Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey Audio, iPod, Bluetooth, Video Questions

Comments

• Options
    red238402red238402 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, everyone, I'm new to this. I just bought a 04 Honda Odyssey EX w/DVD, I didn't even know until I brought it home that the DVD would only play through the wireless head phones, which it came with but my kids seem to hate to wear. Does anyone know a way that the DVD audio can play through the stereo speakers or any aftermarket gadgets that would play the DVD audio out load?. Many thanks to all........
  • Options
    odymikeodymike Member Posts: 23
    Sorry, that is not supported. I suspect that the dash CD player and XM radio use the same input at some point, so only one can be used at a time.

Not sure if this would work or not, but you could try loading the cd into the DVD player, select DVD for up front, and select XM in the rear.
  • Options
    red238402red238402 Member Posts: 2
    I had a polaroid brand in my trailblazer, it comes with the straps but can be used with the brackets (sold separate from manufacturer), but a great system, only thing is to hide the wires and cables I had to purchase extensions because the factory cables were just too short. I picked the system up at Walmart for about $200 plus another $20 in cables from radio shack, I just took the cables in and the guy matched them all up for me. Nice system though, 7 inch dual wide screen monitors and video game controller included. Not sure what the slide over brackets cost though....
  • Options
    rgartonrgarton Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the spec's on factory speakers for an 02 Odyssey LX? Not knowing the specs makes it hard to judge after market speakers' effect on overall sound quality. Frequency range? Frequency response? Dispersion? Sensitivity? Harmonic distortion? Nominal impedance?
  • Options
    household6household6 Member Posts: 5
    I am have bought (but not taken delivery of) a 2007 EX-L with RES and have not gotten any answer on how I am going to hook up my ipod or more importantly my Sirius radio. There do not seem to be any inputs in sight on the front of the radio and the service people at the dealership were not helpful. Should I just take out the new radio and put in one with an input on the front?

Any and all suggestions would be welcome!

-frustrated before I even have picked up the van!
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I don't have the RES, but I believe you can use the aux plug in the 3rd row(?), if you don't mind running wires. Replacing the stereo would be prohibatively expensive.

Look into a USA spec ipod adapter. I believe it will work with the RES system just fine (needs an adapter for the Navi/XM though).

Very slick unit. Has a dock plug for the ipod, so it charges too, and you can change songs with the stereo or steering wheel controls. Also has a set of RCA inputs that you can use for your Sirius.

I have one, and have my ipod and an XM roady hooked up, and it works great. I have it hidden in the middle (small) cubby, and you can even stuff the ipod in there with it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    rgc1265rgc1265 Member Posts: 10
    I have an '06 Honda Civic factory radio that plays MP3's. Does anyone know if I can put this radio into an '07 EX-L? My 2 concerns would be the radio controls lining up, and if I can still use the steering wheel controls for the new radio. Appreciate the help from anyone.
  • Options
    rthurlowrthurlow Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

We have had a 2004 Odyssey EX with the factory DVD entertainment
    system, and it's worked well for us - mostly. The drive seems a
    bit picky sometimes, even after a cleaning - it usually plays
    commercial DVDs, but sometimes has real problems with burned DVD-Rs.
    We fiddled with brands until we found that Fuji DVD-Rs worked best,
    but if the drive is in the wrong mood, it won't play, or will freeze
    regularly. I've been thinking about how much better modern drives
    are, and wondering what it would take to drop in a newer drive.
    I'd bet this is an ordinary IDE DVD drive (albeit a slot-loader),
    and that the two hardest things are figuring out which drive will
    work and doing the work to replace the drive (which a car stereo
    shop might be doing). Has anyone tried this, or been inside the
    dash enough to see what kind of drive is in there? :confuse:

Thanks,
    Rob T
  • Options
    rthurlowrthurlow Member Posts: 2
    Yes, the DVD player's audio can be played through the speakers. If you select 'DVD' on the main 'zone', that should do it.
  • Options
    odyarchitectodyarchitect Member Posts: 20
    Has anybody tried hooking up a PMP (video Ipod or similar) to play VIDEO along with audio? The tricky part is the video export of video out of the player (that's another conversation), but it would appear that you could do the same thing. Anybody hooked up their video Ipod this way?

