Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Wow...you sure went to a lot of trouble over this!

I can't remember ever accidently pushing the OD button on mine.

:confuse:
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Gotcha now! Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I'm still not aware of any aftermarket solution.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "And before anyone asks how I would use the O/D if I needed it. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the topof the cover and a pen or pencil or dowel can be used to depress the O/D button."

Don't you have to take your eyes off the road for a considerable time to insert a pen or pencil?

Personally, I like the switch where it is, and use it occaisionally when I want to kick up the power.
  • scotty3scotty3 Member Posts: 1
    I am switching from using a Saturn to a 2005 CR-V to tow behind my motorhome. Are there any additional steps to tow a CR-V such as disconnecting fuses, etc?
    The steps are in the owner's manual. They will differ depending on which transmission you chose. I don't have a 2005 model or I'd look them up for you. Perhaps someone with a 2nd gen vehicle can post them for you.
  • inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    Isell, there is always a first and second time for everything.

Stevdebi in about three months with this retrofit. I used the switch once and really you don't have to take your eyes off of the road.
  • myu1myu1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 05 CR-V 2WD LX. i noticed that when i turned on the windshield wiper, i feel the vibration and click going with the same rhythm as the speed of the wiper. i can also feel this slightly when my foot is on the gas paddle. the Honda service told me that it's a common problem. is this true? thanks. myu
  • aznskittlesaznskittles Member Posts: 2
    I need to refill the coolant reservoir on my 04 CRV. The manual highly recommends using the Honda manufactured all season type 2 coolant 50/50. Has anyone used a different brand? Is it ok for the engine to go with a different brand as long as it is 50/50? I bought the Prestone 50/50 which says its good on all makes, models, and color. I would hate to do damage to my car. any suggestions?
    Myu1 - Yes, the vibration is normal. Well, it's not a defect anyway. I've read somewhere that the wiper motors are mounted on the firewall rather than a structural crossmember, so the vibration carries into the passenger compartment. Not sure if that's true.

Aznskittles - You don't need to buy Honda fluids (except for the rear diff).
  • aznskittlesaznskittles Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. Just a follow-up question to that, so would it be ok to just add it in and mix with the original coolant or do i have to drain-flush-refill? (if anyone has yahoo msgr and knows more car care info pls im me (aznflavaskittles))
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I need to refill the coolant reservoir on my 04 CRV. The manual highly recommends using the Honda manufactured all season type 2 coolant 50/50. Has anyone used a different brand? Is it ok for the engine to go with a different brand as long as it is 50/50? I bought the Prestone 50/50 which says its good on all makes, models, and color. I would hate to do damage to my car. any suggestions?

I would suggest you stay away from aftermarket antifreeze. I don't know about the 2004, but the 2005 CR-V has BLUE antifreeze. If the main reason for buying Prestone over OEM Honda is price, the difference is negligible. But, if Prestone has minute amounts of silicates, you may as well kiss good bye to your water pump. While silicates act as lubricants in other makes' pumps, they act as abraisive in Honda's alluminum water pumps. To replace water pump ($100 part) it will cost about $400 in labor. Is it worth it, just to save a buck on antifreeze?
  • newfy2newfy2 Member Posts: 13
    :confuse:
    I get a vibration (shaking the front cupholders and coins in the ashtray-type rattle) when I'm city driving and accelerating at about 30-45 MPH. At first I thought it was an uneven road. However, highway driving/fast acceleration, no rattle.

Someone told me I needed an alignment. Could this be causing the problem?

This also started after I got 4 new tires. When I bought them, they said they balanced them.

Somebody else said I'm ruining the "bushings"?!

Please let me know if I need to get this car in ASAP and what it could possibly be - $ or $$$.. It's been doing this for about a month.

THANK YOU
    Sounds like a tread seperation based on the fact you are picking this up at low speeds. Take it back to the place where you bought your tires.

