Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• mukuchanmukuchan Member Posts: 7
  • mukuchanmukuchan Member Posts: 7
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    LA Auto Show is worth the visit regardless, but I haven't heard.

Maybe call Mazda's 800 number and ask about it. Closer to the show, I'm sure the previews will let us know, but it would be nice to plan ahead.

-juice
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    It would be stupid for Mazda not to bring the 6 to LA show. LA is one of the biggest auto market in US which is dominated by Hondas and Toyotas; they should bring it to show SoCals the zoom-zoom 6. I would be pissed if they don't; it's about the only reason that I'm coming to LA show this coming january.

BTW, our Protege5 is going to be replaced with Mazda6 Wagon when it comes out next year; hopefully.

zoom-zoom
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Does it go from West to East? The only one I am capable of attending is the NY auto show cause it's the closest one. Are we the last ones to see the models?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    No real way in which the auto show circuit works. It definitely doesn't start in the west as Miami has the first auto show of the year. Miami and Orlando have already had there shows. New York is the last big city to see the auto show.
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Not West to East. Detroit gets its show before Minneapolis. NY Show for 2002 is 3/29-4/7.
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    Just read about the 2002 Detroit show on Carpoint. They did not list the Mazda 6 as debuting at that show. It therefore, most certainly will debut at the LA show.

I'm sure though that the 6 will be shown at the Detroit show, just not premiering there. Still hoping the wagon will be close to the Protege5 in looks. If it is they've got a buyer.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    You haven't seen one? They are everywhere around here. Checkout Mazdausa.com It's a nice looking wagon too. Much better looking than the WRX Wagon.
  • focusmatt2focusmatt2 Member Posts: 106
    Yeah. Austin is for some reason one of the most Mazda-towns in the world, because the dealerships (all owned by Roger Beasley) has managed to expand to the size that it's almost impossible NOT to buy one. I see Protege-5's all the time.
    Thanks for the clarification. I see them around town too, I just didn't know they had a special name given to them.
  • clk2001clk2001 Member Posts: 3
    I finally saw some pictures of the new Mazda 6 and have to admit it looks great, especially in that bright yellow.
    The NAIAS (Detroit) will be in January, and I just now read that the Mazda 6 will premiere there on January 8th in a press conference. So it should be on the show room floor as well.

I believe the order is Detriot, then LA, then NY. Smaller shows go on year round. The DC auto show actually starts in December and continues into the New Year, so I'm not if Miami can even make that claim. ;-)

-juice
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    Miami is actually at the end of the chain, in November
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Not true. It's been advertised as the first international auto show of the new model year in the news, which makes sense since most new models start showing up around October-November.
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    As a current Pro owner and a prospective buyer sometime next year of another car, I'm interested in the 6. Getting a car with minimal noise in the price range of a Camry V6 is a priority. Can anyone tell me if Mazda's design strategy to reduce noise in the 6 by I believe by using harmonics rather than sound insulation works over the long term? By that I mean, when the car ages is this going to increase noise whereas the sound insulation that they saved by doing this would have had the same effect over a longer term??
    Miami's organizers are splitting hairs, then. The first show of the model year? Either way, most cars premiere at auto shows well before the beginning of the model year. And all shows are international, can you imagine an auto show with only GM and Ford?

In the US, significant model premieres are usually at Detriot. NY is probably 2nd, LA 3rd (usually where stylish break throughs debut), and Chicago 4th.

-juice
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    Well, I guess Miami is the first to show what's currently being sold at all dealerships. All the concepts thought get shown first elsewhere.
  • jonbgoodjonbgood Member Posts: 157
    I sure hope if they use a Ford Tranny on the 6 - they don't engineer it like they have on the current 626 w/ 4cyl. You can't even change the tranny filter w/out disassembling the entire transmission. Is that great engineering or what? When I asked my Mazda mechanic (27 yrs of experience) what I could do to help my '99 transmission last he said "set aside $2k for a new one - you'll probably need it". Not what I wanted to here.
    The CD4E is junk. It was bad in the Contour, it was bad in the 626 4 cylinder, and it's been bad in the Tribute.

The good news is Mazda is putting a 5 speed Jatco automatic in the MPV. I hope they make that the corporate standard, and drop the CD4E entirely.

Until then, I would not even consider a Mazda with the CD4E. Read the 626 threads if you disagree.

-juice
  • ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    The following excerpt is taken from an article referred to in an earlier post:

New 5-speed Automatic and Manual Transmissions

Mazda 6 provides a choice of manual and automatic transmissions for each engine offering.

The transmission line-up has been optimised for Mazda 6's responsive driving character, refined character and ease of operation, engineered specifically for the higher torque outputs of the engines. The transmissions also excel in efficiency, durability and longevity.

"We've devoted a great amount of attention to shift quality using the Miata as a target," Saruwatari said. "The results are pleasantly matched to the driving dynamics of the new Mazda 6."

The manual transmission range includes:

• The Mazda G5M five-speed is designed to give the four-cylinder engine line-up crisp, short-throw shifting feel and low shifting effort in true sports car style. It features new dual synchronization - a high power synchronization feature for responsively quick shifting, easier shift effort and precision engagement - for the first and second gears.

• The A5M transmission is used for leveraging the higher-torque engines, including the V-6 gasoline engine and the diesel variants. This five-speed manual transmission also features Mazda attention to detail for optimal shift quality.

