Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura MDX Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Options
    12bluex12bluex Member Posts: 9
    Texasmom,

I've had other problems with my MDX (long story) due to dealer's error. They ended up replacing my X with completely new X, hence, I have to get the PPF reinstalled again. Once I have a month to drive it around, I can provide feedback.

The previuos X did get the PPF installed and you can hardly tell that it's there. That's all I know since I didn't get to drive it around much.
  • Options
    desi3desi3 Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody here had back up sensors installed through the dealer? How good is it, and is it worth it? I'm thinking of having it installed through my dealer but they're charging $1100 (parts & labor), which is kind of pricy. I'm afraid to have a third party install it because my MDX might get messed up. Anyone?
  • Options
    fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    Had back up sensors on two cars and found they are a nice feature. Wanted them on my MDX and found the kit cost of almost $600 expensive. I looked at the installation instructions and it didn't look bad, though it looked like a several hour job. Your dealer's labor charge seems excessive - as if they really don't want to do it.

Try a different dealer and try a Honda dealer. The Pilot has a similar kit.

I did not buy the kit.
  • Options
    todd53todd53 Member Posts: 47
    Is the Rear Deflector accessory color-keyed to match the color of the MDX for 2004/2005 or does it just come in black? I saw a black deflector on an older gold MDX and the color contrast didn't look right. Please advise.
  • Options
    Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    * Special airflow design improves rear visibility during inclement weather.

Does it reduce or increase wind noise? Does it really help in rain or snow?
    Does it accumulate dust in the crevice that becomes harder to clean?

Thanks.
  • Options
    hopeitsfridayhopeitsfriday Member Posts: 396
    todd53, If you want the Tailgate Deflector color keyed, you need to paint it yourself, or you can buy the rear spoiler, which comes painted from the factory.

Firebird EOU, The Tailgate Deflector help to keep dust off the rear window. It doesn't do much to keep off rain or snow, and no noise differnce.
  • Options
    eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    You can get the tailgate deflector for 297.70 at www.hondacuraworld.com. For an additional $125.00, they will paint it to match the color of your MDX.
  • Options
    hopeitsfridayhopeitsfriday Member Posts: 396
    But you can get the spoiler for almost the same price painted. The spoiler looks better in my opinion.
  • Options
    kssod1kssod1 Member Posts: 50
    Considering an 05 MDX Touring, but instead of the 7" RES I am thinking about replacing the headrests with built in 7" screens. Has anyone done this, and if so were did you find an aftermarket DVD player to fit inthe front like stock? My thoughts are to buy the DVD player from acura and have the stereo shop wire up like OEM. Also what about buying the 9" OEM popdown RES that is available on the 05 Odysssey? Thoughts?
  • Options
    loverboyjloverboyj Member Posts: 1
    Any1 who just purchased the new 05 MDX with Nav, can you inform me what brand is the navigation? How big is the screen and does the audio system able to play MP3's? I'm thinking of instead using the Pioneer AVIC-N1 navigation/car stereo.