An wheel alignment won't cure this and you aren't going to ruin any bushings.

the fact it started right after you bought your new tires should have given you a clue something was amiss.
  • tntitantntitan Member Posts: 306
    It could be as simple as one of the weights used to balance your tire has come off. Take it back to where you got your tires and have them check it out. There should be no charge to rebalance or to replace a bad tire if you just bought 4 new tires.
  • mafernamaferna Member Posts: 83
    Don't know if this has been posted already, but here's a link to the TSB for the PTTR issue:

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Honda/1114758000000_1115622000000_05-022/index.html

I found it at another good HONDA website where they discuss mainly about SUV s
  • crv4mecrv4me Member Posts: 10
    Looks like this is what some of us have been waiting for. Some Honda verification that there is PTTR problems with the 2005. Thanks for the posting!
  • romanmromanm Member Posts: 34
    My 2005 CRV LX 2WD (automatic transmission) makes a noticeable “clunking” sound when I shift from Drive (or Neutral) to Reverse, especially when I shift slowly. The car is not moving at that time, so the sound has nothing to do with changing direction from forward to reverse or vice versa.

I went to a dealer, and they told me it was “normal”. Well, I have never heard of anything like that happening in a new car. But to make sure it was not just my imagination, I tried two other CRVs: a new 2005 model on the dealer’s lot and my friend’s car, which was a 2004 model. The new one did not make the clunking sound at all, and the 2004 CRV did make it sometimes, but not as noticeably as my car.

Has anyone noticed such a clunking sound? It only happens when you shift into Reverse through Neutral. Is it “normal”? I am pretty sure the sound was present from the beginning, but now it seems to be more pronounced.

By the way, my CRV had the “pull to the right” problem too. The dealer performed TSB 05-022 (post #3000 by Maferna) and fixed it.

Thank you!
  • newfy2newfy2 Member Posts: 13
    Thank you isellhondas and tntitan! You both were absolutely correct! They had to rebalance all 4 tires...which leads me to think perhaps they were never balanced when originally put on.
  • myu1myu1 Member Posts: 2
    thank you varmint!
    I always thought, and still think, that CR-V is a very good choice. But it just so happened that I was not very lucky with mine -- the car is less than two-month old, and I have already been to a dealer twice. My advice is -- try it, and if it does not pull to the right, makes no clunking sound when you shift, has no rattling when you drive, and otherwise behaves normally AND you like it -- then go for it!
  • krn3krn3 Member Posts: 10
    I test drove a 2005 CRV LX AWD yesterday. The sales person was great not to pushy. I loved the CRV: the seat was comfortable (I have a bad back and the seat wasn't an issue), It was roomy enough for my 2 teenagers in the back seat (1 is 5'6"). Cargo space was pretty good. I am down sizing from a mini van. The problem is, i did feel it pull to the right. Because of what I've been reading about the PTTR I am nervous about going through with it. I see that the Honda Service Bulletin is dated April 29, 2005.
    http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Honda/1114758000000_1115622000000_05-022/index.html
    Has anyone had this done and did it fix the problem.
    I test drove a 2005 CRV AWD yesterday. I really liked it. I noticed the PTTR. How did they finally fix it on your vehicle??? I am nervous about buying one, but it fits what I want perfectly and the seat is comfortable for my back problem.
    Reading ANY of these boards is enough to scare someone away from buying ANY make of car! A CRV is a GREAT choice! We love ours!

I have ridden in and driven, literally hundreds of CRVS and I have yet to feel one pull to the right or have a customer comment on that!

Now, someone will quickly jump in and try to discredit me because of what I do for a living...sell Hondas.

