Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pfessorpfessor Member Posts: 7
    I just talked to a dealer in Winston Salem, NC and he said the new 2010 Sequoias were not expected in until mid June. Anyone hearing anything different?
    Pfessor
  • brickredbrickred Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Limited yesterday in San Diego, CA. The MSRP was 50,900 and they offered 11,000 off all Sequoias. I have shopped this same deal around, because, yes, there are a glut of Sequoias in So Cal. Other dealers, including Cerritos Toyota, are offering 10K off MSRP. If we weren't impatient to get the registration fee prior to April 1st (in California., all registration fees will double, per Arnold), I would have waited. Since when do car prices increase over time?

one more thing, there seem to be several models with gray interior and far fewer w/ tan interior. I prefer the tan & it had all of the features I needed, so we went ahead w/ the purchase.

Finally, they were poised to make their deal by making their biggest bucks on my trade in and on extended warranties. I passed both up. Also the financing deal was lousy 6.9%, so I put 60% cash down.
  • sequoiabuyersequoiabuyer Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone heard anything regarding 2010 Sequoias...Are they making them? When?
  • pamulapamula Member Posts: 5
    Can I ask where in San Diego you got this? I am looking for one as well.
  • bigbadninbigbadnin Member Posts: 5
    I talked to a dealer today who claimed they are in production now. He said they should be getting one in a week or two and another by the end of May.

The dealer also said they are not going to be pumping them out like in the past so selection will be very limited. I think that may also make them tougher to deal on the price.
  • ltdsequoia08ltdsequoia08 Member Posts: 1
    Found the information on this forum was helpful when I was shopping for my Sequoia so I figured I would provide the details on my recent purchase.

I bought my Sequoia Limited in New England as this seem to be the nearest area to me to have it configured with the captain's chairs the way I wanted. The dealers on Long Island have the 8 passenger seating only. I called this dealership back in September and they had the same two Limiteds on the lot back then as when I called this time. By April of this year, they had both been sitting there for almost a year.

The following factory options came with the car:

Cold kit-----------------------200.00
    Rear spoiler------------------100.00
    Running lights----------------40.00
    Power Moonroof------------810.00
    Carpeted Floor Mats----290.00
    Back up camera---------695.00

Total MSRP with destination was $51,270. I had them throw in all weather floor mats (including for the 3rd row), a cargo cover, and Simoniz paint sealant for free.

I took the $4,000 rebate and paid $39,180 + TTL.. The dealer was also able to beat my credit union's financing rate - I got 4.4% for 60 months through their lender.

Negotiated every over the phone and there were no surprises when I went to sign the paperwork. The car was prepped perfectly and looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

I was a little hesitant about buying a car that had been sitting on the lot for almost a year with the old gas still in it and the possibility of flat spots on the tires. However, I have no problems with the car whatsoever. Very happy with the purchase.
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    FYI, I just sent a feeler around the Washington DC area dealerships to see if we were down to this price level yet, and so far, one dealership has emailed me back on a Platinum model with a MSRP of $58,155. They said they would try to see if they could get a $43,616.25 price on it. Not sure if this is a Demo model. I will keep you posted.
  • a8silvera8silver Member Posts: 24
    Does anyone know the incentives being offered for May on the Sequoia?
  • sequoiahuntersequoiahunter Member Posts: 11
    In Northern CA. it looks like 3500.00 cash back or 1.9% APR.
    I just got a quote for a SR5 with the following:

Vehicle Base Model: $ 38500.00
    Deluxe AM/FM/Six-CD Changer with 8 Speakers: $ 200.00
    Roof Rack
    Cold Kit Includes:
    Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror with Compass,Homelink and Lamp:
    Running Boards:
    Rear Spoiler
    Daytime Running Lights (DRL) with On/Off
    Tow Prep Package Plus Tow Hitch
    Carpeted Floor Mats/Door Sill Protector
    Wheel Locks (Alloy)

Total .......................................: $ 41666.00
    Invoice was $37500.00
    Gave an additional discount so final before Tax an Lic : $36600.00

This was not taking the $3500.00 dollar discount instead taking the 1.9% 60 month.

