Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Minivan Transmission Problems

Comments

• I have a 2002 town and country. The transmission slipped today so I checked the fluild. It was low so I told my son to add some. He ended up adding Type F instead of the ATF+4. He had added less than half a quart by the time I caught him. Is this going to cause me a major problem. I am planning on having the fluid changed, but I would like to wait until after Christmas. Should I change it ASAP?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Yup, change it ASAP, the Type-F has friction properties that are not correct for the Mopar transmission and can cause the computer to constantly engage/disengage various clutches trying to get things locked up the way the programming expects. This clutch work can (and often does) destroy transmissions in short order.
  • Hi there

I have a late 90's T&C Lxi and it got into an accident.
    While going 40miles an hour the van hit the curb and the bottom of the car was hit badly.
    After the car was towed to my drive way i looked at the damage and saw that the transmission sump and the hose running in front of it were hit and broke.( along with other minor parts)

Can someone tell me if its possible to change the sump itself without taking out the transmission and what hose is located in front of the sump (towards the bumper)

Id appreciate it very much if someone could help me out and explain it to me.
    Thanks
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    By transmission sump, I assume you mean the pan? If, so then the answer is yes, I'm certain the pan can be replaced without removing the transmission itself. That's the normal way to change out the tranny fluid and replace the filter - just drop the pan, catch all the fluid that comes out, replace the filter, put the pan back on (with a new gasket or sealant), and refill the tranny with the proper fluid.

I do not know what the hose is you're referring to. Our Grand Caravan is not at the house right now or I would crawl under and have a look.
  • thanks allot
    will defenitly get to work on it when i can.
    Im not at my place, so i dont have any of my tools to do the job so it wont be a job for this week.

The hose itself is completely torn and cant see where it leads too
    So if someone could still help me out with saying what it is and where i might be able to find a new one , would be very much appreciated.

thanks for the help
  • Have 136K miles and getting a shudder that feels like clutches slipping - no warning lights. Especially noticeable going uphill at low power in high gears (2K rpm at 40 mph). Fluid is full and correct, has been flushed/filled 3 times since i bought new, filter changed too. Any thoughts?
    Flushing your transmission is NOT RECOMMENDED by any manufacturer (including Chrysler). Why?

A) the reverse flow of the fluid during the process can (and often does) damage internal valve bodies and such,
    B) possible contamination from dirty fluid (many shops do not properly maintain the fluid in their flush machines), and
    C) the potential for the introduction of non ATF+4 fluid (in the case of your transmission) that WILL negatively impact the ability of your transmission to shift (due to the incorrect friction properties of the new fluid). Here again, many shops use "universal" ATF, a fluid that is "universal" only in the sense that it is universally bad for all transmissions.

I recommend you get whatever witch's brew of ATF out of your transmission by either dropping the pan and refilling with ATF+4 several times with say twenty or thirty miles of driving between each pan drop. As an alternative, if you have an oil extractor you can simply suck roughly a third of the ATF out of your tranny and then refill without having to drop the pan.
  • Drain & fill is what was done, at the dealership using ATF+4.
    Are you sure they used ATF+4? I ask because shudder is a very common complaint when the ATF has been contaminated with non-ATF+4 fluids.
  • It's a Dodge dealer, so I expect they would, but you never can tell. I think I'll have them do it again and see if that helps since it isn't hugely expensive. Been 6 months since last change and only recently started.
  • I have a 1999 Chrysler Town and Country that recently has been giving me issues. After starting it in the morning and throughout the day it will not shift into reverse or drive. I put it back into park or neutral and try again and it might go into gear. Also slowing down to a stop it will sometimes clunk before the vehicle stops. I am obviously worried about this since it is the only means of conveyance for my wife. Is there anything that I could do to help or fix this without taking it to a garage? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Decided to take shipo's advice - got an extractor and am cycling thru replacing with new ATF+4. Will advise....
  • my 2002 Grand caravan sport 3.3, 118700 miles on it was purchased 2 months ago. Since then it has following transmission problem. When i start it in morning and put it in drive, it will drive and shift ok. But when I will make first stop it wont grab first gear again. Only after pressing on accelerator and engine revs upto 3k to 3.5 k it would grab first gear with a harsh jerk. After that it will drive ok during that visit. all this will happen again after it rests for 6-8 hours again. Tranny fluid level is good. When I bought it , engine light had a code of P0700 among several others. I fixed other codes at that time and reset computer. No engine code since then even though this problem persisted. I have no idea about duration of this problem neither know what kind of fluid had been put in it in past. Fluid looks reddish and good, no smell.
    Wondering where to start. Someone suggested a TSB regarding "low reverse accumulator cover & o ring" but to me, it seems that TSB does not apply to 3.3 engines ! any help would be appreciated.
  • qdmazoqdmazo Posts: 1
    My cooling fan stayed on after shutoff. I pulled the fuse and drove for a week then transmission stopped working all of a sudden at an intersection. Cannot reverse and goes forward in jerks only with some noise below. Fluid is still red and does not smell. Is this an electrical or mechanical problem.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 58,847
    well hard to say but your transmission is cooled through your radiator, and the cooling fan keeps the radiator cool, sooooo......... :confuse:

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• ed0628ed0628 Posts: 1
    How many miles do you have on this vehicle? Has the tranny been serviced, i. e. , Oil changes, filter cleaned/replaced, Flushed?

Suggest you check the Dip Stick [engine running, in Park] for oil quantity. Wipe Stick with clean white cloth to check for Color of Oil [ pink preferred] .

If oil level is low, add ATF 4. If color is brown, it needs replacing. If color is black, a professional opinion may be needed to assess the risks of changing the oil.

Checking the tranny for computer codes and measuring the pump pressure to determine if internal leakages are present, may be necessary steps to take as part of the diagnoses.
    [ Tasks for transmission facilities ].

I wish you well with it,

ed0628
  • Hello All,

99 T&C Transmission issue. When driving to the store, the tranny just gave out like it was in neutral. I shifted back and forth from N to D and it finally caught again. It did that 10 times in 2 miles while trying to drive home. Is it dying on me? Or could a fluid change get us some more use out of this old friend? Thanks.
  • jr15jr15 Posts: 1
    My 2003 T&C van has an issue where the output shaft sensor on the transmission fails and needs replacement (Common problem from forums). Because output and corresponding input shaft sensors are < $20 I replaced both. Both are magnet type sensors and read <600 ohms.

Symptom is when sitting still speedometer fluctuates between 10 and 20 mph, making transmission think vehicle is moving and causing sensor fault.

This is the strange part, if I do not have anything electrical running (lights, heater turn signals) everything is fine and Speedo is at 0. If I turn on anything - Speedo starts fluctuating and I get failure.

I have replaced both sensors, Battery, and cleaned all connections connectors and terminals. When I put a DVM across battery I get 12.3 volts, crank engine and I get 14.5. When I induce failure I do not see any change from the 14.5 volt readings.

I wish the alternator wasn't $200 and I would replace it to see what happens, but not sure this is the issue? Any ideas on what I could try?
  • My uncle had a Manual from the factory it was only a 5 speed. When you had 8 passengers in it; it wouldn't go over 65 lol. It didn't have a turbo and I think that would have helped but it also didn't come with factory ac he went and had an after market installed and man you could tell when the compressor kicked in while driving down the road lol. Here is the link to a site that shows that they had one available it was rare mind you but they did make them.

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/12477-Any-manual-transmission-tu- rbo-vans-out-there