Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
The main page has a link to an early first look, and here's another link to more photographs and discussions.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=128418&page=1

Even more pictures at
http://www.km77.com/marcas/mazda/6_02/galeria.asp

I seriously think this will be the biggest competitor to the Camry and Accord, and if I were buying a car in this segment soon, the Mazda 6 would certainly be on the top of MY list!

I wish, though, that the V6 would have nothing to do with Ford's (relatively reliable, but still a Ford) Duratec 3.0l! Come on mazda, we know you can make your own nice 6-cylinder engine!

Comments

• maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I just finished reading about the new Mazda 6, and I think it's the best birthday present I could have asked for!! Makes me glad today is my birthday. Anywaz, I am definately considering it, my postion of the top three cars I am considering has changed. It's now the New Altima, Mazda 6, or Toyota Camry SE. I have yet to see the new Accord, but I am considering it as well. This is going to be the toughest decision I have to make around this time next year. Remember all the fuse about the new Camry and Altima last year and earlier this year, now all I hear people talking about is the new Mazda 6, every car related forum has a topic about it. It's really a nice looking car, looks much better than the current Accord, which has looked dated to me since the 2000 model year, the Camry, the Galant(it still looks good though) and the new Altima(only slightly to me.)

I have been considering the new Altima since I saw spy pics of it last fall, and I waited and waited for it to debut, then when it did, it had that subpar interior design/material, I hope this car doesn't suffer with the same problem. If Nissan had giving the new Altima better material in the first place I would probably have one right now. Maybe they will next year.

Not only is the sedan a nice looking car, the hatchback and the wagon look pretty darn good as well. I really like the hatch, the yellow color is TIGHT!!

If any of you know of any mazda or mazda 626 related websites(outside of the ones on Edmunds) please post them for me, they would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Maxamillion
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    I think the sedan version bares some resemblance to the IS300. (C-piller, clear tailights)

As for the 220hpV6 I'm amazed that people complain about this being inferior horsepower. It wasn't long ago that people could only dream about 200hp on a midsize low priced sedan. I have a Galant V6 with 190hp and its very quick.

I sure as heck don't need a 240hp Altima. I'd rather spend the money on an upscale interior or other items that I want. Speaking of interiors, I've read that Mazda plan on making the 6's interior very Audiesque with upscale styling and materials. That would be a big selling point for me. I'm in the market late next year and was thinking about the G35 or X-type, but I'd much rather spend less money and my assumption is we're looking at the low to mid 20's for the "6".

If the car looks right in person and the interior is upscale it will get a serious look from me.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    screw the altima and camry.

Protege style! and attitude!

More room and storage.

(No flames please) Rock solid Duratec motor. Powerful 4 cylinder also.

Its too bad its not on sale here for a year. I want one now!
    dash looks too much like a chrysler.

why can't they duplicate the dash of the protege, except a bit larger?
    Were did you read the information on the interior, any pics of it?
    Thanks in advance
    I think the sedan version bares some resemblance to the IS300. (C-piller, clear tailights)

As for the 220hpV6 I'm amazed that people complain about this being inferior horsepower. It wasn't long ago that people could only dream about 200hp on a midsize low priced sedan. I have a Galant V6 with 190hp and its very quick.

I sure as heck don't need a 240hp Altima. I'd rather spend the money on an upscale interior or other items that I want. Speaking of interiors, I've read that Mazda plan on making the 6's interior very Audiesque with upscale styling and materials. That would be a big selling point for me. I'm in the market late next year and was thinking about the G35 or X-type, but I'd much rather spend less money and my assumption is we're looking at the low to mid 20's for the "6".

If the car looks right in person and the interior is upscale it will get a serious look from me.
    Read about the interiors some time ago when Mazda's chairman was previewing the new models of the next few years for the press. He mentioned Audi-like interiors.

No pictures but there is one interior shot in the second link on the first message of this thread.
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    I realize the new 6 is not a direct replacement for the Millenia. But having now seen pictures of it, and being 60 years old, my opinion is that Mazda has aimed it straight at much younger people. The exterior styling is great, and youthful. The titanium look of the console, does not appeal to me at all, nor does the overall scheme of the seats etc.

Congradulations Mazda, it appears to be a great replacement for the 626. But some of we old geezers are not going to be too pleased with the new themes. My new Millenia is much more to my liking.

The only problem I can see, is that with what you have done, you are eliminating the only models you have that appeal to the mature crowd.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I love it. Gorgeous. The hatch and especially the wagon, too.

I noticed something funny. The new Millenia looks like a 626 (I actually mistook one for a 626 last week), while the new 6 looks like the old Millenia, at least the headlights and front. Kind of funny swap, no?