What do you guys think good deal or not? Really wanted the leather but hard to find without stepping up to the Limited.
  • thetoyotafanthetoyotafan Member Posts: 2
    4wd or 2wd?
    It is 4 WD after getting some more numbers I'm thinking I could maybe get it for 35000~35500.
  • thetoyotafanthetoyotafan Member Posts: 2
    I've been phone-quoted the same price as you ($36600), all features identical except mine was missing spoiler (here in NorCal) I offered less, he hardly budged. Let me know how it goes with you.
    Deflation has not taken prices to this threshold. Based on my inquiry and responses from dealers, I believe we are still in the 15%-18% MAX range as far as prices paid off MSRP are concerned for 2008 Sequoias still on the lots. Whether prices move toward the 25% mark will depend on whether this S&P move up is really a sucker's rally or the real deal. If economy is truly having signs of life, then we may be at a line in the sand on this pricing and not be able to expect much more of a discount on 2008s. They will simply sit and collect dust, but not go much lower. However, I will not buy a 2008 until we reach at least a 22%-off MSRP threshold, and that would have to mean more deflation . . . thus, I will therefore probably end up going with a 2010 with a far lower percentage below MSRP. Of course, we all are aware of the Toyota planned lower production on these 2010 models and higher starting MSRPs. But even with lower supply to support initial pricing on these 2010s, the jury is out on the demand side of the equation. As I said, I am in no rush; (and I have a feeling, I am not alone.) Everyone is aware of Toyota's problems, not only in China, but even here in the US. Unless you HAVE to have the 2010 immediately when released, odds are it will pay to wait and let the summer doldrums convince dealers towards year end that even lowering supply can't fix prices. This is not OPEC. Prices on 2010s will probably drop from unrealistic and overly-optimistic high starting points as we enter the uncertain markets of the Fall and dealers face the music of what is happening in the market for large SUVs. I say now, that between Fall and year end is the best time to plan to act, before the tax break expires. Don't be in a rush this summer to drop 40-60k on a depreciating asset . . .
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    Thanks for keeping us updated.
    I certainly hope so.... but I believe there are other factors that can adversely affect this theory:
    1. The government could impose heavy taxation on these "gas" guzzlers ..highly unlikely in this economy but I don't put anything past them/
    2. There is a high probability that the level of SUVs sold will not reach the 2005 -2006 levels, and manufacturers are clamping down hard on production. They could move these vehicles into the niche market zone such as the landcruiser. They've been burnt badly twice: oil bubble followed by the stock market crash
    3. You can already see that GM and Ford have significantly raised prices on these vehicles. Toyota is following suit. Toyota is not in the business of losing money in the long run (such as GM)
    4. I still believe Dec-Mar was the best time to buy these vehicles ,,,, firesale prices (the lowest price I saw was 29k on MSRP of 46k)- with many to be had. Now the choices in the 2008 market is limited (at least in CA)

Having said that there are 2008s that can be had for 22-25% off MSRP now.... but much fewer than before.
    In Norcal try the following guys:

For 2WD base SR5 models: Sunnyvale Toyota - you can get them for around 31K
    For 4WD: Hayward Toyota has three in stock
    Piercey Toyota in Milpitas have some low end limiteds

If you don't mind driving or getting it shipped:
    Desert Toyota of Las Vegas gave me good pricing on a Nautical Blue 4WD SR 5- almost 10K off MSRP

Goodluck!!!!
    I was pretty thorough in my price inquiries, and even though I told them I was a cash buyer and would walk in and buy same day, I unfortunately could not get any dealers in Wash DC area into the 22-25% below MSRP threshold like you are apparently seeing in CA. I know CA has much worse unemployment, and that could be a factor for the discount you are seeing. But employment overall in DC area is still very good compared to nation at large, and best I am finding is still only 18-19% below MSRP.

I'm in no rush, so willing to wait until these dealers throw in the towel on the '08s and get down to your 25% threshold that you have in CA. Not lots of Platinums on lots out here, but there is still a decent selection of Limiteds.

Interesting to see how this all plays out . . .
    If you tell them your coming down you can get it for 36,000 no problem, I think even 35,500 if you work at it.

I kind of up the options from my last quote and this is what I'm finding.

I've been able to narrow down some quotes for 2008 SR5 equipped as follows:

JBL Premium AM/FM/CD with Six-Disc
    Cold Kit Includes: Windshield Wiper
    Leather-Trimmed Doors with Integrated
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof
    Running Boards
    Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
    Front and Rear Sonar
    Tow Prep Package Plus Tow Hitch
    Cargo Net
    Wheel Locks (Alloy)

MSRP 47,000

Told dealers I'm very serious buyer with 1 week or less buy time some deals bottomed out at 39,300 and two stuck at 38,900 this is with a lot of back and fourth between deals what do you guys think looks like a good deal. I think if I tell them I'm coming I can get to 38,500.
  • tenekramtenekram Member Posts: 6
    Well I purchased my Nautical Blue Seq LMTD about 3 weeks ago, and I believe I got a good deal. MSRP was 53K, I got for 44K out the door.