many thanks
  • Options
    Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    I'd think the nav is custom made for Acura? I think 7 inch scree, haven't tried MP3.
    There is a LOT of integration with the car including voice recog. that controls the nav. itself and rear view camera that comes w/nav.
  • Options
    Honda/Acura have been using a customized Alpine navigation system. Updates come from Alpine.
  • Options
    lss63lss63 Member Posts: 4
    Bought an 04 MDX Touring and want to get XM radio installed. The 05 has an XM radio. They did not modifiy the interior or dash board of the 05. Does anyone know if I could switch out my current 04 Acura Bose system and get installed the 05 MDX stereo with XM radio. It might be costly but im interested.
  • Options
    brushwaybrushway Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 MDX that has to have the gas/mileage computer replaced. This will require complete removal and replacement of the screen and other parts. I was wondering if anyone knew whether it is possible to upgrade to the navigation unit that was available on the 2001 model but I chose not to order. I presently have the touring package 5 speed automatic without navigation. I know there are aftermarket nav units available but was wondering if the Acura OEM nav system could be installed in these circumstances.
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I would think it is possible. Most cars parts should be plug and play since they don't want to make customizations on the factory line. Is the trip computer under warranty? Is the dealer willing to give you credit on the trip computer costs (unit and installation) towards putting a NAV in? I think you will have to do some negotiating first.
  • Options
    jspikeyjspikey Member Posts: 21
    Go with the chrome side step. They look sharp. I bought mine from curry acura. You can find them on Ebay. I installed it myself and by following the instructions from handaaccessories.com it took me 45 minutes on the first side and about 30 minutes on the second side. But I think if I do it again it will only take me an hour. If you know somebody with an air tool that will cut the time drastically. You don't need a torque wrench 17 ft/lbs is not that tight. Make sure you put grease on the bolts before you put them in so it doesn't rust. I've had experience removing rusted bolts on my old truck before and that was not fun.
  • Options
    brushwaybrushway Member Posts: 2
    Yes, the trip computer is under warranty and yes the dealer said they were willing to credit the cost of the computer toward putting a NAV in, but dealer is now saying it is impossible to do as the wiring is totally different between the two MDXs. I find it hard to believe that Acura has two factory lines -- one for those MDXs that will have NAV installed and one for those that will not. I suspected they just didn't want to do this, but when I called Acura's hot line the tech person agreed with the dealer. I wish there were a way to find out the real scoop.
  • Options
    There are two wiring harness for the nav unit. Look at the Acura MDX Electrical Troubleshooting Manual for 01 and 02 models. Looks like the Dashboard wire harness A (right branch) is the same for Nav and non-nav cars. The second wire hardness, the Right Floor Wire Harness, may not be installed on non-nave cars. It is the harness that connects the under the front passenger seat nav unit to the behind the dashboard harness A (right branch). This underseat harness has 5 connectors under the seat as well as an inside the console connector for the front stereo amplifier. The same harness is used for touring and base models

If you look under the front passenger seat, the right floor wire harness comes out from under the carpet near the console, near the left rear of the passenger seat when the seat is in the full forward position.

If your car does not have this harness, adding it does not look like a big labor job.
  • Options
    I was looking on the web and competitor sites for information on the Computer/NAV upgrades, and found some interesting ideas on other upgrades.

Has anyone put in upgraded bulbs in the low/high beams? I have used Sylvania silverstar's in my other truck and think they are way better than the OEM lights.

In general I think the MDX lighting is pretty good. I was reading that a lot of people upgraded the Low beam bulbs?

I was considering upgrading all 4 bulbs, 2 9005s for the lows and 2 9006s for the highs. Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks
  • Options
    Have Silverstars in my MDX. They don't appear to throw farther than the OE bulbs, but the light is whiter and everything looks brighter from the driver's seat.

My MDX came with the headlight aim way down. Once corrected, the standard halogens did fine with respect to distance (better than the xenon TSX loaner I get when the MDX is in for service and better than my friend's xenon BMW 530i).

My aging eyes like the extra (white) light the Silverstar bulbs produce.

There are other bulbs, usually in the 80w power range, that are not legal for street use. These are very nice and do give added distance. They usually cost less than Silverstars too.

Around here there is so much traffic at any hour that high beam use is nill. If I was considering changing the high beam bulbs I'd lean toward the high power 80/100w bulbs.

BTW, the beam spread/pattern on my old Avalon is much better than on my MDX. I can see more even with OE halogens when driving the Avalon than I can with the Silverstar MDX.
  • Options
    Thanks. I will wait until a bulb goes then before I make any changes.
  • Options
    oldsamoldsam Member Posts: 4
    I recently had the Westin side steps put on for about $350 installed, but have now noticed a wind noise at 35-40 mph. Anyone else w/similar experience?
  • Options
    unclemiltunclemilt Member Posts: 2
    I have the Nighthawk Black with Saddle interior. Would you recommend the black or caramel colored all season floor mats? I'm leaning toward black but my wife doesn't want them to look too rugged.

Also, I've read a lot of references to hondaacuraworld.com but find the site to be worthless. Did it used to be different and actually offer accessories instead of simply links?

The best site for Acura accessories that I've been able to locate is handa-accessories.com - does anyone have any others to recommend?
  • Options
    I took off the Westin side steps & still have the wind noise!?! Anyone else develop wind noise after 1-1/2 yrs (03 mdx w/38K miles)?
  • Options
    No extra noise in my '02 with steps. I have noticed that sometimes on the highway we get windnoise from the sunroof/roof rack and sometimes we don't. I just keep the shade closed on the highway and I don't have a noise issue. It may be that conditions were right for more noise recently?

