Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 SUV

senneca01senneca01 Member Posts: 34
Check it out, the new Volvo XC90 SUV!

New Volvo XC90 SUV!

HALDEX Electronic AWD System

210 hp DOCH Inline-6

272 hp DOCH Bi-Turbo Inline-6

7-Passenger Forward Seating

70/30 Split Rear Tail Gate

Bi-Xenon Headlights/High Pressure Wash

DVD Navigation System

Roll-Over Protection System

Dolby Pro-Logic Harmon-Kardon Sound System

DSTC/EBD/ABS/EBA

Comments

• mark189mark189 Member Posts: 107
    Looks interesting. I wonder how it will match up with the MDX? Offers more hp on the turbo v-6, and side curtain air bags for all three seats. Side impact air bags are an important safety feature. The MDX only offers them in the front row. Do you know if these deploy on impact, or only on rollover?
  • kjookjoo Member Posts: 27
    It now what i plan on replacing the V70XC with , in our garage..............................................
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    I wouldn't be surprised if this thing competes more in the range of the BMW X5 and Mercedes M class in terms of pricing than it would against an MDX. For that amount of safety, I wouldn't expect it come cheap.
  • agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    IT LOOKS TO SMALL TO HOLD THREE ROWS OF SEATS, AND WHEN XC90 IT COMING TO MARKET
    I agree this will be priced higher, maybe much higher than the MDX. That's another reason to like the MDX. I'd also add reliability (based on track record anyway). However, I'll still definitely give it a good look.

One important thing to keep in mind. Demand is still strong in this category, so we'll probably see many other strong new products.
  • she1122she1122 Member Posts: 33
    Will the XC90 be available in 2002?
  • drewsrxdrewsrx Member Posts: 57
    The XC90 should be available in late spring as far as I know, and the price in Sweden bases at about $33,900. It will probably start here at about $2,000 more than the MDX and Volvo intends it to compete with the X5 and ML. Some of the info in the first post is wrong. The 210hp engine is a 2.5 liter turbo Inline-5, not an Inline-6. Yes, it does hold 3 rows of seats, Volvo has said so in their press release. This thing is as big as the MDX or bigger.

Swedespeed has a discussion going on about it right now.

Swedespeed Forums

• bobbyknightbobbyknight Member Posts: 121
    I like it very, very much. It looks like a roomy version of the X5. Worried about the price, I have a feeling it could get at or above $50K very easily. A Volvo V70XC maxes out at about $44K. Can't wait to see the interior!
  • pr0tagonistpr0tagonist Member Posts: 7
    i'm sold. oh boy.
  • sherb2000sherb2000 Member Posts: 9
    I have been waiting for this moment!

I have always said when Volvo offers an SUV there will be no other option.

I am in! I hope I can afford this car. Any official incite on the price?

There is no link on Volvo.com for this SUV? Are they still hiding it?
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Seeing this vehicle at this year's NA auto show. Maybe it was just the prototype because it wasn't really that big. It's very nice looking, though.
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    when will the new volvo be sold? any info on that?
  • falcon74falcon74 Member Posts: 67
    If this SUV drives as good as it looks I think Volvo has hit a homerun!!! Does anyone know how much the XC90 will cost??
    according to local dealer, the price will be in the 40-45 range, depending on engine. they have been told to expect the car in the may/june timeframe, but they said they generally add 2-3 months on to that...
  • lwberrylwberry Member Posts: 1
    The XC90 has spiked my interest but I'm worried about the costs associated with Volvo maintenance and warranty coverage. I've heard that it costs alot for standard Volvo maintenance, not to mention bigger repairs and that the warranty is really specific on who can and can't do routine maintenance. Does anyone have any info on this?
  • xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    I saw the XC90 at the Los Angeles auto show last week. It is even better looking in the flesh than in photos. Chalk one up for Volvo.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    what the tow rating is? I know all Volvos, except the 40 series, can tow 3300 pounds. I would hope this XC90 would offer more towing than that.

Bob
  • skimmelskimmel Member Posts: 43
    Can you provide any details? I'm specifically interested in how much cargo space there is behind the 3rd row seats.

Thanks.
  • xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    The XC90 was rotating on a platform, so even though the tailgate was open I couldn't determine how much cargo space there is.
  • skimmelskimmel Member Posts: 43
    Thanks for the reply!
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Hi

Would this help judging the available luggage space with all three rows occupied?:

There are some movies available on the European websites [enter via www.volvocars.com]

Kind regards,
    Birger
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    From the brochure.....

