Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    What are the exterior color choices of the Touareg? Do most of the dealers have one demo for people to sit in? The wife is thinking about trading in her 3 series for a SUV. In consideration are: Touareg and RX330. Test drove a GX and didn't like it.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    I look primarily at 'seats up' configuration.

Jetta has 34 c.f., Twareg has 31.3.

In the CR car issue is a really interesting article on cargocapacity of SUV's wagons etc. Turns out the Passat wagon maximum rectangle size is only minutely bigger than a Jetta.
  • mml7mml7 Member Posts: 55
    However, as an example where numbers can be misleading..my '98 Pathfinder has 85 cu. ft of cargo capacity, yet my brothers Passat Wagon has far more usable space. The problem with the Pathfinder design is that there is only ~38" of width between the wheel wells.

It remains to be seen (at least by me since I haven't been able to make it to any car show that has shown it) what the usable cargo capacity really is.

mike
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    gotta check out the consumer reports article in theri SUV buying guide.
    > gotta check out the consumer reports
    > article in theri SUV buying guide.

OK, I looked at the article. It basically proves my point. The "usable" cargo capacity of the Passat exceeds that of the Pathfinder despite the fact that the volume measurements of the Passat (as supplied by VW) are significantly less than Nissan's published numbers.

Since the Touareg isn't out, and since I've only seen VW's published number, it remains to be seen what the "usable" cargo capacity of the Touareg is.

mike
  • adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    47 grand for a VW? Aren't VWs still "pieces of cr*p?"

seriously - expensive to fix, poor reliability, etc.

Isn't this STILL the case with VW?
  • razorclamrazorclam Member Posts: 6
    adp3, did you just wake up from a six year long sleep??! Where have you been? VW/Audi is hot. They have awesome products! 1.8 Turbo is has been one of the most robust, moddable engines for years. Turbo diesels, and sporty wagons, and stylish sedans. Smell the coffeee my boy! If you are looking for poor reliability, and nasty fit/finish,(except a few like Focus), buy American cars/SUVs.
  • dweiserdweiser Member Posts: 288
    That's German for the Easter Bunny right?
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    near you for the 4th of July!!!!
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    Quote from adp3,

“47 grand for a VW? Aren't VWs still "pieces of cr*p?"
    seriously - expensive to fix, poor reliability, etc.
    Isn't this STILL the case with VW?”

How way off! 5 years into a 98 Passat, never one single complaint, the 1,8 turbo 5 spd is just as sweet as day one, one thing for sure the interior quality of the materials is first class, nothing to envy to a 100k car.

Some trivia, the 1,8 engine won at Le Mans twice in the LMP 675 class, 500hp for 24hrs is not a bad engine, he?
  • dieselbreathdieselbreath Member Posts: 243
    at Vancouver Int'l Auto show.
    It was the V8 ... very nice rig.
    A lot easier to get in/out than the Infiniti FX45.
    But I was surprised there was less leg-room in the back seat of the Touareg than in a Passat.
    Its easily a better buy than the Cayenne, or even BMW X5, but my wife has an order in for a new Passat TDI wagon whenever they arrive ... its a lot of car for the money compared to these SUVs!
    And if I wanted to go upscale, that W8 wagon was really sweet ... the E-class (at $15k more) doesn't have a V8 option, and the 540i wagon (at $16k more) doesn't offer 4WD. The S6 Avant is divine, but its $20k more than its VW twin!
    As far as long-term value, the All-road is amazing. Last time I looked at used values the lowest-priced car was still worth 90% of what it cost new after 2 years and 35,000 kms! Is there a Japanese car built that holds its value like that?
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    I don't think that is possible! BMW X5, which is considered having the best resale value, does not even come close! 90% after two years?? can you show me the source??

Thanks.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    is wort about 85% of it's value after 2 years. Saw a 2001 base that retailed for 35k selling with 35k miles on it for 30k.
    You're talking about going to a used car dealer. Try checking KBB.com or Edmunds.com for used car prices. Or check intellichoice.com.
    kbb edmund etc etc. don't buy or sell cars last I heard hold out or accept their prices and you just got took. Dealers and indviduals buy and sell cars not books or informational websites.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The dealers over in Real-World Trade-In Values may be able to shed some more light on this thread since they are at the auctions every week.