Still, if you are that scared, you should probably buy something else.
    The more I read and research about the PTTR. It seems as though the CRVs made in Japan are fine and the ones made in England seem to have the problem. The dealer told me that the LXs are all made in England which is what I've been looking at, I really don't want the extras on the EX. The EXs are made in Japan. I am on my way back to the dealer to try another LX (England) and compare it to the EX (Japan) I'll let you know what I find out. fyi: message #3002 said that the Honda TSB 50-022 Service Bulletin dated April 29, 2005, fixed her PTTR. That's encouraging. Anybody elses fixed???
    correction to #3010 message: So sorry I have cars and models going like crazy in my head been car shopping all weekend. I got the CRV models wrong LX (england) and the SE (japan) sorry.
  • trishrtrishr Member Posts: 1
    After eliminating the Forester as a possibility (I couldn't believe how poorly it rode and how noisy it was -- not to mention the confining bucket seat -- how does this car rate so well in satisfaction??!!), I've opted for CR-V 4WD LX. Since Honda never seems to have to offer any dramatic specials, and since the year of the vehicle becomes more important when it comes time to buy a new one, can anyone offer any words of wisdom as to whether I should jump on a 2005 now or wait until the 2006s hit the lots?

The dealer couldn't tell me when the 2006s are due, but he knows that they are continuing to manufacture 2005s thru July, 2005. He also didn't know what slight improvements -- if any -- will show up on the 2006s, nor was he aware of the possible price increase. His guess was that if Honda follows its usual trend, the 2006 model may cost $200-$300 more -- which would make it worth it to buy a newer model, depending on whether they'll knock off around $1000, which they WILL do with a 2005.

Thank you!
  • steve royalsteve royal Member Posts: 82
    isell,

In this instance, we are not discrediting because you sell Hondas, we discredit you because you are not aware of the extent of the problem and have yet to drive a vehicle that Honda now admits pulls to the right. What you need to do is start driving the 2 wheel drives where most of these problems exist. It's easy for anyone to state that they have not experienced a problem if they have never driven the year and model of car that exhibits the problem or have driven a limited amount. That's like me saying I've driven in hundreds of Fords (which I have) and never experienced the PTTR problem. Although, true, the reason I did not experience PTTR is because I did not drive the Year and model that exhibited the PTTR (i.e. SHO edition of Ford)

Since you continue to conveniently leave out your prior assessment of why you have not experienced PTTR, let me keep the public up to speed with your statement:

"Someone mentioned this is more of a problem on the 2WD models? In my neck of the woods these don't sell very well...I've probably sold maybe three since 1997. IF THESE DO HAVE A PROBLEM I WOULDN'T KNOW SINCE I CAN'T REMEMBER THE LAST TIME I WAS IN ONE.")

I would appreciate if you would add the above statement that you previously made in one of your posts to all your future comments to the readers' inquiries into this subject. That way, I do not have to continue to monitor you.

Your statements, although perhaps true, are more than a little misleading and yet you continue to make them. Steve
    My CRV LX was made in Japan, and it did have the PTTR, so I am not so sure about "CRVs made in Japan are fine." It is funny they are telling you that all LXs are made in England because they were telling me exactly the opposite -- all LXs were made in Japan. I guess, depending on where you are, you can find LXs made in either Japan or England.

Yes, as I already said, they fixed the PTTR on mine. They did rotation first, then alignment, and neither helped. Then they called the Honda Service Line and were told to do the TSB 50-022. They did it, and it seemed to fix the problem.

I have a different problem now -- a clunking sound when you shift from Drive to Reverse. Has anybody noticed it or is it just a single-car problem??? Please, let me know! Thanks.
    (romanm #3014) Glad to hear the TSB 50-022 fixed your problem. I went to the CRV dealer again yesterday as I mentioned in message # 3010. This was the second test drive of two different 2005 CRV LX AWD. I took an extended test drive (1 hr) yesterday again the PTTR was felt. The Sales Manager told me he had never heard of any complaints of PTTR and had never experience it either. I then explained again what I felt, pulling to the right when accelerating. He then told me that if it was happening when accelerating it was completely normal. He continued with, "PTTR is a completely normal function of torque steering". "On a 2WD, FWD, or AWD if it isn't sensing that it needs AWD it uses FWD, the vehicle when you accelerate the right wheel is doing the pulling, so when you accelerate the right wheel will pull to the right slightly, it will accelerate ahead of the left wheel causing the pulling to the right, once you maintain a constant speed the pulling will stop". I mentioned all the complaints about PTTR and the TSB 50-022 fix. He checked with the Repair Shop about the TSB 50-022. Their reply was "it was a fix for the 2003s there is no problem with the 2005s". I had a FWD car many years ago and it never pulled to the right on acceleration. I may try another dealer and see what they know about the TSB 50-022 fix. If there really is a fix and the Dealer is aware of the problem, I would gladly buy a 2005 CRV, if they would do the fix before I drove it off the lot. Best of Luck convincing the Honda Dealer of the PTTR issue and of the fix. As much as I really like the interior and exterior of the CRV. I am researching into buying something else, not sure what it will be yet. Maybe an Escape (Tribute and Mariner same car), one bad thing so far with the Escape 4cyl automatic is the MPG is way off the estimate and no where near as good as the CRV, thats a real down fall.
    Yes, I keep forgetting that this seems to be restricted to the 2WD models.