I have been considering doing this to play digital videos instead of having to burn them onto a Video CD or DVD. Burned media is not reliable on the factory DVD.
  • Options
    We have a 06 EX-L with RES and NAV (and love it).

DIVX will not work to my knowledge (and I've tried several variations). I have many DIVX (digital video) files and have had varying degrees of success burning them onto Video CD and DVD media to play in the DVD player. We've had the best luck with Video CD's and converted AVI's to DVD (using Nero). Shrunk/copied/backup DVD's don't work reliably or consistently. Stock DVD player really only likes store-bought DVD's...

Video CD's: Play well (and are less expensive to burn), but sometimes video and audio gets out of sync. And when you turn off vehicle, they do not do NOT restart in the same spot. My children really notice this! Plus video CD's don't scrub (fast forward or reverse) at all.

Burning AVI's to DVD: Use Nero and this works pretty well. If you haven't done this, try. It's great for lots of reasons. You could burn many movies/videos on to 1 disk. Some DVD's skip but it hasn't been too bad (yet). At least the video restarts at the right point and does not get out of sync! And they scrub just fine.

FYI: Burned MP3's won't play in the CD player nor DVD. Must convert to conventional CD audio format (.cda). Tried that too...

Personally, I'm looking for a Portable Media Player (like a video Ipod) to plug in the rear auxillary jacks. Then I can just leave media behind altogether. I guess it's dumb luck that I don't own a MP3 player yet. I'm considering the Cowon A2 for this. It would even sit nicely in the front cupholders (which we don't use anyway) just below the other A/V controls. The tricky part is throwing the video. Video out on most PMP's causes the screen to go black (and no longer utilizes the audio out of the headphone jack. Thus you've got to combine the audio split out of the headphone jack with the apprpriate video outs. Get's tricky, but seems doable and all thru the auxillary jacks (no messing with the factory installation).

Again, does anybody know of someone who's connected a video Ipod to the rear auxillary jacks?

Or does anybody know of an after-market DVD player that can handle MP3, digital video, etc.?
  • Options
    ianoleianole Member Posts: 1
    I have the 2006 Odyssey EX-L with the factory installed Rear Entertainment System. I was wondering if it were possible to connect another video device to play through the rear mounted screen. I have a slingbox at home, and a mobile broadband connection that would allow my kids to watch tv on the road. Any suggestions.
  • Options
    We have a 2006 Odyssey EX-L with RES too.

Yes, you should be able to. But I am not familair with Slingbox and your mobile broadband connection. We have used a portable DVD player and mini-game systems. Just FYI, our portable DVD player is less temperamental than the stock Honda DVD player for burned media. Pretty much anything with RCA (red, white, & yellow) outputs will work. Switch it to AUX in front and you should be good to go. Of course you'll need to power the unit too...

I am considering a Portable Media Player (similar to the Video Ipod) and was wondering if anyone else had connected one for VIDEO (along with MP3 Audio). Please see links in my message above where others have connected their Ipods to these ports in the rear. Unfortunately, they seem to only talk about audio (MP3's) and not video. My question in the previous post is seeking anyone who may have hooked up video in this way. Was this successful? Did it work well?

On a related note, does anyone know of a (small, convenient) over-the-air antenna & tuner that would plug into these RCA jacks in the back to get live, broadcast TV?

Good luck with the slingbox and please post back about how the video works out.
  • Options
    nbkramer1nbkramer1 Member Posts: 7
    I am trying to find a way to attach an Ipod to the manufacturer installed radio system. My Odyssey does not have a RES system and I would like to either have it work through an Aux input of some sort or is their an old fashion CD that has a wire coming out of it to plug into the ear piece slot, like the old fashion way to add a Diskman to an only cassette style radio?
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    http://www.pie.net/pie_store/

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-auvtZP5jLl8/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=305250&I=581PA11HON&search=usa+spec+ipod+adapter

Several options if you checkout those sites. Essentially these plug into the back of your OEM stereo and use the AUX option on the stereo to play the ipod (or anything with use of different RCA/headphone jacks). I run one of these in my Tundra and it works great for my XM receiver.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    try USASPEC. They make a unit designed for the Ody (I have one). It has a plug for the bottom (not an earphone plug), so it also charges the ipod. Plus, you can control it from the stereo and steering wheel (change tracks at least). Very slick piece.

