Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    You need to drive some of these other auto Proteges to see for your self. Your issue is so delicate that it can be easily misunderstood.

As far as re-programming goes, I'm not sure that your vintage has the capability. It may require total replacement.
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    the Mazda Auto transaxle specifications call for:

Shift point...ZM.........FP
    CTP-> D3 -> D1.....7-10mph....8-11mph

mine does it at 0-3mph.

What does vintage mean?
    Can't they flash the program and put in the latest version?
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    It means the PCM in your car is too old. It's not made for the update that's out now. They would just have to replace the entire PCM. The car's still under warranty, so who cares?
  • Options
    when I got an Auto protege.
    I have driven Manual cars for 15 years.
    This ES is my first(and maybe last Auto).
  • Options
    I had forgot to post this before, but someone just started at my company at the beginning of this week. They have a black 02 Protege ES, same exact car I used to have, only 02 instead of 01.

I just went outside for something, and they parked right next to my car this morning, backed in like I did. It's like seeing both cars I had at the same time. Too funny. :0
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Anybody thought about winter tires yet?

I'm looking at:

Nokian NRW's.

I spoke to a service advisor at a local tire shop (Kal-Tire) and he told me that this tire is an "all-weather" tire. Not only is it great in winter conditions (it has the Mountain/Snowflake designation) it performs excellently in dry conditions (H-rated). It comes in the P195/55 R15 that my Pro needs too. He said they have a 100, 000 km warranty (not sure what exactly is warrantied though).

Basically, he told me that I could use the tires all year long (ie. not switching to summers again).

I'm looking on the net for info, but just curious if anybody has any experience with this?

Thanks.
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    sounds like those are all seasons. Do you want all seasons, or winter tires?
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    I've only heard good things about them!

Todd, these are indeed "All Weather" tires. They work great in winter (comparable to snow tires) and are pretty impressive the rest of the year as well. Somewhat noisier than other tires though. Try the Tires forum here at edmunds, or hit epinions.com. I remember coming across them during my tire-hunt last month!

Great prices as well!
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    We knew that dealers would gouge. If I get this new job with its healthy increase in pay, I will consider selling the Pro and moving on to ... ?

Possibly the MS Pro. But I 200% refuse to pay any more than MSRP. I don't care if it is limited production. I'll pass on it and spend the same amount on a WRX wagon. It's a matter of principle - of not feeding the greed thus further encouraging it, probably making it even worse.

Yeah, sure, its a free market and they will ask what the market will bear, and they will probably sell them all even at inflated prices, but that doesn't mean I have to play that game. If everyone refused to play, fair market prices would reflect that and dealers would have to settle for a price that is fair for both parties. Imagine that. Oh well.
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    They are what they call "all-weather". They meet the requirement to obtain the "snowflake" symbol that designates winter tires, yet they offer excellent dry conditions as well.

I was looking at just winters (ie. Arctic Alpins, Blizzaks, etc.) but the advisor suggested these.

I was going to post over on the tires section here at Edmunds, but the traffic flow here is MUCH higher and I figured I could get more input from here.

I'm probably going to get these anyway, but was just curious if any of my fellow Pro-owners could offer any insight.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Go Angels!
  • Options
    DSM, this is the same reason that 1BR apartments right here in DC that are 900 square feet are going for $1250 a month!

I am sure alot of people would pay above MSRP to have one. I, for one, have trouble paying much over dealer invoice for a car. I got my Protege (under the EAA/S-Plan deal) for under invoice. For the VW, it was $600 over, which was not too bad. But never MSRP.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Just came back from school and checked the speedo for you.

When slowing down to a stop, the speedo needle drops greadually in a continuous motion all the way to 0. It doesn't stumble or stop (even momentarily) around 10mph.

Did that help?

Dinu
  • Options
    Go Angels!
  • Options
    tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    I'm about to order tires. I would like to get 205/55-15 instead of the the stock 195/55-15. Has anyone done this? Have you had any interference problems? Tirerack doesn't recommend the change, put the sales person admitted that they are quite conservative.
  • Options
    panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    Hey, they have rebates on jettas out here in California. I would never pay over invoice for a jetta.
  • Options
    http://www.miata.net/cgi-bin/tirescgi

205/50-15 and 205/55-15 lead to around 1.8% error (different directions - one is +ve, the other -ve).

Well within speedometer accuracy specs of 5% to 10%, he he!

Go for it, more choices in that size, more comfy/cushy ride. And they'll last 1.75% longer, less revs per mile!

• Options
    I like the less revs/mile because it will reduce my cruising engine rpm's a bit. But there is the potential of rubbing fender walls or suspension parts.
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    >>>I like the less revs/mile because it will reduce my cruising engine rpm's a bit.<<<

3931 instead of 4000rpm. But that assumes that you cruising with the same speed. But how do you know it?

