Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Quality Control Issues

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    And have agreed on many ocassions that a few transmissions did, indeed, have a problem.

Who knows what the percentage of bad vs.good transmissions were? I sure don't.

I honestly think that the percentage of transmissions that had problems was pretty small.

And, of course I defend the brand that I sell especially when I believe the problems are overblown. I have never tried to pretend that these or any other problems didn't exist.

It's just that I can see people coming here reading these postings and saying..." Well,I better not buy a Honda! I read that they have nothing but problems with their transmissions!"

I think we would all agree that this is absoultely not true. Yes, they were blindsided by some parts problems. Defective units repaired under warranty. Problem solved, I hope!

Will an ocassional transmission out of the millions produced act up? Of course!

Recently I sold an Odyssey to a lady who had heard of a "horrible sludge problem with Sienna engines" on "some" internet forum.

I was happy for the sale but let the lady know that I thought the sludge problem was bogus.

With all things, balance is necessary.

Wouldn't you all agree?
  • rbruehlrbruehl Member Posts: 85
    Simply put, I had my transmission replaced on my V-6 Accord. At the time I posted this, I received a cold hearted reply from isellhondas. He later apologized which seems to be his routine.

You might sell Hondas but you sure as H&$% don't know how to conduct yourself here in a professional manner. I for one read your comments for what they are worth which I must say mean absolutely nothing.

Ever since I joined this forum, you have created controversy and you have been less than cordial. I am a loyal Accord owner that has had problems and enjoy this forum.
  • lugwrenchlugwrench Member Posts: 213
    I agree with Anselmo1 also. Let's keep the board civil and let's refrain from the ranting and raving.

Good place to start is the NHSTA. It is loaded with technical service bulletins and recalls, by year, manufacturer and model. Believe it or not, you can view any of the discussed transmission problems right there. That is the place where they are reported. You can even get a breakdown on the number of cars affected on recalls.

I know that there are a few posters here that spend time at the NHSTA. Hope some others will take the time to see what they offer.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    <<Recently I sold an Odyssey to a lady who had heard of a "horrible sludge problem with Sienna engines" on "some" internet forum.>>

The thing I hate about the internet is that it is also a tremendous source of mis-information. As a smart consumer (which I believe we all are), we shouldn't make our vehicle decisions based solely on one piece of information.

Heck, I had all kinds of problems with a Maytag washer, which I bought because I thought it was the most reliable brand and after the problems I swore I'd never buy another Maytag. So I researched everything I could and determined, Maytag is still the most reliable brand, but I was just unlucky enough to get a bad one. So I bought another Maytag washer.

Just my .02 cents worth.....
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    So someone gets to post a blatant exaggeration (or a lie depending on what the numbers say) and he's not called on it because we need to keep this forum civil. What a joke. If isell or I made that statement in reverse the claws would come out.

The host should shut this topic down as it only serves as a sounding board for people who can't back up what they say.
    Yes, you are correct..there certainly have been times I've been "less than cordial" I agree.

And I have also been called names, called a liar and been insulted by several people that come here.

I guess that might be why I can get my back up.

I try to temper my responses but apparently do a poor job if this.

I guess the Maytag story pretty much says it all. People tend to remember the units that cause trouble.

Lugwrench and Anselmo..I agree about keeping the board civil. I'll try to do my part to that end.

This is, however, a discussion board, and there are at least a couple of sides to every story.
  • kgroziokgrozio Member Posts: 1
    I own a 99 Accord EX (5-speed) and the driver's seat just broke (70,000 miles on car). The seat had some wiggle in it for over the last year but a brace underneath the seat just broke and now the car is unsafe to drive as is. The dealer told me $950 for new seat rails??? Has anyone else had a similar problem?? I don't think this is something that should brake or cost $950 to fix. Any thoughts on how to proceed would be helpful? Thanks in advance!
    Taking the car to a auto interior shop. It's possible they can simply pull the seat and have that brace welded. Worth a try anyway!
  • ed_swansfegered_swansfeger Member Posts: 45
    Simply don't post here. You are one of the others that is less than cordial. I suggest reading and moving on.
    You might be able to pick up the part at a used auto parts place. $950. does seem awful high.
  • anselmo1anselmo1 Member Posts: 163
    No, I will not close this forum down. There are to many people that contribute on a regular basis.
    You are welcome to stay as long as you conduct yourself in a professional manner. The choice is yours and yours alone.

Lugwrench mentioned the NHSTA for figures. It might be a good place for you to start. You have been mentioning posting figures. They are there and all you have to do is spend some time at the site.

kgrozio: Another choice for you would be taking your car to a collision shop. You would be surprised what they can do.
  • paulo3paulo3 Member Posts: 113
    There is more useful information here than any other forum that I am a member. Just so you know, I am a member of other Honda forums and this one by far is the best.

