Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    "EX: ADDS to LX... a 127-HP engine, antilock brakes, alloy wheels."

EX also adds a moonroof. My 94 also added upgraded cloth interior and beefier suspension. I'm not sure if the 05s still do that. In 94 the EX was the only way to get factory-installed air conditioning, which thankfully, has changed in more recent incarnations.

Gogiboy
  • amoviefan1amoviefan1 Member Posts: 24
    Thanks, Gogiboy.
    I did forget the power moonroof.
    I own a Honda Civic EX and I'm glad I got it instead of the LX. The extra features were all worth it for me.
  • acuraman15acuraman15 Member Posts: 39
    I just purchased a LX 2 door coupe instead of the VP. I am so glad I got the LX with the power windows. It was worth the extra money to me. My first impressions of the car after about a week are...... great car, very smooth ride and awesome gas mileage.
  • plat3plat3 Member Posts: 1
    Seems like pricing is getting more aggressive. Just got (06/13) a 2005 Civic Coupe A/T LX Special Edition (Alloys, 6 disc Cd, Spoiler) for $15,000 plus Tax & License. Total was $16,410 out the door in the SF Bay area.
  • zebzeb Member Posts: 57
    Hi there,

I am in the early stages of doing my research, but I have received 3 quotes online and wondered how this sounded:

2005 Civic Sedan, Manual Transmission, side air bags:
    $14,513.00
    documentation fee of $99.00
    6% tax of $876.72
    plate fees of ???
    Total = $15,488.72

The other two quotes were similar, as was Costco's car buying service. Seems the slightly used cars are about as much as a new one - never bought new before - hate dealing with car dealerships. Is this online stuff really as easy as it seems?!

Also - does anyone know if the 2006's are going to be *that* much different? And, is it best to wait till mid September to buy a 2005, or is now just as good?

Thanks - this is a wonderful resource - bless the internet! :)
  • carshopper12carshopper12 Member Posts: 7
    I have negotiated a deal in Boston area for Civic LX automatic 4-dr for $14200, plus sales tax etc. Is this a good price? I plan to buy in next 4-5 days.

carshopper12
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Hi there,

I am in the early stages of doing my research, but I have received 3 quotes online and wondered how this sounded:

2005 Civic Sedan, Manual Transmission, side air bags:
    $14,513.00
    documentation fee of $99.00
    6% tax of $876.72
    plate fees of ???
    Total = $15,488.72

The other two quotes were similar, as was Costco's car buying service. Seems the slightly used cars are about as much as a new one - never bought new before - hate dealing with car dealerships. Is this online stuff really as easy as it seems?!

Also - does anyone know if the 2006's are going to be *that* much different? And, is it best to wait till mid September to buy a 2005, or is now just as good?

Thanks - this is a wonderful resource - bless the internet!

Is it DX, VP, LX, EX??????

If you can wait until the new ones come out, the current ones will have greater discounts.
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    zeb,

No matter what model of the Civic you plan on buying you should be able to get it for invoice minus $500 bucks easy. In fact, I would venture to say you could get $700 below invoice without to much fuss....

The 2006 Civics will be a complete redesign and will be out in early September...
    if you want until then you selection will be vastly decreased as far as color and availability...the factory's are retooling right now to start production on the updated civic...my guess is they will be up and running by the end of July....so whatever cars are in the pipeline now are the ones you are going to get deals on.
    When the new ones come out don't expect any good prices on those until a couple of months after the release...
    You can go to the Honda website and put in a request for internet quotes from the various dealers in your area...after that just sit back and wait for the responses on your request...trust me...they will start coming back within 10 minutes after they get them....you can do everything by internet...set the price...make financing arrangements if need be...the whole nine yards...
    Just remember...your the consumer...you hold the cards ($$$ I mean)...make them earn your business!!!
    Good Luck!!
    That's not a very good price for an LX...
    You should be able to get it for no more than $14,900...or even cheaper!!
    That's about $500-$600 below invoice...which is the norm for that car...
    Make them a counter offer...they'll come around to your price...
  • zebzeb Member Posts: 57
    Sorry - it was in the title of my post but I neglected to include in the body. It's an LX.

