Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus IS 300 SportCross

Comments

• Options
    vivian3vivian3 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone have any idea on whether the SportCross will sell for MSRP, or is there a chance of getting it at a lower price when it first comes out?
  • Options
    silverlexsilverlex Member Posts: 156
    Troy - the eshift is the same as on the sedans. I use it daily and almost exclusively and have been very satisfied with it's performance. In my opinion, it's the perfect blend between a stick and a slush box. Still, you should take one for a drive and try it out.

Vivian - If you check out IS300.net, you should get a better idea in the General Discussion forum. I believe I read 1000 off MSRP is what people are getting.
  • Options
    kkfmakkkfmak Member Posts: 2
    I have tested the IS300 Sportscross recently along with the PT Cruiser and the Passet Station Wagon. There is no doubt that the Sportcross has less legroom than the other two vehicles. However, what shocked me most was the specs on legroom on the 3 cars. IS = 30, PT = 40, and Passet = 35. I certainly did not think the IS has 10 inches less legroom than the PT Cruiser. Can someone tell me how legroom is measured for a car?
  • Options
    wishbone2001wishbone2001 Member Posts: 12
    Would any owners like to venture their opinions regarding the 2002 SportCross?
  • Options
    elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    That people keep confusing my Mazda Protege5 "sport wagon" with the Lexus "sport wagon". It really does look similar to the 4 door Lexus (and also eerily like a short version of the Lexus SUV). My Pro5, of course, has less horses and way less luxury features than the Lexus, but it also cost less than 20 grand. You could probably slap some Altezza style lights on the back of a Pro5 and maybe stick on some Lexus badges and nobody would ever know to look at it.
  • Options
    SE92692SE92692 Member Posts: 10
    I've had mine for a little less that 2 weeks now. The highlights are the performance, handling and exterior styling. The ride is very quiet and smooth, but not like driving a boat. The sticky 17 inch Bridgestone Potenza tires and cornering abilities are sports car-like.

I think it's more of a hatchback than a wagon due to the sloping rear hatch and the side rear windows sloping upward. Everyone who has seen it loves it.

You won't see a ton of them on the road like the Lexus 300GS or RX300. SportCross production is limited to 5,000 units for 2002.

I got around 18 mpg on my first tank of gas around town which is not great, but a significantly better than any SUV. Highway mileage is rated at 25 mpg.

Only things I would change are the busy chronograph dashboard styling along with the orange lighting. An all digital dash display would be more suitable I think.

There are some excellent deals right now and you can probably get a SportCross either at or below invoice pricing.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with mine.
  • Options
    jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    I have had my blue cross for about a month now and agree with the previous post. The car can cruise if you want to and it can really get up and go when you want to. It is more like a big hatchback than a traditional wagon and that is why I like it over the more traditional wagon shapes. The car is more for the young at heart so don't expect an GS300. The ride is very well controlled towards firm, yet the car is surprisingly smooth for having such good handling. The steering feel is just about perfect; the power steering never seems over or under boosted at any speed. The brakes are excellent. The E-shift works really well. The sound systems is first rate. I hardly ever touch the auto climate control, it works so well. Probably the biggest thing the car doesn't have is memory seats which should be standard in this price range. You also need a set of winter tires if you are looking at driving the car very far in the snow. Other IS300 owners have reported how poorly the high performance tires work in the snow. I have already bought another set of alloys with Bridgestone LM-22 winter tires. From my experience with the car so far, it is clear that Lexus wants to stay on top of the JD Power survey.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and welcome to this discussion. I believe you two are the first actual owners to post messages here! Thanks for sharing the details. We look forward to hearing more about your SportsCross experience. Happy Motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • Options
    Over the last 30 days I have been in Portland, San Diego, Denver, and Salt Lake. I always see IS300s but I haven't seen another SportCross outside of a dealers lot. For a sporty car I am finding the SportCross to be pretty practical. Folding down the rear seats gives you quite a bit of useful space. The hatch isn't very high when compared to a traditional wagon but I can still get my mountain bike in when I remove the front wheel. I visit the dealer tomorrow for the 30 day checkup. The only negative thing I have noticed so far was a slight rattle in the dash that I fixed by wedging a small junk of paper between two dash parts; you can't see the paper so the problem is fixed as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    carlo7carlo7 Member Posts: 7
    Glad to see some owner comments on this car. I picked my White SportCross up on Halloween here in Seattle and have been very pleased with the car. I was able to negotiate about 10% off list for a car with LSD, Escaine Interior, Moonroof and heated seats. The car I traded was a 2000 ES300 and although I liked the luxury feeling of the 300, the SC is much more fun to drive. I owned an 87 911 a few years back and the SC reminds me of that car in many ways. I guess the nimble feeling and quickness are the two things about the car that make it feel like a keeper.