VOLVO XC 90 KEY FEATURES

• Electronically Controlled All Wheel Drive
    • Roll Stability Control (RSC)
    • Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)
    • Dynamic Stability Traction Control (DSTC)
    • Driver and front passenger supplemental restraint system (dual threshold air bags)
    • Side Impact Air Bag for driver and passenger front seat
    • Inflatable Side Curtain (IC)
    • Side Impact Protection System (SIPS)
    • Whiplash Protection System (WHIPS)
    • Moonroof
    • Seat belts: 3-point inertia reel, automatic pretensioners for all seating positions
    • Power driver's seat
    • Premium Audio System including 305W Dolby ProLogic II Digital Surround Sound
    • Rear Sat Entertainment, includes 7" roof mounted monitor and DVD player (retailer installed)
    • Safe Approach and Home Safe Lighting System
    • Security system with siren and battery back-up
    • Two-step remote entry, central power door locks
    • Power/heated rearview mirrors
    • 40/20/40 split rear seat
    • ISO-FIX compliant
    • Integrated Center Booster Cushion
    • 16, 17, or 18 inch alloy wheels
    • Fog lights
    • Front skid plate
    • Roof rails
    • Rear door child safety locks
    • Rear seat Audio Outlets with separate radio controls
    • B-pillar ventilation outlets (C-pillar on 7-seat variant)
    • Night Vision
    • Rear wiper/washer

VOLVO XC 90 TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Suspension
    Front: MacPherson strut, coil springs, hydraulic shock
    absorbers, stabilizer bar
    Rear: Multilink independent with coil springs, hydraulic
    shock absorbers, stabilizer bar

Steering
    Power assisted rack and pinion

Brakes
    Four-wheel power assisted disc brakes
    Four-channel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
    Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD)
    Electronic Brake Assistance (EBA)

Exterior Dimensions in Inches
    Length: 188.9
    Width: 74.4
    Height: 68.5
    Wheelbase: 112.6
    Track (Front): 64.3
    Track (Back): 63.9
    Turning Circle: 39 feet
    Ground Clearance (Curb): 8.6

Engines
    Volvo XC90 T6 (268 bhp)
    Six-cylinder twin-turbo engine producing 268 bhp (200 kW) @ 5200 rpm, torque 280 ft-lbs @ 1800-5000 rpm,
    Available with four-speed Geartronic transmission

Volvo XC90 2.5T (205 bhp)
    Five-cylinder light-pressure turbo engine producing 208 bhp (154 kW) @ 5000 rpm, torque 236 ft-lbs @ 1500-4500 rpm,
    Available with five-speed Geartronic transmission
  • eman5eman5 Member Posts: 110
    I'm guessing it is the same system as in some new Cadillacs.
  • gerry14gerry14 Member Posts: 12
    See discussion on swedespeed.com under xc90 Safety: The Sights are set on Leadership:

Night Vision uses a heat-sensitive camera that is fitted just below
    the headlamp on the left side, about 70 cm (27.6") above the road
    surface. The camera registers the infra-red radiation that is given
    off by the surroundings, generating a video image whereby warm
    objects such as people and animals are shown as light objects
    against a dark background.
  • shellymeister2shellymeister2 Member Posts: 115
    Unlike other vehicles that you see in photos and then they appear different in the flesh, the new XC90 looks almost exactly the same in real life. It's pretty good looking (IMO), a little sleeker than the MDX and the X5, it appears a little smaller in stature than the previous 2 even though it is almost exactly the same dimensions as the MDX. There is very limited space behind the 3rd seat, to answer a previous question, but no less than the MDX. The 3rd seat is very cramped (like most in SUV's this size)but with the 3rd seat folded there is more room than the X5 but not as much as the MDX. I spoke to a representative for a while at the XC90 display and he believed that the pricing for a well equipped version will be about $43-45,000 (sticker). He seemed to be very well-versed in all the details of the new Volvo, so he might be correct on his pricing prognostications. He claimed Volvo was looking to sell 45-50000 units per year in the US. He claimed that the pricing strategy was to place the XC90 between the top of the line MDX ($39,750) and the V-8 X5 (about $54,000). Maybe he knows and maybe he made it all up. I don't know. One of the disappointing aspects for me was the dashboard, which does not look like it is classy enough for a $40,000+ vehicle. I thought the dash on the new Navigator and Land Rover were far more impressive. Before any of you laugh about the dash on the new Navigator- go look at it in the flesh- you will be impressed! And this from someone who can't stand the Navigator. All in all, I really liked the new XC90, and I think it will be a fairly strong seller for Volvo.
    I work for a marketing firm that is doing some work on the XC90 launch and that is the price range we have heard too.
  • smudge3smudge3 Member Posts: 9
    Have just logged onto this discussion group after seeing the XC90 on the Detroit auto show website. This may be common knowledge to "you-guys" but you can get quite a bit of info on the XC90 by going to volvospy.com. Looking foreward to keeping up with all the XC90 news as it certainly looks like a winner!
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    "in the flesh" so to speak, last Friday at a limited preview in Brussels, I'm very seriously considering it as a replacement for my Mercedes ML (with which I'm not at all dissatisfied, it's even my second ML).

