Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Sedan 2006 and earlier

lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
edited April 2014 in INFINITI
Infiniti has issued official information on the upcoming 2003 G35. It can be found on www.infinitinews.com. The car seems just like the XVL show car from 1-1/2 years ago.

Comments

• mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    That's because it is the XVL just without the CVT and the 3.5L V6 in place of the XVL 3.0L.
  • tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    Wow! Nice Car.
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    is that really THE next generation Nissan Skyline? the ones that have like 500hp now? it sure looks a lot tamer if it is...
    but...still a very nice car i might add hehe ;)
  • qin2qin2 Member Posts: 26
    For those who'd like to see photos of the Skyline/G35, check out the following link:

http://laf.cioe.com/~benbobbo/NonCGI/Forum1/HTML/001454.html

Remember, this is the next generation of the Skyline sedan, it's NOT the GT-R Skyline. Please don't confuse the two, the next generation GT-R is still under devlopment and won't be unvieled untill next year.

• c2t2c2t2 Member Posts: 7
    Beautiful car!
  • gooniesgoonies Member Posts: 24
    now for the questions. what size is the car and which cars are its competitors. i hope its a compact or maybe slightly larger. also any idea on prices for a top line model?
    The car will most likely be the size of a 3-series BMW, C-Class Mercedes, X-Type Jag, or IS300 all of which it is ment to compete against.
  • robertrrobertr Member Posts: 125
    I read somewhere that the XVL/G35 is 182.5" in length. The BMW3 and IS300 are about 176". The current Maxima is 190.5". The XVL/G35 size sounds just right to me - bigger than the BMW and IS which are too small IMO, yet more compact than the Maxima. From the specs, performance could be better than a BMW330 and IMO it looks a lot better (outside and inside) than the IS300. And probably for an IS300 or less price. If they offer a manual, this has a high probability of being my next car. Biggest problem for me is the closest Infiniti dealer is 90 miles away and I have a great Nissan dealer now.
  • jochijochi Member Posts: 18
    This car is around 10 inches shorter than an I30, but with over 3 inches more in wheelbase. It's said to be roomier than an I30, which is amazing, considering it's an FR sedan without the room saving Mac-strut/multilink-beam suspension setup. If it performs the way it looks, the sport sedan market is in for a good wake-up.
    is this a five door hatch? on teh freshalloy forum the rear window had a wiper...
    The G35 is not a hatch, it's a 4 door sedan. I guess the wiper is a nice touch, considering the rake of the rear glass is quite steep. Despite the wiper, this car is an aerodyamic masterpiece, with an ultra low .27cd. No hatch is planned, but a coupe is said to arrive shortly after the sedan.
    actually that is a nice touch : ) so is the coupe were getting gonna be the "real" Nissan Skyline? or just teh coupe form of this one? either way would be cool, just a lil question in the back of my head
    The coupe version will be like the G35. A lot of people are confused right now because they don't realise that Nissan is separating the GTR brand and Skyline brand. A lot of unwarranted criticism about how this car ain't no Skyline is going around.

The next GTR is still a year or two away. There is a lot of speculation of whether it will be a twin turbo 3.5L VQ or a V8. Whichever one, it will NOT look like the Skyline/G35 and will be HELLA fast.
  • deangeideangei Member Posts: 11
    I'm actually a little dissapointed in getting infiniti G35 instead of nissan skyline... it's like the difference between I30t and Maxima SE is a little different cabin and $5K in money... i'd rather get maxima that i30t... same with skyline/g35... it means that it'll be expensive... and i don't think we will get GT-R... i was actually dreaming of 4wd turbo or powerfull version with manual tranny and we're getting luxury sedan instead... well, luxury coupe sounds good too, but right now infinity doesn't have manual on ANY models... who said that g35 will be different?!? and especially after the were saying about new maxima by the end of this year, with v8 and rear wheel drive... they might have it with manual, and i'd rather get either maxima with manual or even 350z with its 6speed... but 350z will be 2-seater, very much fun but not convinient...
    and about the price:
    i30t costs 33K... g35 will cost probably more, it cannot be cheaper, it has bigger engine, newer suspention... it means it will be around 35K... the start... maybe not the start, cuz usually infiniti has everything standart... for 37-38K i can buy audi a6 2.8 quattro... for 42 i can buy 250hp a6 2.7t quattro... and about price for new maxima: i dont think it will be more that 40... it cannot be more than 40...
    the bottom line: it'll be expensive... and sticking with original nissan cars, not infiniti, will be a better idea... do i make any sense?!?
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    Some corrections here...