I noticed a momentary noise and small vibration through the brake pedal when rolling away from a stop after the car has been sitting for over 10 minutes and brought this up to the service tech when I brought the car in for a 30 day service. They reported that it was part of the ABS system doing some set up activity, so I still have the noise. I will ask to drive another SC during the 5000 mile service to see if they all do this.

I was also told by the service tech that Lexus will sell a factory turbocharger that, if installed by the dealer, will not void the warranty and will push the car to around 300hp. This will be availalble next summer. No pricing was given, but I did see a carbon fiber replacement grill without the big "L" for $800, so the Turbo won't be cheap. However the thought of an unbadged turbo charged SC is very enticing. I am also looking at some aftermarket suspension pieces that are said to lower the car about an inch, but reduce roll in hard cornering without affecting cruising comfort. This seems like a car that will enjoy being driven with spirit periodically.

Being 55 I don't fit the demographic for which this car seems intended but I'm real happy Lexus decided to sell it.
  • Options
    andykelseyandykelsey Member Posts: 2
    on a Sportcross or Subaru VDC, which I can probably get for around the same price (maybe 1-2K cheaper for the VDC). is300.net is a source where I found 29.5k for SC w/ L/E,MRf options. I'll have to fly to LA from SF Bay Area and drive it back, but it is a very good deal. I've talked to a few dealers in the Bay Area, but they seem reluctant to sell in the invoice range. Where are the deals?!

My main issues w/ the SC is the safety of driving in rainy/slick conditions (I've had a few bad experiences) w/ the RWD and no LSD/VSC available (w/ no nav). The VDC will be ideal for any harsh conditions and probably more practical in general (more room, better mpg, less costly? maintenance). The cars are difficult to compare since they are not really of the same class/category, but they are my top 2 picks.

Thanks, Andy
  • Options
    I live in Portland, Or. I would bet it rains more here than where you are at. I have driven my SC in heavy rain on all sorts of paved roads. With LSD and TRAC you have no problems with wet roads; throw in VSC and you have to use a considerable amount of stupidity to lose the car on a wet road. AWD provides some addtional traction for going forward but it does't help you stop or turn as is proven by all the bone heads in SUVs and 4WD pickups that litter the side of the road when things get really nasty. The SC is a more emotional car just like the WRX. The VDO is a completely different car. Personally I would choose the WRX wagon or move up to an Audi if I had to have all wheel drive. I tend to think about the 355 days a year that I want to drive a good handling, comfortable, sporty car like the SC. The other 10 days a year I can borrow or rent another type of vehicle (like pickup for example). So the SC's hatch helps make it a pretty practical sporty car. I am sure the VDO is very practical car but pretty boring to have as your main driver. There are so many boring cars on the road already; SUVs by the millions. If you only have the urge to drive a car like the SportCross 10 days a year then get a VDO.
  • Options
    hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    Comparing the Sport-cross with the WRX sport-wagon would be a more appropriate pairing. The VDC is larger and heavier.

