Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Daewoo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rjbradfordrjbradford Member Posts: 2
    many thanks fedupdaewoo, your advice is greatly appreciated. Guess what i'm doing this weekend.
    If you have any thoughts about the cause of the other problem please don't hesitate to put your thoughts forward.

regards
    rjbradford
  • fedupdaewoofedupdaewoo Member Posts: 11
    hi rj, not sure exactly as i am not able to diagnose and check faulty things from so far away, . i am assuming you mean tcm as in transmission control module, ok if it blew first thing i would check is for a faulty ground or either a direct electrical short. may even be a short in your pcm. i see alot of problems occur from the pcm having a short in it causing other things to short out. with all makes and models not just daewoo.
  • beabeabeabea Member Posts: 1
    can someone help me i changed engine on my 2001 daewoo laganza then the transmission would not go in to reverse so i changed transmissions again and still the car wont go in reverse it is an automatic the car does drive and park help please is there something to reset/
  • scotty19scotty19 Member Posts: 2
    A message from over the pond in Bonny Scotland!
    My 2000 Nubira CDX is in identical situation with oil leak, passenger window & mirror faults - I've hauled off the panel and had a look but found nothing and so far the garage said it was a wiring fault - No kidding - but could take hours (and money) to strip out loom to find it.
    If I do get to the bottom of it I'll let you know hope you'll do likewise - in the meantime - at least you are not alone!
    Scotty (Yes we do have roads here in the Highlands of Scotland)
  • scotty19scotty19 Member Posts: 2
    My nubira has been doing the same for months now particularly when accelerating with " nothing wrong" calls from garage.
    sorry no solution. Yet
    hi fangs i would try having the front end checked, sounds like bad tie rod ends or bad ball joints. either one could do that, and either one breaking while driving will cause you to lose control of the vehicle.
  • esperoespero Member Posts: 7
    the chances are you have not fitted the selector cable correctly and it is possible that you are driving in 3 as aposed to D your problem is not too bad just re adjust the selector cable. PROPALY!!!!! :lemon:
  • lanosmllanosml Member Posts: 3
    I've had my lanos for 4 yrs almost. All I've had to replace was the normal brakes, spark plugs/wires, oil ect. It has 78,000 miles on it. Last time I brought my car in for spark plug/wire and oil change I told them to check my belts and replace them if needed. They didn't replace them (not sure if they even checked them), but told me no they were good. In anycase, my timing belt broke (the teeth came off of it). I live at least 2 to 300 miles from a daewoo service station. My dad and a one of his friends are working on the car. I am looking for a timing belt schematic to make sure the timing is correct.

Does anyone have one or know where I can get one? I found a chilton's imported cars book for $60, $90 if I rush deliever it. Although I will order it I would rather have my car fixed quickly. Any help will be appreciated.
  • wooblooswoobloos Member Posts: 12
    I have another problem with my 2001 Leganza. When going up hills or passing other cars, my car cuts out and hesitates. My husband cleaned the EGR value with carb cleaner, but it still does it, and I had a new fuel filter put on. I had the fuel injection system cleaned in Jan.

Anyone have any ideas as to what could be going on?

Thanks.
    Woobloos
  • horndawg54horndawg54 Member Posts: 9
    Have you checked your Air Filter. The Plugs and wires?
    Does anyone know how to adjust the emergency brake cable? the emergency brake on "Woo Two" a leganza if very loose. I understand that can be tightened.

Thanx for you help.
    Thank you for your reply.

I had the oil changed last Tuesday and the air filter was checked and it was okay. Also, I had the spark plugs replaced in Jan, 2006.
  • jeanrvictorjeanrvictor Member Posts: 11
    You may also have lot of build up in the throttle body. Have it cleaned out thoroughly and that just might do the trick.

Thanks,
    JV
    I also had the throttle body cleaned out good in Dec, 2005. Could it be built up again so soon?

Thank you!
  • jeanrvictorjeanrvictor Member Posts: 11
    It wouldn't hurt to check it again especially with this car. Also, did you change the spark plug wires along with the spark plugs?