No offense, but car makers are after younger and younger demographics nowadays. 18-25 year olds are trend-setters, so generally what they think it cool becomes cool, no matter how dorky it may seem to us.

I don't fall into that range of age, but I do like the sleek nose, the swooping C pillar, and even the jeweled tail lights. Get used to the look becaues it'll be more and more common.

I like the wagon the most. Offer AWD and the SUV market would collapse.

-juice
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    nothing is wrong with more HP. Mazda has always stayed on the conservative side, HP-wise. So has Nissan, until recently. Nissan has upped their HP, Mazda should have done the same.

Also, Mazda has been talking a lot about its rotary engine and about resurrectig RX, version 8 this time, with the rotary engine. So why do they stick a Ford Duratec V6 in this car that otherwise looks so good?

Ruski and my cars
    1996 supercharged Buick Riviera - 240HP, 280lbs*ft torque
    1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 240HP, 280lbs*ft torque
    1999 Chrysler 300M - 253HP, 255lbs*ft torque
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    I guess Mazda has another new car they can zoom, zoom about.

The car looks very nice...i agree w/ everyone here. Is it based on a new chassis? what kind of suspension setup will it have? Let's not get too excited about every new car that we see.
  • malibuinscmalibuinsc Member Posts: 10
    I always been a Mazda fan. I love there handling, style and powertrains. I just wasn't crazy about the current generation 626 when it was introduced. It forced me to buy a Chevy Malibu. However we do own a 1991 626 which is a blast after all these years to drive spiritly. This car resembles a mid 90's overseas market Mazda Eunos 500 which was based on a 626. I think I will jump all over this once it debuts. Watch out Altima on the styling front!!! If weights not a problem, hopefully speed and power will compare to the Altima also. Camry is out of the picture here, its still to lackluster for me.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I thought the Altima looked hot, but its interior is disappointing and its too big for my tastes. This new 6 is perfect! Sporty looks, nice interior from what I can tell, powerful four banger, and not too big. I'm glad Mazda decided to go back to its sporty roots and offer something different from the blandmobiles. I'm also glad they didn't go the route of the Altima sizewise. The 6 can snatch up the marketshare left by the old Altima which sold reasonably well. There are a lot of people who like the size of the current Altima and 626, but with most cars getting bigger, there is a large gap forming that should help generate a nice niche market for the 6. I have one request: MAZDA WILL YOU PLEASE PLEASE SEND OVER THE 5 DOOR HATCHBACK??? I think it looks better than the sedan and offers a unique option in the mid-size segment, along with better cargo carrying ability. Anyone else prefer the hatch over the sedan? If so, make your voices heard in the slim chance that Mazda is watching these boards and decides there is a market for it. The only "what were they thinking?" I don't get is the new name. Just the number 6 is rather stupid; they should have given the car a real name.
  • danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    Did anyone notice the slot in the gated shifter for the sportshift mode?

http://www.km77.com/marcas/mazda/6_02/gra/3.jpg
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    No - I didn't notice it when i first saw it, but I'm sure people will appreciate that feature. This will probably be the first family sedan (oh, the Passat beat it to th gates) with a manumatic.

Not that it matters to me, my next car will be a manual - but that does look like another feature that will draw buyers to the 6!

Go Mazda!
    Mazda did up the horsepower. From 170hp to a whopping 219hp, a huge increase.

Remember this is a light car, and any more power is going to result in nasty torque steer (which is the Altima's Achilles' Heel). I think even at this level of power it should have AWD, with FWD only on the 4 banger.

I like the hatch, but the wagon's even better.

-juice
    I don't know why, but I prefer the Hatchback to the sedan, it looks better. I really don't care about which model I get, I just want them to bring it over here!!!
  • himomerhimomer Member Posts: 59
    Did anyone notice the rectangular cut-out on the top of the dash? I wonder if it is a flip up navi screen!
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Try the Sonata/Optima. Bring on that yellow hatch, however.
    Which has been here since 1998, and has been in Europe since 1997. The Sonata/Optima haven't had it quite as long as the Passat.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    Hopefully, Mazda has made some engineering adjustments to control torque steer. The Millenia S, which is front wheel drive, has 210hp/210lb-ft and has no torque steer.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    I'm not sure of the year it appeared, but the Dodge Intrepid has had Chrylser's AutoStick for many, many years now.
    http://www.elmundomotor.com/elmundomotor/2001/10/16/coches/1003262288.html

of some more mazda 6 pictures

I can understand fwatson's anxiety at this car being entirely youth oriented. However I will say this.......its about time we started getting "youth oriented" sedans availbale in the American market. I love a car like the Protege5 or MP3 and would love to have the chance to buy a larger version of it.