For less money, you can get a generic unit that just has RCA jacks, but they won't interface the stereo and the ipod.

Oh, the USASPEC unit also has a set of RCA inputs, so you can plug in a portable unit too. I have an XM roady hooked into mine, so I can flip between XM and Ipod withour unplugging either one. The roady does have to be pluged into the 12v outlet though.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    jacketfanjacketfan Member Posts: 3
    We are about to solicit quotes for an 07 Odyssey and I had an a/v question before we do. On the RES models, can you have radio playing in the front seat zone and DVD sound playing in the rear seats zone at the same time (without headphones)? My children like to watch movies but we prefer to listen to the radio in front while they listen to their movies in the back. They are still a bit young for the headphones. Can we do both? if not, we are going to go with the EXL model and use our portable DVD instead.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    Nope. We had the same problem. We used the portable DVD (which we had before the van) but the built-in is MUCH more convenient. We have 06 ODY EX-L with RES. I couldn't figure out a way to have competing speaker zones. I will be watching replies to see if anyone else has accomplished this.

At time of purchase last year, we negotiated as part of the sale 2 extra headphones (for a total of 4). When we picked up the van, the 2 extra headphones were not the same as the stock models. Initially this bothered me. They had fixed earpads and a manual on/off button. Quickly I realized these worked much better for our 2-year-old (the 6-year-old was fine). We could set the volume and hand the phones to him. Being fixed, they stayed on his head better (but not perfect).

Look into additional headphones that don't swivel and have manual on/off switch. Dealer should know. Or just wait a while - the kids grow up fast (and figure these things out fast too)!
  • Options
    No, the rear sound only pipes through the headphones. I'm not sure you'd want to listen to both, as you'd clearly still hear the rear sound up front. At least using the factory speakers. It's very obvious when you turn the rear speakers back on. Probably isn't as bothersome on a portable system.

We use our Ody mainly as a travel vehicle when the kids/grandkids are going somewhere with us. The 2yo won't wear the headphones, but she's content to just watch. I don't feel like we got our money's worth because the kids really don't ask to watch it much anyway. But we wanted the NAV/Backup/XM and Honda forces you into the RES if you want NAV.

If your kids are going to really use the RES a lot, then I'd say go with the OEM system. The integration can't be beat and the kids are just going to get older, ya know? But if you don't use it often or just on the occasional long trip, go portable just to save the $$.
  • Options
    Has anybody tried playing digital video through the auxillary inputs in the back of the RES and playing it on AUX? For example, has anybody tried hooking up their video Ipod to this and play video (not just audio)? If so I have a few questions:

- Was it successful?
    - Was it able to play widescreen (16x9 or wider) well?
    - Could you play a full-length movie?
    - Could you toggle between video and MP3 audio (no video)
    - Did you output audio via headphone or output jack?
    - Does the video on your Video Ipod (or PMP) go black?
  • Options
    ewheatleyewheatley Member Posts: 2
    Hi-

I have an '04 Odyssey, that until recently, was all good. About a week ago however, the radio (head unit) stopped working. Well, not so much the radio, but the speakers them self. The unit still powers on, and looks normal, however no sound of any kind comes out of the speakers.

We took it to the dealer, and they couldn't nail down the problem, but think that it is the head unit itself and have offered to replace it for the cost of the radio (about $160) and no labor charge.

This option appeals to me, because if it is not the radio, they will continue to diagnose the problem and hopefully fix.

However, I would rather upgrade the radio with something nicer if we are going through the issue of having it done anyway. Right now at Circuit City they are offering free installation on al lhead units.