Also, about the comment about AWD not being good for handling, the AWD in the VDC and the Auto-WRX have a 45/55 power split all the time with 22% of the power going to the rear wheels thus giving a slight RWD driving feel - in normal driving. When more power is needed, front or back, the system redistributes torque/power rapidly and un-obstrusively, front/rear rear/front left/right right/left. The electronically controlled torque-sensing Planetary gear center differential which works along with a continuously variable multi-plate clutch pack, rapidly sends more torque (upto 90%) to the rear wheels, when needed (for instance when accelerating). When situations demand (like when the rear wheels are on a traction-less surface), the AWD rapidly sends more torque to the front (this is done through terrain sensing algorithms) before slip occurs . The LSD also transfers power side to side, which makes for superb handling, primarily because you have the appropriate amount of power on the correct set of wheels on the appropriate side of the car. The SUVs and 4WD pickups you mentioned use ancient, out-dated systems whose 4WD is designed more to go in a straight line and not for turning or handling. In the wrong hands, those are sure-fire recipes for disaster. Also, those ancient 4WD systems have to be separately engaged and ought to be disengaged when reaching dry pavement. They prevent any handling finesse and force the vehicle to turn like a semi-truck with a lot of under-steer. This bears absolutely no resemblance to the VTD-AWD (Variable torque distribution-AWD) of the VDC or the Auto-WRX.

Also, it needs to be mentioned that this advanced AWD of Subaru, is only available in the Auto-WRX and the VDC. It is not available in any other Subarus, including the manual-WRX. This is the exact same system (in a much lighter duty form) that are present in the World Rally Conquering Subaru Rally cars, where the brutal driving environments demand the very best in handling and reliability. The system present in the manual-WRX is not that sophisticated.

But it goes without saying that in-spite of such advanced AWD systems (like the Auto-WRX/VDC AWD) that enhance handling and safety, it is a very good idea to be aware of the "physics" of the situation and not try to push the envelope beyond a reasonable level. Anybody who grows over-confident and does stupid and unreasonably risky moves in such safe vehicles, do create scenarios where the vehicle is blamed for the stupidity of the person driving it.

Later...AH
  • Options
    From Edmunds' News/Daily Headlines, here's an article I came across that some of you may find interesting: SportCross is pick of the Lexus litter. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • Options
    Longo Lexus in S. CA is selling all SportCross in stock for $2K below invoice between now and Dec 31st. It hurts to even type this when I think about how much I paid in Oregon. A car with an MSRP of $35294 is selling for $29313 not including tax and license. You can get more details on www.is300.net Dealers&Pricing board.
  • Options
    lanshahanlanshahan Member Posts: 4
    When I first heard of the IS300 I was very interested. When I saw it and drove it I was dissapointed. I then heard of the SportCross version and decided to give it another look, perhaps some production time would address the things that left me cold. Well it hasn't. The IS300 is too small, the SportCross version looks like a Protege5, the interior still has a gimicky downmarket look to it. I really wanted to find a vehicle with the Lexus reputation for quality (esp. after the dismal Volvo ownership experience), BMW driving excellence, with a decently priced and sized wagon. There would appear to be a market for a mid-sized wagon around 30K with driver oriented performance. Please manufactures someone step up to the plate and knock it out of the park. The Passat is close size wise but is a little soft driving wise. The BMW 3 series is too small, gets pricey and though still nice driving they are moving more toward comfort. Saab, hmmm. The last 9-5 I drove really was pretty good but the reputation for reliability is so-so at best. Volvo, foget it. Sized about right but not drivers cars by any stretch of the imagination no matter how Volvo turbocharges them. Besides they are an ownership nightmare. The wagons that seem to fit my needs are the bigger Audi's and the 540 BMW but they run 45K and above. I had hope for the IS300 but they missed the mark.
  • Options
    After market wheels, tires, sway bars, springs, and shocks can all be added to a car fairly easily. There are a number of VW tuners like EuroSport that should be able to give you some ideas on how to setup a Passat wagon to make it handle better. In most cases shocks and sway bars can do wonders to a car that is tuned more towards comfort than handling. You might also take a look at the Benz C-230 hatchback it has quite a lot of use full space when you fold down the rear seats. If the Passat looks good, there is a newer V6 with more HP that is supposed to arrive this year that would probably be worth waiting for.
  • Options
    rcbrodskyrcbrodsky Member Posts: 7
    Have any of the Sportcross owners or test drivers seen a bicycle rack for the roof on this vehicle? The Lexus accessory list doesn't have a factory roof rack/bike attachment on it for the SC, but it's hard to imagine this vehicle cannot be fitted with a bike rack up top. Any advice is appreciated...thanks.
  • Options
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/lexusparts/sportcross.html