I've been harping all over this board that because a car has 4 doors is no reason it should ride or handle or look any less sporty than the best performing mainstream cars out there. Now with this car and the Altima we are finally starting to see a FEW youth oriented sedans hit the market.

I was raised in staunch GM country in the midwest and to this day so many of my relatives think cars like a Buick LeSabre or Olds 88 are the cats meow. Still today if the car doesn't carry a GM nameplate these people are shocked you would even consider such a thing. I have driven so many Buicks in my life I'm so tired of them.

Throughout the 90's you saw people gravitate to Audi's and BMW's because of their image, but also their vehicle dynamics and sporty looks. The Nissan Maxima and Taurus SHO were successful in showing that mainstream marques can produce capable sporting sedans. And let's not forget the poseurs like the Bonneville SSE, that maybe looked the part and had some throttle but did not extend the goodness to the whole package. And yes even Ford softened up the SHO late decade and it too became a poseur. The GTP Grand Prix was successful in the power department, and looked nice but did not seem to approach the handling prowess it needed to to become a complete all around sporting car it could've been.

And no flames please, because I have owned an 89 and 99 SHO. The 89 was a fiesty car, and the 99 is good too, but not as quick in handling or snap neck power. Yet, it is one of the best late 90's cars available to most of the public if you wanted a car with reflexes, sporting looks, and go. A car that gets the blood flowing. A car that makes you feel youthful. A car that won't numb you or put you to sleep.

Like a Camry. Like an Accord, Avalon, Century......hey no offense, but if you want a mature car.....there's MANY to choose from. So I welcome with open arms any maker that brings to market a sedan that is youthful, vibrant, on edge, and doesn't sacrifice sportingness or looks just because it has 4 doors.

God, that yellow Mazda 6 is gorgeous. Mazda could really bust open what the new Altima started, with these new aggressive looking cars.

Earlier I said the dash looked Chryslerish. I might modify that a bit. Some parts of the console, radio and climate control look a bit Intrepid like. The top of the stack looks a bit like the GMC Envoy. The overall shaping of the dash looks a bit like the Ford Mondeo, too. I'm warming up to it.

• adamg25adamg25 Member Posts: 3
    This question may be premature, but has anything been said about the pricing and/or first availability?
  • ttlttlttlttlttlttl Member Posts: 24
    I prefer the hatch over the sedan too!
    does anyone know the length, width, wheelbase of Mazda 6?
    manumatics have been available for a few years in family sedans, not just in the Passat - Dodge Intrepid has had autostick for a few years and I think Stratus has it available.
  • 1702817028 Member Posts: 45
    I just wanted to give Mazda kudos for turning out these protoype designs. The hatch and the wagon are great looking, even compared to Euro cars. We've had enough of the "if it is ugly it must be a great car" mentality for Japanese cars.

I notice with some interest that Audi is now the design leader. Both the new Nissan Altima and the Mazda 6 are taking style cues from their cars.
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    I'll start off by saying that I'm 21 years old...but Mazda has completely missed me with the New Mazda 6. I'm not into these new sporty cars...I like luxury over sport. In my almost 6 years of driving...I've only owned Mazdas.
    1991 Protege DX
    1994 626 LX
    1999 Millenia w/Premium Package
    As of this week...2001 Millenia S
    I love the Millenia...but this will be my last Mazda.
  • tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    I've never thought of Mazda as a luxurious car company. They have always struck me as a sporty company with a few boring sedans. They appear to be fixing that problem...

I bet that the new 6 will have option packages to turn it into a BMW-esque luxury vehicle. Meaning luxurious and comfortable without sacrificing it's sporty roots.

Give it a chance before dismissing Mazda - this car will probably be more than you think it will. And if you still decide to stop buying Mazdas, they don't need to worry - if this car is everything it looks like it is going to be (and they bring the 4-door hatchback to the US), this will be my first Mazda. I had been dreaming of the day Ford brought the Mondeo ST220 here, but I think that I like this one better. And I miss my old Civic hatchback.
  • focusmatt2focusmatt2 Member Posts: 106
    Mazda will have a really fantastic lineup if they update the Protege to the "3" and make it based on the Focus platform,

The 6 sedan, hatch, and wagon- although I doubt the hatch will make it over here *sniff sniff*

The Miata (which they should rename the MX-5, as it is called everywhere else)

The MPV, and the Tribute

I'm quite impressed...Mazdas have always been good little cars, light years better than Mitsubishis in my opinion.
  • focusmatt2focusmatt2 Member Posts: 106
    Mazda will have a really fantastic lineup if they update the Protege to the "3" and make it based on the Focus platform,

The 6 sedan, hatch, and wagon- although I doubt the hatch will make it over here *sniff sniff*

The Miata (which they should rename the MX-5, as it is called everywhere else)

The MPV, and the Tribute

I'm quite impressed...Mazdas have always been good little cars, light years better than Mitsubishis in my opinion.