I've heard conflicting ideas on the 'wait till the new models come out' - seems you can either get a great bargain (when is this exactly, September?), or it's not worth it because you basically then have an already 1-year old car. So many decisions!
    Thanks!
  • carshopper12carshopper12 Member Posts: 7
    14200 is for a new 2005 LX 4-door automatic without side air bags in Boston area.
    Do I understand correctly that this is not a good price? This is the best after several rounds of negotiations.

carshopper12
    carshopper12,

14,200 is a good deal for an 2005 Civic LX Sedan Auto...if my calcualtions are correct...that is about $1400 below invoice...assuming we are talking about a 2005 LX Sedan, Auto, Civic....you might want to jump all over that one...
    Make sure you ask the dealer if that price include destination charges....or better yet just ask them if that is the price plus TTL.
    What part of the country do you live in?
    Thanks

mldj98
  • moorejwmmoorejwm Member Posts: 9
    What are people paying for a new 2005 Si?

We have been offered $500 below invoice with 1.9% financing for 36mo. Have you been able to do better?

Are the any special Honda to dealer incentives to know about?

Thanks!
  • jamiecurtis3jamiecurtis3 Member Posts: 1
    Take a peek at the below Internet quote, it seems like a very sound offer...

Below you will find inventory information, a price quote and a lease quote for the vehicle you selected online.

Year: 2005
    Make: Honda
    Model: Civic Sedan
    Trim: LX Auto
    In Stock: Yes
    MSRP: $16,925
    *e-Discount: $1,894
    June Savings: $500
    *e-Price: $14,531

36month/36,000mile lease- $192.81/month plus tax**

*The ***** Honda e-Price is available ONLY to customers who print this quote and contact the Internet Sales Dept. for an appointment before visiting the showroom.

*e-Price does not include sales tax, registration or the $89 service fees, but DOES include the $515 factory destination charge (some dealerships add this later – make sure to ask!) **Lease quote calculated with no money down, just first monthly payment, registration fees and services fee due at signing. Security deposit waived with approved credit. No tax included in payment. Lease quote subject to credit approval.

*Limited time pricing and lease quote valid on in stock units thru 6/30/2005. Delivery must be taken by 6/30/2005.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    The last day of March, this year, I purchased a Honda Civic VP. I am not sure what the next level up is, but what is the difference between the VP and the next level up?
    temj12,

The next level up would be the LX...
    This would add the following:

Power Windows
    Power Door Locks
    Cruise Control
    Keyless Remote Entry

I think it's actually the best selling line of the Civic...
    It is truely a great car!

Mike
    Sorry - it was in the title of my post but I neglected to include in the body. It's an LX.

I've heard conflicting ideas on the 'wait till the new models come out' - seems you can either get a great bargain (when is this exactly, September?), or it's not worth it because you basically then have an already 1-year old car. So many decisions!
    Thanks!

Sorry, didn;t see the header. If you can wait, wait. The dealer will be more willing to get rid of the old stock. Plus Honda may give them some incentive to unload the cars. This will be the year to buy at a great discount, everyone else will want the new, significantly redesigned model, and won't even look at 1 year old car. You are right about it being 1 year old, but don;t forget that when you sell it, it will have 1 year less of miles on it. It is as one year old now as it will be 1 year old in September of this year. It would have only made a difference if you bought a 2005 model last fall. So, when you sell it in 5 years, it will be a 5 year old car with 4 years worth of miles (12,000/year). Compare the prices on 5 year old Civic with 60,000 miles and 48,000 miles. I still think you will win out by buying in September. I would say whatever best price you get now, it should be at least $1500 less, plus Hond may offer special financing on them.

My previous car, was a Civic Si, it was a 2002 model, that I bought in January of 2003, new. The MSRP on that was $19,500, I paid $14,500, paid taxes out of pocket and financed the rest at 1.9%. I just traded her in for $12,500. I basically paid $2000 for 2.25 years of very hard driving. $2000/27 months = $74/month, it cost me $74 a month to drive it!!! It was a 3 year old car (model year) with 15,000 miles (2.25 years worth of driving), which brought the value higher than a 36,000 mile car would have.
    Thanks for your reply.
  • jhouserjhouser Member Posts: 2
    Which is the better deal? The LX has most everything a person needs, the EX adds some horsepower. Has anyone had any negatives on the LX horsepower and how does it affect gas milage?
  • jhouserjhouser Member Posts: 2
    http://www.hondapreview.com/civic/

You might want to try this web site. Honda is going for a sleeker younger look in the 2006 Civic. I am not sure that it is good or bad, but slightly different :blush:
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I know your advise is well intensioned...but...