I don't need to be "monitored"

The vast majority of CRVs sold nationwide are 4WD so I doubt many people would need to have a concern. Just drive the car first and make sure it doesn't have a pull. Easy.
  • mafernamaferna Member Posts: 83
    The TSB applies to both FWD and AWD, so Honda is acknowledging there is a problem with AWD as well.
  • kfranci2kfranci2 Member Posts: 31
    Hi all, we are considering purchasing a manual transmission CRV and it does not have armrests (only auto.s do). Has anyone installed armrests in a manual CRV? We don't want to buy one if we can never have an armrest. I'm guessing the seats have the holes/attachment points for them since they are probably the same seats that come in the auto, but i don't know for sure. thanks for your help - Kevin
    With a small engine, the RPMs in the CR-V are higher, and torque steer increases as RPM increases. This is another reason why many of the larger vehicles won't demonstrate the problem - they don't wind up enough.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem - since Honda issued a TSB there must be one - just that if you really gun any CR-V, you will feel a little drag to the right. I haven't noticed it myself, or maybe I compensate automatically. But I never noticed it, even on my initial test rides.
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    The dealer couldn't tell me when the 2006s are due

The new model year Hondas usually show up at the dealer in mid-to-late October or early November.
  • max_harveymax_harvey Member Posts: 2
    Good Day;

I have a 2003 CRV EX Automatic - 24,000 miles (39,000 km), great shape, well maintained. I am a conservative driver. Must say I loved the car. That changed.

About 5 months ago noticed a dramatic reduction in mpg (from about 27 to 19 highway - 9 l/100 km to 12.5 l/100 km) and it seemed to rev higher (at 60 mph (100 km/hr) at 2350 rpm vice 2000 prm). 0-60 mph is now about 12 secs. It was peppier. Dealer ran a number of computer checks and nothing came up. Said all was OK. First indicated cold weather, 240 straight highway miles was OK on a full tank, then my tires (215R7515 vs 205R7015) were the likely cause. Same tires since purchase. I don't agree this is the cause (2/5th of an inch wider) for such a dramatic change and wanted to check with this forum berfore I spend $500 on new tires. I feel I am going through the motions and the problem will not be solved.

No incidents to explain other than a boost but dealer ruled that out. I think there is some bad info going into computer (sensor?) causing car to work harder and burn more gas. Asked to confirm all wheel drive wasn't engaged but did a wheel turn test on hoist and all was well. Other than computer tests at idle and 2180 rpms (VSS of 55 mph/91 km/hr) and fuel consumption run, no parts replaced. No codes, no MIL lights.

Any ideas? Very frustrating, costly. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Max.
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    I'm guessing the seats have the holes/attachment points for them since they are probably the same seats that come in the auto, but i don't know for sure.