The automatic transmission range includes:

The FN four-speed automatic transmission is designed for use with the new 4-cylinder range, up to the 2.3-liter engine. The highly responsive, smooth shifting nature of the transmission has been optimized to match the engine's character.
    Crisp, smooth gear changes for increased passing and merging performance - elements of Mazda's DNA - are achieved on the 4-speed automatic with the addition of a new oil pressure control module. Gear train receives a new heat treating technology, refined lubricant system and enhanced computer controls, enabling the transmission to handle Mazda's high powered 2.3-liter 4-cyl. without increasing the weight or size of the transaxle.
    A JATCO 5-speed transaxle is fitted to V-6 equipped models. Its robust construction is ideal for the higher torque output of this engine. Smooth shifting quality for its specific application in Mazda 6 was a priority in its design configuration.
    Hmm, I doubt it has the gear-oil-filled turret that the Miata's shift lever sits in. At least they're aiming high.

The 4 cylinder gets a 4 speed auto, that means it's likely still a Ford unit. At least it's supposedly improved. I'd strongly recommend the Jatco and the V6 if anyone here drives auto.

-juice
    Checked with Mazda CS, told me that Mazda 6 is not going to be shown in LA Auto Show, bummer. Same goes for San Diego Auto Show in February; what the heck are they thinking. They should try show the new 6 in as many auto show as they can. At least a few hundreds of ppl is going to see it; free marketing, duh. I'm pissed now.
    That is hard to believe. I know that the Mazda 6 sedan will be shown at the Detroit show next week. I will be attending. Still with the car due out next fall you would think that they would want to give it some expoure, especially on the west coast.

Wish they were showing the wagon in Detroit, but I hear that's not the case.
    Well, not quite free. They have to produce enough for all the shows (many are simultaneous), and then ship them everywhere.

Also, they still have to sell the left over 626s.

OTOH, LA is more of an import market than Detroit, by far.

-juice
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    The Mazda 6 will be made near Detroit, so maybe that is why it is shown there. Also, NAIAS is more prominent and even the Asians are intorducing product next week in Detroit instead of LA. Such as the Honda Pilot.
    The Mazda 6 will be made in the plant near Detroit, so maybe that is why it is being shown there. Also, NAIAS is more prominent, and even the Asians are intorducing product next week in Detroit instead of LA. Example, the 2003 Honda Pilot.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Bummer. I was hoping they'd fish around with all three variations on the 6.

What's Mazda NA's customer service line? I'd like to find out what shows they're premiering the 6 at near me.
    To contact Mazda's cust serv rep, I went to www.mymazda.com, login, then click the "Contact Us" link. They don't list their email address, but you filled out a form then one of them will contact you. Off-course you can then reply to those emails from the rep.

Since they're not gonna show it anytime soon on any of the auto show in SoCal, I'm just gonna go sneaked into their Irvine,Ca parking lot and hopefully see one there :-).
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Take pictures, please! :-)
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    live web broadcast of the Mazda 6 unveiling at NAIAS in Detroit. Guess the hatchback is coming to US after all. If I'm gonna upgrade (I have a Protege right now) the hatchback 6 will be on top of my list, very nice looking!
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Go to:

http://www.mazdausa.com/autoshow/detroit/main.asp

Click the mazda 6 press release for some official details straight from mazda, such as - manual and auto available on both engines!

Looks like the 6 won't be out until 2003 calender year(per press release). I need to buy in November 2002 so it's not likely I can wait.

Everything I had read previously indicated a Fall, 2002 debut.
    They need the new car yesterday! The 626 looks so old and dull. Looks like more rental 626's will be sold until next year!
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I was told by Mazda today to expect the mazda 6 sedan in September. I will be driving the Mazda6 at the national dealer meeting in california in a couple weeks. I can't wait!!

rich
    Do you know which models will be available and when?

I'm interested in the wagon. Any chance of seeing that vehicle in showrooms by the fall?
    I bet only the sedan arrives first. I may have to put my wife in the hatch, though. She doesn't want a wagon but we need more cargo space than a sedan offers.

-juice
    Audia8q, can I come with you to the national dealer meeting :-) jk. I'm so jealous of you guys. Do you know wwhere exactly it's going to be at? maybe we can sneak in and take some pics of it for our forum readers. I for one can't wait to see the car in person. I'm getting either the wagon or hatchback.
    Expect the sedan first...They have been very vague about the availability of the 5 door and wagon..I will get all the details in a couple weeks

The national meeting is at the corp HQ in Irvine, CA.
    I just hope that we don't have to wait until spring 2003, a whole year, before the new cars come out!
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    Jee,I put the purchase of my Altima on hold because I wanted to wait for the Mazda6,although the Altima is tough to beat I still want to make a final comparison,but now it looks like it is going to be a longer wait than originally thought,bummer.
    If you like the way BMW's drive then you will love the Mazda 6

Rich
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    That good?!
    That's very good. At least for me.

I think Mazda tells the world that they're not releasing the car until early 2003 because they don't want to scare ppl who buys the 2002 626s away. I still thinks that the 6 will appear in showrroom sometime in Nov/Dec.
    That is a long wait for me. Maybe too late. Our 2nd kid arrives in July and we may need something sooner.

-juice
    I talked to some Mazda reps at LA Auto show this past weekend about when it's going to be available. One of them said Nov/Dec for sure and yes, both sedan and hatchback is coming and will be released at the same time. Another rep who seems to know what he's talking about told me it could come as soon as early summer ( I think he meant late summer; but early summer is even better :-)) but he again menationed that for sure by Nov we can all buy the new zommy "6". I can't wait.
    I'm not getting my hopes up. The MPV 3.0l was supposed to arrive at about the same time last year, and won't be here until February. We'll see.

-juice
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    February for the MPV? I could have sworn I saw one this past weekend, a 2002 model. This was in the Washington, DC area.
    I'm hearing next month. I left my name with two dealers to call when they arrive, and neither one has called yet. I also got a mailer for a freebie if I come in for a test drive, and it says Feb, too.

-juice