50 State Emissions $0
    6-Gallons of Gas $0
    7-Passenger Seating Includes 2nd Row $0
    Color Keyed Fender Flare $699
    Daytime Running Lights (DRL) with On/Off $40
    Feature

Power Back Hatch/Door $400
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof with Sun Shade $810
    (Limited)

Rear Aerodynamic Spoiler $449
    Rear Sight Backup Camera System $649
    Southeast Toyota Distributor Plus $0
    Final Quality Inspection

Certified Technician 46 Point

Picture Asset Program

Woodgrain Dash with Trim $399
    XM Tuner w/Antenna includes: $469
    6 Months Complimentary XM Service

4/20" Alcoa Wheels w/305/50R20 w/Michelin Tires $2,995
    Replaces Factory Wheels and Tires Listed

And all the other stuff. I am happy with it, since there were only a handful of these in the Southeast Region.
    Dealer delivered the vehicle to our house yesterday. I negotiated everything over the phone:

SR5 - 2WD
    Leather - Power Seats, with Power Fold down rear seats, Heated Driver & Passenger seats
    JBL/w Bluetooth and steering wheel controls
    Tow Prep Package
    Running Boards
    Moonroof/Roof Rack
    DRL
    Front & Rear Sonar
    Homelink Mirror

MSRP: 43,615
    Final Price: $34,395 +TTL (21% off MSRP)

The main reason I went for it: Almost a fully loaded SR5 (closest configuration to the LTD), but ~$5500-$6000 cheaper than any LTD quote I received.
    Front page of Personal Journal in today's Wall Street Journal has an article titled "Final Frontier: Below Dealer Cost." Check it out today. In it, it refers to a company (which has an easily found website) that gives you the prices actually being paid based on real sales data around the country. For example, on a fully loaded Platinum with MSRP of $58,578, it puts factory invoice (what the dealer tries to tell you is their "cost," which we really know is not true) in my zip code at $53,545, and then states the average being paid in the US is $50,944. It gives a nice graph that says if you paid more than $50,944 for the vehicle, then it was "overpriced." A "great price" is listed at $49,995, given that it lists true dealer cost on this vehicle at $48,889 (factory invoice - holdbacks and dealer incentives). Like any resource, this is not of course perfect info, but it is a great starting point and you can enter any vehicle and configuration. I also note, that it DOES seem to accurately reflect the numbers I was seeing in the Wash DC area this month. Best I could come up with on a loaded Platinum was about $48-49K. Of course, I was looking for an insanely low $44K, but the dealers aren't that desperate (yet) to be willing to lose lots of money. If they fear further deflation though this year, and if demand continues to erode, at some point they will of course start moving down to those thresholds. That's what happens in an environment like this and these companies know it. Of course, I could be wrong about this being a sucker's rally and prices may lag down at this point, but not really drop lower if things improve.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you so much to those of you posting articles and prices paid information....It's sad that car buying has come this.....
  • agbasheragbasher Member Posts: 18
    To many here who know a lot mroe than me about buying Sequioa's --

How do you tell how low is low?! Every dealer in MN is already well below invoice and any likely holdbacks, so what does it come down to?

I'm not sure what negotiating levers I have other than the cars have been on their lots for awhile. What are the guiding principles here/

Thanks!
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Member Posts: 324
    What's really interesting is that I paid $51000 for my 2008 Platinum Sequoia in Dec. 2007 when they first came out. Looks like we're full circle back to the pricing I paid 18 months ago. Sounds like a good price on a Plat Sequoia is around $49K.
  • str1ckstr1ck Member Posts: 1
    Got a SR5 with Leather, JBL, Cold Weather Pkg, moon roof, running boards, and all the other stuff. From Newark Toyota World in DE. after some back and forth and walking out. I got the Truck for 36,800. Make sure you do your home work before going to this dealership.
    What was the MSRP? Also, is 36800 include TTL?