And, milleniaman1, I'm sure there will be wood-grain and leather options on the new 6.
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    Mazda has said that it will be bringing the hatch over here to the US! I am first in line! Things are really starting to heat up over at Mazda.

Go Mazda!!!

Zoom Zoom Zoom

P.S.- I highly doubt wood grain trim, it would ruin the interior IMO. I love, love, love the brushed alluminum inside of the 6, very upscale and sporty.
    is it really brushed aluminum or is it 80's style boombox plastic?
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    I know Mazda is not a luxurious car company...I do not consider my old Protege or 626 to be a luxury car...but the Millenia was designed from the ground up to be a Luxury car. If you anyone doesn't already know...Mazda was going to start its own Luxury division called Amati...the Millenia was going to be the flagship sedan. The new Mazda 6 does not have these same roots. I really like the Millenia a lot, because it is unique. It's not a clone of anything like the Maxima and I35 or the Camry and ES300. I suppose I've owned enough Mazdas anyway...I plan on keeping my Millenia S for about 5 years.
  • djcunnindjcunnin Member Posts: 8
    I noticed in one picture there is a gated shifter with manumatic mode, in another there's an old fashiond non-manumatic...is one maybe the four cyl, and the other the 6.

At any rate...I absolutely LOVE the looks of this car, inside and out. I am a big Nissan fan (especially the Maxima), and I just walked away from an incredible accident where my Maxima literally saved my life....I may buy another, but this car is gorgeous! I wish it was out now so I could test it.

Way to go Mazda! If the price and performance are right..this will be a big hit (as long as it tought traditional Japanese quality)
    The 4 cylinder will have an optional 4 speed automatic, while the V6 will have an optional 5 speed manumatic, notice I said optional, meaning a 5 speed manual will be standard!!
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    The problem with autoweek is that they make a lot of assumptions. Many a time autoweek has predicted the wrong thing or provided wrong information. All the reports that I have seen indicate the 5-door will be coming to the US. Also I do believe that is really aluminum trim but what ever it is it sure looks snazzy. It really sets the interior apart from other cars.

Zoom-Zoom!
    From what I read, Mazda execs have said that all three versions will be available in the US, the wagon due to the fact that the wagon is making a comeback in the United States, and so are hatchbacks. I hope to see all three versions available around this time next year.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Edmunds.com's Preview of the 2003 Mazda 6 is now linked in the Additional Resources box on the left sidebar of this page. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • rickrozrickroz Member Posts: 26
    I just read the review of the mazda 6. What a sharp looking car. The article said something about the U.S. having crappy gas. Does anyone know what they meant by this? I know our diesel contains more sulfer than the europeans but this doesn't apply to this car.
  • stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    It looks like the next "6" may be an attractive and sporty car. Although, I'll have to reserve judgement until next year when the car is more then just paperware here in the US. Some cars look better in person and some don't. I do hope they bring the hatch here. I've always been partial to the more utilitarian nature of a hatchback when dealing with cars this small. IMHO, if executed properly, a hatch can look better then a sedan which appears may be the case with the 6. I also wish Mazda marketing would have put a little more thought into the name, (along with losing the zoom-zoom stuff which reminds me of a Hot Wheels toy commercial... grow up already). Although, the name game is hardly a new problem at Mazda.

The Mazda 6 will have to offer something special to overcome the new Altima which seems to have assumed the mantle of styling and power leader in the midsized sedan marketplace. I had been thinking that for my next car I would be moving a bit more upscale to either an IS300, BMW 3 series, Jaguar X-type, or maybe the soon to be released Infiniti G35 (I also like the Millenia but hear it may be going away soon). At any rate, the new Altima has definitely given me pause and a 6-cyl hatchback/sedan from Mazda might garner my interest if they don't skimp too much on the final execution of the 6 to shave a few pennies from the car. Besides, no matter what anyone says, RWD (not the X-type of course) is just not the best year round platform here in New England. Besides, I'm always looking to spend as little as possible for any car considering how poor an investment they are.