The reasons are many: The Volvo offer several features not available at any price on the ML, such as DVD based navigation system, steering wheel controls for audio/phone/navigation, the Night Vision system, a third row that does not intrude on luggage space when not in use, a front passenger seat that folds down if you need to haul long objects.

On the other hand, some of the features that the Mercedes offer over the Volvo, like the transfer case with low range, the full frame and bigger towing capacity, are at the moment not decisive factors for me.

Of course, there is more prestige in driving a Benz than a Volvo, but when you compare the prices, there is some 3500 Euros to earn by choosing the XC90 over a comparatively equipped Mercedes - and you get those features I mentioned earlier. Certainly, the Volvo is less of a "truck", but it's a far cry from "tall cars" like the XC70, Audi AllRoad and the like.

I've been a happy Mercedes ML owner for quite some time, and I might very well be coming back to MB later, but seeing that the next-generation ML isn't due here in Europe before mid-2004, I'll most probably try to get one of the first diesel-powered XC90's in this fall.

Cheers from Luxembourg,
    Birger
    You listed some nice features that the Volvo will offer. Most are offered by the Acura MDX, which sells for around $8,000 to $10,000 less (with dvd NAV the base MDX sells for $37,000)

* DVD based navigation system (MDX has)
    * steering wheel controls for audio (MDX has - not sure about navi controls)
    * a third row that does not intrude on luggage space when not in use (MDX has)
    * a front passenger seat that folds down if you need to haul long objects (not sure how often you'd use that, but nice extra)

One thing the MDX that the Volvo will probably not have, is a high level of reliability. The Volvo should be a very competitive SUV, but if you're price sensitive, I think the MDX is a better buy.
  • rob222rob222 Member Posts: 49
    Read everything on all the websites, watched the videostream from the Detroit Car show and I'm very excited in what I've seen.

This vehicle is not a minivan or station wagan with AWD. It appears to be a "real" SUV, with SUV clearance and off road capabilities (although not really advertised) with tremendous performance, all the technological options that could be offered, and with probably one of the best gas mileages in the class.

Now the wait till October. Hopefully the posts here will increase. The is like the "stove pipe" league (slang: idle conversation about trade rumors between teams) while you're waiting for baseball season to start.

Rob from Sterling, VA.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    I think where the Volvo may fall short of what some folks consider to be a "true SUV" will be in its AWD system. It's not a permanent 4WD system (all four wheels going at once), but an AWD system where power is usually delivered to the front wheels unless slippage is detected. The pros of the AWD system are probably lighter weight and potentially greater reliability, the cons are that in some situations there'd be some slippage until the AWD kicks in.

That said, the Volvo's AWD should be adequate for most applications.

Where the XC90 will beat the MDX is in the plethora of safety features. Side curtain airbags, available bi-xenon headlamps, assisted braking, stability control, enhancements to stability control to prevent rollovers, a heavily reinforced roof structure, whiplash protection seats, etc. The XC90 may well be the new standard in SUV safety. This is not to say that the MDX is not a safe vehicle, it is quite safe, but there are vehicles with substantially more safety features to hit that diminishing percentage of other injury risks.

The Volvo's reliability may not be as bad as some might think. It's based on the S80 platform which recently has garnered at least "average" scores according to Consumer Reports. Though I'd avoid a first year version!

I think Volvo should bundle scheduled maintenance with the vehicle, like the premium German SUV's and wagons (X5, ML320, allroad). Not that the RX300 or MDX have scheduled maintenance bundled, but Volvos in general have a reputation of being very expensive to maintain.

I'm looking forward to seeing it. Won't be able to afford it, but I really like what I see so far.
  • losthat1losthat1 Member Posts: 93
    Does anyone know what the towing capacity will be?
    Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A review and video clip are available in the Helpful Links box on the left navigation sidebar.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    The XC90 (as well as the V70 AWD and V60 AWD) use the Haldex AWD system. This is the same system used by Audi in the TT, S3 and A3, and by VW in the Golf AWD.

