oil in for that long. I like to do the first oil change at around 1K. It'll be getting some of that good Pennzoil 5W-20 and a Puralator PureOne filter. Happy PeeVeeing.
  • moonpie2moonpie2 Member Posts: 26
    bmanord- We got 0.0% with my wife's 813 credit score. The dealer said we would have gotten it with my 783. I asked the dealer what the minimum was and he said it was around 700. I'm not sure if this is true, but it's what he told me.

bottgers- I'm in need of a minutia fix! I'm so jealous of you people with such low mileage. Here in Houston, you're considered close to your office if you live within 25 miles. We have only had our PeeVee for two weeks and already have over 1100 miles on it and haven't done anything but normal daily driving. From the discussions I've been following on the town hall, it sounds like it's time for an oil change. Please give me a minutia filled explanation for why I'm supposed to use your "best" oil and why to do it before the manufacturer's recommended mileage. Thanks for your help.
  • mazda_jimmazda_jim Member Posts: 19
    I should clarify that I was not advocating starting from a dead stop in 2nd gear on a regular basis (especially on any kind of incline). It seems to work well, however, at very slow speeds in stop-and-go traffic. If you leave the transmission to its own devices, it usually does exactly the same thing (takes a LOT of throttle to get it to shift into first once the car is moving at all). I have found the "3" setting is helpful in avoiding the occasional jolting downshift into first, which probably isn't so good for the drivetrain, either. I admit that I probably wouldn't do this if I didn't have the 4-seasons package with the larger tranny cooler. Definitely a YMMV thing, though.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Pray for me - I drive I-45 everyday. My '01 has close to 50K miles so far. Let's face it, it seems you can drive a straight line for two hours and still never make it out of Houston...

I've bounced between Pennzoil and Castrol GTX the whole time in mine (~ 3.5 - 4K miles changes) and have no issues with either. Oil changes still show nice color and "peering" into the manifold looks clean from what I can tell - no gummy deposits, etc.
    Hard to believe, but my MPV has actually not left the garage all day! Wow! I didn't go anywhere. Just had to share that miracle with everyone.

Leslie

Taxi Mom
    Here it is. I subscribe to making the first oil change at around the 1000 mile mark because new engines go through a break-in period where rings are seating, the crank is seating into the bearings, and basically all moving metal-to-metal parts are wearing into each other, which causes metal shavings to deposit in the oil. By 1000 miles, this break-in process has pretty much concluded, leaving the metal particles in the oil and oil filter. A good time to change the oil and filter.

Why do I prefer Pennzoil in 5W-20 weight? I've seen many, many oil analysis test results, and compared to any other 5W-20 conventional motor oil, the Pennzoil has shown superior numbers, and it produces better numbers for longer intervals. Who wouldn't rather change their oil every 5K miles as opposed to every 3K miles? I've seen acceptable numbers up to 6K for the Penn, and all have been acceptable for at least 5K. I haven't seen another non-synthetic oil produce numbers as good as those of the Penn.

There it is. You'll have to decide if it's manutia or not.
  • ajacat1ajacat1 Member Posts: 87
    We drove the MPV again and I must have learned how it likes to accelerate because the hesitation wasn't there in 1st. much more fun to drive this time!

The decision was actually made when we realized that since there are shelves in the back of our garage, the Quest won't FIT IN! I want to be able to get the car in the garage if it's bad weather, and I don't want to remove the shelves, so the MPV is our choice. If we'd been thinking straight, we would have checked that first.

Now to find the right one. Now that I see javadoc's research (WOW, btw, thank you so very much for your trouble--but we really don't like gold--I'm probably being choosy but a gold car always reminds me of that Judy Holliday movie LOL), I fear I may have sent our dealer on a bit of a goose chase asking for a black ES (that light green second choice) with our preferred configuration.

how far away can they do a dealer locate? Do I lessen my chances of getting it at invoice (then the rebate) if they have to get it from far away?
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Well, I know there's a nice black ES in Oregon (Portland) as well as some Sage Green ESs, if that helps you. I'd post a toll-free number that would help you, but I'm told this is taboo. Safe to say that there are people that can help you, but I can't tell you who they are. (shakes head)...

Man, Steve, that's very frustrating. It would really help out a buyer, and honorable TH member, if they knew where to call (and I won't reference to any website) to do a locate, don't you agree? Plea to the court? ;) Can I list the VINs at least?

At any rate, I doubt you'll have any trouble getting invoice, less any current rebate, on any 2003 MPV van.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's ok to name dealers. We don't have time or resources to verify phone numbers, email addresses or the like. Cutting out the contact info has cut down on the number of shills around Town Hall.

Steve, Host
    .. and thx Steve...