An Infiniti I30 MSRPs for $30K...and you can usually get them in the high twenties. The G35 will probably be ~$30K to compete with the Lexus IS, BMW 3 series and Audi A4. I am sure the G35 will be on target on the price. I think you got your numbers a little bloated.
  • lakers_shaqlakers_shaq Member Posts: 11
    The headlights remind me of the Lexus SC430.... the sides look like Lexus GS... I'd buy one if it was under $25K.
    i just went to infiniti website... i'm talking about infiniti.com... base msrp of i30 is $31750... and without audio/navigation, but with sport package the MSRP is 34+... well, maybe maxima won't be around 40K, it won't probably have v8, but 3.5 v6, but still... same idea, rear-wheel drive and manual possibly... g35 will be smaller, with the same engine... we can't say anything for sure now, we'll wait for a half a year... i know only one thing: nissan is the best... right now i'm driving 240sx manual SE hatch with HICAS and i just love it, but it's old and no traction control of any kind... rwd is good, but 4wd is better... praying for GT-R :)
    MSRP means nothing with Nissan/Infiniti, it's pretty well known that Nissan discounts their cars tremndously to move them!...my Maxima SE had an MSRP of $27K and I got it for $23K. Again, I am not worried about pricing, I think Nissan has learned their lesson and will be competitively priced. I am with you in the GT-R waiting list.
  • mbaudibest1mbaudibest1 Member Posts: 25
    the big wide thin grill on the G35 looks kind of like a few renaults recently made. i guess you can see the renault influence. the only beef i have with the G35 is that the grille doesnt look anything like the Q45 or new I35. i thought infiniti was trying to gain a family resemblence with the Q and I but the G looks different.
  • stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    I'm hoping the G35 comes with a manual right out of the box. But, I think I read somewhere that it is probably going to follow the IS300 pattern in that it will initially only come with an automatic.

One correction to a previous post by deangei: "right now infinity doesn't have manual on ANY models". Infiniti does indeed have a manual in their current lineup. It's in the present G20, which it appears, the G35 is going to replace.
  • mbaudibest1mbaudibest1 Member Posts: 25
    doesnt the I30T have a manual too? or did that get dropped.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    No the I30t lost it's manual transmission after it was redesigned in 2000.
  • djcunnindjcunnin Member Posts: 8
    It's from the XVL, which was designed long before Renault came into the picture.
    Honestly speaking, i didn't even look at G20 ever, i knew this car was very underpowered for my taste... it's sentra like, not even altima... but it does have manual as standart and it's a very good sign from my point of view... btw, do you guys know that audi start putting six-gear on a4 3.0 quattro?!? i know it's infiniti g35 discussion, but i have 3 cars on the list:
    infiniti g35/GT-R(?!?)
    audi A4 3.0 quattro new/S4 used/A6 2.7T (i look at it as one car)
    Subaru Impreza WRX
    The FX45 with standard AWD and 340 HP V8 means Infiniti will most likely not be getting a version of the GTR, but you never know.
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    I think the G35 will do for Infiniti what the A4 did for Audi. The new Q, while being an awesome car, still has a few quibbles that Nissan / Infiniti cars always seem to have.

The G35 looks like the perfect sports sedan.
  • pbhattipbhatti Member Posts: 87
    check out the nissan site in japan and they have qtvr movie of the interior of the new g35 please a lot of other stuff ... http://www.nissan.co.jp/SKYLINE/V35/0106/index.html
  • stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    Yup... the G20 (and quite a few other cars) would currently be under powered in comparison to the cars dangei listed. The G20 does share it's engine with the Sentra SE but not much else. The G20 is much better handling, looking (IMHO), and comfortable inside then any typical compact sedan. And actually, with the manual, the G20t('99 - '01) or Sport('02) really is a great drivers car that Infiniti seemed to lose track of while parent Nissan was wallowing around a bit for the last few years.

I am hoping Infiniti won't totally scuttle the G20 after the 2002 model. I'd rather see them upgrade the powertrain to the Sentra SE-R V-Spec 2.5L and 6-spd manual and continue to offer it at the $25K price point. That is, unless Infiniti is planning to offer a similiar engine/transmission setup in a less expensive (again, around $25K) version of the G35. I am assuming the G35 will be priced in the closer to $30K range.

At any rate, I think some type of performance minded G25 could still provide a great entry level sedan for Infiniti without scavaging sales of a more luxurious, muscular, and expensive G35. Unfortunately, it appears that they are going to just discontinue the G20 and drop out of the lower echelon segment of the entry level sport/luxury market altogether.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Speedracer is right there are loaded I30 in the paper for 26k every day as well as G20 for 16k.
    When i bought a G20 in 1995 i got 7k ! off msrp.

Regards,
    DL
    That's because in 95 there was a 20% markup on G20's plus money back from Infiniti. I don't know what paper you are reading but here in the northeast '99 G20's with 20K on the clock go for $15,500 wholesale and can retail for over $17,500.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    The Dallas Morning News Paper.