JV
    hi i can go ahead and tell you i have the 2001 lanos if the belt broke you warped valves. i have had mine to break TWICE i know for a fact your valves are bent, i had to replace the engine both times, so i am good at replacing engines by now, it was much cheaper to replace the engines as i payed 350.00 us dollars for the used engine and it was over 500.00 dollars for a rebuilt head. try www.mccartyauto.com thats where i bought my engines from.
    hi
    check your fuel pressure and if its good have your catylitic converter checked it could be stopped up
    Do you have a lanos or a different model? Also my belt didn't actually break apart.. the teeth just came off. Is that what your belt did? Also how many miles did you have on the car for it to break twice?

I found the schematic for the timing belt for $8 online so I bought that. We have the belt on it has just been really cold, wind, rain/sleet/snow the last couple of days so we haven't been able to finish putting everything back together yet to try it to see if it will start or not.
    Here is just a thought. My lanos was hesitating, the check engine light would come on, and a couple of times this winter it wouldn't start.

Turns out when I had my plugs and wire replaced in november of 04. Part of the spark plug wire broke off on the peg to the distributor coil (where the wires plug into). The tech didn't notice or didn't care that the wire wasn't goin on properly. Also turns out he misthreaded the spark plugs too.

Anyway I found out after I replaced the distributor coil that all that was wrong with it was a metal ring was on one of the pegs causing the wire to misfire. Had the tech not done such a horrible job I don't think my car would have had problems. In anycase, just thought I would mention it.
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I will show them to my husband and see what he can do.

I will let you know if/when it gets fixed and what the problem was.

Thanks again.
  • jbaker2237jbaker2237 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Lanos that up until yesterday was running excellent. It has only 50,000 miles. The pressure in the crankcase is forcing oil out from under the oil cap. I'm wondering if it's a compression ring breakdown or something less benign. I bought this for my son for college just two months ago. Is this still under warrenty?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You could check for a defective crancase ventilation valve (PCV valve), also for oil overfill, and last of all (gulp) a cylinder leakdown test to check for engine wear.
  • eo19xxeo19xx Member Posts: 4
    HI EVERYONE!
    I OWN A 1999 DAEWOO LEGANZA SX AND A COUPLE MONTHS AGO ITS TRANSMISSION FAILED. IT WONT STAY IN PARK, GO INTO REVERSE, OR DRIVE... SO I BOUGHT A BRAND NEW VW JETTA :) , BUT I STILL HAVE MY LEGANZA, SO HERE IS MY QUESTION, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT COULD BE WRONG AND WHAT I CAN DO ABOUT AND IF ITS WORTH FIXING? I BELIEVE ITS A :lemon: BUT THEN AGAIN ARN'T ALL DAEWOOS!!!
    THANKS!
  • nubiracdx2002nubiracdx2002 Member Posts: 6
    For a couple of days my Nubira is taking 2-4 tries before starting in the morning. I also noticed that when I floor the gas pedal the motor revs up and down repeatedly. I suspected problems with gas pressure/ fuel pump. Checked the pressure when opening the gas cap and found little sound. I wanted to check the forum opinion before buying a new gas pump (aprox $200) Thanks for your help
    yes i have the lanos, and the first time (factory engine) the belt just stripped a few teeth off at 65000 miles the second belt (2nd engine that i put in used) just shredded apart. this was a new belt that i put on the used engine so the belt had about 15k miles on it when it broke. i am now on the third engine but its running fine at the moment, i will not put another engine in this car if it goes again do you want to buy a parts car? lol by the way its good to replace the belt every 50k miles whether its broken or not.
    not under warranty as it only has a 3 year 36,000 mile factory warrenty and daewoo did not offer an extended powertrain warranty. but it sounds like just a stopped up pcv problem