There's a Sage Green (light green) ES at Herzog/Meier Mazda in Beaverton, OR. This is one that I was looking at buying actually, but I'm passing b/c I want GFX. It's supposedly got:

4-Seasons
    Security
    Power Doors
    Moonroof
    CD Changer
    DVD RSES
    Rear Spoiler
    Bumper Step Plate

As of Monday (according to them), they still had this one, btw, and considering how loaded it is, it's not going to fly off the lot, imho. According to Edmunds.com, invoice s/b about $28,681, so O.T.D. should be about $26,681...there abouts, after the rebate.
    And thanks to you, Steve, too...

You know what, we saw that *very* one yesterday, but at the risk of sounding Luddite, we're hoping *not* to have a DVD player accessible to our daughter in the car...we'd much prefer that she look out the window or otherwise entertain herself while we're traveling...I know our thinking is hopelessly out of step with the times, but we kind of like that our kid thinks looking at the countryside and seeing what you see is interesting and worthwhile. Especially out here in the beautiful PNW.

But given the late date and limited supply, we're open to thinking our way around this...Is it possible to sell the DVD player later? Or would it leave a big gaping open spot in the ceiling of the car? If we can get the car and then get rid of the DVD and not be losing a lot of $$ for our effort, we'd do that too.

But you know what I'm really amazed by, though, javadoc, is your kindness and effort (and Steve's willingness to let you post it :)). I'm really touched. Thanks again.
    In case you've missed it in our Prices Paid discussions, the policy is:

"You may include the dealership name and city/state where you purchased, but NO direct links to the dealership site. Also, please do not post salespeople names, phone numbers or email contact information."

So, feel free to name the dealers, good or bad.

Feel free to remind Java that daylight is going fast and he'll soon be zooming around in the cold and dark :-)

Steve, Host
    You're mean, Steve. ;-) j/k

I'm already thinking of my favorite thing to do w/the extra night time hours here... okay, my second favorite <w>... soaking in the hot tub looking at the stars.

<content> No worries, ajacat. I'll try and scrounge up some more. So, you're in the PDX area? I'll try and tap a resource again on Monday. Sage or Black, and your mentioned options.
    Looks like I'll be doing that first oil and filter change pretty quick. We're leaving for CA next Saturday and I have next Friday off, so I'll probably do it then. When did you folks do your first oil change?
    and I will remain within bounds at all times :).

Java, we're close to going for a color I despise, and an interior leather I despise (it's just me, but the colors remind me of both the Civil War and my high school--navy blue and grey)-- because the price is looking the best I can get right now...it would be about *600* under invoice before the 2K rebate, has everything we want, but is in that *icky* color combination, like my least favorite of all...I figure if we cover the seats with some slipcover and camp up the outside of it somehow we can stand it.

You know, I was looking at the competition again just to see if we can spend less money and there are basically *no* 2002 ES's out there equipped the way we want. Well, there's one in TEXAS on ebay, but it's got lots of bids and there's the shipping issue...it's amazing. People don't get rid of these cars. There are lots of 2002 Siennas around, and a few Odysseys.

The Quest is the only one that still nips at me, but we'd be saving a lot of $$. Today will be an interesting day.
    Oh, you mean the War of Northern Aggression. I burnt out on that stuff too, growing up in the South.

At least you don't really pay much attention to the outside of a car while you're driving; just avoid driving by plate glass windows.

Steve, Host
  • gagpgagp Member Posts: 32
    Hi !

Yesterday, someone "broke" my '00 MPV right electric mirror. Hopefully, the mirror part itself is in one piece but I have to put it back on.

It's OK for the two electric wires but there are two (well, make them four) other parts which I have a hard time to figure out : There are two plastic coated metal "claws", one pivoting up and down, the other one well, you guessed it, from left to right. They are located on the back of the mirror.

The two other parts are blue rubber coated holes (I have no ideas what's inside those holes). They are facing the two other "claws" (into the mirror receptacle).

I know this is a quite technical question but hey, what do I have to loose asking ?

Many thanks in advance !!

Silver (CLOSER THAN I APPEAR) Driver
    Every manufacturer has to get their own jabs in when it comes to making things difficult for us DIY's, don't they? The filter they put on from the Factory (a Motorcraft) couldn't just have the normal socket type shape, no, it's got to be shaped in such way that only the dealer's service department would have the tool that fits it. Luckily I had a strap wrench that also fit, or I wouldn't have been able to get the thing off.

The color of the oil as it was draining out of the engine was roughly the color of coffee, but I could still see through it. I thought it was a bit strange that oil with just 852 miles on it would be that dark already. When I started pouring the new oil in, I realized why the oil I drained out was so dark. This Pennzoil 5W-20 is about the color of maple syrup. Are all 5W-20's this dark? Usually oil is so light it's almost clear on the dipstick, but not this stuff.