But, like most car enthusiasts, I want what I want if you know what I mean, which probably explains how I ended up owning an RX-7 convertible some years ago. Heck, for that matter I still am very much a big fan of the Nissan Maxima which also appears to be getting better all the time. I just love all these choices.
  • bdesaibdesai Member Posts: 24
    first of all i must say that the new "6" looks very fine, very european, very sporty and agressive. I currently own a '98 Camry (my wife insisted) that I could care less for, and a '88 626 hatchback with 176,000 miles on it and which I still very much love. I had counted Mazda out of my possible next purchases because the company seems to have changed. From sporty it went to boring and crappy. And this whole Ford thing and its parts in Mazda cars is also scarry.
    But hey, I love the look of the new 6 and if they bring the hatch and the wagon to this market than I am in. If they bring the sedan only they will never be able to take on the likes of Toyota/Honda. I feel that if Mazda wants to take on more market share than the only way to go for them is more creative/young/sporty niche. Toyota and Honda are hard to beat in the mass market category.
  • bdesaibdesai Member Posts: 24
    The reason Toyota and Honda do well is because of reputation that has been created by years of reliable products. You can compete with that level of reputation and name overnight. I mean if you have similar products for exactly the same price from Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Mitsu, Suzuki, Nissan, Ford, GM then which one is the customer going to take a chance with. He/She figures they can't go wrong with a Toyota/Honda. SO, the only way another japanese company has a chance, is with niche products which the Toyota/Honda are sure to omit out in their zeal to sell to the masses. I learned that the Toyota reputation is a little over rated personally. Our Camry has this rattle comming from the left B pillar that has not been fixed after numerous visits to the dealership. The car otherwise is rock solid but rather boring, the interior is uninspiring. My Mazda hatch on the other hand has also been rock solid. With 176K miles I have mostly done wear and tear items ie. exhaust x3, brakes x4, tires, CV joints, rear wheel bearings. I put a quart of oil in between oil changes which is expected in a car this old. My major complain has been with all four power windows whoose electric motor still works fine but this plastic cogwheel in the regulator has cracked in all 4 windows. But still to this day it is a joy to ride in this car.
    The first has some info about other exciting things Mazda has in the pipeline -

http://www.canadiandriver.com/previews/mazda6.htm

And

http://news.24.com/News24/Wheels24/News/0,3999,2-15-47_1096699,00.html

And this has a bunch of specs (including wheelbase, someone was asking about it)

http://news.24.com/News24/Wheels24/News/0,3999,2-15-47_1096699,00.html

Hmmm, ventilated discs - a first for this car class? And 18 inch wheels? Hopefully Mazda doesn't price this out of the range of its competition! Still very exciting, though!

This link also has an image of the RX-8, more mature now than at the earlier autoshows. I like the yellow and black interior!

• diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    I'm not digging the clear tail lights, though.

Let me have mine with crystallized red, and a clear white strip running through it like in the Accord's.

Other than that, the 6 looks very sharp, especially in hatchback trim. Even the wagon manages to look sharp.

Too bad they had to make do with Ford's V-6.
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    ashutoshsm: Your third link was the same as your second. I think that you are missing the link that mentions the specs.
    I say sell the sedan and wagon as mainstream, but sporty, sedans.

Then offer the 5 door hatch as a specialty sports car. Give it the V6 tuned like the Jag's, for about 240hp, and a limited slip front differential to better manage that amount of power. Better yet, give it AWD standard. 6 speed manual only. 18" wheels.

Sound like fun?

-juice
    its fine. get over it.

show me anyone with a 96 and newer taurus duratec where something was actually wrong with the motor. That motor is solid as a rock. No oil burned....unlike a GM Northstar motor.

Its also a quick revving and lively powerplant, coupled with the right transmission.

durable, quick revving. at least its not that tired old 3800 that GM's been building since the middle ages.

If its good enough for Jaguar it must be good enough for Mazda.

And if the Mazda engineers spend enough time with it, tweaking it, I'm sure it may be improved enough to be even livelier and more durable.
    http://autonet.ca/autonetStories/Stories.cfm?storyID=3497

Thats the link with the specs (sorry about the previous snafu, gerapau!

Heres a link at blueovalnews.com (Ford forum and website)
    http://www.bonforums.com/cars/mazda_6appeal.htm

And here're the specs at ford's website
    http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=527&press_section_id=398&make_id=227

As for the Ford Duratec, I do tend to agree - I mentioned earlier that it was one of the only reliable engines made by Ford! My cousin has a 99 Taurus (bought late 99, used, with more than 60K on it now, no problems at all!

I had been thinking about the fact that the Taurus and Mazda Tribute are not offered with manual when coupled with this engine - thanks for mentioning the Jag X-Type; now I know it can work with a stick!