Thanks
    Also was that with special financing and the rebate or can you only choose one like in Norther Cal and Nevada?
    Thanks hdfatboy. That's an interesting data-point. Maybe you have to adjust it for the slight inflation during this time? So, if you use CPI as your tracking reference, paying 51K back then is similar to paying 52.5K now. [There may be a better tool than CPI of course . . . but you get the idea.] So, if deflationary pressures now have these down to 49K, hdfatboy could have saved maybe 3.5K by waiting 18 months . . . and to me, that's not worth it and not much of a deflationary "discount" given what is going on in economy and where I think we could be headed given Toyota's troubles in the business section headlines. Thus, those last few 2008 Platinums (and loaded 2008 Limiteds, which are still easily found) can sit forever in my book until they move down to the 44-45K range. [Again, that may never happen . . . ] There will be some who can not wait and need to buy a 2008 now (baby coming, current vehicle died, etc.), but I can't imagine there are LOTS of people ready to pay ~50K for one of these 2008 Platinums or loaded Limiteds, especially given what hdfatboy paid. (I wonder how many other people got that price in 2007 too? Perhaps not many?). I think I will simply buy a 2010 and be comfortable paying in the mid to upper 50Ks for it once the dealers realize that despite production cuts, no one will be paying 60K+ MSRP on 2010s either. [I could be wrong of course, if economy is truly turning . . . but, I don't think it is unfortunately.] As for the 2008s, I am not biting until the dealers realize it is better to get rid of them at a small 24-25% below MSRP loss, versus giving them away later in the year if/when we realize this short market rally was a little premature and things really flatline for the rest of this year as jobs and purchasing power get further curtailed.
    Not sure that I buy the CPI model of pricing on Sequoia's. We're in a deflationary period and more importantly the MSRP of these vehicles is unchanged. Therefore I think its reasonable to assume a "Dec 2007 Sequoia dollar" is equal to a "May 2009 Sequoia dollar".

Just my $.02 (2009 pennies , of course:)
  • jmmurphyjmmurphy Member Posts: 4
    Got an email quote on a Sequoia (actually a blanket statement on all in stock) for MSRP less $10000. The only one I'm interested in is an SR5 with $7k worth of options, most of which I don't want. I've got another dealership I'm negotiating with now that has a Limited with power back door, daytime running lights, and sunroof (MSRP + dealer fees = $47,870). Assuming they match the 10k offer ($37870), what would be a reasonable counter offer?

This price seems lower than what I'd been offered up until now, and somewhat lower than most of the posts in the forum. Is this going to be as good as it gets for me?

Thanks!
    It seems like a reasonable offer. I have a feeling that the dealer fees ( such as doc fees) are close to $500-700. In CA, these are fixed at $55, and most other states these are variable ( I've seen them range from $350-800). Taking this into acct. you are most likely at $9700-9200 below MSRP - in my opinion is quite good for these days.
  • DTbrokerDTbroker Member Posts: 5
    Sorry for joining the thread late but one question...is this price quote you received for an '09? I was under the impression that Toyota was skipping production on the '09 and going straight to '10. I tried to look up specs on the '09 on Edmunds and found nothing. Regardless, the 10k off dealer cost is a good deal but if it turns out that it is for a brand new '08 they are probably factoring in the additional depreciation despite the fact it is new. Good luck.
  • jmmurphyjmmurphy Member Posts: 4
    Of course, you are right. I meant '08. I appreciate the feedback on the price, guys!
    Any apple folks out there that can help me with something? One of the accessories for the 2010 Sequoia is an ipod interface cord "allowing you to control the ipod through the head unit and steering wheel." What I want to know is....can I hook up my IPHONE and have my movies play on the dvd entertainment system? I can do this with an adaptor cord on my tv at home, but would be beside myself if I can do this with the car....I have so much kids tv and movies on the iphone that I hate to buy or rent DVD's for the car...not to mention my own shows....Anyone, anyone?
    The ipod interface cord can be installed on the '08 also ( about $200). It is the same as Lexus. You won't be able to play the movies off iPOD products in your vehicle. Music ..YES, and Music Videos..NO. Sorry !!!
  • melrose88melrose88 Member Posts: 1
    I was looking for a new '08 in Boston area and they are offering $10,000 off MSRP for a limited. I found a couple with MSRP in the $50k-$52k range. So I am confident I can purchase one of these for $40,000. But I just found a demo with similar features and 5,000 miles with MSRP at $52,000. How much of a discount should I be looking for on this demo as compared to similar brand new vehicle?
  • dwong408dwong408 Member Posts: 7
    I was actually thinking about purchasing a 08 sequoia but after further debate, the price is not much of a discount considering that its 2 yrs old. Currently, its either 3500rebate or 1.9% finance. 2010 invoice pricing shouldn't be too bad since I pan to do financing. In addition, I can get the color and options I like instead of the leftovers at the lots that has been sitting for 1 plus year. Let me know what you think.
  • gatoralum90gatoralum90 Member Posts: 6
    Well, I found that they were not dealing on the 10's yet. You might want to reconsider, but do it quickly. I just got a 08 Sequoia Limited MSRP -48890 for 39890 plus I had them add XM receiver that it did not not have for free ($465 option). The dealership also essentially gave me retail (Edmunds retail) Sequoia and when I drove it up to pick up the new one, they took it from me, because they had it sold already. The best discount that I could get on a 10 was about 3k off. I went to Edmunds and ran the price for a used 08 Sequoia with 15k miles and same options. Price difference was about $1500. So, that led me to pull the trigger and get the 08. I hope this gives you some perspective on what is going on right now. There are not many 08's left out there in the SE right now. Enjoy whatever you get, there are major improvements on the new 08's vs. the older one that I had.
  • warwickmonwarwickmon Member Posts: 27
    I think people make too much about these 08's being 2 years old. Sure it has been sitting on a lot getting rain and sun but with the paints they use these days, there should be very little wear and tear if any. Mechanically should be no problem at all. Mine (I bought a Platinum in January) had 10 miles on it even if it may have come out of the factory 18 months before that. Maybe I am biased because I bought one but it was spanking new in every regard when I got mine. Saving 10K from a 2010 is a much more tangible difference.