Check out the above URL and you can see a rather spendy rack that you should be able to get some attachments for. You might be able to shop around on the web and find a better price for this rack if you are interested. is300.net has some postings which list most/all of the known IS300 aftermarket parts suppliers.

I also saw some form of Yakima rack on a SportCross at the local dealer that hooked under the lips of the upper door sills. I didn't like how the door seals were compressed around the brackets when the doors were closed though.

• Options
    Here is the forum where some IS parts suppliers were listed.

http://is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=13291265&forum=2&2

• Options
    This may have been mentioned before but the SportCross will be featured as this year's project car at the LA Auto Show. It features many custom performance mods. For more detailed information, check out:

http://www.laautoshow.com/project.asp

• Options
    texada123texada123 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know whether Canadian dealers are selling the IS300 Sportcross below MSRP? I have heard that sales are pretty slow on the Sportcross model, at least on this side of the border? Are the Americans still discounting?
  • Options
    You can probably still buy a SportCross close to or a little above invoice pricing, at least in California. I don't think very many people ever paid MSRP for any IS300 model in the last few months. Lexus has cut back production on all their models so the discounts probably aren't as good as they were 3 months ago.
  • Options
    "We had to remind ourselves that the SportCross is essentially a wagon, which still carries the connotation of the lumbering family mobile. Not so for the Lexus; editors previously polarized over the boy-racer looks of the sedan were unanimously pleased by the lines of the wagon."

Read the full story here: Spin Around Town: 2002 Lexus IS 300 SportCross, by Kim Liz. Let us know what do you think. Thanks for your comments.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • Options
    vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    I ran compares on carsdirect and there was a $2000 reduction between March and late 2001. I thought it strange and am waiting to see what the story will be in next few months. Acc. to my local dealer, there's not alot of them around. For once I believe them, 'cause I've only seen one on the road here in So. Calif.
  • Options
    I have had my car for 4+ months and I have yet to see another SportX anywhere outside of a dealers lot. I have been to several major cities on business trips and I always see an IS sedan but I have never seen a SportX.

There is some speculation that Lexus over reacted to 9/11 and cut back production too much. They are supposed to be building more cars now. No info on how many of them will be SportX.
  • Options
    jtc2jtc2 Member Posts: 4
    I think Lexus can have a winner with the IS line - does anyone have info on future offerings of a manual trans and all wheel drive offerings? Also, I already own a lexus RX and am a huge fan of Lexus - just a little disappointed that most of the Nissan sedans will flat out wax an IS in acceleration. Altima is roughly a full second faster in 0-60 and about $8-10K cheaper. Lexus does need to address this.
  • Options
    Lots of speculation floating around is300l.net . 4WD without more HP would be a step backwards IMHO. I prefer the E-shift even though it is far from perfect. I would like to see a 6 speed e-shift version. A displacement increase to 3.5 litters should adjust the HP without a major change in price. A special Turbo edition would extend the performance even more. There will always be faster and/or cheaper cars. I think I would be far more comfortable driving my SportX a 1000 miles that I would an Altima.
  • Options
    silverlexsilverlex Member Posts: 156
    Jmess is right on...there will always be faster and cheaper. In the next year we're going to see some pocket rockets pushing the 5 second barrier for about 15K. Should every luxury badge feel obligated to follow? Nah.