I don't know for sure in the 2nd Gen CR-Vs (2002-2005), but the manual transmission 1st Gen CR-Vs (1997-2001) did _not_ have the mounting bracket in the driver's seat like the automatic transmission models. There was an accessory armrest available for the passenger side.

jjproducts.net sells an aftermarket armrest that comes with a mounting bracket you install, that fits an driver's seat armrest to a manual transmission CR-V (either 1st or 2nd Gen, LX or EX). It's covered in the same material as the interior so it'll match the seats. It doesn't look like they have a leather wrapped armrest for the SE models.
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    I recently test drove a CR-V for the second time. The first was an automatic EX at dealer A. It pulled hard to the right when you let go of the steering wheel, whether I was on the gas or not. That is not torque steer (I have an Audi A4 Turbo with front wheel drive and know what torque steer feels like. I mentioned and demonstrated the vehicle's pull to the right and the salesman (who I bought my second Ody from last year) seemed indifferent to the situation. He said he hadn't heard of pulling being a problem with the CR-V. Needless to say I didn't buy that vehicle, as I really want a 5 speed and just wanted to drive the car (he didn't have any 5 speeds in stock).

My second test drive at dealer B was in an EX 5 speed and again it pulled dramatically to the right any time I let go of the steering wheel. It did this while coasting or accelerating, but went straight under braking. I again demonstrated this to the salesman and he acknowledged the pull and also mentioned that most of them did that. He even said that he went in to talk to the mechs about it and said that they said there was nothing that could be done about it. He also said that people even notice it when they do the test drive but buy the car anyway. I told him that I would never buy a car that pulled like that, but that if he got a 5 speed in that didn't pull to give me a call. He pretty much gave up on the sale at that point, and I haven't heard back from him.

By the way, both were EXs and both were built in England. I think that most of the England cars go to east of the Mississippi and the Japan built cars go west of the big muddy. Just what I think.

I would certainly recommend taking a copy of the TSB in with you for your test drive if you are serious about buying this car and don't accept any vehicle that pulls like that in the test drive. Have it completely fixed prior to signing any paperwork.

Thanks to the folks who posted the link to the TSB! I plan to take that in the next time I go to drive one if the dealer ever gets a 5 speed in stock.
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    and my dealer has BOTH "British" CR-Vs and "Japanese" CR-Vs. I bought mine about 3 weeks ago and insisted on a Japanese one. Seems fine.
    Hi all, we are considering purchasing a manual transmission CRV and it does not have armrests (only auto.s do). Has anyone installed armrests in a manual CRV? We don't want to buy one if we can never have an armrest. I'm guessing the seats have the holes/attachment points for them since they are probably the same seats that come in the auto, but i don't know for sure. thanks for your help - Kevin

I have a 2005 EX manual, I just spent an hour this saturday at the online parts dealer actual shop ( http://www.fairhondapartsforyou.com ). They let me take out the storage arm rest and play with it. While there are holes for the armrest mounting in the frame and the storage one comes with its own base, the bolt holes don't match with the base, but the swivel hole matches. My options were to drill holes in the seat frame (tough job) or in the arm rest base. The stock holes are not treaded either, the ones on auto are threaded. The storage armrest has adjustable tilt, which allows for it to be position in such a way that it is not interfiering with shifting.

I decided to wait until JJ products comes out with 2005 armrest, the interior colors are different from 2002-2004. Although the storage armrest from Honda is for both driver and passenger (wide) and it costs alittle over $100, I think I will go with JJ products and get separate driver and passenger arm rests (almost $200).

I had the guy look up the armrest parts from the auto CR-V, seems like you would have to buy a whole bunch of parts to put it together at a cost of $170 a pop.

I also noticed that center tray in the manual is inverted. The cup holders are toward the rear (not to interfiere with shifting), while on the auto the cup holders are to the front.

It is still worth getting manual, the joy or control and speed is not comaparable with minor conviniences that arm rest brings. My last car did not have arm rests either (2002 Civic Si)
    With a small engine, the RPMs in the CR-V are higher, and torque steer increases as RPM increases. This is another reason why many of the larger vehicles won't demonstrate the problem - they don't wind up enough.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem - since Honda issued a TSB there must be one - just that if you really gun any CR-V, you will feel a little drag to the right. I haven't noticed it myself, or maybe I compensate automatically. But I never noticed it, even on my initial test rides.