Regards,
    DL
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Let's hope Infiniti learned a little from Lexus about introducing a sports sedan without a manual tranny. They will lose 50% of buyers automatically (pun intended :). Lots of people who want sports sedans will not drive an auto tranny (I know I won't). That is a big reason the IS300 hasn't caught on as well as Lexus hoped (well, that and the funky styling).
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    A friend has been looking to trade her pristine 1999 G20 (25k miles, loaded, not a ding, dealer serviced, etc.) in the Washington DC area. She has decided she needs a larger car. The most she has been offered by any dealer on a trade-in is $11,000 (Infinity dealer on a new I30 or Q45). Most are at $10,000 or less. Dealers here just don't seem to want the car. Even a Nissan dealer told her they would rather take her daughter's 1998 Honda Civic on a trade! She doesn't want the hassel of trying to sell the car privately. Could the car be "wholesaled" to a dealer in your area for something near the $15,000 range like your previous post suggested??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I hate to see her take a bath.
    It sounds like Infiniti might wait a year before offering the manual tranny on the G35 (just like Lexus did on the IS300). I think that Nissan should offer the 5 speed right off the bat, but let's see what happens. I am hoping that the superb AWD system from the Skyline GT-R finds its way to the G35 which would certainly give you more choices if you are considering the BMW 330xi or Audi A4 Quattro.
  • pmvipmvi Member Posts: 63
    Apparently the new 240hp Altima is going to be offered with a manual this fall, so perhaps it won't be delayed.

From what I understand, the reason the IS300 didn't have a stick the first year may have been more due to the fact that they needed to develop a new manual transmission (none of Toyota's manual transmissions were appropriate for the 3.0 liter engine). Nissan may already have this covered.
    I don't care why they do it, I just hope to see a stick in the G35. I think it would be a HUGE mistake to not include one right from the get-go.

I'd love to see AWD as an option, too. I love AWD sports sedans, but the choices are pretty limited at the time, esp. if you want a manual tranny. You basically have 3 choices: A4, 325xi/330xi, or WRX. That's it.
    pmvi is correct,

Lexus had to adapt a manual tranny for the IS300 and that is why they were late to introduce it. Now, the XVL concept (Infiniti G35) was never made with a manual option.... actually it is made with a CVT tranny just like the new Audi A4. So, Nissan might have to do the same as Toyota and adapt a manual tranny for the G35. Then again, the G35 will share the engine with the 2002 Maxima and new Altima, I guess they could throw the manual from that parts bin.
    Those cars are fwd, it's not the same... i think... sharing same engine - yeah, same platform - no... well, 350Z will have manual 6, that's where they might take it from...
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Just curious, why do you love AWD so much? On the 330i it adds quite a bit of weight and, as such, has to be a negative with respect to "fair weather" handling and performance. I even see Audi S4 owners posting complaints about how poorly their cars perform in rain and snow (apparantly due to factory tires).

Given that I have an SUV for serious winter driving, I have never seriously considered an AWD "sport" sedan. I might think differently if it were my only vehicle. (We are considering trading our SUV for a new E320 Wagon and I am leaning towards the 4-matic rather than RWD).

Please enlighten me as to why I perhaps should reconsider an AWD sport sedan. Thanks in advance.
    I don't "love" AWD, actually in Florida where I live it is pretty much useless. The advantages of AWD are better road grip, and in a car with a very poweful engine like the Skyline GT-R it keeps the car glued to the road which greatly improves handling. Ofcourse, if you live in a state where it snows, an AWD system and snow tires will probably give you the control you lack in a RWD or FWD car. The down side, if you have a weak engine and AWD don't expect to win any drag races. I personally prefer RWD cars, but I think Nissan should offer AWD in the G35 to compete with the offerings from Audi, BMW, and Subaru, oh...and Jaguar.
    If you have a sports car with performance summer tires (I don't care if it's AWD or RWD - we all know no real sports cars come in FWD), you need to get all-seasons (at a minimum) or snow tires (preferably) for winter driving. I don't care if you have AWD, if you're running summer tires, they'll give you about as much grip as a Schwin tire in the white stuff. Doesn't matter if 4 wheels are pulling or 2. No traction is no traction (0x2=0, 0x4=0).
  • qin2qin2 Member Posts: 26
    Motortrend.com has a new article up on the 2003 Z car. In it the G35 is mentioned as likley to receieve the Z car's 300hp V6 motor, one could assume the Z's 6-speed manual might come with it.

Click here for the full article.
  • oxmeadoxmead Member Posts: 79
    I was looking at a 95 G20 w/59000 mi. and the dealer wanted $9900. I thought that was a little high. If I thought I could get a '99 for 11 grand I would replace my daily driver( '88 Eldorado) tomorrow. Then my 2000 would get a rest and I'd be smilling all the time.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    Beginning in 2002, the Skyline will be refined and sold through North American Infiniti as the G35, according to the following: http://www.mag-x.com/press/skyline0106/index.html
  • robertrrobertr Member Posts: 125
    It looks like the only transmission offered for the Japan version is a 5-speed automatic. I will be very disappointed if a manual 6-speed is not available. Have been hoping for a good alternative to a BMW 330 that is a little larger with a lower price.
    Wholesaled to a dealer in this area, not likely, However if she was willing to drive up and conduct the entire transaction in PA that might be different.
This discussion has been closed.