Nissan's only hook is the HP. They show you pumped up commercials with FWD family haulers doing J-curves knowing people's eyes will get big - hoping the whole time they'll ignore the rest of the car for obvious reasons.

HP does not a car make.
  • Options
    ponmponm Member Posts: 139
    All it needs is an additional 35 horses, 50 if they plan on putting awd and than lexus would have themselves a real winner.
  • Options
    nschulman3nschulman3 Member Posts: 125
    I leased a sportcross last month and have only one regret. I have always driven a manual transmission (20 years) and at 37 don't feel ready to give that up. My wife, however, does a lot of her driving in traffic. I taught her how to drive stick 10 years ago and she is quite skilled at it and does enjoy it. However, my other car is a Subaru WRX 5 speed and I thought it only fair to get an automatic. We looked at another A4 (used to own one), the x-type (too costly with the options i wanted), the tl-type s (felt too big) and the passat (nice car, but abit too soft. We loved the engine in the IS 300, but we felt the sedan looked too much like other cars on the market. The sportcross is unique and IMO a better looking car than the sedan. That said, i still wish it were offered with a manual. The transmission kicks up and down too frequently and abruptly and the steering wheel mounted E-shift is difficult to use. Perhaps i am simply not used to an automatic. Has anyone else felt this and if so, how can I remedy this. i don't notice much difference in sport-mode and find the easiest way to have any power is to leave the car in 3rd gear in manual mode when driving around town.
  • Options
    I think you may have calibrated your throttle foot and driving style to match the WRX and the turbo lag. If you drove the SportCross all the time you would probably adjust more to the gearing and the torque band and probably have less instances of kicking down. Bottom line a manual gives you more control and usually better gearing. I find the E-shift far from perfect but it ain't that bad either. I have grown tired of manuals over the years and traffic. I use the E-shift when I want more control over the gearing. 90% of the time I have it in auto mode. The power mode only raises the shift points up to redline under WOT.

It must be tough having a WRX and a SportX.
  • Options
    nschulman3nschulman3 Member Posts: 125
    Not really!
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Just a wee bit envious here, :-)

I'd be interesed in a few more comparisons between your WRX and IS300 Sportwagon.

Stephen
  • Options
    vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    Since I'm considering them both to be my new car. But I'm getting an Automatic either way I go.
  • Options
    I spent quite a while looking at the WRX before I bought the SportX. I test drove both the manual and automatic wagons a couple of times (the automatic suffers more from the turbo lag). I even had a student at a club track day who had a manual WRX and I spent some right seat time with him in the car at speed. Subie has done a great job with this car but at the end of the day when you not banging on the revlimiter the WRX is still an Impreza; just like a Honda Civic is a Honda Civic (my wife has a Civic so I'm not trying to put on airs). If 0-60 is your main focus and you feel that AWD is important then your choice is eaiser unless you can swing an S4 or are interested in the rumored 2003 AWD version of the IS.

For me on an every day basis the SportX is a better car from a comfort and convience standpoint (as it should for the extra money) and it just rides and feels more solid to me than the WRX did.

For the additional money you get some things as standard equipemnet that are options on the WRX. In other cases there are some features that aren't available on the WRX. Some of the thing I like are climate control, electric seat adjustment, leather seats, heated seats ( our 1st car with them the wifes says they are now a must have), heated mirrors, sunroof (a must have for both of us), self level HIDs (we have both grown to love these), really nice 160 watt sound system, really smooth inline 6 engine (4 bangers just aren't as smooth), E-shift automatic (IMHO a lot better than the WRX auto), great handling, and superb steering feel. My wife also likes the security of brake assist and skid control but I don't care for the skid control (she had a near miss where the brake assist and skid control cut in; she was impressed). I am sure there are a few more things like longer warranty, a couple of free services, firstaid kit, tool kit, homelink, and etc that aren't really that big of a deal. To me it was all worth some extra money (Lexus dropped the price last month so I paid more than you would today).