A Civic LX 5 speed with side airbags is a VERY rare find and I think the shopper will be lucky to find one at all. If they wait as you suggest, forget it.

5 speeds aren't that popular compared to the automatics and the side air bag availability has been very slim. Most shoppers don't seem to care about them.

On the other hand, if a dealer has three of these slow sellers sitting on his lot, right NOW would be a great time to strike a deal!
  • jaa37jaa37 Member Posts: 67
    I went with the EX because I really wanted ABS, although the moonroof was a nice addition. I didn't care as much about the HP, but I test-drove the LX as well and thought the EX had noticeably better pickup. But that may have been my imagination.
  • nash123nash123 Member Posts: 82
    I am in the market for the above. I live in Chicago. I'll do Some shopping around but what was the best deal anybody's got on it?

thanks.
  • thatscool19thatscool19 Member Posts: 1
    i payed $12,300+tax for my 2005 honda civic coupe vp. did i get a good deal?
  • bluelotusbluelotus Member Posts: 6
    I was offered $16,063 today by a dealer for the same Civic EX 4DR AUTO W/ FR SIDE AIRBAGS, this price includes the freight, I need to pay the tax, tag, and $100 processing too. Did not take it.
    I am pretty sure you can lower down this price easily, since the manager tried to grab me back...
    Bluelotus,

I sent online quote requests to the dealers in Chicago. The best they came with was $400.00 below invoice (approx $16,560) plus taxes and fees, good until the end of June. Wonder if it will go down a bit more after the 1st of July. Don't know what the processing/doc fees are yet.
  • jiimmmjiimmm Member Posts: 15
    I think so. This is a great little car. I bought one a couple of weeks ago for $12,175. It's comfortable, peppy and a HONDA. Add in the terrific gas mileage and I think you got a excellent overall car for $700 UNDER invoice.
    By the way, I am looking for the dark blue color. The dealer told me that it is a very (!) rare color in Chicago. He was probably telling me that just to jack up the price. My other option is Silver. Any thoughts?
    I am also considering the corolla LE + side air bags + ABS, the best offer I have received is $14,600 (including the rebates), seems easier to get a good deal.
    I personally like Civic more than Corolla, but if the price is $1500 higher for the same options, I may go to Corolla.
  • bridgebridge Member Posts: 1
    Getting ready to finalize a deal on a 2005 Civic LX---- out the door price including EVERYTHING is 15,500. I think I did my homework but you always wonder what if any hidden incentives are available to the dealerships.
    BL,

I've always thought that Corolla's are boring, but you got a point there. I really like the Moonroof and cruise control, and if I can find that car cheaper than the Civic EX, I might consider the LE. Thanks for the idea.
  • wajawaja Member Posts: 1
    Corolla is about the same price on each similar trim level as the civic but does give you a lot more horsepower for your $$. But I myself prefer the civic due to it's better fuel economy and more sporty design. I am curious however, exactly how much better the gas mileage the civic has over the corolla since an honest, non partisan example is hard to find, anyone? Thanks
    I test drove a Corolla LE today. At the dealership when I sat in the car, it looked better and more comfortable than I thought. But I gotta say when we hit the road, I was not very impressed with the ride, although the engine was more powerful than the Civic EX (or at least that's what I thought). I also thought that the interior is made of good quality materials but when you press the buttons for the stereo system or turn the dials for vent & A/C control, it felt cheap. I think the Civic is a more refined car than the Corolla, it has a character. The salesgirl suggested that an LE with my preferred options package would be around $18K and she was willing to work on the price, but even if she gave me a $3K discount, that would still be around the cost of a Civic EX, and I would prefer to get a Civic.