CR-V is primarily FWD, with AWD when needed. Many other SUV's are primarily RWD, with 4WD or AWD engaging the front. There is no torque steer in RWD. Honda knows how to eliminate torque steer, you need equal lentgh drive shafts, like the V6 powered Accords and TL's. Although, I don't think CR-V has a torque steer problem, it more poronounced on un-even pavement with any FWD car that has more than 100 HP.
  • kfranci2kfranci2 Member Posts: 31
    Wow, thanks for all the info! I went to jj products and checked out the armrest too, you are right, the tan color they have on there will not match the new Ivory color interior. We used to have a '90 accord without an armrest and i agree it's not a life-or-death thing. Just a nice convenience to have. You are pretty sharp to notice the armrest is inverted! Do you know if anyone out there makes a color-matched storage box to put underneath that flip tray? For me, the walk-through feature isn't important, i'd rather have a real console with storage. it would be nice to have a box that slides out from underneath that tray.
    The 2 CR-V AWD LXs that I test drove they both pulled to the right, the pull to the right happens with any amount of acceleration not gunning it. I guess I understand that gunning it may cause a drag to the right. If I held the wheel loosely with any amount of acceleration I experienced a pull to the right (extreme drifting to the right). I don't think a vehicle should pull to the right with a small amount of acceleration, like experienced in normal driving conditions on the highway (adjusting speed up and down). If steering wheel is held loosely even in city or straight highway driving with any amount of acceleration it would pull. I assume, but haven't tried it, that even in cruise control on the highway that while maintaining a constant speed by acceleration it would probably pull to the right. I don't think that with normal highway driving you should have to hold the wheel tight to maintain a straight drive, this would become very tiring on a long ride. When driving the car it feels like your correcting a car that is way out of align. It can't be good on the tires and the alignment driving like that. When you say gunning it I assume you mean perhaps accelerating to pass someone on the highway or maybe entering the highway from a ramp, in any of these cases you would hold the wheel for control anyway. I still think that would be dangerous if you didn't expect it.
  • alzy2k5crvalzy2k5crv Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 CRV w/98k on it. I just had the timeing belt and water pump, trans service, valve adjustment, rear diff fluid change, all done at my local Honda dealer and now it seems that the engine idle drops a lil to much sometimes, almost (but not) stalling when I have the A/C on and I am stopped like at a light.It makes a sort of clicking sound almost like the idle is getting so low the AC compressor is kicking on and off. I dont see how the things I had done could have had any effect on the idle but not sure why it's been acting up or how to resolve problem. The only thing ive done SINCE this problem started is change the spark plugs ( genuine oem) as they looked to be a lil worn.... Any one else ever experience this....Please advise Thanks very much....Al
    I have not experienced anything like this with my 2003. I am at 31K miles. Drive the car you will buy! Also, make sure you are on a road without a significant "crown", where the sides of the road are lower than the center...

Thanks to those who pointed out that torque steer does not affect RWD; I was assuming Hondas, which are all FWD or limited AWD.
  • darsheredarshere Member Posts: 7
    I had the strut mounts rotated as indicated in the service bulletin TSB 50-022, however, the same problem still exists. I have researched this problem and it appears that it may be the Sub Frame Tracking needs to be adjusted to the right. I am still working on this problem and will post any new information.
    The service bulletin for my CRV did not correct the PTTR. I am now looking at the sub frame tracking.
    Had this done and did not correct the problem. Still working on this with the dealer.
    Tires were rotated and crossed and an alignment performed. Then the service bulletin for the strut mounts was performed. Still the same problem.
    I am still dealing with the PTTR issue. Not only does my vehicle do this, I test drove another vehicle with the mechanic at the dealer where I purchesed my vehicle and he noticed the problem as well. I have been researching this issue and someone had the sub frame tracking adjusted to the right (not sure how much) and this corrected the problem.
    I have this problem with my vehicle as well and had the service bulletin performed without any change. They also rotated the wheels and criss crossed the wheels without any change. After investigating this matter I found someone that had the sub frame tracking adjusted to the right (not sure how far). This is my next goal and will post the results when/if I can get this done at the dealer.