I also like the unique styling of the SportX; I see WRXs every where but I have yet to see another SportX on the road.
  • Options
    I agree w/most that you say about the WRX wagon but disagree about seeing a lot of them. I live in Seattle which is a large...really large Subaru market and I hardly see any WRX wagons. Secondly, I find it easy to find a luxury items on a lot of cars of various performance distinction but few that match the WRX. At the end of day, it's the performance of the WRX that wins me over. One of the shortcomings (IMHO) of the IS300 wagon is the fact that it currently isn't offered w/a manual tranny. This effectively lessens the "sport" in the sportwagon moniker. I also have to add that the Impreza is a really solid platform of which to build a performance car on. It just ranked top in its class of cars for the 40mph offset barrier crash test. It comes std w/air, 6-disc CD changer in the dash, side airbags, cruise, pw, pd, AWD, etc. Hardly a sacrifice where ammenties are concerned. As far as leather is concerned...don't want it in a hard-fought performance car. I want to stay planted in my seat. I also don't appreciate the cold/hot extremities of the seats in relation to outside temps. It doesn't begin to offset the wonder smells of leather. Heck....that's what those tacky aftermarket sprays are for....LOL!!

Here's a pic of my second rate WRX wagon...tee hee!!

• Options
    Dude, the wheels look nice; silver is the best color for the wagon. WRX is 1st rate for the market. The SportX is a different car. Bang for your buck the WRX wins. There are two big Subie dealerships within 10 miles of me and that is probably why I see them so often.

I was looking more for comfort than performance so I went for the the SportX. It seemed to fit my needs and price range better than some of the other cars I was looking at besides the WRX.

As far as manuals go I will take the E-shift. If the WRX had a similar gearbox and a sunroof I might have one in my garage instead. I think I have exceeded the quota for manual shifts during a lifetime. I really don't miss them. The future seems to be headed towards the manual-matic gear boxes. In the WRX rally car don't they only use the clutch from a dead stop?

Have you had your car on Pacific Raceway yet? Turn 3A can be a little hard on brakes but it is really a fun track. It is nice to see it being renovated. I hope to turns some laps there this year, but I will have to manually shift the race car.
  • Options
    I just wish that Lexus offered a choice w/the SportX much like BMW and Audi do w/their vehicles.

Thanks for the compliment on the wheels. I actually removed the ski rack today and washed/waxed. Spring finally came to Seattle today. We had snow just 4 days ago...crazy!

No, I haven't been to Pacific Raceway but knew that it was being renovated. I think that's great and hope to visit soon.

Stephen
  • Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    This little gem caught my eye in a press release last year, and I haven't been able to shake it. Also in the race for my cash are the 325i wagon and the X-Type 2.5 (far too pretty not to make the list).

Any SportX owner with some insight into my upcoming decision-making process? Red with power/escaine pkg intrigues me most...
  • Options
    hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    In the WRX rally car don't they only use the clutch from a dead stop?

I believe the World Rally race-cars have a true clutch-less manual (clutches that the driver will never touch or feel but is available underneath), similar to the BMW SMG.

Later...AH
  • Options
    I don't regret buying my SportX. I like the BMW 325 wagon also. I need a hatchback so a sedan like the Jag wasn't an option. Drive them both and see which one you like the best. I wanted an automatic so the SportX worked the best for me. My car has everything but full leather and nav. Make sure you get the limited slip if you decide to go with the SportX.
  • Options
    How's the escaine? Maintenance-wise, that is. I have leather currently and find it easy to care for, even with the kids climbing in and out.

Note to self: check the "limited slip dif." box!

I stopped in at Magnussen Lexus in Fremont, CA today at lunch, but nary a SportX did I see. I looked at theIS interior, which I like quite a bit, though it seems a sticking point with critics.