Some of you folks were saying it took more than 5.5 qts to fill to the full mark on the dipstick. It took a full 6 qts to get mine to the full mark. That put it right at full.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    What I did to install my mirror was this: I disconnected the "claws" from the mirror itself and just inserted them into the rubber coated holes so that that just the ball joints are sticking through the rubber seal. The claws themselves have some ridges which make clicking sound when you push them in the holes. It's normal.

So, when I inserted the claws in the holes on the motor assembly, I just pushed the mirror so it snapped into place in the middle and each of the claws hooked up to the mirror base. A little guesswork as to when everything is secure but I'm sure you'll figure it out. :)

HTH
    If so, what the heck do they mount it to? I looked underneath the rear of our PeeVee last night and it's nothing but wall-to-wall fuel tank under there. I didn't see any exposed framework under there that a trailer hitch could be mounted to. If any of you have had a hitch installed, how much did they charge you?
  • researchgal2researchgal2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone! It's my first posting, and I hope you can help me decide between 2 minivans that I have binders on (need to decide tomorrow).
    #1 is a 2000 MPV LX with 39K miles, price $10,700 plus a $440 dealer prep charge that I'm not happy about. Supposedly it will be mazda certified after they run 100 point check. This car has a few cosmetic problems, smell from dog/smoking, no roofrack, sticking in sliding 2nd row seat, stains on rug/headliner, etc. Carfax says 1 owner , private vehicle, no accidents, odometer clean. Dealer says they will shampo rugs and headliner.
    #2 is a 1998 Toyota Sienna LE with 48K miles for $9995 no dealer prep (not a showroom, a trailer and lot by side of road). Inside beautiful, engine looks good. Carfax says 2 owners, one of which was a lease.
    We plan on having a mechanic look at both tomorrow, but I was hoping for some input on reliability (ratings seem comparable), comfort, ease of parking, maintenace costs (anyone know when these things need timing belt changes?) etc.
    We have 2 kids and would only use the 3rd row occasionally.Usage will be around town and short trips.
    Thank you for your input.
    Check the True Market Value if you haven't already.

The Edmunds Maintenance Guide provides maintenance cost estimates and intervals.

The MPV is 2 years newer, one owner, fewer miles.... hmmm.

Steve, Host
    See everyone either in late August or early September. Off to VT for the remainder of the summer. No phones or computers.

Everyone stay safe!

Leslie

Zoom-Zoom!
    Hey new owners, please tell us about your purchase:

Madza MPV: Prices Paid & Buying Experience

If you can't find the discussion, try the What Did You Pay board over in Smart Shopper. There's some housekeeping going on getting it organized.

Steve, Host
  • whodewhode Member Posts: 15
    We're interested in the MPV and are wondering when would be the best time to buy. We're not in a hurry but aren't sure if we should wait until the new model year (when is that for the MPV by the way?). I wasn't sure if now was the best time since they have the $2000 rebate and still have adequate inventory. I was worried that in a couple of months, they'll have dwindling supplies of the 2003 as they get ready for 2004's (which I assume won't have rebates when they arrive). Is the window closing on the best time to buy?
    Best time to buy, would be between now and the next couple of weeks, I'd guess... or by Sept. 2nd (current sunset date of the rebate). There are fewer and fewer 2003s out there, and the 2004s will be almost the same, but cost more, and won't have rebates.

My .02, YMMV...
    I agree with Javadoc--no real changes for the 2004, not worth waiting for--right now, you're basically playing chicken with the dealers, seeing who's going to run out of inventory/patience first--we *still* haven't bought--got cold feet last weekend, and the navy/grey combination that Steve so correctly identified as associated with the War of Northern Aggression still bugs me...but we really should fish or cut bait in the next two weeks, I think...or of course wait for what happens in August. I've seen several hundred dollars under invoice (which is only fair, it represents a small portion of the depreciation on a car that's almost a year old)before the $2K, so that's decent.

Good luck!

And Steve, how sweet to start a prices paid page for the MPV LOL--sorry if I was any part cause of that...
    Thanks for all your insight on trailer hitches :(
  • bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    Don't take it personally, man. You'll find plenty of insight on trailer hitches on that "other" site, which you and I both frequent...:)

Basically it boils down to this:

1) Yes they bolt to the frame rails, located on either side of the rear seat well (not the fuel tank, which is located forward, underneath the driver's side 2nd row seat).

2) Available hitches that I know of include Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch and the OEM unit. Reese prolly makes one too. You'll need to specify either GFX or sans-GFX when ordering.

3) The OEM unit is class II, the aftermarket units are available in class II or class III.

4) You'll want class III for hauling bigger, heavier trailers with a weight-distributing hitch (puts load back on front drive wheels) or for a 2" receiver (bigger bike racks), otherwise, a class II is just fine.