I guess the only way that I would buy a Corolla is if I could get a SRX(?) the 170hp 6sp version, but they said they do not have any of those in the Chicago (and Indiana) area and no way that I can test drive one.

So back to square one, being a loyal Civic owner again.
  • puffidredzpuffidredz Member Posts: 2
    There is a 02 Honda Civic HX I am possibly interested in buying. I checked Edmunds and it says that the Dealer Retail price is $9910. The dealership is selling it for $15,453 which I think is wayyy out there. The car looks immaculate besides a few dings on the hood and the driver door. The engine is clean. Wheels excellent. Handlin superior, inside clean and no damage. Basically other than the few dings I mentioned, the car looks like its brand spanking new however the mileage on it is high; @ 68,511. So I did the Edmunds TMV check and it priced it at $9910. Does that mean I should ask for that pricing or can I wiggle between the dealership price and the $9910?

Thanks,
    Please reply ASAP because I am going today to look at the car.
    There is a 02 Honda Civic HX I am possibly interested in buying. I checked Edmunds and it says that the Dealer Retail price is $9910. The dealership is selling it for $15,453 which I think is wayyy out there. The car looks immaculate besides a few dings on the hood and the driver door. The engine is clean. Wheels excellent. Handlin superior, inside clean and no damage. Basically other than the few dings I mentioned, the car looks like its brand spanking new however the mileage on it is high; 68,511. So I did the Edmunds TMV check and it priced it at $9910. Does that mean I should ask for that pricing or can I wiggle between the dealership price and the $9910?

Thanks,
    Please reply ASAP because I am going today to look at the car.

They must be on DRUGS!!!. New HX did not cost that much!! I would either low ball them at $8000, or find another dealer with a similar car. Do you have to have HX? There are tons of LX's and EX's around. Is the HX auto? If so, it has a CVT instead of regular auto. The engine uses VTEC-E, instead of regular VTEC. It is your typical fuel miser car.
  • htownpimp786htownpimp786 Member Posts: 80
    Just got a Deal on a 2005 Honda Civic......in Houston, Texas.

Wanted to see what yall think?

2005 Honda Civic Automatic LXSE 4 door Sedan

MSRP: 17,575
    Invoice: 16,107

My price on the car was 15,225.....plus TTL.

If i wanted the 2 door one he would have got one for me from another dealership for 15,100.

The OTD price was 16424.99....we financed through Honda....and got 3.9% for 60 months.....4300 down.......222 a month for owning the car. the LXSE comes with a spoiler, leather steering wheel, 6 speaker mp3 6 disk in dash cd changer, and sport alloy wheels! The dealership's manager dealt with me directly and he was great.....the finance department couldnt beleive the price! Let me know if its a good deal! Thanks
  • suicycossuicycos Member Posts: 3
    I paid $16,292 + TAX/LIC with the protection package (trunk tray, wheel locks, and splash guards), door edge guards, and all 5 windows tinted. 3 other dealers ended up saying they couldn't do it.... So I think it was a good deal...
    I bought my car yesterday!
    Civic EX 4 Dr, auto w/front side airbags
    MSRP: $19,075
    Invoice: $17,475
    Final price: $15,360 (including destination)

+ tax, tag and other fee
    OTD: 16.4K
    did financing for 1.9% 36 months.

Dealer also put the mud guard, wheel locks and some other appearance packages for free.
    I think it is a good deal.
    Last day of June, seems like the dealers desperated to sell the car.
    I finally chose Honda Civic EX + front side airbags instead of the Corolla LE + options.
    The reasons:
    1. I drove corolla, and I don't like it, don't know how to express the feeling, just don't like it as much as Civic.
    2. The corolla dealer offered me a great price...., you know when I finally visited him, he told me that if I get the rebate, I can not do the special finance,...blah, blah, it ends up like $800 more than his offer...I just left. Honda CIVIC EX finally offered me $3715 below the MSRP, great deal! Besides, the car has alloy wheels, moonroof, ....although I don't care so much, good to have them.
    3. One of my best friends think I will look like 20 years older when I first told him I wanted to get a corolla. ^_^
    By the way I am in California-LA area. What is the average price in the los angeles area?
    bluelotus,

I think it is a great price. Glad it worked out for you. Which dealer was this?
    Also, if you do not mind me asking, how much (approx) your downpayment was, I do not know if it makes any difference if you put in too much or too little, but would be good to know.