As for the X-Type, it has a look that's hard to get over, but I love the utility and ease of a small wagon. And the SportX is the best looking wagon I've seen in a while. The fact that you can actually drive it means that I can get over my coupe fascination, and still have some fun to and from Home Depot; the long way...
  • Options
    boxerloverboxerlover Member Posts: 5
    In MN, they are running specials on the IS300 all models 39 month lease with 39,000 miles are $399/month plus $3k down. When I went to a the dealership to test out the 5 speed and the SportX, my salesman said that the wheels and tires were a problem on the SportX (different sizes) and that Lexus was discontinuing it. Is this true? Also what specials do you see on this vehicle in the marketplace?
  • Options
    The SportX comes with the "sport package" 215-45-17 tires in front on 17x7" wheels and 225-45-17 tires in back on 17x7.5 in back . The reason for this was the engineers felt the car would handle better with the potential additional weight you might put in the backend. The BMW sport package wheels and tires are also different front to back. The IS300 sedan "sport package" has 215-45-17 and 17X7 wheels on all four corners.

My car came with a full sized spare alloy 17x7" wheel with 215-45-17 tire

So the only down side to having different size tires on the SportX is you can't rotate the front tires to the back (the tires are uni directional just as they are on the IS300 sedan, so you have left side tires and right side tires). A BMW 3 series with the sport tires and wheels is the same. The spare on the SportX can be used temporarily to replace any of the wheels.

Salesman tend to not be very technical and also not accurate in their forecasts of what Lexus or any other Mfgs is going to do; they want to sell what they have on the lot. I have seen nothing, in the Lexus boards, saying that the SportX will or won't be here in 2003. I am not really worried about it. I like the car and enjoy not seeing a SportX everywhere; 90% of the parts are the same as the IS300 sedan.

The sport wagon/hatchbacks are going to come back. Lexus might be a year early with the SportX but we will see a lot more cars like the SportX in the future. The hatch really makes the car a lot more practical on a day to day basis.
  • Options
    "The sport wagon/hatchbacks are going to come back..."

You got THAT right, they already have! All those "crossover" vehicles are essentially small wagons or hatches in varying shades of tall. One of the reasons I really like this car is that it offers all of the utility and more performance without that clumsy, ungainly look.

I admit, I am used to, and like, the ability to rotate paws. Not being able to means, at least for me, buying new front rubber in fairly short order. OTOH, I imagine I would be saving the difference on the rear treads, which should wear more slowly, I should think. Unless, of course, I decide to go donut a parking lot (not likely)!

Do you know anyone who has gone for the 16" rims? I can't imagine they're the popular way to equip, but I'd be curious to hear about handling deficits v. ride quality improvement.

Maybe boxerlover was suggesting that the different rubber sizes (front/back) would be discontinued in favor of 17x7s all around?
  • Options
    The all season tires on 16" wheels use to be listed as standard equipment for the SportX. All the SportX that I have seen have the 17" wheels. I have some 16X7 wheels with winter tires mounted on them. You notice the softer sidewalls with the 55 series tires and I am sure that the ride would be even better with the all season tires. There isn't any problems with using 16" wheels and tires.

As far as tire wear goes I think the rears will wear out faster than the fronts. The reality is sport rubber on the sporty cars will last 15-20K miles. Less if you do track days and/or AutoX. The sport tires really improve the handling of the car wet and dry and to me it is worth the price of admission. In my previous hobby I would change tires on my racer based upon hours (try 3-4 hours) not miles. Tires for the SportX are a bargain in comparison.
  • Options
    sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    X I test drove had the low profile tires as standard, but you could get the 16's all-seasons as a no-cost option. I loved the car but we need a bit bigger (MDX or Pilot). Hope they bring the 5-speed to the sportX, then we'd be in business on the second car. A few more ponies wouldn't hurt, but I'm sure an air filter and exhaust would help a bit. 20k on the tires if you are lucky IMO, more like 16-18k
  • Options
    sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    What are people paying for the sportX?
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    haven't they already brought the manual to the SportX? they have had it in the sedan for a year, surely it would be simple to put it in the SportX, which is so similar?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

This discussion has been closed.