Is it a whistle or just noise? Sometimes sunroof weather stripping can leak air...I have had other cars where when they whistle, I treat the weatherstripping with silicone lubricant on a paper towel, which eliminates the noise.
  • Options
    eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    You were at the wrong site. The correct site is www.hondacuraworld.com. They have accesories and instructions, as well as free shipping. The site you went to had too many a's in it.
  • Options
    Turns out it was the audible signal to change the brake pads (I found the reference in the owners manual). Had the pads replaced, & the noise went away.
  • Options
    saint1saint1 Member Posts: 9
    Just purchased 2005 Acura MDX but ordered floor mats and Cargo Tray from hondacuraworld.com. Instead of the "Acura" logo, they say "MDX" on them. Not that I care, but just want to make sure I got genuine parts. Can other 2005 MDX owners confirm what logo they have on floor mats and cargo tray

thanks
  • Options
    Don't know about the liners, but the side steps I got from them were genuine Acura.
  • Options
    otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    My 2004 MDX cargo cover squeeks constantly - since it was installed in October. Seems to be the rolled up plastic sticking and releasing, sticking and releasing to itself. I keep it in the rolled up position to decrease the noise, but it's still there. My LLBean Outback cargo cover doesn't make a sound - rolled up or extended.

Thinking about opening it up all the way and powdering it or something. Other MDX cargo covers make noise or did I get a bum one? :-(

It's the only interior noise I have...

Thanks,

Ralph
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    You might have a bad one. Mine has been noisey at times as well. Sometimes stretching it all the way out, and letting it pull back takes care of it. Did you buy it with your vehicle? If so, it's covered under the Acura warranty.
  • Options
    progerproger Member Posts: 44
    I bought mine at the dealer and didn't have any problem...noice or shifting.
  • Options
    Bought it from the H and A site above... Why should it matter where it was purchased if it is an Acura product?
  • Options
    girlxgirlx Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone installed a remote starter system on their MDX? I have a viper system that I just removed from my previous car but my dealer has me leary of putting it on the MDX as he said it could void the warranty if it was done wrong. My thoughts are that they could probably blame just about any electrical problem on the installation of a non-acura part. What are your thoughts?
  • Options
    I've had them on my cars since 1995 when I had one installed by an alarm place on my 92 Camry. Each time the car dealer said the same thing...don't do it...except for the time the Subaru dealer installed it!! :-)

I never had a problem with any of the 4 systems. Bought my MDX in Sept. but haven't gotten around to having it done, yet...
  • Options
    wclarkjr1wclarkjr1 Member Posts: 19
    Is there an econmical way to add bluetooth to a 2004 Touring. If it was something the Acura Dealer could do that would be even better
  • Options
    I understand there are problems with running a remote starter in MDX's. That at least was true with the 01/02 years if I recall correctly.
  • Options
    kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Never heard of the problem. My brother owns a car audio sore which also does alarms and he's done many on many different cars. From what I hear from him, it can't be done on a MB for sure.
  • Options
    steveuclasteveucla Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to buy the 2005 MDX w/Nav. I don't like the DVD with a 7" screen offered from the factory. I would like to add an overhead DVD w/9" or 10" inch screen. Has anyone had this added after market? Recommendations?

Thanks
  • Options
    We have a portable panasonic dvd-lv70. It is a 7" screen, but it is great, it fits in the foldback center console almost perfectly and we use a fixed plastic wire wrap to hold it in place. The sound is fine, there is no problem with the kids hearing it, and the best part is that you can take it into the hotel with you on road trips. You also don't have it in the car for short trips for the kids to get upset about not seeing a video everytime they get in the car.
  • Options
    There you have it. Can't figure out why anyone would pay so much for a factory DVD. I do not want a permanent DVD in my car, or a TV. It's hard enough keeping kids away from the boob tube...why put a permanent one in???

But it would be nice on long trips. Maybe I'll do what you did. Sounds like it works fine. But, how is the sound??? Just read a c/net review that said it wasn't that great, but that the factory battery was fantastic at minimum 5 hours. Do you have a cig lighter adaptor?