>>>But there is the potential of rubbing fender walls or suspension parts. <<<

Probably not, the MP3 has even much bigger tires. The later sure has a stiffer suspension, but I don't think the deflection length is shorter (?), please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bruno
  • Options
    the dunlop 9000's @205/45-17 have a width of 8.1" and diameter of 24.1".
    the bridgestone s-o3's @205/55/15 are 8.4" and 23.9".

close, but....

the rpm reduction would be small, but over many thousand miles, it adds up.
  • Options
    isn't that 205 is the width in mm (=8.0709")
  • Options
    >>> the rpm reduction would be small, but over many thousand miles, it adds up. <<<

After changing to a bigger tire, the tachometer will indicate exactly the same number than before providing the driver uses the cruising speed read on the speedometer. The later however is now under read: you go actually faster than what is indicated... watch out the cops.
  • Options
    It drops the accuracy of your speedo, but not the tachometer. The tachometer is measuring engine revs.

Yes, the engine will rev a tiny bit slower for a given 'true' (as opposed to 'indicated') speed the car moves at, but it is intangible, and I doubt it'll "add up" in the form of reduced wear on your engine, or tires (realistically!). The fact that your wheel-rotations per rpm, in a given gear, are not factory standard, may be equivalently detrimental to the engine as well! Also, if you're driving in a high-speed zone, and speeding a bit, bear in mind that you will now be speeding a bit more ;)

With all that said, and calculated, just go for it - its a tiny error that won't affect anything enough to damage anything or make you notice!
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    meinrad and Meadeball:

>>>Then why the hell did people like those you're describing (I hope it's not YOU) buy PROTEGES? They sound like appliance-car owners and should be in Cavaliers and Corollas.<<<

Appliance driver: There are times you want to drive an appliance and times you want to drive a road toy. It doesn't mean you don't like to drive. I have had many 4-speed and 5-speed small cars: 1938 Willis (guess what that became), 1951 Morris Minor, 1949 Plymouth 3-speed, 1960 VW Beetle, 1959 VW Squareback, 1968 VW Beetle, 1971 Toyota Corona, 1974 Audi Fox, 1975 BMW 2002 (became the 3-series),1976 Audi Fox, 1977 Audi Fox, 1981 Mazda GLC, 1986 Honda Accord, and 1994 Civic.

I gave up shifting for myself, in 1997, because I got tired of it. If you can shift so passengers can not tell it's a manual -- fine! But when you play boy racer when carrying passengers don't expect them to appreciate your skills. They won't!

A good driver can make any manual-equiped car feel no different than an AT version.

Look at people today, drivers tooling along with cellphones held to their ears, and what happens when they get to a traffic light and have to shift gears? I kept an eye on a teenage girl in a Civic following too closely behind me, chatting away. I slowed for a light, she shifted hands with the phone and then shifted the gears, NO HANDS on the wheel! What if I had had to make a panic stop? Her conversation would have ended with a BANG!

Cellphones, CDs, tapes, too many buttons on the audio head, and having to shift at the same time!! Where's the FUN in that? Getting to ride in an ambulance?

fowler3

P.S. 1938 Willis (guess what that became) By 1941, the Willis platform became the now famous Jeep of WW II. In 1938, it was a 4-banger, 2-door with a nose much like today's PT Cruiser. Same radius-cornered windows, the floor was plywood, and the speedo was in the center of the dash Echo-style. So what else is new?
  • Options
    "But when you play boy racer when carrying passengers don't expect them to appreciate your skills"

It depends on who your passengers are. My friends love riding in my car. That's why the "holy crap!" handles are so sturdy.
  • Options
    jeffy729jeffy729 Member Posts: 45
    Hi Tom. I know Tirerack.com recommends 205/50/15 as the plus zero application, but Tires.com (Discount Tires) recommends 205/55/15 as the plus zero application. I think you'd be fine going with that size.
  • Options
    jeffy729jeffy729 Member Posts: 45
    This is kind of a neat little tool to figure out what will happen with various non-stock tire sizes.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
  • Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    "Add to that lower maintenance costs (no spendy fluid changes)"

I'll bet the cost of replacement clutches on manual transmissions will (on average) far exceed the cost of fluid changes on automatic transmissions.

I thoroughly enjoy driving my AT Protege, and I believe my driving focus is enhanced by not having to constantly shift gears (just my personal belief).
  • Options
    each tire model seems to run a bit different in size.Some, like the kumho supra 712 run smaller than stated size. Others like dunlop 5000 and bridgestone s0-3 run larger. I guess it's like shoes: size nine in one brand is not the same as size nine in another.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    JIM made an appearance!

Meade
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Yeah, that's something like twice in the past few weeks!