Psychologically, you have decide if having a 2010 in the driveway is more important than $10K in the bank for essentially the same car. Simple as that.

Good luck.
  • warrant_erowarrant_ero Member Posts: 16
    I just bought a 08 Sequoia Limited MSRP 51,625 for 42,288 from Doxon Toyota in Auburn Wa. Real nice folks to work with, no hard push. Got 5.99 percent on a 84 month loan. Really like driving the new beast. The dealership had 4 08 limited's with the same options, I think I got a pretty good deal. I did not like the sales tax 9.8 percent, ( Ouch!).
    Warwickmon....Good to hear all's well with your Platinum Sequoia. My 2008 now has 28,000 miles and I like it as much or more than the day I bought it. Can't say that about to many other vehicles I've owned.

BTW I agree with the sentiment that since the '08 and '10 models are essentially identical, I would take the 08 plus $10K in the bank any day over buying a 2010 model.
  • fbdfbd Member Posts: 6
    Was your deal on 2WD or 4WD. What features did you get? Thanks.
  • fbdfbd Member Posts: 6
    What is a reasonable offer for 08 Limited 5.7 V8 Nav, DVD, Power Back Door, Moonroof, Cold Pkg, 20" wheels, Back Up Mirror, and Moonroof? MSRP $55,215 - Internet Price $45,984. Any guidance is appreciated.
  • warrant_erowarrant_ero Member Posts: 16
    Here in Washington State it seems the going price is about $9300 dollars off MSRP. Dealer hold back is about $965. For the limited dealer cost is about 41k then add your options. A good web site is truecar.com you can see past tranactions prices for the vehicle with options added. To me your price is pretty good, maybe try 45k to see if they will budge.

I had heard that the $3500 rebate is now $3000 starting 2 Jun.

I bought my Limited 4x4 sunroof, air suspension, rear spoiler, cold kit, power rear window, carpeted floor mats for $9337 off from MSRP. The dealer really wanted to move his 4 sequoia's and gave up his holdback to do so. Just my two cents. Hope this helps.
    Hi Guys,
    I can get the extended platinum Toyota Warranty on a 08 Sequoia - 7yrs/100k for $845. What do you think? Is this a good deal or not worth the money?

Thanks
    FBD - sorry for the delay in responding. I have a 2WD Limited package. 7 passenger, with XM added, moonroof, glass breakage alarm, the SE toyota package that includes window number etching, free oil change, road side assistance. 18 in wheels. I hope that helps.
    It all depends on what it covers. That seems low for a Toyota warranty. I know that the overall warranty is 3 yr/36 mo, but the powertrain is 60k. I generally steer clear of extended warranties and I have not been burned. I do make sure that my maintanance happens when it is supposed to and so I have not had any problems on my three Toyota's that I have owned. Just my opinion though, and I know people buy them all the time and have had to use them.
    It is the Toyota's Platinum coverage. Similar to their std. 3yr/36k (without normal wear & tear). $0 deductible.
    That seems to be a good price and if you prefer to buy extended warranties, then I would buy it. Heck, with the traveling that I do, I might need to check into it.