It covers a topic that no other Honda forum covers, quality control issues. Hey, if you don't like what is being posted, I suggest maybe you can find another forum that makes you feel more comfortable.

To Anselmo1: Under no circumstances even consider closing this topic down. It is to valuable to shutdown because of one disinterested party that doesn't like what is posted.
    It takes a HOST to shut a topic down.

Anselmo is just another one of us unless he's recently been promoted.
  • dc_sports_ruledc_sports_rule Member Posts: 134
    This topic is very interesting. Don't let a few "bad apples" spoil it for the majority. They would love to have this topic shutdown.Most of the time, the "bad apples" are in a state of denial and won't believe anything that is ever posted. Then they start trouble. My advice is "if you don't like what you see posted, don't disrupt others that do post"!
  • major_gamajor_ga Member Posts: 1
    I am a newbie here and was wondering if there is any truth to the rumor that the 2003 Accord will be completely overhauled and re designed.

Read where Honda is dropping the wishbone suspension in the 2003 Accord and replacing it with a McPhearson suspension.

Thanks for the help.
    It is my understanding that the 7th Generation Honda Accord will be a new design. Would love to see pictures of the new design. Anyone have any?

As far as the suspension, Honda did it with the Civic so it wouldn't surprise me if the Accord got the same make over. Where did you read about the change in suspension?
  • bschue1bschue1 Member Posts: 3
    I have had a intermittent problem the last few days when I start the vehicle and shift out of park into a gear. Sometimes, after I start the car, the auto shift lever is stuck in park for a few seconds before I am allowed to shift. Today however, the car will not allow me to shift out of park and I have to turn the car off an stick the key in the shiftlock mechanism to release the shifter to get it into neutral.

According to the owners manual, if you have to use the shift lever mechanism, then the car is developing a problem and take it to the dealership immeidiately.

Has anyone else had a problem or provide any more info.? Also is this a costly problem to get fixed, especially at the dealership?

Thanks.
    Yes, major changes are coming. Honda (for good reason)is pretty secretive of new releases. Soon the spy photos will be out I'm sure. These early photos are usually not very accurate.

And I have heard nothing about changing the suspension. They were able to change the Civics without effecting the handling so it could happen.

The benefits were greater interior room and five star safety ratings.

It'll be interesting to see the changes. Hopefully it'll be a home run for Honda!
    This has to do with your shift cable. It could be just an adjustment or you might need a new cable. I've seen this happen on cars from the rust belt too when they get corroded.
    I would also like to see a picture of the new 2003 Accord. Do you think by any chance that they will bill an Accord convertible? I would think that an Accord convertible would be a winner!
  • ob11ob11 Member Posts: 28
    I own a 95 Accord EX 5 speed sedan. The car has 70,000 miles on it. I purchased a new vehicle and I kept this one for my teenage daughter. She will likely be driving within a years time, and I would like to fix a couple problems with the car.
    There is some annoying rust appearing on the rear wheel wells, right at the ends of the plastic trim that covers the edge of the fender. I'll find out how bad it is and see what my options are.
    The other issue is a vibration in the exhaust at ~2000 rpms. I have read that there is fix kit(because it was a defect in design) and I would like to know where to get it, approximate cost, and is it a DIY fix? Thanks much.
  • ob11ob11 Member Posts: 28
    I forgot to mention my fuel gage problem too! It has always read erratically, and for the last 10,000 miles it has gotten useless. Is there a fix and what does the repair cost? I have gotten so used to relying on the trip odometer that I forgot about this one in my last post.
    Thanks again!
  • riswamiriswami Member Posts: 192
    Earlier post mentioned a broken driver's seat bracket. Believe someone mentioned going to a local auto parts store. Don't waste your time! The part is a dealer item and your local auto parts store doesn't have access to the item. You may get lucky with a salvage yard. The modern yards have the capability to search inventory at other yards. There has to be a wreck out there.

OB11 - If you go back on this boad you'll see post that relate to the fuel gauge.
    The Honda "buzz kit" will cure your problem at 2000 rpms. Check out www.manchesterhonda.com for the discounted price. The cost and fix at a Honda dealership is around $120.00 installed.

Your problem regarding your fuel gauge is the result of a defective fuel sending unit. This problem has been mentioned numerous times in this forum. For more information, check out the NHSTA site regarding this problem and Honda Accords.

Your rust problem is common in the area you mentioned due to a design flaw. It looks as if you will have to have some body work to correct this problem. If you live in the rust belt, you will see a lot of 1994, 1995 and 1996 Hondas with this problem. For some reason, this problem always shows up after the 5 year rust through warranty has expired.
  • accord_loveraccord_lover Member Posts: 27
    I also had my fuel sending unit on my Accord replaced when my Accord was a little over a year old. It was covered under warranty.