What color is the car? Is it the color that you wanted or did they give you a good deal on a relatively "unpopular" color?

And I know exactly what you mean about the Corolla... in the dealership it looks good but when you drive it, it drives like a cheaper car for some reason. And I really did not like the quality of the interior, especially the CD player etc. I think you did great.

I was waiting until after 5th of July - most of the online quotes I got said the prices are good until then, and I am wondering if they will get any more desperate to sell the 05s to make room for the 06s. Let's see if it will make any difference.

Thanks for the update.
    By the way, you dodged the sales tax hike in Chicago (well, if you live in the City of Chicago) which went into effect today. 8.75% to 9%.
    I wish I would have found this site sooner looks like I could have possibly saved some more money.. what do you guys think of the deal I got?
    Hard to say. Depends on how much they charge for the tinted windows and the other misc stuff. I say you could have done a bit better but is still good. Regional inventories might be a factor too. Also coupes might be more popular in your area.

Personally, I like the Coupe much better than the 4dr but we are getting this car for our newborn, so we do not have much of a choice. If you ask me, I would never give up my 99 Civic EX Coupe, stick shift.... oh well.
    I am in MD, the tax here is 5%, probably different from Chicago.
    I put downpayment around 20%, but it doesn't matter to the APR
    I got the exact color I want, silver, they actually didn't have this color until I arrived there, they traded one from another place for me yesterday. Brand new with all the paper on the body, 18 miles only.

Definately they can sell Civic EX w/front side air bags at around 15,500 (including destination), the other dealer gave me that price yesterday, silver too.
    I am thinking about looking at Accord LXs too. My insurance company quoted me less for insurance compared to Civic EX. It is a bigger car w/160hp. If I can get a good deal on an Accord LX, I might do that too.
  • bama3bama3 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a civic LX auto. The price OTD was $15,600. The quoted price of the car was $14,300 + $515 (freight)=$14,815. The rest included tax, title, and a $299 "processing fee." Even if you included the processing fee, the price of the car was just over $15,000. This seems about $500 below Edmunds invoice listing of $15,500 (which includes freight). I feel like I got a more than fair deal, but I have the feeling that there was some money "left on the table" so to speak.

That brings me to my question. Edmunds still is not showing any rebates for this car. How are the dealerships selling them below invoice? I know the 06s are coming out, but it seems unlikely dealers are selling them at a loss. Are there hidden incentives out there? It might be helpful to know that I bought the car in the DC area. I also got quotes from dealerships in AL (back home) which were much more in line with Edmunds TMV's, as the lowest OTD price in AL was $16,500 and the highest $17,500 (tax rates don't account for the difference, they are the same).
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I felt the same way when I test drove this car. My '96 Corolla seemed to be an overall nicer car. The wife drove the Civic LX but ultimately decided to get the Mazda3 S, which we'll pick up this afternoon. Got the car at invoice minus the coupons I had. They even took out their "processing fee" as we dealt with the internet guy.
    Zoom Zoom y'all!

The Sandman :)
  • cooldoccooldoc Member Posts: 5
    I saw that many people were managed to get Honda Civic LX AT 4 dr Sedan with OTD of $15500. I wanted to buy at this price but no dealer is ready to sell it on this price in Connecticut near Hartford area. All dealers are giving a magic figure of $16200 OTD price. I am wondering if all the dealers are shaking hands under the table of sell at this rate. I tried to negotiate with them but no one is ready to lower. I have not enquired the rates in another state for example MA which is also close to Hartford.

This is my first purchase and I donot have all those skills to bargain etc. I will appreciate if anyone who has recently purchased can share his experience and comment on my prices.
    Thanks a lot
    regards
    Go to the Honda website and put in another city that is within driving distance of where you live. Get the dealers to give you an internet quote or a quote over the phone. If you find a price that is acceptable, have them do the paperwork before you make the drive. Know what the out the door price is. Driving a couple hundred miles to save a few hundred would be logical to me.