So after all of this, sorry ;)
    Here are my questions-
    With my 98 civic, the key less entry ran through the radio, is the case with my 04 Ody?
    Would you recommend the upgrade route, or just let the dealer put in a factor radio?

thanks-
    Eric
  • Options
    gp07gp07 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought the odyssey (Saturday. I have owned all Toyotas so far and this is my first Honda. When the dealer was explining all the controles and features after all paperwork we noticed that DVD is not working. When we tried to insert DVD it did not pull itself in and Keep showing loading on the screen even when DVD is not in. This van had to be jump start for test drive. So it looks like Honda legacy contnues. Since it happend at the dealer, he asked me to bring it back on Monday to have it checked by the service department. :confuse:
  • Options
    pkirangipkirangi Member Posts: 29
    How do I set the RES source to DVD and front System to Radio? I could not understand the manual clearly.
    Can some one please explain? I have 07 odyssey with RES and Navi.
    Also is there a way I can just start the RES and not power the Front System?

Thanks
    PHK
  • Options
    More likely they did not prep the vehicle properly. This includes inserting a fuse for the DVD system. It's a common item to be overlooked. It's also very common to jump start vehicles on lots. Many are started numerous times and not let to idle long enough to recharge the system. Plus it's common for lights and such to be left on. Every dealer on the planet has a bank of battery boosters sitting at the ready.

This is our first Honda as well. It's not like our rock-solid 90's Toyotas.....but neither is Toyota these days. Had a few issues on the Odyssey but the dealer went above and beyond fixing them. The nearest Toyota dealer is like working with cave men.
  • Options
    It confused the heck out of me at first too, but now it's pretty easy. Not sure I can explain it here....so maybe just messing with it like I did would be the best bet. But I'll try.... On the lower radio unit, there is a power button in the top left corner. If you hold the top-left power button down for a couple seconds, it will beep and a symbol will light up on the display showing the rear sound off. This turns the rear speakers off, powers up the DVD (flip down the LCD), and allows separate control of front/back.
  • Options
    We have a 2006 EX-L with RES and NAV and should be the same as yours.

The center knob toggles between front and rear. Please note that you cannot have different audio in front and rear at the same time - can't have competing speakers. When toggle is utilized the rear seats have to be using headphones. No way to start RES without front system - they are one in the same. You can use RES with passengers in rear using headphones and thus turn the volume completely down. The headphones receive line-in output and have their own volume control. I do this all the time. Kids watch with headphones, parents talk up front (or listen to the radio).

The trick to the toggle is to remember that it's a bit like a universal remote. Make sure you're on the correct device before utilizing the buttons/making changes.

Good luck!
  • Options
    jgbluejgblue Member Posts: 1
    Ater plugging in an auxilliary plug in the aux. plug in the 2003 odyssey exl, the head unit of the radio went out. The DVD is not working either. I took it to the dealer and they said it needed a new radio head unit. Does anyone know if this is a common problem or do I really need to get a new radio or there is something else that I can check before spending the money. Or are there any other inexpensive places that I can get a radio without breaking the bank.

Thanks

JE
  • Options
    pkirangipkirangi Member Posts: 29
    Thanks sebring95/odyarchitect ,
    I finally was able to get it done yesterday evening with a bit of toying around. But looks like as, odyarchitect mentioned, the front system cannot be shutdown with the RES on.
  • Options
    graystricklandgraystrickland Member Posts: 51
    Something weird is going on with my 'O5 Odyssey EXL with RES and NAV. I am not getting any infrared wireless audio feed in the 2nd and 3rd rows when selecting DVD as the rear source. DVDs will play (visually) on the RES, but you can't *hear* the audio track on the *headphones.* You can only hear the dvds if you select them as the 1st row source (and then they play over the car speakers). If you switch the 2nd/3rd row source from DVD to Aux, Am, FM, XM or CD, the audio comes through on the headphones, so the infrared emitters and the headphones work fine. Only DVDs have no audio on the headphones.

Can anyone conceive of a reason why this would be so?