Thanks,

Ralph
  • Options
    The sound on the panasonic dvd-lv70 is fine. No problems hearing it on the highway. My wife usually sits between the kids and works the video, but doesn't have to with the remote. With movies like Beauty and the Beast we plug it into the tape deck (with a tape adapter) and get surround sound. We bought a portable AC adapter, $29 not an adapter, but an actual outlet that a laptop and other items could plug into. I cannot say enough good things about the panasonic. Audiovox makes a bag DVD player that hangs between the seats, but it doesn't do widescreen, which is important for me because I take it on business trips to watch movies on planes, trains, etc. I do have a laptop, but that is big to carry and I don't want to work all the time.

The only thing the panasonic doesn't have is a carrying bag. I used the bag for my video recorder. The lv70 while only 7" fits right into the rectangular hole in the fold back top. I have a handy-bundler that I used to create a plastic tie to put over the player to hold it in place for hard stops, etc. Any plastic wire wrap would work...since the foldback top is triangular when you push it over it gets tighter and holds it in place well.

A few complaints...the volume control is manual, a dial on the side of the unit, a digital controller would make it easier to not turn it up too much or down too low. Second, after 2-3 years the screen has gotten a little digitized, but not really noticeable. Otherwise it is great. Read my review on Amazon about it. Check out epinions.com for the best pricing going.
  • Options
    2 ?s...

So it has an audio out that you plug into one of those tape adaptors for car speaker sound?

And the AC adaptor goes into the middle console outlet and provides a 2 prong outlet?

Thanks

Ralph
  • Options
    phillybigeasyphillybigeasy Member Posts: 31
    The 05 MDX has the bluetooth technology built in, has anyone pursued upgrading an '04 MDX from the dealer? Can it be done? How does it work on the '05? I have a bluetooth phone and have tried a Parrot Drive device. It hooks up great (as soon as I get in the car, the phone is picked up by the device), but the incoming and outgoing voice leaves alot to be desired.
  • Options
    1. yes, $10 adapter into the tape deck.
    2. On long road trips I plug the outlet adapter into the dash outlet, put it on the passenger side floor and then plug the dvd player power cord into that. The adapter provides a 3 prong outlet.

The battery on the panasonic lv70 is great. We get at least 2 movies on a single charge. (4-5 hours usually)...however we use the power adapter to spare us from a movie ending while on the highway and having tired kids put on their own show.
  • Options
    dan_in_coloraddan_in_colorad Member Posts: 1
    I had an Acura Ski Rack installed on my '05 MDX. The whistle is driving me crazy and Acura does not make a fairing (wind guard). Any tips with what has worked for others with the factory MDX rack?
  • Options
    steve290steve290 Member Posts: 25
    02 MDX - I put in Sylvania Silverstar bulbs which burned out in 6 weeks. I figured that bulbs were defective, so I put in replacement Silverstars. One replacement bulb has burned out in 8 weeks. I did not touch the bulb, nor do I run in daytime. Sylvania replaced the bulbs at no cost. Sylvania says the bulbs should last 1 year, a shorter time frame than OEM bulbs because they supposedly work harder. This shorter time frame info is not on the packaging. What are the best bulbs to buy under $100? Anyone have any experience with PIAA? The Silverstar and PIAA are both rated 4000k. Does this rating actually translate into more light thrown on the road?
  • Options
    kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Depending on how long you expect to keep the vehicle, real HID's may be an option. Yes they are expensive, but they are myuch brighter and they probably won't need to be replaced every year or so.
  • Options
    Opposite results with Silverstar bulbs. Been using them quite a while with no burn outs. There are a number of bulbs that are not street legal that also fit. These are commonly 80 or 100 watt bulbs and really light the road. Silverstars are the same wattage as standard and are street legal.

I found no significant difference in distance with Silverstars, but the the higher color temp makes everything appear more white and easier to see, much like HID headlights.
  • Options
    Tried to modify #254 by wasn't able. Add: Thanks for the heads up about Silverstar bulb life. After reading your post I checked the manufacturer's web site and found Silverstar bulb life is rated at just 150 hours, far less than their OE replacement's 1000 hours. I don't do much night driving anymore, but I must be getting close to 150 hours on the Silverstars. I've already put replacement bulbs (the OE ones) in the car for when the Silverstars burn out.

If one factors in the bulb life, Silverstars are rather expensive. At about $40 per pair they will cost about $250 or so over the same life of the OE bulbs.
This discussion has been closed.