p.s pcv is the crankcase ventilation try replacing the pcv valve.
  • bybyemmabybyemma Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys, i have had my lanos a year now, the engine while the car is static runs beautifully, no problems what so ever. The problem im having is that when driving the car which is a manual, it makes a nasty noise when i put my foot the the floor while the engine is going between 2000-3000 revs. I took it to the garage and they replaced the clutch. I got my car back and its still making the same noise, the garage are baffled and im not happy having just spent a fortune getting my clutch replaced to solve this problem. Its obviously a problem between the engine and the tyres and it isnt the clutch. any idea's???? All i can think is that its a belt slipping or something along those lines. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Si
    well the reving up and down is called a rev limiter it is supposed to do that. and if its cooler weather and a fuller tank you wont have much back pressure in your tank, it has vents for the pressure to escape.
    well what kind of noise is it? it may be your belt slipping(a chirping or squealing sound) or it could be the rev limiter that keeps you from over reving the engine. how many miles or km is on the car?
  • donkey1donkey1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,just found this site,very helpful!.I have recently purchased a Lanos 1998.I have just replaced the H T leads but the engine seems to be missing,silly question here,but what is the order for connecting the leads at both ends,im no mechanic as you can tell,thanks!
  • fangsfangs Member Posts: 8
    have the problem fixed it was the lower control bushings both side where bad.

Thanks
  • line3line3 Member Posts: 9
    My 99 Leganza CDX's A/C display went out a few days ago. Nothing comes on the screen (like the temperature, etc), and when pressing any of the buttons (like fan speed, defroster) there is no response.

So checked the fuses and they were all fine. Also other electrical components in the car ok. Any ideas what is wrong and how small/big a problem this may be?

Also, need to get a tune up.. is there anything special i should know about a leganza tune up? thanks.

New to the forum, so here's more info on my car if anyone interested..60,000 miles, no major problems, but lesser problems have included power windows, tranny (when engine is cold, tranny stays stuck in 3rd gear.. only after 5 minutes does it shift to 4), cd changer broke. hope to drive it for 4 more years..maybe 25,000 more miles..
    hi line 3
    sounds like your lcd display is bad in your a/c control head, you need to replace the a/c control head. :lemon: :cry:
  • qdog99qdog99 Member Posts: 19
    Have you had a timimg belt done on the car if so did you have the 2 black roller tensioners replaced that are plastic my car was doing the same thing and i replace my spark plugs,spark plug wires,ignition coil and the car was still misfiring.I found out the hard way i was on my way to work going up a hill and i heard a loud pop and the car cut off had it towed to the shop pulled it apart on of the tensioner broke and all my valves were bent it cost me 725.00 to replace everything but thats only because i did my own work but first make sure your spark plug wires match up with the old ones because i bought some from the dealer and as soon as i put them on my car was misfiring put the old ones back on and it worked fine it was a small difference in the two but i showed the dealer my old ones and they gave me the correct ones the electrical problem is something seperate if you could give me some more detail i will try to help i have been working on daewoos for 6 years i know alot about these cars most of my experience comes from trial and error i have not had to take my car to a shop in 2 years
  • pbroughpbrough Member Posts: 1
    Hello: My daughter just bought a 2001 Lanos with only 34,000 miles on it and it seems to be in great shape. It is an automatic. The only concern is that when I rev the engine slightly while in park or neutral, the engine hesitates or "races". (A vrooom, vrooom, vrooom sound repeatedly.) The car runs fine out on the road. Might this be the normal sound of a rev limiter? Does anyone have any idea what might cause this sound or how serious it might be if not a normal sound? Thanks. Peter
    i have a 99 Daewoo Nubira i bought it brand new with 13 miles and now i have 145,000 miles my car use to do that. i don't know if your car has an idle adjust screw on your gas pedal if you do adjust it to were your tach. reads 900 to 1000 rpms then rev up your engine and see if that works it worked for mine :)
    your probably going to have to replace the headlight assembly. As for the fuel gauge i have'nt seen this bulletin but if you want to get fuel pump all you have to do is pop up your rear bench seat no tools required :)
  • cmatt2cmatt2 Member Posts: 17
    My wife parked the car one evening and when she went to start it the following morning the shifter would not go into drive(or any other gear).I used the unlock slot and it shifted ok.When I placed it back in park it locked up again.Any ideas?
    thanks,
    matt
    i just had this happen a couple of weeks ago. Your brake light switch (stop light) is probably broken. In order to move the car from Park you need to have your foot on the break. Just check your brake light ( I bet there i actually pick it up at autozone. Make sure you give them all you info, like cruise, because there are several diferent. The are very.
  • nubiracdx2002nubiracdx2002 Member Posts: 6
    OK. Thanks. I changed the 02 sensor and the car got better for a couple or days but it went back into the same 4- 5 tries mode before starting. Something helps: spraying starting fluid in the air filter, but I only do it after the third time...Is there anything that can be done to fix the starting problem?
  • marc17marc17 Member Posts: 1
    My left hand turn signal stays on all the time, even when the car is turned off. Have checked relays after putting them back one relay is shorting out my radio. Needless to say no one here doesnt have an answer. do you guys have one
  • gpl71_azgpl71_az Member Posts: 2
    Here's my current issues on my 99 Leganza SE with 78,500 miles:

1. Tinging noise coming from the rear end, sounds like inside the muffler when I give it gas in 1st gear and then goes away. Dealer says I need a new muffler. What do you think?

2. Dash pad. The sun dried up my dash pad and now it looks like a sharks mouth. Anyone else experience this? Was it a bad bacth of dashs in 99?

3. 5 speed is very noisy. Debating on replacing the gearbox and clutch.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated on these items.
  • cmatt2cmatt2 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for your answer.Where is the switch located and how do I check it out.
    Thanks,
    MATT
  • donkey1donkey1 Member Posts: 2
    So no-one knows the answer to this,cheers!
    It is near the brake pedal. As you depress the brake it releases the switch that turns on the brake lights, stops the cruise control and allow the shift to be moved. It has on nut or screw (I forget which) holidng it in place, plus a wiring harness. Mind did not need it, but there is and adjustment to ensure that the brake hits it properly when it returns. It is a simple job, 5 minutes 10 tops, but its location is a back breaker.

It is really not to bad, and again I got mine at an autozone, they had it moved from a different store to mine. It was even in a GM bag.

Good luck
    The dashbord in my daughter's woo was coming undone. I used clear silcone chaulk and squeazed it in. The I clamped it where I could with small plastic spring loaded clamps and in other areas I had these lattice wood strips that I cut to size a little longer than the windshield to the dashboard distance. That extra length allows a little spring action to hold it in place. So on mine I had clamps on the left side, and 3 or 4 wood strips on the right side.

Remember to procted the vinyl so that the clamps and wood do not tear the dashboard. Then before you quit remove the excess silicone.

I let mine sit for two fulls day before I removed my clamps.

Good luck
  • nagpienagpie Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1998 Leganza (manual drive), i can no longer get the gears on it, clutch cylinder appears to be working but seems to not activate the flywheel (no real pressure on clutch pedal at the moment), if i start in gear the car will drive but cannot change gear, i have replaced the clutch but it is still the same. wife had just been shopping & everything worked fine & it just went like this whle being parked (picking daughter up from school). There was no warning sounds or anything!
    Can anyone help?
  • brittaneybrittaney Member Posts: 1
    i drove my car over to a friends house and everything seemed fine but when i got into the car to leave, the shift wouldnt move out of the park position. So i turned off the car, but my key wouldnt turn the car all the way off and its stuck in the ignition. Also, when i turn on the lights, everything else that lights up in my car (clock, air conditioner, radio, cigarette lighter) goes dim or turns completely off. im not sure what to do.
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    Sounds like a dead battery or ground wire problem.
    Could be a dead battery from a bad brake light switch.

Call a service shop or knowledgeable car mechanic to have a look at your car.
  • loswaldloswald Member Posts: 3
    My Leganza (123,000 miles) has been bucking and sputtering on and off for about the last 60,000 miles. I've changed the plugs, wires, valve cover gasket (to keep oil from dripping around the plugs), and fuel filter. Still the car hesitates and bucks at medium acceleration. If I give it full throttle it will usually clear up within a few seconds, but it is still annoying. I've read on here that I should try cleaning the egr but it's not obvious to me where it's located?

Since this is my first post I'll add that my first timing belt failed at 59,000 miles and the second one 51,000 after that. The only thing I was impressed with was the original tires, They passed NJ inspection until they had 105,000 miles on them.

Anyway, thanks for the help!