I had someone install today a USA-Spec iPod inteface which permits me to play my iPod through the AUX input of the headunit. You might think that this is the culprit, but that shouldn't cut off the 2nd/3rd row's ability to listen to the dvds, as before this installation, I used to play my iPod through a cable to the 3d row armrest inputs (which is AUX) and was able to select AUX for the front seats while the 2nd and 3rd rows could watch dvds and listen wirelessly using the infrared headphones. It's certainly possible that the USA-spec device was installed wrong, but the way it it advertised, it should not interfere with the operation of the dvd player -- and besides, we're only talking about the infrared headphones. I can't imagine what the USA-Spec device could possibly do which would cause the dvd audio not feed wirelessly to the headphones, while letting everything else feed wirelessly to the headphones.
  • Options
    Replying to my own message...

It *MUST* be the USA-Spec PA11-HON-2y iPod device, because:

1. The wireless infrared emitters and headphones do work for everything except dvds, so there is no wire or harness cut;

2. The three *output* jacks in the 3rd row armrest are identically afflicted. They have a good signal for wired headphones/earbuds on every source except dvd.

Somehow the USA-Spec device is cutting off audio to the rear, on both wired and wireless. If this is how the USA-Spec is *designed* to work, then I'm taking it back for a refund. One of the main reasons I bought this van was so that my kids could watch and listen to movies while I listen to something else! Now I'm facing an 8 hour drive listening to the kids' movies over the car speakers. Grrrrrrr....
  • Options
    greatdane2greatdane2 Member Posts: 1
    I am unable to get sound out of headphones plugged into the rear headphone jacks while watching a DVD. The wireless headphones work fine. What am I doing wrong?
  • Options
    sanjayasanjaya Member Posts: 1
    i just wanted some help. recently, with the res, the head phones unpredictably don't work. all i get is static. it happens intermittently and unpredictably, while watching or when we turn on the system. any idea of what the problem could be? i took it to the dealer, who suggested just replacing the system without an explanation.
  • Options
    I am unable to get sound out of headphones plugged into the rear headphone jacks while watching a DVD. The wireless headphones work fine. What am I doing wrong?

1. Have you adjusted the volume setting for each jack? There is a separate vol. control in the armrest for each jack.

2. Have you tested your wired headphones/earbuds on other equipment to verify it works?
  • Options
    i just wanted some help. recently, with the res, the head phones unpredictably don't work. all i get is static. it happens intermittently and unpredictably, while watching or when we turn on the system. any idea of what the problem could be? i took it to the dealer, who suggested just replacing the system without an explanation.

This happens when the batteries in the headphone get very run down. Try inserting fresh batteries and see if it still happens. Other than that, I haven't a clue.
  • Options
    purgasojpurgasoj Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 07 honda odyssey and the paperwork guy who tries to sell you all the extended warrenties told me that you should not use recorded dvd's in the dvd player on the odyssey because it can get stuck or lock up the entire system. He said that it had something to do with the movie companies getting together with the makers of the dvd player to stop people from burning dvd movies. I wanted to know if anyone else has heard of this, used dvd-r's in a 07 honda, and if it is ok to do so. I have an extensive collection of movies I burned for my daughter so that she would not ruin the original dvd's. Thanks
  • Options
    I just bought a 07 honda odyssey and [dealer]... told me that you should not use recorded dvd's in the dvd player on the odyssey because it can get stuck or lock up the entire system. He said that it had something to do with the movie companies getting together with the makers of the dvd player to stop people from burning dvd movies....

The idea that a recorded disc could get physically stuck (as in won't eject) is nonsense. All discs are the same size.

The idea that the system might freeze up or refuse to read a recorded disc is farfetched, yet possible -- but could be cured by simply ejecting the disc.

The idea that somehow a recorded disc could cause any lasting damage -- physically or electronically -- to the system is just bunk. I've played lots of recorded discs in my '05 Ody and never had so much as a hiccup.

FWIW... I make backup copies of all the kids' favorites and take the copies on the road. The cd and dvd are supposed to be a permanent form of media, but not in the hands of my children. I'm sick of replacing $20 Disney movies because one of my kids found a new way to destroy it. Better still, when I make a backup, I strip out all the previews, coming attractions, special features, FBI warnings, etc, so that when I pop it in, it just plays, because my kids are too young to read the screen and work the controls themselves. It's no fun to pull over to the shoulder just to figure out how to start the friggin movie because (sometimes) you have to *see* the rear screen to figure how to make the movie go. Backup copies are the way to go. Send me a PM if you want a suggestion on an way to make backups that's as easy as making toast.