Steve, Host
    If you just go to a used car dealer, there are too many variables to say what the true resale value is. For that, you need to sit down with them and haggle like crazy (as if you're actually planning to buy the car). If you just go and look, then the dealer can mark any price he/she wants. That does not mean much.
  • jmummeryjmummery Member Posts: 11
    Is the north american engine going to be the W8 or a V8?
    is a 4.2L V8; not the W8
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    VW is discontinuing the W8 on the Passat as well.
    is still in the Model line-up for 2004...
  • idletaskidletask Member Posts: 171
    The V10 TDI will be available in the US next year.
    That is according to me...posting on the Vortex...
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    How sure are you on the V10 TDI being made available next year? Is this official? A VW salesman at the auto show here last month had told me only the V6 and V8 would be sold here.
    will be available end of Q1 2004 in 45 States...excluded are Calif., Mass., Maine, Vermont, & New York...

Touaregs being delivered this June/July will be V6 & V8...
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    The dealership where I get my Passat serviced confirmed that the Touareg will be available stateside with the V10 TDI but not until the 2004 model year.
  • poseidonposeidon Member Posts: 30
    Any idea if the tiptronic paddle shifters are coming to the US as well?
    I was searching in Canada.
    New they were about CDN$60k
    Cheapest used one I found was $54k (at a dealer)
    But there isn't as much selection here in Canada, and depreciation may be different than in the US.
    VW/Audi has higher demand in Canada which could lead to shortages of new vehicles, driving up used prices.
    (For example, Jetta TDI wagons are very scarce here on dealer lots ... but popular on the road)

Does anyone else foresee a day when SUV prices plunge as people wonder: "What was I thinking?" ?
    I have not been asleep - I know Audis/VWs are hot, but are they worth it? I've ehard terrible things about reliability. The coil problem in the Audis is criminal, in my opinion. Of course, I would expect all the car makers would do the same to their customers, since none of them seem to actually care about the drivers of their cars. (I expect lots of blah blah blah back on that, but don't give it to me unless you also explain why Audi is treating their drivers so poorly in regard to the coil issue.)

Actually, it you listened to HALF the stuff on these message boards, you could never buy ANY car!!

:-)
    has there been any movement by the California air quality folks to allow TDIs in Calif.?

A friend of mine has a Gold TDI, and he is in Calif., so why no V10 TDIs?
    May come to us in Calif. 3rd or 4th Quarter 2004,
    as opposed to end of Q1 2004 for thr rest of you...
    How much are we expecting the sticker of the V10 TDI equipped T-reg to be?
    $51K
  • skip30skip30 Member Posts: 33
    The V 8 car was right at $51,000 sticker price posted at the LA Auto Show in January. I would guess the V10 TDI to be around $55,000. Skip
    It depends upon added options...2 Zone vs. 4 Zone Climatronic, Winter Pkg., etc. $51,000.00
    will include most everything but a few accessories such as these...also On Star is available as an option...
    Anything north of 50K is pretty much going to price me out of the V10/V8 game. From what I'm reading the V-6 is likely to be a bit underpowered for a 5500lbs vehicle. Guess I'll have to consider my other options.
  • starbstarb Member Posts: 3
    Can someone confirm the dimension of the Touareg cargo space? www.vw.com listed it as 31.3 cubic ft, while some sites listed it as 19 cubic ft.
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Yes, I would like to see some confirmation on that, as well. Either the 31.3 is wrongly converted from cubic centimeters, or the 19 refers to loading to the rear cover/window height, only. Given that the Passat wagon has 39/57, I believe the latter. In fact, for a while it looked like you could deduce this information from the German VW site. But now they have some text that implies 4 values (rear folded or upright, standard cargo or cargo to roof) but they only give 2 numbers... - D.
    I agree. Its a beautiful vehicle, and will go like stink ... but there are lots of nice cars at that price. But here's my take on the market:
    Trailer towing!
    The Touareg will tow 3500 KGs (7700 pounds).
    The Lexus RX300 (a bloated Camry) will tow only 3500 pounds.
    The Touareg's towing capacity blows away the competitors. Throw in Diesel economy and longevity, (with better ride/handling than truck-based options like the Excursion) and I think you'll see them pulling expensive travel trailers and boats and horse trailers. Hell, compared to a Range Rover (the favoured horse puller for the equine crowd) its a bargain!
    The problem with comparing volume measurements from different sources, is that they never disclose how they come up with the numbers they do.