Honda service told me it was a common problem and there is nothing to worry about. He was right, the fuel gauge has worked now for almost three years since the fix. This was the only problem that I have had done on my Accord that was covered under the 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.
  • bburton1bburton1 Member Posts: 395
    If it is the heat shield buzzing, just get some aluminum clothes line wire, wrap it around the heat shield and twist it tight with a pair of channel locks or vise grips and that will stop the buzz. Worked well on a friend's Mazda and cost is minimal. Aluminum also will stand up to the heat. If the buzz is from internal baffles rattling around-then that is another kettle of fish.

The rust problem can be fixed but involves some body work. Take off the plastic bumper and get a angle grinder, wire brush wheels, eye protection and grind off the loose rust, kill the remaining rust, cover it with a good rust paint and then try to find a spray can of paint that will approximately match. That area of the rear honda fender is really the first place that will rust-always make certain to spray lots of water over it when washing the car after driving over salty roads.

Thank god now snow yet in WI.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    As long as everyone remains civil and courteous, this very popular discussion can go on as long as it has the horsepower to do so.

Some tips on making your environment here more enjoyable:

1. The usual pleas for courtesy

2. Don't beat a subject to death. People DO hear you even if it seems like they don't because they choose not to respond directly. Maybe they've heard it once too often?

3. Break up your posts if they get too long. Give the others an "eye break" in this way. They'll also be more likely to read everything you post if you do this.

4. Use your EDIT button. For a short time after you post, you can actually change what you wrote. Read your posts and make sure they weren't written in anger or that you have the spelling and facts correctly written.

5. Contact the Host via e-mail if you have a problem!

Okay, sorry for the interrupt. Please continue!

Mr. Shiftright
    Host
  • timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    ob11: My dealer fixed the fuel gauge problem at no charge to me, even though I had 55,000 miles on the ticker. I'm guessing it was covered by warranty because I had had it fixed before under warranty at 10,000 miles. Because it was an existing problem not corrected properly under warranty, I think they "extended" the warranty to cover it. Either that, or they did me a favor.
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    Most of the posts here would be better served in the Accord maintenance section. Quite different than quality issues that this topic was supposed to address. Or am I wrong about that also??

My point about this topic for anyone who wants to read instead of constantly jumping down my throat is that when someone can post a blatant exaggeration about a vehicle and its quality and no one is allowed to call them on it, this topic is useless. It is essentially a sounding board for any disgruntled person out there.

Funny that people can post lies and half truths and they are praised here, but when someone calls them on it they are skewered to no end. Very sad.
    Until you interjected, I thought this forum was on the right course. Once again in a very civil manner, I am asking you to refrain from comments that seem to cause problems.

You are the only one that seems intent on sabotaging this forum. I suggest Mr. Shiftright asks you to leave.
  • silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    If everyone would just post their personal experiences or facts (with backup data), I think that we would all be better served.

I have owned 5 Accords since 1984, and have had a few problems with all of them (Except for a 1988 DX that was made in Japan). Compared to the Detroit Iron that I have owned, the Accords have all really been jewels.
  • mikegold_1966mikegold_1966 Member Posts: 138
    Ed, I tend to agree with you regarding carguy62. He has some deep rooted problem where he wants this forum closed down. Who knows, he might be a "shill" for Honda.

Overall, I would say that 98% of the people that post here are looking for answers. The other 2% would like the forum closed down because it has ruffled some feathers.

silvercoupe-Very positive regarding quality control regarding the Hondas you have purchased.
    The faulty gauge can be corrected with a new fuel sending unit. Should be covered under warranty since there is TSB on it.

The 1800-2000 rpm buzz noise is well documented at the NHSTA board. The correction is a flexible hose gasket that fits before the cat converter. The Honda Technical Service Bulletin refers to it as a "Buzz Kit".

A rattling sound would indicate a defective heat shield. The heat shield fix is around $80.00 for the Honda part plus labor.
  • bburton1bburton1 Member Posts: 395
    Unfortunately too many people have figured out how reliable honda's are and. I regret this every time I have to buy a new one. Too much demand-dealers won't deal enough. Before I buy my next one, maybe I will try to start a rumor honda causes impotence. The tranny bit has been beat to death. Gotta come up with a better story.
  • accord_loveraccord_lover Member Posts: 27
    One of the reasons I purchase Honda Accords is because of their famous reliability. Unfortunately, they are no longer the most reliable in its class.

According to the 2001 Consumer Reports Auto Issue released in April, Here is a list of the top 5 most reliable Family cars:

1. Infiniti G20
    2. Nissan Maxima
    3. Toyota Camry
    4. Honda Accord
    5. Mazda 626

If you have the issue, it is on page 31. Being #4 isn't all that bad.

Just thought I would pass on this information to all.
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    According to Consumer Reports 1999 and 2000 April issue, Honda Accord placed 3rd both years.