SoonerLater
  • Options
    I have had DVD-R's stick/hang up in my 06 Ody EX-L w/RES. We too made copies of some of our movies and had varying degrees of success playing them in the van. On a few I made a custom printed labels (i.e. Avery) and THAT seemed to be the problem. The surface seemed to be too slippery for the eject mechanism (whatever physically pinches the disc). It would not grab it. After several repeatted tries, it finally ejected it. It took a few different discs for me to figure this out and this was definately the problem with the eject. From now on we use store bought DVD's (no problem with these) or burned media WITHOUT a labal and have had no more probelms with the eject. It's a good thing I have an architect's handwriting and lots of experience with sharpie markers...
  • Options
    ...On a few I made a custom printed labels (i.e. Avery) and THAT seemed to be the problem....It's a good thing I have an architect's handwriting and lots of experience with sharpie markers...

Ahh... I've never used labels. I buy blanks which have minimal factory writing/graphics on them (to maximize writable area) and just write the movie name with a sharpie.

...We too made copies of some of our movies and had varying degrees of success playing them in the van.

I've had 100% success playing movies in my '05 Ody made with with the combination of AnyDVD and CloneDVD. If you can successfully use a Xerox machine, you can just as easily make perfect dvd backups with those tools.
  • Options
    I tried DVDShrink (and had some done by a friend with 321Studios). Neither worked perfectly - well, 321 never worked. I have had better success at ripping to avi (well, encoding) and then reburn using Nero. Just the movie, not the full backup. Then I don't have to fuss with menus when I can't see the RES. One day the kids will be old enough to do this themselves, right?

I'll check out AnyDVD and CloneDVD. Thanks.
  • Options
    I have had better success at ripping to avi (well, encoding) and then reburn using Nero.

So you're going from mpeg2 original movie to AVI then back to mpeg2 copy? If so, that's an a~~load of work. If not, are you playing AVIs in the Ody?

FYI... AnyDVD and CloneDVD are sold by the same people, but do different things. I use them together.
  • Options
    Then I don't have to fuss with menus when I can't see the RES. One day the kids will be old enough to do this themselves, right?

I've purchased (but not yet installed) a ""GNET device"" for my '05 Ody. When installed, it will display the movie (or whatever otehr video source I chose) on the gps navigation screen in front. I won't drive with it on (for fear of killing us all), but it will let my wife work the dvd menus from the front passenger seat so she can start the movie without having to look at the RES.
  • Options
    I rip most of our media anyway and watch it digitally at home. Some video somes digital from the source, but that's another conversation. The burn from Nero is straightforward and again, the menus are gone which is good for the van.

Unless of course I hack the NAV screen, which is very tempting and has (of course) passenger benefits. But doesn't hacking the NAV just allow you to see DVD's? From what I understand the rear AUX ports won't play thru this unless you split the feed.

Did you get the backup camera to come on with a switch too? Does your gyro temporarily mess up when switching between DVD and NAV?
  • Options
    Unless of course I hack the NAV screen, which is very tempting and has (of course) passenger benefits.

I assume you mean front passenger benefits.

But doesn't hacking the NAV just allow you to see DVD's?
    From what I understand the rear AUX ports won't play thru this unless you split the feed.

Keep in mind that I haven't *installed* the GNET box yet, but it will accept two video feeds from any source. I plan to wire one to the dvd player and rig the other to a jack installed low on the dash (probably below what used to be the ashtrayinto which I can plug a video ipod, PS3, etc.

As for the rear AUX ports not playing through to the NAV screen, you could use the GNET to grab that input, but the GNET or some other sort of hack would definitely be required.

Did you get the backup camera to come on with a switch too?

I believe that the rear view camera is *always* ON, but (in the factory configuration) you only see an image when you're in reverse. By tapping the feed from the rearview camera into one of the inputs on the GNET, you could conceivably watch the rear camera on the NAV screen 24/7 -- by why would you want to?