For example, Nissan claims that the cargo capacity of a Pathfinder is about 84cubic ft. In actual everyday use, my brother's Passat wagon can actually carry more than my Pathfinder since the cargo area is squared out. The Pathfinders wheel wells cut into the cargo area reducing the width of items that you can carry to about 38", but since the overall size of the car is larger, it has a larger measured cargo area.

I've only seen a couple of places that have attempted to standardize on "usable cargo capacity", which I believe better reflects a car's load capacity. Until we can get our grubby hands on an actual car I wouldn't trust either number (19.1 or 31.3).
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    in 405 freeway, here in southern cailfornia, and looks way better in motion.
    Do you think it was a tester or maybe the first one sold on the North American continent? Either way, can any of you VW employees shed some light about where the rest of them are?
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    be a tester, the driver was speeding around 85mphr in carpool,while I was chasing from behind...
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    What is the price going to be?
    V6 Base: $34,900 + Delivery (~$615)
    V8 Base: $40,700 + Delivery (~$615)
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Is there anyplace to get option pricing yet? Thanks.
  • starbstarb Member Posts: 3
    A dealer in VWVortex forum posted the pricing. Here's the link:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=827347
  • timmerc517timmerc517 Member Posts: 6
    Here's my dilemma: My family is replacing a 1997 Subaru Outback Limited, and, after 6 years of being behind the wheel of an underpowered station wagon, we're looking for an SUV that's not insanely big or gas-guzzling. I attended the New York Auto Show, and I have narrowed down our decision to the Infiniti FX35 and the VW Touareg V6. Given the pricing (thanks VWVortex.com!) of the Touareg, the MSRP (with air suspension & premium pkg.) seems to be about $1500 more than an Infiniti FX35 with the Premium Package. So, what I'd like to know, is if anyone has the 0-60 time of the Touareg V6. The FX seems to range from 6.9-7.1 - VERY respectable in my book, and hell, it beats what we're driving now. I doubt the Touareg will hit 60 in this time with its V6 power. I haven't come across many times however but some publications call it "anemic". However, the FX has a much more Spartan interior than the Touareg. I am leaning towards the VW after being taken aback by its EXCELLENT interior build quality. It certainly beats Infiniti, Volvo, and Saab in interior style and materials. So... any suggestions? Pay up for a slower but more luxurious VW or a faster and not-as-nice FX35? My mother will need this car (I just got my license, mind you, and I already know more about the two cars than both of my parents) to commute into Manhattan 3 times a week and merge onto several highways to get home, which is why I'm concerned about the 0-60 times. If the Touareg V6 can't merge onto a road like New York's Sprain Brook Parkway fast enough, we'll have to go for the FX35. Please share with me your thoughts (and the Touareg V6 0-60 if possible), as it is hard to be split at a time like this. Thanks!
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    With the FX35 you'll need good 0-60 times, because with those huge blind spots every merge is going to be a Hail Mary...

Joking aside, these are IMO two quite different cars. Have your parents also looked at the MDX and the ML? Or if you don't need the space and luxury, how about the Forester 2.5XT? Your mom will be home an hour early in that one. Then again, maybe not, perhaps she'll go upstate for a brief but exhilarating detour. Of course, there are AWD station wagons out there that are pretty fast (A6, S6, W8 VW), so you don't have to go the SUV route.

BTW, the German VW site has 9.9s 0-100km (~0-60mph) for the V6, and 7.8s for the V8 and V10TDI.

- D.
    I thought about waiting for the toureg but I loved the drive of the FX so much. I love the interior only fault I would say is lack of storage space. I have noticed -0- blind spots while driving and the FX is very quick. If the toureg had three rows of seats I would consider it as a stable mate for the fx but I think the MDX represents a better value plus both will probably have better reliability than the toureg. If I planned on doing off roading I would go toureg.