Here is a link to most dependable 1997 vehicles.

Accord was #1 for Premium Midsize in 1996, but Maxima got it for 1997. Honda did move from 8th to 6th though in overall brand quality

http://carpoint.msn.com/advice/news_4019432_6.asp

I guess what the conclusion to the last two posts is that Honda is still reliability but is slipping?
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,675
    ...believing that the Mazda 626 placed 5th though, right behind the Accord. I mean, c'mon! The sheetmetal's so thin on 'em that when you slam the door you can see the roof buckle from the air pressure change! ;-)
    I don't know if it's a matter of Honda slipping since I've only been into Hondas for a few years now. It could be a matter of the competition simply catching up. Just my thoughts.
  • hbund216hbund216 Member Posts: 162
    While the competition is catching up to Honda I feel that quality has also slipped. I have spoken to previous generation owners and current generation owners and I get more complaints from the current generation owners. It might not be a scientific analysis but from what I gather the current ones have more quality issues. I started questioning people when I noticed my car was assembled very poorly.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Honda Rules man!
  • timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    "Assembled very poorly"??? (Ever look at GM cars?) Even if Honda's quality has slipped, I think that is overstating it. I love the hyperbole in this thread.
    Yes even compared to GM my Honda is assembled poorly. My family owns GM and other makes. While more plasticky than the Accord the GM did not have to have the windshield taken off because it was installed incorrectly or seat tracks and seat motor replace after a week of ownership. It simply spent less times in the dealership. There are other problems on the list of quality issues(a long list). There are people with legitimate quality problems on this board but most Honda followers like to dismiss their problems. So I doubt if there is "hyperbole" on this thread. Honda does have a smooth engine and good suspension but it's quality is not what it used to be. With other manufacturers catching up in quality Honda should get a move on so it can stay on top.
    Ironically, Honda and Mazda utilize the same sheet metal supplier in the USA. It is exactly the same gauge.
    But I suppose if I had a "long list" of quality issues on my new Accord I would probably feel otherwise.

And I guess happy Honda owners and, yes, salespeople may have this tendency to "dismiss" these problems when their experiences are quite the contrary.

I do agree that Honda can't afford to let quality slip. There are, indeed competitors out there who would love a share of Honda's business.
    I think that the competition is catching up with Honda regarding quality issues. Nissan has made great strides with its new Altima, Maxima, Sentra and Pathfinder. In addition, its high end car line Infinity has some of the best quality built cars on the market.

Toyota has always put out high quality automobiles and its up scale division Lexus is the highest rated according to customer satisfaction in the latest Powers Survey.

Mazda also has some interesting cars in one of the top rated in its class, the Protege. Rumor has it that the next 626 is going to make eyes pop.

Hyundai believe it or not is also catching up. They know they have limitations so that's why they offer the great warranty.

Happy Holidays to All!
    Once again, the long warranty is strictly marketing. They had a horrible reputation and had to do SOMETHING in an attempt to gain some confidence in their product.

And, I'm sure the quality has improved. Heck, it HAD to!

And...Happy holidays to all, and I do mean ALL of you. I know the bickering can get intense at times. I do enjoy the banter though!

Craig
    One of the cars that always made me wonder was the Lada from the former USSR. It was absolutely the worse made vehicle I had ever seen. Had the opportunity to see a Lada show room (if you call that) in Kiev. I opened the door of the car and I thought it was going to fall off.

Another wonder of Europe was the Skoda before VW bought them. How the people in the Czech Republic ever drove these things is beyond me.

Last but not least, the Peugeot of France. Another example of no quality assurance checks. The best thing about a Peugeot was the Michelin tires. And how about the Citroen? Enough said I think!

No wonder America is exporting Accords to Europe!

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Happy Holidays to All.
    I remember a neighbor buying a Chrysler Cordoba about a week after I bought my first Accord. The first thing he said to me was why didn't you buy American! I looked at him and said because I don't want any trouble with my car!

About a week later, I saw the Chrysler dealership tow truck at his house hauling his car away for repairs. The car simply didn't start and it could not be jumped. His car was in the shop a week and he was without a car. He finally got his car back and he wouldn't tell me what was repaired.

Over the next year, I saw the AAA at his house as well as the Chrysler dealership tow trucks. Finally, in 1982, he knocked on my door and asked me what kind of a deal I could get on an Accord?
    I'm not saying that I'm the only one with problems on my Accord. A co-worker has to add a quart of oil in his V6 between oil changes. Honda states this is acceptable. I wonder how many car owners would find that acceptable. If that happened to a car like Hyundai or GM most people with just blame the brand. But with Honda it's just a outlier.

As far as poor quality cars in Europe I have to agree. They drive rust buckets there. It gets worse in the middle east. Imagine that!
This discussion has been closed.