It is a reactive system. If the front wheels start to slip, they send power to the rear in miliseconds. It's a very good system.
  • azmuttazmutt Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a new car sometime this year - - my husband is 6'7" - - any news on the interior dimensions of the XC90?
    AZMUTT: A local Volvo dealer sent me a new booklet on the 2003 XC90 and interior dimensions are not addressed at all, neither is tow capability. The exterior dimensions are listed and I will post those if you desire. If any other posteers out there have come upon interior dimensions would you please share on this town hall. Azmutt is concerned about a tall driver; I am concerned about my wife who is a short driver(5'), plus I tow a 2000 lb camper.
  • ladbrandyladbrandy Member Posts: 10
    How's this story, I have been told by the internet manager via emails and in person that they will be accepting the x-plan! I placed my name on the wait list months ago and I was #15 on their list. Now, recently the dealer hasnt contacted me to testdrive one or place my order which I find weird. I am suspecting that he was either lying to me before or just didnt know. It would be nice if he contacted me after I put down my deposit. By the way I am in MA too. I wonder if its the same dealer. What % over invoice did it end up being?
    The website VolvoXC90.com will give you the latest information on this SUV plus provide you with updates.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    I did do a search before I started a thread on this vehicle using a different name. I looked on both boards visually and did a search using the Edmunds tool. I did this on both the wagons and SUV's. I apologize for missing it visually and do not know what happened when using the search tool. Your sarcasm is neither appreciated or warranted.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    Our search engine leaves a bit to be desired. I can find the duplicate discussion just fine looking for "XC", but this one didn't show up at all for me.

Your title seems a better choice, porknbeans, so I'm going to adopt it for this discussion. Maybe other searchers will find it easier that way.

Steve
    Host
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    There is a review with a nice compact description and comparison to other vehicles at newcartestdrive.com Their website is www.nctd.com I've seen it in person and glanced at the specs but I was still surprised to see that it was bigger than the MDX. It doesn't look that big because of its overhangs and proportions.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    volvospy.com has good information as well.
    Preview: 2003 Volvo XC90

Steve
    Host
  • guy44guy44 Member Posts: 67
    I'm surprised that there is so little interest in the XC90 on this site. The Honda Pilot which is due out this year as well has over 1200 posts so far on this Town Hall. I figure the vehicles will be fairly comparable (except for the price) but very little is being said about the XC90. What gives?
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    ...high price? Maybe more people can afford the Honda Pilot and the XC90 is a bit out of most people's budget. I was interested in the Volvo XC 90 also but I don't think I could afford it.
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    The Volvo XC-90 will exceed the price point for most ordinary citizens who purchase SUV-type vehicles. Pilot enthusiasts are excited about getting a reasonable, quality vehicle at an affordable price point (vs. the MDX). But if you look at posting rates for other expensive utes you'll see that they're mighty quiet as well.

Personally, I like what I've seen thus far on the XC-90 and look forward to its arrival.
    also -- the pilot arrives on the heels of their van and the mdx -- like them or not, they came close to the bulls-eye for many buyers -- plus, Honda's reliability and engineering have a much broader audience. plus - the car arrives in just over two months, so anticipation is higher. personally, i wish it were here now cuz i think it looks pretty cool!
  • rob222rob222 Member Posts: 49
    I agree that there is not enough discussion on the XC. Comparable buyers are Toyota Sequoia, GMC Envoy XL or Tahoe. These or the $40k folks and do spend lots of time talking about their cars in Townhall.

My anaylsis of the text, specs, and pics of the XC90 make it more than with a Minivan with AWD (MDX, Pilot, Rendezvous.) To me, it looks like a cross between a Grand Cherokee (side view and clearance) and the Volvo Cross Country Wagon (front and rear.)

265HP Twin Turbo engine, boron steel roof, computerized anti-roll system, night vision windshield, 3 seats with lots of second and third leg room because of the transverse mounted engine are a few reasons why this car is not comparable in quality or snob appeal to a Mazda Tribute, CRV or other cost saving popular cars that everyone owns.

Don't forget the 14 speaker entertainment system-Mommies and Daddies listen up front to their tunes and kiddies listen to their stuff or watch DVDs. Great Navigation system with internet connectivity.

The reason I got hooked on this car is the ground clearance, a whopping 9.6 inches. This beats the Grand Cherokee. Although the Volvo website is careful how they talk about offroad abilities, I am comfortable that I can take it on the beach at the Outer Banks. This beats out every other pseudo SUV in the market.

I am down to the Envoy XL (3seats, comes out in April) and the XC. Come on folks, let's keep the debate hot. Hopefully, I have stirred the pot.

Rob from Sterling, VA GO TERPS!!!