At least we know there are not buzzards circling his house!
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Tom,

If the folks at TireRack don't recommend the size change, it may be due to the width of your wheels. My Mazda wheels are 16x6, so I couldn't really go wider than 195 without making the tires a little balloonish. You could compensate for this some by going with a higher speed/load rating than what you have now which would give you a stiffer sidewall, but it would seem to me to potentially change the handling dynamics. I do not think rubbing would be an issue with that small a change. The MP3 and the ES have a narrower track than the LX/DX, so you can't directly compare tire sizes when considering rubbing.

195 or 205 refers to the section width, the widest portion of the tire from sidewall to sidewall. If you look at my tires (Toyo Proxes T1-S), the optimal rim width for a 205/50R15 or 205/55R15 tire is 6.5 inches. However, it will fit on anything from 5.5-7.5 inches, but it won't be as optimal as on a 6.5 inch wide rim. A 195/55R15 tire fits optimally on a 6 inch wide rim in my tires. I believe Mazda mostly puts 15x6 rims on non-ES Proteges. TireRack or your Mazda service center could tell you for sure. When you are considering what tire to buy, check out the specs and make sure it will fit width-wise.
  • Options
    "I'll bet the cost of replacement clutches on manual transmissions will (on average) far exceed the cost of fluid changes on automatic transmissions."

When I worked at Jiffy Lube, it was $80 for an automatic transmission fluid change (100% change). You can't just drain all of the fluid out of an automatic transmission, you need a machine to do that. I can change my fluid in my garage and get all of the fluid out without a machine, and even if I didn't, it would still be about $50 cheaper at Jiffy Lube. Dealer prices would probably be even more expensive. Besides, I've never replaced a clutch in any of my cars, one of which being a Mazda 626 Turbo with 144,000 miles when I sold it. I don't think I'll even still have my Protege when it has that many miles.
  • Options
    edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    The problems began when I ran off the road in my 99LE and slid backwards over the shoulder. Bent the rear axle That was followed by cylinder head jobs (2),cracked exhaust manifold, problems with the gear shift when idiot mechanics pulled the key out with the trans locked.Finally I had water leaks in that internal water pump. When it quit one day, I parked it in my driveway, refusing to spend any more and finally sold it for salvage. I found out at the end all it needed was a fuel pump. I guess I spent around 1500 without any return in those last days. Saab was the innovative co. about the first with fwd, first hatchback, turbo, asbestos-free pads,fuel injection. Think of it 4 wheel discs on the 74. And that back seat - big enough for three. As for using it, I guess I could have done push ups to impress the passers by (a la Rodney Dangerfield)lol
  • Options
    riopelleriopelle Member Posts: 132
    Hi All,

15 trouble free months with my P5 so far, except the housing to the moonroof controls has begun to rattle incessantly. The shop can calm the rattle a bit, but Boston roads shake it back into action in no time. Any thoughts, suggestions, similar problems out there? I'm hoping someone knows something my Mazda shop doesn't. Thanks.
  • Options
  • Options
    That's what I did with my car, and the second one found the problem and fixed it.
  • Options
    everyone is today?

Working perhaps? Nonsense!

Dinu
  • Options
    your speedo reading did help.
    now while ur at it, did u notice at what speed did the AT shift into 1st gear while coming to a stop?
  • Options
  • Options
    snagy1snagy1 Member Posts: 55
    hi again, any suggestions on cleaning the sliding sunscreen by the moonroof. does the moonroof tilt up so that i can clean all the dust and krud out ?

thanks
  • Options
    The moonroof does tilt up, but you probably won't be able to fit your hand in there.
  • Options
    yeah, i tried to squeeze a moist towel up there and can't reach much, was hoping someone else has a dirty sunscreen. the dealer never had a request of this. i was going to try compressed air and see what that does.
  • Options
    Do you mean the inside of the sunshade? Who cares if it's dirty, no one sees it anyway...
  • Options
    maybe my sunroof is not tinted as much as others, cause it is visible real easy. there's dust and dead bee's and just junk in general from having the sunroof open.
  • Options
    The Protege's sunroof is not tinted dark, it's tinted as much as the side glass is. This makes no sense to me, because one would think you would want the sunroof tinted darker to keep out heat and UV rays.

They leave it clear so they can call it a "moonroof", measning you can see through it.
  • Options
    mine appears to be pretty clear. when i have the sunroof in the tilt position which is what i normally do at highway speeds, i can easily see the junk i am trying to get rid of. i just realized i might be able to use a "computer shop vac" from our office, it has a small attachment and a 2 foot hose which should work.
  • Options
    take the car with the sunroof and windows open to a carwash :)

Inside joke - sorry Dale! It was too easy.

Dinu
  • Options
    Even if you opened the sunroof, the shade would be in the roof, so it wouldn't help. :0
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I've noticed that the sunroof in my 02 SI is tinted darker than almost any other car I've had. Or maybe I just haven't paid close enough attention to the other sunroofs. It does make a difference though .. it's not nearly as hot inside the car if I forget to close the sunroof shade.

Since the 04 Protege's are only about 9-10 months away are there any prelim stats on them?