When my GNET is installed, I *think* it will work like this:

-- Factory Mode
    -- Reverse gear: rearview camera
    -- Any other gear: NAV or Audio display

-- GNET Mode
    -- Video 1: dvd
    -- Video 2: video iPod, etc.

Does your gyro temporarily mess up when switching between DVD and NAV?

I can't answer until I install the GNET, but I've never had any other problems with the gyro before, so I expect none.

BTW... the reason why my GNET isn't istalled yet is that the installer ran out of time when installing my USA-Spec iPod input and *trying* to install the GNET. He couldn't find video feed from the dvd to tap and I forgot to bring my 2000 page Helm factory manual with all the circuit schematics. I plan to get it installed sometime next week.
  • Options
    calisteelcalisteel Member Posts: 22
    Hi All,

Something I found very strange and almost led me to get a Toyota was that the Odyssey did not play MP3 or WMA CD's. I was told that I would have to by and optional MP3 capable CD player. Well I had my kids bring one of there MP3 loaded CD's on the test drive and low and behold the 6 disk changer played the CD with MP3's on it. I thought it would even after reading the trim options as most modern CD players now all play MP3 files.

I find this strange that Honda would not know that the CD changer they install will indeed play MP3 and WMA files.

Anyone else notice this?
  • Options
    Yes, front passenger benefits. Passenger during drives. Driver while sitting still (of course).

AUX inputs. I understand. What kind of switch do you have to toggle this? 3-position: stock/aux/dvd?

Camera: Mostly, to observe a trailer or friend who might be following you. No biggie. Don't really want to view a tailgater anyway - would add to the frustration!

Gyro: When connected please post back about gyro. Others have said that NAV still works, but gyro momentarily screwy after switch back. Looks like you're driving sideways or backwards for a while, but your position stays accurate. Note, this is why I said Gyro and not GPS.

Thanks.
  • Options
    No, won't play MP3's in any variation. I highly recommend you search before you post. There's a lot of people who have previously discussed this.
  • Options
    I have to apologize. My daughter is smarter than me. Before the test drive and after telling her that I read that the Ody did not play MP3's She converted her MP3 CD and burned it into a .cda file not .mp3. So when I put the CD in during the test drive I assumed it was one of her MP3 CD's. Well she just told me that she had made a new CD from her MP3 CD and that she had converted the MP3 files to standard CD format or CDA.

Darn smart kids. She just helped out the sales man. He was even surprised when I put in the CD and it played.

Well at least I can have her convert all my MP3 CD's over to CDA's, all 150 of them. :blush:
  • Options
    Yes, coverted mp3 will play just fine (well, they're no longer mp3s). Sounds like your 150 will fit in the 6-disc changer so YOU will be OK. We do that a lot for our audio. A lot of people buy a 10' AV cord and hook their Ipods (or similar mp3 players) up to the AUX jacks in the rear. This is a simple, effective, non-invasive, low-cost way to hook up an mp3 player to your Ody. You just use the DVD/AUX button. You should be able to see the screen for audio.

I am trying to get more reports of people who do this and post results of the VIDEO playback on the RES. You can do that too. Most video mp3 players (portable media players) "throw" the video thus you cannot see what you are controlling from the mp3 player in the front seat. Of course I don't want the distraction of the video in the front for the driver anyway (but passenger would be nice).

I have little kids. We stick in a DVD and cannot see the screen to navigate the DVD's menus. If I had a nickel for how many times at a stoplight I stretched my neck back...
  • Options
    Thanks, I will try out the AUX port for my MP3 player. As for the video stuff I do agree that there should be a screen for the passenger but suspect that drivers would get distracted and have or cause accidents. I think this is a saftey issue.
  • Options
    Also regarding the menus of the DVD. Can you not just use the NAV in DVD mode to do this? On my 07 Ody I can switch the NAV screen into DVD mode (No video just controls) to play, stop, start, rew, cue, skip for the kids. I also have an option to turn off the rear controls keeping the kids in their seats.

The Nav screen in Audio mode is cool to as the XM channels and the FM/AM controls are much better than the knobs on the stereo itself.