5) Having bought a Draw-Tite and seen pictures of the Hidden Hitch, I'd definately go with the Hidden Hitch. Price is about the same, quality comparable, and the aesthetics are far superior. The Draw-Tite and OEM units are not pretty to look at, just functional.

6) We paid $250 installed through the dealer, which is a steal. Included wiring harness and brake controller (not needed if you just want to put a bike rack back there, of course). Hitches run $130 plus shipping over the web by themselves, but wiring harnesses are surprisingly expensive. Brake controllers run about $50 plus installation.

7) The MPV requires a special wiring harness, be careful not to mess up the vehicle's electronics.

8) If the dealer price hadn't been so aggressive, I'd have done it myself. The hitch is downright easy, and the the wiring harness is manageable so far as I know.

9) Unbraked trailer weight limit is 1000#, which pretty much eliminates everything short of the smallest U-Haul. If a trailer is in your future, plan on trailer brakes (but a boat would use surge brakes, which don't require a controller).

Hope this helps,

-brianV
    I have a few ESs that I located in the PNW for you. Here's a shortlist (and it's a short list):

Sage Green in Beaverton - They have only one
    Sage Green in Edmund(sp), WA - They have two

Midnight Blue in Hillsboro - I think you saw that one?

Black - None in OR or WA, but in N.Cali there are a couple.

I should have a comprehensive list of these in about 30mins. Here's where I'll step carefully (Steve), b/c I'm not promoting self or anyone else.. ;) Email me and I can give you the complete listing, so that you can check the models out yourself.
    check your e-mail :) -- we would definitely drive to CA for a black ES outfitted with power doors--I think almost everything else is negotiable if it's black :)
    That's the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks.
    Hauling a... fish, of course!

Maybe the big ones will start biting once the rain stops?

;-->

Steve, Host
    That's one big chum... chum...

The rain keeps the tourists away. ;)

<content> Uhhh, 150qt cooler fit in the van like a charm.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    I can now place a face on the one and only. What a beautiful part of the country.

Mark. : )
    Well, Mark... my <devilishly handsome> face does appear, ummm, on the internet. ;)
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    javadoc, great catch. Where were they caught? I have gone to the Pulaski river in N.Y. State salmon fishing during the annual run, lots of fun,lots of people, but very hard to catch. What's your secret?
  • tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    that Scott is only 3'4" tall, right? That would make the fish about 18-20" long...

LOL

TB
    It was the fisheye lens that did it.

Steve, Host
    If i had feelings, they'd be hurt, you two. Steve, my family invaders left last night... I sent them back to Iderho. Funny, it's sunny again here... go figure.. coincidence?

3'4"... I got yer 3'4"... ;) When's the f.i. conversion on your van happening? I'd be right behind you in line for that deal.

<content> I need to wash my MPV after the rainy weather of late.
  • rdworski1rdworski1 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks javadoc, I took your suggestion and offered invoice today to Russel Mazda in Ellicott City MD. The offer was accepted with no hassles.

I got an LX with

AC8 Rear AC CFC Free
    CDP CD Player
    FCP Floor And Cargo MAT Package
    FOG Fog Lights
    FOL Portfolio
    RBS Rear Bumper Step Plate
    RCK Roof Rack

for $19,561 including freight. Tax and title were of course extra. Still cannot believe I got a nice minivan for under 20k!
    Java, are they bringing fish? Maybe I'll hijack them at the airport since my very last pack of home caught Alaska salmon is thawing in the fridge today :-( Btw, I think Rutger3 is trying to snag a visit; better tell him where you caught those.

I looked for MPV news but there's nothing much out there. Anyone with topical questions, please feel free to jump in and holler.

Oh, f.i. conversion. Something's getting swapped out with the fuel injectors?

Steve, Host
    Not fuel injectors...a different f.i.

Oh, Rutger, that was a place called Bird Creek, AK, south of my house by a few minutes. Not my normal place, but it was all good, except you have to watch for bears, and the tide... man the tide comes in fast there. I didn't know that they had a steam-powered sawmill there at the turn of the (last) century, but read about it on a placard. I think you can maybe see the boiler stacks laying on the ground wayyyy back in the background.

Steve, yes, they're bringing (lots and lots of) fish back, but you'll have to intecept the FedEx guy, b/c they shipped it that way.

I'm sure <content> that there will be 2004 MPV specs out sometime soon... hopefully... I've got my fingers crossed...
    Btw Java (and Leslie if you check in from VT), I mentioned that y'all were looking forward to the August 20 trivia chat and the whole chat got dedicated to Vans. I'll twist Kirstie's arm to toss some questions into the mix.

Steve, Host
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    didn't you say those fish were bigger than that??? haha